NATION

PASSWORD

Miami's tent city for sex offenders

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Sarzonia
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 22, 2004
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Re: Miami's tent city for sex offenders

Postby Sarzonia » Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:23 pm

The sex offenders who are bitching about their treatment should have thought of that before they committed their crimes.
First WCC Grand Slam Champion
NSWC Hall of Fame Inductee (post-World Cup 25)
Former WLC President. He/him/his.

Our trophy case and other honours; Our hosting history

Derscon
Minister

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Derscon » Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:24 pm

The Cat-Tribe wrote:
Derscon wrote:
The Cat-Tribe wrote:That said, the "sex with a minor is OK if it consensual" line of argument is not just wrong, but evil and naseauting.

Why?

'Cuz I said so.

kk
NationStates remains an excellent educational tool for children. It can teach you exactly just how far people will go to gain extrajudicially what they could never gain legitimately. ~ Questers
And congratulations to Derscon, who has finally codified the exact basis on which NS issues work. ~ Ardchoille

瞞天過海

The Cat-Tribe
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 18, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby The Cat-Tribe » Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:24 pm

Allanea wrote:
What shouldn't be arguable is that a 30-year-old man that had "sexual relations" (that may or may not have included force or violence) with a 16-year-old in Florida did nothing wrong.

Don't you think if violence was involved, then the article would have mentioned he was a rapist?

The article wasn't about what crime he committed and appears to be relying on his self-reporting.
I quit (again).
The Altani Confederacy wrote:
The Cat-Tribe wrote:With that, I am done with these shenanigans. Do as thou wilt.

Can't miss you until you're gone, Ambassador. Seriously, your delegation is like one of those stores that has a "Going Out Of Business" sale for twenty years. Stay or go, already.*snip*
"Don't give me no shit because . . . I've been Tired . . ." ~ Pixies
With that, "he put his boots on, he took a face from the Ancient Gallery, and he walked on down the Hall . . ."

The Romulan Republic
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby The Romulan Republic » Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:29 pm

Sarzonia wrote:The sex offenders who are bitching about their treatment should have thought of that before they committed their crimes.

Where do people get this idea that a crime, however disgusting, justifies any barbaric treatment whatsoever in retaliation?
"Our progress in degeneracy appears to me to be pretty rapid. As a nation, we began by declaring that "all men are created equal." We now practically read it "all men are created equal, except negroes" When the Know-Nothings get control, it will read "all men are created equal, except negroes, and foreigners, and Catholics." When it comes to this I should prefer emigrating to some country where they make no pretence of loving liberty -- to Russia, for instance, where despotism can be taken pure, and without the base alloy of hypocracy." - President Abraham Lincoln.

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:29 pm

The Cat-Tribe wrote: :palm: :palm:

Um. Did I need a smilie to make it clear that response was facetious? :eyebrow:

Sorry. 'Tis NSG, after all. I'm afraid the noobs have been getting to me. My apologies.
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

Allanea
Postmaster of the Fleet

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Allanea » Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:30 pm

If he's a rapist, then obviously rape is wrong. But then it'd be wrong if she were 116, too, right?

If he's not a rapist, then he's not a rapist.
#HyperEarthBestEarth

Sometimes, there really is money on the sidewalk.

The Cat-Tribe
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 18, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby The Cat-Tribe » Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:33 pm

Allanea wrote:If he's a rapist, then obviously rape is wrong. But then it'd be wrong if she were 116, too, right?

It is true that the laws of various states differ, but most don't distinquish between rapists and "it was just rape 'cuz she was a youngin."

Regardless, if he didn't use violence, would it be OK if his victim were 6?
I quit (again).
The Altani Confederacy wrote:
The Cat-Tribe wrote:With that, I am done with these shenanigans. Do as thou wilt.

Can't miss you until you're gone, Ambassador. Seriously, your delegation is like one of those stores that has a "Going Out Of Business" sale for twenty years. Stay or go, already.*snip*
"Don't give me no shit because . . . I've been Tired . . ." ~ Pixies
With that, "he put his boots on, he took a face from the Ancient Gallery, and he walked on down the Hall . . ."

SaintB
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 18, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby SaintB » Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:35 pm

Grays Harbor wrote:"Age of consent" is put in place for a reason. Cat tribe has the right idea. Just because some folk want to get touchy-feely "I feel so bad for the convicted felons, we should bend over backwards for them" is not a good reason to forget that the convicted sex offenders and child molesters are not the victims.

The fact they are a convicted felon is also not a good reason to force them to live on the fringes of society in tents where they are unable to get jobs and et all; which as was pointed out by Murv does nothing but increase their chances of committing more and more heinous crimes.
Hi my name is SaintB and I am prone to sarcasm and hyperbole. Because of this I make no warranties, express or implied, concerning the accuracy, completeness, reliability or suitability of the above statement, of its constituent parts, or of any supporting data. These terms are subject to change without notice from myself.

