NATION

PASSWORD

Trump MAGAthread VI

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Lady Scylla
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 22, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Lady Scylla » Wed May 17, 2017 12:14 pm

Soldati Senza Confini wrote:
Lady Scylla wrote:
He just doesn't know what the hell he's doing.

I think he's aware of what he is trying to do, and to be fair, he wants expediency and efficiency in delivering his plans.

However, as I mentioned in my edit, the government just doesn't care about efficiency. They care about effectiveness. If efficiency comes out of it, good, but if it doesn't the government has practically unlimited time to enact its agenda, so government officials are not too fussed about it other than "we'll let someone else take the torch".

I just want a nation that runs like a machine. :v

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Founded: Mar 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Wed May 17, 2017 12:14 pm

The East Marches II wrote:
They're not really an economic drag. I mean, sure, it takes more effort and thus more money to invest in multilingual support, but it opens up markets.

They are in your own country. Taking more time and money to solve a problem which shouldn't exist in the first place. For doing business abroad, you do have an argument. Though I'm not so sure it would be useful the vast majority of the population in such a case.

I'm not sure why it wouldn't be. We don't know who's going to be doing business abroad and who isn't, so we're dependent on learning other languages anyways to keep competitiveness abroad.
Soldati senza confini: Better than an iPod in shuffle more with 20,000 songs.
Tekania wrote:Welcome to NSG, where informed opinions get to bump-heads with ignorant ideology under the pretense of an equal footing.

"When it’s a choice of putting food on the table, or thinking about your morals, it’s easier to say you’d think about your morals, but only if you’ve never faced that decision." - Anastasia Richardson

Current Goal: Flesh out nation factbook.

The East Marches II
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 11, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby The East Marches II » Wed May 17, 2017 12:15 pm

Conserative Morality wrote:
The East Marches II wrote:No, we should crush other languages under the superior boot of English. Failure to assimilate is what got us in the mess in the first place. Totalen Language Krieg.

When immigrants with less-than-perfect English skills are denied language assistance they tend to ghettoize. Are you in favor of Little Italies popping up over the States? LITTLE IRELANDS?

NO YOU CAN'T USE MY OWN PREJUDICES AGAINST ME THATS CHEATING

Salandriagado
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 03, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Salandriagado » Wed May 17, 2017 12:15 pm

Lady Scylla wrote:
I'll pass. That line of nationalist crap is not something I care for.

Then you've learned nothing from history it seems. You can not care for lessons all you want, doesn't make them less true.

Looks to me like countries that try that shit while having significant cultural divides tend to collapse violently.
Cosara wrote:
Anachronous Rex wrote:Good thing most a majority of people aren't so small-minded, and frightened of other's sexuality.

Over 40% (including me), are, so I fixed the post for accuracy.

Vilatania wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:
Notice that the link is to the notes from a university course on probability. You clearly have nothing beyond the most absurdly simplistic understanding of the subject.
By choosing 1, you no longer have 0 probability of choosing 1. End of subject.

(read up the quote stack)

Deal. £3000 do?[/quote]

Of course.[/quote]

Lady Scylla
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Lady Scylla » Wed May 17, 2017 12:15 pm

Lady Scylla wrote:
Xenophobia, conflict costing millions, destabilization, and cultural stagnation. Yeah, I'm good.

Xenophobia isn't necessarily bad. You should do some travel, you'll see that some things really are true on that front. No conflict costing millions or destabilization. You are just salty Welsh got rekt by English and now English continues its march to dominance.

Quoting for the record.

Herskerstad
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Herskerstad » Wed May 17, 2017 12:15 pm

Lady Scylla wrote:
Then you've learned nothing from history it seems. You can not care for lessons all you want, doesn't make them less true.

Xenophobia, conflict costing millions, destabilization, and cultural stagnation. Yeah, I'm good.

Good uniforms.

Checkmate.
Although the stars do not speak, even in being silent they cry out. - John Calvin

The East Marches II
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The East Marches II » Wed May 17, 2017 12:16 pm

They are in your own country. Taking more time and money to solve a problem which shouldn't exist in the first place. For doing business abroad, you do have an argument. Though I'm not so sure it would be useful the vast majority of the population in such a case.

I'm not sure why it wouldn't be. We don't know who's going to be doing business abroad and who isn't, so we're dependent on learning other languages anyways to keep competitiveness abroad.

I was able to learn languages just fine post University. At the High School or Middle School level, I don't think it has that much of an impact nor will students keep what they learned if they are forced into it. If a kid wants to learn another language, they should have the chance to do so but to make it mandatory is too much.

