NATION

PASSWORD

Right Wing Discussion Thread VII: As Easy As Reich Two Three

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

If you could ensure the survival of one empire at their height, which would it be?

1 - The German Empire
19%
2 - The French Empire
6%
3 - The Spanish Empire
5%
4 - The British Empire
24%
5 - The Mongol Empire
3%
6 - The Abbasid Caliphate
4%
7 - The Roman Empire
24%
8 - The Qing Dynasty
2%
9 - Imperial Japan
3%
10 - The Russian Empire
10%

Total votes : 497

Benuty
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 21, 2013
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:55 am

Both sides of the Spanish Civil War deserved to have been exterminated for the shit they pulled.

Maybe Spain could have started from scrap, but oh well.
Last edited by Hashem 13.8 billion years ago
King of Madness in the Right Wing Discussion Thread. Winner of 2016 Posters Award for Insanity. Please be aware my posts in NSG, and P2TM are separate.

Kravanica
Senator

Founded: Aug 07, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Kravanica » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:00 am

The Princes of the Universe wrote:
Kravanica wrote:

I take this response about as seriously as I would take REEEEEEEEEEEEE. That is, not in the slightest. 0/10 don't bother trying again.

It was a joke. It was not, in any way, meant to be taken seriously. The fact that such obvious shitposting is lost on you only serves to make you look bad. But if you want me to get serious then I would be more than happy to.
The Kravanican Realm (PMT)
I support Thermonuclear Warfare. Do you?
My nation does not represent my RL views

American and Jewish
Conservatarian with various "right-wing" leanings

Kravanica
Senator

Founded: Aug 07, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Kravanica » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:00 am

Benuty wrote:Both sides of the Spanish Civil War deserved to have been exterminated for the shit they pulled.

Maybe Spain could have started from scrap, but oh well.

Franco wasn't completely terrible.
The Kravanican Realm (PMT)
I support Thermonuclear Warfare. Do you?
My nation does not represent my RL views

American and Jewish
Conservatarian with various "right-wing" leanings

Yoshida (Ancient)
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 24, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Yoshida (Ancient) » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:07 am

The Blaatschapen wrote:
Yoshida wrote:
It would be fascinating to see how Catalonia would have turned out.

Indeed. The suppression of local identity by Franco is one of the main things I have against him.

Catalonia and the republicans were far from perfect, and I don't think they have much right to complain about the human right abuses they suffered under Franco considering what they did to clergy and people who didn't want to join the collectives. But I'd have preferred to see Spain become a federation of communes rather than a totalitarian state ruled by Franco. Ironically, Hitler of all people agreed:

You know my opinion of Franco... We ought to keep these Red Spaniards on the back burner... They're lost to democracy, and to that reactionary crew round Franco too... I believe you to the letter, Speer, that they were impressive people. I must say, in general, that during thethe idealism was not on Franco's side; it was to be found among the Reds ... one of these days we'll be able to make use of them... The whole thing will start all over again. But with us on the opposite side.
Federalist, Pure Land Buddhist, Corporatist
He never fails
To reach the Lotus Land of Bliss Who calls,
If only once,
The name of Amida.
My nation (partially) represents my ideal society. Feel free to telegram me about it if you have any thoughts.

Old Tyrannia
Game Moderator

Founded: Aug 11, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby Old Tyrannia » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:19 am

The East Marches wrote:
The Princes of the Universe wrote:I take this response about as seriously as I would take REEEEEEEEEEEEE. That is, not in the slightest. 0/10 don't bother trying again.

The main producer of blanket statements and the person who refuses to defend them is critiquing somebody else for lack of substance? The irony I hope is not lost on you. Please tell us more on how all politicians are evil and we're all doomed.

I thought "all politicians are evil and we're all doomed" was the general consensus of the human species at this point?
Last edited by Old Tyrannia on Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Classicist in literature, royalist in politics, and Anglo-Catholic in religion" (T.S. Eliot). Still, unaccountably, a NationStates Moderator.
"Have I done something for the general interest? Well then, I have had my reward. Let this always be present to thy mind, and never stop doing such good." - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations (Book XI, IV)
⚜ GOD SAVE THE KING

Ban Pho
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 20, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Ban Pho » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:24 am

New thread, huh? Kinda smells napalm, doesn't it, have you been bombing 'Nam recently have you. It's ok we all have our flaws.

Ban Pho
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Ban Pho » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:32 am

Also, why isn't The Great Nordic War included in the poll?

The Greater Aryan Race
Senator

Founded: Mar 21, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Greater Aryan Race » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:39 am

Herskerstad wrote:I did pick Taiping largely because it would have really set Sino history upside down had it had any degree of success, and would have incorporated some extremely egalitarian elements while also some which we would today consider reactionary aspects.