Every day NationStates tells me I have one issue. I am pretty sure I've got more than that.

Jingoist Hippostan
Ambassador

Founded: May 28, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Jingoist Hippostan » Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:36 pm

Allanea wrote:
They could always move elsewhere. People are making out like it's a concentration camp.

Actually, they can't. The whole reason they moved there is because they cannot return to their previous homes.

Reasonably, they could just move out of Florida. The bridge is the only place they can legally live in Dade county, not in the United States.
I am a communist and a Nazi.

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:38 pm

The Cat-Tribe wrote:It is true that the laws of various states differ, but most don't distinquish between rapists and "it was just rape 'cuz she was a youngin."

I quite like the age of consent at 16. I would consider intercourse with someone under the legal age of consent for that state rape, but I was under the (Possibly misguided) notion that it was called 'Statutory rape'? Or, if not hit puberty yet, 'Child Molestation', and entirely different crimes?
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.

SaintB
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 18, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby SaintB » Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:39 pm

Jingoist Hippostan wrote:
Allanea wrote:
They could always move elsewhere. People are making out like it's a concentration camp.

Actually, they can't. The whole reason they moved there is because they cannot return to their previous homes.

Reasonably, they could just move out of Florida. The bridge is the only place they can legally live in Dade county, not in the United States.

First they have to prove they have employment and a permanent address in that area, or they are in violation of the laws and once again imprisoned.
Hi my name is SaintB and I am prone to sarcasm and hyperbole. Because of this I make no warranties, express or implied, concerning the accuracy, completeness, reliability or suitability of the above statement, of its constituent parts, or of any supporting data. These terms are subject to change without notice from myself.

Every day NationStates tells me I have one issue. I am pretty sure I've got more than that.

Lizardiar
Minister

Founded: May 21, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Lizardiar » Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:40 pm

Conserative Morality wrote:
The Cat-Tribe wrote:It is true that the laws of various states differ, but most don't distinquish between rapists and "it was just rape 'cuz she was a youngin."

I quite like the age of consent at 16. I would consider intercourse with someone under the legal age of consent for that state rape, but I was under the (Possibly misguided) notion that it was called 'Statutory rape'? Or, if not hit puberty yet, 'Child Molestation', and entirely different crimes?

Wouldn't they both be rape though?
In all corners of the globe, the free people's slogan is this:
Speak to Fascists in the language of fire! With words of bullets! With sharp wit of bayonets!

Economic Left/Right: 4.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.41

Allanea
Postmaster of the Fleet

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Allanea » Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:40 pm

The Cat-Tribe wrote:
Allanea wrote:If he's a rapist, then obviously rape is wrong. But then it'd be wrong if she were 116, too, right?

It is true that the laws of various states differ, but most don't distinquish between rapists and "it was just rape 'cuz she was a youngin."

No, but she wasn't 6, was she?
#HyperEarthBestEarth

Poliwanacraca
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 08, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Poliwanacraca » Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:44 pm

Allanea wrote:
The Cat-Tribe wrote:

So what you're saying is that there is a somewhat arbitrary cut-off point below which someone is too young to legally consent to sexual activity, but the people who decide where that cut-off point is should not be lawmakers or experts on child development, but...you. For no particular reason, other than "because you said so."

Strangely, this argument is not overwhelmingly persuasive.
"You know...I've just realized that "Poliwanacraca" is, when rendered in Arabic, an anagram for "Bom-chica-wohw-waaaow", the famous "sexy riff" that was born in the 70's and will live forever..." - Hammurab
----
"Extortion is such a nasty word.
I much prefer 'magnolia'. 'Magnolia' is a much nicer word." - Saint Clair Island

----
"Go forth my snarky diaper babies, and CONQUER!" - Neo Art

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:45 pm

Lizardiar wrote:Wouldn't they both be rape though?

Different charges, I believe.

Lizardiar
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Lizardiar » Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:46 pm

Allanea wrote:
The Cat-Tribe wrote:

If it was, would you still be fighting this hard to get them to be treated like other people living in Miami?
Speak to Fascists in the language of fire! With words of bullets! With sharp wit of bayonets!

Allanea
Postmaster of the Fleet

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Allanea » Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:47 pm

"Fighting this hard"?
#HyperEarthBestEarth

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:47 pm

Lizardiar wrote:If it was, would you still be fighting this hard to get them to be treated like other people living in Miami?

I would. They did their time in prison, they're free, let them try and turn their life around.

Poliwanacraca
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Poliwanacraca » Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:49 pm

Lizardiar wrote:If it was, would you still be fighting this hard to get them to be treated like other people living in Miami?

