NATION

PASSWORD

BongBongLand (Philippine) Discussion Thread

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Victoriala II
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 30, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Victoriala II » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:37 pm

Stormwrath wrote:
Connori Pilgrims wrote:
Better to remember the past, acknowledge the fails, and learn from it... ideally while not repeating or making worse fails.

Unfortunately, our own taongbayan are very fond of NOT learning from the past, or worse actively learning the wrong lessons...

How observant of you, Captain Obvious. Truly, cynicism is what our country needs to go forward. :roll:

thanks I'm a nihilist

Stormwrath
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 08, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Stormwrath » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:21 pm

Connori Pilgrims wrote:
Stormwrath wrote:

Many of our countrymen are actively afraid of confronting their/our worst traits, instead preferring to indulge in moronic "think positive/surround with good vibes" self-brainwashing.

And everytime someone upsets their delusion either by pointing out facts or flaws that we need to fix, on cue, many Filipinos don't take it well (to put it lightly). Anything that threatens their constructed reality bubble would make them think of uncomfortable things both of the country and of themselves, and we can't have that now can we? Meanwhile, nothing gets fixed and the powerful continue screwing up everything.

The fact that all you can muster in reaction to my post is an insipid "your cynicism is bad, we have to believe it'll get better guise", instead of giving a coherent and informed argument as to why anyone should believe this country will do better, is quite demonstrative.

You should be glad people are being cynical and expressing it. It means 1) their cognitive functions haven't been destroyed yet, and more importantly 2) they still give a shit about this crazy collection of islands (especially when they actually happen to live on them, unlike some of the people on this thread who are admitted expatriates with comfortable lives in Australia or USA or some other country).

Or would you rather have apathy instead?

Oh please. You think Filipinos aren't as pessimistic as you think they are? We have millions of reasons to hate this fucking shithole of a country (my wording being case and point). We think that flag ceremonies are an unnecessary chore, we spit on our politicians until we run out of saliva, and we leave the Philippines in droves for greener pastures. Being positive in the face of complete shit isn't a delusion, it's a trait that has kept us going for so long.

Yes, having all sorts of reactions to the situation in this country, including cynicism, are valid expressions. Hell, I'm probably the most cynical person I know. But you don't see me wallowing in abject and utter contempt for this country or its people now do you? Or even self-pity because I cannot change my situation, for all of these things are out of my control?

You're saying that I should be offering solutions instead of complaining about how I'm not being cynical enough. Oh please, I'm as cynical as I can be, and you already know the solutions.

Vulkata II
Minister

Founded: Jun 08, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Vulkata II » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:44 am

Stormwrath wrote:
Connori Pilgrims wrote:

Many of our countrymen are actively afraid of confronting their/our worst traits, instead preferring to indulge in moronic "think positive/surround with good vibes" self-brainwashing.

And everytime someone upsets their delusion either by pointing out facts or flaws that we need to fix, on cue, many Filipinos don't take it well (to put it lightly). Anything that threatens their constructed reality bubble would make them think of uncomfortable things both of the country and of themselves, and we can't have that now can we? Meanwhile, nothing gets fixed and the powerful continue screwing up everything.

The fact that all you can muster in reaction to my post is an insipid "your cynicism is bad, we have to believe it'll get better guise", instead of giving a coherent and informed argument as to why anyone should believe this country will do better, is quite demonstrative.

You should be glad people are being cynical and expressing it. It means 1) their cognitive functions haven't been destroyed yet, and more importantly 2) they still give a shit about this crazy collection of islands (especially when they actually happen to live on them, unlike some of the people on this thread who are admitted expatriates with comfortable lives in Australia or USA or some other country).

Or would you rather have apathy instead?

Oh please. You think Filipinos aren't as pessimistic as you think they are? We have millions of reasons to hate this fucking shithole of a country (my wording being case and point). We think that flag ceremonies are an unnecessary chore, we spit on our politicians until we run out of saliva, and we leave the Philippines in droves for greener pastures. Being positive in the face of complete shit isn't a delusion, it's a trait that has kept us going for so long.

