NATION

PASSWORD

Dylann Roof sentenced to death

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Nickel Empire
Minister

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Corporate Bordello

Postby Nickel Empire » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:05 pm

Arcturus Novus wrote:Kudos, US justice system. You did good this time.

This.
Purple Tory with some Right-Wing Populism
"Every nation has the government it deserves." Joseph de Maistre
"First feelings are always the most natural." King Louis XIV of France
Trademark: Agent Orange Is a Protest Violent? Code: Reaganomics
"Don't tickle the Nickel." https://imgur.com/5KfGQGt

Lorkhan
Envoy

Founded: May 18, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Lorkhan » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:05 pm

I'm not particularly fond of the death penalty.

I say he should be forced to job to Roman Reigns for the rest of his life, since we have no better alternative.
Gnostic heathen. Disillusioned political nihilist. The sum of all ideology is futility.
"Mr. Chupon is taciturn but terribly powerful." - Ultros

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:05 pm

Southerly Gentleman wrote:
Salus Maior wrote:
It'll remove a dangerous human being from the planet who has no qualms about killing innocent people. So, I'd call that a win for civilization.

That's a very dangerous moral position. It's safer to operate from the axiom that all human life is sacred.

I find that very ironic coming from you, considering your political positions. But that is not the subject of this discussion.

And if one finds life to be sacred, than one should not have qualms in defending lives from those who wish them destroyed, forcefully if necessary. Prison is not inescapable, there's literally no way to guarantee that Dylan Roof will not take any more lives unless he's removed as a threat. And he is a confirmed threat to innocent people.

To do anything else would be irresponsible.
Last edited by Salus Maior on Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Traditionalist Catholic, Constitutional Monarchist, Habsburg Nostalgic, Distributist, Disillusioned Millennial.

"In any case we clearly see....That some opportune remedy must be found quickly for the misery and wretchedness pressing so unjustly on the majority of the working class...it has come to pass that working men have been surrendered, isolated and helpless, to the hardheartedness of employers and the greed of unchecked competition." -Pope Leo XIII, Rerum Novarum

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:07 pm

Novus America wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:So would this standard be considered before the death penalty is handed down or after?

Before. AND after. The standard should apply for the the death penalty to be given before it is first handed down. Then it would be subject to review de novo on appeal.

Sounds good to me. But how many appeals should they get?
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 18, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:07 pm

greed and death wrote:
Novorossitov wrote:Life sentence him instead. A ruined and wasted life is worse than a short one.

Maybe torture him for the next 6 decades.

No, no human derives torture. Unless there into that sort of thing.

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:07 pm

Thermodolia wrote:I don't care. He's not fit to breathe the air on this planet

That's exactly what he thought about the people he killed.

Not the same thing
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Grenartia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 14, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:08 pm

The death penalty is too good for him. Lock him up and throw away the key. Let him rot until he feels remorse, then let him rot some more.
Lib-left. Antifascist, antitankie, anti-capitalist, anti-imperialist (including the imperialism of non-western countries). Christian (Unitarian Universalist). Background in physics.
Mostly a girl. She or they pronouns, please. Unrepentant transbian.
Reject tradition, embrace modernity.
People who call themselves based NEVER are.
The truth about kids transitioning.

The Realm of Lordaeron
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 14, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby The Realm of Lordaeron » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:08 pm

Thermodolia wrote:
Southerly Gentleman wrote:That's exactly what he thought about the people he killed.

Not the same thing

Yeah, he doesn't have the veneer of legality to cover up his murder of innocent people, and doesn't have the distance of merely supporting a Government policy that achieves effectively the same result.
Your sound card works perfectly.
Enjoying yourself?
It doesn't get any better than this.

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:09 pm

Salus Maior wrote:
It'll remove a dangerous human being from the planet who has no qualms about killing innocent people. So, I'd call that a win for civilization.

That's a very dangerous moral position. It's safer to operate from the axiom that all human life is sacred.

