NATION

PASSWORD

The NationStates Feminist Thread III

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jun 14, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Ostroeuropa » Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:05 pm

Thanatttynia wrote:What?

I thought I was being fairly clear.

As indicated by ‘weight and scale’, there would need to be a lot of evidence. As such, evidence of misandry in any specific area would not be enough to override the evidence of misogyny I have seen and experienced in society generally. It’s simply outside the purview of what we’re doing here. It’s not reasonable for either of us to expect to change the other’s minds when we’re both clearly deadset on our own perspective of this issue; I guess we will have to agree to disagree here.

I have plenty of evidence and can cover it. How about the duluth model of domestic violence pushed by feminism historically and in many ways presently, and the fact male victims of domestic violence are more likely to be arrested than perpetrators as a result of it? I am more than happy for my view to be changed if you manage to actually outline misogyny as more prevalent and devestating than misandry, but you'll have your work cut out. An admission from you that you are unwilling to change is disheartening though.

The justice system discriminates more against men than it does against minorities. Black women are compared to the whole population, privileged by the justice system by virtue of being women. That's another example.

How about the fact racism does not impact womens social mobility, but does impact mens? That's a pretty damning one too.

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=438538&hilit=galloism+mobility

Why don't you try covering some of the things you think are misogyny in the modern day so we can compare?

Again, I’m not sure that many studies in one aspect of society are evidence of widespread social prejudice. They are evidence of widespread discrimination in education, which has long been a female profession, as for a long time teaching was one of the only professions available to women.

Education impacts life prospects massively. Men are also the majority of prisoners and the homeless and are mistreated by the justice system at every stage of the process. That is related to education too.

‘Female teachers driving male students to suicide’ is a bold claim to make.

It's what the evidence points to.

Even if we take such a claim as true, it doesn’t undermine the feminist view on sexism. A typical feminist would most likely see something like that as an example of gender roles harming people (boys are expected to succeed more than girls, but modern education is suited more to girls as it disavows traditionally masculine things we condition boys to like such as violence and punishment and practical education in favour of traditionally feminine things we condition girls to like such as listening and reading and theoretical education.) Such an explanation makes more sense to me than the idea that women teachers are conniving to drive male students to suicide because women are inherently sexist.

Why do you attribute womens sexism to them in such a way that you think they're conscious of it? Unconscious bias is a thing. No conniving necessary. The feminist view is nonsensical here, as men do not act the same way toward the students. It is far more supportive of female chauvinism as an explanation, especially in conjunction with studies on womens bias, and studies showing that teachers punish boys more for the same behavior than they do for girls. The contempt for men and boys is the problem, not stereotypes.

It's also suggestive that girls don't appear to lose out in this dynamic, which suggests "patriarchal norms" aren't a sufficient explanation, as if patriarchal values drove female teachers behaviors, you'd expect girls to be treated as incapable and so on. You are assuming there is only one type of sexism in all places and times, a fundamental conceit of feminist theory.

Contempt for men and boys exists, so does female chauvinism, it is measurable empirically rather than reliant on just dogmatic assertions about how sexism works as i've shown.

My point is that those interests do more to serve the interests of specific men than they serve the interests of specific women. This is because we live in a patriarchal society in which it is easier for men to succeed than it is for women. They do not serve ‘men’s interests’ generally for the exact same reason: because ‘men’s interests’ are already served by society without the need for lobbying groups to push society towards serving them. ‘Men’s interests’ are already served by society because society has always been controlled by men prior to the last few years.

Mens interests are not served by society, and there is no basis to make this claim beyond just-so assertions. Mens issues are not dealt with, their interests are not represented, and so on. Find me actual proof for this idea of yours, because i've done you the favor of digging up actual studies to prove your ideas are nonsense and not supported by evidence, and all you can do in return is quote feminist scripture at me, because ultimately, there is no evidence for it. By the way, show me how men are benefited by the system, don't just waffle about things women had to put up with and imply as feminists so often do that women facing issues somehow benefits men and is proof society was built to benefit men. Men had to put up with a lot too.

Feminism is an internally consistent system of thought, but it does not accurately describe reality, and as soon as you gain the nerve to critically examine its claims, it falls apart.

Lobbying is a notoriously secretive industry, so I don’t know where I’d go to find out that sort of information. But corporations were understandably unhappy about things like the Equal Pay Act. Men were paid more than women were for the same work. This benefited men over women.

Why not find me an example of legislation that has been passed to benefit men at womens expense in recent history?
Women have better work-life balance than men and men are penalized even more than women are for taking things like flex-time, parental leave, and so on. Women having more choices and more freedom to make those choices is not benefiting men over women. It's comparable to anti-semitism forcing Jews into certain professions and then acting like that dynamic "benefits jews over non-jews" because those professions are lucrative, and that the dynamic is evidence of discrimination against non-jews and society being built to benefit jews, when the source of the problem is anti-semitism.
So it goes for misandry causing this problem. It's evidence of discrimination against men, not the reverse, if you bother to actually look into it beyond the superficial level many feminists have portrayed the problem as.

The wage gap being misogyny is a misframing of the issue because of feminisms general flawed view.

Presenting the interests of capital as the same thing as the interests of men is duplicitous and insincere imo. Merely because sometimes the womens lobbies are overruled in the interest of corporate profit does not mean corporate profit is the same thing as mens interests, especially in the context of women being the majority of shareholders in the modern economy and so on.

In general, people represent their own interests and the interests of those like them. Although people aren’t entirely self-interested, it’s a good summation of human nature. Groups made up mostly of one type of person will therefore represent the interests of that type of person over the interests of other types of people. This is why many feminists view representation as important.

This is an assertion that goes against the evidence I've presented and is asserted dogmatically.

This is just straight-up sexism lol. The misogynist’s idea that men and women represent women’s interests is disproved by history, which has shown that thousands of years of male-dominated structures resulted in a situation in which sexism was rampant, women were subjugated to men and were not afforded the same rights and protections as men were.

You claimed it isn't sexism to claim women are smarter than men if its true. I've presented evidence why what I said is true, and you're calling it misogyny because feminism as a worldview is anti-reality where recognizing that reality is a threat to female privilege, the vilification of men, and so on.

It is not disproved by history. You are merely asserting history was such a way when I've explained to you the problem with that view and the evidence against it.

If this is the case, why have thousands of years of male-dominated societies not resulted in a completely egalitarian world? Clearly there is a disconnect between the results of these psychological studies and the actual historical reality we are living in.

You are now ignoring scientific evidence in favor of clinging to scriptures dogmatic assertions and description of history. The world isn't 6000 years old, and feminisms conception of history is likewise full of shit.

Merely because men don't push for their own interests doesn't mean they automatically push for equality, they skew slightly in favor of women, and "Natural" held a lot of sway for a long time. Divisions of roles and so on does not mean oppression necessarily of one group against another.

Why don't you try explaining the evidence in front of you.

It’s really not. How men interact in men-only spaces is only relevant when talking about men-only spaces i.e. not society, which is a mixed space and always has been. You will note that men enforce norms in mixed spaces. Women enforcing them on each other is indicative of the way that some women throughout history have been complicit in the perpetuation of a patriarchal system.

Men enforce norms in mixed spaces because women are there enforcing norms. Men interacting in men only spaces is important to understanding their mentalities, and especially relevant to your arguments about male governance and male only spaces and institutions and how they behave.

It's also a good example of how the feminist movement has meant more sexism in society, with its closing down of male spaces and colonization of male spaces, thereby leading to less areas where sexism isn't enforced.

Lol! I know from personal experience the rampant misogyny within MRA communities and their ilk.

I see no evidence he's an MRA. While fathers rights has overlap, not all fathers rights activists are MRAs.

These collectives were not democratic systems, therefore they were used by the people at the top to further the interests of the people at the top. The people at the top were men, therefore they were used to further the interests of the men at the top. What’s hard to understand about that? The reason men were used in wars is probably because men are more biologically suited to combat, being in general physically stronger than women. Women had other roles in these collectives. You will note that it wasn’t hordes of upper-class men who were sent off to die in wars - it was lower-class men. This proves that these collectives didn’t represent the interests of lower-class people; it doesn’t disprove that these collectives represented the interests of men.

There's no evidence beyond asserting it is just so that they represented mens collective interests, and there's actual scientific evidence against it. Like i said, you're not really much better than creationists on these issues.

It’s an assertion based on historical evidence. Please provide an example of women being equal to men in any Western society at any time prior to the present day.

They weren't equal. But that's different to mens interests being represented which is the core of your claim and to feminisms conception of history. Men were disadvantaged by the arrangement in many respects. Compare feminism and its campaigning for women, and how there is every effort to ensure the policies they push for don't negatively impact women and the side effects are mitigated.

The fact is, historically, the states interests were served. Not mens. Mens interests and womens interests were not considered, and you have no evidence otherwise beyond asserting it.

Oppression is not a zero-sum game. What is intersectionality

It is possible to be both oppressed and an oppressor.

You are arguing society was built to benefit men at the expense of women and society is currently built to serve men and not women. It isn't a matter of zero-sum, it's a matter of showing that notion is nonsense and feminist conceptions of history are themselves built on sexism.

That’s a great example of how sexism has hurt men. I remind you that there was no punishment for male perpetrators of domestic violence historically except in extreme cases.

Right, but your problem, as well as feminisms problem in general (Some feminists present in this thread excepted), is gynocentrism.
Akin to Afrocentrism here;
A black man tells a Jew that Jews don't experience racism because they aren't seen as violent, stupid, and criminal.

You see the sexism there and think "That's patriarchy hurting men too."
But it isn't. It's a second and distinct form of sexism that feminism has actively made harder to combat, and is in fact making worse.

For example, the view of men as incapable of caring for children and being a danger to them is not something present in historical society, but is in ours. The collapse of mens participation in childcare and teaching is a relatively recent phenomanae, and can be attributed to feminisms influence on the issues of DV, rape, and so on.

It is not that women are viewed as childcarers and therefore patriarchy and misogyny causing this like feminists try to pretend, but an active antipathy and contempt for men. Women are viewed as capable workers these days, but the antipathy and contempt for men in childcare hasn't budged, because contrary to feminist ideology, these sexisms are seperate and distinct forms of sexism. This in itself radically undermines the feminist conception of history and the history of sexism too.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/2 ... ts-assume/

Find me a serious feminist who ignores the fact that women can perpetuate sexist norms.

For their own benefit at the expense of men as a collective, thereby making a mockery of the notion of history as men subjugating women?

Yes, it does. Any definition of success that we have would necessarily be alien to people who lived long ago. How about I rephrase that as ‘men were helped more by the patriarchal system than women were.’

Disagree. They were harmed by it considerably more than women were. The system by and large left men to bare the brunt of struggle and conflict, resulting in more victories but also more hardship. The feminist conception is ultimately conservative in outlook. It is akin to comparing an anarcho-capitalist society with a dozen or so people at the top and hordes of corpses on the bottom as "more free" and "Less oppressed" than a social democracy where the excesses of poverty and wealth are curbed in collective interest.

No, and that’s a wilful misrepresentation of an argument if I’ve ever seen one. Are you saying that such a situation was the norm, that men have always secretly been controlled by women?

I'm saying that both types of sexism were present and vital to upholding the system, that the women who did so acted that way for their own interests, and that this form of chauvinism and contempt for men has not been confronted by our society, and feminists routinely look at it then rationalize why it's sourced in mens behavior and patriarchy instead of womens, because of their in-group bias. It's like blaming anti-semitism on hatred of black people, then saying "So we need to end segregation and that'll solve it."

Constantly, for decades and decades, without a hint of self-awareness. The insistence on gynocentrism and framing womens experience of sexism as descriptive or applicable to the whole and something that should drive our efforts to combat it and so on. Within the context of also shutting down and vilifyign anyone who challenges this approach.

What am I projecting? Society was built for men. That you can’t see that is a projection of your limited worldview on to history.

No, it wasn't, and you're merely asserting as such in spite of evidence. I've provided evidence, you're just quoting scripture. Try some actual evidence.
In what sense was society built for men? Examples, please.
Last edited by Ostroeuropa on Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Ostro.MOV

There is an out of control trolley speeding towards Jeremy Bentham, who is tied to the track. You can pull the lever to cause the trolley to switch tracks, but on the other track is Immanuel Kant. Bentham is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Critique of Pure Reason. Kant is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Principles of Moral Legislation. Both men are shouting at you that they have recently started to reconsider their ethical stances.

Costa Fierro
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Fierro » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:18 pm

West Leas Oros 2 wrote:Not sure if I’m in the right place, but those of you who know me probably are aware of my old story about my past of white man hatred, and I’d like to ask what can be done to combat such things so that no one else has to be misled into an ideology of vengeance and hatred.

Changing perspectives mainly.
"Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist." - George Carlin

Thanatttynia
Senator

Founded: Nov 10, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Thanatttynia » Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:54 pm

Ostroeuropa wrote:
Thanatttynia wrote:What?

I thought I was being fairly clear.

Maybe I’m being dense, then, but I don’t know what you’re implying. I wasn’t suggesting that you wanted to murder women just because you disagree with feminism.

As indicated by ‘weight and scale’, there would need to be a lot of evidence. As such, evidence of misandry in any specific area would not be enough to override the evidence of misogyny I have seen and experienced in society generally. It’s simply outside the purview of what we’re doing here. It’s not reasonable for either of us to expect to change the other’s minds when we’re both clearly deadset on our own perspective of this issue; I guess we will have to agree to disagree here.

