NATION

PASSWORD

Private schools have the right to government funding

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Gun Manufacturers
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 23, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Gun Manufacturers » Wed May 10, 2017 2:43 am

Neutraligon wrote:No private schools should not have the right to government funding. If parents decide to send their kids to private schools they should be held liable for anything and everything. While private schools should be somewhat regulated by the government, a parent makes the choice to not use the available public education. That is their choice and I should not have to pay for that choice. They want tax payer money to educate their kid? Send the kid to public schools.

By that argument, should I, as a single man with no children, have to pay for some child's education? Shouldn't the parents of that child, by choosing to have that child, be responsible for the costs associated with their education?
Gun control is like trying to solve drunk driving by making it harder for sober people to own cars.

Any accident you can walk away from is one I can laugh at.

DOJ's interpretation of the 2nd Amendment: http://www.justice.gov/sites/default/fi ... -p0126.pdf

Natapoc wrote:...You should post more in here so I don't seem like the extremist...

Auraelius wrote:If you take the the TITANIC, and remove the letters T, T, and one of the I's, and add the letters C,O,S,P,R, and Y you get CONSPIRACY. oOooOooooOOOooooOOOOOOoooooooo

Maineiacs wrote:Give a man a fish and he eats for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll sit in a boat and get drunk all day.

Luw wrote:Politics is like having two handfuls of shit - one that smells bad and one that looks bad - and having to decide which one to put in your mouth.

I didnt vote for Trump
Envoy

Founded: Nov 11, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby I didnt vote for Trump » Wed May 10, 2017 2:44 am

I'm 99% sure that a private school still has to teach a government-approved curriculum so yes, the government should be funding them. Perhaps not equally to public schools, but funding them nonetheless.

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

Founded: Oct 01, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Wed May 10, 2017 2:48 am

Gun Manufacturers wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:No private schools should not have the right to government funding. If parents decide to send their kids to private schools they should be held liable for anything and everything. While private schools should be somewhat regulated by the government, a parent makes the choice to not use the available public education. That is their choice and I should not have to pay for that choice. They want tax payer money to educate their kid? Send the kid to public schools.

By that argument, should I, as a single man with no children, have to pay for some child's education? Shouldn't the parents of that child, by choosing to have that child, be responsible for the costs associated with their education?

Society in general benefits from children having education, and as such society ensures that those children have that education. Parents have the option to use the public schools and have decided against that and should not get to use that public money because they decided to send their kids to private school.
If you want to call me by a nickname, call me Gon...or NS Batman.
Mod stuff: One Stop Rules Shop | Reppy's Sig Workshop | Getting Help Request
Just A Little though

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

Founded: Oct 01, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Wed May 10, 2017 2:48 am

I didnt vote for Trump wrote:I'm 99% sure that a private school still has to teach a government-approved curriculum so yes, the government should be funding them. Perhaps not equally to public schools, but funding them nonetheless.

Why does regulation mean that they should be funded by the public? Should a drug company which is highly regulated in the US get public money?
If you want to call me by a nickname, call me Gon...or NS Batman.
Mod stuff: One Stop Rules Shop | Reppy's Sig Workshop | Getting Help Request
Just A Little though

Gun Manufacturers
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 23, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Gun Manufacturers » Wed May 10, 2017 2:53 am

Neutraligon wrote:
Gun Manufacturers wrote:

Society in general benefits from children having education, and as such society ensures that those children have that education. Parents have the option to use the public schools and have decided against that and should not get to use that public money because they decided to send their kids to private school.

What benefit to society does new football jerseys give us? What about school subsidized trips to amusement parks? How about that new expresso machine in the teachers lounge?
Gun control is like trying to solve drunk driving by making it harder for sober people to own cars.

Any accident you can walk away from is one I can laugh at.

DOJ's interpretation of the 2nd Amendment: http://www.justice.gov/sites/default/fi ... -p0126.pdf

Natapoc wrote:...You should post more in here so I don't seem like the extremist...

