NATION

PASSWORD

[Africa] Yahya Jammeh trying everything to stay as President

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Colbert Super PAC
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 14, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Colbert Super PAC » Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:10 pm

This coup is funded by Big Pharma, who are afraid of Jammeh's AIDS cure becoming common knowledge! The Gambian people must rise up to reinstall their President!
Cthulhu Trump 2016
Why Vote For The Lesser Evil?

Herskerstad
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Herskerstad » Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:12 pm

Colbert Super PAC wrote:This coup is funded by Big Pharma, who are afraid of Jammeh's AIDS cure becoming common knowledge! The Gambian people must rise up to reinstall their President!

That odd moment when you're going to miss Africa producing batshit insane dictators. They were sorta funny from a distance.
Although the stars do not speak, even in being silent they cry out. - John Calvin

Novus America
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:14 pm

Herskerstad wrote:
Colbert Super PAC wrote:This coup is funded by Big Pharma, who are afraid of Jammeh's AIDS cure becoming common knowledge! The Gambian people must rise up to reinstall their President!

That odd moment when you're going to miss Africa producing batshit insane dictators. They were sorta funny from a distance.

It still has a few, just not as many and not quite as absurdly loony as it used to.
Last edited by Novus America on Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Zombie Ike/Teddy Roosevelt 2020.

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.
Think something like prewar Fallout, minus the bad stuff.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

The One True Benxboro Empire
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 15, 2016
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The One True Benxboro Empire » Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:15 pm

Novus America wrote:
Herskerstad wrote:

It still has a few, just not as many and not quite as absurdly loony as it used to.

Besides, I'm pretty sure Zuma and Mugabe can corner the market on loony between them, or was that Mbeki and Mugabe?
DÉHIR ÚD GĂMATT VYRÊTT BÉNXBÒRRÔ (The One True Benxboro Empie)
DÉHIR BÉNX SĒR GAHADÁG BȲL!
(The Benx is with us!)

The peak of sexism, homophobia, transphobia, speciesism, authoritarianism, theocracy, imperial cults and religious fervor. All under the One True Emperor and the Supreme Inquisitor. Donut paradise and
Democratic East-Asia wrote:"Probably the worst place ever."

Skyhooked wrote:They are Owrellian already. Only thing, instead of screens there are preachers.

Karamiko wrote:They don't actually believe the things they say or do, they're just doing it to show how terrible theocracies are.

Trans woman with liberal characteristics
She/her

Kohr
Minister

Founded: Aug 24, 2015
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Kohr » Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:20 pm

The One True Benxboro Empire wrote:
Novus America wrote:

Besides, I'm pretty sure Zuma and Mugabe can corner the market on loony between them, or was that Mbeki and Mugabe?

Mugabe's not going to be around much longer.

Diplomat

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The One True Benxboro Empire » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:00 pm

Kohr wrote:
The One True Benxboro Empire wrote:Besides, I'm pretty sure Zuma and Mugabe can corner the market on loony between them, or was that Mbeki and Mugabe?

Mugabe's not going to be around much longer.

Well, that's good. I guess.
(The Benx is with us!)

The peak of sexism, homophobia, transphobia, speciesism, authoritarianism, theocracy, imperial cults and religious fervor. All under the One True Emperor and the Supreme Inquisitor. Donut paradise and

Skyhooked wrote:They are Owrellian already. Only thing, instead of screens there are preachers.

Karamiko wrote:They don't actually believe the things they say or do, they're just doing it to show how terrible theocracies are.

She/her

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:25 pm

Kohr wrote:Mugabe's not going to be around much longer.

Well, that's good. I guess.

Eh, his wife very well might be. And she is just as bad if not worse than he is.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

Diplomat

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The One True Benxboro Empire » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:28 pm

Novus America wrote:
The One True Benxboro Empire wrote:Well, that's good. I guess.

Eh, his wife very well might be. And she is just as bad if not worse than he is.

Oh fuck. And I just looked her up- she's 3 years younger than my sister.
Zim is in for some hard times under the Mugabe dynasty...
(The Benx is with us!)

She/her

Dooom35796821595
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 11, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby Dooom35796821595 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:31 pm

Novus America wrote:

Oh fuck. And I just looked her up- she's 3 years younger than my sister.

Unless the AU decides to remove her.
When life gives you lemons, you BURN THEIR HOUSE DOWN!
Anything can be justified if it is cool. If at first you don't succeed, destroy all in your way.
"Your methods are stupid! Your progress has been stupid! Your intelligence is stupid! For the sake of the mission, you must be terminated!”

