NATION

PASSWORD

Trump passes executive order on Religion

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
User avatar
Datlofff
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1393
Founded: Mar 17, 2016
Ex-Nation

Trump passes executive order on Religion

Postby Datlofff » Mon May 08, 2017 10:55 am

On may 4th trump passed a executive order on religious grounds.
That’s because President Trump has directed the Department of Justice to come up with guidelines that will protect people of faith and “ensure these religious protections are afforded to all Americans.”

That means Attorney General Jeff Sessions will be writing guidelines for every federal agency to ensure that our rights are protected.

“No American should be forced to choose between the dictates of the federal government and the tenets of their faith,” President Trump said.

That’s a mic-drop moment, folks.

“We will not allow people of faith to be targeted, bullied or silenced anymore,” the president said. “We will never ever stand for religious discrimination.”


I am quite torn on this issue, on one hand, I believe people should have the right to live and do things based on their religion(So long as its not hurting anyone else). Example being, if a gay couple gets refused a wedding cake by a bakery because they are gay, then the baker shouldn't be forced by the government to bake them that cake, the couple should just go to another baker, thats the free market. But at the same time, I feel that when people are doing government work, such as legalizing marriages etc. They should be forced to follow those laws, but idk.

What do you think NSG

Sauces: http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/04/politics/trump-religion/
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/05 ... eedom.html
Alfredo
Last edited by Datlofff on Mon May 08, 2017 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Im a slightly Authoritarian Moderate, I believe limited monarchies are the best systems of government, and that every 2016 presidential candidate was an idiot.
I personally feel that most people, in the act of trying to sound smart, often usually don't know what the fuck they are talking about.
Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

User avatar
Vassenor
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 71133
Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Mon May 08, 2017 10:58 am

I still don't see where the Bible says that Christians are required to discriminate against homosexuals.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN♀

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

User avatar
Risottia
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 56475
Founded: Sep 05, 2006
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Risottia » Mon May 08, 2017 11:00 am

Source?
nangiqatigillugu kalaałłiit nunaanni
je soutiens le canada / i stand with canada
estoy con panamá

User avatar
United Muscovite Nations
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 25657
Founded: Feb 01, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby United Muscovite Nations » Mon May 08, 2017 11:02 am

Vassenor wrote:I still don't see where the Bible says that Christians are required to discriminate against homosexuals.

There's more to Christianity than the Bible. While I don't agree with things like baking a cake, I could definitely see why a devout Christian wouldn't want to service a gay wedding, especially if they are involved in a specific Church (e.g. my Church doesn't allow clergy to attend gay weddings).
Grumpy Grandpa of the LWDT and RWDT
Kantian with panentheist and Christian beliefs. Rawlsian Socialist. Just completed studies in History and International Relations. Asexual with sex-revulsion.
The world is grey, the mountains old, the forges fire is ashen cold. No harp is wrung, no hammer falls, the darkness dwells in Durin's halls...
Formerly United Marxist Nations, Dec 02, 2011- Feb 01, 2017. +33,837 posts
Borderline Personality Disorder, currently in treatment. I apologize if I blow up at you. TG me for info, can't discuss publicly because the mods support stigma on mental illness.

User avatar
Thermodolia
Post Kaiser
 
Posts: 79496
Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Anarchy

Postby Thermodolia » Mon May 08, 2017 11:02 am

I think we need a source
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

User avatar
Vassenor
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 71133
Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Mon May 08, 2017 11:03 am

United Muscovite Nations wrote:
Vassenor wrote:I still don't see where the Bible says that Christians are required to discriminate against homosexuals.

There's more to Christianity than the Bible. While I don't agree with things like baking a cake, I could definitely see why a devout Christian wouldn't want to service a gay wedding, especially if they are involved in a specific Church (e.g. my Church doesn't allow clergy to attend gay weddings).


So if it's not written down how do you prove that it's an honestly held belief and not just you using your religion as a shield?
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN♀

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

User avatar
The Holy Empire of the Spaghetti Monster
Minister
 
Posts: 3018
Founded: Nov 24, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby The Holy Empire of the Spaghetti Monster » Mon May 08, 2017 11:05 am

United Muscovite Nations wrote:
Vassenor wrote:I still don't see where the Bible says that Christians are required to discriminate against homosexuals.