I have plenty of evidence and can cover it. How about the duluth model of domestic violence pushed by feminism historically and in many ways presently, and the fact male victims of domestic violence are more likely to be arrested than perpetrators as a result of it? I am more than happy for my view to be changed if you manage to actually outline misogyny as more prevalent and devestating than misandry, but you'll have your work cut out. An admission from you that you are unwilling to change is disheartening though.

Misogyny and sexual discrimination against women:

EU-wide report finds lower overall participation of women in the labour market, higher take-up of parttime jobs by women relative to men, labour market participation of women with low educational attainment is only half the participation rate of low-qualified men; almost every fifth woman employee receives pay below the first quintile compared to every 12th man; inequalities in the labour markets in terms of participation,part-time work, gender segregation and higher risks of inactivity among women result in persistent gender gaps in earnings, income and risk of poverty, to the detriment of lone mothers in particular, in the light of the current shift towards more private pensions inequalities could widen further particularly as men are more likely to be financially capable of investing in private pensions owing to higher wages and less involvement and participation in childcare; women continue to shoulder the main responsibility for care for children (27 % of all women in the EU care daily for children), older people and people with disabilities (10 % of women); women spend more hours in paid and unpaid work which leaves them with less time for rest or leisure activities; women’s share of positions on the boards of national central banks is 19 %, women’s share of positions on corporate boards is 22%; men continue to dominate bodies of political power, holding on average more than two thirds of all parliamentary seats and government positions; low-educated and low-income people show the poorest levels of health, women more so than men

Gender pay gap of 9.1% in the UK (and related data)

81% of women, 43% of men have been sexually harassed

60% of American women, 20% of American men have been sexually harassed

In England and Wales, women more likely to have experienced domestic abuse than men (and related data)

(Paywall) ‘While the prevalence of situational [domestic] violence is fairly symmetrical, coercive controlling abuse is highly gendered, with women overwhelmingly the victims.

Americans say society places a higher premium on masculinity than on femininity (and related data)

Online, women make up 72% of harassment victims; chatroom participants with female usernames are sent threatening and/or sexually explicit private messages 25 times more often than those with male or ambiguous usernames

1 in 6 American women, 1 in 17 American men have been victims of stalking

76% of trafficked persons are women; 67% of persons convicted in trafficking offences are men

90% of victims of revenge porn are women

At least 9000 aggressively misogynistic tweets posted every day

Outside of studies and data, misogyny can be seen throughout our culture. Consider the proliferation of misogyny in media, or how much society hates the things teenage girls like, or how misogyny influences online cultural controversies such as gamergate.

The justice system discriminates more against men than it does against minorities. Black women are compared to the whole population, privileged by the justice system by virtue of being women. That's another example.

I don’t doubt that there is evidence of gender discrimination in the justice system against men, as there is evidence of it against women. It’s extremely troubling that men often make up ~90% of the prison population in any given country, and though some of this can be explained by men committing more crimes than women, and those crimes being more likely violent, I agree that there is something going seriously wrong here, and more work in this area needs to be done.

How about the fact racism does not impact womens social mobility, but does impact mens? That's a pretty damning one too.
https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=438538&hilit=galloism+mobility

I think there is a lot of truth to your claim in that thread that there has been no effort to tackle the intersection of misandry and racism. This is a very interesting study, thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Why don't you try covering some of the things you think are misogyny in the modern day so we can compare?

See above.

Again, I’m not sure that many studies in one aspect of society are evidence of widespread social prejudice. They are evidence of widespread discrimination in education, which has long been a female profession, as for a long time teaching was one of the only professions available to women.

Education impacts life prospects massively. Men are also the majority of prisoners and the homeless and are mistreated by the justice system at every stage of the process. That is related to education too.

We’re in agreement on these points, but I don’t see how you make the leap from ‘widespread misandry exists’ to ‘feminism is unnecessary as women are privileged over men.’

‘Female teachers driving male students to suicide’ is a bold claim to make.

I disagree; the evidence tells us that a) female teachers discriminate against male students, b) male students are aware of this discrimination, and c) educational prospects were determined to be the biggest factor in a study of suicides amongst young men. There are lots of reasons young men feel their educational prospects are poor, and I think to lay the blame for the suicide epidemic on women teachers is a reach.

Even if we take such a claim as true, it doesn’t undermine the feminist view on sexism. A typical feminist would most likely see something like that as an example of gender roles harming people (boys are expected to succeed more than girls, but modern education is suited more to girls as it disavows traditionally masculine things we condition boys to like such as violence and punishment and practical education in favour of traditionally feminine things we condition girls to like such as listening and reading and theoretical education.) Such an explanation makes more sense to me than the idea that women teachers are conniving to drive male students to suicide because women are inherently sexist.

Why do you attribute womens sexism to them in such a way that you think they're conscious of it? Unconscious bias is a thing. No conniving necessary.

I was wrong to frame your argument in that way, apologies.

The feminist view is nonsensical here, as men do not act the same way toward the students. It is far more supportive of female chauvinism as an explanation, especially in conjunction with studies on womens bias, and studies showing that teachers punish boys more for the same behavior than they do for girls. The contempt for men and boys is the problem, not stereotypes.

I would see contempt for men and boys as stemming from the stereotypes surrounding them. Men and boys are stereotyped as violent, aggressive and disruptive. This would explain why boys are punished more for the same behaviours than girls are, as teachers would be influenced by these stereotypes and would thus be more willing to punish disruptive behaviour from boys than they would be from girls, who are sterotyped as non-violent, passive and submissive.

There are also other explanations for the differences in that study between male and female teachers than female chauvinism. You will note that it found men mark boy’s work more favourably than they do girl’s work*; the difference is therefore in student’s perceptions, as the girls mistakenly believed that male teachers would mark their work more favourably than female teachers. This could then just be a case of teachers marking work by students of their own gender more favourably, perhaps because they can better understand the pressures of being whatever gender they are and unconsciously assuming that a more sensitive approach to marking is necessary with students of their own gender. I will admit that, because of the stark gender disparity in teaching, this is more of a problem for boys than girls, as teachers are much more likely to be women than men (this could go some way to explaining why boys feel their educational prospects are low.)

If you will allow me some anecdotal evidence here, I have my own theory, not backed by any data, as to why boys are more likely to be aware of implicit teacher biases based on gender than girls are. When I was in high school (not too long ago), I messed around in class a lot more in classes with women teachers than I did with men teachers, as my own personal experience was that I was much less likely to be disciplined, but conversely also felt much more comfortable, in classes with women teachers. The flipside of this was that I recieved better marks throughout the year from male teachers, who did not see me as being as disruptive as my female teachers probably did, and classroom behaviour probably plays a part in ‘objective’ teacher marking as teachers are human too. Obviously this is a singular experience, and I can’t extrapolate from that, but if other boys have had similar experiences, it could be that they are assuming male teachers treat them better than female teachers because of something like this dynamic.

* The article you linked to first states that ‘men treat all students the same, regardless of gender,’ and then goes on to state that the report shows ‘male teachers tend to reward male students more than female students.’ I looked up the report and it does state that ‘male teachers [were found to be] favouring male students.’

It's also suggestive that girls don't appear to lose out in this dynamic, which suggests "patriarchal norms" aren't a sufficient explanation, as if patriarchal values drove female teachers behaviors, you'd expect girls to be treated as incapable and so on. You are assuming there is only one type of sexism in all places and times, a fundamental conceit of feminist theory.

Accepting feminism does not preclude accepting evidence of sexism against men or misandry. All of these things fit just fine with feminist theory.

Contempt for men and boys exists, so does female chauvinism, it is measurable empirically rather than reliant on just dogmatic assertions about how sexism works as i've shown.

I agree, and the evidence you have presented is effective, but I also think that contempt for women and girls, and male chauvinism, exist too. My position is that these things, owing to the millennia of oppression of women, are, from a large-scale perspective, based purely on numbers, more harmful, although individually all discrimination and prejudice is equally as bad.

My point is that those interests do more to serve the interests of specific men than they serve the interests of specific women. This is because we live in a patriarchal society in which it is easier for men to succeed than it is for women. They do not serve ‘men’s interests’ generally for the exact same reason: because ‘men’s interests’ are already served by society without the need for lobbying groups to push society towards serving them. ‘Men’s interests’ are already served by society because society has always been controlled by men prior to the last few years.

Mens interests are not served by society, and there is no basis to make this claim beyond just-so assertions. Mens issues are not dealt with, their interests are not represented, and so on. Find me actual proof for this idea of yours, because i've done you the favor of digging up actual studies to prove your ideas are nonsense and not supported by evidence, and all you can do in return is quote feminist scripture at me, because ultimately, there is no evidence for it. By the way, show me how men are benefited by the system, don't just waffle about things women had to put up with and imply as feminists so often do that women facing issues somehow benefits men and is proof society was built to benefit men. Men had to put up with a lot too.

Feminism is an internally consistent system of thought, but it does not accurately describe reality, and as soon as you gain the nerve to critically examine its claims, it falls apart.

It would probably help if we define what we mean by ‘men’s interests.’ ‘Women’s interests’ are easier to define, at least for me - they are things such as abortion, female reproductive health, rape of women, i.e. things which may not be relevant to every woman, but affect many and exclusively women. When you say ‘men’s interests,’ do you mean issues such as circumcision, child custody, rape of men?

If you do, I would posit that these things are less noticed by society not because of feminism precluding debate about them, but because they affect less men than ‘women’s interests’ issues affect women. Personally speaking, I know one person who I know to be circumcised (who doesn’t really care,) no one who wants custody of their children but doesn’t have it (and a few who don’t want custody and don’t have it,) and only a few people accused of some sort of sexual misconduct which they deny (none of whom I personally believe.) This is anecdotal evidence again, I grant you, but it’s one explanation for these types of ‘men’s interests’ issues not being as widely discussed as ‘women’s interests’ issues (I know plenty of women who have had abortions, who have been sexually assaulted/raped, who have primary custody of their children and want it.)

Other types of ‘men’s interests’ I see as already being served by society. Traditionally, working has been structured around being a man. There is an expectation by employers that employees won’t let their obligations to their family (which have traditionally been and remain in most cases women’s domain,) impact their working obligations. Men benefit from this as there is less societal expectation for them to put their family before their career than there is for women. ‘Male’ traits such as forthrightness, loyalty, emotional strength and stability, boldness, bravery, etc. are celebrated more by society than ‘female’ traits such as secretiveness, treachery, emotional weakness and instability, submissiveness, cowardice etc. Men benefit from this as these traits are more often held by men than they are by women.

Of course men had and have to to put up with a lot, no one is saying otherwise. The patriarchal system puts as much pressure on men to conform as it does on women, the roles each are expected to fill are just different. Feminism is about the equality of the sexes and genders. Tackling patriarchal norms helps women and men.

Lobbying is a notoriously secretive industry, so I don’t know where I’d go to find out that sort of information. But corporations were understandably unhappy about things like the Equal Pay Act. Men were paid more than women were for the same work. This benefited men over women.

Why not find me an example of legislation that has been passed to benefit men at womens expense in recent history?

Sexist legislation does not need to be continually passed for sexism to exist; sexist legislation does not even need to still be in force for sexism to exist. I couldn’t find you an example of that in the Western world, I wouldn’t think, as feminism has succeeded in replacing most sexist legislation already and preventing new sexist legislation from being passed. There are plenty of examples from the Global South, of course.

Women have better work-life balance than men and men are penalized even more than women are for taking things like flex-time, parental leave, and so on. Women having more choices and more freedom to make those choices is not benefiting men over women. It's comparable to anti-semitism forcing Jews into certain professions and then acting like that dynamic "benefits jews over non-jews" because those professions are lucrative, and that the dynamic is evidence of discrimination against non-jews and society being built to benefit jews, when the source of the problem is anti-semitism.

So it goes for misandry causing this problem. It's evidence of discrimination against men, not the reverse, if you bother to actually look into it beyond the superficial level many feminists have portrayed the problem as.

Both of these things (women being expected to privilege their family over their careers, and men being expected to privilege their careers over their family) are bad. I’m not saying that the patriarchal system we live in does not hurt men, it absolutely does. It’s disingenuous, however, to suggest that this is evidence of mass discrimination against men. The world works this way because over the development and subsequent regulation and standardisation of employment as we understand it today, women were excluded from the workforce and made to stay at home, whilst men could move in between these two realms. Because of this, the workplace was understood as a man’s domain and it was therefore necessarily less structured around women’s needs as they are opposed to men’s needs.

The reason it’s not like Jews being forced into certain professions is because it is women who were forced into certain professions. Men could stay at home and raise their family if they so wanted and were able to, but women couldn’t enter the vast majority of industries. In this analogy, it is women who are more like Jews, being as they were barred from most professions excepting a few such as teaching and nursing.

The wage gap being misogyny is a misframing of the issue because of feminisms general flawed view.

How so?

Presenting the interests of capital as the same thing as the interests of men is duplicitous and insincere imo. Merely because sometimes the womens lobbies are overruled in the interest of corporate profit does not mean corporate profit is the same thing as mens interests, especially in the context of women being the majority of shareholders in the modern economy and so on.

They are not the same thing, but there is significant overlap between the interests of capital and the interests of the people who own that capital, who are much more likely to be men than they are to be women. This could be another case of each of us misunderstanding what the other means by ‘men’s interests’, see above for that.

In general, people represent their own interests and the interests of those like them. Although people aren’t entirely self-interested, it’s a good summation of human nature. Groups made up mostly of one type of person will therefore represent the interests of that type of person over the interests of other types of people. This is why many feminists view representation as important.