Auraelius wrote:If you take the the TITANIC, and remove the letters T, T, and one of the I's, and add the letters C,O,S,P,R, and Y you get CONSPIRACY. oOooOooooOOOooooOOOOOOoooooooo

Maineiacs wrote:Give a man a fish and he eats for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll sit in a boat and get drunk all day.

Luw wrote:Politics is like having two handfuls of shit - one that smells bad and one that looks bad - and having to decide which one to put in your mouth.

Anywhere Else But Here
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 05, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Anywhere Else But Here » Wed May 10, 2017 2:57 am

Gun Manufacturers wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:Society in general benefits from children having education, and as such society ensures that those children have that education. Parents have the option to use the public schools and have decided against that and should not get to use that public money because they decided to send their kids to private school.

What benefit to society does new football jerseys give us? What about school subsidized trips to amusement parks? How about that new expresso machine in the teachers lounge?

https://youtu.be/VjLrFLYGdPM?t=1m13s

United States of Natan
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 21, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby United States of Natan » Wed May 10, 2017 2:59 am

So say the government provides a taxpayer-funded public transportation service. I decide I want to use a private transportation service. Should the taxpayers have to subsidize the higher quality, private service I use, that they cannot afford, but I can, when the money could be instead going towards a public transportation service that I, and everyone else, have the option to utilize at any time for free or at very low cost, especially when that money is really needed for major, major improvements to the public service? And private service cannot support itself without taxpayer money, should it even still be in business? Would it not defeat the purpose of a better, private service paid for directly with my own money, when I could instead be using the also-taxpayer funded public service for less money, and which would instead have more money for better improvements that isn't being used to subsidize a private service?

My point is, taxpayers shouldn't have to pay for private services they don't have the opportunity to use.
Then it's a lie. Everything Fox News says is a lie.
Even true things once said on Fox News become lies.
(Family Guy: Excellence in Broadcasting)

Come check out the Natan Region, a fun, democratic region|Biden/Harris 2020|
Liberal|Progressive|Hillary Supporter|Jew|Pro-Israel|Anti-Trump|Anti-Sanders|Anti-Bigotry

AiliailiA
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jul 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby AiliailiA » Wed May 10, 2017 3:02 am

Gun Manufacturers wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:Society in general benefits from children having education, and as such society ensures that those children have that education. Parents have the option to use the public schools and have decided against that and should not get to use that public money because they decided to send their kids to private school.

1. Public schools provide sports clothing to students?? You must be American ... spending educational money on quasi-professional sports teams is indeed bloody stupid, very few of the schools which do that make a profit from it, but it's not an argument against public schooling itself.

2. Amusements parks, definitely. Instead of just punishments to keep the kids well behaved, outings like that are a reward which can be withheld for bad behavior, and particularly for truancy.

3. Seriously how can you ask that? Teachers without their coffee are a nightmare.
My name is voiced AIL-EE-AIL-EE-AH. My time zone: UTC.

Cannot think of a name wrote:"Where's my immortality?" will be the new "Where's my jetpack?"
Maineiacs wrote:"We're going to build a canal, and we're going to make Columbia pay for it!" -- Teddy Roosevelt
Ifreann wrote:That's not a Freudian slip. A Freudian slip is when you say one thing and mean your mother.
Ethel mermania wrote:
Ifreann wrote:
DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:
: eugenics :
What are the colons meant to convey here?
In my experience Colons usually convey shit

NSG junkie. Getting good shit for free, why would I give it up?

Randsbeik
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Oct 18, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Randsbeik » Wed May 10, 2017 3:03 am

If you want to create another bubble, sure.
Federaal Republiek van Rändsbyk

Don't worry about NationStates stats. Except maybe the tax rate. MT AU Nation.

Hoppean Paleo(ish)libertarian. PolComp: (8.00, -6.31)
Pro: Libertarianism, Capitalism, NAP, Gun Rights, Voluntaryism, Rotary Aircraft
Anti: Communism, BLM, AntiFa, Affirmative Action, Multiculturalism, Direct Democracy, Statism

United States of Natan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby United States of Natan » Wed May 10, 2017 3:06 am

Neutraligon wrote:
I didnt vote for Trump wrote:I'm 99% sure that a private school still has to teach a government-approved curriculum so yes, the government should be funding them. Perhaps not equally to public schools, but funding them nonetheless.

