NATION

PASSWORD

Trump MAGAthread VI

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Proctopeo
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 26, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Proctopeo » Sun May 28, 2017 9:37 am

Maichuko wrote:The Chancellor of Germany said that America is no longer a reliable ally. I can't blame that logic. He'll suck up to the Saudi's, but be a prick our European allies.

Haven't we always sucked up to the Saudis?
Arachno-anarchism || NO GODS NO MASTERS || Free NSG Odreria

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Sun May 28, 2017 9:38 am

Proctopeo wrote:
Maichuko wrote:The Chancellor of Germany said that America is no longer a reliable ally. I can't blame that logic. He'll suck up to the Saudi's, but be a prick our European allies.

Haven't we always sucked up to the Saudis?

Yeah, but we weren't always pricks to our real allies.
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

Proctopeo
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Proctopeo » Sun May 28, 2017 9:38 am

Conserative Morality wrote:
Proctopeo wrote:Haven't we always sucked up to the Saudis?

Yeah, but we weren't always pricks to our real allies.

Fair enough.
I've been out of the loop, though, so what has Trump specifically done?

Uxupox
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 13, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Uxupox » Sun May 28, 2017 9:44 am

Reliable as what? Does she mean reliable as Germany's not existent military?
Economic Left/Right: 0.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.00

Proctopeo
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Proctopeo » Sun May 28, 2017 9:45 am

Uxupox wrote:

Hey, it's not completely non-existent. They have three Jeeps and ten soldiers.

Valrifell
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Sun May 28, 2017 9:48 am

Uxupox wrote:

I'd take a non-existent military over the bloated mess that we have. At least Europeans apparently have better priorities than "Throw all the money at Defense!"
HAVING AN ALL CAPS SIG MAKES ME FEEL SMART

Uxupox
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Uxupox » Sun May 28, 2017 9:51 am

Valrifell wrote:
Uxupox wrote:

I'd take a non-existent military over the bloated mess that we have. At least Europeans apparently have better priorities than "Throw all the money at Defense!"

Department of the Navy says it can't meet it's naval obligations and over 2/3rds of their air mavalbpower is currently groumded. But aure its "bloated".

Valrifell
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Sun May 28, 2017 9:53 am

Uxupox wrote:
Valrifell wrote:

Department of the Navy says it can't meet it's naval obligations and over 2/3rds of their air mavalbpower is currently groumded. But aure its "bloated".

Apparently we're throwing the most money (with sheer numbers and percentage of GDP) at a military that still is apparently incompetent?

There's a fatal flaw somewhere in that system, and throwing more money at it isn't going to help.
HAVING AN ALL CAPS SIG MAKES ME FEEL SMART

The East Marches II
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 11, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby The East Marches II » Sun May 28, 2017 9:54 am

Valrifell wrote:
Uxupox wrote:

Better priorities like being blackmailed by the Turks because of their own weakness. It's really impressive just how much spine they are lacking.

The East Marches II
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The East Marches II » Sun May 28, 2017 9:54 am

Valrifell wrote:
Uxupox wrote:

Apparently we're throwing the most money (with sheer numbers and percentage of GDP) at a military that still is apparently incompetent?

There's a fatal flaw somewhere in that system, and throwing more money at it isn't going to help.

The flaw is too many strategic obligations and a misguided desire to save the world.

Uxupox
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Uxupox » Sun May 28, 2017 9:56 am

Valrifell wrote:
Uxupox wrote:

The previous naval commander warned Obama but he ignored if the situation then Trump has the damn same fault as him.

Uxupox
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Uxupox » Sun May 28, 2017 9:57 am

The East Marches II wrote:
Valrifell wrote:

The flaw is too many strategic obligations and a misguided desire to save the world.

Pretty much.

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Sun May 28, 2017 9:57 am

The East Marches II wrote:The flaw is too many strategic obligations and a misguided desire to save the world.

Or the flaw is a bloated military budget focused more on pork than making the most of what we have and acquiring what we need.
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.

The East Marches II
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The East Marches II » Sun May 28, 2017 9:59 am

The East Marches II wrote:The flaw is too many strategic obligations and a misguided desire to save the world.

Or the flaw is a bloated military budget focused more on pork than making the most of what we have and acquiring what we need.

The budget isn't bloated, if it were pure pork it would be different. I can't take Uncle Sam for a ride selling old F-16 parts like I could (people still do) in Europe. We have to rely on heavily on equipment and technology because the US population hates losses of both enemy civilians and our own troops. That is an extremely expensive way of fighting.

Uxupox
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Uxupox » Sun May 28, 2017 10:05 am

Conserative Morality wrote:Or the flaw is a bloated military budget focused more on pork than making the most of what we have and acquiring what we need.

The budget isn't bloated, if it were pure pork it would be different. I can't take Uncle Sam for a ride selling old F-16 parts like I could (people still do) in Europe. We have to rely on heavily on equipment and technology because the US population hates losses of both enemy civilians and our own troops. That is an extremely expensive way of fighting.[/quote

In both Afghanistan and Iraq the military has to repay for buildings that are destroyed in the ensued combat.

Uxupox
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Uxupox » Sun May 28, 2017 10:06 am

Conserative Morality wrote:Or the flaw is a bloated military budget focused more on pork than making the most of what we have and acquiring what we need.

The budget isn't bloated, if it were pure pork it would be different. I can't take Uncle Sam for a ride selling old F-16 parts like I could (people still do) in Europe. We have to rely on heavily on equipment and technology because the US population hates losses of both enemy civilians and our own troops. That is an extremely expensive way of fighting.[/quote

In both Afghanistan and Iraq the military has to repay for buildings that are destroyed in the ensued combat.

