NATION

PASSWORD

BongBongLand (Philippine) Discussion Thread

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Novus America
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:44 pm

Rio Cana wrote:
Novus America wrote:
What the heck does that have to do with the Philippines or ASEAN?

Commenting on the following which was said
Why are countries that are so much worse hit by the virus and are already crippled by other socioeconomic and political problems managing vaccine trials better than a group of well-established economically stable (except for the Philippine debt thing) countries?

But that is still a non sequitur. Just saying “this group of countries does something better” does not say WHY the Philippines is not. If he asked why the Philippines has a low GDP per capita me simply saying “Norway has a high GDP per capita says absolutely nothing about why the Philippines does not.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Zombie Ike/Teddy Roosevelt 2020.

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.
Think something like prewar Fallout, minus the bad stuff.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

Free Las Pinas
Diplomat

Founded: May 03, 2020
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Free Las Pinas » Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:24 pm

Europa Undivided wrote:
Manilenyos wrote:You know, I don't really like Duterte, but I also don't want him to be risking his life like that (like, he's kinda our President...)! And if he doesn't become the first Filipino to receive the vaccine, imagine how embarrassing that could be for him. I'm not quite sure if he understands that he's supposed to be representing us, and not embarrassing himself over there!

Embarassing himself is his superpower

Couldn’t have said it better :rofl:

Rio Cana
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 21, 2005
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Rio Cana » Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:04 pm

Found this short video from India on the Russia vaccine. It mentions the Filipino Pres. - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ttTnoQRoE0
National Information
Empire of Rio Cana has been refounded.
We went from Empire to Peoples Republic to two divided Republics one called Marina to back to an Empire. And now a Republic under a military General. Our Popular Music
Our National Love SongOur Military Forces
Formerly appointed twice Minister of Defense and once Minister of Foreign Affairs for South America Region.

Pilipinas and Malaya
Minister

Founded: Jun 23, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Pilipinas and Malaya » Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:23 pm

Rio Cana wrote:
Pilipinas and Malaya wrote:
ASEAN barely agrees on anything, goddamnit. Why are countries that are so much worse hit by the virus and are already crippled by other socioeconomic and political problems managing vaccine trials better than a group of well-established economically stable (except for the Philippine debt thing) countries?

ASEAN can never seem to agree on anything. From the WPS/SCS disputes to the lack of a concerted effort against the coronavirus.

Seems you have not heard about the Pacific Puma Nations - Read - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Pacific_Pumas

Well, I’ll be damned.

Novus America wrote:
Rio Cana wrote:Commenting on the following which was said

But that is still a non sequitur. Just saying “this group of countries does something better” does not say WHY the Philippines is not. If he asked why the Philippines has a low GDP per capita me simply saying “Norway has a high GDP per capita says absolutely nothing about why the Philippines does not.

Just did it for a comparison, because while this group of countries managed to bring together, even a bit late in the game admittedly, ASEAN has not. Not trying to make it a commentary on why the Philippines is doing so bad.

I do admit in hindsight it was a weird comparison though.

Europa Undivided wrote:
Manilenyos wrote:You know, I don't really like Duterte, but I also don't want him to be risking his life like that (like, he's kinda our President...)! And if he doesn't become the first Filipino to receive the vaccine, imagine how embarrassing that could be for him. I'm not quite sure if he understands that he's supposed to be representing us, and not embarrassing himself over there!

Embarassing himself is his superpower

As is the whole supermajority’s.
Federative States of Pilipinas and Malaya
Member of Europe

Homepage (leads to other info dispatches)
Accursed, incomplete, self-made map collection of my universe
NS Stats invalid
Yes, my nation does represent a good chunk of my views
Finally got around to dealing with a bunch of canon stuff, expect them to be updated every once in a while. | *inhales copium* In Civ 7, maybe we'll finally get a Filipino civ? | STREAM SEVENTEEN'S FML, OUT NOW

Rio Cana
Postmaster-General

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Rio Cana » Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:33 am

Seem the Philippines is banning Brazilian frozen chicken due to virus concerns. Seems 20% of the chicken imported from the Philippines comes from Brazil.

