NATION

PASSWORD

The Women’s March in Danger.

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Cannot think of a name » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:51 pm

Luminesa wrote:
Cannot think of a name wrote:Go to D.C. this Saturday and ask around. Just to give you a heads up, the answers will be riddled with complexity and they won't all agree on everything. It might be a bit much to take in.

I can't, I have no way of getting there and I'm going to be at the Life March in my city on Saturday.

I am quite aware. And at what point do you start throwing people out of this March?

Who said anything about throwing people out?
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 09, 2014

Postby Luminesa » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:53 pm

Cannot think of a name wrote:
Luminesa wrote:I can't, I have no way of getting there and I'm going to be at the Life March in my city on Saturday.

I am quite aware. And at what point do you start throwing people out of this March?

Who said anything about throwing people out?

That's what the article said. The moment people start having qualms about certain parts of the movement, throw them out altogether.
Catholic, pro-life, and proud of it. I prefer my debates on religion, politics, and sports with some coffee and a little Aquinas and G.K. CHESTERTON here and there. :3
Unofficial #1 fan of the Who Dat Nation.
"I'm just a singer of simple songs, I'm not a real political man. I watch CNN, but I'm not sure I can tell you the difference in Iraq and Iran. But I know Jesus, and I talk to God, and I remember this from when I was young:
faith, hope and love are some good things He gave us...
and the greatest is love."
-Alan Jackson
Help the Ukrainian people, here's some sources!
Help bring home First Nation girls! Now with more ways to help!
Jesus loves all of His children in Eastern Europe - pray for peace.
Pray for Ukraine, Wear Sunflowers In Your Hair

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015

Postby USS Monitor » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:53 pm

Oil exporting People wrote:
USS Monitor wrote:I see no evidence of this. Vermont's current politics are very consistent with its past, and there has not been any massive influx of population. It has always been rural, socially progressive compared to the rest of the US, and fond of guns.

What Vermont are you talking about?
Vermont’s political landscape began to change in the 1960s and 1970s. City dwellers from nearby states like Massachusetts and New York began fleeing struggling metropolises like Boston and New York City. Heading north, these migrants had a choice of where to settle, and some self-sorting took place.

Vermont’s population had been stagnant for decades, but with the influx of “new Vermonters” the state began to grow. When the migration began, Vermont’s population was below 400,000, small enough so that an influx of people could really affect the state’s politics. More than 625,000 people live in Vermont today, and residents born elsewhere are part of the state’s fabric. Vermont’s current governor, Peter Shumlin, is the first native governor in almost 40 years.

Funny how Vermont flipped from Republican to Democrat around the same time the parties swapped positions on social issues. That is one of the worst analyses I've seen on 538, talking about Vermont's Republican past as if it has any relation to the modern-day GOP. Population growth of a few hundred thousand of a period of 40 years isn't dramatic, and people born in Vermont do not magically become New Yorkers just because their parents moved there in 1960 instead of 1660.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:54 pm

Luminesa wrote:
Cannot think of a name wrote:Who said anything about throwing people out?

That's what the article said. The moment people start having qualms about certain parts of the movement, throw them out altogether.

Nope.
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

Crockerland
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 15, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Crockerland » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:56 pm

USS Monitor wrote:
Crockerland wrote:Ah yes, Vermont, a state with enough trees around that nobody can see what's going on, an excellent cherry to pick. Of the 34 states with a rural populace making up at least 28.8% of the total population, only 7 (Vermont, Maine, New Hampshire, New Mexico, Oregon, Minnesota, and Virginia) voted Democrat in the 2016 election.

Right, nobody can see what's going on. That's why they have low crime rates, low poverty rates, and longer life expectancy compared to the national average.

Who cares? No one was talking about that, stop derailing the conversation.
Free Taiwan, Hong Kong, and Tibet.
Gay not Queer / Why Abortion is Genocide / End Gay Erasure
PROUD SUPPORTER OF:
National Liberalism, Nuclear & Geothermal Power, GMOs, Vaccines, Biodiesel, LGBTIA equality, Universal Healthcare, Universal Basic Income, Constitutional Carry, Emotional Support Twinks, Right to Life

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Postby Luminesa » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:56 pm

Luminesa wrote:That's what the article said. The moment people start having qualms about certain parts of the movement, throw them out altogether.

