NATION

PASSWORD

Right Wing Discussion Thread IX: The Right Man's Burden

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Was the Reformation a good thing?

1 - Yes.
52%
2 - Neutral.
26%
3 - No.
23%

Total votes : 293

-Jochistan-
Envoy

Founded: Oct 23, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby -Jochistan- » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:55 pm

The Parkus Empire wrote:
The Eternal Aulus wrote:Well, once a religion gets big it becomes, from my perspective, more of a taboo to criticize it. Hence.

And I think kicking down holy houses is fundamental to progress.

"Progress" generally means the movement towards Brave New World.

>Conservatives using the work of a Neo Vedantist Progressive to attack Religious Progressives
Lol

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Founded: Sep 12, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:56 pm

-Jochistan- wrote:
Luminesa wrote:You have to actually make a coherent case for me to get on it. All you’re really doing is just ranting, “Christians are meaaaaaaaaaaaaan people and I’m enlightened so you should listen to me!” That’s not an argument.

Well that's not what I'm fucking saying.

I'm saying that Traditionalist Christians are elitist and sectarian. Focusing on the Catholic and Orthodox Churches in particular.

I never extended it to all Christians. I never even directed it at you. So you can stop being insanely defensive for no reason.

What you mean is we aren't open to modernism in our faith. Which is true. Although calling traditionalism "elitist" is not necessarily apt.
American Orthodox: one, holy, catholic, and apostolic church.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist
♂Copy and paste this in your sig if you passed biology and know men and women aren't the same.♀

Sanctissima
Powerbroker

Founded: Jul 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Sanctissima » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:56 pm

The Parkus Empire wrote:
Sanctissima wrote:
That's doesn't really take precedence over the Creed, of which:

"[...] And in one Lord Jesus Christ, the only-begotten Son of God, begotten of the Father before all worlds (æons), Light of Light, very God of very God, begotten, not made, being of one substance with the Father [...]"

and

"[...] who for us men, and for our salvation, came down from heaven, and was incarnate by the Holy Ghost and of the Virgin Mary, and was made man [...]"

seem to be at odds with the idea that God is not an entity or being.

Ousia is understood in the way used by the fathers who were the basis of the creed, and those who wrote about it soon thereafter its adoption.

Homoousianism was more of a clever wordplay that allowed Nicene Christians to present their side as pliable and willing to compromise whilst simultaneously painting the Arians as dogmatic and unwilling to compromise during the Council of Nicaea, as opposed to being a genuine theological concept. Regardless though, even if we accept Ousia at face value, it is part and parcel with the Trinity, that asserts that all three aspects of God are, at the very least, true entities (with the Holy Spirit's form being debatable but at the very least it is considered an entity in a metaphysical context). If all three aspects of God are entities, how can God himself be considered anything other than an entity?

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 09, 2014
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Luminesa » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:57 pm

-Jochistan- wrote:
Luminesa wrote:You have to actually make a coherent case for me to get on it. All you’re really doing is just ranting, “Christians are meaaaaaaaaaaaaan people and I’m enlightened so you should listen to me!” That’s not an argument.

I'm saying that Traditionalist Christians are elitist and sectarian. Focusing on the Catholic and Orthodox Churches in particular.

I never extended it to all Christians. I never even directed it at you. So you can stop being insanely defensive for no reason.

And I happen to be a Catholic. But yeah, that’s basically what you’re saying. “Christians are meaaaaaan and I learned the truth about them except I haven’t said a single thing that’s of any substance to incriminate them.” I’m not being defensive, you’re the one getting angry. You’re cussing me out. Might want to back-up and actually write an argument before you keep going.
Catholic, pro-life, and proud of it. I prefer my debates on religion, politics, and sports with some coffee and a little Aquinas and G.K. CHESTERTON here and there. :3
Unofficial #1 fan of the Who Dat Nation.
"I'm just a singer of simple songs, I'm not a real political man. I watch CNN, but I'm not sure I can tell you the difference in Iraq and Iran. But I know Jesus, and I talk to God, and I remember this from when I was young:
faith, hope and love are some good things He gave us...
and the greatest is love."
-Alan Jackson
Help the Ukrainian people, here's some sources!
Help bring home First Nation girls! Now with more ways to help!
Jesus loves all of His children in Eastern Europe - pray for peace.
Pray for Ukraine, Wear Sunflowers In Your Hair

-Jochistan-
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby -Jochistan- » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:57 pm

Although to be fair, liberals really have pretty much thoroughly bastardized the notion of social progress.

The Eternal Aulus
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 10, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby The Eternal Aulus » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:57 pm

-Jochistan- wrote:

The point is that all people are inherently dominate and subjugate others according to their own norms of what freedom and liberty is. Even if said person does not agree with it.