Why does regulation mean that they should be funded by the public? Should a drug company which is highly regulated in the US get public money?

:clap: :)

Should a highly regulated investment banking company be allowed to receive public tax money? Should workplaces, which are subject to regulations on how to treat employees, like OSHA, be allowed to receive public money for that?

Liberal|Progressive|Hillary Supporter|Jew|Pro-Israel|Anti-Trump|Anti-Sanders|Anti-Bigotry

I didnt vote for Trump
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby I didnt vote for Trump » Wed May 10, 2017 3:09 am

Neutraligon wrote:

Because the private school is performing a civic service on behalf of the government. What have drug companies got to do with that?

Demetland
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 15, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Demetland » Wed May 10, 2017 3:13 am

I didnt vote for Trump wrote:Because the private school is performing a civic service on behalf of the government.

That's just where you're wrong.
Eurem yn er·wyll, a·m hudwy i berthyll;
a byδiv drythyll, o armes Fferyll.

Lætabundus
exsultet fidelis chorus:
Alleluya.

I didnt vote for Trump
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby I didnt vote for Trump » Wed May 10, 2017 3:15 am

Demetland wrote:
I didnt vote for Trump wrote:Because the private school is performing a civic service on behalf of the government.

LOL

Is education not a civic service, are private schools not educating students or is it not the responsibility of the government to educate the population?

Which assertion are you going to double down on?
Last edited by I didnt vote for Trump on Wed May 10, 2017 3:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Saiwania » Wed May 10, 2017 3:21 am

The economics of private schools simply don't work unless public schools exist as competition. If education in the US were 100% private sector, you might see a similar situation to how healthcare currently is in the US. The cost of sending your kid to school would gradually become sky high and most simply wouldn't get a formal education of any sort as a result of it being too expensive, and with no regulations; many private schools would be diploma mills or outright scams which don't teach anything useful. The US would flat out become an undeveloped country, much more so than even now.
Last edited by Saiwania on Wed May 10, 2017 3:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sith Acolyte
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken!

United States of Natan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby United States of Natan » Wed May 10, 2017 3:21 am

I didnt vote for Trump wrote:
Demetland wrote:

LOL

Is education not a civic service, are private schools not educating students or is it not the responsibility of the government to educate the population?

education may be a civic service, but that doesn't mean the government has to pay for a private school. Health Care is a civic service, but that doesn't mean the government has to pay for private health care.

Demetland
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 15, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Demetland » Wed May 10, 2017 3:24 am

I didnt vote for Trump wrote:
Demetland wrote:

LOL

None of those, actually.

Education may or may not be a civic service; whether it is or not is entirely irrelevant to the validity of your assertion. Providing mass education is generally considered to be something governments ought to do, I suppose, but they have a state-run system to do this. It is state schools which perform on behalf of the government.

The point is that independent schools aren't doing anything on behalf of the government; that's precisely why they are independent.

They don't rely primarily on government funding, and consequently they can do things state schools cannot: they can employ teaching staff who don't have official teaching qualifications; they don't have to follow the national curriculum; they can arrange their admissions however they like.
Eurem yn er·wyll, a·m hudwy i berthyll;
a byδiv drythyll, o armes Fferyll.

Lætabundus
exsultet fidelis chorus:
Alleluya.

Randsbeik
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Oct 18, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Randsbeik » Wed May 10, 2017 3:24 am

Saiwania wrote:The economics of private schools simply don't work unless public schools exist as competition. If education in the US were 100% private sector, you might see a similar situation to how healthcare currently is in the US. The cost of sending your kid to school would gradually become sky high and most simply wouldn't get a formal education of any sort and with no regulations, many private schools would be diploma mills or outright scams which don't teach anything useful, and the US would flat out become an undeveloped country, much more so than even now.

U.S healthcare is far from private sector; most of what drives costs up comes from gov't interference. Also, some of the best schools in the world are private; so the statement of them becoming worthless isn't quite accurate.
Last edited by Randsbeik on Wed May 10, 2017 3:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
Federaal Republiek van Rändsbyk

Don't worry about NationStates stats. Except maybe the tax rate. MT AU Nation.

