NATION

PASSWORD

The NationStates Feminist Thread III

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:20 pm

Ostroeuropa wrote:
Galloism wrote:Or rather, it's only part of the story.

Sort of like if you lived on an island and determined the world is a small piece of land surrounded by water. From your perspective you're not wrong, and that certainly is part of the world, but there's so much more to the world than that.

For that to be accurate you'd have to have another island clearly visible, off in the distance, and for them to routinely assert that's merely this island from behind, while also going apeshit and destroying any boat that attempts to sail to it.

Your analogy is too charitable.

Heh, well, not all of us can see the other island. You're being too harsh.

Here's the thing - I had the same ideological blind spot for many years, even for a few years after I was raped by that woman - I didn't KNOW it was rape for a woman to drug me and have sex with me while I didn't know what was going on. That's how strong the social blind spot is. You'd think I'd have at least recognized it as a crime of some sort, but I didn't - because I was told for many years that women don't do that and men don't suffer that, so even staring me in the face it wasn't recognizable.

One of things that I struggle with is how long I lived in that blind spot, and how many things I missed. And here I am, trying to point out the blind spot for others and... often I see them do the same things I did at first. Double down, refuse to accept the data, get angry and make excuses for why the original view was correct.

Some have dubbed this the backfire effect.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Sernarbia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Aug 25, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Sernarbia » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:24 pm

Galloism wrote:
Sernarbia wrote:
The case in Israel was womens groups warning that the purposed bill could make it easier for men accused of rape to counter claim against their victims. The concerns are that the law will be misused, not that it it was purposed at ball. So your argument that feminists are pro rape falls flat on it's ass. Similar for India.

No, it's pro-rape.

Yeah, we're done here.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:26 pm

Sernarbia wrote:
Galloism wrote:
No, it's pro-rape.

Yeah, we're done here.

Bye. Have fun hanging out with people who want to make sure rape isn't a crime when the "right" sort of people do it.
Last edited by Galloism on Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Sernarbia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Aug 25, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Sernarbia » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:29 pm

Galloism wrote:
Sernarbia wrote:
Yeah, we're done here.

Bye. Have fun hanging out with people who want to make sure rape isn't a crime when the "right" sort of people do it.

:roll:

Republicans? Nah, those guys suck.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:38 pm

Sernarbia wrote:
Galloism wrote:Bye. Have fun hanging out with people who want to make sure rape isn't a crime when the "right" sort of people do it.

I dislike the Republican party as much as the next guy, provided the next guy is Bernie Sanders. There's lots of reasons for that, and they mostly align with why I dislike feminism as a movement - reactionary and not interested in equality or equal protection of the law de facto.

Giovenith
Retired Moderator

Founded: Feb 08, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Giovenith » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:44 pm

Sernarbia wrote:
Galloism wrote:Bye. Have fun hanging out with people who want to make sure rape isn't a crime when the "right" sort of people do it.

No, you.

When a person literally explains to you that they themselves are a rape victim and the actions you're defending prevents them from ever seeking justice, and your response is to backspace that entire explanation and cut it all down to a nebulous, unspecific assertion that you can just project whatever sort of meaning you want onto in order to avoid having to actually answer anything and instead rely on a self-righteous fail sassy act, feminism's reputation dies a little more.

So goodbye, so long, you are indeed most useful to the movement being "done here."
⟡ and in time, and in time, we will all be stars ⟡
she/her

Wysten
Minister

Founded: Apr 29, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Wysten » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:45 pm

Giovenith wrote:
Sernarbia wrote: :roll:

No, you.

When a person literally explains to you that they themselves are a rape victim and the actions you're defending prevents them from ever seeking justice, and your response is to backspace that entire explanation and cut it all down to a nebulous, unspecific assertion that you can just project whatever sort of meaning you want onto in order to avoid having to actually answer anything and instead rely on a self-righteous fail sassy act, feminism's reputation dies a little more.

So goodbye, so long, you are indeed most useful to the movement being "done here."