Everything is a lie Jochy. Everything is. Wubba dubba dub dub. Brb kms.
Muslim
Islamist
And, behold, with every hardship comes ease: - Quran 94:5
RWDT's favorite Dutchman. A middle school teacher in philosophy and religion.
RIP Joch 12/11/2017 - DoS - 2young2bdeleted

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:58 pm

-Jochistan- wrote:
The Parkus Empire wrote:"Progress" generally means the movement towards Brave New World.

>Conservatives using the work of a Neo Vedantist Progressive to attack Religious Progressives
Lol

I use his term because it is readily familiar to people.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist
♂Copy and paste this in your sig if you passed biology and know men and women aren't the same.♀

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Postby Luminesa » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:58 pm

-Jochistan- wrote:
The Parkus Empire wrote:"Progress" generally means the movement towards Brave New World.

Lol

> Using terms like “Neo-Vedantist” which most people don’t know or understand.
> Accuse Catholics and Orthodox of being “elitist”.

Okay. Sure.
Catholic, pro-life, and proud of it. I prefer my debates on religion, politics, and sports with some coffee and a little Aquinas and G.K. CHESTERTON here and there. :3
"I'm just a singer of simple songs, I'm not a real political man. I watch CNN, but I'm not sure I can tell you the difference in Iraq and Iran. But I know Jesus, and I talk to God, and I remember this from when I was young:
-Alan Jackson

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Postby Luminesa » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:59 pm

The Eternal Aulus wrote:
-Jochistan- wrote:Well that's not what I'm fucking saying.

The point is that all people are inherently dominate and subjugate others according to their own norms of what freedom and liberty is. Even if said person does not agree with it.

INCLUDING THE CAKE.

DO YOU LIKE CAKE?! TOO BAD. IT’S A LIE!!!

*Pies you but with cake.*
-Alan Jackson

-Jochistan-
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby -Jochistan- » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:02 pm

The Parkus Empire wrote:

What you mean is we aren't open to modernism in our faith. Which is true. Although calling traditionalism "elitist" is not necessarily apt.

The view that modernism in itself is bad is understandable. I myself subscribed to that point of view. And still believe that modernism has brought with it harmful qualities and modernity as a whole is awful.

But distancing oneself from it so much that you start wanting to actually go back in time to the idealized vision of Medieval Europe is a bit much.

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:02 pm

Sanctissima wrote:
The Parkus Empire wrote:
Ousia is understood in the way used by the fathers who were the basis of the creed, and those who wrote about it soon thereafter its adoption.

Homoousianism was more of a clever wordplay that allowed Nicene Christians to present their side as pliable and willing to compromise whilst simultaneously painting the Arians as dogmatic and unwilling to compromise during the Council of Nicaea, as opposed to being a genuine theological concept. Regardless though, even if we accept Ousia at face value, it is part and parcel with the Trinity, that asserts that all three aspects of God are, at the very least, true entities (with the Holy Spirit's form being debatable but at the very least it is considered an entity in a metaphysical context). If all three aspects of God are entities, how can God himself be considered anything other than an entity?

Homousian means "same entity" or "same being".

The term by the fathers who were the basis of the Creed, and those who came shortly after, was understood purely as a placeholder. God is ineffable they said, so ironically we cannot say God "is" because "is" is a human concept. "Is" is therefore an analogy, like "hand of God" or "wrath of God". Very important and in a sense true, but not technically definate.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist

-Jochistan-
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby -Jochistan- » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:04 pm

Luminesa wrote:
-Jochistan- wrote:>Conservatives using the work of a Neo Vedantist Progressive to attack Religious Progressives
Lol

> Using terms like “Neo-Vedantist” which most people don’t know or understand.

Okay. Sure.

...youre calling me elitist because I named a religious sect?

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Postby Luminesa » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:05 pm

-Jochistan- wrote:
Luminesa wrote:> Using terms like “Neo-Vedantist” which most people don’t know or understand.

Okay. Sure.

...youre calling me elitist because I named a religious sect?

I’m saying that the term indicates “elitist” behavior because it’s not a term that most people readily know, and you don’t seem too willing to explain it, using it as a green-text as though it should be somewhat common information.
-Alan Jackson

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:05 pm

-Jochistan- wrote:
The Parkus Empire wrote:

The view that modernism in itself is bad is understandable. I myself subscribed to that point of view. And still believe that modernism has brought with it harmful qualities and modernity as a whole is awful.

But distancing oneself from it so much that you start wanting to actually go back in time to the idealized vision of Medieval Europe is a bit much.

I think many aspects of modernism are ill, but others are great. Nonetheless it needs to stay out of my faith.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist

Taihei Tengoku
Senator

Founded: Dec 15, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Taihei Tengoku » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:05 pm

The Parkus Empire wrote:
Taihei Tengoku wrote:It is almost like a process of discovery

Not at all. Inciting desire is not " discovering". And, in fact, the reduction of desire is what is philosophically good, not devoting massive effort to incite and create it.

yes you are right, iconoclasm now
REST IN POWER
Franberry - HMS Barham - North Point - Questers - Tyrandis - Rosbaningrad - Sharfghotten
UNJUSTLY DELETED
OUR DAY WILL COME

-Jochistan-
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby -Jochistan- » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:06 pm

The Eternal Aulus wrote:

Goggle Boogchin : DDD

Sanctissima
Powerbroker

Founded: Jul 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Sanctissima » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:09 pm

The Parkus Empire wrote:
Sanctissima wrote:

Homousian means "same entity" or "same being".