My morals are already screwed up so I don't care
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Arcturus Novus
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 03, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Arcturus Novus » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:09 pm

Grenartia wrote:The death penalty is too good for him. Lock him up and throw away the key. Let him rot until he feels remorse, then let him rot some more.

Assuming that he'll ever actually regret his actions. Which, as of late, is unlikely.
Arcy (she/her), NS' fourth-favorite transsexual communist!
"I can fix her!" cool, I'm gonna make her worse.
me - my politics - my twitter
Nilokeras wrote:there is of course an interesting thread to pull on [...]
Unfortunately we're all forced to participate in whatever baroque humiliation kink the OP has going on instead.

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:10 pm

The Realm of Lordaeron wrote:
greed and death wrote:Maybe torture him for the next 6 decades.

Torture is wrong, we've gone down that path and doesn't solve any of our problems.

What do you gain from torturing that fucked up kid? Nothing, you only fuck up your own morals and self-worth. You lower yourself to his level.

Torturing prisoners is something we should leave to ISIS and other savages.

Let's not repeat the mistakes of the past.

Nothing is inherently right or wrong. I would gain personal satisfaction. I am a amoralist, and levels are subjective.

We are not repeating that mistake we do not want info out of him.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Gauthier
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:10 pm

Arcturus Novus wrote:
Grenartia wrote:The death penalty is too good for him. Lock him up and throw away the key. Let him rot until he feels remorse, then let him rot some more.

Assuming that he'll ever actually regret his actions. Which, as of late, is unlikely.

Years of prison can do wonders.
Crimes committed by Muslims will be a pan-Islamic plot and proof of Islam's inherent evil. On the other hand crimes committed by non-Muslims will merely be the acts of loners who do not represent their belief system at all.
The probability of one's participation in homosexual acts is directly proportional to one's public disdain and disgust for homosexuals.
If a political figure makes an accusation of wrongdoing without evidence, odds are probable that the accuser or an associate thereof has in fact committed the very same act, possibly to a worse degree.
Where is your God-Emperor now?

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:10 pm

Thermodolia wrote:Not the same thing

Yeah, he doesn't have the veneer of legality to cover up his murder of innocent people, and doesn't have the distance of merely supporting a Government policy that achieves effectively the same result.

Roof is far from innocent
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Southerly Gentleman
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 07, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Southerly Gentleman » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:10 pm

Salus Maior wrote:
Southerly Gentleman wrote:That's a very dangerous moral position. It's safer to operate from the axiom that all human life is sacred.

I find that very ironic coming from you, considering your political positions.

Which positions? The only one which contradicts that is pro-abortion, a stance that I've rather turned away from since making my sig.

Salus Maior wrote:
Southerly Gentleman wrote:That's a very dangerous moral position. It's safer to operate from the axiom that all human life is sacred.

And if one finds life to be sacred, than one should not have qualms in defending lives from those who wish them destroyed, forcefully if necessary. Prison is not inescapable, there's literally no way to guarantee that Dylan Roof will take any more lives unless he's removed as a threat. And he is a confirmed threat to innocent people.

To do anything else would be irresponsible.

fuck is this, Minority Report? You can't justify killing someone because they might take more lives in the future. Maybe they will, and then again, maybe they won't. Uncertainty is endemic to justice.
電光石火Lightning fast
For: RAGE, hypercapitalism, national fragmentation, city-states, transhumanism
Against: Feminism, identity politics, gun control, liberal-progressivism

The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 18, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:11 pm

greed and death wrote:
Torture is wrong, we've gone down that path and doesn't solve any of our problems.

What do you gain from torturing that fucked up kid? Nothing, you only fuck up your own morals and self-worth. You lower yourself to his level.

Torturing prisoners is something we should leave to ISIS and other savages.

Let's not repeat the mistakes of the past.

Nothing is inherently right or wrong. I would gain personal satisfaction. I am a amoralist, and levels are subjective.