Yes, having all sorts of reactions to the situation in this country, including cynicism, are valid expressions. Hell, I'm probably the most cynical person I know. But you don't see me wallowing in abject and utter contempt for this country or its people now do you? Or even self-pity because I cannot change my situation, for all of these things are out of my control?

You're saying that I should be offering solutions instead of complaining about how I'm not being cynical enough. Oh please, I'm as cynical as I can be, and you already know the solutions.

What you just said reminds me of this:

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/polandball/images/b/b2/LiHtTKp.png/revision/latest?cb=20150904121808
It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived. -George Patton

He alone, who owns the youth, gains the future. -Adolf Hitler

Part of the American dream is to live long and die young. Only those Americans who are willing to die for their country are fit to live. -General MacArthur
The player is currently:Clear|Busy
Great Tawil wrote:The thing is I hate fighting. I just wanna draw flags and make friends

_[' ]_
(-_Q) If you support Capitalism put this in your Signature!

Stormwrath
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Stormwrath » Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:53 am

Saradena
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 17, 2015
New York Times Democracy

Postby Saradena » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:34 am

China to UN: Respect PH sovereignty

What fucking timeline are we on right now
Japanese/Mongolian weeb cesspit nation with a lotta US military hardware
Formerly known as Esgonia (RIP Best Maid)

Call me Es, Essie, Ainsley Harriot, whatever.
Send TG's if you like
  • Part of Novae Terrae/Alithea (Most of our canon stuff's now on Discord anyway. TG me if you're interested!)
  • Does not use NS Stats (I have Factbooks, dammit)
Empire of Donner land wrote:We get it. You're the grand master edge supreme. :P
Victoriala wrote:Thank god we aren't neighbors

Tune of the now: "Zambian Psychedelic Rock music I just found or something"

Vulkata II
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Vulkata II » Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:09 am

On an unrelated note:CJ's impeachment.

Yay or nay?
It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived. -George Patton

Part of the American dream is to live long and die young. Only those Americans who are willing to die for their country are fit to live. -General MacArthur
Great Tawil wrote:The thing is I hate fighting. I just wanna draw flags and make friends

_[' ]_

New Visayan Islands
Game Moderator

Founded: Jan 31, 2017
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby New Visayan Islands » Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:35 am

Saradena wrote:China to UN: Respect PH sovereignty

To be fair, there is a good reason for a nation's sovereignty to be compromised, typically if said sovereignty is used to cover violations of peremptory norms. If it can be determined that the Drug War, inter alia, was being "won" through actions that would qualify as crimes against humanity, Rome Statute or no Rome Statute, someone would have to be held accountable, and even if that person was given the proverbial get-out-of-jail-free card internally, they'd still be on the hook per the Nuremberg Principles, particularly the second principle, which states that the "fact that internal law does not impose a penalty for an act which constitutes a crime under international law does not relieve the person who committed the act from responsibility under international law (emphasis mine)."

Speaking of the ChiComs, arms deals with the West were nixed per arms embargoes established as a result of the Tiananmen Square Massacre of 1989, but I digress.
Let "¡Viva la Libertad!" be a cry of Eternal Defiance to the Jackboot.
My TGs are NOT for Mod Stuff.

For details on the man behind NVI, click here.

Stormwrath
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Stormwrath » Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:21 am

Vulkata II wrote:On an unrelated note:CJ's impeachment.

Yay or nay?

I don't care about the outcome of the impeachment case against Sereno. But ideally the government shouldn't be mulling over impeachments and actually running the country. This llama drama is a diversion.

New Visayan Islands wrote:

To be fair, there is a good reason for a nation's sovereignty to be compromised, typically if said sovereignty is used to cover violations of peremptory norms. If it can be determined that the Drug War, inter alia, was being "won" through actions that would qualify as crimes against humanity, Rome Statute or no Rome Statute, someone would have to be held accountable, and even if that person was given the proverbial get-out-of-jail-free card internally, they'd still be on the hook per the Nuremberg Principles, particularly the second principle, which states that the "fact that internal law does not impose a penalty for an act which constitutes a crime under international law does not relieve the person who committed the act from responsibility under international law (emphasis mine)."

