NATION

PASSWORD

Harvard Scientists May Bring Immortality

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Tyrassueb
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 25, 2011
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Harvard Scientists May Bring Immortality

Postby Tyrassueb » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:18 am

Scientists Can Reverse DNA Aging in Mice

After several years of research, Harvard scientists announce that using a chemical known as NAD+ reversed the aging process in lab mice.

Dr. David Sinclair, from Harvard Medical School, and his colleagues reveal their new findings in the latest issue of Science. They focused on an intriguing compound with anti-aging properties called NAD+, short for nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide. It's been known that younger mice had more of it than older mice and back in 2013, the researchers found that when they boosted the NAD+ levels in older mice, they looked, biologically, like much younger animals.

In the latest paper, the scientists revealed new details on how NAD+ works to keep cells young. Sinclair put drops of NAD+ into the water of a group of mice, and within a couple of hours, their NAD+ levels started to rise. Within the first week, the scientists saw obvious age reversal in muscle and improvements in DNA repair. “We can’t tell the difference between the tissues from an old mouse that is two years old versus a young mouse that is three to four months old," Sinclair says.

Immortality appears to be mere years away if the human research pans out.

What social effects can we see come about from an effectively immortal population? Political effects? Religious? Do you think that governments could enforce population controls akin to what China has done to prevent a population explosion?
Last edited by Tyrassueb on Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:01 am, edited 3 times in total.
Justice Berniecrat

If the Colonel cooked chicken as well as Bernie does politics, he'd have been a General.

Gim
Post Czar

Founded: Jul 29, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Gim » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:20 am

Tyrassueb wrote:Scientists Can Reverse DNA Aging in Mice

That's a good news for the posterity, not for this generation. :(
All You Need to Know about Gim
Male, 17, Protestant Christian, British

Tyrassueb
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 25, 2011
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Tyrassueb » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:22 am

Gim wrote:

If you read the article, they are already prepping for human trials using a very similar compound. The studies they did on mice went as thus.

In the latest paper, the scientists revealed new details on how NAD+ works to keep cells young. Sinclair put drops of NAD+ into the water of a group of mice, and within a couple of hours, their NAD+ levels started to rise. Within the first week, the scientists saw obvious age reversal in muscle and improvements in DNA repair. “We can’t tell the difference between the tissues from an old mouse that is two years old versus a young mouse that is three to four months old," Sinclair says.
Last edited by Tyrassueb on Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
Justice Berniecrat

If the Colonel cooked chicken as well as Bernie does politics, he'd have been a General.

Donut section

Founded:

Postby Donut section » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:40 am

Please tell me it gives prescient visions as well.

+1 for naming it spice melange

I guess we're going to need the bene tlelaxu to harvest replacement organs for us though.
Last edited by Donut section on Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Costa Fierro
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Fierro » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:42 am

So it's going to be Benjamin Button but with the added benefits of not being able to sue for being turned into a pre-pubescent child.
"Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist." - George Carlin

Gim
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Gim » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:43 am

Tyrassueb wrote:
Gim wrote:

If you read the article, they are already prepping for human trials using a very similar compound. The studies they did on mice went as thus.

That's nice. I hope I get to participate in the trial, so that I can become immortal, or, at least, live a long-lasting life.

Gurori
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 24, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Gurori » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:48 am

That is wonderful! I can't wait for biological immortality to become a thing!

We're one step closer to basically becoming gods!
Gurori is currently being refurbished, please excuse any inconsistencies in the meantime.
Puppet master of Neo Gurori.

This nation will never reflect my actual views.
Also, NS Stats are absolutely non-canon.

Gim
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Gim » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:49 am

Gurori wrote:That is wonderful! I can't wait for biological immortality to become a thing!

Well, we might be able to live long, but we might not eliminate the pain of living, if you know what I mean.

Torsiedelle
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 03, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Torsiedelle » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:51 am

Gim wrote:
Gurori wrote:That is wonderful! I can't wait for biological immortality to become a thing!

Well, we might be able to live long, but we might not eliminate the pain of living, if you know what I mean.

Better for me; I'd much prefer to live forever, and then take myself out whenever I eventually think "Eh, fuck this shit."

That's just my preference, though. I sure ain't gonna let mother nature get that kill.
Rostavykhan is my Second Nation.
⋘EXCELSIOR⋙
To Cool For School

Gim
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Gim » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:52 am

Torsiedelle wrote:
Gim wrote:

Better for me; I'd much prefer to live forever, and then take myself out whenever I eventually think "Eh, fuck this shit."

