NATION

PASSWORD

Crowdfunding Facebook Posts?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Some statements...

Ignorance is bliss
10%
Crowdfunding Facebook posts is a terrible idea
33%
Crowdfunding Facebook posts is an OK idea
6%
Crowdfunding Facebook posts is a wonderful idea
4%
Save the whales
21%
I love surveys
11%
I hate surveys
15%

Total votes : 81

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:33 pm

Xerographica wrote:
Galloism wrote:No.

But if you publicly start telling everyone that you gave your friend Amy $100 because she gave your friend Sherry a kidney, you're an asshole.

So if you spend $100 dollars on Amy's post... you're an asshole? But if you don't spend any money on her post... then you're not an asshole?

No, if you spend money on her post, you're an irrational idiot. If you give money to her as a gift because she needs money after recovering from kidney surgery, you're probably a nice guy. If you then tell everyone that you gave her money because of that, you're an asshole.

Since you're so fond of Bible verses and stories, try this on for size:

Jesus, all around good egg wrote:"So when you give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honored by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your giving may be in secret. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.

Matthew 6: 2-4
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:35 pm

Xerographica wrote:
Galloism wrote:Three, I guess.

1) Suffer temporary insanity, such that I would actually bother to send someone a dollar for a facebook post
2) Login to paypal while desperately searching for antipsychotic medication
2) Send money to email address before it kicks in.

You're assuming that you have their e-mail address memorized.

They're all in my address book.

But then again, if you're going to get that granular, we could break down every pixel of mouse movement as a step and every keyboard stroke as a step, which would actually result in fewer steps to send money by paypal than click on a "give" link.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Xerographica
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 15, 2012
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Xerographica » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:45 pm

Galloism wrote:
Xerographica wrote:You're assuming that you have their e-mail address memorized.

They're all in my address book.

But then again, if you're going to get that granular, we could break down every pixel of mouse movement as a step and every keyboard stroke as a step, which would actually result in fewer steps to send money by paypal than click on a "give" link.

Let me count the steps...

1. Go to Gmail (or wherever)
2. Look up the e-mail address
3. Copy the e-mail address
4. Go to Paypal
5. Login
6. Go the payment page
7. Paste the e-mail address
8. Enter the amount
9. Add a message "This is for your post about donating your kidney"
10. Click the button

It's quite a few steps to give somebody a dollar to show your appreciation for their post. From my perspective, it should always be easier, rather than harder, to give somebody money. The less rigmarole the better.
Forsher wrote:You, I and everyone we know, knows Xero's threads are about one thing and one thing only.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:48 pm

Xerographica wrote:
Galloism wrote:They're all in my address book.

Let me count the steps...

4. Go to Paypal
5. Login
6. Go the payment page
8. Enter the amount
10. Click the button

It's quite a few steps to give somebody a dollar to show your appreciation for their post. From my perspective, it should always be easier, rather than harder, to give somebody money. The less rigmarole the better.

You seem to have forgotten the part where I have to go insane first. In any case, it's fewer steps than that.

1) Ask siri for the email address.
2) Copy to clipboard
3) Ask siri to launch paypal app
4) Login with thumbprint
5) Hit send money, paste email address, send

Xerographica
Negotiator

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Xerographica » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:51 pm

Galloism wrote:
Xerographica wrote:Let me count the steps...

4. Go to Paypal
5. Login
6. Go the payment page
8. Enter the amount
10. Click the button

You seem to have forgotten the part where I have to go insane first. In any case, it's fewer steps than that.

1) Ask siri for the email address.
2) Copy to clipboard
3) Ask siri to launch paypal app
4) Login with thumbprint
5) Hit send money, paste email address, send

It's still a lot more steps than simply clicking the "Like" button. Providing substantial feedback should be just as easy as providing superficial feedback.
Forsher wrote:You, I and everyone we know, knows Xero's threads are about one thing and one thing only.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:52 pm

Xerographica wrote:It's still a lot more steps than simply clicking the "Like" button. Providing substantial feedback should be just as easy as providing superficial feedback.

Nah, because the only feedback we would get would be from the economically irrational.

That's probably not valuable.

Xerographica
Negotiator

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Xerographica » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:00 pm

Galloism wrote:
Xerographica wrote:It's still a lot more steps than simply clicking the "Like" button. Providing substantial feedback should be just as easy as providing superficial feedback.