Read this - http://www.straitstimes.com/asia/se-asi ... irus-scare

Kind of off-topic - Some here commented on the Pres. of Brazil. It seems his popularity has gone up. And those hating him has gone down.
Story on that - https://www.usnews.com/news/world/artic ... folha-poll
National Information
We went from Empire to Peoples Republic to two divided Republics one called Marina to back to an Empire. And now a Republic under a military General. Our Popular Music
Formerly appointed twice Minister of Defense and once Minister of Foreign Affairs for South America Region.

Pilipinas and Malaya
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Pilipinas and Malaya » Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:36 am

Rio Cana wrote:Seem the Philippines is banning Brazilian frozen chicken due to virus concerns. Seems 20% of the chicken imported from the Philippines comes from Brazil.

Read this - http://www.straitstimes.com/asia/se-asi ... irus-scare

Kind of off-topic - Some here commented on the Pres. of Brazil. It seems his popularity has gone up. And those hating him has gone down.
Story on that - https://www.usnews.com/news/world/artic ... folha-poll

About the first one, fair enough. We may be seeing even further concerns about packages and surfaces being possible transmitters of COVID-19.

As for the second one, you what? Bolsonaro is probably going to continue downplaying COVID seeing as he survived the ordeal. Downplay would likely lead to a decrease in concern towards COVID. Decrease in that concern would lead to carelessness, and that carelessness could bring about even more cases.
Member of Europe

NS Stats invalid
Finally got around to dealing with a bunch of canon stuff, expect them to be updated every once in a while. | *inhales copium* In Civ 7, maybe we'll finally get a Filipino civ? | STREAM SEVENTEEN'S FML, OUT NOW

Rio Cana
Postmaster-General

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Rio Cana » Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:42 pm

Some mentioned the Russian vaccine. If you watch the following video you might change your mind. The following Russian reporter, who trying to be objective about it, says Western news are not being objective. Really informative video but its in Spanish for any FIlipino here who can understand Spanish - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYoei_dQLV4
National Information

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:04 pm

Rio Cana wrote:Some mentioned the Russian vaccine. If you watch the following video you might change your mind. The following Russian reporter, who trying to be objective about it, says Western news are not being objective. Really informative video but its in Spanish for any FIlipino here who can understand Spanish - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYoei_dQLV4

The simple fact is it is impossible for all safety precautions and standards to be followed and yet the vaccine be rushed out so quickly.
It is not at all properly tested.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

Pilipinas and Malaya
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Pilipinas and Malaya » Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:17 am

Novus America wrote:
Rio Cana wrote:Some mentioned the Russian vaccine. If you watch the following video you might change your mind. The following Russian reporter, who trying to be objective about it, says Western news are not being objective. Really informative video but its in Spanish for any FIlipino here who can understand Spanish - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYoei_dQLV4

The simple fact is it is impossible for all safety precautions and standards to be followed and yet the vaccine be rushed out so quickly.

Literally this. Why even attempt to market the virus when you are fully aware that the testing process is incomplete? This set of trials/marketing could uncover a potential adverse reaction or flaw in the vaccine.
Member of Europe

NS Stats invalid

Borderlands of Rojava
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 27, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Borderlands of Rojava » Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:29 am

Pilipinas and Malaya wrote:
Novus America wrote:

Literally this. Why even attempt to market the virus when you are fully aware that the testing process is incomplete? This set of trials/marketing could uncover a potential adverse reaction or flaw in the vaccine.

Meanwhile in the Universe where John Stossel was elected president: "Okay so some people perished due to our new avian flu vaccine. The free market will work and no one will get the vaccine and the problem will be solved."
Last edited by Borderlands of Rojava on Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Leftist, commie and Antifa Guy. Democratic Confederalist, Anti-racist

"The devil is out there. Hiding behind every corner and in every nook and cranny. In all of the dives, all over the city. Before you lays an entire world of enemies, and at day's end when the chips are down, we're a society of strangers. You cant walk by someone on the street anymore without crossing the road to get away from their stare. Welcome to the Twilight Zone. The land of plague and shadow. Nothing innocent survives this world. If it can't corrupt you, it'll kill you."

Pilipinas and Malaya
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Pilipinas and Malaya » Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:01 am

So the 24th is National Heroes Day. I wonder if Duterte will mark the holiday at all considering the current situation.