The boxer because it would be the last real attempt at a old, traditional sinosentric engagement with the world. While Cixi would probably have initiated some army and economy reforms there is great reason to doubt it would have been anything like that of the three peoples principles that followed shortly after the Qing.

Something about heavily-militarised, authoritarian theocracies makes me apprehensive about supporting them. The Taiping to their credit instituted some egalitarian policies, but they were also incredibly violent and destructive.

The Boxer Rebellion was a disaster. It would have done nothing except invite further ruin onto China, which was exactly what happened when Cixi decided to lend her support to them. The far better course of action would've been to nip the Boxer issue in the bud as quickly as possible and press on with the Self-Strengthening reforms.
Imperium Sidhicum wrote:So, uh... Is this another one of those threads where everyone is supposed to feel outraged and circle-jerk in agreement of how injust and terrible the described incident is?

Because if it is, I'm probably going to say something mean and contrary just to contradict the majority.

This nation is now IC-ly known as the Teutonic Reich.

Camaalbakrius
Minister

Founded: Sep 09, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Camaalbakrius » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:41 am

Another wonderful day in Donald Trump's America. :)

I hope y'all are doing well
Catholic Mentlegen

DEUS VULT INFIDELS
Favorite bands: Bon Jovi, Guns 'N Roses, basically anything by Eric Clapton, Queen, AC/DC, a few songs by KISS, but I don't care much for the face paint.

Not really a politics person, I don't care much about it.

The East Marches
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 14, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby The East Marches » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:42 am

Old Tyrannia wrote:
The East Marches wrote:
The main producer of blanket statements and the person who refuses to defend them is critiquing somebody else for lack of substance? The irony I hope is not lost on you. Please tell us more on how all politicians are evil and we're all doomed.

I thought "all politicians are evil and we're all doomed" was the general consensus of the human species at this point?

I am a fan of Ron Paul, at the least I can't subscribe the the former statement.
Conserative Morality wrote:Move to a real state bud instead of a third-world country that inexplicably votes in American elections.

Novus America wrote:But yes, I would say the mere existence of Illinois proves this is hell. Chicago the 9th circle.

Camaalbakrius
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Camaalbakrius » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:44 am

Why aren't the Crusades an option in the poll? That outcome should have been changed. Well, I mean, the Kingdom of Jerusalem has been reinstated, hasn't it? The Saracens have been driven from the Holy Land and Israel is now an independent nation. The Crusaders can rest in peace.
Catholic Mentlegen

DEUS VULT INFIDELS
Favorite bands: Bon Jovi, Guns 'N Roses, basically anything by Eric Clapton, Queen, AC/DC, a few songs by KISS, but I don't care much for the face paint.

Camaalbakrius
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Camaalbakrius » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:45 am

The Greater Aryan Race wrote:
Herskerstad wrote:I did pick Taiping largely because it would have really set Sino history upside down had it had any degree of success, and would have incorporated some extremely egalitarian elements while also some which we would today consider reactionary aspects.

The boxer because it would be the last real attempt at a old, traditional sinosentric engagement with the world. While Cixi would probably have initiated some army and economy reforms there is great reason to doubt it would have been anything like that of the three peoples principles that followed shortly after the Qing.

Something about heavily-militarised, authoritarian theocracies makes me apprehensive about supporting them. The Taiping to their credit instituted some egalitarian policies, but they were also incredibly violent and destructive.

The Boxer Rebellion was a disaster. It would have done nothing except invite further ruin onto China, which was exactly what happened when Cixi decided to lend her support to them. The far better course of action would've been to nip the Boxer issue in the bud as quickly as possible and press on with the Self-Strengthening reforms.

When you said "The Boxer Rebellion was a disaster" I read it in Donald Trump's voice. It's one of the most common things he says. Disaster, wall, drain, swamp, and wrong
Catholic Mentlegen

DEUS VULT INFIDELS

Herskerstad
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Herskerstad » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:48 am

The Greater Aryan Race wrote:

Oh don't get me wrong, I have no expectation of Taiping as doing any level of smooth sailing. There would be internal divisions from the iconoclasm, external divisions from Xiuquan's claims compared to European and American expectations of Christianity, Xiuquan was an expert at alienating less than puritan elements of society, and the Qing was not short on those, but had Rengan managed to implement his reforms then the likes of Meiji would have been seen as a natural after effect. China would have been extraordinarily more powerful even though, like all nations before it, the cost of industrialisation would have been immense.
Although the stars do not speak, even in being silent they cry out. - John Calvin

Herskerstad
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Herskerstad » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:49 am

Camaalbakrius wrote:
The Greater Aryan Race wrote:Something about heavily-militarised, authoritarian theocracies makes me apprehensive about supporting them. The Taiping to their credit instituted some egalitarian policies, but they were also incredibly violent and destructive.

