NATION

PASSWORD

Stupid Crap Teachers Told You

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

User avatar
KenKenpachi
Diplomat
 
Posts: 719
Founded: Jan 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby KenKenpachi » Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:09 am

Natapoc I've read all the pages, and I'm wondering, where do you live, given you seem to be from the US and didn't ever here the term "wet back" it has to be in a bubble or some such. Mutal respect is not possible unless you earn it and some people will not give it to you no matter what. Also your terminology of Democracy is at fault as well, some people agree with that you say, otheres want the goverment to run things for them and vote for the strongest. Then again having read your what needs to be done to fix America link, I find your a bit out there, more so who ever wrote that artical is, oh yes condem a nation on animal slaughter and "guberment".

Neither of you seem to have gotten out in the real world as it were and are shelterd with closed mindsets. People come in all strips and sizes, some people can not respect anyone unless they smack them down, some look for strength in others to rule them. Others don't give a shit at all period. Some do like you suggest and sit down and are civil, but they are a minority. Oh and you have suck ups. Point is you can't make any of those groups listen to you if they don't want too, hence why some teachers have to be a bit "mean", or in my case I have to slap people down from time to time.

In school myself I was a "don't care" student, unless it was a class I liked, I made it known I was there as the Law said so. I did my work and maybe took pot shots at the teacher, not enough to earn their wrath but enough to be a thorn so to speak. At the end of the year I schocked them as I DID pay attention in the class and passed the test at the end. Classes I liked, I made it known and I worked my way up to respect, I helped with my knowladge in the subject (some times as great or more than the teachers) and I did little odd and in favors for them, dealing with classmates they couldn't while they "stepped out" helping slower students, putting together work packets they ran off. In the end it got me there respect, alot of leeway, the princeible friendly to me, to the point my fights never got me sent home more than 3 days, mostly I got ISS for what some people got kicked out for.

Point is I became something of an assitant, problem solver, and earned respect and alot of leeway. But I ran into people who were total dicks and nothing could be done about them. A family member of mine worked at said school for 15 years, a new princible was hired, She looked for any and every reasson to fire him, as he wasn't a suck up. 15 years of work and you think the local administration would side with him, versus a woman who some had already complained on. Nope, she was higher on the social ladder, he ended up in the unemployment line. Thats how the world works, its crule, hateful, decitiful, full of people that look out for number one, you have good people but they are in a minority. Fact is we do have a class system even "classless" systems have classes, and he who is on top can be a bastard to you if they want, and jack shit you can do, unless you want to take a risk and knock them down.

The world is not a good place, unless you and I mean everyone makes it so, I find the best way to do that has been with force on the unjust. But thats me, as I said we all have various views, and the only reasson I type this is as I'm concerned about you. You strike me as a type of guy/girl I'll see in the paper one day for going into a bad part of town and a comment from a family member says, "S/he wouldn't listen, we told them it was dangerous to walk there, but they didn't listen wouldn't even take a weapon. Said it wasn't that bad people are just paraniod etc. Hell my step father thought that too, went to a bad part of town with a large black community, almost got jacked for being in someones parking spot, a public one mind you.
Last edited by KenKenpachi on Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
MAKE WAR NOT LOVE
"Sanity? I don't remember having such a thing to begin with." ""Sanity? Worthless things like that, I would not have as long as I can remember."

"Nation States General board. You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy"

User avatar
Voltairian Prospects
Diplomat
 
Posts: 811
Founded: Jun 07, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Voltairian Prospects » Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:13 am

One of my teachers called me the antichrist, that was pretty stupid.

Then I called her a cunt, so it all worked out.
-...After all, 'advice' is just a 6-letter way to say "Okay, here's how I fucked up"-Grave_n_Idle
-Some say the world will end in fire, some say in ice.
From what I'v tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire -Robert Frost

User avatar
Czardas
Retired Moderator
 
Posts: 6702
Founded: Feb 25, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Czardas » Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:37 am

Natapoc wrote:If the teacher gives no respect he or she will get no respect in return.

As a child, I lived by this philosophy. It screwed me over. Badly. In fact, I didn't have a childhood in the normal sense because I would treat authority figures with the same amount of respect they showed me.