Also, we have a revolutionary government that is pro-Duterte, but wants constitutional change and government reformation quick. I can understand, but we're dealing with a pandemic at the moment.
Member of Europe

NS Stats invalid

Rio Cana
Postmaster-General

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Rio Cana » Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:36 pm

According to the following internet news show, relations between the Philippines and China are going from bad to worse. And it could draw the US into a showdown with China.

See this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_5PY1Vgxdk&t=3m28s
National Information

Borderlands of Rojava
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Borderlands of Rojava » Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:56 pm

Rio Cana wrote:According to the following internet news show, relations between the Philippines and China are going from bad to worse. And it could draw the US into a showdown with China.

See this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_5PY1Vgxdk&t=3m28s

Fuck no. Why us?

"The devil is out there. Hiding behind every corner and in every nook and cranny. In all of the dives, all over the city. Before you lays an entire world of enemies, and at day's end when the chips are down, we're a society of strangers. You cant walk by someone on the street anymore without crossing the road to get away from their stare. Welcome to the Twilight Zone. The land of plague and shadow. Nothing innocent survives this world. If it can't corrupt you, it'll kill you."

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:18 pm

https://www.google.com/amp/s/mobile.reu ... SKBN25O0SP
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.scmp.c ... ll-call-us

Although it is notable Foreign Secretary Teodoro Locsin is the one saying this, not Duterte. It is very possible that Duterte is not fully aware of it, half the time it seems like one hand of the administration has not idea what the other is doing. Although this is not surprising given the circumstances, one is that Duterte is mentally unstable, capricious and does not seem to be fully aware what he said or though the day before.

Also although Duterte is often hostile to America the majority of Filipinos, especially those in the military and foreign policy establishment tend to be pro America, so there is this sort situation where Duterte is popular but one of his main policies is unpopular.
Which is some odd double think. Duterte ran on stand up to the PRC, and even though he completely betrayed great campaign promise, the majority of the population do not seem to hold the against him.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Borderlands of Rojava
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Borderlands of Rojava » Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:30 pm

Novus America wrote:https://www.google.com/amp/s/mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKBN25O0SP
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.scmp.c ... ll-call-us

Although it is notable Foreign Secretary Teodoro Locsin is the one saying this, not Duterte. It is very possible that Duterte is not fully aware of it, half the time it seems like one hand of the administration has not idea what the other is doing. Although this is not surprising given the circumstances, one is that Duterte is mentally unstable, capricious and does not seem to be fully aware what he said or though the day before.

Also although Duterte is often hostile to America the majority of Filipinos, especially those in the military and foreign policy establishment tend to be pro America, so there is this sort situation where Duterte is popular but one of his main policies is unpopular.
Which is some odd double think. Duterte ran on stand up to the PRC, and even though he completely betrayed great campaign promise, the majority of the population do not seem to hold the against him.

He's filipino Trump.

Free Las Pinas
Diplomat

Left-wing Utopia

Merry Christmas!

Postby Free Las Pinas » Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:17 am

The subject says it all; it’s that time of the year again! I’m excited to see how everyone decides to spend Christmas this year :)

HXVZ-07031017
Attaché

Founded: Jun 24, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby HXVZ-07031017 » Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:21 am

Free Las Pinas wrote:The subject says it all; it’s that time of the year again! I’m excited to see how everyone decides to spend Christmas this year :)

I don't get the Philippine quick Christmas
It's actually ya boi Guzma SatoSere!
SatoSere's FT alter-ego. Actually a sci-fi worldbuilding project that incorporates a lot of childhood daydreams of mine. Still no cursed Ukraine here.
SLAVA LEHIONU!
NSTATS CRUSHED BY TANKS AND THEN THE PLANET OF NSTATS GOT EXTERMINATUS BY TOVARISHCH STEPHEN KIROV

Free Las Pinas
Diplomat

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Free Las Pinas » Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:35 am

HXVZ-07031017 wrote:
Free Las Pinas wrote:The subject says it all; it’s that time of the year again! I’m excited to see how everyone decides to spend Christmas this year :)

I don't get the Philippine quick Christmas

Well, some of us start celebrations on the first of September, others start right after All Soul’s Day or Halloween. Then, we end whenever we feel like it! I think we start this early, because we enjoy counting the days until big celebrations. For most of us, Christmas is also the celebration of Jesus’s birthday, hence why it’s so important and thus is a big celebration we look forward to. I have no idea, however, why we just end whenever we feel like it.