This is an assertion that goes against the evidence I've presented and is asserted dogmatically.

Which parts of it specifically do you feel go against the evidence you’ve presented? I feel as though these specific studies are carrying a lot of weight in your argument here. Tangentially related, but the suggestion in one of the reports that harm against women is thought of as more important than harm against men by both women and men because of animal instinct within humans to protect women due to their setting the upper limit on reproduction is interesting and afaik it would chime with similar behaviour from other primates. This innate reaction would explain why women and men are more likely to see harm against women as dangerous. Funnily enough, it could also go some way to explaining the roots of patriarchy: not only are men in general physically stronger than women, but it is natural to see the protection of women as more important, leading to men protecting but simultaneously cloistering women, and thus coming to dominate them.

This is just straight-up sexism lol. The misogynist’s idea that men and women represent women’s interests is disproved by history, which has shown that thousands of years of male-dominated structures resulted in a situation in which sexism was rampant, women were subjugated to men and were not afforded the same rights and protections as men were.

You claimed it isn't sexism to claim women are smarter than men if its true. I've presented evidence why what I said is true, and you're calling it misogyny because feminism as a worldview is anti-reality where recognizing that reality is a threat to female privilege, the vilification of men, and so on.

It is not disproved by history. You are merely asserting history was such a way when I've explained to you the problem with that view and the evidence against it.

It is disproved by history. If both men and women represent ‘women’s interests,’ and no one is looking out for ‘men’s interests,’ how did we end up in the 19th Century with women being unable to own property, being in many cases essentially property themselves, being unable to vote, etc.? Such a situation is surely not conducive to women’s interests. And this wasn’t some sort of historical anomaly; the subjugation of women is a historical norm across many cultures and societies throughout the entire breadth of human history. Your evidence is anomalous here, not mine.

If this is the case, why have thousands of years of male-dominated societies not resulted in a completely egalitarian world? Clearly there is a disconnect between the results of these psychological studies and the actual historical reality we are living in.

You are now ignoring scientific evidence in favor of clinging to scriptures dogmatic assertions and description of history. The world isn't 6000 years old, and feminisms conception of history is likewise full of shit.

Merely because men don't push for their own interests doesn't mean they automatically push for equality, they skew slightly in favor of women, and "Natural" held a lot of sway for a long time. Divisions of roles and so on does not mean oppression necessarily of one group against another.

Why don't you try explaining the evidence in front of you.

I have taken into account what those two studies found, but I’m not going to blindly accept their findings just because they are scientific studies. I don’t see how what they present makes sense in the light of historical reality.

Division of roles does not have to mean oppression of one group by another, no, but if leadership roles are systematically denied to one group in favour of another, that does indicate oppression. Not all social roles are created equal. Whilst men were made to fight and serve their king in other ways, there was the opportunity in conflict and administration to distinguish yourself and thus be upwardly mobile, which was not afforded to women.

It’s really not. How men interact in men-only spaces is only relevant when talking about men-only spaces i.e. not society, which is a mixed space and always has been. You will note that men enforce norms in mixed spaces. Women enforcing them on each other is indicative of the way that some women throughout history have been complicit in the perpetuation of a patriarchal system.

Men enforce norms in mixed spaces because women are there enforcing norms.

Is this claim backed by a source?

Men interacting in men only spaces is important to understanding their mentalities, and especially relevant to your arguments about male governance and male only spaces and institutions and how they behave.

It's also a good example of how the feminist movement has meant more sexism in society, with its closing down of male spaces and colonization of male spaces, thereby leading to less areas where sexism isn't enforced.

So is your argument that women should be excluded from institutions because men are inherently less sexist than women, women in leadership roles discriminate against men, but men in leadership roles do not discriminate against women?

Lol! I know from personal experience the rampant misogyny within MRA communities and their ilk.

I see no evidence he's an MRA. While fathers rights has overlap, not all fathers rights activists are MRAs.

Suffice it to say that I have personally experienced rampant misogyny in these online subcultures. The distinctions between them might be clear to you, who is involved in at least some of them, but I should let you know that from the outside looking in they all seem to blend together into quite a disturbing mess, which unfortunately means that, without explicit disavowal and distancing, the legitimate strains of activists and advocates within these movements lose credibility with people uninvolved in these movements. This is just how people look at these movements, no villification campaign from feminists necessary.

These collectives were not democratic systems, therefore they were used by the people at the top to further the interests of the people at the top. The people at the top were men, therefore they were used to further the interests of the men at the top. What’s hard to understand about that? The reason men were used in wars is probably because men are more biologically suited to combat, being in general physically stronger than women. Women had other roles in these collectives. You will note that it wasn’t hordes of upper-class men who were sent off to die in wars - it was lower-class men. This proves that these collectives didn’t represent the interests of lower-class people; it doesn’t disprove that these collectives represented the interests of men.

There's no evidence beyond asserting it is just so that they represented mens collective interests, and there's actual scientific evidence against it. Like i said, you're not really much better than creationists on these issues.

See above about what we mean when each say ‘men’s interests.’ Your scientific evidence also doesn’t disprove that men represent ‘men’s interests.’

It’s an assertion based on historical evidence. Please provide an example of women being equal to men in any Western society at any time prior to the present day.

They weren't equal. But that's different to mens interests being represented which is the core of your claim and to feminisms conception of history.

Okay, so they weren’t equal. You’re moving the goalposts a bit here. You responded to my assertion that ‘women were routinely subjugated throughout history’ by saying that ‘womens rights have waxed and waned throughout history, at times being equal in many respects in some societies, at times not.’ That’s not really true. If we want to understand feminism, it’s important for us to understand that in Western societies prior to the time of feminism coming about, women have never been equal to men. Women have been oppressed on the basis of their sex/gender in ways that men weren’t.

Men were disadvantaged by the arrangement in many respects. Compare feminism and its campaigning for women, and how there is every effort to ensure the policies they push for don't negatively impact women and the side effects are mitigated.

I agree absolutely that men were disadvantaged by the arrangement in many respects. But the arrangement was made by the powerful men at the top of each of these patriarchal societies. The point I’m trying to make isn’t that men have had an easy time throughout history, it’s that neither men nor women have had an easy time throughout history. They were oppressed in different ways; when it came to their sex/gender, my consideration of the historical evidence has led me to believe that on the whole females/women were oppressed on a larger scale for a longer time and were more limited by that oppression than males/men were.

The fact is, historically, the states interests were served. Not mens. Mens interests and womens interests were not considered, and you have no evidence otherwise beyond asserting it.

See above on ‘men’s interests.’

Oppression is not a zero-sum game. What is intersectionality

It is possible to be both oppressed and an oppressor.

You are arguing society was built to benefit men at the expense of women and society is currently built to serve men and not women. It isn't a matter of zero-sum, it's a matter of showing that notion is nonsense and feminist conceptions of history are themselves built on sexism.

I am arguing that society was built more for men than it was for women, yes. I don’t agree that you’ve shown me that that notion is nonsense or that feminist conceptions of history are themselves built on sexism.

That’s a great example of how sexism has hurt men. I remind you that there was no punishment for male perpetrators of domestic violence historically except in extreme cases.

Right, but your problem, as well as feminisms problem in general (Some feminists present in this thread excepted), is gynocentrism.
Akin to Afrocentrism here;
A black man tells a Jew that Jews don't experience racism because they aren't seen as violent, stupid, and criminal.

You see the sexism there and think "That's patriarchy hurting men too."
But it isn't. It's a second and distinct form of sexism that feminism has actively made harder to combat, and is in fact making worse.

I feel like you’re incorrectly finding conflict where there shouldn’t be any conflict. Feminism doesn’t mean only accepting sexism as being directed towards women; it’s a movement towards tackling sexism that is called feminism because historically, as I outlined above, women were oppressed on a larger scale for a longer time and were more limited by that oppression than men, and because at the time of feminism’s conception, women were definitely more oppressed by men in Western societies.

For example, the view of men as incapable of caring for children and being a danger to them is not something present in historical society, but is in ours. The collapse of mens participation in childcare and teaching is a relatively recent phenomanae, and can be attributed to feminisms influence on the issues of DV, rape, and so on.

Those things might well have some bearing on this social attitude. It could just as convincingly be attributed to greater media reporting of pedophiles and violent sexual criminals who are more likely to be men than women, or to a continuation of the social attitude that expects men to provide for the family and women to care for the family.

I would also challenge the view that this is an entirely recent development. Child-rearing has always been seen as a more female than male role as far as I’m aware, partly because of biological reality: men can’t breastfeed babies, the maternal bond links children to mothers, men are naturally more aggressive than women. Where the home- and workplace for the father were separated, it can also be assumed that the mother took a much greater role than the father, well before the advent of feminism. These things go some way to explaining that view.

It is not that women are viewed as childcarers and therefore patriarchy and misogyny causing this like feminists try to pretend, but an active antipathy and contempt for men.

It can be both.

Women are viewed as capable workers these days,

Not in many cases.

but the antipathy and contempt for men in childcare hasn't budged, because contrary to feminist ideology, these sexisms are seperate and distinct forms of sexism. This in itself radically undermines the feminist conception of history and the history of sexism too.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/2 ... ts-assume/

I don’t agree with the conclusion you’ve reached here, sorry.

Find me a serious feminist who ignores the fact that women can perpetuate sexist norms.

For their own benefit at the expense of men as a collective, thereby making a mockery of the notion of history as men subjugating women?

Yes. Any serious feminist who ignores the fact that women can perpetuate sexist norms will suffice.

Yes, it does. Any definition of success that we have would necessarily be alien to people who lived long ago. How about I rephrase that as ‘men were helped more by the patriarchal system than women were.’

Disagree. They were harmed by it considerably more than women were. The system by and large left men to bare the brunt of struggle and conflict, resulting in more victories but also more hardship. The feminist conception is ultimately conservative in outlook. It is akin to comparing an anarcho-capitalist society with a dozen or so people at the top and hordes of corpses on the bottom as "more free" and "Less oppressed" than a social democracy where the excesses of poverty and wealth are curbed in collective interest.

The conception of struggle and conflict as both more important and more oppressive than the less violent theatres in which women were made to move is part of a conservative viewing of history. A progressive viewing of it would recognise that these things can’t really be compared but are equally as important as each other. Men and women were both oppressed by the patriarchal system, just in different ways.

No, and that’s a wilful misrepresentation of an argument if I’ve ever seen one. Are you saying that such a situation was the norm, that men have always secretly been controlled by women?

I'm saying that both types of sexism were present and vital to upholding the system, that the women who did so acted that way for their own interests, and that this form of chauvinism and contempt for men has not been confronted by our society, and feminists routinely look at it then rationalize why it's sourced in mens behavior and patriarchy instead of womens, because of their in-group bias. It's like blaming anti-semitism on hatred of black people, then saying "So we need to end segregation and that'll solve it."

Constantly, for decades and decades, without a hint of self-awareness. The insistence on gynocentrism and framing womens experience of sexism as descriptive or applicable to the whole and something that should drive our efforts to combat it and so on. Within the context of also shutting down and vilifyign anyone who challenges this approach.

As far as I’m concerned, your problem with feminism is not a problem with feminism, it’s with your perception of it. A conception of oppression against men throughout history as being rooted in women’s behaviour doesn’t make sense as it could not be acted on seeing as women did not hold power as they were not equal to men in any Western society ever. Can women have been prejudiced against men since the start of history? Sure, it’s possible. But for that prejudice to morph into meaningful oppression, it would require the existence of a matriarchy in which women were more powerful than men, rather than the actual historical reality of a patriarchy in which men were more powerful than women. This is the same reason that in the US or UK, black people can be racist towards/prejudiced against white people, but white people cannot be oppressed in these societies on the basis of the race. Oppression is impersonal and large-scale. For it to exist, the oppressed group needs to be largely absent from the power structures that the oppression is experienced through.

What am I projecting? Society was built for men. That you can’t see that is a projection of your limited worldview on to history.

No, it wasn't, and you're merely asserting as such in spite of evidence. I've provided evidence, you're just quoting scripture. Try some actual evidence. In what sense was society built for men? Examples, please.

See above. Apologies for the delay in replying.
Last edited by Thanatttynia on Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Syng I wolde, butt, alas! decendunt prospera grata.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:54 pm

Thanatttynia wrote:EU-wide report finds lower overall participation of women in the labour market, higher take-up of parttime jobs by women relative to men, labour market participation of women with low educational attainment is only half the participation rate of low-qualified men; almost every fifth woman employee receives pay below the first quintile compared to every 12th man; inequalities in the labour markets in terms of participation,part-time work, gender segregation and higher risks of inactivity among women result in persistent gender gaps in earnings, income and risk of poverty, to the detriment of lone mothers in particular, in the light of the current shift towards more private pensions inequalities could widen further particularly as men are more likely to be financially capable of investing in private pensions owing to higher wages and less involvement and participation in childcare; women continue to shoulder the main responsibility for care for children (27 % of all women in the EU care daily for children), older people and people with disabilities (10 % of women); women spend more hours in paid and unpaid work which leaves them with less time for rest or leisure activities; women’s share of positions on the boards of national central banks is 19 %, women’s share of positions on corporate boards is 22%; men continue to dominate bodies of political power, holding on average more than two thirds of all parliamentary seats and government positions; low-educated and low-income people show the poorest levels of health, women more so than men

It's worth noting most of these are actually sexism against men -

The wage gap is due to the social expectation that men must work til they're dead, while women generally have a choice to work full time or not. More women choose not to work or to work less because they have a choice where their husbands. This has effects on pensions.