Diplomat

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The One True Benxboro Empire » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:34 pm

Dooom35796821595 wrote:
The One True Benxboro Empire wrote:Oh fuck. And I just looked her up- she's 3 years younger than my sister.

Hopefully they do decide that, but I'm not counting on it.
(The Benx is with us!)

She/her

Geilinor
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:52 pm

Dooom35796821595 wrote:
The One True Benxboro Empire wrote:Oh fuck. And I just looked her up- she's 3 years younger than my sister.

It looks like the AU will only act if there is an alternative waiting to take office. They can't get rid of all the despots, unfortunately.
Member of the Free Democratic Party. Not left. Not right. Forward.
Economic Left/Right: -1.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.41

Ancient Pluto
Envoy

Founded: Dec 08, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Ancient Pluto » Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:54 pm

Maichuko wrote:Actually there is something hilarious about this. The dictator is claiming the election was rigged against him.

T O P K E K
R U S S I A N
V O T E R
H A C K E R
F R A U D
T O P K E K
"robot dinosaurs might be useful" ~Optimus Prime

Zakuvia
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 22, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Zakuvia » Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:19 pm

Geilinor wrote:
Dooom35796821595 wrote:

It looks like the AU will only act if there is an alternative waiting to take office. They can't get rid of all the despots, unfortunately.

And when you consider its membership, that would in some cases be self-defeating.
Balance is important in diets, gymnastics, and governments most of all.
NOW CELEBRATING 10 YEARS OF NS!
-1.12, -0.46

Greater Orensta
Minister

Founded: Jul 28, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater Orensta » Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:21 pm

Well maybe he would if his country wasn't just a river
R.I.P
~Kurt, Layne, Scott, Chris~

Herskerstad
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Herskerstad » Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:47 pm

Novus America wrote:
Herskerstad wrote:

The king of insane will always be Idi Amin. Though herbal cure for aids is certainly trying.
Although the stars do not speak, even in being silent they cry out. - John Calvin

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:03 pm

Herskerstad wrote:
Novus America wrote:

The king of insane will always be Idi Amin. Though herbal cure for aids is certainly trying.

True, but you did have Qaddafi and Bokassa. Not quite his level sure, but still over the top absurd. Idi Amin was so insane if you made him a fictional character. Sometimes truth is stranger than fiction, reality is not limited by your suspension of disbelief.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Itoshiki
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Dec 19, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Itoshiki » Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:33 am

Herskerstad wrote:
Novus America wrote:

In 1978, Equatorial Guinea changed its motto to "There is no God but Macias Nguema."
Before in Christmas 1975, the same leader of the "Dachau of Africa" also ordered 150 coup plotters to be shot by soldiers dressed as Santa Claus in a football stadium, while amplifiers there were playing Mary Hopkin's "Those Were the Days".
Liberal Conservative
...and many more self-contrarianism!

Economic Left/Right: 1.5
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.36

Islamic Government wrote:
Itoshiki wrote:You're not really saying much about Yazidi and Christian girls raped by the mujahids, either. I ask you again: do you approve of IS' practice of sex slavery or not?

Yes, I approve.

IRL anime best girl shitposter.

San Marlindo
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 01, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby San Marlindo » Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:01 am

Itoshiki wrote:
Herskerstad wrote:

In 1978, Equatorial Guinea changed its motto to "There is no God but Macias Nguema."
Before in Christmas 1975, the same leader of the "Dachau of Africa" also ordered 150 coup plotters to be shot by soldiers dressed as Santa Claus in a football stadium, while amplifiers there were playing Mary Hopkin's "Those Were the Days".

Didn't Nguema literally kill or expel a third of his country's population?
"Cold, analytical, materialistic thinking tends to throttle the urge to imagination." - Michael Chekhov

Frank Zipper
Senator

Founded: Nov 16, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Frank Zipper » Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:11 am

Get your Yahyas out.
Put this in your signature if you are easily led.

Arumdaum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 21, 2009
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Arumdaum » Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:00 am

Balkenreich wrote:Just another day in Africa.

