NATION

PASSWORD

Trump MAGAThread IV: Twixt Scylla & Some Bad Hombres

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Northern Davincia
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 10, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Davincia » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:53 pm

Gauthier wrote:
Northern Davincia wrote:
It sounds downright brilliant in comparison to the ACA.

So companies are allowed to once again sell worthless "insurance" to people who can't afford the Platinum Package which of course will never cover whatever ailment befalls them. And HSAs? Just begging to be plundered when Trump or whoever thinks nobody's watching.

The sad reality of life is that there will always be a select few who cannot afford health insurance, whether under this plan or under the ACA. Negligible losses. I save money.
As for plundering, that is pure conjecture.
Hoppean Libertarian, Acolyte of von Mises, Protector of Our Sacred Liberties
Economic Left/Right: 9.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.05
Conserative Morality wrote:"Two gin-scented tears trickled down the sides of his nose. But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Hoppe."

Gauthier
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:54 pm

Northern Davincia wrote:
Gauthier wrote:So companies are allowed to once again sell worthless "insurance" to people who can't afford the Platinum Package which of course will never cover whatever ailment befalls them. And HSAs? Just begging to be plundered when Trump or whoever thinks nobody's watching.

The sad reality of life is that there will always be a select few who cannot afford health insurance, whether under this plan or under the ACA. Negligible losses. I save money.

You can tell much about somebody who dismisses the unfortunate as statistics such as "negligible losses".
Crimes committed by Muslims will be a pan-Islamic plot and proof of Islam's inherent evil. On the other hand crimes committed by non-Muslims will merely be the acts of loners who do not represent their belief system at all.
The probability of one's participation in homosexual acts is directly proportional to one's public disdain and disgust for homosexuals.
If a political figure makes an accusation of wrongdoing without evidence, odds are probable that the accuser or an associate thereof has in fact committed the very same act, possibly to a worse degree.
Where is your God-Emperor now?

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Founded: Mar 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:54 pm

Northern Davincia wrote:
Gauthier wrote:So companies are allowed to once again sell worthless "insurance" to people who can't afford the Platinum Package which of course will never cover whatever ailment befalls them. And HSAs? Just begging to be plundered when Trump or whoever thinks nobody's watching.

You're actually not going to be saving much if the Republicans fuck it up.

In fact, you might end up spending more money, rather than saving any.

The fact is, we don't know anything about the replacement plan of the Republicans to say anything yet.
Last edited by Soldati Senza Confini on Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Soldati senza confini: Better than an iPod in shuffle more with 20,000 songs.
Tekania wrote:Welcome to NSG, where informed opinions get to bump-heads with ignorant ideology under the pretense of an equal footing.

"When it’s a choice of putting food on the table, or thinking about your morals, it’s easier to say you’d think about your morals, but only if you’ve never faced that decision." - Anastasia Richardson

Current Goal: Flesh out nation factbook.

Gauthier
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:55 pm

Soldati Senza Confini wrote:
Northern Davincia wrote:The sad reality of life is that there will always be a select few who cannot afford health insurance, whether under this plan or under the ACA. Negligible losses. I save money.

You're actually not going to be saving much if the Republicans fuck it up.

In fact, you might end up spending more money, rather than saving any.

Negligible losses. *nod*
Crimes committed by Muslims will be a pan-Islamic plot and proof of Islam's inherent evil. On the other hand crimes committed by non-Muslims will merely be the acts of loners who do not represent their belief system at all.
The probability of one's participation in homosexual acts is directly proportional to one's public disdain and disgust for homosexuals.
If a political figure makes an accusation of wrongdoing without evidence, odds are probable that the accuser or an associate thereof has in fact committed the very same act, possibly to a worse degree.
Where is your God-Emperor now?

Hittanryan
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 10, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Hittanryan » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:56 pm

Northern Davincia wrote:

Yeah it's not like every other developed nation has a way of providing health coverage to their entire populations. We really have to just accept that people will die of preventable diseases because they can't afford treatment in the wealthiest nation on Earth.
In-character name of the nation is "Adiron," because I like the name better.

Camicon
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Camicon » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:56 pm

Northern Davincia wrote:

The US spends proportionally more on healthcare than every other developed state that has single-payer.

1. Switch to single-payer
2. Cover everyone
3. Save money
4. Profit
Hey/They
Active since May, 2009
Country of glowing hearts, and patrons of the arts
Help me out
Star spangled madness, united sadness
Count me out
The Trews, Under The Sun
No human is more human than any other. - Lieutenant-General Roméo Antonius Dallaire
Don't shine for swine. - Metric, Soft Rock Star
Love is hell. Hell is love. Hell is asking to be loved. - Emily Haines and the Soft Skeleton, Detective Daughter

Why (Male) Rape Is Hilarious [because it has to be]

Hittanryan
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Hittanryan » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:58 pm

Camicon wrote:
Northern Davincia wrote:The sad reality of life is that there will always be a select few who cannot afford health insurance, whether under this plan or under the ACA. Negligible losses. I save money.

