NATION

PASSWORD

Russian Anti-Corruption Protests "Biggest Since 2012"

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Shofercia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 22, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Shofercia » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:00 am

Gim wrote:
Shofercia wrote:Probably will in 2024.

Hopefully. :hug:

It's more of a matter whether or not Putin cares more about the Russian Constitution or about his power. He can no longer be the president and/or head of United Russia, or other major political party, after the 2024 elections. Constitutionally speaking. The case with Medvedev was allowed, because there was still Crisis in the Caucasus. Putin inherited the Caucasus from a drunkard president. Right now, most of Russia's problems are the result of his leadership, as are the numerous benefits, so Putin cannot play the drunkard Yeltsin card again.

Gim wrote:
Shofercia wrote:
2. Are you seriously telling me that Russia has the capability to influence the US elections to such a degree that Russia can turn the US into a one party state for four years? Seriously? That's your argument?

No, you're wrong. You seriously think Mother Russia can't have political influence on America? You serious? Really? :p

Just for the laughs.

There's a fine line between having political influence and turning the US into a one party state. Of course Russia has political influence. Russia can stop America from bombing Russia's allies. But considering that Russian influence in the US was unable to get the US to recognize Crimea, I doubt that electing Trump was a possibility. Even a remote one.
Come, learn about Russian Culture! Bring Vodka and Ushanka. Interested in Slavic Culture? Fill this out.
Stonk Power! (North) Kosovo is (a de facto part of) Serbia and Crimea is (a de facto part of) Russia
I used pronouns until the mods made using wrong pronouns warnable, so I use names instead; if you see malice there, that's entirely on you, and if pronouns are no longer warnable, I'll go back to using them

Gim
Post Czar

Founded: Jul 29, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Gim » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:03 am

Shofercia wrote:
There's a fine line between having political influence and turning the US into a one party state. Of course Russia has political influence. Russia can stop America from bombing Russia's allies. But considering that Russian influence in the US was unable to get the US to recognize Crimea, I doubt that electing Trump was a possibility. Even a remote one.

Do you think the American government is outright accusing Trump using the Russian government, since it cannot blame the problem upon its citizens? I mean, virtually all of the white, blue-collar Americans voted for him, regardless of whether the act was overt or covert.
All You Need to Know about Gim
Male, 17, Protestant Christian, British

New haven america
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby New haven america » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:07 am

Shofercia wrote:
New haven america wrote:2.But they did do it, all 17 US security agencies agree Russia did it, hell, they've even found the specific phishing emails that got into the DNC's and RNC's databases (Which doesn't actually surprise me, our government and things relating to our government are kinda terrible when it comes to cybersecurity).
3. Well, that's good, but that won't be much help, considering: A) Republicans still control the government, and B) Most average Americans don't actually understand how the EC works (The most common misperception is that whoever wins the most states is the winner, which is false). So what we really need to do is educate the American public on this matter, and why it doesn't work... yeah... Freezing Hell over (Not Hell, Sweden, which is an actual place BTW) would be an easier task then teaching the American public.
4. Trump supporters work in mysterious ways.

2. Are you seriously telling me that Russia has the capability to influence the US elections to such a degree that Russia can turn the US into a one party state for four years? Seriously? That's your argument?

3. Most Americans might not understand how it works, even though those of us who are younger than 40 have shows that explain it rather easily, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90RajY2nrgk but most Americans are against it: http://www.theblaze.com/news/2016/12/19 ... elections/

The McClatchy-Marist poll revealed that 52 percent of registered voters think that the popular vote should be the deciding factor in future elections, and 45 percent think the Electoral College should remain in place. Three percent of those polled were unsure.

http://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/ ... llege-poll

4. A good thing to say when argument is lacking.

2. Well, they did influence the voter base by leaking info about the DNC, so apparently they do have that kind of power. (Also, all 17 security agencies, especially the FBI and CIA have proof that Russia hacked into the DNC and RNC and released DNC info, so yeah...)
4. Since apparently the majority of American's are against the EC, would it really surprise you if a few Trump supporters were in that group?
Human of the male variety
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Gim
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Gim » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:09 am

New haven america wrote:
Shofercia wrote:

3. Most Americans might not understand how it works, even though those of us who are younger than 40 have shows that explain it rather easily, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90RajY2nrgk but most Americans are against it: http://www.theblaze.com/news/2016/12/19 ... elections/

2. Well, they did influence the voter base by leaking info about the DNC, so apparently they do have that kind of power. (Also, all 17 security agencies, especially the FBI and CIA have proof that Russia hacked into the DNC and RNC and released DNC info, so yeah...)
4. Since apparently the majority of American's are against the EC, would it really surprise you if a few Trump supporters were in that group?