Some of them did rape 6-year-olds, I'm sure, and I still think it is better for them to be easily located by police and parole officers, and to have reasons to try not to reoffend. I explained this already, as did Mur'v - maybe you should try reading those posts?
"You know...I've just realized that "Poliwanacraca" is, when rendered in Arabic, an anagram for "Bom-chica-wohw-waaaow", the famous "sexy riff" that was born in the 70's and will live forever..." - Hammurab
----
I much prefer 'magnolia'. 'Magnolia' is a much nicer word." - Saint Clair Island

----

Lizardiar
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Lizardiar » Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:51 pm

I would. They did their time in prison, they're free, let them try and turn their life around.

You wouldn't be disgusted by them since they had sex with a 6 year-old?

BunnySaurus Bugsii
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 15, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby BunnySaurus Bugsii » Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:51 pm

How about giving the sex-offenders the option of wearing a GPS bracelet in exchange for being able to live just a little closer to schools or parks. Say 300 m.

If they walk into that zone, they breach their conditions and it's back out to the bridge.
Lucky Bicycle Works ⊂ BunnySaurus Bugsii ⊂ Nobel Hobos

More sig:
Saboteur: A well-meaning idiot, walking into the future barefoot.

The moongoose step: a combination of can-can, goose-step, and moon-step. I haven't perfected it yet.

I can however do John Cleese's Silly Walk, with elements of falling on my arse.

When we hear our future selves, we are humbled. We are willing servants.

The Romulan Republic
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby The Romulan Republic » Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:53 pm

Lizardiar wrote:You wouldn't be disgusted by them since they had sex with a 6 year-old?

I for one can be disgusted with someone and still see the value of granting them basic human rights, for both pragmatic and purely altruistic reasons.
"Our progress in degeneracy appears to me to be pretty rapid. As a nation, we began by declaring that "all men are created equal." We now practically read it "all men are created equal, except negroes" When the Know-Nothings get control, it will read "all men are created equal, except negroes, and foreigners, and Catholics." When it comes to this I should prefer emigrating to some country where they make no pretence of loving liberty -- to Russia, for instance, where despotism can be taken pure, and without the base alloy of hypocracy." - President Abraham Lincoln.

Saint Jade IV
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 02, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Saint Jade IV » Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:53 pm

Grays Harbor wrote:
The Cat-Tribe wrote:
UnhealthyTruthseeker wrote:In some societies, girls and boys are already married by the age of 16, and an understanding of biology will show that on some visceral level, 16 year olds want to go off on their own to start a family. In other societies, the age of consent is quite high, in some cases over 20. The particular age of consent of a society seems rather arbitrary and not based on any solid rational ground.

In some societies, there is no such thing as rape. In some societies, victims of rape are required to marry their rapist. Does that make all laws punishing sexual violence "arbitrary and not based on any solid rational ground"?

Most societies recognize that there is a process of development of cognitive and emotional (as well as physical) maturity over time. The fact that we cannot all agree on the exact point that minor becomes capable of consenting to sex does not mean we should just do away with the concept of age of consent. Nor does it excuse those that violate a jurisdictions fairly-enacted laws about the age of consent.

And it could also be added to your fine list that in some societies, mainly the middle east, rape victims are the ones prosecuted and on occassion stoned to death.

"Age of consent" is put in place for a reason. Cat tribe has the right idea. Just because some folk want to get touchy-feely "I feel so bad for the convicted felons, we should bend over backwards for them" is not a good reason to forget that the convicted sex offenders and child molesters are not the victims.

I don't think too many people would disagree with the concept of age of consent. I don't think anyone is suggesting that we bend over backwards. What people are suggesting is that these people are given a fresh start once they have served their time, like any other criminal.

When public urination (and yes I find it indecent in the extreme) can get you on the sex offenders' registry, then I think you need to reexamine your laws. Do you really think it appropriate that someone who took a piss against a tree in a moment of drunken stupidity has their life ruined completely?

Do you really think that anyone deserves to live in these conditions, created by us?

When they are forced into stone-age conditions that we would not keep animals in, then yes, they are victims. They are victims of a knee-jerk response to a hateful crime that will ultimately make them more, not less, likely to reoffend in the future.

In for a penny, in for a pound as they say.
When you grow up, your heart dies.
It's my estimation that every man ever got a statue made of him was one kind of son of a b*tch or another.
RIP Dyakovo...we are all poorer for your loss.

Poliwanacraca
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Poliwanacraca » Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:54 pm

Lizardiar wrote:

You wouldn't be disgusted by them since they had sex with a 6 year-old?

I think most of us would be disgusted with them, yes. So what?
----

----

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:54 pm

Lizardiar wrote:You wouldn't be disgusted by them since they had sex with a 6 year-old?

I would be disgusted by that. I am also disgusted by those who try to rob stores, or houses. However, the jury convicted them, the judge sentenced them to time, and then they get out, and try to turn their lives around. It shouldn't be a life-long punishment, unless the judge deems it necessary to give them a life sentence.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General