The US spends proportionally more on healthcare than every other developed state that has single-payer.

2. Cover everyone
3. Save money
4. Profit

Realistically, switching to single-payer would actually be step 2, after step 1: campaign finance reform. We're stuck with a garbage healthcare system because our politicians get bought off by the health insurance and pharmaceutical industries.

Northern Davincia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Davincia » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:59 pm

Gauthier wrote:

You can tell much about somebody who dismisses the unfortunate as statistics such as "negligible losses".

My only concern is that the statistic is less severe than the 6 million who lost their insurance under the ACA.
Camicon wrote:

2. Cover everyone
3. Save money
4. Profit

I'm guessing you haven't watched the Cruz v. Sanders debate on this subject. I would prefer healthcare in America not being rationed or have people on waiting lists, not to mention receiving less overall care.
Conserative Morality wrote:"Two gin-scented tears trickled down the sides of his nose. But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Hoppe."

Camicon
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Camicon » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:00 pm

Northern Davincia wrote:
Camicon wrote:The US spends proportionally more on healthcare than every other developed state that has single-payer.

2. Cover everyone
3. Save money
4. Profit

I'm guessing you haven't watched the Cruz v. Sanders debate on this subject. I would prefer healthcare in America not being rationed or have people on waiting lists, not to mention receiving less overall care.

What a stupid argument. You know what's worse than having to wait for care?

Not being afford it in the first place.
Last edited by Camicon on Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hey/They
Active since May, 2009
Help me out
Count me out
The Trews, Under The Sun
No human is more human than any other. - Lieutenant-General Roméo Antonius Dallaire
Love is hell. Hell is love. Hell is asking to be loved. - Emily Haines and the Soft Skeleton, Detective Daughter

Hittanryan
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Hittanryan » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:01 pm

Northern Davincia wrote:
Camicon wrote:The US spends proportionally more on healthcare than every other developed state that has single-payer.

2. Cover everyone
3. Save money
4. Profit

You completely ignored his point: we pay MORE for WORSE access to healthcare. Waiting for treatment is preferable to dying from a total lack of treatment. Your response might as well have been a non-sequitur.
Last edited by Hittanryan on Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:02 pm

Northern Davincia wrote:I'm guessing you haven't watched the Cruz v. Sanders debate on this subject. I would prefer healthcare in America not being rationed or have people on waiting lists, not to mention receiving less overall care.

Two politicians debating on it means nothing to me.

They're neither financial nor economic experts. They want your vote, not for you to be informed.
Tekania wrote:Welcome to NSG, where informed opinions get to bump-heads with ignorant ideology under the pretense of an equal footing.

"When it’s a choice of putting food on the table, or thinking about your morals, it’s easier to say you’d think about your morals, but only if you’ve never faced that decision." - Anastasia Richardson

Northern Davincia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Davincia » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:02 pm

Camicon wrote:
Northern Davincia wrote:I'm guessing you haven't watched the Cruz v. Sanders debate on this subject. I would prefer healthcare in America not being rationed or have people on waiting lists, not to mention receiving less overall care.

What a stupid argument. You know what's worse than having to wait for care?

What's the difference when you'll either get far sicker (to the point where you're practically untreatable or it becomes ludicrously expensive) or dead in the long-run?

Camicon
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Camicon » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:03 pm

Northern Davincia wrote:
Camicon wrote:What a stupid argument. You know what's worse than having to wait for care?

What's the difference when you'll either get far sicker (to the point where you're practically untreatable or it becomes ludicrously expensive) or dead in the long-run?

Do you see that happening on the regular in Canada, or the UK?

No. The answer is no.

Again, stupid fucking argument.
Last edited by Camicon on Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hey/They
Active since May, 2009
Help me out
Count me out
The Trews, Under The Sun

The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 18, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:03 pm

Atlanticatia wrote:http://edition.cnn.com/2017/02/16/politics/donald-trump-news-conference-anti-semitism/index.html?sr=fbCNN021717donald-trump-news-conference-anti-semitism1230AMStoryLink&linkId=34593151

"In response to a question Thursday about threats to Jewish centers nationwide, President Donald Trump called a Jewish reporter a liar, told him to sit down and later said anti-Semitism was coming from "the other side.""

This is disgusting and the way he handled this completely dismissed the Jewish community's entirely valid concerns about an uptick in hate crimes, hate speech, and other incidents of an anti-semitic nature. I don't know if Trump is personally anti-semitic, but he truly does not care about anyone other than white, Christian men.

Yeah, this is bad.

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:04 pm

Northern Davincia wrote:
Camicon wrote:What a stupid argument. You know what's worse than having to wait for care?

That depends on how you manage the system.