What does DNC stand for again?

New haven america
Post Czar

Postby New haven america » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:09 am

Gim wrote:
Shofercia wrote:

Do you think the American government is outright accusing Trump using the Russian government, since it cannot blame the problem upon its citizens? I mean, virtually all of the white, blue-collar Americans voted for him, regardless of whether the act was overt or covert.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNa2B5zHfbQ

The most incriminating part starts at 20 sec.
Last edited by New haven america on Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

New haven america
Post Czar

Postby New haven america » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:10 am

Gim wrote:
New haven america wrote:2. Well, they did influence the voter base by leaking info about the DNC, so apparently they do have that kind of power. (Also, all 17 security agencies, especially the FBI and CIA have proof that Russia hacked into the DNC and RNC and released DNC info, so yeah...)

What does DNC stand for again?

DNC=Democratic National Committee
RNC=Republican National Committee

They're the organizations who run the Democratic and Republican parties.
Last edited by New haven america on Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Gim
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Gim » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:11 am

New haven america wrote:
Gim wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNa2B5zHfbQ

Why would he encourage the Russian government to hack his fellow politician, hoping for a compromise of the American Cybernetwork?

New haven america
Post Czar

Postby New haven america » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:16 am

Gim wrote:

Why would he encourage the Russian government to hack his fellow politician, hoping for a compromise of the American Cybernetwork?

Because he likes Russia and Putin.

He has singlehandedly turned the GOP from anti- to pro-Russia in only 12 months. (Granted, there might have been some undercurrent, but if there was, they were very quiet about it)
Last edited by New haven america on Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Gauthier
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:37 am

New haven america wrote:
Gim wrote:

He has singlehandedly turned the GOP from anti- to pro-Russia in only 12 months. (Granted, there might have been some undercurrent, but if there was, they were very quiet about it)

Even before Trump ran for office the Republicans had a Putin fetish, especially in regards to how they could trash talk Obama with it.
Crimes committed by Muslims will be a pan-Islamic plot and proof of Islam's inherent evil. On the other hand crimes committed by non-Muslims will merely be the acts of loners who do not represent their belief system at all.
The probability of one's participation in homosexual acts is directly proportional to one's public disdain and disgust for homosexuals.
If a political figure makes an accusation of wrongdoing without evidence, odds are probable that the accuser or an associate thereof has in fact committed the very same act, possibly to a worse degree.
Where is your God-Emperor now?

Gim
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Gim » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:38 am

Gauthier wrote:
New haven america wrote:Because he likes Russia and Putin.

Even before Trump ran for office the Republicans had a Putin fetish, especially in regards to how they could trash talk Obama with it.

What's wrong with him? :lol: Why's he like this?

New haven america
Post Czar

Postby New haven america » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:41 am

Gim wrote:
Gauthier wrote:Even before Trump ran for office the Republicans had a Putin fetish, especially in regards to how they could trash talk Obama with it.

Putin, Trump, or Obama?
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Gim
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Gim » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:24 am

New haven america wrote:
Gim wrote:

Putin, Trump, or Obama?

Putin and Trump.

New haven america
Post Czar

Postby New haven america » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:34 am

Gim wrote:
New haven america wrote:Putin, Trump, or Obama?

Putin and Trump.

Well... Putin's basically a dictator, so anything that helps him or Russia (Like having a US President who wants to lift the sanctions or wants to work with Russia) is something he likes. Also he was raised during the Cold War, so even though the US hasn't actually done anything to Russia (Other than putting sanctions on Russia in 2014), he still views America as Russia's enemy (Even though we're miles more developed than Russia is).

Trump on the other hand, is a narcissistic idiot.
Last edited by New haven america on Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:39 am, edited 3 times in total.
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Gim
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Gim » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:35 am

New haven america wrote:
Gim wrote:
Putin and Trump.

Well... Putin's basically a dictator, so anything that helps him or Russia (Like having a US President who wants to life the sanctions or working with Russia) is something he likes.

Yeah, I thought so.

MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Dec 05, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:58 am

Shofercia wrote:My prediction: this thread will outlast the protests :lol2:

This is a fair guess.

