NATION

PASSWORD

President Selling Judgeships to get Obama-care?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Is President Obama bribing Congressmen for their votes on Healthcare Insurance Reform?

Definately. Obama is a Devil.
9%
Likely.
18%
Uncertain.
3%
Not Likely.
42%
Definately Not. Obama is a Gawd.
27%

Total votes : 33

Non Aligned States
Minister

Founded: Nov 14, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Non Aligned States » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:31 am

You-Gi-Owe wrote:I just want to explore folks thoughts on this one topic of news.

What you want, and what the general populace of NSG will do, given your previous track record in which most are aware of, are not going to be the same thing. You would have gotten the better results if you had never put this OP up at all.

Better to be ignored than actively scorned.

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 19, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Ashmoria » Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:37 am

You-Gi-Owe wrote:Well...
This seems awfully coincidental...
The President invited a number of Representatives, who had previously voted against the Senate version of Obama-care, to the White House the other night to see if he couldn't bring them around to his way of thinking. One of these Representatives was Jim Matheson, of Utah. Turns out Representative Matheson has a brother,Scott, in the legal profession. On the same day that Rep Matheson has dinner with the Prez, the Rep's brother gets nominated to an Appelate Court position in the the 10th Circuit. I wonder how this little tidbit of the appearance of impropriety got leaked....

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/obama-now-selling-appeals-court-judgeships-health-care-votes

heres the problem with that analysis.

the judgeship was given BEFORE the favor was demanded. if the president wanted to use it as leverage he wouldnt have done it in a way that takes it off the table as a carrot to mr matheson.

nominating a well qualified candidate is not a shocking bit of corruption.
whatever

Les Drapeaux Brulants
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 30, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Les Drapeaux Brulants » Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:42 am

Grave_n_idle wrote:
You-Gi-Owe wrote:
Whole Conviction wrote:Oh, and I love your JJ Jameson 'Spider-Man a Menace?' tabloid style of making a suggestion while being able to avoid actually having to back it up. What a mighty backbone you have, sir.

I have the facts and I have posted a link.

I have seen through different Administrations that one party ALWAYS admonishes the other party to avoid even the "appearance of impropriety". Didn't this Administration promise to be transparent and highly ethical? Well, add that to their other failures, I suppose.

Based on the fact that someone is someone's brother?

I thought you suggested you weren't just trying to do a partisan hatchet-job?

Special favors are handed out all the time, in return for votes. The Nelson thing is one especially egregious example. Why is this different?

Les Drapeaux Brulants
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 30, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Les Drapeaux Brulants » Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:44 am

Ashmoria wrote:
The President invited a number of Representatives, who had previously voted against the Senate version of Obama-care, to the White House the other night to see if he couldn't bring them around to his way of thinking. One of these Representatives was Jim Matheson, of Utah. Turns out Representative Matheson has a brother,Scott, in the legal profession. On the same day that Rep Matheson has dinner with the Prez, the Rep's brother gets nominated to an Appelate Court position in the the 10th Circuit. I wonder how this little tidbit of the appearance of impropriety got leaked....

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/obama-now-selling-appeals-court-judgeships-health-care-votes

the judgeship was given BEFORE the favor was demanded. if the president wanted to use it as leverage he wouldnt have done it in a way that takes it off the table as a carrot to mr matheson.

Announced today, meeting tonight -- hardly a significant temporal difference. Way too much a legislative coincidence.

Tekania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 26, 2004
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tekania » Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:48 am

You're telling me that after a meeting with Jim Matheson (the only democrat rep from Utah) Obama appointed his brother Scott (also a Democrat) to be a federal Appellate Court judicial position? This is Conspiracy worthy? You people must be running out of material...
Such heroic nonsense!

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Postby Ashmoria » Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:49 am

You-Gi-Owe wrote:
Whole Conviction wrote:Oh, and I love your JJ Jameson 'Spider-Man a Menace?' tabloid style of making a suggestion while being able to avoid actually having to back it up. What a mighty backbone you have, sir.