Women having responsibility for childcare is an outgrowth of this - women get to choose whether or not to work full time, while men (generally) do not, so women, having more free time, generally take on more of the unpaid thing. In fact, in my country, feminism has fought to ensure the status quo of women getting more time with children doesn't go away - because that's what their constituency wants (men also generally want more childcare responsibilities, but society enforces them not to).

Regarding the hours per week, this is the first claim I've ever seen (literally ever) where men work fewer hours than women, even taking into account unpaid work. I'm attempting to track down the original source (as it just sites Eurofund, 2016, with no numbers or methodology behind it). In every study I've ever seen, men work more hours - even taking into account unpaid work. I'll get back to this one.

Gender pay gap is due to discrimination against men. This is proof of misandry, not misogyny.

Men just don't know when they've been sexually harassed. Seriously. Society tells them repeatedly that's not a problem they face, so they don't recognize it even when it slaps them in the face.

Seriously.

California assemblywoman Cristina Garcia, who is a vocal #MeToo movement leader, has been accused of urging her staffers to play 'spin the bottle' after a night of drinking at a political fundraiser.

One of her former staffers, David John Kernick, filed a formal complaint with the California Department of Fair Employment and Housing claiming that he was fired after questioning the game.

Kernick, who worked for Garcia for five months in 2014, told Politico that they played the game in a hotel room.

He said Garcia, a Los Angeles-area Democrat, sat on the floor of the room with about six others, including staff members and a male friend.

'It was definitely uncomfortable,' Kernick said.

'But I realized it's different for a man than for a woman... You know it's inappropriate, but at the same time you may wonder: 'How many women do you work for that act like that?' You think... 'Maybe she's just really cool'.

'It muddies the waters.'

Seriously. Men have to rationalize away being harassed by their boss because oh, "it must be they're cool".

This is even true among rape and sexual assault - men rationalize it away as a conquest over time, because society tells them that's what it must have been, and they are forced to bury their trauma because revealing it will only make society attack.

See above.

Similar to the above, but in the US we use behavioral questions, and find more men suffer domestic violence each year than women.

Still looking for a full text of this.

That's... not really what it says at all. It asks people how they think society looks up to masculine men/feminine women, then asks them whether it's good or bad. People are split on whether looking up to masculine men is good or bad:

Republicans who say society looks up to masculine men overwhelmingly say this is a good thing (78%). Democrats aren’t convinced: Among those who say society looks up to masculine men, almost identical shares say this is a good thing (49%) as say it is a bad thing (48%).

4 in 5 republicans say it's a good thing, about 1 in 2 democrats says it's a good thing and 1 in 2 say its' a BAD thing to look up to masculine men.

Among women:

While smaller shares of Americans say most people in our society look up to feminine women than say most people look up to masculine men, a solid majority of those who say society looks up to women who are feminine (83%) also say this is a good thing; just 15% say it’s a bad thing that society looks up to feminine women. Overall, 60% of those who say most people look up to masculine men see this as a good thing, while 37% say it is bad.

In fact, it's more broadly acceptable to look up to feminine women than it is to look up to masculine men. Masculinity is liked, but less than femininity is liked.

Again, men are less likely to classify harassment AS harassment, because society says this a problem they don't face. When you examine it in a more sterile way you get different results:

At the same time, there was little reaction to a report contradicting the narrative that male public figures get considerably less Twitter abuse than their female counterparts. While the study, conducted by the British think tank Demos, was limited to a fairly small sample of British celebrities, journalists and politicians whose Twitter timelines were tracked over a two-week period, its findings are nonetheless interesting. On the whole, 2.5 percent of the tweets sent to the men but fewer than 1 percent of those sent to women were classified as abusive. Male politicians fared especially badly, receiving more than six times as much abuse as female politicians.

The only category in which women got more Twitter abuse than men was journalism: abusive messages accounted for more than 5 percent of the tweets sent to the female journalists and TV presenters in the study and fewer than 2 percent of the ones sent to the male journalists. (However, the most abused male journalist in the sample, controversial ex-CNN host Piers Morgan, was counted as a “celebrity” rather than a journalist; otherwise, he would have single-handedly raised the proportion of abusive tweets to male journalists to almost 6 percent of the total.) While about three-quarters of the offenders were men, about 40 percent of the abusive tweets to women were sent by other women.

Stalking is defined by fear of the victim. Men are not allowed to show fear.

Still, there may be somethign to that one.

Not true - at least according to the US state department.

And, regarding women getting convicted less, this is part of a well known bias against men:

A new study by Sonja Starr, an assistant law professor at the University of Michigan, found that men are given much higher sentences than women convicted of the same crimes in federal court.

The study found that men receive sentences that are 63 percent higher, on average, than their female counterparts.

Starr also found that females arrested for a crime are also significantly more likely to avoid charges and convictions entirely, and twice as likely to avoid incarceration if convicted.

Other research has found evidence of the same gender gap, though Starr asserts that the disparity is actually larger than previously suspected because other studies haven’t looked at the role of plea bargains and other pre-sentencing steps in the criminal justice system.

Women who are engaging in human trafficking are less likely to be caught, less likely to be convicted IF caught, less likely to serve time, and if they DO serve time, are going to serve less of it.

That might be true, but it runs straight into the same issues as the harassment problem - men typically don't know they're victims even when it slaps them in the face.

How many aggressively misandristic tweets posted every day?

Outside of studies and data, misogyny can be seen throughout our culture. Consider the proliferation of misogyny in media, or how much society hates the things teenage girls like, or how misogyny influences online cultural controversies such as gamergate.

Whereas public widespread media outlets allow people to talk about why it's ok to be bigoted towards men as a gender, those who are supposed to be for equality side with those illegally discriminating based on gender and try to shame men using sexist stereotypes, and where it's literally argued on the floor of the senate that women should not be subject to the same citizenship penalty that men are.

I don’t doubt that there is evidence of gender discrimination in the justice system against men, as there is evidence of it against women. It’s extremely troubling that men often make up ~90% of the prison population in any given country, and though some of this can be explained by men committing more crimes than women, and those crimes being more likely violent, I agree that there is something going seriously wrong here, and more work in this area needs to be done.

Actually, very specifically. See above about the treatment of women and men in the justice system.

Here's a link to Prof Starr's paper, but AWS is doing maintenance right now, but should be back up in a bit.

I disagree; the evidence tells us that a) female teachers discriminate against male students, b) male students are aware of this discrimination, and c) educational prospects were determined to be the biggest factor in a study of suicides amongst young men.

I'm not sure about that last part, I haven't studied that part, but given how important education is to our overall lives - lifetime earnings, class category, and future inside or outside of prison, this by itself should be considered "widespread sexist discrimination" worthy of significant screaming.

In fact, there's no screaming.

The feminist view is nonsensical here, as men do not act the same way toward the students. It is far more supportive of female chauvinism as an explanation, especially in conjunction with studies on womens bias, and studies showing that teachers punish boys more for the same behavior than they do for girls. The contempt for men and boys is the problem, not stereotypes.

I would see contempt for men and boys as stemming from the stereotypes surrounding them. Men and boys are stereotyped as violent, aggressive and disruptive. This would explain why boys are punished more for the same behaviours than girls are, as teachers would be influenced by these stereotypes and would thus be more willing to punish disruptive behaviour from boys than they would be from girls, who are sterotyped as non-violent, passive and submissive.

Glad you're seeing the misandry here. I'm not going to go through the rest of your paragraphs (if there's something in particular you'd like me to address, I'll be happy to. Just point it out to me.

But I do want to point this out really quick. You are less likely to recognize misandry than misogyny, even right in front of your face. And I'm not just saying this, we've tested children. There's no tests for adults yet, but we have lots of anecdotal evidence from adults.

Here's a study of children:

https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... dolescence

In both studies, female adolescents reported more empathic sadness than did male adolescents. Female targets also received more affective empathy than did male targets, and, more importantly, gender differences were observed in same-sex versus other-sex affective empathy. Specifically, in both studies male adolescents reported less empathic sadness towards same-sex than towards other-sex targets.

Both boys and girls are more empathetic towards girls and less empathetic towards boys. Boys are less empathetic overall, but have the same bias, and in the same direction, as girls do.

If you want to see the chart, this (quick and dirty powerpoint presentation masquerading as a study) powerpoint has the chart on page 7.

It's very very likely you see just as much misandry as misogyny, if not more. You, like almost everybody, probably just have less empathy for men than women.
Last edited by Galloism on Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Postby Ostroeuropa » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:29 am

Honestly there's so much wrong with your post it'll take me a while to get to it. I'm ignoring some of it until I get back from my date. Gallo has covered a lot of it, but for now i'll just point out you've rapidly shifted your opinion and are pretending you never denied misandry was extensive.

Firstly you denied men were oppressed in any meaningful way, which is what prompted me to throw down the gauntlet to you.
Then you denied misandry was extensive.

Now you're saying "Hey, i agree it's extensive, I just don't see how you make the leap from there to-".

So whatever man, if you're going to act that way that's not something new to us. It's just worth noting that your Feminist inclinations and impulses led to you being a public detriment to the conversation and denying misandry until a bunch of MRAs nailed you down on it and forced you to stop being a sexist blight on the conversation with your denial of misandry. I'll get to your other shit that misframes issues or pushes dodgy stats later.

For now i'll point out using crime statistics on domestic violence to "Prove" women suffer more DV is laughable given the dynamics in play, and its exactly the kind of shit that feminists frequently do that's led me to conclude their movement isn't worth having around. You're spreading misinformation and entrenching misandry.

Your online harassment one has methodological errors corrected for in more recent studies:

https://reason.com/archives/2017/07/18/ ... nline-as-w

(Erasure of male victims being a primary method by which feminists advance the notion of widespread and systemic misogyny, which then itself is used to advance gynocentrism and misandry as the "Difference" is corrected for by anti-male or female chauvinist means.)

76% of trafficked persons are women; 67% of persons convicted in trafficking offences are men

This isn't the case when you account for children and with that you hit around 66% being women. Also, "People convicted" hardly matters when discussing systemic discrimination. Female privilege in the justice system and gender stereotypes about sexual exploitation (Stereotypes feminists routinely advance) and through policing means women who traffick won't be noticed, targeted, arrested, convicted and so on as much as men.

You got one, congrats.

how misogyny influences online cultural controversies such as gamergate.

You mean that thing where feminists all across the western world lined up to support a domestic abuser because she was a woman after her victim posted online about how she was psychologically abusive toward him?

Hey man, Gamers aren't the ones who pretend to care about this stuff. They went with the corruption angle and ignored the DV. You?
You guys fucked up. You backed an abuser and convinced a court to put a gag order on her victim because it was getting her "harrassed" for him to talk about it.

So much for metoo, right?

ts main themes are criticism of feminism and so-called "social justice warriors", who are perceived as a threat to traditional video games

This isn't true, it's criticism of a bunch of feminist crap in what are ostensibly game review magazines and so on. Why don't you try using counter sources instead of just pointing out that institutions of authority are stuffed full of feminists who vilify their opposition then act like it's a fact because they said it?

Read the article more carefully. It's a bunch of "According to" and "X says.". That's your evidence? It's bullshit mate, just more feminists asserting things and then acting like them saying so means it must be true. Meanwhile, Gamergate has actual studies analyzing these absurd claims you guys made about them.

As for your constant "Historically", even if we debate it, it doesn't much matter because you're still relying on faulty logic here you go, some posts.
Can any feminist explain to me how the "Historically oppressed" argument is any different to, say, me up and deciding the catholics are oppressing everyone in Europe? I can refer you to hundreds of examples of how catholicism and the catholic church were brutally oppressive. (Note; only the elites of the group are relevant if we use feminist reasoning too, the men at the top, and the catholic cardinals and so on.) Hell, I can even use them to argue that discrimination against catholics isn't possible because of it if I play with the same rules many feminists do. (Notably, the same dogmatism that existed at the height of protestant abuses exists in the feminist movement, just expressed less violently, that opposition to their cause is inherently a nefarious reactionary plot to return power to the previous regime.)
Using the "Catholics historically oppress others" example would ignore that shit changes, and the governing ideology of many regions switched over and persecuted catholics.

Feminism is in many ways like protestantism, especially in the context of protesting against a governing ideology and norm. And yet, now it is entrenched, and as a system appears to be persecuting others. How does the feminist "Historically" argument apply to women/men, but not to catholics/protestants?

It seems to me that the orange order and the klan might, just might, make the "Historically" argument a bit stupid, much like the duluthists, the feminists who demanded the UK imprison women for less time than men for the same crimes, and the general miasma of misandry the movement have produced somewhat change the context.

History moves on.

Historically, women were oppressed. Just like historically, feminism has oppressed men. Same as historically, the catholicism oppressed europe, and protestantism oppressed catholics.

Much like the orange order needs to get over themselves and get with the times, feminism seems to be suffering from the same problem, the delusion that they're still under siege by a malevolent force instead of acknowledging the reality of the situation as it currently exists, that they are currently putting the boot to other peoples necks. The same type of reference to historic abuses and the justified nature of their organizations exists within both the orange order and feminism, and the same flaw in thinking for both. The result for both is the same too, persecution of others and entrenching of privileges for a particular class of people.

Can anyone actually articulate the difference?
Any evidence at all?

Oh, by the way, protestantism means we're protesting the catholic church, so obviously we can't be in power, it's in the definition. (Protestant version of feminist gaslighting over "It means equality.".