Wait feminism still had a credible reputation?
Famous qoutes
"Half the battle is fought on the OOC forums"
~ Albert Tzu, 1984
(-_Q) If you support Capitalism put this in your signature!
GENERATION 15: Social experiment. When you see this, add one to the generation and copy this into your signature.

Giovenith
Retired Moderator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Giovenith » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:46 pm

Wysten wrote:
Giovenith wrote:
No, you.

Wait feminism still had a credible reputation?

Well you can kill a zombie, can't you?
she/her

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 09, 2014
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Luminesa » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:55 pm

Sernarbia wrote:

Incredibly clever and insightful comment about Israeli politics, tell me more about how Israeli Republicans want to keep those Israeli Democrats from passing laws about rape. And don’t forget to mention those Indian Republicans and how they are keeping the Indian Republicans from passing progressive anti-rape laws.
Catholic, pro-life, and proud of it. I prefer my debates on religion, politics, and sports with some coffee and a little Aquinas and G.K. CHESTERTON here and there. :3
Unofficial #1 fan of the Who Dat Nation.
"I'm just a singer of simple songs, I'm not a real political man. I watch CNN, but I'm not sure I can tell you the difference in Iraq and Iran. But I know Jesus, and I talk to God, and I remember this from when I was young:
faith, hope and love are some good things He gave us...
and the greatest is love."
-Alan Jackson
Help the Ukrainian people, here's some sources!
Help bring home First Nation girls! Now with more ways to help!
Jesus loves all of His children in Eastern Europe - pray for peace.
Pray for Ukraine, Wear Sunflowers In Your Hair

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Founded: Mar 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:04 pm

Sernarbia wrote:
Some women have stupid views, therefore all feminists are evil and support rape.

It's not that some "stupid women" have stupid views.

Is that some "stupid women" make a large portion of the vocal discourse and are shaping the views on how we deal with many topics in regards of gender issues.

But of course, I am probably the only asshole anti-feminist misogynist noticing that. You, as a saint and an authority on all things feminism, probably know better.
Last edited by Soldati Senza Confini on Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Soldati senza confini: Better than an iPod in shuffle more with 20,000 songs.
Tekania wrote:Welcome to NSG, where informed opinions get to bump-heads with ignorant ideology under the pretense of an equal footing.

"When it’s a choice of putting food on the table, or thinking about your morals, it’s easier to say you’d think about your morals, but only if you’ve never faced that decision." - Anastasia Richardson

Current Goal: Flesh out nation factbook.

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:11 pm

Sernarbia wrote:

The partisanship is strong on this one.

Did you know that even your political rivals can be right at times, and you shouldn't judge ideas by the side saying it, but rather on its own merits?

Or did I forget to receive the memo in rhetoric and philosophy courses that the truth doesn't matter anymore as long as it is the right side saying it?
Last edited by Soldati Senza Confini on Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tekania wrote:Welcome to NSG, where informed opinions get to bump-heads with ignorant ideology under the pretense of an equal footing.

"When it’s a choice of putting food on the table, or thinking about your morals, it’s easier to say you’d think about your morals, but only if you’ve never faced that decision." - Anastasia Richardson

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:15 pm

Soldati Senza Confini wrote:Did you know that even your political rivals can be right at times, and you shouldn't judge ideas by the side saying it, but rather on its own merits?

This might be considered heresy nowadays. On many sides.

Or did I forget to receive the memo in rhetoric and philosophy courses that the truth doesn't matter anymore as long as it is the right side saying it?

Feelings are as important as facts.

New Edom
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 14, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby New Edom » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:18 pm

Giovenith wrote:
Sernarbia wrote: :roll:

No, you.

I imagine it is difficult to be a thoughtful feminist--much as it would have been difficult to be a thoughtful Christian during the revival craze from the 1980s to the early 2000s. Having some knowledge of what the ideology is about, familiar with its literature, only to have ignorant people rushing forward to show their zeal, egged on by more powerful zealots.
"The three articles of Civil Service faith: it takes longer to do things quickly, it's far more expensive to do things cheaply, and it's more democratic to do things in secret." - Jim Hacker "Yes Minister"

Wysten
Minister

Founded: Apr 29, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Wysten » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:20 pm

New Edom wrote:
Giovenith wrote:
No, you.