Nah, because the only feedback we would get would be from the economically irrational.

How many irrational friends do you have?

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:02 pm

Xerographica wrote:
Galloism wrote:Nah, because the only feedback we would get would be from the economically irrational.

How many irrational friends do you have?

Friends? None.

Acquiantences who happen to be on Facebook? Quite a few.

Xerographica
Negotiator

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Xerographica » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:17 pm

Galloism wrote:
Xerographica wrote:How many irrational friends do you have?

Friends? None.

So your friends wouldn't spend any money on your posts... but your acquaintances would? That doesn't sound very likely.

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Founded: Mar 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:17 pm

Xerographica wrote:
Galloism wrote:No.

But if you publicly start telling everyone that you gave your friend Amy $100 because she gave your friend Sherry a kidney, you're an asshole.

So if you spend $100 dollars on Amy's post... you're an asshole? But if you don't spend any money on her post... then you're not an asshole?

Well, the problem is that making a gift, monetary or otherwise, public, is of bad taste.

You don't give something in public. You do it in private and you don't boast about it, nor do you hold it over someone's head.

Your system would effectively lead to this.
Soldati senza confini: Better than an iPod in shuffle more with 20,000 songs.
Tekania wrote:Welcome to NSG, where informed opinions get to bump-heads with ignorant ideology under the pretense of an equal footing.

"When it’s a choice of putting food on the table, or thinking about your morals, it’s easier to say you’d think about your morals, but only if you’ve never faced that decision." - Anastasia Richardson

Current Goal: Flesh out nation factbook.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:19 pm

Xerographica wrote:
Galloism wrote:Friends? None.

So your friends wouldn't spend any money on your posts... but your acquaintances would? That doesn't sound very likely.

Only irrational ones.

So your system sorts based on the most irrational.

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:19 pm

Xerographica wrote:
Galloism wrote:Friends? None.

It sounds highly likely, actually.

Friends aren't necessarily your friends out of economic benefit. You're magnanimous to your friends and you offer to help and do things for them at no cost, as such the expectation that they will do something for you at no cost is also great.
Tekania wrote:Welcome to NSG, where informed opinions get to bump-heads with ignorant ideology under the pretense of an equal footing.

"When it’s a choice of putting food on the table, or thinking about your morals, it’s easier to say you’d think about your morals, but only if you’ve never faced that decision." - Anastasia Richardson

Xerographica
Negotiator

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Xerographica » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:44 pm

Galloism wrote:
Xerographica wrote:So your friends wouldn't spend any money on your posts... but your acquaintances would? That doesn't sound very likely.

Only irrational ones.

You think that somebody who donates to the Red Cross is irrational. So we obviously have very different definitions of "irrational".

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:47 pm

Xerographica wrote:
Galloism wrote:Only irrational ones.

You think that somebody who donates to the Red Cross is irrational.

No. Well, kind of. People get "feelz" in the exchange, along with a tax deduction. Whether those feels are themselves rational is a bit of an open question.

So we obviously have very different definitions of "irrational".

Yes. Mine is the economics version.

Xerographica
Negotiator

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Xerographica » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:47 pm

Soldati Senza Confini wrote:
Xerographica wrote:So your friends wouldn't spend any money on your posts... but your acquaintances would? That doesn't sound very likely.

Friends aren't necessarily your friends out of economic benefit. You're magnanimous to your friends and you offer to help and do things for them at no cost, as such the expectation that they will do something for you at no cost is also great.

It's such a funny thing that everybody is fine with friends giving each other their time... but when time is replaced with money... then everybody starts protesting. Well... unless you're giving somebody money for their birthday, or graduation, or Christmas, or ...
Last edited by Xerographica on Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Xerographica
Negotiator

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Xerographica » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:48 pm

Galloism wrote:
Xerographica wrote:You think that somebody who donates to the Red Cross is irrational.

No. Well, kind of. People get "feelz" in the exchange, along with a tax deduction. Whether those feels are themselves rational is a bit of an open question.

So we obviously have very different definitions of "irrational".

Really? Please cite your sources.

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 11, 2004
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:50 pm

Xerographica wrote:It's such a funny thing that everybody is fine with friends giving each other their time... but when time is replaced with money...