There's more to Christianity than the Bible. While I don't agree with things like baking a cake, I could definitely see why a devout Christian wouldn't want to service a gay wedding, especially if they are involved in a specific Church (e.g. my Church doesn't allow clergy to attend gay weddings).

How is anything that's not the Bible valid? I'll answer that, it's not. It's just said to be valid by humans, which hardly makes it so, even assuming God is real in the first place.
WE ARE NOT SAPIENT SPAGHETTI

Do not mistake me for a contributor to your political threads. I have come solely to mock.
Tsaraine wrote:Nazis aren't known for their smarts. You don't adhere to an ideology that got flattened under a T-34 in 1945 if you're full of sparks and opportunities in life.
Caelestiam wrote:...wait,
Are we seriously in a dick measuring contest over who has the right to declare law by virtue of the most innocent dead?
Sounds horrible and insensitive.
Proceed.
Ethel mermania wrote:
The Emerald Dawn wrote:One does not simply own one's own body. Not when the GOP can shove its trunk up inside you.

It will be yuge, and you will like it.

User avatar
Audioslavia
Retired Moderator
 
Posts: 3918
Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Audioslavia » Mon May 08, 2017 11:11 am

The thing about 'not baking cakes for gays' that confuses me is this:

What kind of self-respecting gay couple would get their wedding cake - their wedding cake, the most flamboyant of all cakes - from some boomer mom and pop cake shop?
=♉︎=IF YOUR SIGNATURE IS LARGER THAN THIS, WHY? THE SHORTER THE SIG, THE GREATER THE LENGTHS PEOPLE GO TO READ IT◤♕◢

User avatar
Neo Balka
Minister
 
Posts: 3124
Founded: Feb 07, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Neo Balka » Mon May 08, 2017 11:12 am

Audioslavia wrote:The thing about 'not baking cakes for gays' that confuses me is this:

What kind of self-respecting gay couple would get their wedding cake - their wedding cake, the most flamboyant of all cakes - from some boomer mom and pop cake shop?


i dont know, seems to make for good headlines.
The mere fact that i pissed someone off either means i stood for something or i said something offensive.
in this day and age it's both.
#garbagehumanbeing

User avatar
United Muscovite Nations
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 25657
Founded: Feb 01, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby United Muscovite Nations » Mon May 08, 2017 11:12 am

The Holy Empire of the Spaghetti Monster wrote:
United Muscovite Nations wrote:There's more to Christianity than the Bible. While I don't agree with things like baking a cake, I could definitely see why a devout Christian wouldn't want to service a gay wedding, especially if they are involved in a specific Church (e.g. my Church doesn't allow clergy to attend gay weddings).

How is anything that's not the Bible valid? I'll answer that, it's not. It's just said to be valid by humans, which hardly makes it so, even assuming God is real in the first place.

I think you don't understand how Christian theology works very well. Christian belief, at least in Orthodoxy and Catholicism, the two oldest forms of Christian belief, is based on Holy Tradition passed down from the time of the Apostles. The Bible is one part of this tradition.
Grumpy Grandpa of the LWDT and RWDT
Kantian with panentheist and Christian beliefs. Rawlsian Socialist. Just completed studies in History and International Relations. Asexual with sex-revulsion.
The world is grey, the mountains old, the forges fire is ashen cold. No harp is wrung, no hammer falls, the darkness dwells in Durin's halls...
Formerly United Marxist Nations, Dec 02, 2011- Feb 01, 2017. +33,837 posts
Borderline Personality Disorder, currently in treatment. I apologize if I blow up at you. TG me for info, can't discuss publicly because the mods support stigma on mental illness.

User avatar
Anarcha Feminist Gynarchy
Envoy
 
Posts: 346
Founded: Dec 17, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Anarcha Feminist Gynarchy » Mon May 08, 2017 11:13 am

Vassenor wrote:I still don't see where the Bible says that Christians are required to discriminate against homosexuals.

