NATION

PASSWORD

How do we restore democracy to the United States?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Southerly Gentleman
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 07, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Southerly Gentleman » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:29 pm

Feriq wrote:Why is it that American democracy in enslaved to the Southerners? They're not significant enough to warrant such power much less competent enough to wield it. It is the educated coastal elites that will usher in a new age of American dominance, not irrelevant xenophobic laborers.

yo San Lumen, is that you bro?
電光石火Lightning fast
For: RAGE, hypercapitalism, national fragmentation, city-states, transhumanism
Against: Feminism, identity politics, gun control, liberal-progressivism

Belovakia
Lobbyist

Founded: Jan 09, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Belovakia » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:32 pm

America was never a Democracy. It has been and will be a Constitutional Republic. Democracy is just Mob Rule in my opinion.

Southerly Gentleman
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Southerly Gentleman » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:33 pm

Belovakia wrote:America was never a Democracy. It has been and will be a Constitutional Republic. Democracy is just Mob Rule in my opinion.

how is America not a democracy?
電光石火Lightning fast

Bakery Hill
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 03, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Bakery Hill » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:35 pm

Feriq wrote:Why is it that American democracy in enslaved to the Southerners? They're not significant enough to warrant such power much less competent enough to wield it. It is the educated coastal elites that will usher in a new age of American dominance, not irrelevant xenophobic laborers.

Peak liberalism? D:
Founder of the Committee for Proletarian Morality - Winner of Best Communist Award 2018 - Godfather of NSG Syndicalism

Mattopilos
Senator

Founded: Apr 22, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Mattopilos » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:44 pm

Holy Jakelandion Empire wrote:
Liriena wrote:The electoral college is an anachronism, and it undermines the most basic principle of democracy (that every person's vote is equal in worth). Also, voter ID laws as they exist today are little more than poll taxes that purposefully depress turnout among Democratic-leaning demographics, and no, Hillary Clinton did not win the popular vote because of undocumented immigrants voting. This is a far right lie, and a stupid one at that.

Also... "filthy urban dwellers"? That's you insulting many of your fellow posters.

America was never truly a democracy, so why make it one? America is a representative republic.

Plus, I don't happen to care about offending people...

I don't think you understand what democracy means if you think America is not one.
"From each according to their ability, to each according to their needs"
Dialectic egoist/Communist Egoist, Post-left anarchist, moral nihilist, Intersectional Anarcha-feminist.
my political compass:Economic Left/Right: -8.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.23

Pros:Anarchy, Communism (not that of Stalin or Mao), abortion rights, LGBTI rights, secularism i.e. SOCAS, Agnostic atheism, free speech (within reason), science, most dark humor, dialectic egoism, anarcha-feminism.
Cons: Capitalism, Free market, Gnostic atheism and theism, the far right, intolerance of any kind, dictatorships, pseudoscience and snake-oil peddling, imperialism and overuse of military, liberalism, radical and liberal feminism

Mattopilos
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Mattopilos » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:45 pm

Belovakia wrote:America was never a Democracy. It has been and will be a Constitutional Republic. Democracy is just Mob Rule in my opinion.

Although I love to call democracy mob rule, America is in fact a democracy - a representative democracy.
Dialectic egoist/Communist Egoist, Post-left anarchist, moral nihilist, Intersectional Anarcha-feminist.

Pros:Anarchy, Communism (not that of Stalin or Mao), abortion rights, LGBTI rights, secularism i.e. SOCAS, Agnostic atheism, free speech (within reason), science, most dark humor, dialectic egoism, anarcha-feminism.
Cons: Capitalism, Free market, Gnostic atheism and theism, the far right, intolerance of any kind, dictatorships, pseudoscience and snake-oil peddling, imperialism and overuse of military, liberalism, radical and liberal feminism

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:47 pm

Hamiltonians unite!

Grinning Dragon
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 16, 2011
Anarchy

Postby Grinning Dragon » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:56 pm

Mattopilos wrote:

Although I love to call democracy mob rule, America is in fact a democracy - a representative democracy.