When you said "The Boxer Rebellion was a disaster" I read it in Donald Trump's voice. It's one of the most common things he says. Disaster, wall, drain, swamp, and wrong

Also

Don't even have to give the text now do I?
Although the stars do not speak, even in being silent they cry out. - John Calvin

Victoriala II
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 30, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Victoriala II » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:53 am

Roooooo

Camaalbakrius
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Camaalbakrius » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:54 am

Herskerstad wrote:
Camaalbakrius wrote:When you said "The Boxer Rebellion was a disaster" I read it in Donald Trump's voice. It's one of the most common things he says. Disaster, wall, drain, swamp, and wrong

Also

My computer didn't load the Image. I don't know what it says.
Catholic Mentlegen

DEUS VULT INFIDELS

Herskerstad
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Herskerstad » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:54 am

Camaalbakrius wrote:Why aren't the Crusades an option in the poll? That outcome should have been changed. Well, I mean, the Kingdom of Jerusalem has been reinstated, hasn't it? The Saracens have been driven from the Holy Land and Israel is now an independent nation. The Crusaders can rest in peace.

I did think about adding events like the civil wars of the Tetrarchy, the conquest of Mecca ect, but they would not always have as much to do with right wing, left wing, revolutionary, traditionalist aspects as some of the latter conflicts that can more easily be viewed through the modern political lens. The idea was to get conflicts that would shift things decidedly to some of these aspects and appeal globally as well as historically, and needless to say some options were excluded because there is only 10 options per poll.

Herskerstad
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Herskerstad » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:55 am

Camaalbakrius wrote:
Herskerstad wrote:
Also

My computer didn't load the Image. I don't know what it says.

Trump saying China multiple times.

Camaalbakrius
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Camaalbakrius » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:55 am

Herskerstad wrote:
Camaalbakrius wrote:Why aren't the Crusades an option in the poll? That outcome should have been changed. Well, I mean, the Kingdom of Jerusalem has been reinstated, hasn't it? The Saracens have been driven from the Holy Land and Israel is now an independent nation. The Crusaders can rest in peace.

I did think about adding events like the civil wars of the Tetrarchy, the conquest of Mecca ect, but they would not always have as much to do with right wing, left wing, revolutionary, traditionalist aspects as some of the latter conflicts that can more easily be viewed through the modern political lens. The idea was to get conflicts that would shift things decidedly to some of these aspects and appeal globally as well as historically, and needless to say some options were excluded because there is only 10 options per poll.

DEUS VULT HERETIC

I'm kidding, I understand. That makes sense :p
Catholic Mentlegen

DEUS VULT INFIDELS

Camaalbakrius
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Camaalbakrius » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:56 am

Herskerstad wrote:
Camaalbakrius wrote:My computer didn't load the Image. I don't know what it says.

Oh. Ha, that works too :lol:
Catholic Mentlegen

DEUS VULT INFIDELS

Herskerstad
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Herskerstad » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:58 am

Camaalbakrius wrote:
Herskerstad wrote:

Oh. Ha, that works too :lol:

Should make that a challenge, read all Chinese history books in Trump's voice.

Herskerstad
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Herskerstad » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:00 am

Camaalbakrius wrote:
Herskerstad wrote:

DEUS VULT HERETIC

I'm kidding, I understand. That makes sense :p

Heh :p

Camaalbakrius
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Camaalbakrius » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:02 am

Herskerstad wrote:
Camaalbakrius wrote:Oh. Ha, that works too :lol:

Should make that a challenge, read all Chinese history books in Trump's voice.

And when the Mongols attacked, China built a wall to keep the Mongols out. It was a huge wall. When the mongols attacked and got past it, they made the wall ten feet taller
Catholic Mentlegen

DEUS VULT INFIDELS

The Serbian Empire
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Serbian Empire » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:06 am

Washington Resistance Army wrote:For the poll, obviously the Russian Revolution.

Same, just imagine Russia not being communist.
LOVEWHOYOUARE~ WOMAN
Level 12 Myrmidon, Level ⑨ Tsundere, Level ✿ Hold My Flower
Bad Idea Purveyor
8 Values: https://8values.github.io/results.html?e=56.1&d=70.2&g=86.5&s=91.9
Political Compass: Economic -10.00 Authoritarian: -9.13
TG for Facebook if you want to friend me
Marissa, Goddess of Stratospheric Reach
preferred pronouns: Female ones
Primarily lesbian, but pansexual in nature

Ban Pho
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Ban Pho » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:08 am

The Serbian Empire wrote:
Washington Resistance Army wrote:For the poll, obviously the Russian Revolution.

Same, just imagine Russia not being communist.

it's unimaginable

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General