Well the Bible says to kill the gays, to discriminate against them.
“Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. And such were some of you. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.” 1 Corinthians 6:9-11

“If a man lies with a male as with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination; they shall surely be put to death; their blood is upon them.” Leviticus 20:13

These are two quotes, but Christianity is not like this any more
A 12.6 civilization, according to this index.


User avatar
Thermodolia
Post Kaiser
 
Posts: 79496
Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Anarchy

Postby Thermodolia » Mon May 08, 2017 11:14 am

Audioslavia wrote:The thing about 'not baking cakes for gays' that confuses me is this:

What kind of self-respecting gay couple would get their wedding cake - their wedding cake, the most flamboyant of all cakes - from some boomer mom and pop cake shop?

In the two instances where it happened the couple had been previously customers of the store, they liked the place so they wanted the cake from them.
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

User avatar
Uxupox
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 13447
Founded: Nov 13, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Uxupox » Mon May 08, 2017 11:15 am

i think you might need a source op .
Economic Left/Right: 0.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.00

User avatar
Thermodolia
Post Kaiser
 
Posts: 79496
Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Anarchy

Postby Thermodolia » Mon May 08, 2017 11:16 am

Uxupox wrote:i think you might need a source op .

Didn't this whole thing turn out to be just a photo op?
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

User avatar
United Muscovite Nations
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 25657
Founded: Feb 01, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby United Muscovite Nations » Mon May 08, 2017 11:17 am

Thermodolia wrote:
Uxupox wrote:i think you might need a source op .

Didn't this whole thing turn out to be just a photo op?

Yes, the specific law in question has been extremely loosely enforced for decades, and that includes under the Obama administration.
Grumpy Grandpa of the LWDT and RWDT
Kantian with panentheist and Christian beliefs. Rawlsian Socialist. Just completed studies in History and International Relations. Asexual with sex-revulsion.
The world is grey, the mountains old, the forges fire is ashen cold. No harp is wrung, no hammer falls, the darkness dwells in Durin's halls...
Formerly United Marxist Nations, Dec 02, 2011- Feb 01, 2017. +33,837 posts
Borderline Personality Disorder, currently in treatment. I apologize if I blow up at you. TG me for info, can't discuss publicly because the mods support stigma on mental illness.

User avatar
Thermodolia
Post Kaiser
 
Posts: 79496
Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Anarchy

Postby Thermodolia » Mon May 08, 2017 11:18 am

Thermodolia wrote:
Uxupox wrote:i think you might need a source op .

Didn't this whole thing turn out to be just a photo op?

Yup I was right. The federal register shows that the last Trump EO was back in April. https://www.federalregister.gov/executi ... trump/2017
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

User avatar
Uxupox
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 13447
Founded: Nov 13, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Uxupox » Mon May 08, 2017 11:18 am

Thermodolia wrote:
Uxupox wrote:i think you might need a source op .

Didn't this whole thing turn out to be just a photo op?


At least in a photo op you can see some style. This doesn't have nothing. its ugly
Economic Left/Right: 0.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.00

User avatar
Neu Leonstein
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5771
Founded: Oct 23, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Neu Leonstein » Mon May 08, 2017 11:21 am

“Every age and generation must be as free to act for itself in all cases as the age and generations which preceded it. The vanity and presumption of governing beyond the grave is the most ridiculous and insolent of all tyrannies. Man has no property in man; neither has any generation a property in the generations which are to follow.”
~ Thomas Paine

Economic Left/Right: 2.25 | Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.33
Time zone: GMT+10 (Melbourne), working full time.

User avatar
Thermodolia
Post Kaiser
 
Posts: 79496
Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Anarchy

Postby Thermodolia » Mon May 08, 2017 11:23 am

Neu Leonstein wrote:Forget the cake.

I hate Mississippi
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

User avatar
Neo Balka
Minister
 
Posts: 3124
Founded: Feb 07, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Neo Balka » Mon May 08, 2017 11:23 am

Neu Leonstein wrote:Forget the cake.