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Sun May 28, 2017 10:09 am

The East Marches II wrote:The budget isn't bloated, if it were pure pork it would be different. I can't take Uncle Sam for a ride selling old F-16 parts like I could (people still do) in Europe. We have to rely on heavily on equipment and technology because the US population hates losses of both enemy civilians and our own troops. That is an extremely expensive way of fighting.

We also rely heavily on investing on projects the US military neither needs nor wants because 'muh lobbyists consistuents'.

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Sun May 28, 2017 10:10 am

Uxupox wrote:

The budget isn't bloated, if it were pure pork it would be different. I can't take Uncle Sam for a ride selling old F-16 parts like I could (people still do) in Europe. We have to rely on heavily on equipment and technology because the US population hates losses of both enemy civilians and our own troops. That is an extremely expensive way of fighting.

In both Afghanistan and Iraq the military has to repay for buildings that are destroyed in the ensued combat.[/quote]
Well that's a bit dumb. Though I guess that's what we get for trying to nation build.
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

The East Marches II
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The East Marches II » Sun May 28, 2017 10:13 am

The East Marches II wrote:The budget isn't bloated, if it were pure pork it would be different. I can't take Uncle Sam for a ride selling old F-16 parts like I could (people still do) in Europe. We have to rely on heavily on equipment and technology because the US population hates losses of both enemy civilians and our own troops. That is an extremely expensive way of fighting.

We also rely heavily on investing on projects the US military neither needs nor wants because 'muh lobbyists consistuents'.

That is about keeping production lines open so we don't turn into Europe. The military's kit and strategic objectives (deeming who is the bad guy to fight) are set by Congress for a reason. It's why we still make skrublys, refit Abrams and build new airframes. If you lose that capacity you will merely repeat the mistakes of the aftermath of the First World War. Thankfully despite all of our post-history mistakes, shutting down the big heavy equipment factories was not one of them.
Last edited by The East Marches II on Sun May 28, 2017 10:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

Camicon
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Camicon » Sun May 28, 2017 10:13 am

Uxupox wrote:
Camicon wrote:Oh, bullshit. It may not be official US policy (though, with Trump in charge, it may become unofficial policy), but American military forces have been specifically killing civilians in the Middle East with impunity for a while now. And for the few that are discovered and prosecuted, like the platoon in the Rolling Stone article, how many do you figure fly under the radar?

Corrian's comments are less outlandish than you're portraying them, even if you ignore the bombing campaign, which I don't think you should. Dropping a bomb to kill a handful of legitimate targets, knowing that you're also going to catch many more innocents in the blast, doesn't justify the bombing. And while the intent might not be to advance political objectives through terror, to an extent that is actually happening.

That's story is full of shit.

Because shaking your head and screaming "NUH-UH!" is the best thing to do when presented with evidence that contradicts your worldview. :roll:
Hey/They
Active since May, 2009
Country of glowing hearts, and patrons of the arts
Help me out
Star spangled madness, united sadness
Count me out
The Trews, Under The Sun
No human is more human than any other. - Lieutenant-General Roméo Antonius Dallaire
Don't shine for swine. - Metric, Soft Rock Star
Love is hell. Hell is love. Hell is asking to be loved. - Emily Haines and the Soft Skeleton, Detective Daughter

Why (Male) Rape Is Hilarious [because it has to be]

The East Marches II
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The East Marches II » Sun May 28, 2017 10:14 am

Uxupox wrote:

In both Afghanistan and Iraq the military has to repay for buildings that are destroyed in the ensued combat.[/quote]

Among other things we do for them to "win" them over.

Uxupox
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Uxupox » Sun May 28, 2017 10:17 am

Camicon wrote:
Uxupox wrote:
That's story is full of shit.

Because shaking your head and screaming "NUH-UH!" is the best thing to do when presented with evidence that contradicts your worldview. :roll:

Where is the evidence? Story doesn't even provide it.

Uxupox
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Uxupox » Sun May 28, 2017 10:22 am

Uxupox wrote:

Among other things we do for them to "win" them over.[/quote]

This is the mindset we need

Camicon
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Camicon » Sun May 28, 2017 10:32 am

Uxupox wrote:
Camicon wrote:Because shaking your head and screaming "NUH-UH!" is the best thing to do when presented with evidence that contradicts your worldview. :roll:

Where is the evidence? Story doesn't even provide it.

A Rolling Stone expose doesn't need to hyperlink to other webpages like we do here. They cite, at various points: official Army reports, investigative files, interviews with the subjects, and public statements made by the Army. There are dates and names (and pictures) aplenty, and all that information is readily available to anyone who would like to fact-check them. This story wouldn't stand up to six years of scrutiny if it was fabricated.
Last edited by Camicon on Sun May 28, 2017 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hey/They
Active since May, 2009
Country of glowing hearts, and patrons of the arts
Help me out
Star spangled madness, united sadness
Count me out
The Trews, Under The Sun
No human is more human than any other. - Lieutenant-General Roméo Antonius Dallaire
Don't shine for swine. - Metric, Soft Rock Star
Love is hell. Hell is love. Hell is asking to be loved. - Emily Haines and the Soft Skeleton, Detective Daughter

Why (Male) Rape Is Hilarious [because it has to be]

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Sun May 28, 2017 10:33 am

Camicon wrote:A Rolling Stone expose doesn't need to hyperlink to other webpages like we do here. They cite, at various points: official Army reports, investigative files, interviews with the subjects, and public statements made by the Army. There are dates and names (and pictures) aplenty, and all that information is readily available to anyone who would like to fact-check them. This story wouldn't stand up to six years of scrutiny if it was fabricated.

But muh Army Strong

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General