NATION

PASSWORD

Trump MAGAthread VI

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

The East Marches II
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 11, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby The East Marches II » Wed May 24, 2017 5:39 pm

Astrolinium wrote:
Minzerland II wrote:I see no wrong in having fun at a memorial, honestly. I've had fun on ANZAC day myself, for instance.

You've clearly never been to Yad Vashem.

It's not a place for having fun. The group I was with were all openly sobbing by the time we made it out. If you can "have fun" at Yad Vashem... the museum is probably warning people about people like you.

Oh yes, moral condemnation for not feeling to same as others. One can have a good day with the family at places like that. Its not an either or sort of thing. Thats just being overly sensitive. While Trump's note was garbage and bad PR, you make a bigger deal than should be made out of it.

Minzerland II
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 27, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Minzerland II » Wed May 24, 2017 5:39 pm

Astrolinium wrote:
Minzerland II wrote:I see no wrong in having fun at a memorial, honestly. I've had fun on ANZAC day myself, for instance.

It's not a place for having fun. The group I was with were all openly sobbing by the time we made it out. If you can "have fun" at Yad Vashem... the museum is probably warning people about people like you.

No. I couldn't afford that.

'Learning is fun!', as they say. You should strive to have fun, even at Yad Vashem.
Last edited by Minzerland II on Wed May 24, 2017 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Previous Profile: Minzerland
Donkey Advocate & Herald of Donkeydom
St Anselm of Canterbury wrote:[…]who ever heard of anything having two mothers or two fathers? (Monologion, pg. 63)

AiliailiA
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jul 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby AiliailiA » Wed May 24, 2017 5:40 pm

Calladan wrote:
AiliAiliA wrote:
I actually agree with you this time. (Don't expect that to happen again!)

There are words which shouldn't be used to describe terrorists, like "martyr" or "historical" or (obviously) "hero" etc. But using a range of different insulting words is good, there doesn't need to be consistency among the world leaders on that.

"Loser" is an excellent choice actually. The demographic which suicide bombers almost all come from is young men, and they've heard already that a terrorist act is an "outrage", that it is "evil" and all those other pompous terms of disrespect. If being called "a loser" gets through to just one of them and tips them from planning a terrorist attack, to doing something else, then that's great and whether people think it's dignified of the President to use such a word does not matter at all.

He could have done better: instead of "evil loser" he could have said "fucking loser". OK, maybe not the f word, how about "dead loser" ...

So you are saying the only choice is between "loser" and "hero"? Good god you have a limited vocabulary.

1 strawman and 1 personal insult ... what a pathetic rebuttal.
My name is voiced AIL-EE-AIL-EE-AH. My time zone: UTC.

Cannot think of a name wrote:"Where's my immortality?" will be the new "Where's my jetpack?"
Maineiacs wrote:"We're going to build a canal, and we're going to make Columbia pay for it!" -- Teddy Roosevelt
Ifreann wrote:That's not a Freudian slip. A Freudian slip is when you say one thing and mean your mother.
Ethel mermania wrote:
Ifreann wrote:
DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:
: eugenics :
What are the colons meant to convey here?
In my experience Colons usually convey shit

NSG junkie. Getting good shit for free, why would I give it up?

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Wed May 24, 2017 5:40 pm

There are two problems with this:

1. Yad Veshem being a very particular kind of memorial, and having fun at it being like saying you 'had a blast' watching Hiroshima radiation victims slowly die on film. While as a darkly humorous statement it might be fine, if you actually had fun watching it, there's probably something wrong with you.

2. High-profile visits to serious memorials are generally not appropriate for 'having fun'. A public official doesn't go to pay respects to the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier and then talk about how 'fun' it was.
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

Astrolinium
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 05, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Astrolinium » Wed May 24, 2017 5:41 pm

The East Marches II wrote:
Astrolinium wrote:

Oh yes, moral condemnation for not feeling to same as others. One can have a good day with the family at places like that. Its not an either or sort of thing. Thats just being overly sensitive. While Trump's note was garbage and bad PR, you make a bigger deal than should be made out of it.