I imagine it is difficult to be a thoughtful feminist--much as it would have been difficult to be a thoughtful Christian during the revival craze from the 1980s to the early 2000s. Having some knowledge of what the ideology is about, familiar with its literature, only to have ignorant people rushing forward to show their zeal, egged on by more powerful zealots.

thoughtful feminist are not feminist they are called egalitarians because they realize that both genders need some help.
Famous qoutes
"Half the battle is fought on the OOC forums"
~ Albert Tzu, 1984
(-_Q) If you support Capitalism put this in your signature!
GENERATION 15: Social experiment. When you see this, add one to the generation and copy this into your signature.

Giovenith
Retired Moderator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Giovenith » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:22 pm

Soldati Senza Confini wrote:
Sernarbia wrote:
Some women have stupid views, therefore all feminists are evil and support rape.

Is that some "stupid women" make a large portion of the vocal discourse and are shaping the views on how we deal with many topics in regards of gender issues.

But of course, I am probably the only asshole anti-feminist misogynist noticing that. You, as a saint and an authority on all things feminism, probably know better.

This is the part your post gets cut down to before being responded to with a snide "Yes you are!" and a victorious strut.
she/her

Crysuko
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Crysuko » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:25 pm

Wysten wrote:
New Edom wrote:

thoughtful feminist are not feminist they are called egalitarians because they realize that both genders need some help.

B-B-BUT MUH PATRIARCHY
Quotes:
Xilonite wrote: cookies are heresy.

Kelinfort wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:A terrorist attack on a disabled center doesn't make a lot of sense, unless to show no one is safe.

This will take some time to figure out, i am afraid.

"No one is safe, not even your most vulnerable and insecure!"

Cesopium wrote:Welp let's hope armies of 10 million don't just roam around and Soviet their way through everything.

Yugoslav Memes wrote:
Victoriala II wrote:Ur mom has value

one week ban for flaming xd

Dumb Ideologies wrote:Much better than the kulak smoothies. Their texture was suspiciously grainy.

Official thread euthanologist
I USE Qs INSTEAD OF Qs

New Edom
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby New Edom » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:25 pm

Wysten wrote:
New Edom wrote:

Well, certainly they get called out for being anti-feminist, rape apologists, etc. Idiot celebrities and corrupt journalists join in the hue and cry and further poison the well.
"The three articles of Civil Service faith: it takes longer to do things quickly, it's far more expensive to do things cheaply, and it's more democratic to do things in secret." - Jim Hacker "Yes Minister"

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:26 pm

Giovenith wrote:
Soldati Senza Confini wrote:

This is the part your post gets cut down to before being responded to with a snide "Yes you are!" and a victorious strut.

Alright that made me laugh :lol2:

New Edom
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby New Edom » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:29 pm

Crysuko wrote:
Wysten wrote:thoughtful feminist are not feminist they are called egalitarians because they realize that both genders need some help.

B-B-BUT MUH PATRIARCHY

What are you saying? Are you saying that there is fair discussion and debate when popular feminist assertions are challenged? Such as, for instance, the campus rape crisis hoax that the media got people stirred up about and which feminist activists and politicians insisted needed enormous funding and response? Or the blackballing of feminists who proposed different responses to concerns about sexual assault than urging awareness of rape culture?

It is interesting, isn't it, that one of the assertions of popular feminist leaders is 'believe women' but when women say things that are unpopular in the movement that they are treated as though they are liars and delusional? Are you saying that you find the treatment of such women acceptable?