Excellent, breathtaking analysis.
LITERALLY UNLIKE ANY OTHER RP REGION & DON'T REPORT THIS SIG
█████████████████▌TIANDI ____________██____██
_______███▌MAP _______________██_____██_████████
█████████████████▌WIKI _______██______██___██____██
_______████ DISCORD ________██████___██____██______█

____████__████ SIGNUP _________██___████___██____
__████_______████_____________██______██__________██
████____________████_______█████████___███████████

Masylvana
Secretary

Founded: Sep 11, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Masylvana » Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:35 am

Seems to me that some form of civil war may arise. Hopefully this leads to Jammeh seeing the cards on the table and folding, but if not?

I hear African wars can be pretty interesting from a military perspective, especially their use of paratroopers in the past few decades.
I'm doing a Q&A! Send me any question about Masylvana to me and I'll answer it to the best of my abilities while lodging the answer in a factbook.

Political compass:
Economic left/right: 8.25
Social libertarian/authoritarian: -2.67

Please use my factbook for stats where possible, otherwise make your own interpretations. A bit of imagination never hurt, after all.

San Marlindo
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 01, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby San Marlindo » Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:49 am

Masylvana wrote:Seems to me that some form of civil war may arise. Hopefully this leads to Jammeh seeing the cards on the table and folding, but if not?

I hear African wars can be pretty interesting from a military perspective, especially their use of paratroopers in the past few decades.

Interesting you should say that, because most of the conventional parachute ops on that continent in the past few decades were done by non-African armies, i.e. the Suez Crisis (British and French), the Ogaden (Cubans), Stanleyville (Belgians), Kolwezi (French), Bangui in 1979 (French), etc.

African armies don't really have a lot of airborne experience, unless you count using paratroopers for a) coups, or b) against lightly armed and often poorly trained insurgents.
Last edited by San Marlindo on Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Cold, analytical, materialistic thinking tends to throttle the urge to imagination." - Michael Chekhov

Salandriagado
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 03, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Salandriagado » Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:22 am

San Marlindo wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:That does make it hard to maintain control. Now what? What do they do with him?

Uh, the article at the link says he's going into voluntary exile in Mauritania...

"Voluntary".

CoraSpia wrote:
Alvecia wrote:*shrug*

In fact, Jammeh's situation isn't exactly unique, which makes me wonder why the strong response to this and no others?

Jammeh doesn't have a strong military behind him. A question of picking fights that you can win, perhaps?

Masylvana wrote:Seems to me that some form of civil war may arise. Hopefully this leads to Jammeh seeing the cards on the table and folding, but if not?

Nah. The Gambian, Senegalese and Nigerian armies all agree, and nobody else is in much of a position to object.
Last edited by Salandriagado on Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cosara wrote:
Anachronous Rex wrote:Good thing most a majority of people aren't so small-minded, and frightened of other's sexuality.

Over 40% (including me), are, so I fixed the post for accuracy.

Vilatania wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:
Notice that the link is to the notes from a university course on probability. You clearly have nothing beyond the most absurdly simplistic understanding of the subject.
By choosing 1, you no longer have 0 probability of choosing 1. End of subject.

(read up the quote stack)

Deal. £3000 do?[/quote]

Of course.[/quote]

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:02 am

Itoshiki wrote:
Herskerstad wrote:

Forgot about him. Now that was a lunatic. Not sure is quite Idi Amin in terms of sheer absurdity and weirdness but he did try.

We are not simply talking sheer Stalin style evil. But over the top unrealistic (but real) weirdness combined with it.
Last edited by Novus America on Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Masylvana
Secretary

Founded: Sep 11, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Masylvana » Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:07 pm

San Marlindo wrote:

Interesting you should say that, because most of the conventional parachute ops on that continent in the past few decades were done by non-African armies, i.e. the Suez Crisis (British and French), the Ogaden (Cubans), Stanleyville (Belgians), Kolwezi (French), Bangui in 1979 (French), etc.

African armies don't really have a lot of airborne experience, unless you count using paratroopers for a) coups, or b) against lightly armed and often poorly trained insurgents.

I was thinking more along the lines of what happened with Rwandan troops during either the First Congo War. Essentially, something like 500 paratroopers in hijacked planes managed to shut down something like 50% of the government of Zaire in less than 24 hours.

Hardly conventional, sure, but interesting nonetheless.
I'm doing a Q&A! Send me any question about Masylvana to me and I'll answer it to the best of my abilities while lodging the answer in a factbook.

Political compass:
Economic left/right: 8.25
Social libertarian/authoritarian: -2.67

Please use my factbook for stats where possible, otherwise make your own interpretations. A bit of imagination never hurt, after all.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General