Salandriagado
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salandriagado » Wed May 17, 2017 12:16 pm

Salandriagado wrote:Yes, absolutely.

Nah, thats how you end up with Austria-Hungary. I'm good fam thanks.

Or India. Or the UK. Or the US.

Salandriagado wrote:Because it's dramatically useful to almost everybody? Far, far more useful than almost everything else learned in schools?

You mean more useful than being able to read and write? Thats a hell of a claim. Proofadoodledoo?

What, exactly, do you think the word "almost" means?

Salandriagado wrote:I have literally never made any argument that can remotely be represented as that.

That is your go to argument whenever anybody criticizes government spending. I'm just preempting your usual argument. :^)

Erm, no, it isn't. I've literally never made any argument of the sort, unless you care to provide evidence to the contrary?
Cosara wrote:
Anachronous Rex wrote:Good thing most a majority of people aren't so small-minded, and frightened of other's sexuality.

Vilatania wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:
Notice that the link is to the notes from a university course on probability. You clearly have nothing beyond the most absurdly simplistic understanding of the subject.

Deal. £3000 do?[/quote]

Of course.[/quote]

Lady Scylla
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Lady Scylla » Wed May 17, 2017 12:17 pm

Herskerstad wrote:
Lady Scylla wrote:

Good uniforms.

Checkmate.

They were pretty Boss.

The East Marches II
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The East Marches II » Wed May 17, 2017 12:17 pm

Salandriagado wrote:

Looks to me like countries that try that shit while having significant cultural divides tend to collapse violently.

Looks to me like allowing that sort of nonsense to happen is what causes cultural divides in the first place.

Salandriagado
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salandriagado » Wed May 17, 2017 12:18 pm

Salandriagado wrote:

Looks to me like allowing that sort of nonsense to happen is what causes cultural divides in the first place.

Bollocks is it. There are very few nations that have ever been culturally homogeneous, and none anywhere near as large as the US.
Cosara wrote:

Vilatania wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:

Deal. £3000 do?[/quote]

Of course.[/quote]

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Wed May 17, 2017 12:18 pm

I was able to learn languages just fine post University. At the High School or Middle School level, I don't think it has that much of an impact nor will students keep what they learned if they are forced into it. If a kid wants to learn another language, they should have the chance to do so but to make it mandatory is too much.

I'm in the same boat. If we're going to have multilingual education be a thing, at least let it be optional, just as it is right now with the choice of the child taking a second language or parents moving to a zip or enrolling a child into a bilingual school.
Tekania wrote:Welcome to NSG, where informed opinions get to bump-heads with ignorant ideology under the pretense of an equal footing.

"When it’s a choice of putting food on the table, or thinking about your morals, it’s easier to say you’d think about your morals, but only if you’ve never faced that decision." - Anastasia Richardson

Lady Scylla
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Lady Scylla » Wed May 17, 2017 12:19 pm

Salandriagado wrote:

The act of building ever larger federations has become the norm. Letting the globe revert back to some feudal chaotic cesspit doesn't appear to be on anyone's agenda, Conservative or Liberal.

Lady Scylla
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Lady Scylla » Wed May 17, 2017 12:20 pm

Salandriagado wrote:

Bollocks is it. There are very few nations that have ever been culturally homogeneous, and none anywhere near as large as the US.

Or Russia, or China, or India, or Iran, the UK, France, Spain, Germany.

The East Marches II
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The East Marches II » Wed May 17, 2017 12:24 pm

Salandriagado wrote:Or India. Or the UK. Or the US.

Exactly, who wants more little Italys or Birminghams? I'll pass thanks fam.

Salandriagado wrote:What, exactly, do you think the word "almost" means?

You were playing it up to be more important than it was, you got called on it. Just admit it, there is no harm :^)

Salandriagado wrote:Erm, no, it isn't. I've literally never made any argument of the sort, unless you care to provide evidence to the contrary?

Salandriagado wrote:You aren't. You are paying the government for permission to conduct business within its territory. The government is spending its funds on whatever the fuck it likes. This is no more you paying for abortion services than it would be if your landlord donated money to planned parenthood.

This is from a locked thread, do pardon me
Salandriagado wrote:They do, however, have an obligation to pay the government whatever the government demands for the privilege of using the government-backed currency to operate within the government's territory using government services. What you are doing is precisely the same as me complaining that my landlord donates money to charity - it's irrelevant, once he's got it, it's his money, and he'll spend it how he likes.

