NATION

PASSWORD

Trump MAGAThread IV: Twixt Scylla & Some Bad Hombres

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

User avatar
Seangoli
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5166
Founded: Sep 24, 2006
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Seangoli » Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:05 am

Galloism wrote:
Seangoli wrote:
The best reason I've ever heard from anybody on the subject as to why we shouldn't have it is that financial advisers will work in their clients best interest anyway, as that will tend to make the most money. Thus making the rule unnecessary, and needlessly difficult to comply with.

The problem is, of course, that there are people who know the system well enough to figure out a means in which their clients are getting shafted, but they come out ahead.

Well, what the rule effectively does is prohibit self-dealing or churning.

But given trump has been caught himself self-dealing to the shareholders detriment, it's no surprise he would be against rules prohibiting actions like his.


I would not doubt if he moves to make it so corporations can legally decide to not pay their debtors while circumventing the bankruptcy process. Because it helps businesses!

On a serious note, for someone who said he was going to get tough on Wall Street, this move seems like it's just the sort of wet-dream that sleazy Wall Streeters love. It's also absolutely terrible.
Last edited by Seangoli on Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Galloism
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 56130
Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:17 am

Seangoli wrote:
Galloism wrote:Well, what the rule effectively does is prohibit self-dealing or churning.

But given trump has been caught himself self-dealing to the shareholders detriment, it's no surprise he would be against rules prohibiting actions like his.


I would not doubt if he moves to make it so corporations can legally decide to not pay their debtors while circumventing the bankruptcy process. Because it helps businesses!

On a serious note, for someone who said he was going to get tough on Wall Street, this move seems like it's just the sort of wet-dream that sleazy Wall Streeters love. It's also absolutely terrible.

Being fair, I'm not sure this rule has much of anything to do with Wall Street other than pure incidentals.

Mostly, it was targeted at local financial advisors, employer retirement overseers, etc. it was intended to prevent agents selling their own worthless stock (especially worthless company stock) or similar to retirement accounts they do not own but do control.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.


User avatar
Oil exporting People
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 8281
Founded: Jan 31, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Oil exporting People » Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:23 am

The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp wrote:No Iraq war, no ISIS.


Correct, if only because Ansar al-Islam is likely to choose another name. Post-Desert Storm, Iraq was destined to be a disaster irregardless of US actions but President Bush probably saved more lives in the long term by doing the invasion.
Last edited by Oil exporting People on Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
National Syndicalist
“The blood of the heroes is closer to God than the ink of the philosophers and the prayers of the faithful.” - Julius Evola
Endorsing Greg "Grab 'em by the Neck" Gianforte and Brett "I Like Beer" Kavanaugh for 2020

User avatar
Valaran
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 21210
Founded: May 25, 2014
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Valaran » Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:26 am

Cedoria wrote:
Valaran wrote:
Without wanting to derail, but while Cicero had an outsized notion of his role in the conspiracy, he is not the only source for Catiline's actions. The most complete account of the Conspiracy comes from Sallust and it was hard for Cicerco to have have fabricated that account.

Sallust's account uses Cicero's own writings as one of its chief sources...


And yet Sallust also has a heavily diminished role for Cicero in his account; clearly it wasn't his overriding source, and regardless, the conspiracy was very much a violent and non-fabricated affair with or without Cicero 'saving the day'.
I used to run an alliance, and a region. Not that it matters now.
Archeuland and Baughistan wrote:"I don't always nice, but when I do, I build it up." Valaran
Valaran wrote:To be fair though.... I was judging on coolness factor, the most important criteria in any war.
Zoboyizakoplayoklot wrote:Val: NS's resident mindless zombie
Planita wrote:you just set the OP on fire

User avatar
Hurdergaryp
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 28436
Founded: Jul 10, 2016
Democratic Socialists

Postby Hurdergaryp » Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:55 am

I have just been checking the news in order to see if today there would be yet another blunder, disgrace or other minor disaster courtesy of the current administration, and once again I wasn't disappointed. Or should I say that I was disappointed once more? Anyway, the "Bowling Green Massacre" is another magnificent example of "alternative facts" doing what they do best. Is this infernal chucklefuckery seriously going on for four motherfucking years? Seriously?

User avatar
Alvecia
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 17462
Founded: Aug 17, 2015
Democratic Socialists

Postby Alvecia » Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:57 am

Hurdergaryp wrote:I have just been checking the news in order to see if today there would be yet another blunder, disgrace or other minor disaster courtesy of the current administration, and once again I wasn't disappointed. Or should I say that I was disappointed once more? Anyway, the "Bowling Green Massacre" is another magnificent example of "alternative facts" doing what they do best. Is this infernal chucklefuckery seriously going on for four motherfucking years? Seriously?

Fucking lol
British
Atheist
IT Support
That there is no exception to the rule "There is an exception to every rule" is the exception that proves the rule.
---
Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he'll stop asking you to catch his fish.
That's not happening
That shouldn't be happening
Why is that happening?
That's why it's happening?
How has this ever worked?

User avatar
Galloism
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 56130
Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:57 am

Hurdergaryp wrote:I have just been checking the news in order to see if today there would be yet another blunder, disgrace or other minor disaster courtesy of the current administration, and once again I wasn't disappointed. Or should I say that I was disappointed once more? Anyway, the "Bowling Green Massacre" is another magnificent example of "alternative facts" doing what they do best. Is this infernal chucklefuckery seriously going on for four motherfucking years? Seriously?

Buckle up. Random bullshit out of Trump & Co can't be stopped now.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.


User avatar
Ashmoria
Post Czar
 
Posts: 46718
Founded: Mar 19, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Ashmoria » Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:58 am

Hurdergaryp wrote:I have just been checking the news in order to see if today there would be yet another blunder, disgrace or other minor disaster courtesy of the current administration, and once again I wasn't disappointed. Or should I say that I was disappointed once more? Anyway, the "Bowling Green Massacre" is another magnificent example of "alternative facts" doing what they do best. Is this infernal chucklefuckery seriously going on for four motherfucking years? Seriously?

that is so yesterday.

its only 11 am in washinton, give it time for today's disgrace.
whatever

User avatar
Hurdergaryp
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 28436
Founded: Jul 10, 2016
Democratic Socialists

Postby Hurdergaryp » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:15 am

Galloism wrote:
Hurdergaryp wrote:I have just been checking the news in order to see if today there would be yet another blunder, disgrace or other minor disaster courtesy of the current administration, and once again I wasn't disappointed. Or should I say that I was disappointed once more? Anyway, the "Bowling Green Massacre" is another magnificent example of "alternative facts" doing what they do best. Is this infernal chucklefuckery seriously going on for four motherfucking years? Seriously?

Buckle up. Random bullshit out of Trump & Co can't be stopped now.

As long as Wall Street soars, they'll merrily continue to do these things they do so depressingly well. Let's see how much instability can be enforced by them before the international stock markets get real nervous.

User avatar
Frank Zipper
Senator
 
Posts: 4207
Founded: Nov 16, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Frank Zipper » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:23 am

Great Nepal wrote:So we're gonna get a transparent wall, made of sensors and other technologies. Although i'm not entirely clear on what technology autonomously identifies an illegal Mexicans crossing a border and not say a dog walking across one.


The technology exists, and it works - as long as the dog isn't wearing a sombrero.
Put this in your signature if you are easily led.

User avatar
Gravlen
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 10862
Founded: Jul 01, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Gravlen » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:37 am

Ashmoria wrote:
Hurdergaryp wrote:I have just been checking the news in order to see if today there would be yet another blunder, disgrace or other minor disaster courtesy of the current administration, and once again I wasn't disappointed. Or should I say that I was disappointed once more? Anyway, the "Bowling Green Massacre" is another magnificent example of "alternative facts" doing what they do best. Is this infernal chucklefuckery seriously going on for four motherfucking years? Seriously?

that is so yesterday.

its only 11 am in washinton, give it time for today's disgrace.

The famous Bowling Green Massacre is yesterday's news. Today it's all about the Cricket Blue Carnage. Tomorrow it'll be about the Curling Yellow Annihilation.
EnragedMaldivians wrote:That's preposterous. Gravlens's not a white nationalist; Gravlen's a penguin.

Unio de Sovetaj Socialismaj Respublikoj wrote:There is no use arguing the definition of murder with someone who has a picture of a penguin with a chainsaw as their nations flag.

User avatar
The Alma Mater
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 16234
Founded: May 23, 2004
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby The Alma Mater » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:42 am

Hurdergaryp wrote:I have just been checking the news in order to see if today there would be yet another blunder, disgrace or other minor disaster courtesy of the current administration, and once again I wasn't disappointed. Or should I say that I was disappointed once more? Anyway, the "Bowling Green Massacre" is another magnificent example of "alternative facts" doing what they do best. Is this infernal chucklefuckery seriously going on for four motherfucking years? Seriously?


On the upside: the "America first, Netherlands second" spoof vid has inspired several European countries to make a similar vid.
Good for a few chuckles :)

http://www.everysecondcounts.eu/ (when it is not down :P)
Last edited by The Alma Mater on Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
- Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

User avatar
Camicon
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 14376
Founded: Aug 26, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Camicon » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:54 am

Lavochkin wrote:
Camicon wrote:
"Converting kids" is bad because "people like X" did so implies that the action itself is bad, and not that the one specific instance of it is bad because of the group doing the "converting".

And civil unrest is not the same thing as violence, even if they sometimes go hand-in-hand. Saying "violence is trending downwards" is does not ignore "the other half".

You can't imply something if I don't clearly say it. I said "Things we consider evil..." tried to convert kids, I never said converting kids was wrong, I just said that groups who we considered evil usually try converting kids (almost always). You're now just assuming, and we all know that "assuming makes you an ass" pun or whatever so I'll spare you that.

Violence is a general category, yes it's fine to say it's going down. But if you say violence is going down while the person behind is pushing over cars and beating up Trump supporters, it kinda makes you look an idiot, so yes, you would be ignoring the other half. "Criminal violence" is going down would be more correct

You don't know what the word "imply" means, do you? Go look it up, I'll wait. In the meantime, I'll enjoy the hypocrisy of you saying "we all know that assuming makes you an ass, so I'm not going to say it" - tread that line carefully, I've seen folks warned for less.

And you must know that "pushing over cars and beating up Trump supporters" is categorized as violence, yes? There is no differentiation between "violence" and "criminal violence", because violence is criminal. You are aware that, regardless of how people feel about violence in America, despite what the corporate media or alt-right propaganda machine says, violence is still trending downward, yes? To say as much does not make me look like an idiot, it makes me look like someone that values facts over opinions. Do you not? If so then you'll find yourself in good company in Trump's camp.
Active since May, 2009
Country of glowing hearts, and patrons of the arts
Help me out
Star spangled madness, united sadness
Count me out
The Trews, Under The Sun
No human is more human than any other. - Lieutenant-General Roméo Antonius Dallaire
Don't shine for swine. - Metric, Soft Rock Star
Love is hell. Hell is love. Hell is asking to be loved. - Emily Haines and the Soft Skeleton, Detective Daughter

Why (Male) Rape Is Hilarious [because it has to be]

User avatar
Lady Scylla
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 15303
Founded: Nov 22, 2015
New York Times Democracy

Postby Lady Scylla » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:59 am

Hurdergaryp wrote:I have just been checking the news in order to see if today there would be yet another blunder, disgrace or other minor disaster courtesy of the current administration, and once again I wasn't disappointed. Or should I say that I was disappointed once more? Anyway, the "Bowling Green Massacre" is another magnificent example of "alternative facts" doing what they do best. Is this infernal chucklefuckery seriously going on for four motherfucking years? Seriously?


The worst part about it. I can't drink anymore.

User avatar
Maichuko
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1504
Founded: May 02, 2015
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Maichuko » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:06 am

Trump's is pushing for Sanctions to be put back on Iran.
Sometimes were in the world war 2 era, sometimes were in the modern day.
Question:Whats the Empire ever done for me?
Answer:What have you ever done for the Empire?
Long Live the Emperor of all Maichins! May he live 100 years!
(V)(;,,;)(V) woop woop woop woop

User avatar
Great Confederacy of Commonwealth States
P2TM RP Mentor
 
Posts: 16505
Founded: Feb 20, 2012
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Great Confederacy of Commonwealth States » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:07 am

Maichuko wrote:Trump's is pushing for Sanctions to be put back on Iran.

Thus violating the terms of the treaty made by Obama, giving Iran full control over her own nuclear program. After they tested new ballistic missiles.
The name's James. James Usari. Well, my name is not actually James Usari, so don't bother actually looking it up, but it'll do for now.

Lack of a real name means compensation through a real face. My debt is settled


Part-time Kebab tycoon in Glasgow.

User avatar
Lady Scylla
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 15303
Founded: Nov 22, 2015
New York Times Democracy

Postby Lady Scylla » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:12 am

Great Confederacy Of Commonwealth States wrote:
Maichuko wrote:Trump's is pushing for Sanctions to be put back on Iran.

Thus violating the terms of the treaty made by Obama, giving Iran full control over her own nuclear program. After they tested new ballistic missiles.


It's times like this where I'm glad that, if a war broke out, not even a draft would take me.

User avatar
Maichuko
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1504
Founded: May 02, 2015
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Maichuko » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:17 am

Trump's choosing weird targets. I figured the country he'd be trying to strongarm the most was Cuba, to please his Cuban American supporters.
Sometimes were in the world war 2 era, sometimes were in the modern day.
Question:Whats the Empire ever done for me?
Answer:What have you ever done for the Empire?
Long Live the Emperor of all Maichins! May he live 100 years!
(V)(;,,;)(V) woop woop woop woop

User avatar
Tekeristan
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5127
Founded: Mar 08, 2015
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Tekeristan » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:26 am

Lady Scylla wrote:
Great Confederacy Of Commonwealth States wrote:Thus violating the terms of the treaty made by Obama, giving Iran full control over her own nuclear program. After they tested new ballistic missiles.