The founding fathers established a Constitutional Republic.

As there is a degree of depravity in mankind which requires a certain degree of circumspection and distrust: So there are other qualities in human nature, which justify a certain portion of esteem and confidence. Republican government (that of a Republic) presupposes the existence of these qualities in a higher degree than any other form. Were the pictures which have been drawn by the political jealousy of some among us, faithful likenesses of the human character, the inference would be that there is not sufficient virtue among men for self government; and that nothing less than the chains of despotism can restrain them from destroying and devouring one another.
- Madison federalist 55.

An elective despotism was not the government we fought for...
- Jefferson
If I remember correctly a Representative Democracy lacks a written Constitution limiting The Majority
Last edited by Grinning Dragon on Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Southerly Gentleman
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Southerly Gentleman » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:34 pm

Grinning Dragon wrote:
- Jefferson
If I remember correctly a Representative Democracy lacks a written Constitution limiting The Majority

a written constitution limiting the majority would still fit most definitions of democracy.
電光石火Lightning fast

Mattopilos
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Mattopilos » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:35 pm

Southerly Gentleman wrote:
Grinning Dragon wrote: - Jefferson

a written constitution limiting the majority would still fit most definitions of democracy.

It is more like a form of democracy that keeps controls in place in an attempt to prevent the unwanted effect of The Majority, which is "Mob Rule".

Venerable Bede
Minister

Founded: Nov 18, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Venerable Bede » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:42 pm

It technically places the parliament above the plebs, since they control the constitution.
Orthodox Christian
The Path to Salvation
The Way of a Pilgrim
Nihilism: The Root of the Revolution of the Modern Age
The heart of the wise is in the house of mourning, but the heart of fools is in the house of mirth. (Ecclesiastes 7:4)
A sacrifice to God is a brokenspirit; a broken and humbled heart God will not despise. (Psalm 50:19--Orthodox, Protestant 51:19)
For godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation not to be repented of: but the sorrow of the world worketh death. (2 Corinthians 7:10)
And one of the company said unto him, Master, speak to my brother, that he divide the inheritance with me. And he said unto him, Man, who made me a judge or a divider over you? (Luke 12:13-14)

Southerly Gentleman
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Southerly Gentleman » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:00 pm

Venerable Bede wrote:
Southerly Gentleman wrote:a written constitution limiting the majority would still fit most definitions of democracy.

It technically places the parliament above the plebs, since they control the constitution.

Yes, but the plebs can also change the constitution in some nations via referendums and the like.
電光石火Lightning fast

Elwher
Powerbroker

Founded: May 24, 2012
Capitalizt

Postby Elwher » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:03 pm

Venerable Bede wrote:
Southerly Gentleman wrote:a written constitution limiting the majority would still fit most definitions of democracy.

As it should be, in a government of laws, not a government of men.
CYNIC, n. A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they ought to be. Hence the custom among the Scythians of plucking out a cynic's eyes to improve his vision.
Ambrose Bierce

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 30, 2012
New York Times Democracy

Postby Forsher » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:29 pm

As long as the constitution can change (even if it is very difficult to change... as is the case in the US) and change is a function of peoples' opinions and we interpret democracy to be nothing more than the "people's rule" then yes.

Great Minarchistan wrote:That is why I think American Independence should've been different... Or if british government wasn't simply dumb at the point of raise taxes like crazy and spark an anti-monarchist feeling among the population.

They weren't.

Turns out some people want to have their cake and eat it too. This is not surprising... possibly it describes the course of history remarkably well.

New New Reno wrote:
... America isn't a democracy, it is a republic. Secondly, the electoral college has been around since the start of the nation, so I am unsure what you mean by, restore.

^

This claim has been attacked repeatedly and been defended from those attacks... never. I wonder why...

how is America not a democracy?

lol some random crap some dead dudes said.

Case in point:

Grinning Dragon wrote:
Mattopilos wrote:

The founding fathers established a Constitutional Republic.

