NATION

PASSWORD

Right-Wing Discussion Thread VIII: McCarthy Was Right

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Favourite Right-Wing Revolution/Uprising/Coup?

War In The Vendée, 1793 (France)
7%
Southern Secession, 1860 (USA)
15%
Boxer Rebellion, 1899 (China)
5%
March On Rome, 1922 (Italy)
12%
National Revolution, 1926 (Portugal)
1%
Spanish Nationalist Coup, 1936 (Spain)
13%
May 16 Coup, 1961 (S. Korea)
4%
Chilean Coup, 1973 (Chile)
11%
Autumn Of Nations, 1989 (International)
24%
Other (Please State)
9%

Total votes : 123

Minzerland II
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 27, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Minzerland II » Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:45 pm

Napkiraly wrote:
Mikelheim wrote:What does RWDT think of legalizing recreational marijuana?

For it, even though I am personally against marijuana usage myself.

^This.
Previous Profile: Minzerland
Donkey Advocate & Herald of Donkeydom
St Anselm of Canterbury wrote:[…]who ever heard of anything having two mothers or two fathers? (Monologion, pg. 63)

Napkiraly
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Napkiraly » Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:46 pm

Jute wrote:
United Muscovite Nations wrote:No, I'm saying that, fucking somehow, India has held itself together despite having basically no common identity. It is an empire without and emperor

India is held together by its democratic institutions, a bit similar to the US which is also essentially (at least) two very different cultures in one country, not counting the native ones. That's called civic nationalism.

America is more cultural nationalist tbh.

Questers
Postmaster-General

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Questers » Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:49 pm

Napkiraly wrote:
Questers wrote:I am against legalising drugs.

All of them or just some of them?
I'm not going to be drawn into the "why not tobacco and alcohol too!" argument because its flaws as an argument against prohibition of other drugs is well established.

also, tfw youre on a thread full of conservatives who think drugs should be legalised.

Point A:
"Decriminalisation" is a fad term. The only effect of decriminalisation is to make legalisation happen later rather than immediately. It's a continuation of the presently existing policy, which is ...

Point B:
There is no such thing as the war on drugs. It isn't "unenforceable" - it's unenforced. Pro-drug debaters claim that the ease of finding drugs is an argument in favour of legalising them. But this isn't true for any other thing that is illegal. It is not easy to find stolen goods. It is not easy to find illegal firearms. It is not easy to find a stolen car, or buy a stolen credit card or identity. Why? Because all those things are actually rigorously enforced. Law enforcement in those areas tackles demand; it finds, prosecutes, and imprisons people who break the law. In drugs, this isn't true. The police prosecute the suppliers, but they don't look to demand.

Point C:
Society has the right to impose restrictions on substances which affect public health and which destroy families. If some people have to have their lives ruined for breaking the law this will only be temporary. But nobody forced them to break the law. Drugs are a temptation. If there were practical reasons to avoid them, people wouldn't do them. Law enforcement can provide that practical reason.
Last edited by Questers on Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Restore the Crown

Great Minarchistan
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 08, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Minarchistan » Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:55 pm

Questers wrote:also, tfw youre on a thread full of conservatives who think drugs should be legalised.

ahem I'm a fiscal conservative and therefore I defend the legalization so we can earn more monies.

Questers wrote:Point C:
Society has the right to impose restrictions on substances which affect public health and which destroy families. If some people have to have their lives ruined for breaking the law this will only be temporary. But nobody forced them to break the law. Drugs are a temptation. If there were practical reasons to avoid them, people wouldn't do them.

Then I don't think you have a problem with Supernanny States prohibiting things such as sugary drinks or fast food.
Awarded for Best Capitalist in 2018 NSG Awards ;')
##############################
Fmr. libertarian, irredeemable bank shill and somewhere inbetween classical liberalism and neoliberalism // Political Compass: +8.75 Economic, -2.25 Social (May 2019)

Questers
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Questers » Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:57 pm

Great Minarchistan wrote:Then I don't think you have a problem with Supernanny States prohibiting things such as sugary drinks or fast food.
Nope.

Just like I don't have a problem with the state controlling water and air quality or what ingredients can and can not be put into food and what can or can not be marketed as medicine.

Great Minarchistan wrote:ahem I'm a fiscal conservative and therefore I defend the legalization so we can earn more monies.
"fiscal" and "social" conservatism is a dumb lie used to explain why people can hold contradictory positions.

But there you are - you are a 'conservative' and a 'minarchist' so you support allowing 18 year olds to buy drugs so that the state can tax them to fund government projects. Hmmm.
Last edited by Questers on Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Restore the Crown

Great Minarchistan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Minarchistan » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:04 pm

Questers wrote:
Great Minarchistan wrote:Then I don't think you have a problem with Supernanny States prohibiting things such as sugary drinks or fast food.
Nope.