I learned my lesson and now only ever interact with people out of necessity, and treat everyone more or less equally. The lesson is that people are mean, petty, vindictive, small-minded, self-centered, lying, manipulative bastards. And the only way to get ahead in life without avoiding people altogether is either to be a mean, petty, vindictive, small-minded, self-centered, lying, manipulative bastard yourself, or to have something that mean, petty, vindictive, small-minded, self-centered, lying, manipulative bastards want. That's basically how the cookie crumbles.

User avatar
North Suran
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 9974
Founded: Jul 12, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby North Suran » Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:52 am

Saint Jade IV wrote:I would really prefer if you did not refer to me as an ultra-authoritarian.

The above arguments are sufficient to restrict peoples' rights because the people in question are teenagers. They do not have the mental reasoning capacity of a fully grown adult, nor the reasoning capacity to see the consequences of their choices in the same way as an adult.

I am inclined to agree with you that a strong authority figure is necessary for a functional work area, but I find your reasoning for it both flawed and condescending. Teenagers - bear in mind that this term includes people old enough to vote, drive a car, have sex, get married and go to University - do not have a lower reasoning capacity of a fully grown adult. They are not infants; they are able to understand the consequences of their actions. The difference is that, when adolescents are operating in the class room environment, this is the first time they are experiencing a strictly regulated working environment. If you took a group of adults, gave them a relaxed life up to 30 and then dumped them into work, they would act in the exact same way as a teenager in Senior School. It is all about conditioning.

So yeah, can we please leave out the "It's for their own good because teenagers are idiots" rhetoric?
Neu Mitanni wrote:As for NS, his latest statement is grounded in ignorance and contrary to fact, much to the surprise of all NSGers.


User avatar
Beaglese
Civilian
 
Posts: 1
Founded: Feb 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Beaglese » Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:13 am

I had a (elementary I think) teacher once tell the class that the way a chicken egg gets fertilized is the female chicken lays the eggs and then the male chicken jumps over the eggs and fertilizes them. Is it no wonder that many of the people around us are blithering idiots?

User avatar
Kolpi
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 193
Founded: Nov 02, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Kolpi » Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:17 am

My third grade teacher showed the class two lines that weren't intersecting, but they were nowhere near parallel.
He said any two lines that were not intersecting were parallel. He was wrong.
Kolpi, the only nation run by mutant killer beetles.
FT nation, deal with it.
I was off-site for a while, then I decided to come back and check how things are going.

User avatar
Imperialist Reich
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 407
Founded: Mar 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Imperialist Reich » Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:24 am

My maths teacher tried to say that a square was the same as a circle. Happily - he dosnt work at school any more.
"Empires of the world have always risen and fallen through war and conquest, it seems that the Empire has risen without war but fall with conquest" - Emperor Sareth Aringarosa

User avatar
Chetssaland
Senator
 
Posts: 4669
Founded: May 15, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Chetssaland » Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:29 am

Ryadn wrote:
Chetssaland wrote:
Neo Art wrote:
Natapoc wrote:
Neo Art wrote:
Natapoc wrote:What a hostile school environment :( I would have recommended you start calling him comrade, sing the Internationale (english lyrics so he would understand) during the pledge, and drawing hammers and sickle on all the work you turned in but it would probably have been dangerous for you to do so.


because nothing shows maturity like childish rebellion


You could call it maturity... or you could call it trying to inject humor and fun into a bad situation?


Intentionally antagonizing an authority figure rather than go through the necessary and proper channels?

No, I'm going to call it exactly what it is. Fucking childish.


Excuse me, sir/mam, but relax a little. He/she was just joking around and I always have a little fun messing with teachers. You don't need to be a zombie to be smart or mature.


And then you're shocked when they're not overjoyed to be in your wise presence. Shocking. You must have terrible burns on your hands from touching the stove so many times.


No, actually I don't have any grudges with my teachers. When I say messing around, I mean long running jokes that the teachers and my classmates and I share. Even our teachers talked about some pranks they pulled on their teachers before. And I'm not trying to sound arrogant ever. I never feel I'm above my teachers or classmates. Just because I know more than most of my friends doesn't mean I show it. I don't think any of my friends actually know that I'm smart at all.

User avatar
Joannalandia
Envoy
 
Posts: 274
Founded: Oct 21, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Joannalandia » Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:37 am

My second grade teacher taught all of us that human being inhale oxygen and exhale carbon monoxide. She then defended her point when several 2nd graders corrected her, by telling them to "stop questioning her and stand in the corner." ...She was a bad teacher.
Military Population: 16,200,000
Defense Budget: N$79,545,782,056
Currently at DEFCON 3, due to recent terrorist attacks
And there went out another horse that was red: and power was given to him that sat thereon to take peace from the earth, and that they should kill one another: and there was given unto him a great sword.