Minoa
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 05, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Minoa » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:19 am

The crackdown on the protests are completely terrible, and so is the state of corruption in the country. I may be critical of the so-called establishment, but I don't see that as an excuse to try and please Putin.
Mme A. d'Oiseau, B.A. (State of Minoa)

Novus America
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:00 am

New haven america wrote:
Gim wrote:

Well it was not the "American cyber networks" that was attacked. Sounds way to dramatic and like it was our government networks being attacked. It was a private organization being phished.

Also like does not come into it. Trump thought he could use Russia and Putin to his advantage.
He just used Putin as a tool.

And the though some in the GOP look on Putin positively as he his a right wing nationalist, the GOP is hardly United on the manner, and Trump and Russia have already had a falling out.
Last edited by Novus America on Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Zombie Ike/Teddy Roosevelt 2020.

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.
Think something like prewar Fallout, minus the bad stuff.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

Imperium Sidhicum
Senator

Founded: May 28, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Imperium Sidhicum » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:06 am

No big deal. The rabble will go out shouting in the streets for a few days, a couple hundred will be given a good beating by OMON and arrested, the few most outspoken of them will get jail sentences or a stay in the looney bin, the media will blame the whole affair on Western subversives, and things will go on as usual.
Freedom doesn't mean being able to do as one please, but rather not to do as one doesn't please.

A fool sees religion as the truth. A smart man sees religion as a lie. A ruler sees religion as a useful tool.

The more God in one's mouth, the less in one's heart.

Shofercia
Post Czar

Postby Shofercia » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:23 am

Gim wrote:
Shofercia wrote:

Nah, it's just those with ties to the DNC, and the butthurt warhawks, like McCain.

New haven america wrote:
Shofercia wrote:

2. Proof of Russia's alleged hacking isn't proof of influencing the election. Once again, if the Dems didn't lose the blue collar white working class vote, they'd win the election, hack or no hack. I'm not denying that Russian Hackers can hack the United States. I am simply pointing out that Russia cannot influence American Elections to a degree that would actually make a difference, much like America cannot influence Russian Elections to a degree that would actually make a difference, anymore.

4. Maybe the ones with the very low IQ who cannot fathom logic. Don't forget, that Trump supporters think he's the best post Cold War President, so if the EC is what keeps him in power, and it is, then they'll support the EC like mad.
Come, learn about Russian Culture! Bring Vodka and Ushanka. Interested in Slavic Culture? Fill this out.
Stonk Power! (North) Kosovo is (a de facto part of) Serbia and Crimea is (a de facto part of) Russia
I used pronouns until the mods made using wrong pronouns warnable, so I use names instead; if you see malice there, that's entirely on you, and if pronouns are no longer warnable, I'll go back to using them

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:25 am

Imperium Sidhicum wrote:No big deal. The rabble will go out shouting in the streets for a few days, a couple hundred will be given a good beating by OMON and arrested, the few most outspoken of them will get jail sentences or a stay in the looney bin, the media will blame the whole affair on Western subversives, and things will go on as usual.

Exactly.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

Shofercia
Post Czar

Postby Shofercia » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:27 am

Gim wrote:

Because the DNC and the RNC truly hate each other. They only get together to preserve the two-party monopoly, while turning the electoral process into a zero sum game.

New haven america wrote:
Gim wrote:

Like Obama's reset, or Obama's nuke comment? Because of the extremely foolish challenge by the Bush Administration of Russia in Georgia, Obama had to be soft on Russia. Because of the extremely foolish challenge by the Obama Administration of Russia in Ukraine, Trump has to be soft on Russia. It's almost as if challenging Russia in the former SSRs, outside of the Baltics, is really fucking dumb. It's almost as if people should follow Jack Matlock's advice, someone who's an actual expert on Russia.

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:39 am

Shofercia wrote:
Gim wrote:

Because the DNC and the RNC truly hate each other. They only get together to preserve the two-party monopoly, while turning the electoral process into a zero sum game.

New haven america wrote:Because he likes Russia and Putin.

Like Obama's reset, or Obama's nuke comment? Because of the extremely foolish challenge by the Bush Administration of Russia in Georgia, Obama had to be soft on Russia. Because of the extremely foolish challenge by the Obama Administration of Russia in Ukraine, Trump has to be soft on Russia. It's almost as if challenging Russia in the former SSRs, outside of the Baltics, is really fucking dumb. It's almost as if people should follow Jack Matlock's advice, someone who's an actual expert on Russia.