I have seen through different Administrations that one party ALWAYS admonishes the other party to avoid even the "appearance of impropriety". Didn't this Administration promise to be transparent and highly ethical? Well, add that to their other failures, I suppose.

the appearance would be equally bad if the president DIDNT nominate a well qualified democrat to the job after his brother voted against the HCR bills.
whatever

You-Gi-Owe
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 26, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby You-Gi-Owe » Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:51 am

Ashmoria wrote:

At last, a criticism not rooted it knee-jerk stupidity. Thanks Ash. It's a logical critcism, too. But it doesn't totally sweep the question away. After all, it isn't yet carved in stone that Scott Matheson will be appointed.
“Man, I'm so hip I won't even eat a square meal!”
"We've always been at war with Eastasia." 1984, George Orwell
Tyrion: "Those are brave men knocking at our door. Let's go kill them!"
“I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents.” ~ James Madison quotes

You-Gi-Owe
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 26, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby You-Gi-Owe » Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:54 am

Ashmoria wrote:
You-Gi-Owe wrote:

the appearance would be equally bad if the president DIDNT nominate a well qualified democrat to the job after his brother voted against the HCR bills.

Harder to prove the negative. The news-point is the timing of the nomination.
“Man, I'm so hip I won't even eat a square meal!”
"We've always been at war with Eastasia." 1984, George Orwell
Tyrion: "Those are brave men knocking at our door. Let's go kill them!"
“I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents.” ~ James Madison quotes

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Postby Ashmoria » Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:57 am

You-Gi-Owe wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:

At last, a criticism not rooted it knee-jerk stupidity. Thanks Ash. It's a logical critcism, too. But it doesn't totally sweep the question away. After all, it isn't yet carved in stone that Scott Matheson will be appointed.

which is something (for you) to keep an eye on. if the brother votes against the bill AND this nomination is withdrawn--which would be a chicago hardball tactic-- you have something. if the brother votes against the bill and the DEMOCRATS refuse to confirm the judgeship, that is reprisals (unless some scandal comes up).

utah is a pretty conservative state where even democrats arent particularly in line with the president's thinking. finding a well qualified democrat for a lifetime appointment to the federal bench is probably not as easy as you think it is.
whatever

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Postby Ashmoria » Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:58 am

You-Gi-Owe wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:
You-Gi-Owe wrote:

Harder to prove the negative. The news-point is the timing of the nomination.

i think he must have done a bunch of nominations at the same time. i think he appointed a US attny to new mexico the same day.
whatever

The_pantless_hero
Senator

Founded: Mar 19, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby The_pantless_hero » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:18 am

Obviously an editorial from a right-wing hack rag is the most reputable, unbiased source.
Bottle wrote:Equality is a slippery slope, people, and if you give it to the gays you have to give it to the polygamists and if you give it to the polygamists you have to give it to the serial dog molesters and if you give it to the serial dog molesters you have to give it to the machine fetishists and the next thing you know you're being tied up by a trio of polygamist lesbian powerbooks and you can't get out because the safety word is case sensistive!

Doing what we must because we can

Nobel Hobos
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 21, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:21 am

Hey, it's bipartisanship. It cuts your way too you know ... that's kinda the point of it.
AKA & RIP BunnySaurus Bugsii, Lucky Bicycle Works, Mean Feat, Godforsaken Warmachine, Class Warhair, Pandarchy

I'm sure I was excited when I won and bummed when I lost, but none of that stuck. Cause I was a kid, and I was alternately stoked and bummed at pretty much any given time. -Cannot think of a name
Brown people are only scary to those whose only contribution to humanity is their white skin.Big Jim P
I am a Christian. Christianity is my Morality's base OS.DASHES
... when the Light on the Hill dims, there are Greener pastures.Ardchoille

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006

Postby Farnhamia » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:47 am

Nobel Hobos wrote:

Hey, it's bipartisanship. It cuts your way too you know ... that's kinda the point of it.