Hoppean Paleo(ish)libertarian. PolComp: (8.00, -6.31)
Pro: Libertarianism, Capitalism, NAP, Gun Rights, Voluntaryism, Rotary Aircraft
Anti: Communism, BLM, AntiFa, Affirmative Action, Multiculturalism, Direct Democracy, Statism

The Conez Imperium
Minister

Founded: Nov 23, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Conez Imperium » Wed May 10, 2017 3:29 am

Neutraligon wrote:
The Conez Imperium wrote:
From my perspective, I'm trying to debate this topic on a more theoretical/philosophical level than a practical level.

In reality, private schooling will continue to be government funded in the foreseeable future because of politics and self-interest. A man called Mark Latham, former leader of Labor party came up with a "private school rich list" because some private schools were receiving too much funding. He didn't survive that long (and because of other factors).

You made the argument that there is an ecosystem of sorts that is based around government funding (making me wonder how these are still private schools). I am asking why I should care about this system. I am asking why this ecosystem should deserve the protections you are giving it. I am asking if public schools are unable to take on the burden should this ecosystem fail. Why should I as a tax payer have to pay for something I may not be able to access due to private schools not accepting my kid?

Well that leads into another mileu of argument which is quite fascinating; how private schools co-exist in public schools in educating the populace. Abolishing private schooling because of rights of tax payers is a separate to, are private schools necessary for education to be provided.

In regards to the original argument, to use the nice police example. One man wishing to have the government fund his private police force is non-realistic. In Australia 2016, around 1.3 million children are enrolled in Catholic and independent education (private). 1 million families wishing for the government to fund their schools is a different responsibility for the government to decide on. That is the problem I am forseeing.
Salut tout le monde, c'est moi !

Costa Fierro
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Fierro » Wed May 10, 2017 3:33 am

AiliAiliA wrote:Yeah, if we allow a for-profit industry to cherry pick the least sick citizens, the pool remaining to be served by the government is sicker and costs more per capita to serve.

Much the same with allowing for-profit schools to cherry pick the most talented students with the most supportive home environments. The public schools then have a student body which is harder to educate and costs more per capita to educate.

I'm not sure where you're going with this. Wouldn't it be less per capita to educate seeing as the costs of the education funding are spread out over billions in tax revenues rather than directly on parents? My argument was that private schools function more like businesses rather than gratuitous services in that someone pays an organisation to provide a service for their children.
"Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist." - George Carlin

The Conez Imperium
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Conez Imperium » Wed May 10, 2017 3:34 am

Demetland wrote:
I didnt vote for Trump wrote:LOL

None of those, actually.

Education may or may not be a civic service; whether it is or not is entirely irrelevant to the validity of your assertion. Providing mass education is generally considered to be something governments ought to do, I suppose, but they have a state-run system to do this. It is state schools which perform on behalf of the government.

The point is that independent schools aren't doing anything on behalf of the government; that's precisely why they are independent.

They don't rely primarily on government funding, and consequently they can do things state schools cannot: they can employ teaching staff who don't have official teaching qualifications; they don't have to follow the national curriculum; they can arrange their admissions however they like.

These schools are independent because they can charge whatever they want to their students. Government schools can't demand 30k from their students unlike some private schools. For all intents and purposes, independent schools are still subject to the same teaching regulations as set by the department of education and its relevant authorities. The primary difference is the financing and the leadership of the schools.

I believe that NSW mandateschildren ins schools learn 100 hours of foreign languages. Both public and private schools comply in this. So it really is a civil service (according to the original argument) considering that private schools like public schools interpret the curriculum to their understanding.
Last edited by The Conez Imperium on Wed May 10, 2017 3:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

United States of Natan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby United States of Natan » Wed May 10, 2017 3:34 am

The Conez Imperium wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:You made the argument that there is an ecosystem of sorts that is based around government funding (making me wonder how these are still private schools). I am asking why I should care about this system. I am asking why this ecosystem should deserve the protections you are giving it. I am asking if public schools are unable to take on the burden should this ecosystem fail. Why should I as a tax payer have to pay for something I may not be able to access due to private schools not accepting my kid?