As there is a degree of depravity in mankind which requires a certain degree of circumspection and distrust: So there are other qualities in human nature, which justify a certain portion of esteem and confidence. Republican government (that of a Republic) presupposes the existence of these qualities in a higher degree than any other form. Were the pictures which have been drawn by the political jealousy of some among us, faithful likenesses of the human character, the inference would be that there is not sufficient virtue among men for self government; and that nothing less than the chains of despotism can restrain them from destroying and devouring one another.
- Madison federalist 55.

- Jefferson

I see your dead dudes and raise you an even deader dude:

"I beseech you, in the bowels of Christ, think it possible that you they may be mistaken"

QED.

Mattopilos wrote:

It is more like a form of democracy that keeps controls in place in an attempt to prevent the unwanted effect of The Majority, which is "Mob Rule".

It's also completely unnecessary,, if that's the only purpose of a written constitution... as shown by Real Life.

Not that written constitutions must succeed in constraining (electoral) majorities.

Venerable Bede wrote:It technically places the parliament above the plebs, since they control the constitution.

Yes, but the plebs can also change the constitution in some nations via referendums and the like.

I suggest that parliament's decision is a function of electoral outcomes, which you can see are unambiguously a function of "the plebs". I will demonstrate this via analogy. Pretend that there are some functions:

E = X + 4
G = ln(E)

if C is the result of f(G) then there is some e such that C = ln(e)

=> C = ln(x+4)

That is, if we imagine that C is analogous to constitutional change we have thus used this maths based analogy to show that whatever electorate's constitution has been change is dependent upon the people, i.e. people have power. (Disclaimer... my maths may be terrible... you get the idea, yes?)

Also, notice, this is not a particularly democratic country... there is some bias (+4) going on. I guess the pure democracy has G = E.

Don't try and understand the variables... they don't have meaning. It's 4x = 6x stuff really.

Elwher wrote:
Venerable Bede wrote:It technically places the parliament above the plebs, since they control the constitution.

As it should be, in a government of laws, not a government of men.

I will quote me at you (the deader dude was the nefarious Lord Protector, Oliver Cromwell):

"One seeks a vehicle to combat the machinations of the legal profession and its clients through legislation."

Law should reflect society. It shouldn't change constantly but nor should it be static. Nor should the Law be above Man... it is something that we have developed to play our myriad games, it is not something Other.

But if we return to my "maths" above, notice how I made Government the natural log of the election? This is because log increases slowly. Although, again, I should emphasise that I am not particularly good at maths* and that this stuff doesn't really have a lot of meaning... it does, I think, illustrate the idea, though, which was the point.

*Perhaps Salandriagado will read this post. As far as I remember, he's actually good at maths so if I've done something completely stupid above I and he sees it, I'm sure I'll end up in the gallery of stupid quotes... this is the nature of forums, in the long term you end up with some sort of long term quality control.
Last edited by Forsher on Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
That it Could be What it Is, Is What it Is

Stop making shit up, though. Links, or it's a God-damn lie and you know it.

The normie life is heteronormie

We won't know until 2053 when it'll be really obvious what he should've done. [...] We have no option but to guess.

Southerly Gentleman
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Southerly Gentleman » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:58 pm

Forsher wrote:
Southerly Gentleman wrote:Yes, but the plebs can also change the constitution in some nations via referendums and the like.

I suggest that parliament's decision is a function of electoral outcomes, which you can see are unambiguously a function of "the plebs".

E = X + 4
G = ln(E)

=> C = ln(x+4)

That is, if we imagine that C is constitutional change we have thus used maths to show that whatever electorate's constitution has been change is dependent upon the people, i.e. people have power. (Disclaimer... my maths may be terrible... you get the idea, yes?)

Also, notice, this is not a particularly democratic country... there is some bias (+4) going on. I guess the pure democracy has G = E.

can you define your variables? I'm struggling to see what you're doing with them or how it pertains to democracy.
電光石火Lightning fast

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 30, 2012
New York Times Democracy

Postby Forsher » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:11 pm

Forsher wrote:
I suggest that parliament's decision is a function of electoral outcomes, which you can see are unambiguously a function of "the plebs".