The Grene Knyght
Minister

Founded: May 07, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Grene Knyght » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:30 pm

From the content of the recent posts, one could be forgiven for thinking (as many new posters seem to do) that this thread would be more aptly named the anti-feminist thread
[_★_]
(◕‿◕)
Socialist Women wrote:Part of the reason you're an anarchist is because you ate too much expired food
Claorica wrote:Oh look, an antifa ancom being smartaleck
Old Tyrannia wrote:Bold words from the self-declared Leninist
Currently
Reading
2015: x=-8.75,y=-6.56
2016: x=-8.88,y=-9.54
2017: x=-9.63,y=-9.90
2018: x=-9.88,y=-9.23
2019: x=-10.0,y=-9.90
2020: x=-10.0,y=-10.0
2021: x=-10.0,y=-10.0

PRO: Socialism, Communism, Internationalism, Revolution, Leninism.
NEUTRAL: Anarchism, Marxism-Leninism.
ANTI: Capitalism, Liberalism, Nationalism, Fascists, Hyper-Sectarian Leftists.
Portal Nationalist | Proletarian Moralist

Giovenith
Retired Moderator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Giovenith » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:32 pm

New Edom wrote:
Wysten wrote:thoughtful feminist are not feminist they are called egalitarians because they realize that both genders need some help.

Well, certainly they get called out for being anti-feminist, rape apologists, etc. Idiot celebrities and corrupt journalists join in the hue and cry and further poison the well.

We get called out for being moles sent out by the patriarchy to masquerade as the enemy and bring down feminism from within, which somehow feels more insulting to me, personally. Probably because the people doing so were the type of girls who rolled their eyes at me whenever I talked about feminism before going back to gabbing about hair and boys, up until we all went to college where suddenly they became all super-woke-enlightened and now want to lecture me like I'm the one who was living in the dark the whole time.
she/her

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:35 pm

Giovenith wrote:
New Edom wrote:

We get called out for being moles sent out by the patriarchy to masquerade as the enemy and bring down feminism from within, which somehow feels more insulting to me, personally. Probably because the people doing so were the type of girls who rolled their eyes at me whenever I talked about feminism before going back to gabbing about hair and boys, up until we all went to college where suddenly they became all super-woke-enlightened and now want to lecture me like I'm the one who was living in the dark the whole time.

Did you happen to go to the same school I did? Because I swear I've had this happen to me before.

New Edom
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby New Edom » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:35 pm

The Grene Knyght wrote:From the content of the recent posts, one could be forgiven for thinking (as many new posters seem to do) that this thread would be more aptly named the anti-feminist thread

That's ironic, since when you really think about it the MRM is actually not saying that feminism' as a movement should not exist at all, but rather that it should fulfill its promises without lashing out at anyone who questions its policies. No ideology or organization should be above being questioned or having its ideas debated.

Crysuko
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Crysuko » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:36 pm

New Edom wrote:
Crysuko wrote:B-B-BUT MUH PATRIARCHY

What are you saying? Are you saying that there is fair discussion and debate when popular feminist assertions are challenged? Such as, for instance, the campus rape crisis hoax that the media got people stirred up about and which feminist activists and politicians insisted needed enormous funding and response? Or the blackballing of feminists who proposed different responses to concerns about sexual assault than urging awareness of rape culture?

It is interesting, isn't it, that one of the assertions of popular feminist leaders is 'believe women' but when women say things that are unpopular in the movement that they are treated as though they are liars and delusional? Are you saying that you find the treatment of such women acceptable?

you may over overthought this a lot little. I am mocking the misandrists who look at society ills, put a "PATRIARCHY!1!" sticker on it and call it a day
Quotes:
Xilonite wrote: cookies are heresy.

Kelinfort wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:A terrorist attack on a disabled center doesn't make a lot of sense, unless to show no one is safe.

This will take some time to figure out, i am afraid.

"No one is safe, not even your most vulnerable and insecure!"

Cesopium wrote:Welp let's hope armies of 10 million don't just roam around and Soviet their way through everything.

Yugoslav Memes wrote:
Victoriala II wrote:Ur mom has value

one week ban for flaming xd

Dumb Ideologies wrote:Much better than the kulak smoothies. Their texture was suspiciously grainy.

Official thread euthanologist
I USE Qs INSTEAD OF Qs

New Edom
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby New Edom » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:36 pm

Giovenith wrote:
New Edom wrote:

How often have you found that such people actually read any feminist theory to any degree? To what extent have they read any feminist science fiction even?

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General