Nobody has to go soft on Russia. And Trump in office has been much less soft than Obama intially was. The US does not need Russia. Sure we are not willing to pay the cost of actually stopping Russian in say Crimea, we most certainly can make Russia pay a cost for it.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Shofercia
Post Czar

Postby Shofercia » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:39 am

New haven america wrote:
Gim wrote:
Putin and Trump.

Well... Putin's basically a dictator, so anything that helps him or Russia (Like having a US President who wants to lift the sanctions or wants to work with Russia) is something he likes. Also he was raised during the Cold War, so even though the US hasn't actually done anything to Russia (Other than putting sanctions on Russia in 2014), he still views America as Russia's enemy (Even though we're miles more developed than Russia is).

The United States hasn't done anything to Russia? Oh really?

- Reelection of Yeltsin in 1996 by independent American Advisers, despite massive election fraud it was officially recognized by the United States
- US funded NGOs interfering with the First and Second Chechen War
- US helped stage three Color Revolutions, bringing Russophobic Governments to power
- US bombed Serbia, despite explicit warning from Russia that it was going to be the straw that breaks the camel's back; that almost led to WWIII
- US attempted to mess with Russia's nuclear research, while Russia was in anarchy in the 1990s
- US armed Georgia to create chaos in what was Russia's most volatile region at the time
- US partially funded and diplomatically supported bringing an incredibly Russophobic Government to power in Ukraine

Whether that was intentional or not, whether that was official Government Policy or not, is another question. But there's certainly been a fuck ton of issues. I'm just bringing up the major ones.

Minoa wrote:The crackdown on the protests are completely terrible, and so is the state of corruption in the country. I may be critical of the so-called establishment, but I don't see that as an excuse to try and please Putin.

How many people are still in jail? Just wondering, since you're calling this "completely terrible" if you know what's going on.

MERIZoC wrote:
Shofercia wrote:My prediction: this thread will outlast the protests :lol2:

This is a fair guess.

Just need for it to go another 24 hours :p

Shofercia
Post Czar

Postby Shofercia » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:44 am

Novus America wrote:
Shofercia wrote:

Nobody has to go soft on Russia. And Trump in office has been much less soft than Obama intially was. The US does not need Russia. Sure we are not willing to pay the cost of actually stopping Russian in say Crimea, we most certainly can make Russia pay a cost for it.

If people like you represented the majority of Americans, I would cheer the American effort against Russia in Crimea, because the end result would be utter humiliation for the US. Thankfully, you don't represent the majority, and my advice is to stop challenging Russia on the issue of Crimea; only humiliation awaits on that front. If the Demographic and Economic data on Ukraine and Crimea doesn't tell you the story, nothing will.

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:52 am

Shofercia wrote:
Novus America wrote:

If people like you represented the majority of Americans, I would cheer the American effort against Russia in Crimea, because the end result would be utter humiliation for the US. Thankfully, you don't represent the majority, and my advice is to stop challenging Russia on the issue of Crimea; only humiliation awaits on that front. If the Demographic and Economic data on Ukraine and Crimea doesn't tell you the story, nothing will.

The majority of Americans think negatively of Russia you know.
https://poll.qu.edu/national/release-de ... aseID=2422
So I do represent the majority on this.

Oh Really? How?
The status quo is fine for us, just strengthen the sanctions.
I know you have these dreams Ukraine is going to join Russia or something but they are silly.

And yes, look at the economic and demographic data. The places in Ukraine doing best economically and demographically are in the WEST.

The Ukrainian ecnomy is growing, albeit slowly, driven by argiculture from the west.
It grew in 2.2% in 2016 which is faster than Russia BTW.

The places in Ukraine with the highest birthrates are in the west.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demogra ... 2011ua.PNG

As time goes on support for Russia in Ukraine will continue to drop, and economic and political power will continue to shift west.

Sure you got Crimea, and you will keep it. And you got some ruins in the Donbass.
But you lost the rest of Ukraine as a result. Russia actually sped up the process considerably by removing the most pro Russian areas.

Russian actions in Ukraine were an act of desperation. To keep what they could before they lost the entire thing.

Not a horrible outcome for us at all.
Last edited by Novus America on Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:27 am, edited 4 times in total.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General