Nope.

Nope is not an argument. Then again, you've spent most of your posts simply making sarcastic comments about other peoples' views, instead of building your own arguments, so if you have one I would like to see it, instead of 'nope'. I've made my arguments, I've yet to see yours.
Catholic, pro-life, and proud of it. I prefer my debates on religion, politics, and sports with some coffee and a little Aquinas and G.K. CHESTERTON here and there. :3
"I'm just a singer of simple songs, I'm not a real political man. I watch CNN, but I'm not sure I can tell you the difference in Iraq and Iran. But I know Jesus, and I talk to God, and I remember this from when I was young:
-Alan Jackson

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:00 pm

Luminesa wrote:
Cannot think of a name wrote:Nope.

Nope is not an argument. Then again, you've spent most of your posts simply making sarcastic comments about other peoples' views, instead of building your own arguments, so if you have one I would like to see it, instead of 'nope'. I've made my arguments, I've yet to see yours.

You mischaracterized what is happening. I'm perfectly willing to discuss what's actually happening but if you're worried I'm not going to treat your fantasies kindly you're free to talk to someone else.

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015

Postby USS Monitor » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:15 pm

Crockerland wrote:
USS Monitor wrote:
Right, nobody can see what's going on. That's why they have low crime rates, low poverty rates, and longer life expectancy compared to the national average.

Who cares? No one was talking about that, stop derailing the conversation.

We're both straying from the topic of the Women's March, but it's not fair to say no one was talking about that. My post is still relevant to your argument about whose policies best serve the interests of rural white people. If a blue state full of rural white people is doing better than most of the red states full of rural white people, that's evidence that GOP policies don't actually help rural whites. Which party people vote for is not always the same thing as which party is doing the best job of serving their interests. Sometimes people vote against their own interests because they are voting based on personality rather than policy, or they just don't realize how a policy will affect them.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Postby Luminesa » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:18 pm

Luminesa wrote:Nope is not an argument. Then again, you've spent most of your posts simply making sarcastic comments about other peoples' views, instead of building your own arguments, so if you have one I would like to see it, instead of 'nope'. I've made my arguments, I've yet to see yours.

You mischaracterized what is happening. I'm perfectly willing to discuss what's actually happening but if you're worried I'm not going to treat your fantasies kindly you're free to talk to someone else.

What fantasies? The tone of the article is VERY aggressive toward people who are uncertain about their beliefs. It pushes them away instead of trying to draw them in. Once again, you have no argument, and simply try to cover for it by making "witty" remarks about others.
Last edited by Luminesa on Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Alan Jackson

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:21 pm

Luminesa wrote:
Cannot think of a name wrote:You mischaracterized what is happening. I'm perfectly willing to discuss what's actually happening but if you're worried I'm not going to treat your fantasies kindly you're free to talk to someone else.

What fantasies? The tone of the article is VERY aggressive toward people who are uncertain about their beliefs. It pushes them away instead of trying to draw them in. Once again, you have no argument, and simply try to cover for it by making "witty" remarks about others.

No one is kicking anyone out. Ask me a real question reflecting the facts. And quit whining, its unbecoming.

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Postby Luminesa » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:23 pm

Luminesa wrote:What fantasies? The tone of the article is VERY aggressive toward people who are uncertain about their beliefs. It pushes them away instead of trying to draw them in. Once again, you have no argument, and simply try to cover for it by making "witty" remarks about others.

No one is kicking anyone out. Ask me a real question reflecting the facts. And quit whining, its unbecoming.

Yep. Still no argument.
-Alan Jackson

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:26 pm

Luminesa wrote:
Cannot think of a name wrote:No one is kicking anyone out. Ask me a real question reflecting the facts. And quit whining, its unbecoming.

Yep. Still no argument.

Well, when you want to talk about what's really happening...

The Lone Alliance
Powerbroker

Founded: May 25, 2005
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Lone Alliance » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:32 am

USS Monitor wrote:I never thought of the GOP as doing anything to help them.