And

"Versailles was unfair and that's why our movement is justified and criticizing us means you hate germany" crap they constantly run with that relies on ignoring the victims of their movement and only focusing on the things its done to benefit an ingroup and redress their grievances, as though we could only fix versailles by committing genocide, and women could only get the vote by jailing domestic violence victims. Feminism is not a justified movement, it is a hate movement, and refering to grievances it has
redressed doesn't change that. That so many feminists impulsive go to that rationalization is revealing of the underlying prejudices and ill thought out nature of their movements rationalizations and common ways of vilifying others. It survives not because it is true, but because it is abusive. What is relevant is how the movement has treated its out-group, and there the evidence is damning.

Right, now i'm off.
Last edited by Ostroeuropa on Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:08 am, edited 16 times in total.
Ostro.MOV

There is an out of control trolley speeding towards Jeremy Bentham, who is tied to the track. You can pull the lever to cause the trolley to switch tracks, but on the other track is Immanuel Kant. Bentham is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Critique of Pure Reason. Kant is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Principles of Moral Legislation. Both men are shouting at you that they have recently started to reconsider their ethical stances.

Thanatttynia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Thanatttynia » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:16 pm

Ostroeuropa wrote:Honestly there's so much wrong with your post it'll take me a while to get to it. I'm ignoring some of it until I get back from my date.

Have fun on your date lol I guess it’s good to know you were never debating in good faith you just wanted to try and convert me to your weird religion. You failed! Sorry b!

Gallo has covered a lot of it, but for now i'll just point out you've rapidly shifted your opinion and are pretending you never denied misandry was extensive.

Point me to where I said this

Firstly you denied men were oppressed in any meaningful way, which is what prompted me to throw down the gauntlet to you.
Then you denied misandry was extensive.
Now you're saying "Hey, i agree it's extensive, I just don't see how you make the leap from there to-".

Again, point me to where I said this. Misrepresenting what I’m saying isn’t making me more likely to just believe you, negging doesn’t work in online debates :/

So whatever man, if you're going to act that way that's not something new to us. It's just worth noting that your Feminist inclinations and impulses led to you being a public detriment to the conversation and denying misandry until a bunch of MRAs nailed you down on it and forced you to stop being a sexist blight on the conversation with your denial of misandry. I'll get to your other shit that misframes issues or pushes dodgy stats later.

I love getting nailed down by MRAs! Force me to stop denying misandry again daddy

For now i'll point out using crime statistics on domestic violence to "Prove" women suffer more DV is laughable given the dynamics in play, and its exactly the kind of shit that feminists frequently do that's led me to conclude their movement isn't worth having around. You're spreading misinformation and entrenching misandry.

My statistics on domestic violence are from the Office of National Statistics. Yours are from?
You’re going to have to be specific about what ‘dynamics’ you mean here.

Your online harassment one has methodological errors corrected for in more recent studies:
https://reason.com/archives/2017/07/18/ ... nline-as-w
(Erasure of male victims being a primary method by which feminists advance the notion of widespread and systemic misogyny, which then itself is used to advance gynocentrism and misandry as the "Difference" is corrected for by anti-male or female chauvinist means.)

What methodological errors were those? It seems we both have studies to support our own view.

This isn't the case when you account for children and with that you hit around 66% being women. Also, "People convicted" hardly matters when discussing systemic discrimination. Female privilege in the justice system and gender stereotypes about sexual exploitation (Stereotypes feminists routinely advance) and through policing means women who traffick won't be noticed, targeted, arrested, convicted and so on as much as men.

Man you people really will find misandry in everything huh? Female privilege means real victims of female trafficking are men lol. Just to be clear, the 76% figure is for women and girls. Of every three child victims, two are girls.

If you actually read the UN report, you will see that it actually states the opposite to your claim. ‘In general, traffickers tend to be adult males and nationals of the country in which they operate, but more women and foreign nationals are involved in trafficking in persons than in most other crimes. Women traffickers are often involved in the trafficking of girls and tend to be used for low-ranking activities that have a higher risk of detection’ Despite all this, women are overrepresented (77%) in trafficking convictions in Eastern Europe & Central Asia; they account for ~40% in Asia and the Americas.

You got one, congrats.

Can’t find a way to twist this one round so that the real victims are men? Disappointing. How about ‘women are seen as more desirable by society so male victims of revenge porn do not report because of body image issues’?

how misogyny influences online cultural controversies such as gamergate.

You mean that thing where feminists all across the western world lined up to support a domestic abuser because she was a woman after her victim posted online about how she was psychologically abusive toward him?

Yes, I mean that thing. I don’t have any personal affiliation to her, you can say what you want about her, I don’t give a shit. Managing to make this about her instead of about the legitimate concerns she and others had is indicative of both your contempt for women and your unwillingness to acknowledge anything that doesn’t slot neatly into your narrow worldview.

Hey man, Gamers aren't the ones who pretend to care about this stuff. They went with the corruption angle and ignored the DV. You?
You guys fucked up. You backed an abuser and convinced a court to put a gag order on her victim because it was getting her "harrassed" for him to talk about it.
So much for metoo, right?

Idk who ‘you’ is supposed to be I wasn’t involved in gamergate lol

Its main themes are criticism of feminism and so-called "social justice warriors", who are perceived as a threat to traditional video games

This isn't true, it's criticism of a bunch of feminist crap in what are ostensibly game review magazines and so on. Why don't you try using counter sources instead of just pointing out that institutions of authority are stuffed full of feminists who vilify their opposition then act like it's a fact because they said it?

This isn’t true, it’s criticism of feminism and so-called “social justice warriors”, who are perceived as a threat to hyper-male, misogynistic nerd culture that was not inclusive of women. We can both do this. Do you have any sources for your claim that it’s criticism of ‘a bunch of feminist crap in what are ostensibly game review magazines’? I get that things you like being outed as exclusive and misogynistic can be triggering but you should at least try to engage with what the other side is saying if you want anyone to take anything you say seriously.

Read the article more carefully. It's a bunch of "According to" and "X says.". That's your evidence? It's bullshit mate, just more feminists asserting things and then acting like them saying so means it must be true. Meanwhile, Gamergate has actual studies analyzing these absurd claims you guys made about them.

I’m not here to get bogged down in an argument about gamergate with you mate, I could not give less of a shit about a bunch of nerds reeeeing because people finally called them out for being misogynistic, sorry. I’ll continue to be here for actual good-faith discussion of issues that actually matter.

As for your constant "Historically", even if we debate it, it doesn't much matter because you're still relying on faulty logic here you go, some posts.

So you can’t think of any actual counterargument to what I said and think saying ‘debate doesn’t matter here’ and posting some irrelevant excerpts will suffice? Nope, sorry. Engage with what I said or don’t, but don’t act as though this is because of any ‘faulty logic’ on the part of eeeevil feminism a/o to your inability to disprove what I said.

Can any feminist explain to me how the "Historically oppressed" argument is any different to, say, me up and deciding the catholics are oppressing everyone in Europe? I can refer you to hundreds of examples of how catholicism and the catholic church were brutally oppressive. (Note; only the elites of the group are relevant if we use feminist reasoning too, the men at the top, and the catholic cardinals and so on.) Hell, I can even use them to argue that discrimination against catholics isn't possible because of it if I play with the same rules many feminists do. (Notably, the same dogmatism that existed at the height of protestant abuses exists in the feminist movement, just expressed less violently, that opposition to their cause is inherently a nefarious reactionary plot to return power to the previous regime.)

Using the "Catholics historically oppress others" example would ignore that shit changes, and the governing ideology of many regions switched over and persecuted catholics.
Feminism is in many ways like protestantism, especially in the context of protesting against a governing ideology and norm. And yet, now it is entrenched, and as a system appears to be persecuting others. How does the feminist "Historically" argument apply to women/men, but not to catholics/protestants?

It seems to me that the orange order and the klan might, just might, make the "Historically" argument a bit stupid, much like the duluthists, the feminists who demanded the UK imprison women for less time than men for the same crimes, and the general miasma of misandry the movement have produced somewhat change the context.

History moves on.

Historically, women were oppressed. Just like historically, feminism has oppressed men. Same as historically, the catholicism oppressed europe, and protestantism oppressed catholics.
Much like the orange order needs to get over themselves and get with the times, feminism seems to be suffering from the same problem, the delusion that they're still under siege by a malevolent force instead of acknowledging the reality of the situation as it currently exists, that they are currently putting the boot to other peoples necks. The same type of reference to historic abuses and the justified nature of their organizations exists within both the orange order and feminism, and the same flaw in thinking for both. The result for both is the same too, persecution of others and entrenching of privileges for a particular class of people.

Can anyone actually articulate the difference?
Any evidence at all?

Oh, by the way, protestantism means we're protesting the catholic church, so obviously we can't be in power, it's in the definition. (Protestant version of feminist gaslighting over "It means equality.".

This example would only be relevant if following the switch to feminism from the patriarchal system you now admit existed, we suffered through centuries of men being burnt alive for being men, being denied the vast majority of economic and political opportunities for being men, being culturally persecuted en masse for being men, being the targets of violence for being men, being forced into seclusion for being men etc. As it is, we haven’t, and men are still more powerful than women no matter how much oppression envy you have, so the analogy falls apart.

"Versailles was unfair and that's why our movement is justified and criticizing us means you hate germany" crap they constantly run with that relies on ignoring the victims of their movement and only focusing on the things its done to benefit an ingroup and redress their grievances, as though we could only fix versailles by committing genocide, and women could only get the vote by jailing domestic violence victims. Feminism is not a justified movement, it is a hate movement, and refering to grievances it has redressed doesn't change that. That so many feminists impulsive go to that rationalization is revealing of the underlying prejudices and ill thought out nature of their movements rationalizations and common ways of vilifying others. It survives not because it is true, but because it is abusive. What is relevant is how the movement has treated its out-group, and there the evidence is damning.

Right, now i'm off.

Saying shit like ‘feminism is a hate movement’ and that it’s ‘abusive’ is just pathetic, sorry. You clearly can’t find substantive issues with it and so resort to meaningless emotive language. I've personally encountered much more evidence that the MRM is an abusive hate movement.
Last edited by Thanatttynia on Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thanatttynia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Thanatttynia » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:16 pm

Galloism wrote:The wage gap is due to the social expectation that men must work til they're dead, while women generally have a choice to work full time or not. More women choose not to work or to work less because they have a choice where their husbands. This has effects on pensions.

This might well be the case, but the evidence of an economy in which women and men are given exactly the same opportunities would be no wage gap at all. There is nothing inherent within women or men that means they are more or less suited to participating in a modern tertiary economy. Whilst the wage gap continues to exist in favour of men, it’s clear that the economy is more suited towards men than it is towards women - the exact point I was trying to debate with Ostro before he veered off into full-on denial of sexism.

It might be both of our opinions that we would rather be expected to care for children than to work until we’re dead, but there is nothing formally better about either work or family life. Different people enjoy and find fulfilment in different things. It can’t then be said that it’s worse for men because they are expected to do things we personally find worse than the things women are expected to do.

Women having responsibility for childcare is an outgrowth of this - women get to choose whether or not to work full time, while men (generally) do not, so women, having more free time, generally take on more of the unpaid thing. In fact, in my country, feminism has fought to ensure the status quo of women getting more time with children doesn't go away - because that's what their constituency wants (men also generally want more childcare responsibilities, but society enforces them not to).

Unfortunately, however, women actually end up with five hours less free time than men per week because they are more likely to be doing unpaid work such as caring for children or vulnerable adults. I don’t see how this is harming men.

Regarding the hours per week, this is the first claim I've ever seen (literally ever) where men work fewer hours than women, even taking into account unpaid work. I'm attempting to track down the original source (as it just sites Eurofund, 2016, with no numbers or methodology behind it). In every study I've ever seen, men work more hours - even taking into account unpaid work. I'll get back to this one.

Here’s the methodology behind the Eurofound surveys.

Gender pay gap is due to discrimination against men. This is proof of misandry, not misogyny.

I’m not seeing it, sorry. I accept that men are expected to work more than women, but conversely men are not expected to devote any of their free time to unpaid work. If unpaid care was paid work, I think we’d see the pay gap narrow massively.

Men just don't know when they've been sexually harassed. Seriously. Society tells them repeatedly that's not a problem they face, so they don't recognize it even when it slaps them in the face.

Seriously.

California assemblywoman Cristina Garcia, who is a vocal #MeToo movement leader, has been accused of urging her staffers to play 'spin the bottle' after a night of drinking at a political fundraiser.

One of her former staffers, David John Kernick, filed a formal complaint with the California Department of Fair Employment and Housing claiming that he was fired after questioning the game.

Kernick, who worked for Garcia for five months in 2014, told Politico that they played the game in a hotel room.

He said Garcia, a Los Angeles-area Democrat, sat on the floor of the room with about six others, including staff members and a male friend.

'It was definitely uncomfortable,' Kernick said.

'But I realized it's different for a man than for a woman... You know it's inappropriate, but at the same time you may wonder: 'How many women do you work for that act like that?' You think... 'Maybe she's just really cool'.

'It muddies the waters.'

Seriously. Men have to rationalize away being harassed by their boss because oh, "it must be they're cool".

This is even true among rape and sexual assault - men rationalize it away as a conquest over time, because society tells them that's what it must have been, and they are forced to bury their trauma because revealing it will only make society attack.

