NATION

PASSWORD

The downside of living where you live

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Bottle
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Bottle » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:00 am

Washington, DC, is a very cool city. The Metro is fantastic. There's tons of free stuff to do (thank you, museums!), tons of awesome places to eat, and a very international feel to the city.

But holy christ, everything is expensive.

This city seems entirely aimed at middle-aged professionals who can afford to spend $10 for a rum and coke. Bands never come through DC, you always have to go to Baltimore for them, and it's always excruciatingly expensive to see a show. The weather SUCKS...I mean seriously, it's built on a swamp, and it shows. And the customer service in DC is the worst I've ever encountered.
"Until evolution happens like in pokemon I'll never accept your 'evidence'!" -Ifreann
"Well, excuuuuuuse me, feminist." -Ende

Tsrill
Bureaucrat

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Tsrill » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:02 am

The tap water tastes a little funny, other than that, life's pretty good here in central Germany. Oh and since I live in the heart of Catholistan, absolutely everything is closed on sundays, but one gets used to that.

Grandais
Minister

Founded: Jan 06, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Grandais » Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:21 am

Tsrill wrote:The tap water tastes a little funny, other than that, life's pretty good here in central Germany. Oh and since I live in the heart of Catholistan, absolutely everything is closed on sundays, but one gets used to that.

enjoy your censorship
DEFCON 5 [4] 3 2 1
Grandais News|Factbook|Embassies

Natapoc
Post Marshal

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Natapoc » Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:25 am

Grandais wrote:
Tsrill wrote:The tap water tastes a little funny, other than that, life's pretty good here in central Germany. Oh and since I live in the heart of Catholistan, absolutely everything is closed on sundays, but one gets used to that.

enjoy your censorship

Why do so many people get so upset about the little bit of "censorship" that is in Germany? I'm all for free speech but some people on this forum sure get upset about not being able to advocate a nazi government openly in germany.
Last edited by Natapoc on Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Did you see a ghost?

Peterbolton
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 10, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Peterbolton » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:33 am

Boring, suburban wasteland with nothing to do really, and near one of the most polluted cities in the US
Economic Left/Right: -6.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.05

I'm a music warrior, defending sound in the fight against silence.-Skye Sweetnam, Our Majesty

Blitzkrenia
Minister

Founded: Sep 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Blitzkrenia » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:34 am

Arumdaum wrote:Too many Fundamental-Christians and conservatives. I'm moving, but I don't want to... :(

Arumdaum! thou hast come back! :hug:

I'm currently stuck in a dormitory - the bathroom and the shower booth is separate, which can be bad when one wishes to wash the toilet. Other than that, it pretty nice for a high school dorm.
Last edited by Blitzkrenia on Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Seriousness is the only refuge of the shallow." -Oscar Wilde

Cabra West
Senator

Founded: Jan 15, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Cabra West » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:38 am

Natapoc wrote:
Grandais wrote:

enjoy your censorship

Why do so many people get so upset about the little bit of "censorship" that is in Germany? I'm all for free speech but some people on this forum sure get upset about not being able to advocate a nazi government openly in germany.

Well, if I was nasty, I would speculate that some US Americans secretly wish for a Nazi resurgence in Germany, so they could go and invade again. That was the last war they won, and they might want to sort of re-enact the feeling of superiority.

But since I'm a nice person I would never assume anything like that, of course.
"I was walking along the bank of a stream when I saw a mother otter with her cubs. A very endearing sight, and as I watched, the mother otter dived into the water and came up with a plump salmon, which she subdued and dragged on to a half-submerged log. As she ate it, while of course it was still alive, the body split and I remember to this day the sweet pinkness of its roes as they spilled out, much to the delight of the baby otters who scrambled over themselves to feed on the delicacy. One of nature’s wonders: mother and children dining upon mother and children. And that’s when I first learned about evil. It is built in to the very nature of the universe. If there is any kind of supreme being, I told myself, it is up to all of us to become his moral superior."

Lord Vetinari

Grandais
Minister

Founded: Jan 06, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Grandais » Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:49 pm

There is not a 'little' bit of censorship in Germany. Tonnes of stuff gets banned or censored for arbitrary reasons (mostly video games, which is fun). This occasionally carries over to the rest of PAL regions meaning that sometimes we in Australia get hit with the censored versions too.

I wrote a blog post on it way back, I'll see if I can quote it.

EDIT: I think the reasoning behind this one is that videogames are classed as 'children's toys' or something similar and forbid 'glorification of violence' which for some reason has been defined as 'no blood or killing humans'. Which means that most characters are turned into robots for no explained reason.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRMqonct ... r_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=710Xi4Jk ... r_embedded

I could go on about other stuff but this is one of the main nitpicks I can pull off the top of my head, apart from the banning of public display of nazi symbols which pretty much everyone knows about.
Last edited by Grandais on Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DEFCON 5 [4] 3 2 1
Grandais News|Factbook|Embassies

Hungramy
Minister

Founded: May 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Hungramy » Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:56 pm

where i live we have gangs(bloods) and ALOT of bars and i mean ALOT

Eirros
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 29, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Eirros » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:45 pm

Hungramy wrote:where i live we have gangs(bloods) and ALOT of bars and i mean ALOT

The closest thing we have to actual gang related crime is 80 miles from my home. Milwaukee is a shithole. And every town in WI follows the Bar, Bar, House, Church, House, Church, Bar, Church, House, Bar format.
"Eirros is not a land of opportunity or freedom. It is a nation that proudly stands upon the fact that its citizens live life to the fullest."

~~J.S. Jahnz, ruler and founder of Eirros

"You are now breathing manually and are aware of your tongue."

~~Mark Bartel, chief psychologist of the University of Caltica

Have you ever woken up in the morning and realized that your day is gonna suck on a scale not previously known to man? I do that every day. And then I realize that mercenaries AREN'T burning my village down and raping my mother and I go back to bed.

And all that is now and all that is gone
And all that's to come and everything under the sun is in tune
But the sun is eclipsed by the moon

Maurepas
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:50 pm

Eirros wrote:
Hungramy wrote:where i live we have gangs(bloods) and ALOT of bars and i mean ALOT

The closest thing we have to actual gang related crime is 80 miles from my home. Milwaukee is a shithole. And every town in WI follows the Bar, Bar, House, Church, House, Church, Bar, Church, House, Bar format.

There are gangs in New Orleans, but, where I live there are only a few "wannabe" gang impostors, who do little more than act out trends...

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:52 pm

The people in Texas are fucking idiots, is it too much to ask for a girl friend that doesn't want to parrot to me about why Evolution is a lie ?
Last edited by Greed and Death on Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General