Just like I don't have a problem with the state controlling water and air quality or what ingredients can and can not be put into food and what can or can not be marketed as medicine.

If you aren't against the prohibition of sugary drinks and fast food, why are you against the legalization of drugs? You know what, sugar and salt can be as tempting and harmful as drugs.

Questers wrote:"fiscal" and "social" conservatism is a dumb lie used to explain why people can hold contradictory positions.

Wrong.Conservative and liberal can have different meanings, and identify them by social and fiscal makes it easier to understand a position.

Questers wrote:But there you are - you are a 'conservative' and a 'minarchist' so you support allowing 18 year olds to buy drugs so that the state can tax them to fund government projects. Hmmm.

I never mentioned a word about taxation... :roll:
Last edited by Great Minarchistan on Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fmr. libertarian, irredeemable bank shill and somewhere inbetween classical liberalism and neoliberalism // Political Compass: +8.75 Economic, -2.25 Social (May 2019)

Questers
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Questers » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:07 pm

Great Minarchistan wrote:
Questers wrote: Nope.

If you aren't against the prohibition of sugary drinks and fast food, why are you against the legalization of drugs? You know what, sugar and salt can be as tempting and harmful as drugs.

I am actually in favour of the state regulating sugary drinks and other things also. Sugar is a massive public health crisis (I'm not sure that fast food is that bad, tbh.) The dangers of sugary drinks and fast food are completely different to narcotics and don't warrant sending people to jail for using them. This is called proportionality.
Restore the Crown

Questers
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Questers » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:08 pm

Great Minarchistan wrote:can have different meanings, and identify them by social and fiscal makes it easier to understand a position.
Yes, maybe if your understanding of politics comes from wikipedia.

Great Minarchistan wrote:I never mentioned a word about taxation... :roll:

Great Minarchistan wrote:we can earn more monies
I don't believe you are a drug dealer, but if you were, that would prove my point exactly.
Last edited by Questers on Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Restore the Crown

Great Minarchistan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Minarchistan » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:18 pm

Questers wrote:I am actually in favour of the state regulating sugary drinks and other things also. Sugar is a massive public health crisis (I'm not sure that fast food is that bad, tbh.)

Why can't people make their own decisions?

Questers wrote:The dangers of sugary drinks and fast food are completely different to narcotics and don't warrant sending people to jail for using them. This is called proportionality.

Very well, if you want to talk about proportionality, why not legalize khat? It does less harm than tobacco, alcohol (maybe sugar), weed and another drugs.

Questers wrote:Yes, maybe if your understanding of politics comes from wikipedia.

Nah, my understanding of politics just tells me that for the sake of simplicity the terms liberal and conservative should be carefully inserted.

Questers wrote:I don't believe you are a drug dealer, but if you were, that would prove my point exactly.

If I ever produced the drug, I wouldn't be a drug dealer... :)
Last edited by Great Minarchistan on Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Founded: Mar 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:30 pm

Questers wrote:But there you are - you are a 'conservative' and a 'minarchist' so you support allowing 18 year olds to buy drugs so that the state can tax them to fund government projects. Hmmm.

He probably doesn't. I support people 21 years old and older to buy drugs so that the state can tax them to fund government projects, yes.

If drugs are a lucrative commodity underground, of course that, as a currency-centric capitalist who thinks the government should tax the proceeds of drugs and regulate them, I want the state to get some of that money to go to public projects.

Any money that isn't taxed is a wasted opportunity to not get more money to fund infrastructure, social services, and so on.
Soldati senza confini: Better than an iPod in shuffle more with 20,000 songs.
Tekania wrote:Welcome to NSG, where informed opinions get to bump-heads with ignorant ideology under the pretense of an equal footing.

"When it’s a choice of putting food on the table, or thinking about your morals, it’s easier to say you’d think about your morals, but only if you’ve never faced that decision." - Anastasia Richardson

Current Goal: Flesh out nation factbook.

Greater USA
Spokesperson

Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater USA » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:37 pm

Soldati Senza Confini wrote:

He probably doesn't. I support people 21 years old and older to buy drugs so that the state can tax them to fund government projects, yes.

If drugs are a lucrative commodity underground, of course that, as a currency-centric capitalist who thinks the government should tax the proceeds of drugs and regulate them, I want the state to get some of that money to go to public projects.

Any money that isn't taxed is a wasted opportunity to not get more money to fund infrastructure, social services, and so on.

The problem with hard drugs is that their presence disrupts communities and life beyond what we see with alcohol and tobacco. Criminal activity is tied to areas with illegal drug usage, and this isn't just due to smuggling being banned. Drugs have severe effects on health, economic productivity, safety, gang activity, etc.
Raise a glass to free markets, republicanism, and liberty!
_[' ]_
(-_Q) If you support capitalism, put this in your signature.
Right-leaning centrist.
Kasich 2020!