I wholeheartedly agree with you here. Anecdotally, I’ve been some form of sexually assaulted myself and never told anyone. When a female family member of mine was raped, she did inform the authorities, and told them who it was. She submitted herself to all their tests, but the CPS ultimately decided they couldn’t bring a case against him. How sexual assault and rape are currently dealt with doesn’t work for men or women.

I read the results and skimmed through the text in that source but I’m not seeing this. It looks to me as though in every statistic excepting being forced to penetrate, more women than men self-report as victims? Could you point me to which part of the study you’re referring to?

That's... not really what it says at all. It asks people how they think society looks up to masculine men/feminine women, then asks them whether it's good or bad. People are split on whether looking up to masculine men is good or bad:

Republicans who say society looks up to masculine men overwhelmingly say this is a good thing (78%). Democrats aren’t convinced: Among those who say society looks up to masculine men, almost identical shares say this is a good thing (49%) as say it is a bad thing (48%).

4 in 5 republicans say it's a good thing, about 1 in 2 democrats says it's a good thing and 1 in 2 say its' a BAD thing to look up to masculine men.

Among women:

While smaller shares of Americans say most people in our society look up to feminine women than say most people look up to masculine men, a solid majority of those who say society looks up to women who are feminine (83%) also say this is a good thing; just 15% say it’s a bad thing that society looks up to feminine women. Overall, 60% of those who say most people look up to masculine men see this as a good thing, while 37% say it is bad.

In fact, it's more broadly acceptable to look up to feminine women than it is to look up to masculine men. Masculinity is liked, but less than femininity is liked.

The data for ‘Americans say society places a higher premium on masculinity than femininity is from this page. I thought I linked to it directly, my mistake.
53% of Americans say most people look up to masculine men, 32% of Americans say most people look up to feminine women. There are wide differences in these attitudes based on partisan alignment, race, education etc.

Again, men are less likely to classify harassment AS harassment, because society says this a problem they don't face. When you examine it in a more sterile way you get different results:

At the same time, there was little reaction to a report contradicting the narrative that male public figures get considerably less Twitter abuse than their female counterparts. While the study, conducted by the British think tank Demos, was limited to a fairly small sample of British celebrities, journalists and politicians whose Twitter timelines were tracked over a two-week period, its findings are nonetheless interesting. On the whole, 2.5 percent of the tweets sent to the men but fewer than 1 percent of those sent to women were classified as abusive. Male politicians fared especially badly, receiving more than six times as much abuse as female politicians.

The only category in which women got more Twitter abuse than men was journalism: abusive messages accounted for more than 5 percent of the tweets sent to the female journalists and TV presenters in the study and fewer than 2 percent of the ones sent to the male journalists. (However, the most abused male journalist in the sample, controversial ex-CNN host Piers Morgan, was counted as a “celebrity” rather than a journalist; otherwise, he would have single-handedly raised the proportion of abusive tweets to male journalists to almost 6 percent of the total.) While about three-quarters of the offenders were men, about 40 percent of the abusive tweets to women were sent by other women.

I wasn’t aware of this, thanks for bringing it to my attention. I’ll look more into the figures surrounding online harassment before I make any more claims about it.

I agree that these figures may be distorted by how we expect men to respond to frightening situations.

I don’t have any data but I would personally guess less. Whilst men may be being harassed more online than women, I doubt that any sizeable proportion of that harassment is based on their gender, whilst I think it would be found that a lot of harassment directed towards women is based on their gender. I can think of plenty of gendered slurs primarily used against women, for example, but only a few primarily used against men (and where I can, they are generally slurs which question a man’s masculinity or aim to feminise a man so as to insult him.)

I don’t see that these examples are indicative of as much widespread misandry as you maybe think they are. Personally speaking, I encounter a lot more misogyny in the culture than I do misandry, and although I know you can’t take my anecdotal evidence at face value, I’m sure you’ll understand that my own personal experience has led me to accept a feminist reading of culture. You will note that those arguing that women shouldn’t be included in the draft aren’t exactly what you’d call feminists, suggesting the root of their problem with that is probably in outdated attitudes towards the role of women as opposed to misandristic tendencies.

Actually, very specifically. See above about the treatment of women and men in the justice system.

Here's a link to Prof Starr's paper, but AWS is doing maintenance right now, but should be back up in a bit.

Very disturbing. I don’t have time to look through this entire paper now but thanks for bringing it to my attention. It’s definitely possible that men are discriminated against throughout the justice system on the basis of their gender. We might disagree on what this discrimination stems from but we can definitely agree that this is a problem and I’d be supportive of a lot more work being done to address it.

I disagree; the evidence tells us that a) female teachers discriminate against male students, b) male students are aware of this discrimination, and c) educational prospects were determined to be the biggest factor in a study of suicides amongst young men.

I'm not sure about that last part, I haven't studied that part, but given how important education is to our overall lives - lifetime earnings, class category, and future inside or outside of prison, this by itself should be considered "widespread sexist discrimination" worthy of significant screaming.

Couldn’t agree more that there should be more screaming about the suicide epidemic, but it has been covered at least in the UK media.

Glad you're seeing the misandry here. I'm not going to go through the rest of your paragraphs (if there's something in particular you'd like me to address, I'll be happy to. Just point it out to me.

But I do want to point this out really quick. You are less likely to recognize misandry than misogyny, even right in front of your face. And I'm not just saying this, we've tested children. There's no tests for adults yet, but we have lots of anecdotal evidence from adults.

In both studies, female adolescents reported more empathic sadness than did male adolescents. Female targets also received more affective empathy than did male targets, and, more importantly, gender differences were observed in same-sex versus other-sex affective empathy. Specifically, in both studies male adolescents reported less empathic sadness towards same-sex than towards other-sex targets.

Both boys and girls are more empathetic towards girls and less empathetic towards boys. Boys are less empathetic overall, but have the same bias, and in the same direction, as girls do.

If you want to see the chart, this (quick and dirty powerpoint presentation masquerading as a study) powerpoint has the chart on page 7.

It's very very likely you see just as much misandry as misogyny, if not more. You, like almost everybody, probably just have less empathy for men than women.

This is entirely possible. I think the explanation put forward in my last post for why this is is a likely explanation, but just because it’s natural doesn’t mean it’s right, and we should be trying to extirpate this attitude from everyone, especially from the people in those arenas where men are already vulnerable - in particular the justice and education systems, as you’ve outlined.

Thank you for engaging in good faith with the points I made. I’m not a misandrist and being portrayed as someone who doesn’t care about prejudice and discrimination against men (especially when I am a man myself) is grating, but I accept that I haven’t been as up on this issue as I probably should be. You’ve provided me with a lot of interesting reading material.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:29 pm

Thanatttynia wrote:
Galloism wrote:The wage gap is due to the social expectation that men must work til they're dead, while women generally have a choice to work full time or not. More women choose not to work or to work less because they have a choice where their husbands. This has effects on pensions.

This might well be the case, but the evidence of an economy in which women and men are given exactly the same opportunities would be no wage gap at all.

This may or may not be true. It depends on whether or not men and women (statistically) make different choices.

There is nothing inherent within women or men that means they are more or less suited to participating in a modern tertiary economy. Whilst the wage gap continues to exist in favour of men, it’s clear that the economy is more suited towards men than it is towards women - the exact point I was trying to debate with Ostro before he veered off into full-on denial of sexism.

Um, the economy isn't probably more suited towards men than it is towards women. It's just men work with the metaphorical point of a gun to their head more, so they work harder. Women by and large aren't forced by society to work until their dead, so they don't work as much (when it comes to the job market).

It might be both of our opinions that we would rather be expected to care for children than to work until we’re dead, but there is nothing formally better about either work or family life. Different people enjoy and find fulfilment in different things. It can’t then be said that it’s worse for men because they are expected to do things we personally find worse than the things women are expected to do.

There's a ton of sayings surrounding this, like "No one on their deathbed wishes they spent more time at the office."

Unfortunately, however, women actually end up with five hours less free time than men per week because they are more likely to be doing unpaid work such as caring for children or vulnerable adults. I don’t see how this is harming men.

Because men WANT to be allowed to care for their children, but can't, because of society punishing them if they do.

By the way, one of the sources on that page goes into detail about the work of "child co-presence" because the person is responsible for "harm not being visited on that child". Which is sort of true, but I'm having trouble calling it work when a mother and child watch TV together.

Here’s the methodology behind the Eurofound surveys.

That's pretty general. And I can't seem to find the specific questions they asked.

I’m not seeing it, sorry. I accept that men are expected to work more than women, but conversely men are not expected to devote any of their free time to unpaid work. If unpaid care was paid work, I think we’d see the pay gap narrow massively.

I don't think so. I think you've got the cart before the horse.

Because the man is at the office slaving away in a job he hates but can't leave because if he doesn't he's a failure as a man, his wife winds up picking up the slack. The former is causing the latter, not the other way.

There is a household work gap that persists, but I wonder if that's because men are often more expected to do unpaid work outside the home - fixing roofs, painting, mowing, fixing the car, etc. The reason why I was looking for the Eurofund questions is that these questions are often left out, and therefore it's assumed that men do less work. It's just the work is done 50ft from the home, not in the home.

Seriously.

I wholeheartedly agree with you here. Anecdotally, I’ve been some form of sexually assaulted myself and never told anyone. When a female family member of mine was raped, she did inform the authorities, and told them who it was. She submitted herself to all their tests, but the CPS ultimately decided they couldn’t bring a case against him. How sexual assault and rape are currently dealt with doesn’t work for men or women.

Look, sometimes the bad guy (or woman) gets away. That's unfortunate, but you have a whole class of men who would never ever report a boss for sexual harassment no matter what she does because they know the only response is laughter because of their gender.

Similar to the above, but in the US we use behavioral questions, and find more men suffer domestic violence each year than women.

I read the results and skimmed through the text in that source but I’m not seeing this. It looks to me as though in every statistic excepting being forced to penetrate, more women than men self-report as victims? Could you point me to which part of the study you’re referring to?

Sure, table 6. 4,774,000 women suffered physical domestic violence from a spouse in the last twelve months. During the same period, 5,452,000 men did. For bonus points, although not what I was originally trying to point out, when it comes to psychological aggression (what some papers call coercive control) 17,091,000 women suffered in the last 12 months, compared with 20,471,000 men.

Among women:

The data for ‘Americans say society places a higher premium on masculinity than femininity is from this page. I thought I linked to it directly, my mistake.
53% of Americans say most people look up to masculine men, 32% of Americans say most people look up to feminine women. There are wide differences in these attitudes based on partisan alignment, race, education etc.

Keep in mind, that's still asking "what do you think society thinks" instead of "what do you think".

Which is a valid and important question, but again, subject to certain biases.

What they actually reported is that masculine men are less liked than feminine women, while everyone thinks it's really the reverse.

It's an interesting commentary on the social bias before.

I wasn’t aware of this, thanks for bringing it to my attention. I’ll look more into the figures surrounding online harassment before I make any more claims about it.

It's complicated. Men tend to get threats of horrific violence against them, or threats against their families, while women tend to get threats of rape.

Most objective data seems to indicate men and women get more or less equal amounts of harassment (with a few leaning to men slightly more), but that the type matters by the target. Incidentally, this is also true on racial lines - white people tend to get different types of harassment than black people for instance.

I agree that these figures may be distorted by how we expect men to respond to frightening situations.

Definitely. If a man asks for help, he forfeits all right to it.

I don’t have any data but I would personally guess less.

Based on the data you gave above, I would guess more.

Whilst men may be being harassed more online than women, I doubt that any sizeable proportion of that harassment is based on their gender, whilst I think it would be found that a lot of harassment directed towards women is based on their gender. I can think of plenty of gendered slurs primarily used against women, for example, but only a few primarily used against men (and where I can, they are generally slurs which question a man’s masculinity or aim to feminise a man so as to insult him.)

Misandristic tweets tend to be more general. Such as calling for the killing of all men or culling men down to a small percentage of the population.

You know, stuff that makes you want to goose step.

I don’t see that these examples are indicative of as much widespread misandry as you maybe think they are. Personally speaking, I encounter a lot more misogyny in the culture than I do misandry, and although I know you can’t take my anecdotal evidence at face value, I’m sure you’ll understand that my own personal experience has led me to accept a feminist reading of culture. You will note that those arguing that women shouldn’t be included in the draft aren’t exactly what you’d call feminists, suggesting the root of their problem with that is probably in outdated attitudes towards the role of women as opposed to misandristic tendencies.

I USED to think that I encountered a lot more misogyny in culture than I do misandry. Now I have established a mental pattern of turning every phrase around and thinking "now if it said women instead of men, would I still feel the same way", and found a lot of times I just didn't.

Once you start examining things that way, you'll realize it's been slapping you in the face this whole time.

And when it comes to the draft, we send men to their deaths against their will based on their gender and have for centuries. That's misandry on a large and institutional level.

How we haven't seen that is telling to our biases.

Very disturbing. I don’t have time to look through this entire paper now but thanks for bringing it to my attention. It’s definitely possible that men are discriminated against throughout the justice system on the basis of their gender. We might disagree on what this discrimination stems from but we can definitely agree that this is a problem and I’d be supportive of a lot more work being done to address it.

Someone did an analysis and if men were sentenced like women, there would be something like 80% less men in jail now.

There'd still be more men than women, but at a much lower ratio than now.

I'd have to try to find it again.

Couldn’t agree more that there should be more screaming about the suicide epidemic, but it has been covered at least in the UK media.

In the UK, it's worth noting your most famous feminist in parliament tried to kill any discussion of the male suicide epidemic in parliament because men are privileged and we shouldn't talk about men's problems.

