NATION

PASSWORD

Trump MAGAthread VI

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

Founded: Oct 01, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Wed May 17, 2017 5:48 pm

The East Marches II wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:Trump hasn't been in office for two years. Where have you been?

Campaigning included I believe they mean.

He hasn't torn down anything there either, well except the tax thing (maybe) and that was not a good thing to tear down. In fact it is a stupid thing for him to tear down since if he did have clear taxes it would show that he does not have conflicts of interest or ties to Russia.
Last edited by Neutraligon on Wed May 17, 2017 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you want to call me by a nickname, call me Gon...or NS Batman.
Mod stuff: One Stop Rules Shop | Reppy's Sig Workshop | Getting Help Request
Just A Little though

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Wed May 17, 2017 5:48 pm

Thermodolia wrote:Trump hasn't been in office for two years. Where have you been?

Ok then he still hasn't changed anything in DC
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Community Values
Minister

Founded: Nov 14, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Community Values » Wed May 17, 2017 5:49 pm

Has it really been that long?
"Corrupted by wealth and power, your government is like a restaurant with only one dish. They've got a set of Republican waiters on one side and a set of Democratic waiters on the other side. But no matter which set of waiters brings you the dish, the legislative grub is all prepared in the same Wall Street kitchen."
-Huey Long

The East Marches II
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 11, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby The East Marches II » Wed May 17, 2017 5:49 pm

Thermodolia wrote:

Ok then he still hasn't changed anything in DC

I would disagree with that very much. Say what you will about the man but he will have made his impact on the country for years to come.

The East Marches II
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The East Marches II » Wed May 17, 2017 5:49 pm

Neutraligon wrote:

He hasn't torn down anything there either.

He tore down that vaunted blue wall, the RNC's dominance etc. etc. etc.

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Wed May 17, 2017 5:49 pm

Thermodolia wrote:Ok then he still hasn't changed anything in DC

I would disagree with that very much. Say what you will about the man but he will have made his impact on the country for years to come.

Well nothing for the better
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

The East Marches II
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The East Marches II » Wed May 17, 2017 5:50 pm

Thermodolia wrote:

Well nothing for the better

Sure but you get the idea. I should have probably put a disclaimer on the end of that in retrospect.

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Wed May 17, 2017 5:50 pm

Neutraligon wrote:He hasn't torn down anything there either.

One election cycle. And polls are showing that the republicans won't be able to hold on to their power.
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Wed May 17, 2017 5:51 pm

Thermodolia wrote:Well nothing for the better

Sure but you get the idea. I should have probably put a disclaimer on the end of that in retrospect.

Unless you count rejuvenating the democrats as better
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Nakena
Post Marshal

Founded: May 06, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Nakena » Wed May 17, 2017 5:51 pm

Corrian wrote:
Nakena wrote:Let's face it: America's political system and the constitution work best along with small Government. Libertarianism is the way to go.

No thanks.

America's political system was never intended to carry such a big state machine as it does now.

Imagine it being an game engine who has once been developed to carry out certain tasks. A wonderful and well working system. That is, unless you keep adding things and mods. And more. You have to make workarounds, each time more outlandish hacks to keep it working. That is why it keeps failing at stuff like Health insurance and the likes.

At some point, when it is confronted with a crisis and uncooperative politicians like now, it starts failing.

That is were it stands right now.

Great Nepal
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Nepal » Wed May 17, 2017 5:52 pm

Ism wrote:
New haven america wrote:Because the US runs on an outdated and archaic system that insures that even if you don't win, you can still win.

The irony being that that very system was intended to prevent someone like Trump from being elected.

...i mean to be fair, the system as originally envisioned is not terrible. unique, sure but definitely interesting and workable - idea that voters should select group of experts who discuss among themselves to find a candidate is not unreasonable. it just failed to account for prominence of political parties. hell the system still isn't entirely unworkable - it merely requires state's electoral college votes be apportioned proportionally instead of via fptp; since majority wont want issue to go to the house they'll go for compromise candidate.
Last edited by Great Nepal on Sun Nov 29, 1995 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Founded: Mar 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Wed May 17, 2017 5:53 pm

Nakena wrote:
Soldati Senza Confini wrote:If you think Trump has changed anything in DC, I got a beachfront property in Nevada to sell you.

He can't. Which is his dilemma, because his supporters wanted a revolution. This has not happened. I cannot happen within the System. The Obama voters of 2008 wanted the same. But in a different way.

In my opinion people want change way too fast these days.

Change, for the first time, happened within the lifetime of a generation (Baby Boomers), that's good and all, but it will take us an equivalent amount of time, to anyone who tries to make any sort of changes in the government, to make the same amount of changes the boomer generation did to their government.

Most people in government burn out because of this "I want change NOW" mentality.
Soldati senza confini: Better than an iPod in shuffle more with 20,000 songs.
Tekania wrote:Welcome to NSG, where informed opinions get to bump-heads with ignorant ideology under the pretense of an equal footing.

"When it’s a choice of putting food on the table, or thinking about your morals, it’s easier to say you’d think about your morals, but only if you’ve never faced that decision." - Anastasia Richardson

Current Goal: Flesh out nation factbook.

Corrian
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 19, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Corrian » Wed May 17, 2017 5:55 pm

Nakena wrote:
Corrian wrote:No thanks.

America's political system was never intended to carry such a big state machine as it does now.

Imagine it being an game engine who has once been developed to carry out certain tasks. A wonderful and well working system. That is, unless you keep adding things and mods. And more. You have to make workarounds, each time more outlandish hacks to keep it working. That is why it keeps failing at stuff like Health insurance and the likes.