You don't give friends your time.

You share it.
I identify as
a problem

Camicon
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Camicon » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:53 pm

Grave_n_idle wrote:
Xerographica wrote:It's such a funny thing that everybody is fine with friends giving each other their time... but when time is replaced with money...

You don't give friends your time.

You share it.

Share it? I knew I was missing something. I've been sitting next to my friends, passively, with a 1000 yard stare; never understood why they'd walk away after a few minutes.
Hey/They
Active since May, 2009
Country of glowing hearts, and patrons of the arts
Help me out
Star spangled madness, united sadness
Count me out
The Trews, Under The Sun
No human is more human than any other. - Lieutenant-General Roméo Antonius Dallaire
Don't shine for swine. - Metric, Soft Rock Star
Love is hell. Hell is love. Hell is asking to be loved. - Emily Haines and the Soft Skeleton, Detective Daughter

Why (Male) Rape Is Hilarious [because it has to be]

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:56 pm

Xerographica wrote:
Soldati Senza Confini wrote:

It's such a funny thing that everybody is fine with friends giving each other their time... but when time is replaced with money... then everybody starts protesting. Well... unless you're giving somebody money for their birthday, or graduation, or Christmas, or ...

Because it is understood your friend is kind of a dick if they start asking for a fee for your time.

The Two Jerseys
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 07, 2012
Father Knows Best State

Postby The Two Jerseys » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:57 pm

Galloism wrote:
Xerographica wrote:You think that somebody who donates to the Red Cross is irrational.

What if one donates to the Red Cross because they live in Tornado Alley and see it as funding a disaster contingency plan? Seems pretty rational to me.
"The Duke of Texas" is too formal for regular use. Just call me "Your Grace".
"If I would like to watch goodness, sanity, God and logic being fucked I would watch Japanese porn." -Nightkill the Emperor
"This thread makes me wish I was a moron so that I wouldn't have to comprehend how stupid the topic is." -The Empire of Pretantia
Head of State: HM King Louis
Head of Government: The Rt. Hon. James O'Dell MP, Prime Minister
Ambassador to the World Assembly: HE Sir John Ross "J.R." Ewing II, Bt.
Join Excalibur Squadron. We're Commandos who fly Spitfires. Chicks dig Commandos who fly Spitfires.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:22 pm

Xerographica wrote:
Galloism wrote:

Really? Please cite your sources.

A rational behavior decision-making process is based on making choices that result in the most optimal level of benefit or utility for the individual.

Read more: Rational Behavior http://www.investopedia.com/terms/r/rat ... z4eCMNvXR1

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:24 pm

The Two Jerseys wrote:
Galloism wrote:

What if one donates to the Red Cross because they live in Tornado Alley and see it as funding a disaster contingency plan? Seems pretty rational to me.

I mean, kind of, particularly if you have a secondary benefit of a tax deduction and feels.

Barring the 'feels' thing, though, and the tax implications, the more individually rational action is to donate nothing and get the benefit of others donations without cost.
Last edited by Galloism on Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Xerographica
Negotiator

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Xerographica » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:26 pm

Galloism wrote:
Xerographica wrote:Really? Please cite your sources.

A rational behavior decision-making process is based on making choices that result in the most optimal level of benefit or utility for the individual.

Read more: Rational Behavior http://www.investopedia.com/terms/r/rat ... z4eCMNvXR1

You're arguing that if somebody spends their money on your Facebook post it's because they are irrational. This would only be true if they didn't derive any utility from your Facebook post. Are you seriously going to argue that you know exactly how much utility people derive from your Facebook posts? Are you seriously going to argue that you're a mind-reader?

The Two Jerseys
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 07, 2012
Father Knows Best State

Postby The Two Jerseys » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:28 pm

Xerographica wrote:

You're arguing that if somebody spends their money on your Facebook post it's because they are irrational. This would only be true if they didn't derive any utility from your Facebook post. Are you seriously going to argue that you know exactly how much utility people derive from your Facebook posts? Are you seriously going to argue that you're a mind-reader?