Nah, man. People don't "have fun" standing on a pile of the burnt shoes of dead children, or watching video footage of men being shot into mass graves. That's not how that works.
The Sublime Island Kingdom of Astrolinium
Ilia Franchisco Attore, King Attorio Maldive III
North Carolina | NSIndex Page | Embassies
Pop: 3,082 | Tech: MT | DEFCON: 5-4-3-2-1
SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY...
About Me: Ravenclaw, Gay, Cis Male, 5’4”.
"Don't you forget about me."

Ex-Delegate of Ankh Mauta | NSG Sodomy Club
Minor Acolyte of the Vast Jewlluminati Conspiracy™

The East Marches II
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The East Marches II » Wed May 24, 2017 5:42 pm

Astrolinium wrote:

Nah, man. People don't "have fun" standing on a pile of the burnt shoes of dead children, or watching video footage of men being shot into mass graves. That's not how that works.

You don't enjoy time with your family in a historical environment? You can be respectful and still have a good time. More moralizing over nothing.

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Wed May 24, 2017 5:46 pm

The East Marches II wrote:You don't enjoy time with your family

no
in a historical environment? You can be respectful and still have a good time. More moralizing over nothing.

Memorials are meant for reflection, not 'fun'. As many times as I've been to the Smithsonian, I've had a hell of a lot of fun. I've never had fun at the Holocaust Museum. It's fascinating, but even being the kind of person who makes Holocaust jokes under ordinary circumstances, there are places and times when 'fun' is not what you should be having.
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.

Astrolinium
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Astrolinium » Wed May 24, 2017 5:46 pm

Minzerland II wrote:
Astrolinium wrote:

No. I couldn't afford that.

'Learning is fun!', as they say. You should strive to have fun, even at Yad Vashem.

Astrolinium wrote:

You don't enjoy time with your family in a historical environment? You can be respectful and still have a good time. More moralizing over nothing.

See, Yad Vashem is a place that tries to really make you feel the burden of the Holocaust. They literally put you in gloom and shadow and wind you through a slow, roundabout maze towards the light at the end of a tunnel. I can't possibly describe the experience properly, but the group I went with was absolutely shellshocked for the rest of the day. There's a particular moment where you stand in a room with a glass floor, and under the floor is just a pile of burnt shoes and other little things recovered from the ovens at the camps. The whole point of the museum is to really make you feel with great force the impact of all the lives that the Shoah snuffed out, not as a statistic, but as a collection of individuals -- each one a little world of its own. Yad Vashem's not an ordinary museum. You don't have fun there. Period.
SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY...

AiliailiA
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby AiliailiA » Wed May 24, 2017 5:47 pm

Video footage from Nazi Germany? I don't think so. Video copy of Nazi film perhaps.

EDIT: I've never been to that memorial museum. I've been to the Hiroshima one which is only small, but that was bad enough. The more I hear about how it's guaranteed to make me sad and probably make me really angry too, the less I'm inclined to go.
Last edited by AiliailiA on Wed May 24, 2017 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cannot think of a name wrote:"Where's my immortality?" will be the new "Where's my jetpack?"
Maineiacs wrote:"We're going to build a canal, and we're going to make Columbia pay for it!" -- Teddy Roosevelt
Ifreann wrote:That's not a Freudian slip. A Freudian slip is when you say one thing and mean your mother.
Ethel mermania wrote:
Ifreann wrote:
DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:

Calladan
Minister

Founded: Jul 28, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Calladan » Wed May 24, 2017 5:48 pm

AiliAiliA wrote:
Calladan wrote:
So you are saying the only choice is between "loser" and "hero"? Good god you have a limited vocabulary.

1 deflected argument and 1 personal insult. We could do this all night, but I assume we both have better things to do.
Tara A McGill, Ambassador to Lucinda G Doyle III
"Always be yourself, unless you can be Zathras. Then be Zathras"
A Rough Guide To Calladan | The Seven Years of Darkness | Ambassador McGill's Facebook Page
"Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, providing they are Christian & white" - Trump

The East Marches II
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The East Marches II » Wed May 24, 2017 5:49 pm

Conserative Morality wrote:no

Thats a shame tbh

Conserative Morality wrote:Memorials are meant for reflection, not 'fun'. As many times as I've been to the Smithsonian, I've had a hell of a lot of fun. I've never had fun at the Holocaust Museum. It's fascinating, but even being the kind of person who makes Holocaust jokes under ordinary circumstances, there are places and times when 'fun' is not what you should be having.