Neither party had much interest in actually giving them what they actually want.
"Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger." -Herman Goering
--------------
War is cruelty, and you cannot refine it; -William Tecumseh Sherman

Stormaen
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 15, 2010
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Stormaen » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:30 am

Clinton was the wrong woman to be president. The US deserves far better.

Look out for Nikki Haley (former Governor of South Carolina; incoming UN envoy) on that front, though. I don't think Trump will be re-elected in 2020 (I'm not wholly convinced he'll run again or even see out his first term). Will a Democrat win? In 2020? It's likely (demographics are turning in their favour). However, Haley could make a run for 2024. Not only would she be first female president (if she ran and won), she'd be the first Indian-American president.

Either way, there will be a woman run for president, if not in 2020 definitely in 2024. Whilst Hillary didn't win, she's made it probable the next will and that first woman president will have Hillary to thank (amongst many other historic women, e.g. Geraldine Ferraro) for paving the way. And it pains me to say that because I am not a fan of Hillary (or Trump, I add).
Falklands Forever! “Malvinas” Never!
Free West Papua

Hammer Britannia
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 08, 2016
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Hammer Britannia » Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:45 am

Stormaen wrote:Clinton was the wrong woman to be president. The US deserves far better.

Look out for Nikki Haley (former Governor of South Carolina; incoming UN envoy) on that front, though. I don't think Trump will be re-elected in 2020 (I'm not wholly convinced he'll run again or even see out his first term). Will a Democrat win? In 2020? It's likely (demographics are turning in their favour). However, Haley could make a run for 2024. Not only would she be first female president (if she ran and won), she'd be the first Indian-American president.

Either way, there will be a woman run for president, if not in 2020 definitely in 2024. Whilst Hillary didn't win, she's made it probable the next will and that first woman president will have Hillary to thank (amongst many other historic women, e.g. Geraldine Ferraro) for paving the way. And it pains me to say that because I am not a fan of Hillary (or Trump, I add).

This, so much this.

I mean after all, in my eyes anyways, it would be like if Mr. Slave from South Park (Oh boy kiddies, don't search that up) was the first openly gay president. There is just so much wrong with it.
All shall tremble before me

Targovia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jan 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Targovia » Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:50 am

Hammer Britannia wrote:
Stormaen wrote:Clinton was the wrong woman to be president. The US deserves far better.

This, so much this.

I mean after all, in my eyes anyways, it would be like if Mr. Slave from South Park (Oh boy kiddies, don't search that up) was the first openly gay president. There is just so much wrong with it.

I'm fine with any kind of president, as long as they: Do their job, Counter foreign aggression, protect the U.S. from Islamic Terrorism, Fix the economy, and take care of the rampant immigration problem.
Politics is C A N C E R O U S

Hammer Britannia
Negotiator

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Hammer Britannia » Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:53 am

Targovia wrote:
Hammer Britannia wrote:
This, so much this.

I'm fine with any kind of president, as long as they: Do their job, Counter foreign aggression, protect the U.S. from Islamic Terrorism, Fix the economy, and take care of the rampant immigration problem.

I don't know, I don't think Mr. Slave would make a good president.

Alright in all seriousness, Hillary Clinton would of been a mess and would of just prevented for a short while the fall of the popularity of the Democrats.

Anyways, we need to stop derailing this thread.

Proctopeo
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 26, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Proctopeo » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:09 am

I'm bored, so I'll give my take on the OP.

Sharania wrote:As some of you probably know, after the stunning “victory”

He won fair and square based on the system that we have.

of a candidate widely characterized as a fascist

He's not fascist, even in the general-use sense. At most, his views are intolerant.

misogynist

muh soggy knees
This is debatable and needs backing.

over what might have been America’s first female president

Clinton would have been an awful choice for that. I'd even to go so far as to say that Palin would be better, even if just by a little. Granted, Trump isn't much better than Clinton would have been...

a lot of women had enough of this

And a lot of women haven't even seen this as an issue. This is an empty statement.

We believe that Women’s Rights are Human Rights and Human Rights are Women’s Rights

The first half is perfectly reasonable, but the second half is blatant supremacy.