Diahon
Senator

Founded: Apr 01, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Diahon » Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:09 am

speaking of that time of year, it's that time again

time for americans and chileans to mourn and lament, and for us pinoys to rue that one accursed name

who apparently is about to get a national holiday! not just an ilocano incapacity to get greater than that mass murdering greedy piece of shit, but an impending national incapacity as well!

no longer content with that waxwanked body of his to rot in peace, these assholes want to celebrate the motherfucker!

New Visayan Islands
Game Moderator

Founded: Jan 31, 2017
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby New Visayan Islands » Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:27 am

Let "¡Viva la Libertad!" be a cry of Eternal Defiance to the Jackboot.
My TGs are NOT for Mod Stuff.

For details on the man behind NVI, click here.

Borderlands of Rojava
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Borderlands of Rojava » Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:50 am

Are Dutuerte's approval ratings gonna fall below 50% yet or is he as impervious as our president is?

Diahon
Senator

Founded: Apr 01, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Diahon » Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:19 am

Borderlands of Rojava wrote:

Are Dutuerte's approval ratings gonna fall below 50% yet or is he as impervious as our president is?

unlike your president, duts is popular, ridiculously so

which means the officials he appoints or are allied with him can get away with shit like this:

Let us not red-tag Liza Soberano. It's not fair to her. She is merely supporting avocacy for women's rights. Is she an NPA? Of course not. Not yet.

it goes on for a bit, even manages to sneak in attacks against leftist organizations like gabriela (if they're fronts, why not just band them?) and smears on people like colmenares and locsin (he didn't pull the punches on redtagging them), but that "not yet" really sells the passive-aggressive intimidation well

Emperio Maharlika
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 20, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Emperio Maharlika » Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:12 am

Borderlands of Rojava wrote:

sadly, duterte's support remains high due to the fact that the media is all the more tightly controlled in PH. apparently the spread of fake news or misinformation is all the more widespread in the Philippines due to or in part to a lack of a comprehensive education system which isn't even accessible to all families, according to this article in 2018. If the education system does instil soft skills such as critical thinking in its students, not everyone gets the privilege to learn it.

additionally, the 'us vs them' mentality, similar to Trump's 'camp' in America, is predominant in Duterte's 'camp'. You're either 100% for someone or you're automatically out. As such (to my knowledge, please refute if necessary) an average Duterte supporter is either ignorant of, or chooses to ignore the 'bad side' of the president and, if i may put this a lil bit too bluntly, reflects on Duterte's 'achievements' perhaps as a cope which to said supporter suddenly overrules any of his 'bad sides' like his arguable failure of a national anti-drug campaign, the fact that his campaign for federalism hasn't gained a substantive inch of ground and whatnot.
BALITANG MAKABAYAN: Ayala Diversified celebrates 234th anniversary, remains oldest and largest conglomerate in PH  ||  Punong: (Zóbel de Ayala family) aided state development of PH, helped rebuild Mindanao post-2050 Civil War  ||  Chairman of Ayala Diversified: 'We deliver results', alludes to role of conglomerates in economic growth || 1 USD=12.46PHP ||

The Seventh Republic of the Philippines
Oligarchy | PMT | Cyberprep
yeah you guessed it we took the name inspiration from france and then we said why not try developing a filipino chaebol system + some neoliberal economics, a dash of mUh AsiAn CoMmuTiNAiRan ValYOOs (good ol authoritarianism) & haha screw it another jab at how the marcos dynasty just wont GO AWAY

i don’t live in the Philippines although my factbooks tell you otherwise

New Visayan Islands
Game Moderator

Founded: Jan 31, 2017
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby New Visayan Islands » Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:36 am

Let "¡Viva la Libertad!" be a cry of Eternal Defiance to the Jackboot.
My TGs are NOT for Mod Stuff.

For details on the man behind NVI, click here.

Borderlands of Rojava
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Borderlands of Rojava » Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:59 am

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General