But hey, Representative Matheson's brother is free to refuse the appointment and Mr. Matheson can cry to heaven against the attempted bribe.

Did either of them do any such thing?

No.

In fact, Rep. Matheson called the allegation of bribery "absurd."

Linky

Oh, in in the article, "While some Republicans may have questioned motives behind the nomination of Scott Matheson Jr., the GOP members of the Utah congressional delegation did not. Sen. Orrin Hatch and Rep. Jason Chaffetz, both R-Utah, praised him as well qualified and hailed his nomination."

Nice try, YGO. Once again, a molehill striving and failing to become a mountain.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

SD_Film Artists
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 10, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby SD_Film Artists » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:49 am

Congressmen have to be bribed to agree to healthcare reform? Idiots.
Last edited by SD_Film Artists on Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lurking NSG since 2005
Economic Left/Right: -2.62, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.67

When anybody preaches disunity, tries to pit one of us against each other through class warfare, race hatred, or religious intolerance, you know that person seeks to rob us of our freedom and destroy our very lives.

The Romulan Republic
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby The Romulan Republic » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:56 am

So the entirety of your "evidence" is that a relative of a Congressman Obama was meeting with happened to get a nomination? The source you gave even concedes that "...Scott Matheson appears to have the credentials to be a judge...." So, government jobs should be barred to anyone Obama meets with, to avoid "the appearance of impropriety"?

Of course, then you'd probably accuse Obama of denying the guy an appointment because his brother was a Republican Congressman. :palm:

God, you're really reaching. This is almost as pathetic as "Mustard-gate."
Last edited by The Romulan Republic on Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Our progress in degeneracy appears to me to be pretty rapid. As a nation, we began by declaring that "all men are created equal." We now practically read it "all men are created equal, except negroes" When the Know-Nothings get control, it will read "all men are created equal, except negroes, and foreigners, and Catholics." When it comes to this I should prefer emigrating to some country where they make no pretence of loving liberty -- to Russia, for instance, where despotism can be taken pure, and without the base alloy of hypocracy." - President Abraham Lincoln.

Tekania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 26, 2004
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tekania » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:04 am

The Romulan Republic wrote:

So the entirety of your "evidence" is that a relative of a Congressman Obama was meeting with happened to get a nomination? The source you gave even concedes that "...Scott Matheson appears to have the credentials to be a judge...." So, government jobs should be barred to anyone Obama meets with, to avoid "the appearance of impropriety"?

Of course, then you'd probably accuse Obama of denying the guy an appointment because his brother was a Republican Congressman. :palm:

God, you're really reaching. This is almost as pathetic as "Mustard-gate."

No... 1. He's a democrat (albeit a conservative one) not a republican congressman... 2. It would be viewed in such a way that his brother was DENIED teh appointment because of his lack of support...

IOW, If Obama had not put up Scott for appointment it would be viewed conspiratorially, and with him bringing the appointment it's viewed conspiratorially...
Such heroic nonsense!

Gauthier
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:34 am

Another YGO Obama hatchet job falls short. Also in the news: Sky is Blue, and The Pope is Catholic!
Crimes committed by Muslims will be a pan-Islamic plot and proof of Islam's inherent evil. On the other hand crimes committed by non-Muslims will merely be the acts of loners who do not represent their belief system at all.
The probability of one's participation in homosexual acts is directly proportional to one's public disdain and disgust for homosexuals.
If a political figure makes an accusation of wrongdoing without evidence, odds are probable that the accuser or an associate thereof has in fact committed the very same act, possibly to a worse degree.
Where is your God-Emperor now?

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:50 am

Gauthier wrote:Another YGO Obama hatchet job falls short. Also in the news: Sky is Blue, and The Pope is Catholic!

What I liked best about the article I linked was that it was Michelle Bachmann on Larry King who brought the whole thing up. :p
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz

NotnotgnimmiJymmiJ
Minister

Founded: Apr 04, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby NotnotgnimmiJymmiJ » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:57 am

Obama appoints Matheson
YGO: "Obama appoints Scott Matheson to bribe Congressman Jim Matheson into supporting health care reform."