Nobody is saying that you should wait for your medical treatment. This is something about medical insurance. Single-payer medical insurance is not the same as government-administrated hospitals. While they're both part of the medical industry, one is how are hospitals getting paid and how they are funded, while the other is how hospitals are run.

Hittanryan
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Hittanryan » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:05 pm

Northern Davincia wrote:

Let me get this straight: instead of wait times in some (not all) single-payer healthcare systems which can sometimes be too long, you'd prefer certain death due to your insurance company denying you coverage at all?
Last edited by Hittanryan on Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:06 pm

Camicon wrote:
Northern Davincia wrote:What's the difference when you'll either get far sicker (to the point where you're practically untreatable or it becomes ludicrously expensive) or dead in the long-run?

No. The answer is no.

Not to mention that argument is irrelevant to the part of the system being discussed.

Single-payer system, at least as far as it is understood, means publicly funded insurance or hospitals. This is not the same as to how hospitals are administrated. You can have a privately-managed, publicly-funded hospital. See: Parkland medical system. So far as I understand it, your system is the same, publicly funded and privately managed, no?
Last edited by Soldati Senza Confini on Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

Founded: Oct 01, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:07 pm

Camicon wrote:Do you see that happening on the regular in Canada, or the UK?

No. The answer is no.

Not to mention that argument is irrelevant to the part of the system being discussed.

Single-payer system, at least as far as it is understood, means publicly funded insurance or hospitals. This is not the same as to how hospitals are administrated. You can have a privately-managed, publicly-funded hospital. See: Parkland medical system.

I just wish they would allow medicare to negotiate prices. As one of the biggest buyers they would have a great deal of power to affect prices, and them being allowed to negotiate prices means they could actually end up reducing government spending.
Last edited by Neutraligon on Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you want to call me by a nickname, call me Gon...or NS Batman.
Mod stuff: One Stop Rules Shop | Reppy's Sig Workshop | Getting Help Request
Just A Little though

Corrian
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 19, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Corrian » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:08 pm

I would rather wait than die because I couldn't afford it.

...As long as I don't die waiting, of course.
My Last.FM and RYM

Look on the bright side, one day you'll be dead~Street Sects

Hittanryan
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Hittanryan » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:08 pm

Neutraligon wrote:

Single-payer system, at least as far as it is understood, means publicly funded insurance or hospitals. This is not the same as to how hospitals are administrated. You can have a privately-managed, publicly-funded hospital. See: Parkland medical system.

I just wish they would allow medicare to negotiate prices. As one of the biggest buyers they would have a great deal of power to affect prices, and them being allowed to negotiate prices means they could actually end up reducing government spending.

Can't do that. Republicans get campaign contributions from the pharmaceutical industry.

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

Founded: Oct 01, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:09 pm

Hittanryan wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:

Can't do that. Republicans get campaign contributions from the pharmaceutical industry.

But the savings. You could actually cut government spending.
If you want to call me by a nickname, call me Gon...or NS Batman.
Mod stuff: One Stop Rules Shop | Reppy's Sig Workshop | Getting Help Request
Just A Little though

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:12 pm

Hittanryan wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:

The whole "waiting time" scare tactic deployed by Republicans is just that, a scare tactic.

The medical system in the United States is not going to worsen if the hospital gets paid through a public fund rather than a private one. The waiting time is a thing of the Canadian healthcare system and its bureaucracy to get referrals done in general, and not from the type of funding employed.
Last edited by Soldati Senza Confini on Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hittanryan
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Hittanryan » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:14 pm

Neutraligon wrote:
Hittanryan wrote:Can't do that. Republicans get campaign contributions from the pharmaceutical industry.

But the savings. You could actually cut government spending.

Republicans don't actually care about government spending. They might campaign on it, but as soon as they get in power they inevitably cut taxes on the rich, borrow tons of money, and start spending money like it's going out of style. That's how you get Reagan and W. Bush style deficits.

They care about getting reelected, however. That means keeping their donors happy.

Northern Davincia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Davincia » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:16 pm

Camicon wrote:
Northern Davincia wrote:What's the difference when you'll either get far sicker (to the point where you're practically untreatable or it becomes ludicrously expensive) or dead in the long-run?

No. The answer is no.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... ting-lists
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/windsor/e ... -1.2997726
The mere existence of waiting lists ought to raise some suspicions of the aforementioned possibilities. I'll find more information as I go along.
Hittanryan wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:

And Democrats don't?
Hittanryan wrote:

Let me get this straight: instead of wait times in some (not all) single-payer healthcare systems which can sometimes be too long, you'd prefer certain death due to your insurance company denying you coverage at all?

Considering I don't believe healthcare is a right, yes, death is preferable on the basis of principle.
Last edited by Northern Davincia on Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Corrian
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 19, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Corrian » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:16 pm

"Fiscally responsible"

"Approves $20,000,000,000 wall"
My Last.FM and RYM

Look on the bright side, one day you'll be dead~Street Sects

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads