NATION

PASSWORD

Trump MAGAThread IV: Twixt Scylla & Some Bad Hombres

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Camicon
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Camicon » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:28 am

Lavochkin wrote:
Camicon wrote:Everyone "[tries] to convert kids into their cause", religion is a prime example. I don't think it's inherently wrong to do so, and I'll wager that you don't either when it comes to certain other ideologies.

And there has been senseless violence for as long as we've been able to think. Overall, violence in the USA is trending downward, and has been for decades. Sandy Hook is not indicative of "low morality".

I'm not arguing if trying to convert kids is ethical or not. But did you get shot in the face by the priest with an AR-15 last time you went to church?

If you don't think school shootings, racial tensions, political divisions and mass protests are going up in the U.S. Well, I'd like to join you in living in the same rock you've been living under.

Whether or not the cause is a good one does not change whether or not "converting kids" is inherently wrong, as your previous post implied.

And I wasn't talking about school shootings specifically, I was talking about violence. Violence is trending downwards, this is a fact. Racial tensions, political polarization, and mass protests, are separate matters.
Hey/They
Active since May, 2009
Country of glowing hearts, and patrons of the arts
Help me out
Star spangled madness, united sadness
Count me out
The Trews, Under The Sun
No human is more human than any other. - Lieutenant-General Roméo Antonius Dallaire
Don't shine for swine. - Metric, Soft Rock Star
Love is hell. Hell is love. Hell is asking to be loved. - Emily Haines and the Soft Skeleton, Detective Daughter

Why (Male) Rape Is Hilarious [because it has to be]

Senkaku
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 01, 2012
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Senkaku » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:28 am

Lavochkin wrote:
The Serbian Empire wrote:If it means more money goes to NASA, then it's worth it!

With Conway and Trump in power???

Welcome to the National Alternative Space Agency...

"We are going to build a Death Star and Nibiru is going to pay for it"

Seangoli wrote:
Washington Resistance Army wrote:What the fuck is all this Bowling Green nonsense?

It's some serious Ministry of Truth shit. It is an utterly fabricated event with just the barest semblance of truth to it that people are going to latch onto - and use it to justify even more controls than we have. Never mind that there was no actual massacre to speak of, people are going to believe that shit. Not only that, but Conway's implication that the Media refused to cover it is all the explanation many will need to believe that the event actually did happen.

Conway has had some major slips lately, between this and alternative facts. Looks like being the target of everyone's fire is wearing her down, I wonder how much longer we'll have her for.
Biden-Santos Thought cadre

Ebliania
Minister

Founded: Apr 17, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Ebliania » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:34 am

Seangoli
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 24, 2006
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Seangoli » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:36 am

Senkaku wrote:Conway has had some major slips lately, between this and alternative facts. Looks like being the target of everyone's fire is wearing her down, I wonder how much longer we'll have her for.

You are assuming that Trump and his team actually care about the implications of this slip. At worst, it'll disappear due to his supporters being fervent worshipers who believe he can do no wrong. Or it could go brilliantly, and people actually believe it, and become more fervent in support for immigration bans and anti-refugee rhetoric.

His administration has shown a remarkable tolerance for this sort of crap already. I seen nothing that will change her employment.

The Serbian Empire
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Serbian Empire » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:36 am

Senkaku wrote:
Lavochkin wrote:With Conway and Trump in power???

Seangoli wrote:
It's some serious Ministry of Truth shit. It is an utterly fabricated event with just the barest semblance of truth to it that people are going to latch onto - and use it to justify even more controls than we have. Never mind that there was no actual massacre to speak of, people are going to believe that shit. Not only that, but Conway's implication that the Media refused to cover it is all the explanation many will need to believe that the event actually did happen.

Conway has had some major slips lately, between this and alternative facts. Looks like being the target of everyone's fire is wearing her down, I wonder how much longer we'll have her for.

As long as we have Trump I fear. But how long will that be. I fear Pence may try to encourage impeachment proceedings if the approval ratings keep dropping.
Last edited by The Serbian Empire on Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
LOVEWHOYOUARE~ WOMAN
Level 12 Myrmidon, Level ⑨ Tsundere, Level ✿ Hold My Flower
Bad Idea Purveyor
8 Values: https://8values.github.io/results.html?e=56.1&d=70.2&g=86.5&s=91.9
Political Compass: Economic -10.00 Authoritarian: -9.13
TG for Facebook if you want to friend me
Marissa, Goddess of Stratospheric Reach
preferred pronouns: Female ones
Primarily lesbian, but pansexual in nature

Lavochkin
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Lavochkin » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:41 am

Camicon wrote:
Lavochkin wrote:I'm not arguing if trying to convert kids is ethical or not. But did you get shot in the face by the priest with an AR-15 last time you went to church?

If you don't think school shootings, racial tensions, political divisions and mass protests are going up in the U.S. Well, I'd like to join you in living in the same rock you've been living under.

Whether or not the cause is a good one does not change whether or not "converting kids" is inherently wrong, as your previous post implied.

And I wasn't talking about school shootings specifically, I was talking about violence. Violence is trending downwards, this is a fact. Racial tensions, political polarization, and mass protests, are separate matters.

Please quote when I said converting kids is inherently wrong. If I ain't saying it, I ain't implying it.

Violence in terms of crime? Yeah I'd agree there, but you can't ignore the other half of the side.
Senkaku wrote:
Lavochkin wrote:With Conway and Trump in power???

Seangoli wrote:

"We're going to put a comprehensive ban on all unregistered and illegal aliens coming to Earth and it's going to be great"

"We're going to land on the dark side of the sun, it's gonna be the biggest and the greatest, I always win, did I tell you how rich I am? Well I'm very rich".
✫ The Federated States of Lavochkin ✫
✪ Федеративные Штаты Лавочкина ✪
⚜ De av forent stater av Lavochkin ⚜
Из пепла, к звездам
Из пепла, к звездам

Fra asken, til stjernene
Fra asken, til stjernene

Delegate for The Empire of Oppression (62nd largest region and growing!)

We pray for those who have lost a member or a loved one during the tragedies of 2016/2017

Lavochkin
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Lavochkin » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:43 am

The Serbian Empire wrote:
Senkaku wrote:"We are going to build a Death Star and Nibiru is going to pay for it"

As long as we have Trump I fear. But how long will that be. I fear Pence may try to encourage impeachment proceedings if the approval ratings keep dropping.

I fear Bannon will become our next chief military adviser. Trump is just stupid, but Bannon is scary and smart.
Из пепла, к звездам
Из пепла, к звездам

Fra asken, til stjernene
Fra asken, til stjernene

We pray for those who have lost a member or a loved one during the tragedies of 2016/2017

Seangoli
Negotiator

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Seangoli » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:48 am

The Serbian Empire wrote:
Senkaku wrote:"We are going to build a Death Star and Nibiru is going to pay for it"

For reference, Bush had a low of a 37% approval rating, and only hovered in the low 40's for the last few years of his Presidency. He started out at 60%, peaked at 90% following 9/11, and dropped from there.

Obama's approval ratings had a low of 40%, and actually climbed to 60% by his last term. He started his term at 60-65% Approval, dipped a bit towards the middle of Presidency (And had a second peak of 55% during the 2012 election), dipped again, and rose towards the end. Even FOX and Rasmussen put his approval rating at pretty stellar rates of 60%+ on their last polls of his presidency last month. He actually ended his presidency with about as strong approval as he started, even according to the right-leaning polling stations.

Trump has been... a bit more temultuous, but he's certainly starting lower. Even Rasmussen has him at a paltry 53% approval rating, which is about 10% lower than you should have as an incoming President according to historic trends. Hell, his average polling numbers are about 5-10% above the lowest polling numbers of either Bush's or Obama's entire Presidency. If he continues on the trends he has been going, it's very possible he break Bush's lowest approval rating of 37% within a month or two.
Last edited by Seangoli on Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

Camicon
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Camicon » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:50 am

Lavochkin wrote:
Camicon wrote:Whether or not the cause is a good one does not change whether or not "converting kids" is inherently wrong, as your previous post implied.

Please quote when I said converting kids is inherently wrong. If I ain't saying it, I ain't implying it.

Violence in terms of crime? Yeah I'd agree there, but you can't ignore the other half of the side.

Lavochkin wrote:Yes, but kids are vulnerable and innocent. Things we consider evil like ISIS, the Nazi's or the Communists always tried to convert kids into their cause. But the fact now that we're just killing them, our own kind, without any purpose or cause or justification should be taken as how low our morality has dipped.

"Converting kids" is bad because "people like X" did so implies that the action itself is bad, and not that the one specific instance of it is bad because of the group doing the "converting".

And civil unrest is not the same thing as violence, even if they sometimes go hand-in-hand. Saying "violence is trending downwards" is does not ignore "the other half".
Hey/They
Active since May, 2009
Country of glowing hearts, and patrons of the arts
Help me out
Star spangled madness, united sadness
Count me out
The Trews, Under The Sun
No human is more human than any other. - Lieutenant-General Roméo Antonius Dallaire
Don't shine for swine. - Metric, Soft Rock Star
Love is hell. Hell is love. Hell is asking to be loved. - Emily Haines and the Soft Skeleton, Detective Daughter

Why (Male) Rape Is Hilarious [because it has to be]

Lavochkin
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Lavochkin » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:03 am

Camicon wrote:
Lavochkin wrote:Please quote when I said converting kids is inherently wrong. If I ain't saying it, I ain't implying it.

Lavochkin wrote:Yes, but kids are vulnerable and innocent. Things we consider evil like ISIS, the Nazi's or the Communists always tried to convert kids into their cause. But the fact now that we're just killing them, our own kind, without any purpose or cause or justification should be taken as how low our morality has dipped.

"Converting kids" is bad because "people like X" did so implies that the action itself is bad, and not that the one specific instance of it is bad because of the group doing the "converting".

And civil unrest is not the same thing as violence, even if they sometimes go hand-in-hand. Saying "violence is trending downwards" is does not ignore "the other half".

You can't imply something if I don't clearly say it. I said "Things we consider evil..." tried to convert kids, I never said converting kids was wrong, I just said that groups who we considered evil usually try converting kids (almost always). You're now just assuming, and we all know that "assuming makes you an ass" pun or whatever so I'll spare you that.

Violence is a general category, yes it's fine to say it's going down. But if you say violence is going down while the person behind is pushing over cars and beating up Trump supporters, it kinda makes you look an idiot, so yes, you would be ignoring the other half. "Criminal violence" is going down would be more correct
Из пепла, к звездам
Из пепла, к звездам

Fra asken, til stjernene
Fra asken, til stjernene

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:08 am

So it seems the media is trying to hide all evidence of Conway's fake massacre statements.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Frenequesta
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 22, 2010
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Frenequesta » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:20 am

Vassenor wrote:So it seems the media is trying to hide all evidence of Conway's fake massacre statements.

That's an odd way to put it.
I’m mostly here for... something to do, I suppose.

Cattle Mutilators
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 15, 2005
Ex-Nation

Trump MAGAThread IV: Twixt Scylla & Some Bad Dudes

Postby Cattle Mutilators » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:21 am

Great Confederacy Of Commonwealth States wrote:-snip-

So, just to be clear... does this EO make it legal to kill fundamentalists if you happen to believe that fundamentalism is a form of heresy, and that God commands that heretics be put to death?
“Every critic, every detractor, will have to bow down to President Trump. It’s everyone who’s ever doubted Donald, who ever disagreed, who ever challenged him. It is the ultimate revenge to become the most powerful man in the universe.” — Omarosa Manigault, Assistant to the President, Director of Communications for the Office of Public Liaison

Are we great yet?De Blasio 2020!
REMEMBER ATLANTA! REMEMBER SWEDEN! REMEMBER BOWLING GREEN!

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:31 am

Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 18, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:33 am

They are just making up shit now?

Man, what the fuck?

I mean really?

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:35 am

The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp wrote:

Man, what the fuck?

I mean really?

They're not making things up. They're using alternative facts.

Get the terminology right.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:36 am

Great Confederacy Of Commonwealth States wrote:-snip-

What the fuck

Cattle Mutilators
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Cattle Mutilators » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:47 am

Fortunately, I have a partial transcript:

PUTIN: Is recording off?
TRUMP: Yes, Master!
PUTIN: Good! My first order, then: Bring me moose and squirrel!
“Every critic, every detractor, will have to bow down to President Trump. It’s everyone who’s ever doubted Donald, who ever disagreed, who ever challenged him. It is the ultimate revenge to become the most powerful man in the universe.” — Omarosa Manigault, Assistant to the President, Director of Communications for the Office of Public Liaison

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:48 am

Vassenor wrote:
The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp wrote:

Man, what the fuck?

I mean really?

They're not making things up. They're using alternative facts.

Get the terminology right.

Ah. :P

Last edited by The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp on Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cattle Mutilators
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Cattle Mutilators » Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:09 am

The East Marches wrote:Currency outflows from failures in trade which could be avoided if we have the edge in efficiency (which we do in farming), should be avoided. Losing money needlessly is retarded.

Why are you worrying about currency outflows? We don't have a gold-backed currency anymore. So what do you think our trading partners are going to do with those dollars we pay them?

Answer: Either loan them back to us (reducing interest rates), reinvest them in our country (increasing out productivity), spending them on our products, or converting them over to their own currency (which reduces the value of the dollar and thus makes our goods more competitive in the global market).

There's a whole separate branch of economics that studies trade and currency, and most people never bother to learn it. That's why most popular discussions of trade policy essentially boil down to ignorant bullshit.

The Conez Imperium
Minister

Founded: Nov 23, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Conez Imperium » Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:26 am

Lavochkin wrote:
The Serbian Empire wrote:As long as we have Trump I fear. But how long will that be. I fear Pence may try to encourage impeachment proceedings if the approval ratings keep dropping.

I fear Bannon will become our next chief military adviser. Trump is just stupid, but Bannon is scary and smart.

I think he already has considering he has kicked out the Joint chiefs of Staff from that advisory council.

Bannon is the one to watch from my growing understanding.
Salut tout le monde, c'est moi !

Great Franconia and Verana
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 21, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Franconia and Verana » Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:43 am

Honestly, of all the things I am laughing about now, Trump and his constant insecurity about his win and inauguration crowd size is probably the most hilarious.

I mean, he is on the phone with world leaders, and he is so compelled to talk about the size of his inauguration crowd? I wish I could have been in the room, just to see the look on Turnbull's face the entire time. Trump is just a toddler in a suit, with worse hair.

Gotta love how he has turned the GOP foreign policy basically on its head. Friendly with Russia, but ranting at Australia. The irony would be delicious if it wasn't so terrifying.
Last edited by Great Franconia and Verana on Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Uxupox
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 13, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Uxupox » Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:46 am

The Conez Imperium wrote:
Lavochkin wrote:I fear Bannon will become our next chief military adviser. Trump is just stupid, but Bannon is scary and smart.

I think he already has considering he has kicked out the Joint chiefs of Staff from that advisory council.

Bannon is the one to watch from my growing understanding.

The JSC wasn't kicked. The position now only refers too on a need to know basis based upon their area of expertise.
Economic Left/Right: 0.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.00

Seangoli
Negotiator

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Seangoli » Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:50 am

Great Franconia and Verana wrote:Honestly, of all the things I am laughing about now, Trump and his constant insecurity about his win and inauguration crowd size is probably the most hilarious.

I mean, he is on the phone with world leaders, and he is so compelled to talk about the size of his inauguration crowd? I wish I could have been in the room, just to see the look on Turnbull's face the entire time. Trump is just a toddler in a suit, with worse hair.

Gotta love how he has turned the GOP foreign policy basically on its head. Friendly with Russia, but ranting at Australia. The irony would be delicious if it wasn't so terrifying. Nice work Republicans.

From what I've read, the conspiracy theory about the election being rigged is really losing traction with supporters and Congress. He's shooting himself politically in the foot over it among those who -somehow - are more ambivalent to him. Now that he's President, people want to see results and not see him talk, endlessly, about himself. Now, for someone who watched his entire campaign, I knew he was going to spend all the time talking about himself. But some people didn't.

As for Australia, he's gotten himself into a major pickle. Autralia is seriously one of our best allies and partners in the world, and nobody has every had a problem with it ever. We also have a deal to take in refugees from them. If he honors the deal, he loses trump points from his fervent supporters for caving in to Australia of all places. If he goes back on the deal, he rather pointlessly nukes our relationship with Australia, and one of our closest allies. He even (allegedly) said as much to the Australian President, as he said taking them would be a political disaster for him.

Less than two weeks in, and Trump is learning that doing what you want doesn't work amazingly on the world stage.
Last edited by Seangoli on Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Philjia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 15, 2014
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Philjia » Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:54 am

Seangoli wrote:
Great Franconia and Verana wrote:Honestly, of all the things I am laughing about now, Trump and his constant insecurity about his win and inauguration crowd size is probably the most hilarious.

Gotta love how he has turned the GOP foreign policy basically on its head. Friendly with Russia, but ranting at Australia. The irony would be delicious if it wasn't so terrifying. Nice work Republicans.

From what I've read, the conspiracy theory about the election being rigged is really losing traction with supporters and Congress. He's shooting himself politically in the foot over it among those who -somehow - are more ambivalent to him. Now that he's President, people want to see results and not see him talk, endlessly, about himself. Now, for someone who watched his entire campaign, I knew he was going to spend all the time talking about himself. But some people didn't.

As for Australia, he's gotten himself into a major pickle. Autralia is seriously one of our best allies and partners in the world, and nobody has every had a problem with it ever. We also have a deal to take in refugees from them. If he honors the deal, he loses trump points from his fervent supporters for caving in to Australia of all places. If he goes back on the deal, he rather pointlessly nukes our relationship with Australia, and one of our closest allies. He even (allegedly) said as much to the Australian President, as he said taking them would be a political disaster for him.

Less than two weeks in, and Trump is learning that doing what you want doesn't work amazingly on the world stage.

If he does decide to take on China, he may be upset to see how many people back China over him.

⚧ Trans rights. ⚧
Pragmatic ethical utopian socialist, IE I'm for whatever kind of socialism is the most moral and practical. Pro LGBT rights and gay marriage, pro gay adoption, generally internationalist, ambivalent on the EU, atheist, pro free speech and expression, pro legalisation of prostitution and soft drugs, and pro choice. Anti authoritarian, anti Marxist. White cishet male.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General