Brogavia wrote:Well there ya go. That's the moral to this story. If you don't listen to your parents, you'll get your legs blown off.

User avatar
Joannalandia
Envoy
 
Posts: 274
Founded: Oct 21, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Joannalandia » Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:39 am

Kolpi wrote:My third grade teacher showed the class two lines that weren't intersecting, but they were nowhere near parallel.
He said any two lines that were not intersecting were parallel. He was wrong.

Well in a way, this is correct. Geometrically speaking in 2 dimensions, lines continue forever from both ends. Thus, the only pair of lines that don't intersect SOMEWHERE are parallel lines. Line segments and rays on the other hand have end points, and it's possible for these to be neither intersecting nor parallel.
Military Population: 16,200,000
Defense Budget: N$79,545,782,056
Currently at DEFCON 3, due to recent terrorist attacks
And there went out another horse that was red: and power was given to him that sat thereon to take peace from the earth, and that they should kill one another: and there was given unto him a great sword.


Brogavia wrote:Well there ya go. That's the moral to this story. If you don't listen to your parents, you'll get your legs blown off.

User avatar
Chetssaland
Senator
 
Posts: 4669
Founded: May 15, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Chetssaland » Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:40 am

Joannalandia wrote:My second grade teacher taught all of us that human being inhale oxygen and exhale carbon monoxide. She then defended her point when several 2nd graders corrected her, by telling them to "stop questioning her and stand in the corner." ...She was a bad teacher.


I hate the teachers who refuse to be corrected. I've had teachers where they'll give actually give us a peice of candy or something along those lines if we correct them at the right time and place (after class; it would be kind of rude to do it in class). I've had others who would do exactly what yours did. Yes, I know that I'm not smarter than the teachers. All I'm saying is that they should be willing to be corrected if they're wrong.

User avatar
Drogensucht
Political Columnist
 
Posts: 2
Founded: Mar 04, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Drogensucht » Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:00 am

I was told a lot of stupid things in school.

In first grade, I was told that an apostrophe could never show possession and, when I tried to point that out using the example, "The dog's house" to signify a single dog owning a house, my teacher said that was impossible and I was incorrect. It stayed with me because NO ONE in the class would believe me because I wasn't the teacher.

And, during my health class junior year I was told by my teacher that condoms offer no protection against HIV because the condom was too porous and the virus too small. :roll:

User avatar
Linux and the X
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5442
Founded: Apr 29, 2006
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Linux and the X » Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:05 am

Joannalandia wrote:
Kolpi wrote:My third grade teacher showed the class two lines that weren't intersecting, but they were nowhere near parallel.
He said any two lines that were not intersecting were parallel. He was wrong.

Well in a way, this is correct. Geometrically speaking in 2 dimensions, lines continue forever from both ends. Thus, the only pair of lines that don't intersect SOMEWHERE are parallel lines. Line segments and rays on the other hand have end points, and it's possible for these to be neither intersecting nor parallel.

Only if they're both in the same plane.
If you see I've made a mistake in my wording or a factual detail, telegram me and I'll fix it. I'll even give you credit for pointing it out, if you'd like.
BLUE LIVES MURDER

[violet]: Maybe we could power our new search engine from the sexual tension between you two.
Me, responding to a request to vote for a liberation: But... but that would blemish my near-perfect history of spitefully voting against anything the SC does!
Farnhamia: That is not to be taken as license to start calling people "buttmunch."

GPG key ID: A8960638 fingerprint: 2239 2687 0B50 2CEC 28F7 D950 CCD0 26FC A896 0638

they/them pronouns

User avatar
Joannalandia
Envoy
 
Posts: 274
Founded: Oct 21, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Joannalandia » Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:11 am

Linux and the X wrote:
Joannalandia wrote:
Kolpi wrote:My third grade teacher showed the class two lines that weren't intersecting, but they were nowhere near parallel.
He said any two lines that were not intersecting were parallel. He was wrong.

Well in a way, this is correct. Geometrically speaking in 2 dimensions, lines continue forever from both ends. Thus, the only pair of lines that don't intersect SOMEWHERE are parallel lines. Line segments and rays on the other hand have end points, and it's possible for these to be neither intersecting nor parallel.

Only if they're both in the same plane.