Speaking of the ChiComs, arms deals with the West were nixed per arms embargoes established as a result of the Tiananmen Square Massacre of 1989, but I digress.

Makes the whole argument for sovereignty moot in the eyes of the international community, innit?

Victoriala II
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Victoriala II » Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:20 am

Only Xi dada must be allowed to put the dragon dildo in

New Visayan Islands
Game Moderator

Postby New Visayan Islands » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:32 pm

Stormwrath wrote:

Yay or nay?

I don't care about the outcome of the impeachment case against Sereno. But ideally the government shouldn't be mulling over impeachments and actually running the country. This llama drama is a diversion.

New Visayan Islands wrote:To be fair, there is a good reason for a nation's sovereignty to be compromised, typically if said sovereignty is used to cover violations of peremptory norms. If it can be determined that the Drug War, inter alia, was being "won" through actions that would qualify as crimes against humanity, Rome Statute or no Rome Statute, someone would have to be held accountable, and even if that person was given the proverbial get-out-of-jail-free card internally, they'd still be on the hook per the Nuremberg Principles, particularly the second principle, which states that the "fact that internal law does not impose a penalty for an act which constitutes a crime under international law does not relieve the person who committed the act from responsibility under international law (emphasis mine)."

Makes the whole argument for sovereignty moot in the eyes of the international community, innit?

There is historical precedent, after all, if WW2 is any indication.

Vulkata II
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Vulkata II » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:50 am

Stormwrath wrote:

Yay or nay?

New Visayan Islands wrote:To be fair, there is a good reason for a nation's sovereignty to be compromised, typically if said sovereignty is used to cover violations of peremptory norms. If it can be determined that the Drug War, inter alia, was being "won" through actions that would qualify as crimes against humanity, Rome Statute or no Rome Statute, someone would have to be held accountable, and even if that person was given the proverbial get-out-of-jail-free card internally, they'd still be on the hook per the Nuremberg Principles, particularly the second principle, which states that the "fact that internal law does not impose a penalty for an act which constitutes a crime under international law does not relieve the person who committed the act from responsibility under international law (emphasis mine)."

Sounds about right.

_[' ]_

Vulkata II
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Vulkata II » Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:50 am

So...

Almost one year has been made, has anyone heard anything good from Marawi?

_[' ]_

Stormwrath
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Stormwrath » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:58 am

Vulkata II wrote:So...

Almost one year has been made, has anyone heard anything good from Marawi?

So far no. It's taken a while for rebuilding to start according to some people who went there, since the army's taking their sweet time disarming IEDs.

Victoriala II
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Victoriala II » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:13 am

putangina ambagal ng tren sa edsa

Vulkata II
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Vulkata II » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:59 am

Victoriala II wrote:putangina ambagal ng tren sa edsa

Ayun lang? Paano ang traffic, na palagi nasisira ang LRT at MRT at ang progresso ng Pilipinas gawa sa politiko?

_[' ]_

Free Tristania
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 17, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Free Tristania » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:02 am

My poor fiancee everyday.... Normally she'd be just as stuck as you are now.
Pro: True Liberty, Voluntary association, Free Trade, Family and Tradition as the Bedrock of Society
Anti: Centralisation (of any sort), Feminism, Internationalism, Multiculturalism, Collectivism of any sort (be it Left-wing or Right-wing)

Victoriala II
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Victoriala II » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:19 am

Vulkata II wrote:

Ayun lang? Paano ang traffic, na palagi nasisira ang LRT at MRT at ang progresso ng Pilipinas gawa sa politiko?

OK lang LRT mas mabilis pa nga ihh

New Visayan Islands
Game Moderator

Postby New Visayan Islands » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:50 am

What would normally take me an average of 90 minutes would take me around 2 hours to compensate for the frakking trains!

Korhal IVV
Senator

Founded: Aug 29, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Korhal IVV » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:08 am

Ano ang pamilya na mahilig kumain ng beans?

