NATION

PASSWORD

Passenger Dragged off United Airlines Flight In Chicago

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:14 pm

Proctopeo wrote:I just want to point out that he could be considered trespassing.

If someone's on your property, and they're no longer allowed to be on it, and they won't get off of it, what do you do?

Simple: call the police and hope they don't do something over-the-top. A tazing might have made more sense than the (reported) hitting-his-head-against-a-thing, especially if he was becoming a danger, but the general concept of "get law enforcement to remove him from the location" makes sense. At least to me.

Except that no it couldn't.
Trespassing requires that the man be there unlawfully, he wasn't.

SchoolHouse Rock
Secretary

Founded: Oct 10, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby SchoolHouse Rock » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:15 pm

Proctopeo wrote:I just want to point out that he could be considered trespassing.

If someone's on your property, and they're no longer allowed to be on it, and they won't get off of it, what do you do?

Simple: call the police and hope they don't do something over-the-top. A tazing might have made more sense than the (reported) hitting-his-head-against-a-thing, especially if he was becoming a danger, but the general concept of "get law enforcement to remove him from the location" makes sense. At least to me.

Maybe you're right, but walking onto someone's property and paying to be on that property are two separate things here. Would it be right to throw out a homeowner who's paying their mortgage on time? Is it wrong to throw out the customer who paid to use that airline seat?

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 23, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:57 pm

Gravlen wrote:
The Alma Mater wrote:
Otoh, Ethel Mermania is correct: every airline overbooks. And 800 + board + next flight is already far more compensation than e.g. EU laws require in this situation- I imagine US laws being similar.

Compensation varies by how long the passenger will be delayed. If the airline can rebook the passenger and get him to his destination within an hour of his originally scheduled arrival time, no compensation is required.

If the passenger will arrive between one and two hours later than planned — or between one and four hours for an international flight — the airline must pay the passenger twice the amount of the one-way fare to his destination, up to $675.

If the passenger will be delayed more than two hours — or four hours for international flights — the airline must pay him four times the one-way fare, up to $1,350.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/lifestyles/travel/ct-airlines-often-oversell-flights-bump-passengers-20170410-story.html

So basically it is likely that they offered him 550 less than the amount he was actually legally entitled to ?
Anyone know the price of the ticket ?
Last edited by The Alma Mater on Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
- Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 15, 2014
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:04 pm

SchoolHouse Rock wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:
I like this approach.

I feel like that's to saying that if you were invited over to someone's house, or you asked to come over and they said yes, that they have the right to throw you out through the closed window at any point.

Sure it's a privilege to fly on an airline, but is it ethical for any company to use violence to solve an issue?

I would say the police used ethical violence here.

If a police officer tells you to leave and you do not, then they may use violence (in my view) to compel your departure.

SchoolHouse Rock
Secretary

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby SchoolHouse Rock » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:46 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:
SchoolHouse Rock wrote:
I feel like that's to saying that if you were invited over to someone's house, or you asked to come over and they said yes, that they have the right to throw you out through the closed window at any point.

Sure it's a privilege to fly on an airline, but is it ethical for any company to use violence to solve an issue?

If a police officer tells you to leave and you do not, then they may use violence (in my view) to compel your departure.

But at what level does the violence become too much? I mean, the guy was bleeding profusely.
Last edited by SchoolHouse Rock on Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Napkiraly
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Napkiraly » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:48 pm

I honestly want to know why this is even a concern. People get kicked off of planes for all kinds of reasons, overbooking being one.

SchoolHouse Rock
Secretary

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby SchoolHouse Rock » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:48 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:
SchoolHouse Rock wrote:

And is violence ever really ethical? Even if the law permits it?

Napkiraly
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Napkiraly » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:49 pm

SchoolHouse Rock wrote:

Maybe you're right, but walking onto someone's property and paying to be on that property are two separate things here. Would it be right to throw out a homeowner who's paying their mortgage on time? Is it wrong to throw out the customer who paid to use that airline seat?

What do you suggest they do with an overbooked flight? Have people stand?

SchoolHouse Rock
Secretary

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby SchoolHouse Rock » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:49 pm

Napkiraly wrote:I honestly want to know why this is even a concern. People get kicked off of planes for all kinds of reasons, overbooking being one.

They used extreme force though, and he was shown to be hurt and bleeding. That's why people are upset.

SchoolHouse Rock
Secretary

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby SchoolHouse Rock » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:50 pm

Napkiraly wrote:
SchoolHouse Rock wrote:

What do you suggest they do with an overbooked flight? Have people stand?

Or not overbook. That's an option.

Napkiraly
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Napkiraly » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:52 pm

SchoolHouse Rock wrote:
Napkiraly wrote:I honestly want to know why this is even a concern. People get kicked off of planes for all kinds of reasons, overbooking being one.

