NATION

PASSWORD

Transgender Discussion Thread III: Vote in our poll!

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

What should the first subtitle of our next thread be?

Trans Men Are Not Women
24%
Anti-Cistamines
10%
Please Don't Deadnaming Eve
3%
Is This Destroying My Free Speech
8%
We Know More About This Than You
11%
HRT And Crumpets
27%
Pro-Nouns & Anti-Verbs
16%

Total votes : 97

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Founded: Mar 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:44 am

The New California Republic wrote:
Aellex wrote:Crossdressing is condemned. Castration is mocked. Men are told to act like men and women like women.
What more exactly do you need to understand that what you're calling sex-change is considered sinful given that it isn't actually changing the sex of the person and thus doesn't make the three previously mentioned points mutt as the people who undergo this surgery will still be violating them all?

Entirely irrelevant. The point made was that SRS itself is sinful. I am asking how the hell it can be if there are no references to SRS in the Bible. Crossdressing, castrastion, and way of acting are distinct from SRS.

It is the intention of the text, not the letter of the text itself.

Even St. Paul made it clear that men behaving like men and women behaving like women was pleasing to God (even if you don't want to include the verse about homosexuality for whatever reason) so the intent is rather clear, anything that deviates from it is sinful according to Pauline doctrine.

Now, you can reject Paul's commentary, but if you are of the many people around the world who follow tradition and Paul's commentary as doctrine, then it is pretty hard to argue and belabor a point that he clearly makes when talking about gendered relations.
Soldati senza confini: Better than an iPod in shuffle more with 20,000 songs.
Tekania wrote:Welcome to NSG, where informed opinions get to bump-heads with ignorant ideology under the pretense of an equal footing.

"When it’s a choice of putting food on the table, or thinking about your morals, it’s easier to say you’d think about your morals, but only if you’ve never faced that decision." - Anastasia Richardson

Current Goal: Flesh out nation factbook.

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:48 am

FelrikTheDeleted wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:So guesswork is the source, then. Gotcha. That tells me everything I need to know. Thanks guys! :roll:

More like an educated guess based on things that have already been condemned.

That could just as easily be wrong, and likely not worth its salt in terms of making any hardline decisions with, such as whether SRS is a sin or not.

Soldati Senza Confini wrote:Even St. Paul made it clear that men behaving like men and women behaving like women was pleasing to God (even if you don't want to include the verse about homosexuality for whatever reason) so the intent is rather clear, anything that deviates from it is sinful according to Pauline doctrine.

One they have had SRS, they will be a man behaving like a man, or a woman behaving like a woman...?
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Founded: Feb 10, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:48 am

I have to ask for a quick synopsis of the cotton ceiling. If anyone here could be so kind.
Slava Ukraini
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:49 am

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:I have to ask for a quick synopsis of the cotton ceiling. If anyone here could be so kind.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cotton_ceiling
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

Wave on, wave on

Aellex
Senator

Founded: Apr 23, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Aellex » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:51 am

The New California Republic wrote:So guesswork is the source, then. Gotcha. That tells me everything I need to know. Thanks guys! :roll:

"You see, cheating on someone online isn't explicitly condemned by the Bible so it's totally not sinful! I mean, yes, sure, the act of Adultery itself is condemned multiple times and Jesus says that he would rather pierce his own eye than look lustily with it at the wife of someone else with it but, you see, none of these references deal explicitly with the "online" bit because internet didn't exist at the time so, clearly, it must mean that it's absolutely ok!"
Citoyen Français. Disillusioned Gaulliste. Catholique.

Tombé au champ d'honneur, add 11400 posts.

Member of the Committee
for Proletarian Morality

RIP Balk, you were too good a shitposter for this site.

Seangoli
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 24, 2006
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Seangoli » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:51 am

Geneviev wrote:
The South Falls wrote:Who says that our interpretations are right, then?

Because the Bible says that people should act like the gender God gave them. That's how I know.

The bible says a lot of things about a lot of things that adherents to the faith choose to ignore, or loosely interpret for their own purpises. Proselytizing on the street corner and public displays of faith are expressly stated as being not only frowned upon, but possibly sinful in their own right, yet you would find very few Christians who object to it. Matthew 6:1-34 rather explicitely states that calling attention to your faith and acts as a Christian will effectively damn you, yet there is no end to that behavior from Christians, and it is rather conveniently ignored.