The Bean-ays (Binays)
ABTH Music Education ~ AB Journalism ~ RPer ~ Keyboard Warrior ~ Futurist ~ INTJ

Economic Left/Right: -0.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.21
Supports: Christianity, economic development, democracy, common sense, vaccines, space colonization, and health programs
Against: Adding 100 genders, Gay marriage in a church, heresy, Nazism, abortion for no good reason, anti-vaxxers, SJW liberals, and indecency
This nation does reflect my real-life beliefs.
My vocabulary is stranger than a Tzeentchian sorceror. Bare with me.

"Whatever a person may be like, we must still love them because we love God." ~ John Calvin

New Visayan Islands
Game Moderator

Postby New Visayan Islands » Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:39 pm

Korhal IVV wrote:Ano ang pamilya na mahilig kumain ng beans?

The Bean-ays (Binays)

Keep them away from my son, then; he has G6PD deficiency.

Petrasylvania
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 20, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Petrasylvania » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:59 pm

Imelda Marcos convicted of graft, sentenced to prison

But will she have to forfeit her shoes?
Crimes committed by Muslims will be proof of a pan-Islamic plot and Islam's inherent evil. On the other hand, crimes committed by non-Muslims will merely be the acts of mentally ill lone wolves who do not represent their professed belief system at all.
The probability of someone secretly participating in homosexual acts is directly proportional to the frequency and loudness of their publicly professed disapproval and/or disgust for homosexuality.
If Donald Trump accuses an individual of malfeasance without evidence, it is almost a certainty either he or someone associated with him has in fact committed that very same malfeasance to a greater degree.

New Flag Courtesy of The Realist Polities

Victoriala II
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Victoriala II » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:24 am

Petrasylvania wrote:Imelda Marcos convicted of graft, sentenced to prison

But will she have to forfeit her shoes?

Pag hindi nakawin nyo

Neo-Routhengard
Bureaucrat

Founded: Mar 28, 2018
Democratic Socialists

Postby Neo-Routhengard » Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:49 am

My take is, as a Miriam Defensor-Santiago vote in the last 2016 elections and formerly ideologically in support of Duterte especially in regards to tough discipline and war on drugs, I can say that for better or for worse, Duterte's presidency suddenly increased the cynicism of the common Filipino voter. Hopefully with the next elections in 2019 and 2022 that cynicism would be practically maintained, and a better leader elected in 2022. As much as I liked some of Duterte's policies, I would not rather see a person like him take the reins again, inconsistent as he is right now.
Michel Nicole Demetrius, 40 (but looks like 15 due to Edel Raid genes), also known as King Michel II Nicole of Neo-Routhengard (regnant for 29 years), also the Neo-Routhengardian delegate to the World Assembly. The only known offspring of an Edel Raid and a human.

Neo-Routhengard is a Class 0.78 civilization, according to this index.

Economic Left/Right: -4.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.05

Stormwrath
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Stormwrath » Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:46 am

Lol, forgot this thread existed.

Anyway, cynicism has always existed since the Marcos Era. But I doubt that being so negative about everything will eventually get us a good leader. Otherwise there will never be a good leader in our eyes.

Korhal IVV
Senator

Founded: Aug 29, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Korhal IVV » Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:53 am

Stormwrath wrote:Lol, forgot this thread existed.

Anyway, cynicism has always existed since the Marcos Era. But I doubt that being so negative about everything will eventually get us a good leader. Otherwise there will never be a good leader in our eyes.

Yeah. Constantly whining about how crap the government is won’t change it; Filipinos keep failing to vote for the right people anway just because they were given 500 pesos and a fish. Change begins from within.

In another note, I am quite triggered at Twitter right due to smart shamers. Lel.
ABTH Music Education ~ AB Journalism ~ RPer ~ Keyboard Warrior ~ Futurist ~ INTJ

Economic Left/Right: -0.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.21
Supports: Christianity, economic development, democracy, common sense, vaccines, space colonization, and health programs
Against: Adding 100 genders, Gay marriage in a church, heresy, Nazism, abortion for no good reason, anti-vaxxers, SJW liberals, and indecency
This nation does reflect my real-life beliefs.
My vocabulary is stranger than a Tzeentchian sorceror. Bare with me.

"Whatever a person may be like, we must still love them because we love God." ~ John Calvin

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General