Obama doesn't appoint Matheson
YGO: "Obama refuses to appoint Scott Matheson to punish Congressman Jim Matheson for not supporting health care reform."

Look YGO, you just hate Obama. There's nothing wrong with that. It's OK, we all get it. You can drop the pretense of non-partisanship.
You-Gi-Owe wrote:I hate all "spin doctoring". I don't mind honest disagreement and it's possible that people are expressing honest opinions, but spin doctoring is so pervasive, I gotta ask if I suspect it.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:04 am

NotnotgnimmiJymmiJ wrote:Obama appoints Matheson
YGO: "Obama appoints Scott Matheson to bribe Congressman Jim Matheson into supporting health care reform."

Obama doesn't appoint Matheson
YGO: "Obama refuses to appoint Scott Matheson to punish Congressman Jim Matheson for not supporting health care reform."

Look YGO, you just hate Obama. There's nothing wrong with that. It's OK, we all get it. You can drop the pretense of non-partisanship.

I'm starting to feel sorry for YGO. He keeps running in here, waving some half-assed story about how Obama is so awful, gets shot down, slinks off, then comes back. Remind you of anyone?

Nobel Hobos
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:11 am

Farnhamia wrote:
Nobel Hobos wrote:

But hey, Representative Matheson's brother is free to refuse the appointment and Mr. Matheson can cry to heaven against the attempted bribe.

No.

Linky

Oh, in in the article, "While some Republicans may have questioned motives behind the nomination of Scott Matheson Jr., the GOP members of the Utah congressional delegation did not. Sen. Orrin Hatch and Rep. Jason Chaffetz, both R-Utah, praised him as well qualified and hailed his nomination."

You are truly a gentleman. Once again, you correct me and inform me and agree with me, all in the one post. And I think, further the discussion as well.

Nice try, YGO. Once again, a molehill striving and failing to become a mountain.

Nice try, indeed. A most industrious mole !
AKA & RIP BunnySaurus Bugsii, Lucky Bicycle Works, Mean Feat, Godforsaken Warmachine, Class Warhair, Pandarchy

I'm sure I was excited when I won and bummed when I lost, but none of that stuck. Cause I was a kid, and I was alternately stoked and bummed at pretty much any given time. -Cannot think of a name
Brown people are only scary to those whose only contribution to humanity is their white skin.Big Jim P

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:21 am

Nobel Hobos wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:
Nobel Hobos wrote:

No.

Linky

You are truly a gentleman. Once again, you correct me and inform me and agree with me, all in the one post. And I think, further the discussion as well.

Why, thank you, sir. I accept your compliment in as lady-like a manner as I can (and how can one tell gender here?).

Nobel Hobos
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:46 am

Farnhamia wrote:
Nobel Hobos wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:
Nobel Hobos wrote:

No.

Linky

Why, thank you, sir. I accept your compliment in as lady-like a manner as I can (and how can one tell gender here?).

Well, there is a peripheral you can install beneath the keyboard ... but no, I shouldn't speak of that. You are married I believe, and the keyboard already comes between you and your partner I am guessing. No need to speak of the groin peripheral. Except to say that it attaches by USB, and is backwards-compatible with USB 1.1, though with a certain jerkiness due to the lower bandwidth.

Adieu, gentle Farnhamia. I have mammoths to subdue, onions to fry, and absurd thoughts to ARRGH!

NO! Get them away from me! THOUGHTS, THINKYTHINGS, BRAINVIRUSES ! Like buzzards, lurking to eat my BRAIN !

gtg

Ordo Mallus
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 31, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Ordo Mallus » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:47 am

its like your frends and things around you are on fire its only a matter of time untill you realize the house you are in is burning down.
A small mind is easily filled with faith.

“It is only the dead who have seen the end of war” Plato

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General