What utility did you derive from reading this sentence?
"The Duke of Texas" is too formal for regular use. Just call me "Your Grace".
"If I would like to watch goodness, sanity, God and logic being fucked I would watch Japanese porn." -Nightkill the Emperor
"This thread makes me wish I was a moron so that I wouldn't have to comprehend how stupid the topic is." -The Empire of Pretantia
Head of State: HM King Louis
Head of Government: The Rt. Hon. James O'Dell MP, Prime Minister
Ambassador to the World Assembly: HE Sir John Ross "J.R." Ewing II, Bt.
Join Excalibur Squadron. We're Commandos who fly Spitfires. Chicks dig Commandos who fly Spitfires.

Grenartia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 14, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:29 pm

Xerographica wrote:There you are on Facebook scrolling through your feed. In one post, your friend Sarah writes that she donated her kidney to your mutual friend Samantha. There's a heartwarming picture attached to the post. Are you going to click the "Like" button? Of course. Will Samantha click the "Like" button? Of course! But doesn't simply clicking the "Like" button seem woefully inadequate?

What if you had the option to spend your money on Sarah's post? Let's say that you spent $3 dollars on Sarah's post. Facebook would take a reasonable cut (5%?) and give the rest to Sarah. How much money would Samantha be willing to spend on Sarah's post? How much money would the crowd be willing to spend on Sarah's post? How much money would Sarah make for donating her kidney to Samantha? Right now it's illegal to sell your kidney. But shouldn't donating your kidney be profitable?

If posts were crowdfunded then you would be able to see and know exactly how much money had been spent on a post. In other words, you would know the value of each and every post on your feed. This would give you the ability to filter out posts that were less valuable than $1 dollar... or $10 dollars... or $100 dollars.

To be sure, trying to figure out how much money to spend on a post would definitely be far more mentally taxing than deciding whether you like a post. But this is exactly why the amount of money spent on a post would be a far more trustworthy indication of its importance. People actually had to use their brains! They had to seriously consider the trade-offs.

Clicking the "Like" button on a post is superficial feedback. There's absolutely no cost/sacrifice. Spending money on a post is substantial feedback. There certainly is a cost/sacrifice.

When the feedback is superficial... then faking it is costless. When the feedback is substantial... then faking it is costly.

The question is... do you want to know what people really think about your posts? I'm guessing that, for most of you, the answer is "NO!!!!" Most people really like to delude themselves into believing that their posts are far more valuable than they truly are. The problem with this delusional mentality is that it results in society suffering from a severe shortage of genuinely beneficial behavior.

If you believe that your photos are exceptionally good... you can share them on Facebook and lots of people might be happy to "Like" them. After all, it doesn't cost them anything to do so. If they don't truly enjoy your photos, then clicking the "Like" button is just a little white lie that can help strengthen the bonds of friendship.

But if you take your photos to the flea market...

Entrepreneurship is the optimal medium for empirically demonstrating the value of an idea. If you really want to know what an idea is worth, if you really want to know how useful it is, take that idea and engage reality with it. Attempt to create value for others, attempt to solve problems within the context of an accountability structure rooted in profit and loss… When you ask people for money in exchange for something you do, you’re going to get more honest feedback than ever before. - T.K. Coleman

Let me add a bit of balance to my post by sharing this video... Michael Sandel: The Moral Limits of Markets. Let me add a bit more balance by sharing this paper by Uri Gneezy... When and Why Incentives (Don't) Work to Modify Behavior.

Ok, so I'm generally not a big fan of public displays of affection (PDA). Could crowdfunding posts be considered PDA? Or is it more like public displays of gratitude (PDG)? Or maybe public displays of nurturing (PDN)? What percentage of the posts on your Facebook feed would you be truly willing to nurture with your money? Would you be willing to monetarily nurture a post about your bff's engagement? Her wedding? Her first baby? Her promotion? Her divorce?

My guess is that once people were more honest with each other then there would be some serious social reshuffling. Superficial friendships would be replaced with substantial friendships. What's your guess?

That's it.

I'm calling it.

You're a Ferengi behind a keyboard. I know your game, Quark.
Lib-left. Antifascist, antitankie, anti-capitalist, anti-imperialist (including the imperialism of non-western countries). Christian (Unitarian Universalist). Background in physics.
Mostly a girl. She or they pronouns, please. Unrepentant transbian.
Reject tradition, embrace modernity.
People who call themselves based NEVER are.
The truth about kids transitioning.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General