Support increased accountability for perpetrators of police brutality and racial profiling.

I thought there already was a lot of accountability? Just because you hear about cases where there isn't on the news isn't enough in of itself.

Also calls for the demilitarization of American law enforcement

Depending on what this means, I'm actually for this. If we could bring police to a low level of militarization (armored cars, mostly) and have a paramilitary force for when military-grade stuff is necessary, that would work fine.

and an end to mass incarceration.

While a proper response to this would require an analysis of what people are in prison for, I'm certain that incarceration rates could be reduced by making most drug possession situations without the intent to sell not carry a prison sentence, but instead community service. I'm not sure how this section is in any way related to feminism, however.

Support access to safe, legal abortion and reproductive health care to demand the right to abortion for women of all incomes.

I agree, but men should also be able to opt out of parenthood. That counts as a reproductive right, I believe, and would be equal.

Gender-affirming identity documents for LGBTQ people.

Sure. No real complaint here besides, well, I'm not sure how this relates to feminism.

Calls unions “critical to a healthy and thriving economy” and aligns the march with movements for the rights of sex workers, farmworkers, and domestic workers.

Yep. Just as long as unions don't get so strong that bad workers can't be penalized/fired, I'm good with this.

“We believe migration is a human right and that no human being is illegal.”

Migration is a human right, but you must do so by the laws of the land you originated in and by the laws of your destination. Technically, I agree with the last part, since it's technically an illegal presence, but the difference is blurry. Surely trespassing is wrong, right?

That’s just fine. And if some women decide they can’t get behind Medicaid-covered abortions, a humane immigration system, and police who answer for their crimes against people of color, the march won’t miss them.

Thank goodness I don't have an allergy to straw.

So, I ask you – what’s better? A broad platform plus vide inclusiveness or the laser like powerful forcefulness with voices ignored before brought in the fore for a change?

Something broad might not be as powerful, but agreeability is integral to getting things done. Being radical and appealing to a small subset of people doesn't always go well, even if it does work for a time.

I skipped over some stuff that wasn't as interesting to me.
Arachno-anarchism || NO GODS NO MASTERS || Free NSG Odreria

Arkinesia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 22, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Arkinesia » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:58 am

Targovia wrote:and take care of the rampant immigration problem.

I feel like I'll regret this, but…

What rampant immigration problem?

Proctopeo wrote:
misogynist

muh soggy knees

*spits out drink*
Last edited by Arkinesia on Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bisexual, atheist, Southerner. Not much older but made much wiser.

Disappointment Panda wrote:Don't hope for a life without problems. There's no such thing. Instead, hope for a life full of good problems.

Hammer Britannia
Negotiator

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Hammer Britannia » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:17 am

Proctopeo wrote:
misogynist

muh soggy knees

:rofl:

Blernovo
Spokesperson

Founded: Jan 19, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Blernovo » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:55 am

Costa Fierro wrote:
Uiiop wrote:Some say people who view themselves as better because all those traits but i hardly actually heard everyone with those traits being a bad thing.
Is your argument really "But...the stereotype says so therefore they're lying"?

No. My argument is "I know what radical feminist are like".

What Is a 'radical feminist' to you?
It is now OK to call autistic people retards.

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=407056

Hammer Britannia
Negotiator

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Hammer Britannia » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:30 pm

Blernovo wrote:
Costa Fierro wrote:

To me A radical Feminist is someone who wants to have more control and uses Feminism as a means to get that control. Such as this
although, many hide their want for control. But I am pretty sure the question was for someone else, so sorry.
Last edited by Hammer Britannia on Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:00 pm

Blernovo wrote:
Costa Fierro wrote:

They can do sick ollies over male oppression.

Costa Fierro
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Fierro » Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:49 pm

Blernovo wrote:
Costa Fierro wrote:

A radical feminist is someone who is against equality, against transgenders, sex-negative and for the continuation of sex-based discrimination as long as it benefits women.
"Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist." - George Carlin

Sharania
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 11, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Sharania » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:50 pm

Hammer Britannia wrote:

Kinkshaming is disgusting.
Time for justice.
Veteran of the Resistance.

BLM
Pigs are treyf

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General