Hence 2 dimensions.
Military Population: 16,200,000
Defense Budget: N$79,545,782,056
Currently at DEFCON 3, due to recent terrorist attacks
And there went out another horse that was red: and power was given to him that sat thereon to take peace from the earth, and that they should kill one another: and there was given unto him a great sword.


Brogavia wrote:Well there ya go. That's the moral to this story. If you don't listen to your parents, you'll get your legs blown off.

User avatar
Nobel Hobos
Negotiator
 
Posts: 7198
Founded: Jun 21, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos » Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:17 am

Joannalandia wrote:
Linux and the X wrote:
Joannalandia wrote:
Kolpi wrote:My third grade teacher showed the class two lines that weren't intersecting, but they were nowhere near parallel.
He said any two lines that were not intersecting were parallel. He was wrong.

Well in a way, this is correct. Geometrically speaking in 2 dimensions, lines continue forever from both ends. Thus, the only pair of lines that don't intersect SOMEWHERE are parallel lines. Line segments and rays on the other hand have end points, and it's possible for these to be neither intersecting nor parallel.

Only if they're both in the same plane.

Hence 2 dimensions.


Lines can also intersect in three dimension, providing they're on the same plane in that space.

That two lines intersect is an equivalent statement to them being in the same plane. I think,
AKA & RIP BunnySaurus Bugsii, Lucky Bicycle Works, Mean Feat, Godforsaken Warmachine, Class Warhair, Pandarchy

I'm sure I was excited when I won and bummed when I lost, but none of that stuck. Cause I was a kid, and I was alternately stoked and bummed at pretty much any given time. -Cannot think of a name
Brown people are only scary to those whose only contribution to humanity is their white skin.Big Jim P
I am a Christian. Christianity is my Morality's base OS.DASHES
... when the Light on the Hill dims, there are Greener pastures.Ardchoille

User avatar
Sierra Systems
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 169
Founded: Mar 06, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Sierra Systems » Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:23 am

Cabra West wrote:One of our teachers told us that humans need meat for a balanced diet...



Funny story that... Buddy of mine took a class in college, bio class of some stripe if I recall. One project they were given was to design a feasible diet for someone that used absolutely no meat, and it had to work over a persons lifespan. EVERYONE in his class reached the conclusion that unless you consume something in the realm of three thousand calories a day, you'll eventually(about forty years after you start the veggie diet, depending how well you plan it) develop various nutritional deficiencies. Now, I'm sure this didn't take into account things like vitamin pills etc. but I just thought it was a funny story I'd share with the interwebs. Please do not ask me to make any explanations of any data involved. I'm only relating data as it was told to me. Hate on him or his teacher.

User avatar
Tekania
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 21353
Founded: May 26, 2004
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tekania » Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:28 am

Sierra Systems wrote:
Cabra West wrote:One of our teachers told us that humans need meat for a balanced diet...



Funny story that... Buddy of mine took a class in college, bio class of some stripe if I recall. One project they were given was to design a feasible diet for someone that used absolutely no meat, and it had to work over a persons lifespan. EVERYONE in his class reached the conclusion that unless you consume something in the realm of three thousand calories a day, you'll eventually(about forty years after you start the veggie diet, depending how well you plan it) develop various nutritional deficiencies. Now, I'm sure this didn't take into account things like vitamin pills etc. but I just thought it was a funny story I'd share with the interwebs. Please do not ask me to make any explanations of any data involved. I'm only relating data as it was told to me. Hate on him or his teacher.


Pretty accurate, there are simply some nutrients which we require that are only naturally occurring in meat... With the existence of fortified grains and supplemental pills meat can how-ever be eliminated from ones diet if they so wished...
Such heroic nonsense!

User avatar
Tungookska
Minister
 
Posts: 2310
Founded: Jan 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Tungookska » Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:39 am

Tretskivucia wrote:I was once told by my history teacher in an overview of this years syllabus:

"you don't really need to learn about Hitler, he's not important"



From what I've seen, Hitler is the only historical figure kids know about.. So I can sort of see why they would say that

User avatar
Trippoli
Minister
 
Posts: 2394
Founded: May 16, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Trippoli » Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:48 am

Greater Americania wrote:
United Marktoria wrote:I am glad I go to a public school where Religion is a no-no to teach. Because if I was in a Religion class, there would be daily arguments.


lol I'm from Texas and here, the schools have a bible study club.