That sounds like a personal problem to me. Acting respect is a separate matter from the fun or enjoyment of the day. I find historical sites like that very interesting and I had a good time regardless of what all the moral posturing of the moralizers seem to think the appropriate reason to such a place should be. I'm surprised you aren't siding with UMN in that other thread.

Astrolinium wrote:See, Yad Vashem is a place that tries to really make you feel the burden of the Holocaust. They literally put you in gloom and shadow and wind you through a slow, roundabout maze towards the light at the end of a tunnel. I can't possibly describe the experience properly, but the group I went with was absolutely shellshocked for the rest of the day. There's a particular moment where you stand in a room with a glass floor, and under the floor is just a pile of burnt shoes and other little things recovered from the ovens at the camps. The whole point of the museum is to really make you feel with great force the impact of all the lives that the Shoah snuffed out, not as a statistic, but as a collection of individuals -- each one a little world of its own. Yad Vashem's not an ordinary museum. You don't have fun there. Period.

So are plenty of other museums and monuments to tragedy. There are plenty of others like it, I've been to many. For all your talk of tolerance of others, you sure don't like it when your particular set of moral issues aren't treated as you want.
Last edited by The East Marches II on Wed May 24, 2017 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Wed May 24, 2017 5:51 pm

Inside Source: Paul Ryan ready to betray Donald Trump when politically convenient.

WASHINGTON —House Speaker Paul Ryan has set a Google News alert to notify him of the instant that Donald Trump becomes unpopular enough to turn against, Ryan revealed on Thursday.

The news alert, which Ryan said was set to the phrase “Trump approval rating falls below fifty per cent among Republican voters,” will inform the House Speaker of the precise moment “that I can bail on President Trump at no political cost to me,” Ryan explained.

“There’s this sense out there in the media that Washington is consumed by drama and nothing is getting done,” Ryan told reporters. “I think it’s important for people to know that important things are, in fact, getting done, and setting this Google News alert is one of those things.”

Asked by a reporter when he anticipated turning on Trump, Ryan dismissed that as a hypothetical question, adding, “There is no timetable for my inevitable betrayal of him. Once I receive that Google News alert, it will most likely happen a split second after that.”

Ryan ended his press conference by reassuring the American people that he is hard at work for them. “I am checking my phone every ten—and sometimes every five—minutes,” he said.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

AiliailiA
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby AiliailiA » Wed May 24, 2017 5:52 pm

Calladan wrote:
AiliAiliA wrote:

1 deflected argument and 1 personal insult. We could do this all night, but I assume we both have better things to do.

No, you started it. I'd like you to apologize before we drop it.

Ethel mermania wrote:
Ifreann wrote:
DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:

Minzerland II
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 27, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Minzerland II » Wed May 24, 2017 5:52 pm

Conserative Morality wrote:

There are two problems with this:

1. Yad Veshem being a very particular kind of memorial, and having fun at it being like saying you 'had a blast' watching Hiroshima radiation victims slowly die on film. While as a darkly humorous statement it might be fine, if you actually had fun watching it, there's probably something wrong with you.

2. High-profile visits to serious memorials are generally not appropriate for 'having fun'. A public official doesn't go to pay respects to the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier and then talk about how 'fun' it was.

There is nothing fun about all those horrible atrocities, but there is always fun to have in making fun of it, making light of it.

'Respect' and 'fun' are not mutually exclusive. I can be respectful and still enjoy myself whilst doing so, which is often the case whenever I marched for the army cadets on ANZAC Day, or when I attended the Dawn Service, or when I visited the RSL.
Last edited by Minzerland II on Wed May 24, 2017 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Previous Profile: Minzerland
Donkey Advocate & Herald of Donkeydom
St Anselm of Canterbury wrote:[…]who ever heard of anything having two mothers or two fathers? (Monologion, pg. 63)

The East Marches II
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The East Marches II » Wed May 24, 2017 5:52 pm

Galloism wrote:Inside Source: Paul Ryan ready to betray Donald Trump when politically convenient.

WASHINGTON —House Speaker Paul Ryan has set a Google News alert to notify him of the instant that Donald Trump becomes unpopular enough to turn against, Ryan revealed on Thursday.