This is entirely possible. I think the explanation put forward in my last post for why this is is a likely explanation, but just because it’s natural doesn’t mean it’s right, and we should be trying to extirpate this attitude from everyone, especially from the people in those arenas where men are already vulnerable - in particular the justice and education systems, as you’ve outlined.

Thank you for engaging in good faith with the points I made. I’m not a misandrist and being portrayed as someone who doesn’t care about prejudice and discrimination against men (especially when I am a man myself) is grating, but I accept that I haven’t been as up on this issue as I probably should be. You’ve provided me with a lot of interesting reading material.

I'm not really saying that you're consciously misandrist - this was not a personal attack. I was a misandrist too and didn't know it. Trying to break free of that bias and I want everyone else to too. Sometimes it's upsetting, maybe even depressing, to have to look past your inherent biases, but if you want True Justice (tm), it must be done.

Men are jailed more. Men are sent to their deaths for their gender. Men have less right to bodily autonomy than women do. They're discriminated against in court - both criminal and family. They make up the majority of the homeless. They make up the majority of suicides. They live less time than women. They get less medical care than women. They're discriminated against in schools. They're an oppressed and vanishing minority in college. They're discriminated against by the police. They are the vast majority of those murdered. They are the vast majority of those assaulted. They're somewhere around half of those beaten by spouses or raped (if one, unlike the CDC, does not use a sexist definition of rape), and are routinely arrested or charged if they try to report it. They're publicly vilified for seeking equal protection of the law. Called "entitled" if they sue for redress of grievances. They're raped as children and people laugh. Courts force them to pay their rapist if the rape results in a child. They're still required to sign up for the death list based on their gender. In most places, there are no shelters for them when they're beaten by their spouses. Domestic violence hotlines accuse them of being the perpetrator when they call for help. When they overcome all the social roadblocks and get desperate enough to actually call the police, they are more often arrested than the actual violent woman. Oh, and falling victim to ANY of this gets you blamed for it because it's "toxic masculinity". It's your fault you oppressor you.

I'm not saying women don't have issues. But while men still lack something as basic as equal protection of the law, I'm hard pressed to say women suffer more than men from sexism.
Last edited by Galloism on Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Hirota
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 22, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Hirota » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:02 pm

I assume this isn't the same study which more than half of misogynistic posts by Twitter users in the UK and America are written by women? :eyebrow:

I could probably, if I wanted to, go over your gish gallop over each and everypoint and address some or even most of these sources - but there isn't much point (especially when Gallo has done a decent job). This entire argument is based around trying to find how women have it worse than men in sexual harassment, in stalking, in domestic violence. It's playing a zero sum game, which is nonproductive.

Instead of framing these issues in reductive terms surrounding gender, which feminism is devoted to doing, how about we look at resolving these issues in holistic terms - something I suspect most MRA's would be happy to do.
When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger - Confucius
Known to trigger Grammar Nazis, Spelling Nazis, Actual Nazis, the emotionally stunted and pedants.
Those affected by the views, opinions or general demeanour of this poster should review this puppy picture. Those affected by puppy pictures should consider investing in an isolation tank.

Economic Left/Right: -3.25, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.03
Isn't it curious how people will claim they are against tribalism, then pigeonhole themselves into tribes?

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
I use obviously in italics to emphasise the conveying of sarcasm. If I've put excessive obviously's into a post that means I'm being sarcastic

West Leas Oros 2
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 15, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby West Leas Oros 2 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:09 pm

Hirota wrote:
I assume this isn't the same study which more than half of misogynistic posts by Twitter users in the UK and America are written by women? :eyebrow:

I could probably, if I wanted to, go over your gish gallop over each and everypoint and address some or even most of these sources - but there isn't much point (especially when Gallo has done a decent job). This entire argument is based around trying to find how women have it worse than men in sexual harassment, in stalking, in domestic violence. It's playing a zero sum game, which is nonproductive.

Instead of framing these issues in reductive terms surrounding gender, which feminism is devoted to doing, how about we look at resolving these issues in holistic terms - something I suspect most MRA's would be happy to do.

“B-but it’s because their internalized to it! It’s not their fault.” :roll:
WLO Public News: Outdated Factbooks and other documents in process of major redesign! ESTIMATED COMPLETION DATE: <error:not found>
How many South Americans need to be killed by the CIA before you realize socialism is bad?
I like to think I've come a long way since the days of the First WLO.
Conscientious Objector in the “Culture War”

NationStates Leftist Alternative only needs a couple more nations before it can hold its constitutional convention!

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Postby Ostroeuropa » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:14 pm

Thanatttynia wrote:Have fun on your date lol I guess it’s good to know you were never debating in good faith you just wanted to try and convert me to your weird religion. You failed! Sorry b!

I did have fun, lots of fun, and now i'm drunk, so if we can de-escalate a bit on the hostility that might be fruitful, but right now i'm belligerent so kindly look past it if you could. I was debating in good faith, and yes i'm trying to convince you. are you under the impression I have to make you my priority? No, my girlfriend is my priority. This isn't speed mafia mate, this is regular mafia. I can take as long as I please.

Point me to where I said this

Here you go.

Okay, let's start with some basic examples and questions.

What would you need to prove to you that western society is misandrist?

Thanatttynia wrote:Probably some actual evidence of widespread and systemic misandry the weight and scale of which is such that it overrides all of the evidence to the contrary that I have seen.

Thanatttynia wrote:
Proctopeo wrote:You know, opponents of feminism at least try to understand what feminism actually is, even if they miss the target. You're at the "I read a couple headlines from The Mary Sue about the MRM!" level, the absolute minimum effort required to say anything about it.

Lost it at 'opponents of feminism at least try to understand what feminism is' sorry what? when? who? I've never encountered a single moral person who a) understands feminism and b) opposes it; this is because feminism as a movement is about equality between the sexes and/or genders.

As for your half-baked caricature, I'm happy to tell you it doesn't fit me at all! I don't read the Mary Sue! I'm not into liberal or woke feminism! I don't oppose men's rights movements on principle! I oppose what has come to be known as the men's rights movement because it has time and time again shown that it's not and has never been about minimising inequalities between the sexes and/or genders that negatively or disproportionately affect men, it's a place for men who want to whine about being oppressed (despite scarce evidence of that happening on any meaningful level) because a) being a man no longer has quite the same level of cultural, social or economic capital it used to have and b) people love to whine about themselves and how the world treats them in general and will find any excuse to do so.

Again, point me to where I said this. Misrepresenting what I’m saying isn’t making me more likely to just believe you, negging doesn’t work in online debates :/

Your previous posts in this thread, see above.

I love getting nailed down by MRAs! Force me to stop denying misandry again daddy

We're doing well so far.

My statistics on domestic violence are from the Office of National Statistics. Yours are from?
You’re going to have to be specific about what ‘dynamics’ you mean here.

Surveys on the population show it's about equal, and that in fact women initiate most domestic violence. (Bi-directional domestic violence is mostly initiated by women.). It's merely that it tends to be the men who get jailed for it, even if they are not reciprocating and are purely the victim.

Male victims of domestic violence are more likely to be arrested than the perpetrator if they seek help. This impacts state gathered stats and especially criminal stats.

What methodological errors were those? It seems we both have studies to support our own view.

Yours is from several years ago.

Man you people really will find misandry in everything huh? Female privilege means real victims of female trafficking are men lol. Just to be clear, the 76% figure is for women and girls. Of every three child victims, two are girls.

No, it's pointing out that your "conviction" stat is useless in the context of widespread discrimination against men in the justice system and women being privileged at every stage of the justice process.

Can’t find a way to twist this one round so that the real victims are men? Disappointing. How about ‘women are seen as more desirable by society so male victims of revenge porn do not report because of body image issues’?

No, there are mens issues and there are womens issues. It's just that very very few of them are what feminists claim they are. I have not denied women face issues.

Yes, I mean that thing. I don’t have any personal affiliation to her, you can say what you want about her, I don’t give a shit. Managing to make this about her instead of about the legitimate concerns she and others had is indicative of both your contempt for women and your unwillingness to acknowledge anything that doesn’t slot neatly into your narrow worldview.

Lemme get this straight. Gamergate is sexist because you've made accusations that you haven't managed to prove, but the anti-gamergate movement chiefly composed of feminist activists wasn't sexist for helping a domestic abuser get a court order gagging her victim? In fact, the ones who sided with the domestic abuser and worked round the clock to get her victim gagged? Those are the ones making these accusations, and many of them are proven liars, in fact given that it's an anti-media corruption movement, you'd think at least some skepticism of the claims from feminist journalists against them would be warranted, but nope!

Tell you what. Let's be as charitable as possible and say all the feminists who rallied around Quinn without noting her domestic violence against her ex being called out was what started the shitstorm, aren't exactly the most ludic or perceptive when it comes to noticing sexism, so maybe the shit they said about gamergate should be taken with a grain of salt.

Okey doke!

Idk who ‘you’ is supposed to be I wasn’t involved in gamergate lol

The feminist movement and the anti-gamergate reaction, chiefly feminist in nature.

This isn’t true, it’s criticism of feminism and so-called “social justice warriors”, who are perceived as a threat to hyper-male, misogynistic nerd culture that was not inclusive of women. We can both do this. Do you have any sources for your claim that it’s criticism of ‘a bunch of feminist crap in what are ostensibly game review magazines’? I get that things you like being outed as exclusive and misogynistic can be triggering but you should at least try to engage with what the other side is saying if you want anyone to take anything you say seriously.

There's nothing to engage with, just baseless accusations and assertions of dogma without any actual backing or evidence. That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.

I’m not here to get bogged down in an argument about gamergate with you mate, I could not give less of a shit about a bunch of nerds reeeeing because people finally called them out for being misogynistic, sorry. I’ll continue to be here for actual good-faith discussion of issues that actually matter.

So you're backing down from offering that as a piece of evidence. You're not here to get bogged down in rebuttals to your claims, but you're totes here in good faith.

So you can’t think of any actual counterargument to what I said and think saying ‘debate doesn’t matter here’ and posting some irrelevant excerpts will suffice?

It doesn't matter how much anti-abortionists debate a fertilized egg is a human person, because their premise is still faulty. Even if it was a fully conscious human being the woman has a right to abort because of bodily autonomy.

Similarly your "Hisotrically" crap is based on a faulty premise, even if it's a load of bollocks, and that should be clear from the posts I quoted.

Nope, sorry. Engage with what I said or don’t, but don’t act as though this is because of any ‘faulty logic’ on the part of eeeevil feminism a/o to your inability to disprove what I said.

I did engage with what you said, it's just that in addition to that i'm pointing out why it doesn't matter.

This example would only be relevant if following the switch to feminism from the patriarchal system you now admit existed,

Not particularly, no, I accept traditionalism is a thing.

we suffered through centuries of men being burnt alive for being men, being denied the vast majority of economic and political opportunities for being men, being culturally persecuted en masse for being men, being the targets of violence for being men, being forced into seclusion for being men etc. As it is, we haven’t, and men are still more powerful than women no matter how much oppression envy you have, so the analogy falls apart.

You're deliberately avoiding the point. Feminism has victimized men in multitudes of ways and we can go over them, merely because it doesn't victimize them in exactly and precisely the same way protestantism did doesn't discredit the main point of the analogy.

Saying shit like ‘feminism is a hate movement’ and that it’s ‘abusive’ is just pathetic, sorry. You clearly can’t find substantive issues with it and so resort to meaningless emotive language. I've personally encountered much more evidence that the MRM is an abusive hate movement.

Oh I can find you issues. Let's start with the duluth model of domestic violence. Or hey, how about the fact that the woman who founded the first domestic violence shelter is an MRA now (And comes to our conferences) because she got death threats and bomb threats against her from feminist terrorists right at the beginning of society taking this issue seriously for noting that women were just as violent as men in relationships because it went against their sexist and gynocentric ideological framing of the issue?

Something they still do, by the way:

7. Harrass, Threaten, and Penalize Researchers who Produce Evidence That Contradicts Feminist Beliefs

See this;

http://menaregood.com/wordpress/straus- ... -research/

Oh, by the way, this right here is the climate the feminist movement has created on this topic, if you needed more proof it is based in dogmatism and delusions rather than science and facts, they have their own frequent galileo moments.

https://www.reddit.com/r/MensRights/com ... quency_of/

(The CDC chickened out and published the results in a less important scientific outlet because they contradicted feminist narratives.)

I should note the following: Mark Rosenthal on Facbook says: "I spoke to Whitaker (the study's lead author) shortly after this study first came out. He told me that all the researchers worked for the U.S. Centers for Disease Control, and that a paper like this would ordinarily be published in the CDC's own publication "Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report". But in this case, the higher-ups at the CDC were terrified of the political backlash from publishing a report that challenged the myth that most cases of domestic violence involve a violent man beating up his helpless wife and kids. So they weren't allowed to publish in MMWR, and had to publish in an outside journal. That's why it was published in the American Journal of Public Health. He told me I could not cite the study as "a CDC study". I should only cite it as "a study by CDC researchers".

By the way, this shit:

Is disingenuous. That proves precisely nothing except that most Americans buy into the feminist narrative. It does not actually demonstrate misogyny by measuring if people actually DO look up to masculine men more than feminine women.

