NATION

PASSWORD

Drexel professor "ironically" promotes 'white genocide'

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

What are your thoughts on this?

George Ciccariello should be charged with hate speech.
23%
While the professor has a right to free speech, Drexel university can and should drop its association with Ciccariello.
54%
I am unsure/neutral on how Drexel university responds.
9%
There is nothing wrong with Ciccariello's tweets, and I support him fully.
6%
As an advocate of white genocide myself, I am angered that Ciccariello only supports abolishing the white race ironically.
8%

Total votes : 395

MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Dec 05, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:13 pm

Hydesland wrote:
MERIZoC wrote:Why is trolling grounds for anyone's outrage? It's quite clearly a joke so why get all fussed up.

It being a joke doesn't excuse being a shitty person. This sort of toxic rhetoric is enormously unhelpful, and gives the alt right ammunition, as well as genuinely being, yes, mildly offensive.

Would there be mass moral outrage if someone said that Genghis Khan's conquests were good?

If someone said specifically that when specifically a specific ethnic group was massacred, that that was a "good thing" - yes there would be outrage.

Who gives a shit if the alt right gets offended? I certainly don't. Being mildly offensive isn't an excuse to fire someone in academia. If that was the case we'd have a million Mr. Rogers as our teachers.

It being a specific ethnic group is a bit unavoidable in this situation given the circumstances of the Haitian Revolution. Nonetheless, I still disagree with your point. Even if someone had said "Genghis Khan conquering the Chinese...", there still wouldn't be outrage.

e:
The only reason there is outrage is because racist rags like Breitbart have manufactured some great moral objection to this because they like making shit up.
Last edited by MERIZoC on Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Balkenreich
Senator

Founded: Sep 04, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Balkenreich » Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:13 pm

MERIZoC wrote:
Dooom35796821595 wrote:
Genocide is genocide, there is no justification.

Always nice to see where people stand on slavery.

"If you dont support Genocide, you support slavery."

Merizoc, 2016.
Mattis/Puller 2020
I don't gotta prove shit
American, full of vinegar and out of fucks to give.

Proctopeo
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 26, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Proctopeo » Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:14 pm

Just because you say that you were trying to troll the "alt-right" doesn't excuse saying such on, once again, a public twitter account linked to your real-life identity. Especially if you're Verified to be the real deal.
Arachno-anarchism || NO GODS NO MASTERS || Free NSG Odreria

MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet

Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:14 pm

Ethel mermania wrote:
MERIZoC wrote:Poor kiddies cant handle different opinions.

Poor kiddies have a right to be taught history by someone who is competent. Presenting rhe Haitian massacre as a good thing is incompentent. Explaining why it happened would be professional.

Oh you're one of those people who thinks that historians shouldn't have opinions on good or bad. Dear me....

Tsaraine
Retired Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Tsaraine » Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:15 pm

This man is an idiot. Why are you listening to idiots? That's like getting your information on feminism from Lena Dunham, or your information on Christianity from Fred Phelps, or your information on Communism from a stoned white college dropout with dreadlocks. I get that this is 2016 and people are "tired of experts", but if you go to idiots for your information, the idiocy rubs off on you. Soon, you will be the idiot.

Geilinor
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:15 pm

MERIZoC wrote:
Internationalist Bastard wrote:Read the orginal tweet. He said it was good they massacred people. That's literally as close you can get to saying genocide is good without the word genocide

I fail to see how "this particular massacre was good" is the same as "genocide was a good thing"

Genocide is only bad on a case-by-case basis now?
Member of the Free Democratic Party. Not left. Not right. Forward.
Economic Left/Right: -1.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.41

MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet

Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:16 pm

Tsaraine wrote:This man is an idiot. Why are you listening to idiots? That's like getting your information on feminism from Lena Dunham, or your information on Christianity from Fred Phelps, or your information on Communism from a stoned white college dropout with dreadlocks. I get that this is 2016 and people are "tired of experts", but if you go to idiots for your information, the idiocy rubs off on you. Soon, you will be the idiot.

This man is literally an expert.

Brachauland
Bureaucrat

Founded: Dec 19, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Brachauland » Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:16 pm

MERIZoC wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:Poor kiddies have a right to be taught history by someone who is competent. Presenting rhe Haitian massacre as a good thing is incompentent. Explaining why it happened would be professional.

Oh you're one of those people who thinks that historians shouldn't have opinions on good or bad. Dear me....

I'm a history teacher and I think the extermination of the Jews was a good thing.

How would you react to that?

Balkenreich
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Balkenreich » Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:16 pm

MERIZoC wrote:
Tsaraine wrote:This man is an idiot. Why are you listening to idiots? That's like getting your information on feminism from Lena Dunham, or your information on Christianity from Fred Phelps, or your information on Communism from a stoned white college dropout with dreadlocks. I get that this is 2016 and people are "tired of experts", but if you go to idiots for your information, the idiocy rubs off on you. Soon, you will be the idiot.

This professor is retarded.
Mattis/Puller 2020
I don't gotta prove shit

Proctopeo
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Proctopeo » Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:17 pm

Geilinor wrote:
MERIZoC wrote:I fail to see how "this particular massacre was good" is the same as "genocide was a good thing"

Genocide is only bad on a case-by-case basis now?

Remember, a genocide is good if you rationalize it to yourself hard enough.

MERIZoC wrote:

Experts can be idiots, you know. We've had a very public example earlier this election cycle, even.

MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet

Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:17 pm

Brachauland wrote:
MERIZoC wrote:Oh you're one of those people who thinks that historians shouldn't have opinions on good or bad. Dear me....

I'm a history teacher and I think the extermination of the Jews was a good thing.

I'd say you're a nazi.