Well that leads into another mileu of argument which is quite fascinating; how private schools co-exist in public schools in educating the populace. Abolishing private schooling because of rights of tax payers is a separate to, are private schools necessary for education to be provided.

In regards to the original argument, to use the nice police example. One man wishing to have the government fund his private police force is non-realistic. In Australia 2016, around 1.3 million children are enrolled in Catholic and independent education (private). 1 million families wishing for the government to fund their schools is a different responsibility for the government to decide on. That is the problem I am forseeing.

The police force thing is just an example that he gave. And the government shouldn't have to pay for parents who opt out of public schooling. They can use public schooling at any point that they choose, if they care about their child being educated with their tax dollars.
Last edited by United States of Natan on Wed May 10, 2017 3:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Frank Zipper
Senator

Founded: Nov 16, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Frank Zipper » Wed May 10, 2017 3:34 am

Is I didn't vote for Trump your puppet Conez Imperium?

EDIT okay I can see it isn't now.
Last edited by Frank Zipper on Wed May 10, 2017 3:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Put this in your signature if you are easily led.

Valgora
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 23, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Valgora » Wed May 10, 2017 3:35 am

The Conez Imperium wrote:An argument I often see on the internet is that private schools don't deserve a drop of money from the government. I sympathise with their statement however I find it inherently unfair that they ignore the right of the taxpayers.

Students in private/independent schools deserve government funding simply because they're parents pay taxes. We say that every child is entitled to an education. Then why aren't taxpayers entitled to their tax dollars being spent on their child's education - whether private or public. In saying, there of course needs to be a difference in contribution between private and public school funding. Most likely, students who go to private schools do not need as much funding as those who attend government schools.

They're called private schools for a reason.
If I paid taxes (I don't have a job anymore because I'm a full-time college student), I don't want my fucking taxes to go to a private school. I would want my taxes to go to public schools.
Plus, private schools are either: for the wealthy or they are religious schools (arguably, sometimes both).
Libertarian Syndicalist
Not state capitalist

MT+FanT+some PMT
Multi-species.
Current gov't:
Founded 2023
Currently 2027

DISREGARD NS STATS
Link to factbooks-Forum Factbook-Q&A-Embassy
The Reverend Tim
Ordained Dudeist Priest
IRL Me
Luxemburgist/Syndicalist, brony, metalhead
Valgora =+/-IRL views
8 Values

Pro - Socialism/communism, Palestine, space exploration, left libertarianism, BLM, Gun Rights, LGBTQ, Industrial Hemp
Anti - Trump, Hillary, capitalism, authoritarianism, Gun Control, Police, UN, electric cars, Automation of the workforce
Sometimes, I like to think of myself as the Commie version of Dale Gribble.

I didnt vote for Trump
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby I didnt vote for Trump » Wed May 10, 2017 3:37 am

Frank Zipper wrote:Is I didn't vote for Trump your puppet Conez Imperium?

Nope, he's probably just another Australian who grew up with a working education system.

The Conez Imperium
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Conez Imperium » Wed May 10, 2017 3:45 am

Valgora wrote:
The Conez Imperium wrote:An argument I often see on the internet is that private schools don't deserve a drop of money from the government. I sympathise with their statement however I find it inherently unfair that they ignore the right of the taxpayers.

Students in private/independent schools deserve government funding simply because they're parents pay taxes. We say that every child is entitled to an education. Then why aren't taxpayers entitled to their tax dollars being spent on their child's education - whether private or public. In saying, there of course needs to be a difference in contribution between private and public school funding. Most likely, students who go to private schools do not need as much funding as those who attend government schools.

They're called private schools for a reason.
If I paid taxes (I don't have a job anymore because I'm a full-time college student), I don't want my fucking taxes to go to a private school. I would want my taxes to go to public schools.
Plus, private schools are either: for the wealthy or they are religious schools (arguably, sometimes both).

On principle that would be right. You're money "theoretically" will not be spent on private schools. It is the tax money of private schooled children, that will go towards funding private schools.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General