That's just my preference, though. I sure ain't gonna let mother nature get that kill.

That's bold of you. Maybe I should live more boldly. I have more fear than you think. :(

Gurori
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Gurori » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:54 am

Torsiedelle wrote:
Gim wrote:

You think different, I like you.
Gurori is currently being refurbished, please excuse any inconsistencies in the meantime.

Torsiedelle
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Torsiedelle » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:55 am

Gim wrote:
Torsiedelle wrote:

That's bold of you. Maybe I should live more boldly. I have more fear than you think. :(

Oi...I'm not the boldest person either.

I just think living like that would be preferable to me.
⋘EXCELSIOR⋙
To Cool For School

Super Sol Republic
Spokesperson

Founded: Jan 29, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Super Sol Republic » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:57 am

Ehh, Captalism will just ruin it anyway, they will sell bottles of this for 300 bucks a piece I betcha
Opportunities don't happen. You create them. -- Chris Grosser

It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. -- Charles Darwin

Gim
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Gim » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:59 am

Torsiedelle wrote:
Gim wrote:

Oi...I'm not the boldest person either.

I just think living like that would be preferable to me.

Nice.

Gurori
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Gurori » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:00 am

Super Sol Republic wrote:

Ehh, Captalism will just ruin it anyway, they will sell bottles of this for 300 bucks a piece I betcha

Communists will be literally immortal.

Torsiedelle
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Torsiedelle » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:02 am

Super Sol Republic wrote:

$300 a bang? I'd be all over that shit. They can take my left nut for that shit. I won't have to worry about it, I'd have eternity to get a new one afterwards!
⋘EXCELSIOR⋙
To Cool For School

Gim
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Gim » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:02 am

Gurori wrote:
Super Sol Republic wrote: Ehh, Captalism will just ruin it anyway, they will sell bottles of this for 300 bucks a piece I betcha

:?
I'm starting to get scared. What if a massive, indestructible revolution occurs?

Oerstland
Secretary

Founded: Dec 23, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Oerstland » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:02 am

Ooooh, that's pretty cool. Maybe in the future (decades from now, maybe) us 90's people will live to become several centuries old, so we can constantly nag our grand-grand-grand-grand (and so on) grandchildren of the "good old early third millenia"? :p
Kingdom of Oerstland (Kungadömet Östland)
Swedish 90's kid, brony, pro-social democracy. Patriotic, if making a nation on NS inspired by Sweden counts as that.
I do not neccessarily agree with everything Oerstland stands for. Just a large part of it.
I really don't engage in the WA alot, other than the joke proposals thread. Still, if you feel the need to call out my WA gal for some reason, his name would be Linus Steinstedt.

DO NOT USE NS STATS - THEY ARE MORE USELESS THAN A PENCIL IN A DESERT
My other currently active nation is Starwind, and links to Oerstland's IIwiki pages will be provided at a later date (soon-ish).
Also, yes, I realize the analogy in red above was a horrible one.

Torsiedelle
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Torsiedelle » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:03 am

Gim wrote:
Gurori wrote:

I'm starting to get scared. What if a massive, indestructible revolution occurs?

Helicopters are immortal too. *nods*
⋘EXCELSIOR⋙
To Cool For School

Gim
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Gim » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:03 am

Torsiedelle wrote:
Gim wrote:

However, we can actually control that. An immortal revolution isn't something we can control.

Torsiedelle
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Torsiedelle » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:04 am

Gim wrote:
Torsiedelle wrote:

However, we can actually control that. An immortal revolution isn't something we can control.

But we can.

With helicopter rides.
⋘EXCELSIOR⋙
To Cool For School

Gim
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Gim » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:05 am

Torsiedelle wrote:
Gim wrote:

But we can.

With helicopter rides.

However, they won't die, and they will continue to revolt.

Anywhere Else But Here
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 05, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Anywhere Else But Here » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:05 am

Gim wrote:

Those smug little immortal bastards, right?

Gim
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Gim » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:06 am

Anywhere Else But Here wrote:
Gim wrote:

Those smug little immortal bastards, right?

Yep. Bad, immortal kids. 8)

Monte Cristo
Lobbyist

Founded: Nov 26, 2016
Corporate Bordello

Postby Monte Cristo » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:13 am

If perfected, this needs to be tightly controlled. We can't have everyone living forever. The infrastructure just isn't there to support it. Also, they can stop DNA aging and breaking down, but there's no cure for an aging mind.

However, that said, this could have great implications for future medicine, especially in things like fitness and well being.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General