E = X + 4
G = ln(E)

=> C = ln(x+4)

That is, if we imagine that C is constitutional change we have thus used maths to show that whatever electorate's constitution has been change is dependent upon the people, i.e. people have power. (Disclaimer... my maths may be terrible... you get the idea, yes?)

can you define your variables? I'm struggling to see what you're doing with them or how it pertains to democracy.

That's what I meant by "this stuff doesn't really have a lot of meaning" a little bit further along... there isn't really an interpretation of this.

I mean, if you imagine that X is the number of votes received by the party that also happened to win the election, we see that this particular party has some sort of systemic advantage. Maybe, for instance, they've managed to gerrymander 4 votes for sure. So, you can kind of make some sort of interpretation there... but 4 votes?

If you look at G? We could, for instance, assume that G is defined purely for values of E such that G is in the interval [0,1] but ln(4) is 1.39 (2dp) so that doesn't really make sense. Perhaps, it's [0,100] with each element of that interval corresponding to the percentage of the party's policy that is implemented. In this sense, the constitutional change C happens to be the proportion of their policy such that some policy the party has that changes the constitution is implemented, i.e. it's a particular value of G. This isn't particularly realistic and, to my mind, is sufficiently unrealistic that it's not a meaningful interpretation (but it's the best I could do). For instance, policy also depends on time and the existing policy (path dependency)... maybe this is some bizarre regression.

Anyway, the idea was really simply to show that just because I define G based on E (or government based on representation rather than referenda) that doesn't mean that G doesn't depend on the plebs (because the electoral outcome determines representation). Or, perhaps a better way of putting it that doesn't involve mucking around with (bad?) functions, the effects of the election are felt through representative government, i.e. people still have power in representative government, therefore, representative government is democratic.

Um, maybe I should just say that x is some means of representing the outcome of the election. C is some thing that a government has done and it is a function of that government. But that government is a function of the election (represented, somehow, by x) and thus things that a government does is a function of people... and if this is true, you have democracy.
That it Could be What it Is, Is What it Is

Stop making shit up, though. Links, or it's a God-damn lie and you know it.

The normie life is heteronormie

We won't know until 2053 when it'll be really obvious what he should've done. [...] We have no option but to guess.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 15, 2014
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:12 pm

You can't restore something that's never been gone.

The Portland Territory
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 12, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby The Portland Territory » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:14 pm

San Lumen wrote:Very simple

get rid of the electoral college and have all votes be equal, make gerrymandering illegal and all districts drawn by a independent commission and ensure everyone who is a citizen has the right to vote without being impeded in any way.

I think this is one of the few times when you and I agree on something
Korwin-Mikke 2020
Տխերք հավակեկ բոզերա. Կոոնել կոոնելով Արաչ ենկ երտոոմ մինչեվ Բակու

16 year old Monarchist from Rhode Island. Interested in economics, governance, metaphysical philosophy, European + Near Eastern history, vexillology, faith, hunting, automotive, ranching, science fiction, music, and anime.

Pro: Absolute Monarchy, Lex Rex, Subsidiarity, Guild Capitalism, Property Rights, Tridentine Catholicism, Unlimited Gun Rights, Hierarchy, Traditionalism, Ethnic Nationalism, Irredentism
Mixed: Fascism, Anarcho Capitalism, Donald Trump
Against: Democracy/ Democratic Republicanism, Egalitarianism, Direct Taxation, Cultural Marxism, Redistribution of Wealth

Telconi
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Telconi » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:18 pm

get rid of the electoral college and have all votes be equal, make gerrymandering illegal and all districts drawn by a independent commission and ensure everyone who is a citizen has the right to vote without being impeded in any way.