>legal in most states.

Bwab a bab a bawb, trump is clearly at fault.
The mere fact that i pissed someone off either means i stood for something or i said something offensive.
in this day and age it's both.
#garbagehumanbeing

User avatar
Neu Leonstein
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5771
Founded: Oct 23, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Neu Leonstein » Mon May 08, 2017 11:27 am

Neo Balka wrote:>legal in most states.

Bwab a bab a bawb, trump is clearly at fault.

As far as I'm concerned, the idiots with the funeral home are at fault. But whatever you say.
“Every age and generation must be as free to act for itself in all cases as the age and generations which preceded it. The vanity and presumption of governing beyond the grave is the most ridiculous and insolent of all tyrannies. Man has no property in man; neither has any generation a property in the generations which are to follow.”
~ Thomas Paine

Economic Left/Right: 2.25 | Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.33
Time zone: GMT+10 (Melbourne), working full time.

User avatar
Gauthier
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 52887
Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Mon May 08, 2017 11:28 am

The best way to get the Republicans to turn on this, is of course, to have Muslims openly citing this as justification to refuse service to scantily clad women or somesuch.
Crimes committed by Muslims will be a pan-Islamic plot and proof of Islam's inherent evil. On the other hand crimes committed by non-Muslims will merely be the acts of loners who do not represent their belief system at all.
The probability of one's participation in homosexual acts is directly proportional to one's public disdain and disgust for homosexuals.
If a political figure makes an accusation of wrongdoing without evidence, odds are probable that the accuser or an associate thereof has in fact committed the very same act, possibly to a worse degree.
Where is your God-Emperor now?

User avatar
Gauthier
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 52887
Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Mon May 08, 2017 11:29 am

[DP]
Last edited by Gauthier on Mon May 08, 2017 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Crimes committed by Muslims will be a pan-Islamic plot and proof of Islam's inherent evil. On the other hand crimes committed by non-Muslims will merely be the acts of loners who do not represent their belief system at all.
The probability of one's participation in homosexual acts is directly proportional to one's public disdain and disgust for homosexuals.
If a political figure makes an accusation of wrongdoing without evidence, odds are probable that the accuser or an associate thereof has in fact committed the very same act, possibly to a worse degree.
Where is your God-Emperor now?

User avatar
United Muscovite Nations
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 25657
Founded: Feb 01, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby United Muscovite Nations » Mon May 08, 2017 11:29 am

Gauthier wrote:The best way to get the Republicans to turn on this, is of course, to have Muslims openly citing this as justification to refuse service to scantily clad women or somesuch.

Tbh, I would support Muslims doing that.
Grumpy Grandpa of the LWDT and RWDT
Kantian with panentheist and Christian beliefs. Rawlsian Socialist. Just completed studies in History and International Relations. Asexual with sex-revulsion.
The world is grey, the mountains old, the forges fire is ashen cold. No harp is wrung, no hammer falls, the darkness dwells in Durin's halls...
Formerly United Marxist Nations, Dec 02, 2011- Feb 01, 2017. +33,837 posts
Borderline Personality Disorder, currently in treatment. I apologize if I blow up at you. TG me for info, can't discuss publicly because the mods support stigma on mental illness.

User avatar
Thermodolia
Post Kaiser
 
Posts: 79496
Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Anarchy

Postby Thermodolia » Mon May 08, 2017 11:29 am

Neu Leonstein wrote:
Neo Balka wrote:>legal in most states.

Bwab a bab a bawb, trump is clearly at fault.

As far as I'm concerned, the idiots with the funeral home are at fault. But whatever you say.

It's just Mississippi being Mississippi. The last state to ever join the rest of civilization.

If one thinks that the republicans and the south are stuck in the 1950's then Mississippi is stuck in the 1850's
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Australian rePublic, Bovad, Google [Bot], Gran Patria de las Antillas, Majalangka, Marenmia-Ocasia, Nu Elysium, Pale Dawn, Port Carverton, Ruszian, Serboslavonia, Slembana

Advertisement

Remove ads