I'm just gonna sit back and watch all the Atheists freak out at the above statement.


Or you guys can just secede.
Man of the Eastern Shore
ARMY STRONG

[b]Economic Left
/Right: -7.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.82 [/b]
COOL Political Compass Graph!
I LOVE RUSSIAN REVERSAL!
Social Liberalism
79%
Socialist
79%
Libertarianism
63%
Totalitarianism
63%
Independance
46%
Democracy
46%
Anarchism
42%
Social Conservatism
33%
Capitalist
33%
Monarchy
29%

Panzerjaeger wrote:One small stroke for man, One Giant Orgasm for Mankind!

North Wiedna wrote:
Chrobalta wrote:Poll Dancing.

oh yea, look at those politicians work those polls.

User avatar
Karsol
Senator
 
Posts: 4431
Founded: Jan 13, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Karsol » Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:51 am

Trippoli wrote:
Greater Americania wrote:
United Marktoria wrote:I am glad I go to a public school where Religion is a no-no to teach. Because if I was in a Religion class, there would be daily arguments.


lol I'm from Texas and here, the schools have a bible study club.

I'm just gonna sit back and watch all the Atheists freak out at the above statement.


Or you guys can just secede.

And not be recognised and be forcibly put back in the unioun and given sanctions like a naughty child is given spankings/alternate punishment
01010000 01100101 01101110 01101001 01110011 00100001 00100001 00100001
Ronald Reagan: "Well, what do you believe in? Do you want to abolish the rich?"
Olof Palme, the Prime Minister of Sweden: "No, I want to abolish the poor."

Your political compass
Economic Left/Right: -7.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.54

User avatar
Arivada
Senator
 
Posts: 4324
Founded: Jun 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Arivada » Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:55 am

I remember my fourth grade teacher saying that the Prime Meridian and the Intl. dateline were the samething. I said "no, they are not. They may be connected but they are different" then he researched it and found out I was right.

98% of all internet users would cry if facebook would break down, if you are part of that 2% who simply would sit back and laugh then copy and paste this into your sig

User avatar
Wiztopia
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 7605
Founded: Mar 05, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Wiztopia » Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:56 am

Saint Jade IV wrote:
Natapoc wrote:
South Norwega wrote:
Wiztopia wrote:Some of it obviously yes is inappropriate. A lot of you mentioned isn't though. You should look at countries WITHOUT dress codes. The only reason SOME students wear what you said is because they normally have to wear a crappy uniform. School uniforms are just crap.
Not really. Case in point, school excursions. With uniforms students are readily identifiable, without they can just slip away into the crowd. Lack of uniforms makes truanting easier.

Wiztopia wrote:If it's on their own notebook then you have no reason to complain.

Oh yes (she?) bloody does. Teachers are the rulers of classrooms. If you can't conform to their rules, you're likely to not be able to conform to society's rules. As Saint Jade said, normal workers don't cover their work folders and so on with obscenities. Why should students have leeway in that regard?


So many ultra authoritarians on this forum. Even if your arguments were true why would any of these reasons be sufficient to restrict a persons rights?

Teachers should not be the "Rulers of the classroom" what better way to train a child how to best behave in a so called democracy then to raise them in a dictatorship of a classroom right? And you wonder why they grow up to have no understanding or desire to participate in society.

This is the kind of logic the western world fought bloody revolutions to topple.


I would really prefer if you did not refer to me as an ultra-authoritarian.

The above arguments are sufficient to restrict peoples' rights because the people in question are teenagers. They do not have the mental reasoning capacity of a fully grown adult, nor the reasoning capacity to see the consequences of their choices in the same way as an adult.

Furthermore, teachers are the rulers of their classroom in much the same way that a supervisor is the ruler of their team. They enforce the rules of that company, organisation, whatever. Don't like it - find another job. Or in this case school. As I frequently tell my students.

Uniforms enable us as teachers to enforce a level of discipline. They also provide us with a distance from the teenagers in our care that reinforces our position as authority figures. One of the things I tell my students when they complain about having to wear a uniform when teachers don't is that when they have done 4 years of uni, they can come back to school wearing their own clothes, and work in crappy conditions with little pay and less recognition for the job that they do. But at least they can wear what they like.

Students have far more rights than I had working in a call centre where even my bathroom breaks were timed and restricted. I do believe that real-world experience benefits me as a teacher, as I have something to fall back on and justify my enforcement of the rules with - experience that tells me the rules I am enforcing are no different to the rules that many of these students will find when working in the real world.