Diopolis
Post Marshal

Founded: May 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Diopolis » Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:17 pm

Considering this guy is white, I'm pretty sure he's joking based on him not having committed suicide.
Or he's just a hypocrite.
Should he lose his job? Yeah, private organizations have the right to fire people for saying stupid shit in public, and what he said was pretty reprehensible.
Texas nationalist, right-wing technocrat, radical social conservative, post-liberal.

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ethel mermania » Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:18 pm

MERIZoC wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:Poor kiddies have a right to be taught history by someone who is competent. Presenting rhe Haitian massacre as a good thing is incompentent. Explaining why it happened would be professional.

If the guy had said massacring niggers was ok, he would be fired, and I suspect you would support that.

I think historians have an obligation to know their business, and I think it's drexel's history dept. To make sure history gets taught with some thought to historical process.
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Brachauland
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Brachauland » Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:19 pm

When we are talking about "experts", we generally mean fools like this person. Actual feminists, actual christians and actual communists aren't listened to anymore, but instead the new university elite of ideologically insecure men and women who believe their opinion is superior is listened to by the majority of the media. This is probably the biggest reason why this one professor recieved so much backlash from the community.

Hydesland
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 28, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Hydesland » Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:19 pm

MERIZoC wrote:Who gives a shit if the alt right gets offended?

I don't give a shit if they get offended, I give a shit when you give their conspiracy theories enormous amounts of ammunition, this increases their scope, power and influence.

It being a specific ethnic group is a bit unavoidable in this situation given the circumstances of the Haitian Revolution.

Well, no, that was an entirely avoidable statement. He could have said it was good when Haitian slaves rebelled in general - even if some of the subsequent atrocities were unnecessary and unjustifiable, instead of specifically saying it was good when white people (which includes women & children) were fucking massacred.

Nonetheless, I still disagree with your point. Even if someone had said "Genghis Khan conquering the Chinese...", there still wouldn't be outrage.

If a professor said that it was a good thing when Ghenghis Khan massacred Chinese people - there would absolutely be outrage.

Diopolis
Post Marshal

Founded: May 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Diopolis » Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:20 pm

MERIZoC wrote:

So I assume you'd be fine with a history professor claiming the expulsion of Jews from England was a good and necessary thing? Cause that's about on par with what he said.
Texas nationalist, right-wing technocrat, radical social conservative, post-liberal.

Brachauland
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Brachauland » Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:20 pm

MERIZoC wrote:
Brachauland wrote:I'm a history teacher and I think the extermination of the Jews was a good thing.

I'd say you're a nazi.

But I should still be allowed to teach history to these kids, who often are under the influence of teachers like me? Soon I might even have some of 'em remilitarising the Rhineland, demanding the Sudetenland and goose-stepping into Poland.

MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet

Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:21 pm

Proctopeo wrote:
MERIZoC wrote:This man is literally an expert.

Experts can be idiots, you know. We've had a very public example earlier this election cycle, even.

I get that this is 2016 and people are "tired of experts"

Tsar seems to be implying that we should be listening to experts.

Balkenreich
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Balkenreich » Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:21 pm

Hydesland wrote:

I don't give a shit if they get offended, I give a shit when you give their conspiracy theories enormous amounts of ammunition, this increases their scope, power and influence.

It being a specific ethnic group is a bit unavoidable in this situation given the circumstances of the Haitian Revolution.

Well, no, that was an entirely avoidable statement. He could have said it was good when Haitian slaves rebelled in general - even if some of the subsequent atrocities were unnecessary and unjustifiable, instead of specifically saying it was good when white people (which includes women & children) were fucking massacred.

Nonetheless, I still disagree with your point. Even if someone had said "Genghis Khan conquering the Chinese...", there still wouldn't be outrage.

If a professor said that it was a good thing when Ghenghis Khan massacred Chinese people - there would absolutely be outrage.

Well the university is standing behind him.

i guess they must agree with him, somehow.

Milo got banned off twitter for lesser shit then this crap.
Mattis/Puller 2020
I don't gotta prove shit

Hydesland
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 28, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Hydesland » Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:23 pm

This is how the left wing dies - they are self cannibalizing themselves. Pro tip: the enemy of your enemy is not necessarily your friend - just because a lunatic is getting called out by the alt right for being a lunatic, does not then make it okay to justify lunacy.

Proctopeo
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Proctopeo » Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:23 pm

MERIZoC wrote:
Proctopeo wrote:

I get that this is 2016 and people are "tired of experts"

Tsar seems to be implying that we should be listening to experts.

I'm very aware. I do suspect that the plural nature of "experts" means we should listen to multiple experts on the same topic, not just one.

Balkenreich
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Balkenreich » Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:24 pm

Hydesland wrote:This is how the left wing dies - they are self cannibalizing themselves. Pro tip: the enemy of your enemy is not necessarily your friend - just because a lunatic is getting called out by the alt right for being a lunatic, does not then make it okay to justify lunacy.

Youre surprised of this?

after the rise of the socjus left?
Mattis/Puller 2020
I don't gotta prove shit

MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet

Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:24 pm

Hydesland wrote:

This is mocking alt right conspiracy theories. If that "gives them ammunition" then so be it.

Sure, the statement was unavoidable. I don't think anyone disputes that this was an unfortunate move by him. But that's beside the point.

Again, I very much doubt that, if it was spun the right way.

MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet

Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:25 pm

Hydesland wrote:This is how the left wing dies - they are self cannibalizing themselves. Pro tip: the enemy of your enemy is not necessarily your friend - just because a lunatic is getting called out by the alt right for being a lunatic, does not then make it okay to justify lunacy.

mfw liberals are also my enemy

Brachauland
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Brachauland » Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:26 pm

Took you a while to realise. I jumped off this sinking ship when we still had boats that could reach safe lands. Good luck getting yourself out :P

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General