Ultimately, the passages you decide to ignore or follow is your choice, but claiming strict adherence is near impossible. I find choosing a looser interpretation of Leviticus or the like no worse than the rather loose adherence to Matthew, Luke, etc. that most Christians follow.
Last edited by Seangoli on Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

FelrikTheDeleted
Powerbroker

Founded: Aug 27, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby FelrikTheDeleted » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:54 am

The New California Republic wrote:That could just as easily be wrong, and likely not worth its salt in terms of making any hardline decisions with, such as whether SRS is a sin or not.

How could it easily be wrong?

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:56 am

Aellex wrote:

"You see, cheating on someone online isn't explicitly condemned by the Bible so it's totally not sinful! I mean, yes, sure, the act of Adultery itself is condemned multiple times and Jesus says that he would rather pierce his own eye than look lustily with it at the wife of someone else with it but, you see, none of these references deal explicitly with the "online" bit because internet didn't exist at the time so, clearly, it must mean that it's absolutely ok!"

Linking adultery to cheating is a bit different from linking castration and crossdressing to SRS. :roll:

FelrikTheDeleted wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:That could just as easily be wrong, and likely not worth its salt in terms of making any hardline decisions with, such as whether SRS is a sin or not.

How could it easily be wrong?

Because when something is based on assumption there is a good chance that it could easily be wrong.

Wave on, wave on

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Founded: Mar 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:57 am

FelrikTheDeleted wrote:
More like an educated guess based on things that have already been condemned.

That could just as easily be wrong, and likely not worth its salt in terms of making any hardline decisions with, such as whether SRS is a sin or not.

Soldati Senza Confini wrote:Even St. Paul made it clear that men behaving like men and women behaving like women was pleasing to God (even if you don't want to include the verse about homosexuality for whatever reason) so the intent is rather clear, anything that deviates from it is sinful according to Pauline doctrine.

One they have had SRS, they will be a man behaving like a man, or a woman behaving like a woman...?

According to Pauline doctrine it'd be a man behaving like a woman, because you are seeking to behave like one and have the body of one.

Now, that doesn't mean you have to accept Pauline doctrine, I'm just saying that since most Christians accept it, it is rather hard to convince a conservative Christian who accepts Paul's premises that something that is clearly a sin is not a sin. Because Paul was very clear on this issue.
Soldati senza confini: Better than an iPod in shuffle more with 20,000 songs.
Tekania wrote:Welcome to NSG, where informed opinions get to bump-heads with ignorant ideology under the pretense of an equal footing.

"When it’s a choice of putting food on the table, or thinking about your morals, it’s easier to say you’d think about your morals, but only if you’ve never faced that decision." - Anastasia Richardson

Current Goal: Flesh out nation factbook.

FelrikTheDeleted
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby FelrikTheDeleted » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:58 am

The New California Republic wrote:Because when something is based on assumption there is a good chance that it could easily be wrong.

The subject doesn’t exactly leave much fucking wriggle room, the margin for error is pretty fucking small in this case.
Last edited by FelrikTheDeleted on Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

FelrikTheDeleted
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby FelrikTheDeleted » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:59 am

It’s too fucking late for this shit, I’m going to bed, I’ll see if I bother replying to anything tomorrow.

Aellex
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Aellex » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:00 am

The New California Republic wrote:Linking adultery to cheating is a bit different from linking castration and crossdressing to SRS. :roll:

How so, tho? It's essentially what you're doing. You're removing your genitals and then acting out the part of the other sex you'd rather be.

Member of the Committee
for Proletarian Morality

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:28 am

FelrikTheDeleted wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:Because when something is based on assumption there is a good chance that it could easily be wrong.

The subject doesn’t exactly leave much fucking wriggle room, the margin for error is pretty fucking small in this case.

I beg to differ. There is a world of difference between condemning the acts of castration and crossdressing referred to in the Bible, and condemning a complex surgical intervention to completely change one's gender. I'd say there was a whole lot of "fucking" wiggle room there...

Aellex wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:Linking adultery to cheating is a bit different from linking castration and crossdressing to SRS. :roll:

How so, tho? It's essentially what you're doing. You're removing your genitals and then acting out the part of the other sex you'd rather be.

Not really. Castration and crossdressing are entirely different to SRS. As I said before, SRS is a complex surgical intervention to change one's gender. Castration is testicle removal to create a eunuch to stop sexual desire, and crossdressing isn't surgery. It is a pretty big fucking leap to go from condemning castration and crossdressing with Bible passages to condemning SRS with nothing but guesswork and assumption.

Soldati Senza Confini wrote:According to Pauline doctrine it'd be a man behaving like a woman, because you are seeking to behave like one and have the body of one.