Students have ample opportunity through representation on school councils equal to that of parents and teachers, student councils and other committees. They also can organise themselves if they choose to effect change. And there are always teachers willing to help them do that. When they are mature and sensible about it. When they simply whine about the unfairness of it all because they can't buy coke from the train station but the teachers can, they simply betray the reasons why such rules are in place. Their own immaturity.


You must be like a 50 year old bitter teacher then. What the hell kind of discipline can a uniform actually enforce? There's really no real reason to even have a stupid rule such as that. Also that coke thing is incredibly stupid. Who the fuck makes a rule such as that?

User avatar
Hydesland
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 15005
Founded: Nov 28, 2005
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Hydesland » Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:58 am

Wiztopia wrote:You must be like a 50 year old bitter teacher then. What the hell kind of discipline can a uniform actually enforce? There's really no real reason to even have a stupid rule such as that. Also that coke thing is incredibly stupid. Who the fuck makes a rule such as that?


Is it possible you're projecting American society (or whatever country you live in) to the rest of us? School uniform is pretty standard in places like the UK.

User avatar
Augarundus
Negotiator
 
Posts: 7004
Founded: Dec 22, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Augarundus » Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:00 am

Jingoist Hippostan wrote:In high school, my Advanced Placement US Government teacher told me that the United States was a Christian nation. When I pointed out that many of the founding fathers were atheists or deists, she told me that Deism was a sect of Christianity.

So, share the stupid shit you've been told by teachers over your life.


'Was'

Yeah, maybe.

The United States was founded by many Christians (in addition to many atheists), and deism isn't necessarily contrary to most Christian beliefs. In fact, it is completely compatible and, to an extent, I might even describe myself as a deist;

According to the ultimate source of truth and knowledge, Wikipedia:
Deism (\ˈdi:iz(ə)m\[1] or \ˈdē-ˌi-zəm\)[2] is a religious and philosophical belief that a supreme being created the universe, and that this (and religious truth in general) can be determined using reason and observation of the natural world alone, without the need for either faith or organized religion.


Though I do belong to the Catholic Church, and I am supportive of my faith, I justify every argument I make by reason. I do not have faith, I have logic (objectivism). Reality exists as an objective absolute and man's mind is his soul means of perceiving it. A decision made on emotion is immoral; only logic can justify any action.

But, I'll stop spewing my Ayn Rand propaganda and get back on topic.

The United States Constitution and Bill of Rights was heavily based on Judeo-Christian ideology (particularly ethics, not necessarily spiritual doctrine). Was- and is- the United States a 'religious nation'? Yes. Not a theocracy; the vast majority of US citizens have SOME religious beliefs, and they are free to practice such beliefs.

As a secular state, the government cannot promote, nor attack, such religious beliefs, as it is a violation of basic human rights.

The 'In God we Trust' and 'One Nation Under God' phrases pay homage to the traditional heritage of our nation, not necessarily to any denomination. Though, neither were originally on currency or in the Pledge of Allegiance, if my memory serves...
Libertarian Purity Test Score: 160
Capitalism is always the answer. Whenever there's a problem in capitalism, you just need some more capitalism. If the solution isn't capitalism, then it's not really a problem. If your capitalism gets damaged, you just need to throw some capitalism on it and get on with your life.

User avatar
Astralsideria
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1978
Founded: Mar 25, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Astralsideria » Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:06 am

Imperialist Reich wrote:My maths teacher tried to say that a square was the same as a circle. Happily - he dosnt work at school any more.


I'm intrigued: how the hell did he manage to do that, and still look vaguely plausible? Or am I wrong in my assumption that he looked plausible while doing this?
Vive la Sidéraure • Long live Astralsideria
AMOM's view: http://209.85.48.11/14831/181/emo/terrrrrrrrrize.png
Nobody does it better than Unicef: http://www.unicef.org/
« Quand on me dit, le capitalisme n'aime pas les pauvres, je réponds, c'est vrai, nous voulons en faire des riches. »

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Andsed, Dooom35796821595, FelrikTheDeleted, Google [Bot], Ifreann, Infected Mushroom, Jean-Paul Sartre, Novus America, Outer Zania, Philjia, Serconas, Souseiseki, Takso, The Emerald Legion, The Grene Knyght, The Two Jerseys, The Xenopolis Confederation

Advertisement

Remove ads