How would you accomplish an independent commission?
-2.25 LEFT
-3.23 LIBERTARIAN

PRO:
-Weapons Rights
-Gender Equality
-LGBTQ Rights
-Racial Equality
-Religious Freedom
-Freedom of Speech
-Freedom of Association
-Life
-Limited Government
-Non Interventionism
-Labor Unions
-Environmental Protections
ANTI:
-Racism
-Sexism
-Bigotry In All Forms
-Government Overreach
-Government Surveillance
-Freedom For Security Social Transactions
-Unnecessary Taxes
-Excessively Specific Government Programs
-Foreign Entanglements
-Religious Extremism
-Fascists Masquerading as "Social Justice Warriors"

"The Constitution is NOT an instrument for the government to restrain the people,it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government-- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." ~ Patrick Henry

Washington Resistance Army
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 08, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby Washington Resistance Army » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:20 pm

Telconi wrote:

How would you accomplish an independent commission?

By stacking it with Democrats of course.
Hellenic Polytheist, Socialist

Yorkers
Minister

Founded: Oct 27, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Yorkers » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:40 pm

Repeal the Direct Election of Senators Amendment
Federal prohibition on felons voting
Federal prohibition on non-citizens voting
National Voter ID system, provided free to all citizens
Limit campaign season to three months before the election
Abolish SuperPACs
Prohibit campaign fundraising from banks and utility companies
"Providence has been pleased to give this one connected country to one united people, a people descended from the same ancestors, speaking the same language, professing the same religion, attached to the same principles of government, very similar in their manners and customs."
-John Jay, 1787

Dancing in the moonlight.
I wish that every kiss was never-ending.

An alternate history epic.

sa-wish!

Yorkers is a wealthy WASP playground inspired by L.L. Bean and Vineyard Vines catalogs and 19th Century Anglo-American nativism.

Yorkers
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Yorkers » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:41 pm

You can abolish gerrymandering by requiring that all congressional districts correspond with municipal and county boundaries.
"Providence has been pleased to give this one connected country to one united people, a people descended from the same ancestors, speaking the same language, professing the same religion, attached to the same principles of government, very similar in their manners and customs."
-John Jay, 1787

sa-wish!

Yorkers is a wealthy WASP playground inspired by L.L. Bean and Vineyard Vines catalogs and 19th Century Anglo-American nativism.

Great Minarchistan
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 08, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Minarchistan » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:42 pm

Nilla Wayfarers wrote:
Great Minarchistan wrote:
That is why I think American Independence should've been different... Or if british government wasn't simply dumb at the point of raise taxes like crazy and spark an anti-monarchist feeling among the population.

If you think the taxes on the American colonies were punitive, you should read up on them.

High or not, american people were clearly not happy with tariff hikes.
Awarded for Best Capitalist in 2018 NSG Awards ;')
##############################
Fmr. libertarian, irredeemable bank shill and somewhere inbetween classical liberalism and neoliberalism // Political Compass: +8.75 Economic, -2.25 Social (May 2019)

Yorkers
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Yorkers » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:46 pm

Nilla Wayfarers wrote:
Great Minarchistan wrote:
That is why I think American Independence should've been different... Or if british government wasn't simply dumb at the point of raise taxes like crazy and spark an anti-monarchist feeling among the population.

If you think the taxes on the American colonies were punitive, you should read up on them.

It's not that they were punitive, it's that they were not consented to. Didn't we all learn "No Taxation Without Representation" in elementary school?

Also, it was part of a long list of transgressions, most onerously, Britain prevent Americans from settling the Ohio Country, even though many had just fought and died to conquer those lands just ten years before.
-John Jay, 1787

sa-wish!

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:59 pm

Yorkers wrote:
Nilla Wayfarers wrote:If you think the taxes on the American colonies were punitive, you should read up on them.

It's not that they were punitive, it's that they were not consented to. Didn't we all learn "No Taxation Without Representation" in elementary school?

Also, it was part of a long list of transgressions, most onerously, Britain prevent Americans from settling the Ohio Country, even though many had just fought and died to conquer those lands just ten years before.

Because the Empire didn't want to cause trouble with the natives.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General