At some point, when it is confronted with a crisis and uncooperative politicians like now, it starts failing.

Not a Libertarian, so again, no thanks.
My Last.FM and RYM

Look on the bright side, one day you'll be dead~Street Sects

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Wed May 17, 2017 5:55 pm

Nakena wrote:

The wonderful thing about our system is that it has built in flexibility, unlike your game engine. Not only was it built to do certain tasks well, it was built to change so that other tasks can be taken on and also done well. I am not seeing it fail at health insurance. The entire system was built on having some sort of compromise when it came to those elected. Uncooperative politicians where always going to be a problem that is nothing new and has nothing to do with what load the state is carrying.
Last edited by Neutraligon on Wed May 17, 2017 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just A Little though

Corrian
Khan of Spam

New York Times Democracy

Postby Corrian » Wed May 17, 2017 5:56 pm

Also, I see Rick Allen of Georgia sucking up to Trump and worrying about the President and White House and "how hard it must be to work in this environment", not, you know, the actual severity of all of this.
My Last.FM and RYM

The East Marches II
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The East Marches II » Wed May 17, 2017 5:57 pm

Thermodolia wrote:

One election cycle. And polls are showing that the republicans won't be able to hold on to their power.

He won a race that he had no right to win. He showed that certain ideas that were once thought dead, voter groups thought irrelevant, still very much matter at the end of the day. Whether or not the Republicans are capable of learning that or the Democrats adapt to that, is another matter entirely and remains to yet be seen.

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 19, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Ashmoria » Wed May 17, 2017 5:58 pm

Major-Tom wrote:how the fuck did we what the

we elected this guy

why

its starting to seem like a bad idea, eh?
whatever

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Wed May 17, 2017 5:59 pm

Nakena wrote:

What kind of history have you read? Because this is not at all how America has been since its inception.
Tekania wrote:Welcome to NSG, where informed opinions get to bump-heads with ignorant ideology under the pretense of an equal footing.

"When it’s a choice of putting food on the table, or thinking about your morals, it’s easier to say you’d think about your morals, but only if you’ve never faced that decision." - Anastasia Richardson

Dylar
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 07, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Dylar » Wed May 17, 2017 6:00 pm

Nakena wrote:

You sure you ain't talking about Communism?
St. Albert the Great wrote:"Natural science does not consist in ratifying what others have said, but in seeking the causes of phenomena."
Franko Tildon wrote:Fire washes the skin off the bone and the sin off the soul. It cleans away the dirt. And my momma didn't raise herself no dirty boy.

Pro: Life, Catholic, religious freedom, guns
Against: gun control, abortion, militant atheism
Interests: Video Games, Military History, Catholic theology, Sci-Fi, and Table-Top Miniatures games
Favorite music genres: Metal, Drinking songs, Polka, Military Marches, Hardbass, and Movie/Video Game soundtracks

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Wed May 17, 2017 6:02 pm

Dylar wrote:
Nakena wrote:

You sure you ain't talking about Communism?

The founding fathers would be laughing at us right now if they saw how much we have mythologized the shit out of the late 1700s.

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Wed May 17, 2017 6:02 pm

Soldati Senza Confini wrote:
Nakena wrote:

What kind of history have you read? Because this is not at all how America has been since its inception.

It is kinda funny since the entire system was basically a series of compromises between two or more competing groups. It was never intended to work smoothly. In fact in some ways it was intentionally made to be ponderous since normally that allows people a chance to show whether they like or dislike something the government is doing. That very slowness helps to prevent bad ideas from going through.
Just A Little though

Corrian
Khan of Spam

New York Times Democracy

Postby Corrian » Wed May 17, 2017 6:04 pm

Soldati Senza Confini wrote:The founding fathers would be laughing at us right now if they saw how much we have mythologized the shit out of the late 1700s.

Weren't they also against organized parties on the level we have now?
My Last.FM and RYM

Great Nepal
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Nepal » Wed May 17, 2017 6:05 pm

Ashmoria wrote:
Major-Tom wrote:how the fuck did we what the

we elected this guy

why

its starting to seem like a bad idea, eh?

Almost as if that governing thing is actually complicated and requires relevant experiences and skill which not every tom, dick or harry possess; and electing populist 'outsiders' with no such experience, promising to solve every problem within days of getting into office is a silly idea.
Last edited by Great Nepal on Sun Nov 29, 1995 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Wed May 17, 2017 6:05 pm

Neutraligon wrote:
Soldati Senza Confini wrote:

It is kinda funny since the entire system was basically a series of compromises between two or more competing groups. It was never intended to work smoothly. In fact in some ways it was intentionally made to be ponderous since normally that allows people a chance to show whether they like or dislike something the government is doing. That very slowness helps to prevent bad ideas from going through.

I mean the system is basically a bunch of people going "alright fuck it, what's the plan? Throw shit together, make a few amendments, and let's hope and pray it all works? Yes? Alright. Any future problems, you say? How about we keep the amendment process open so that we can cross the river when we get to it? Yea? Perfect! Alright fellas, we have a government!"

Ism
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 14, 2011
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Ism » Wed May 17, 2017 6:05 pm

Nakena wrote:

Yes, a wonderful system which blundered its way to a civil war, disenfranchised the majority of people for the majority of its history, institutionalized racism, protected slavery, carried out genocide and embraced imperialism. Clearly a system that was "wonderful and well working"

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General