Also a locked thread
Salandriagado wrote:I've bolded the important part that you ignored. It makes no more sense for you to whine about what the government spends its revenue on than it makes for me to whine about what my landlord spends his money on.
Last edited by The East Marches II on Wed May 17, 2017 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The East Marches II
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The East Marches II » Wed May 17, 2017 12:25 pm

Lady Scylla wrote:

The act of building ever larger federations has become the norm. Letting the globe revert back to some feudal chaotic cesspit doesn't appear to be on anyone's agenda, Conservative or Liberal.

Its too late for that. Its already sliding back. We missed our chance for a final decisive victory about 20 years ago. We're facing a situation similar to the build of WW2 in a way. We won the last Great War but people don't wish to acknowledge that we totally lost the peace and it isn't coming back. Thats why the West has stood like deer in the headlights when all these international crisis and issues broke out that we had thought were resolved for good.
Last edited by The East Marches II on Wed May 17, 2017 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The East Marches II
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The East Marches II » Wed May 17, 2017 12:27 pm

I'm in the same boat. If we're going to have multilingual education be a thing, at least let it be optional, just as it is right now with the choice of the child taking a second language or parents moving to a zip or enrolling a child into a bilingual school.

What I personally would like to see is more Oriental languages available for students to learn. As of now, from my school days, I remember German, Spanish and French being the ones able to be taken. Those are all well and good but they are of questionable utility in the long run (barring Spanish). If you had other languages of developing places, that could really be useful.

Sanctissima
Powerbroker

Founded: Jul 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Sanctissima » Wed May 17, 2017 12:31 pm

What I personally would like to see is more Oriental languages available for students to learn. As of now, from my school days, I remember German, Spanish and French being the ones able to be taken. Those are all well and good but they are of questionable utility in the long run (barring Spanish). If you had other languages of developing places, that could really be useful.

Eh, the problem with that is the difference in alphabet, and script for that matter.

Getting the kids on board with learning a wholly different type of language, let alone hiring teachers knowledgeable in the subject, would be quite the feat for secondary schools.

Lady Scylla
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Lady Scylla » Wed May 17, 2017 12:32 pm

Lady Scylla wrote:

Its too late for that. Its already sliding back. We missed our chance for a final decisive victory about 20 years ago. We're facing a situation similar to the build of WW2 in a way. We won the last Great War but people don't wish to acknowledge that we totally lost the peace and it isn't coming back. Thats why the West has stood like deer in the headlights when all these international crisis and issues broke out that we had thought were resolved for good.

Such defeatism. Inter-state conflict between the largest players has grinded mostly to a halt, leaving a clean-up of third-world regions where conflict still exists. I'd say we've been pretty successful. Just because you trip, doesn't mean you must curl up in a little, tight ball and cry about how it's all over because boohoo your bumped your knee.

The East Marches II
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The East Marches II » Wed May 17, 2017 12:33 pm

Sanctissima wrote:

Eh, the problem with that is the difference in alphabet, and script for that matter.

Getting the kids on board with learning a wholly different type of language, let alone hiring teachers knowledgeable in the subject, would be quite the feat for secondary schools.

Yes, alas, it would require a change to our education system. I know that my dreams on that front are unrealistic.

Washington Resistance Army
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 08, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby Washington Resistance Army » Wed May 17, 2017 12:33 pm

We should all just go back to Latin, tbh.
Hellenic Polytheist, Socialist

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Wed May 17, 2017 12:34 pm

German and French are only good in certain contexts, and even then, only a minority of professionals have to know German and French in the US.

Spanish, Hindi, Farsi and other Arabic languages, and Mandarin Chinese as well as Cantonese have far more business and geopolitical utility for us than German and French in the long run.

Sanctissima
Powerbroker

Founded: Jul 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Sanctissima » Wed May 17, 2017 12:35 pm

Sanctissima wrote:

Yes, alas, it would require a change to our education system. I know that my dreams on that front are unrealistic.

Yeah, quite the massive overhaul to be completely honest. If the American education system is anything like that of Canada's, the first order of business is to update what have become extremely laxed standards.

Washington Resistance Army wrote:

We should all just go back to Latin, tbh.

Yes!

Do this! Latin est superbia! Roma Invicta!

Naysayers are Teutonic barbari that must be crucified!

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Wed May 17, 2017 12:36 pm

Sanctissima wrote:

Many developing world languages have latinized ways of writing. And it seems the trend for writing is leaning that way with globalism.

Ism
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 14, 2011
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Ism » Wed May 17, 2017 12:36 pm

Sanctissima wrote:

The bigger issue is that schools will only teach a language for one period a day. That is completely useless. Outside of that period, there's no use of the language, and no use at all during vacation.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General