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:40 pm

Greater USA wrote:
Soldati Senza Confini wrote:

The problem with hard drugs is that their presence disrupts communities and life beyond what we see with alcohol and tobacco. Criminal activity is tied to areas with illegal drug usage, and this isn't just due to smuggling being banned. Drugs have severe effects on health, economic productivity, safety, gang activity, etc.

Fund hospitals and rehabilitation centers with the drug tax money
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Great Minarchistan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Minarchistan » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:41 pm

Thermodolia wrote:
Greater USA wrote:

^ that's an option

Also, with the legalization of drugs you can get deeper into medicine that uses cannabis for treatment for example, allowing more affordable healthcare.

The East Marches II
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 11, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby The East Marches II » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:44 pm

No to sin taxes in general, insurance can rape you in prices if you want a bad habit.

Great Minarchistan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Minarchistan » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:46 pm

The East Marches II wrote:No to sin taxes in general, insurance can rape you in prices if you want a bad habit.

B-But muh supernanny state

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:47 pm

The East Marches II wrote:No to sin taxes in general, insurance can rape you in prices if you want a bad habit.

Well I'm not the biggest fan of insurance companies in general, they are a pos and a pain in the ass.
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:47 pm

B-But muh supernanny state

Foiled again!
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

The East Marches II
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The East Marches II » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:49 pm

Thermodolia wrote:

Well I'm not the biggest fan of insurance companies in general, they are a pos and a pain in the ass.

And my experience with government care leads me to believe they are incompetent fucks. Unless Uncle Sam is providing the insurance himself, he has no interest in that sort of thing. Sin taxes are merely a gimmick for moral busy bodies to feign disapproval while profiting from your choice. It's the worst sort of hypocrisy.

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:50 pm

I wouldn't go with a sin tax.

But rather categorize it under a luxury sales tax instead.

I mean, cannabis doesn't have much bad side effects so a sin tax is wholly unnecessary.

Heck, just with a sales tax in many states you could have millions of dollars into your economy. Just. The Sales Tax.
Tekania wrote:Welcome to NSG, where informed opinions get to bump-heads with ignorant ideology under the pretense of an equal footing.

"When it’s a choice of putting food on the table, or thinking about your morals, it’s easier to say you’d think about your morals, but only if you’ve never faced that decision." - Anastasia Richardson

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:50 pm

The East Marches II wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:Well I'm not the biggest fan of insurance companies in general, they are a pos and a pain in the ass.

And my experience with government care leads me to believe they are incompetent fucks. Unless Uncle Sam is providing the insurance himself, he has no interest in that sort of thing. Sin taxes are merely a gimmick for moral busy bodies to feign disapproval while profiting from your choice. It's the worst sort of hypocrisy.

Oh I'm well aware of the first sentence. I've been trying to avoid calling the VA all week but it looks like I'll have to.
But I would just go with a sales tax and not a sin tax
Last edited by Thermodolia on Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Greater USA
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater USA » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:52 pm

Thermodolia wrote:
Greater USA wrote:

That could work, but I'm also concerned about drugs being widely accessible in the community to kids and teens. Especially in inner city areas. I know where I live there are a lot of seedy spots were heroin and LSD are accessible, and this negatively affects downtown life in a noticeable way.

What I'd like to see is law enforcement aggressively cracking down on the drug trade, but primarily focusing on who does the smuggling. If old Joe down the street with a family of 4 has some crack, we shouldn't ruin his life or do an overblown SWAT raid. But the drugs should be confiscated, and he should be expected to give information as to where the drugs came from (with protection for the family for safety concerns).
_[' ]_
Right-leaning centrist.
Kasich 2020!

Great Minarchistan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Minarchistan » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:53 pm

Soldati Senza Confini wrote:I wouldn't go with a sin tax.

But rather categorize it under a luxury sales tax instead.

Ugh. Luxury taxes give me a headache, they bring almost nothing in revenue and are just a pain in the taxpayer's ass.

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:53 pm

The East Marches II wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:Well I'm not the biggest fan of insurance companies in general, they are a pos and a pain in the ass.

Like I told you once before, I'm not a fan of publicly-managed healthcare, but I would consider privately-managed hospitals and rehabilitation centers with public funding (or the Parkland model).

Greater USA
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater USA » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:53 pm

Thermodolia wrote:Fund hospitals and rehabilitation centers with the drug tax money

^ that's an option

Also, with the legalization of drugs you can get deeper into medicine that uses cannabis for treatment for example, allowing more affordable healthcare.

I'm all for legalizing pot, agreed.
_[' ]_
Right-leaning centrist.
Kasich 2020!

The East Marches II
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The East Marches II » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:53 pm

Just sales tax on things would be well enough.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General