They used extreme force though, and he was shown to be hurt and bleeding. That's why people are upset.

Maybe he should have complied?

Napkiraly
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Napkiraly » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:52 pm

SchoolHouse Rock wrote:
Napkiraly wrote:What do you suggest they do with an overbooked flight? Have people stand?

It happens all the time. Empty seats cost money, safer to go over a bit and deal with it later.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:56 pm

SchoolHouse Rock wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:

I think so?

Notbotswana
Attaché

Founded: Feb 04, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Notbotswana » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:56 pm

Ah ... the airlines. Where their time and money is worth more than yours!

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 23, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:58 pm

Napkiraly wrote:
SchoolHouse Rock wrote:

It happens all the time. Empty seats cost money, safer to go over a bit and deal with it later.

Why not simply keep the money from no-shows ?
Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
- Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

SchoolHouse Rock
Secretary

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby SchoolHouse Rock » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:02 pm

Napkiraly wrote:
SchoolHouse Rock wrote:

Maybe he should have complied?

Maybe that wasn't the only way they could have dealt with the situation?

SchoolHouse Rock
Secretary

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby SchoolHouse Rock » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:03 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:
SchoolHouse Rock wrote:

I think so?

Interesting. May I know why you think that? I'm not saying you're wrong, I just wanted to know why you think that.
Last edited by SchoolHouse Rock on Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aethrys
Minister

Founded: Apr 14, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Aethrys » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:03 pm

Looks pretty bad from what I've seen. I what happened to the passenger doesn't seem right, but on the plus side I imagine he's going to walk away from this in the end much wealthier than he started it. Which doesn't really make the situation right, but still.
"Concentration of power in a political machine is bad; and an Established Church is only a political machine; it was invented for that; it is nursed, cradled, preserved for that; it is an enemy to human liberty, and does no good which it could not better do in a split-up and scattered condition." - Mark Twain

Napkiraly
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Napkiraly » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:07 pm

SchoolHouse Rock wrote:
Napkiraly wrote:Maybe he should have complied?

Probably, but time costs money and other issues for both airlines and airports. It would have been easier all around if he had joined his wife.

Napkiraly
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Napkiraly » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:09 pm

SchoolHouse Rock wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:
I think so?

Interesting. May I know why you think that? I'm not saying you're wrong, I just wanted to know why you think that.

If a person comes in threatening my family, how is it unethical for me to defend them with violence?

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:10 pm

SchoolHouse Rock wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:
I think so?

Interesting. May I know why you think that? I'm not saying your wrong, I just wanted to know why you think that.

We hope that people are honourable (and will obey the law and the principles behind the laws)... however, at the end of the day honour and trust is not enough to keep the peace entirely. Violence (or at least the threat of) from the state is a necessary pre-condition for lasting order.

SchoolHouse Rock
Secretary

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby SchoolHouse Rock » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:14 pm

Napkiraly wrote:
SchoolHouse Rock wrote:

Probably, but time costs money and other issues for both airlines and airports. It would have been easier all around if he had joined his wife.

Saying what the guy could've done doesn't help. What should be done is more of concern at least to me. And I think airlines should rethink their overbooking strategies. More so in the case that this doesn't happen again.

SchoolHouse Rock
Secretary

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby SchoolHouse Rock » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:17 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:
SchoolHouse Rock wrote:
Interesting. May I know why you think that? I'm not saying your wrong, I just wanted to know why you think that.

We hope that people are honourable (and will obey the law and the principles behind the laws)... however, at the end of the day honour and trust is not enough to keep the peace entirely. Violence (or at least the threat of) from the state is a necessary pre-condition for lasting order.

Thank you for explaining. I have a different opinion, but I can see where your perceptive is coming from and think you have a good argument.

Napkiraly
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Napkiraly » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:17 pm

SchoolHouse Rock wrote:
Napkiraly wrote:Probably, but time costs money and other issues for both airlines and airports. It would have been easier all around if he had joined his wife.

Saying what the guy could've done doesn't help. What should be done is more of concern at least to me.

Except this is the same thing? The guy should have complied, collected his money, and spent the night in a paid hotel watching Adult Swim and raiding the minibar in the fridge.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:19 pm

Napkiraly wrote:
SchoolHouse Rock wrote:
Saying what the guy could've done doesn't help. What should be done is more of concern at least to me.

Except this is the same thing? The guy should have complied, collected his money, and spent the night in a paid hotel watching Adult Swim and raiding the minibar in the fridge.

I'd have taken the money, spent it on RP to buy a bunch of League skins and some beer... moved into a nearby hotel, and then gamed away until the next flight.

What was the next flight?

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General