The news alert, which Ryan said was set to the phrase “Trump approval rating falls below fifty per cent among Republican voters,” will inform the House Speaker of the precise moment “that I can bail on President Trump at no political cost to me,” Ryan explained.

“There’s this sense out there in the media that Washington is consumed by drama and nothing is getting done,” Ryan told reporters. “I think it’s important for people to know that important things are, in fact, getting done, and setting this Google News alert is one of those things.”

Asked by a reporter when he anticipated turning on Trump, Ryan dismissed that as a hypothetical question, adding, “There is no timetable for my inevitable betrayal of him. Once I receive that Google News alert, it will most likely happen a split second after that.”

Ryan ended his press conference by reassuring the American people that he is hard at work for them. “I am checking my phone every ten—and sometimes every five—minutes,” he said.

I got hyped for a minute. God damn it Gallo.

Astrolinium
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Astrolinium » Wed May 24, 2017 5:53 pm

Conserative Morality wrote:no

Thats a shame tbh

Conserative Morality wrote:Memorials are meant for reflection, not 'fun'. As many times as I've been to the Smithsonian, I've had a hell of a lot of fun. I've never had fun at the Holocaust Museum. It's fascinating, but even being the kind of person who makes Holocaust jokes under ordinary circumstances, there are places and times when 'fun' is not what you should be having.

That sounds like a personal problem to me. Acting respect is a separate matter from the fun or enjoyment of the day. I find historical sites like that very interesting and I had a good time regardless of what all the moral posturing of the moralizers seem to think the appropriate reason to such a place should be. I'm surprised you aren't siding with UMN in that other thread.

I'm not "posturing". I, someone who has been to Yad Vashem, am telling you, someone who has not, the reality of what it is and how it affects its visitors. I'm not arguing with you, I am informing you.

AiliAiliA wrote:Video footage from Nazi Germany? I don't think so. Video copy of Nazi film perhaps.

Much of it was probably filmed by the Nazis, yes -- such as the footage of Nazis laughing and having a good time as they massacred people.
SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY...

Camicon
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Camicon » Wed May 24, 2017 5:54 pm

Galloism wrote:Inside Source: Paul Ryan ready to betray Donald Trump when politically convenient.

Thing is, there's no doubt in my mind that the main thrust of that article is entirely true.
Hey/They
Active since May, 2009
Country of glowing hearts, and patrons of the arts
Help me out
Star spangled madness, united sadness
Count me out
The Trews, Under The Sun
No human is more human than any other. - Lieutenant-General Roméo Antonius Dallaire
Don't shine for swine. - Metric, Soft Rock Star
Love is hell. Hell is love. Hell is asking to be loved. - Emily Haines and the Soft Skeleton, Detective Daughter

Why (Male) Rape Is Hilarious [because it has to be]

The East Marches II
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The East Marches II » Wed May 24, 2017 5:54 pm

Astrolinium wrote:
Thats a shame tbh

I'm not "posturing". I, someone who has been to Yad Vashem, am telling you, someone who has not, the reality of what it is and how it affects its visitors. I'm not arguing with you, I am informing you.

Yes, you are just posturing and moralizing. You are telling me your opinion of how you expect others to act. No different than a conservative really.

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Wed May 24, 2017 5:54 pm

The East Marches II wrote:That sounds like a personal problem to me. Acting respect is a separate matter from the fun or enjoyment of the day. I find historical sites like that very interesting and I had a good time regardless of what all the moral posturing of the moralizers seem to think the appropriate reason to such a place should be. I'm surprised you aren't siding with UMN in that other thread.

Each of the three times I went to the Holocaust Museum, all three times I came out pretty shellshocked. Even the time I went in with a close friend with similarly irreverent humor and energy. It's not about moral posturing. It's about what kind of presentation it is. It's like laughing when you watch footage of the corpses being buried after the liberation of Dachau. If you come out of that and say that you had fun, and a great time watching the film, you've both missed the point and likely pointed out something severely wrong with you. If it's on your 'fun times' playlist, there's probably something wrong with you.

Interest and fun are separate concepts.