Which i've actually already provided you evidence isn't actually the case.
(The studies showing women like women more than men like men, and the studies showing high in group bias among women and no in-group bias among men.)
Last edited by Ostroeuropa on Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:17 pm, edited 16 times in total.
Ostro.MOV

Thanatttynia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Thanatttynia » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:37 pm

I'll respond to the two more sizeable posts tomorrow; it's 3 am here.

Your point being?

It's based around that because I was asked to provide examples of misogyny and sexual discrimination against women. No serious, sensible feminist would ever claim that misandry or sexual discrimination against men don't exist - that's not what I was trying to do, and I think I've been more than reasonable in this debate in being open to evidence presented from the other side (something that I don't feel has been reciprocated entirely but it's w/e.)

I personally doubt that given my own experiences with MRA and MRA-adjacent communities but a more inclusive movement towards gender equality couldn't be a bad thing.

West Leas Oros 2 wrote:
Hirota wrote:I assume this isn't the same study which more than half of misogynistic posts by Twitter users in the UK and America are written by women? :eyebrow:

“B-but it’s because their internalized to it! It’s not their fault.” :roll:

Feminism isn't about claiming women can't be bad people. It's not dependent on the personal qualities (or lack thereof) of any woman; it's about the elimination of systemic and impersonal inequalities based on sex and gender.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:46 pm

Thanatttynia wrote:Feminism isn't about claiming women can't be bad people. It's not dependent on the personal qualities (or lack thereof) of any woman; it's about the elimination of systemic and impersonal inequalities based on sex and gender.

Let's be clear on this, women can't be sexist is a real refrain from those who would typically be called "feminist", although some dissent exists.

There is a very common refrain amongst portions of the left (and I say that as a leftist) that women are inherently "better" as a result of being the "oppressed class", and should not be held to the same standards as men when it comes to shitty behavior.

This is oft demonstrated in the fact that people use "internalized misogyny" to mean roughly the same thing as "toxic masculinity", despite the former blaming external forces while the latter blames the person in question.
Last edited by Galloism on Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hirota
Powerbroker

Postby Hirota » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:05 pm

Thanatttynia wrote:

I personally doubt that given my own experiences with MRA and MRA-adjacent communities but a more inclusive movement towards gender equality couldn't be a bad thing.
First of all, I'll make it simple for you. Given that a number of feminists have crossed the line between feminist and mra - Karen DeCrow and Warren Farrell are probably the most famous two - to varying levels demonstrate this isn't an issue that has to be dominated by petty tribalism.

Of course, given the excommunication that occurred with those two names in particular. - who thinks of Warren Farrell as a member of NOW when he is now considered "the father of the men's rights movement" - the same father who said "there should be neither a women's movement blaming men, nor a men's movement blaming women, but a gender liberation movement freeing both sexes from the rigid roles of the past toward more flexible roles for their future."

You have the father of the mra, a former feminist, calling for a less dogmatic, less entrenched movement. And you still think (anecdotally of course) that the MRA has no interest?
Known to trigger Grammar Nazis, Spelling Nazis, Actual Nazis, the emotionally stunted and pedants.
Those affected by the views, opinions or general demeanour of this poster should review this puppy picture. Those affected by puppy pictures should consider investing in an isolation tank.

Isn't it curious how people will claim they are against tribalism, then pigeonhole themselves into tribes?

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
I use obviously in italics to emphasise the conveying of sarcasm. If I've put excessive obviously's into a post that means I'm being sarcastic

Celsland
Lobbyist

Founded: Jul 29, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Celsland » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:10 pm

this is so sad

Hirota
Powerbroker

Postby Hirota » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:10 pm

That if you want to stamp out misogyny on twitter and social media you should target the primary perpetrators of it. Not that feminism has a problem with dictating to women what they can and can't do.

Thanatttynia wrote:Feminism isn't about claiming women can't be bad people.
Absolutely. It's entirely about claiming anyone who isn't a feminist is a bad person.
Last edited by Hirota on Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Postby Ostroeuropa » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:12 am

Hirota wrote:
Thanatttynia wrote:

Your point being?
That if you want to stamp out misogyny on twitter and social media you should target the primary perpetrators of it. Not that feminism has a problem with dictating to women what they can and can't do.

It has problems being consistent in general and holding women to the same standards it demands of men.
(Oh look it's Liriena 's favorite feminist being a sexist scumbag, tagging you in.)

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/13/nyre ... e=Homepage

That feminist professor who sexually harassed a male student was found guilty despite;

Coming in the middle of the #MeToo movement’s reckoning over sexual misconduct, it raised a challenge for feminists — how to respond when one of their own behaved badly. And the response has roiled a corner of academia.

Soon after the university made its final, confidential determination this spring, a group of scholars from around the world, including prominent feminists, sent a letter to N.Y.U. in defense of Professor Ronell. Judith Butler, the author of the book “Gender Trouble” and one of the most influential feminist scholars today, was first on the list.

“Although we have no access to the confidential dossier, we have all worked for many years in close proximity to Professor Ronell,” the professors wrote in a draft letter posted on a philosophy blog in June. “We have all seen her relationship with students, and some of us know the individual who has waged this malicious campaign against her.”

Critics saw the letter, with its focus on the potential damage to Professor Ronell’s reputation and the force of her personality, as echoing past defenses of powerful men.

“We testify to the grace, the keen wit, and the intellectual commitment of Professor Ronell and ask that she be accorded the dignity rightly deserved by someone of her international standing and reputation,” the professors wrote.

Mr. Reitman, who is now 34 and is a visiting fellow at Harvard, says that Professor Ronell kissed and touched him repeatedly, slept in his bed with him, required him to lie in her bed, held his hand, texted, emailed and called him constantly, and refused to work with him if he did not reciprocate. Mr. Reitman is gay and is now married to a man; Professor Ronell is a lesbian.

Professor Ronell, 66, denied any harassment. “Our communications — which Reitman now claims constituted sexual harassment — were between two adults, a gay man and a queer woman, who share an Israeli heritage, as well as a penchant for florid and campy communications arising from our common academic backgrounds and sensibilities,” she wrote in a statement to The New York Times. “These communications were repeatedly invited, responded to and encouraged by him over a period of three years.”

Professor Ronell and some who are backing her have tried to discredit her accuser in familiar ways, asking why he took so long to report, and why he seemed so intimate with Professor Ronell if he was, in fact, miserable. Maybe, Professor Ronell suggested, he was frustrated because he just wasn’t smart enough.

“His main dilemma was the incoherency in his writing, and lack of a recognizable argument,” Professor Ronell said in a January 2018 interview submitted to the Title IX office.

Diane Davis, chair of the department of rhetoric at the University of Texas-Austin, who also signed the letter to the university supporting Professor Ronell, said she and her colleagues were particularly disturbed that, as they saw it, Mr. Reitman was using Title IX, a feminist tool, to take down a feminist.

Title IX was intended to address a long history of sexual harassment and assault of women at school, according to Dana Bolger, a co-founder of Know Your IX, a national advocacy group that teaches students about their Title IX rights.
Last edited by Ostroeuropa on Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:26 am, edited 9 times in total.
Ostro.MOV

Hirota
Powerbroker

Postby Hirota » Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:49 am

Ostroeuropa wrote:It has problems being consistent in general and holding women to the same standards it demands of men.
(Oh look it's Liriena 's favorite feminist being a sexist scumbag, tagging you in.)

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/13/nyre ... e=Homepage
I don't even see it as a matter of holding women to the same standards as it demands of men (although, yes this professor is an example, so is Cristina Garcia - albeit one which is supposedly cleared (although weren't we supposed to believe the victim? isn't that the #metoo way?)

But when male feminists seem to be seem to be disproportionately creepy fuckers (at least , far more reported than your average MRA), then I actually start to get why feminists think every male around them is out to rape them - when you surround yourself with creepy fuckers, you can't see the woods for the trees.
Last edited by Hirota on Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:01 am

Incidentally, in Ostro’s quote, this bugged me:

Diane Davis, chair of the department of rhetoric at the University of Texas-Austin, who also signed the letter to the university supporting Professor Ronell, said she and her colleagues were particularly disturbed that, as they saw it, Mr. Reitman was using Title IX, a feminist tool, to take down a feminist.

Title IX was intended to address a long history of sexual harassment and assault of women at school, according to Dana Bolger, a co-founder of Know Your IX, a national advocacy group that teaches students about their Title IX rights.

“Rules for thee and not for me” was abandoned a long time ago. I’m the legal world, your arguments of today are the arguments of your enemy tomorrow - kind of how the ruling against the ACA that precluded forcing states to expand Medicaid is now being used to defend “sanctuary cities”.

These people who have been pushing for solid definable legal standards on such things aren’t necessarily anti-women, as has been repeatedly and nauseatingly claimed, but rather recognize the need for a consistent process that transcends the individual and can be used as a legal principle for all.

This notion - standards for thee but not for me - is fundamentally anti-equality.
Last edited by Galloism on Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Postby Ostroeuropa » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:17 am

Galloism wrote:Incidentally, in Ostro’s quote, this bugged me:

“Rules for thee and not for me” was abandoned a long time ago. I’m the legal world, your arguments of today are the arguments of your enemy tomorrow - kind of how the ruling against the ACA that precluded forcing states to expand Medicaid is now being used to defend “sanctuary cities”.

These people who have been pushing for solid definable legal standards on such things aren’t necessarily anti-women, as has been repeatedly and nauseatingly claimed, but rather recognize the need for a consistent process that transcends the individual and can be used as a legal principle for all.

This notion - standards for thee but not for me - is fundamentally anti-equality.

The movement is fundamentally anti-equality as we've pointed out at length. This action should not come as a shock.

What's "interesting" (not surprising at all) is that Michael Kimmel was likewise accused of sexual harassment and assault, and despite being even more prominent than the aforementioned feminist, no letter of famous feminists turned up to defend him, on the contrary, they turned on him and demanded something be done about it.

Could it be that all the shit they peddled is merely because they're butthurt a WOMAN feminist got accused, not a feminist in general?
No, surely not. That would be sexi- oh right.
Ostro.MOV

West Leas Oros 2
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby West Leas Oros 2 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:59 am

Celsland wrote:this is so sad

Alexa play despacito
WLO Public News: Outdated Factbooks and other documents in process of major redesign! ESTIMATED COMPLETION DATE: <error:not found>
How many South Americans need to be killed by the CIA before you realize socialism is bad?

NationStates Leftist Alternative only needs a couple more nations before it can hold its constitutional convention!

The Xenopolis Confederation
Powerbroker

Founded: Aug 11, 2017
Anarchy

Postby The Xenopolis Confederation » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:14 am

Celsland wrote:this is so sad

Can we hit 500 likes?
Pro: Liberty, Liberalism, Capitalism, Secularism, Equal opportunity, Democracy, Windows Chauvinism, Deontology, Progressive Rock, LGBT+ Rights, Live and let live tbh.
Against: Authoritarianism, Traditionalism, State Socialism, Laissez-Faire Capitalism, Autocracy, (A)Theocracy, Apple, "The ends justify the means," Collectivism in all its forms.
Nationality: Australian
Political Ideology: If "milktoast liberalism" had a baby with "bleeding-heart libertarianism."
Discord: mellotronyellow

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:58 am

Ostroeuropa wrote:
Galloism wrote:Incidentally, in Ostro’s quote, this bugged me:

The movement is fundamentally anti-equality as we've pointed out at length. This action should not come as a shock.

What's "interesting" (not surprising at all) is that Michael Kimmel was likewise accused of sexual harassment and assault, and despite being even more prominent than the aforementioned feminist, no letter of famous feminists turned up to defend him, on the contrary, they turned on him and demanded something be done about it.

Could it be that all the shit they peddled is merely because they're butthurt a WOMAN feminist got accused, not a feminist in general?

Worth note: there has been almost zero press on Michael Kimmel's accusations.

Which is actually good, incidentally. Nothing has been proven, and unlike some others, I DON'T believe in "justice for thee but not for me". Kimmel should get the same standards that everyone else gets, which is nebulously based on the concept of fairness and innocent until proven guilty (to some standard).

But a google search for "michael kimmel" in the news section reveals only 3 articles discussing the accusation - Inside Higher Ed, which reported that the accuser has come forward publicly (Aug 10). Kimmel deferring an award until he can hear the charges (Aug 1), and The College Fix reporting on the entire thing (Aug 10). Nothing at all outside those 3.

Salon interviewed Kimmel about what motivates angry white men on Aug 9, but didn't mention the accusations against him at all.

West Leas Oros 2
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby West Leas Oros 2 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:04 am

Galloism wrote:
Ostroeuropa wrote:

Worth note: there has been almost zero press on Michael Kimmel's accusations.

Which is actually good, incidentally. Nothing has been proven, and unlike some others, I DON'T believe in "justice for thee but not for me". Kimmel should get the same standards that everyone else gets, which is nebulously based on the concept of fairness and innocent until proven guilty (to some standard).

But a google search for "michael kimmel" in the news section reveals only 3 articles discussing the accusation - Inside Higher Ed, which reported that the accuser has come forward publicly (Aug 10). Kimmel deferring an award until he can hear the charges (Aug 1), and The College Fix reporting on the entire thing (Aug 10). Nothing at all outside those 3.

Salon interviewed Kimmel about what motivates angry white men on Aug 9, but didn't mention the accusations against him at all.

That doesn’t sound like a loaded, offensive statement at all. /s
Last edited by West Leas Oros 2 on Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:06 am

West Leas Oros 2 wrote:
Galloism wrote:Worth note: there has been almost zero press on Michael Kimmel's accusations.

That doesn’t sound like a loaded, offensive statement at all. /s

Well, you know, it's Salon.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General