And that is the crux of the argument, and why we likely will never agree on this one.

Wave on, wave on

Aellex
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Aellex » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:28 am

The New California Republic wrote:One they have had SRS, they will be a man behaving like a man, or a woman behaving like a woman...?

No they won't...?

Member of the Committee
for Proletarian Morality

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:31 am

Aellex wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:One they have had SRS, they will be a man behaving like a man, or a woman behaving like a woman...?

No they won't...?

Oh, right, you are someone that thinks that a man after SRS is still a man, and a woman after SRS is still a woman. OK. Sure.

Wave on, wave on

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:32 am

Aellex wrote:No they won't...?

Oh, right, you are someone that thinks that a man after SRS is still a man, and a woman after SRS is still a woman. OK. Sure.

Biological essentialism makes my head spin just because of the sheer degree of mental gymnastics needed to make it work.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Bienenhalde
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 11, 2017
Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Bienenhalde » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:32 am

Aellex wrote:Galatians has Paul mocking castration, cross-dressing is forbidden expressively both morally and judicially in the bit of my original quote you cut and the Bible repeatedly condemn "men acting like women and women acting like men".

[citation needed]

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:33 am

Logically, isn't dressing as the gender you identify as not actually crossdressing though?
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:35 am

Vassenor wrote:Logically, isn't dressing as the gender you identify as not actually crossdressing though?

Exactly. But I'm sure that wouldn't matter one bit if the Bible is being used to judge that. :roll:

Wave on, wave on

Aellex
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Aellex » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:35 am

The New California Republic wrote:Not really. Castration and crossdressing are entirely different to SRS. As I said before, SRS is a complex surgical intervention to change one's gender. Castration is testicle removal to create a eunuch to stop sexual desire, and crossdressing isn't surgery. It is a pretty big fucking leap to go from condemning castration and crossdressing with Bible passages to condemning SRS with nothing but guesswork and assumption.

SRS is a complex surgical intervention that consist in removing one's genital and then twisting the flesh to look cosmetically to some extent like the opposite sex's one.
It is an elaborate form of castration but castration nonetheless. And given one can't actually change their sex, the person who proceeded with this surgery will then go on and cross dress when wearing attire from the sex he had a surgery to look more like.

So, no; it's actually taking no leap at all; just looking honestly at what you're talking about rather than being mindlessly literal and restrictive just because you don't like the answer you're getting.

Member of the Committee
for Proletarian Morality

Aellex
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Aellex » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:47 am

The New California Republic wrote:Oh, right, you are someone that thinks that a man after SRS is still a man, and a woman after SRS is still a woman. OK. Sure.

Well yeah. I'm someone who doesn't believe that losing one's genital change your sex. It's quite the barbarous and retrograde view to hold, tbh.

Member of the Committee
for Proletarian Morality

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:48 am

Aellex wrote:SRS is a complex surgical intervention that consist in removing one's genital and then twisting the flesh to look cosmetically to some extent like the opposite sex's one.
It is an elaborate form of castration but castration nonetheless. And given one can't actually change their sex, the person who proceeded with this surgery will then go on and cross dress when wearing attire from the sex he had a surgery to look more like.

Conflating castration to create a eunuch (which the Bible was describing) with modern SRS. Seriously? Seriously? You seriously believe Paul's off-the-cuff remark in Galatians 5:12 about castration related to eunuchs can lead us to condemning SRS as a sin? Or using potential later crossdressing to condemn SRS itself? Nonsense. Nonsense.

Aellex wrote:So, no; it's actually taking no leap at all; just looking honestly at what you're talking about rather than being mindlessly literal and restrictive just because you don't like the answer you're getting.

Don't accuse me of being disingenuous please. Just don't. But the point is moot anyway, as we fundamentally disagree on one thing:

Aellex wrote:one can't actually change their sex

Since we disagree on this one point, we can never agree.

Wave on, wave on

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:49 am

Welp, I guess anyone who's had medical intervention for testicular cancer is going to hell then.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:49 am

Aellex wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:Oh, right, you are someone that thinks that a man after SRS is still a man, and a woman after SRS is still a woman. OK. Sure.

Well yeah. I'm someone who doesn't believe that losing one's genital change your sex. It's quite the barbarous and retrograde view to hold, tbh.

It doesn't. Not alone. One's sense of self in regard to sexual identity is important.
Last edited by The New California Republic on Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wave on, wave on

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:52 am

Vassenor wrote:Welp, I guess anyone who's had medical intervention for testicular cancer is going to hell then.

:o

Wave on, wave on

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General