AiliailiA
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby AiliailiA » Wed May 24, 2017 5:55 pm

Astrolinium wrote:
AiliAiliA wrote:Video footage from Nazi Germany? I don't think so. Video copy of Nazi film perhaps.

Much of it was probably filmed by the Nazis, yes -- such as the footage of Nazis laughing and having a good time as they massacred people.

I can easily imagine. I've seen such in documentaries.

Ethel mermania wrote:
Ifreann wrote:
DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:

Astrolinium
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Astrolinium » Wed May 24, 2017 5:56 pm

Astrolinium wrote:

Yes, you are just posturing and moralizing. You are telling me your opinion of how you expect others to act. No different than a conservative really.

Please stop trying to be smug and win internet points for your bravado for a few seconds and actually consider what I am saying, would you? I am not arguing with you. I am not trying to persuade you. I have experience in this matter, and you do not, and I am telling you what the reality is. Conserative Morality is telling you what the reality is. This isn't opinion versus opinion. This is fact backed up by experience versus uninformed assumptions on your part.
SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY...

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Wed May 24, 2017 5:58 pm

Minzerland II wrote:There is nothing fun about all those horrible atrocities, but there is fun to have in making fun of it, making light of it.

One does not make high-profile visits to memorials to make light of them, and "I had fun =)))))" is not making light of it anyway.
'Respect' and 'fun' are not mutually exclusive. I can be respectful and still enjoy myself whilst doing so, which is often the case whenever I marched for the army cadets on ANZAC Day, or attended the Dawn Service or visited th e RSL.

"I had fun participating in an event" /=/ "I had fun going through a monument to the most horrific aspects of what was memorialized"

Calladan
Minister

Founded: Jul 28, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Calladan » Wed May 24, 2017 5:59 pm

Conserative Morality wrote:
The East Marches II wrote:You don't enjoy time with your family

no
in a historical environment? You can be respectful and still have a good time. More moralizing over nothing.

Memorials are meant for reflection, not 'fun'. As many times as I've been to the Smithsonian, I've had a hell of a lot of fun. I've never had fun at the Holocaust Museum. It's fascinating, but even being the kind of person who makes Holocaust jokes under ordinary circumstances, there are places and times when 'fun' is not what you should be having.

I have never been to a Holocaust museum. The closest I have come to visiting a memorial is taking part in the Armistice Day ceremonies when I was a child. And even then - as a 9/10/11 year old kid - I would not have described that as having fun, or having a good time. Standing in front of a cenotaph, in silence, remembering the sacrifice of those who died during the two wars (keep in mind I was a kid in the 80s, so this was before the more recent wars) is not something I was ever describe as fun, or a good time. And these were men who voluntarily went to fight, not men, women and children who were slaughtered by the millions just because they were different.

Quite how anyone could describe that as fun? As a good time? Good gods above..... The mind boggles.
Tara A McGill, Ambassador to Lucinda G Doyle III
"Always be yourself, unless you can be Zathras. Then be Zathras"
A Rough Guide To Calladan | The Seven Years of Darkness | Ambassador McGill's Facebook Page
"Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, providing they are Christian & white" - Trump

AiliailiA
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby AiliailiA » Wed May 24, 2017 6:01 pm

What Trump wrote in the visitor's book is a trivial thing to be arguing about, but I will say that I'm more appalled by Trump's handwriting than I am by the content!

Ethel mermania wrote:
Ifreann wrote:
DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:

The East Marches II
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The East Marches II » Wed May 24, 2017 6:01 pm

Astrolinium wrote:

Please stop trying to be smug and win internet points for your bravado for a few seconds and actually consider what I am saying, would you? I am not arguing with you. I am not trying to persuade you. I have experience in this matter, and you do not, and I am telling you what the reality is. Conserative Morality is telling you what the reality is. This isn't opinion versus opinion. This is fact backed up by experience versus uninformed assumptions on your part.

I am not being smug. I am merely pointing out that you are moralizing while preaching that we should accept your "non-mainstream" view in the face of other moralizing. I've toured the death camps myself. I had a good time, why should somebody feel bad for it? Yes there was a tragedy there, yes you can be respectful but that does not preclude somebody from having the fun. I find historical situations like that fascinating and the details intriguing. This is you lecturing to somebody else on how they should behave to fit your moral code.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General