The term by the fathers who were the basis of the Creed, and those who came shortly after, was understood purely as a placeholder. God is ineffable they said, so ironically we cannot say God "is" because "is" is a human concept. "Is" is therefore an analogy, like "hand of God" or "wrath of God". Very important and in a sense true, but not technically definate.

In the sense of being an almighty omnipotent being that more or less simultaneously is and is not the universe, sure. That's still an entity, since it is the sum of its parts, and both the Father, Son and Holy Spirit are all entities, hence God must also be so.

-Jochistan-
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby -Jochistan- » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:12 pm

The Parkus Empire wrote:
-Jochistan- wrote:The view that modernism in itself is bad is understandable. I myself subscribed to that point of view. And still believe that modernism has brought with it harmful qualities and modernity as a whole is awful.

I think many aspects of modernism are ill, but others are great. Nonetheless it needs to stay out of my faith.

In terms of mysticism, rites and sacred art sure it should stay out.

I don't see why social views such as the views on women, homosexuals, and religious systems outside the church shouldn't be subjected to modernism to prevent abuses.

Plenty of Christians already have made steps in this direction in those areas. In virtually every major denomination.

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:15 pm

-Jochistan- wrote:

It's not elitist to care about Christian truth.
Traditionalist Catholic, Constitutional Monarchist, Habsburg Nostalgic, Distributist, Disillusioned Millennial.

"In any case we clearly see....That some opportune remedy must be found quickly for the misery and wretchedness pressing so unjustly on the majority of the working class...it has come to pass that working men have been surrendered, isolated and helpless, to the hardheartedness of employers and the greed of unchecked competition." -Pope Leo XIII, Rerum Novarum

-Jochistan-
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby -Jochistan- » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:15 pm

Luminesa wrote:
-Jochistan- wrote:...youre calling me elitist because I named a religious sect?

I’m saying that the term indicates “elitist” behavior because it’s not a term that most people readily know, and you don’t seem too willing to explain it, using it as a green-text as though it should be somewhat common information.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neo-Vedanta

Here, it explains it. Sorry for cursing.

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:15 pm

Taihei Tengoku wrote:
The Parkus Empire wrote:Not at all. Inciting desire is not " discovering". And, in fact, the reduction of desire is what is philosophically good, not devoting massive effort to incite and create it.

yes you are right, iconoclasm now

Icons are not painted to please man, but to please God.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:17 pm

-Jochistan- wrote:
The Parkus Empire wrote:I think many aspects of modernism are ill, but others are great. Nonetheless it needs to stay out of my faith.

In terms of mysticism, rites and sacred art sure it should stay out.

I don't see why social views such as the views on women, homosexuals, and religious systems outside the church shouldn't be subjected to modernism to prevent abuses.

Plenty of Christians already have made steps in this direction in those areas. In virtually every major denomination.

I am not so concerned about secular same sex marriage if that sort of thing is what you mean. Though we shouldn't chide other countries for not having it.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist

-Jochistan-
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby -Jochistan- » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:18 pm

The Parkus Empire wrote:
-Jochistan- wrote:In terms of mysticism, rites and sacred art sure it should stay out.

I am not so concerned about secular same sex marriage if that sort of thing is what you mean. Though we shouldn't chide other countries for not having it.

Well that's good. Not necessarily asking for the acts to be accepted as non sinful even.

Just that homosexuals and trans people aren't viewed as bad people that need to be suppressed in some way.
Last edited by -Jochistan- on Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

United Muscovite Nations
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Feb 01, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby United Muscovite Nations » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:35 pm

-Jochistan- wrote:

I seem to recall you pretty directly insulting her with words that shouldn't be repeated on the Abrahamic skype chat.
Grumpy Grandpa of the LWDT and RWDT
Kantian with panentheist and Christian beliefs. Rawlsian Socialist. Just completed studies in History and International Relations. Asexual with sex-revulsion.
The world is grey, the mountains old, the forges fire is ashen cold. No harp is wrung, no hammer falls, the darkness dwells in Durin's halls...
Formerly United Marxist Nations, Dec 02, 2011- Feb 01, 2017. +33,837 posts
Borderline Personality Disorder, currently in treatment. I apologize if I blow up at you. TG me for info, can't discuss publicly because the mods support stigma on mental illness.

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Postby Luminesa » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:40 pm

United Muscovite Nations wrote:

I seem to recall you pretty directly insulting her with words that shouldn't be repeated on the Abrahamic skype chat.

Not really part of the convo itself, but thank you. My concern was more with the lack of self-awareness regarding his complaints against Catholicism and Orthodoxy.
-Alan Jackson

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General