It's times like this where I'm glad that, if a war broke out, not even a draft would take me.

I'm too young to draft! D:
Too pretty and too.. I dunno.

Had we no learn from the wargames?
Last edited by Tekeristan on Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Cymrea
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 8574
Founded: Feb 10, 2006
Democratic Socialists

Postby Cymrea » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:26 am

Gravlen wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:that is so yesterday.

its only 11 am in washinton, give it time for today's disgrace.

The famous Bowling Green Massacre is yesterday's news. Today it's all about the Cricket Blue Carnage. Tomorrow it'll be about the Curling Yellow Annihilation.

Ladies and gentlemen...Mrs. Conway Twitter. [applause in Grand Ol' Opry]
Pronounced: [KIM]-ree-ah. Formerly the Empire of Thakandar, founded December 2002. IIWiki | Factbook | Royal Cymrean Forces
Proud patron of: Halcyon Arms and of their Cymrea-class drone carrier
Storefronts: Ravendyne Defence Industries | Bank of Cymrea | Pork Place BBQ
Puppets: Persica Prime (W40K), Winter Bastion (SW), Malifaux City (Malifaux), Atramentar
✎ Member - ℘ædagog | Cheese Sandwich is best Pony | 1870 (2.0) United Kingdom of Cambria
SEATTLE SEAHAWKS OREGON DUCKS

User avatar
Ashmoria
Post Czar
 
Posts: 46718
Founded: Mar 19, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Ashmoria » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:48 am

Lady Scylla wrote:
Hurdergaryp wrote:I have just been checking the news in order to see if today there would be yet another blunder, disgrace or other minor disaster courtesy of the current administration, and once again I wasn't disappointed. Or should I say that I was disappointed once more? Anyway, the "Bowling Green Massacre" is another magnificent example of "alternative facts" doing what they do best. Is this infernal chucklefuckery seriously going on for four motherfucking years? Seriously?


The worst part about it. I can't drink anymore.

getting drunk would just lead to a beer bottle sticking out of your tv screen.

marijuana is the answer. you wont care or you wont remember.
whatever

User avatar
Lady Scylla
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 15303
Founded: Nov 22, 2015
New York Times Democracy

Postby Lady Scylla » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:51 am

Ashmoria wrote:
Lady Scylla wrote:
The worst part about it. I can't drink anymore.

getting drunk would just lead to a beer bottle sticking out of your tv screen.

marijuana is the answer. you wont care or you wont remember.


Id need to wait for them to legalise it here, sadly.

User avatar
Tekeristan
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5127
Founded: Mar 08, 2015
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Tekeristan » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:53 am

Lady Scylla wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:getting drunk would just lead to a beer bottle sticking out of your tv screen.

marijuana is the answer. you wont care or you wont remember.


Id need to wait for them to legalise it here, sadly.

Just have some family in Colorado

User avatar
Ashmoria
Post Czar
 
Posts: 46718
Founded: Mar 19, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Ashmoria » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:54 am

Maichuko wrote:Trump's is pushing for Sanctions to be put back on Iran.

I just don't see that happening. US sanctions, yes, the rest of the world, no.
whatever

User avatar
Juristonia
Senator
 
Posts: 3728
Founded: Oct 30, 2006
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Juristonia » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:54 am

Maichuko wrote:Trump's choosing weird targets. I figured the country he'd be trying to strongarm the most was Cuba, to please his Cuban American supporters.

He can only piss off so many countries a day.
Give it a week or so.
Damn the man! Save the Empire!
Free Soviets wrote:facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!

Liriena wrote:Say what you will about fascists: they are remarkably consistent even after several decades of failing spectacularly elsewhere.

Geniasis wrote:Cite anything to back this up. Please. Even if it's in crayon. Even if all you're supporting is that period at the end of your sentence. Give something concrete.

Ifreann wrote:Indeed, as far as I can recall only one poster has ever supported legalising bestiality, and he was fucking his cat and isn't welcome here any more, in no small part, I imagine, because he kept going on about how he was fucking his cat.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: An Alan Smithee Nation, Druulis, Gallade, Greater Westralia, Jetan, Nagatar Karumuttu Chettiar, Serconas, The blAAtschApen, Uiiop, Vassenor, Yahoo [Bot]

Advertisement

Remove ads