Petting a puppy = right

abusing children = wrong

The Princes of the Universe
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby The Princes of the Universe » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:11 pm

Gauthier wrote:
Arcturus Novus wrote:Assuming that he'll ever actually regret his actions. Which, as of late, is unlikely.

In his case, unless he's in solitary, there are prison gangs he'd likely meet that would stoke his flames. :unsure:
Pro dolorosa Eius passione, miserere nobis et totius mundi.

In nomine Patris et Filii et Spiritus Sancti.
Domine Iesu Christe, Fili Dei, miserere mei, peccatoris.

The Realm of Lordaeron
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Realm of Lordaeron » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:12 pm

Thermodolia wrote:

Roof is far from innocent

The thing about Government policy is that it has to be applied broadly and equally.

Killing this cocksucker won't end terrorism or racism. He's a scumbag, but the cost of the death penalty transcends this one crime.
Enjoying yourself?

Southerly Gentleman
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 07, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Southerly Gentleman » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:12 pm

Thermodolia wrote:

My morals are already screwed up so I don't care

then no one has any reason to regard your opinion on a morally-charged topic.
電光石火Lightning fast
For: RAGE, hypercapitalism, national fragmentation, city-states, transhumanism
Against: Feminism, identity politics, gun control, liberal-progressivism

Arcturus Novus
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 03, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Arcturus Novus » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:12 pm

Gauthier wrote:
Arcturus Novus wrote:Assuming that he'll ever actually regret his actions. Which, as of late, is unlikely.

He'd probably fit right in with the Aryan Brotherhood...
Arcy (she/her), NS' fourth-favorite transsexual communist!
"I can fix her!" cool, I'm gonna make her worse.
me - my politics - my twitter
Nilokeras wrote:there is of course an interesting thread to pull on [...]
Unfortunately we're all forced to participate in whatever baroque humiliation kink the OP has going on instead.

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:15 pm

The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp wrote:
greed and death wrote:

Petting a puppy = right

abusing children = wrong

What if that puppy doesn't want to be pet?

Also the world isn't so black and white
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Targovia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jan 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Targovia » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:16 pm

He needs life on prison, not state-sanctioned murder. If he dies, he'll be a martyr, as several of you have already pointed out.

Besides, perhaps God will punish him in due time.
Politics is C A N C E R O U S

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:17 pm

Thermodolia wrote:Roof is far from innocent

The thing about Government policy is that it has to be applied broadly and equally.

Killing this cocksucker won't end terrorism or racism. He's a scumbag, but the cost of the death penalty transcends this one crime.

I never claimed that it would. Damn the cost
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Gauthier
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:17 pm

Arcturus Novus wrote:
Gauthier wrote:Years of prison can do wonders.

He'd probably fit right in with the Aryan Brotherhood...

And there's probably a few black gangs in there as well. The Aryans would need to babysit him 24/7.
Crimes committed by Muslims will be a pan-Islamic plot and proof of Islam's inherent evil. On the other hand crimes committed by non-Muslims will merely be the acts of loners who do not represent their belief system at all.
The probability of one's participation in homosexual acts is directly proportional to one's public disdain and disgust for homosexuals.
If a political figure makes an accusation of wrongdoing without evidence, odds are probable that the accuser or an associate thereof has in fact committed the very same act, possibly to a worse degree.
Where is your God-Emperor now?

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:18 pm

Thermodolia wrote:My morals are already screwed up so I don't care

then no one has any reason to regard your opinion on a morally-charged topic.

I'm not forcing anyone to do so. I'm not the one replying to myself now am I?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

The Realm of Lordaeron
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Realm of Lordaeron » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:18 pm

Thermodolia wrote:

I never claimed that it would. Damn the cost

There really is no way to argue with an opinion entirely based in emotion with no basis in fact.

State policy should not be determined by raw emotion and how you 'feel' something should be, there should be facts behind it. It objectively costs more and endangers innocent people.
Enjoying yourself?

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General