NATION

PASSWORD

Stupid Crap Teachers Told You

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

SaintB
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 18, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby SaintB » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:43 am

The Candy Lane wrote:i went to a canadian public school were i was taugh liberalism would save the world, and multicuralism is the cure for wars.
Now im living in a city plagued by Gang wars (indian vs chinese, white vs black, etc)

because none of those people want to get along and they refuse to acknowledge other cultures. that and its because they want to make money selling drugs.
Hi my name is SaintB and I am prone to sarcasm and hyperbole. Because of this I make no warranties, express or implied, concerning the accuracy, completeness, reliability or suitability of the above statement, of its constituent parts, or of any supporting data. These terms are subject to change without notice from myself.

Every day NationStates tells me I have one issue. I am pretty sure I've got more than that.

The Adrian Empire
Senator

Founded: Aug 31, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Adrian Empire » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:46 am

The Candy Lane wrote:i went to a canadian public school were i was taugh liberalism would save the world, and multicuralism is the cure for wars.
Now im living in a city plagued by Gang wars (indian vs chinese, white vs black, etc)

I'll hazard a guess...
Vancouver or it's boroughs?

Either way.
Both are fairly poor theories,
Not that I like racism, multiculturalism, however doesn't to me do any better
Liberalism, well, just no
From the Desk of His Excellency, Emperor Kyle Cicero Argentis
Region Inc. "Selling Today for a Brighter Tomorrow"
"What is the Price of Prosperity? Eternal Vigilance"
Let's call it Voluntary Government Minarchism
Economic: Left/Right (9.5)
Social: Authoritarian/Libertarian (-2.56)
Sibirsky wrote:
Lackadaisical2 wrote:The Adrian Empire is God.

Oh of course. But not to the leftists.

Faith Hope Charity wrote:I would just like to take this time to say... The Adrian Empire is awesome.
First imagine the 1950's in space, add free market capitalism, aliens, orcs, elves and magic, throw in some art-deco cities, the Roman Empire and finish with the Starship Troopers' Federation
The Imperial Factbook| |Census 2010

UnhealthyTruthseeker
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 16, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby UnhealthyTruthseeker » Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:15 am

Mollux wrote:Because "If a dog is blind, then it cannot see," is an if/then statement, it is a hypothesis.

Never mind that it is not testable, and is simply the definition of blindness.

That's not a stupid statement. Mathematicians and scientists mean different things by the word "hypothesis," that's all.
A little homework for you!

What part of L(f(t)) = Int(exp(-s*t)*f(t),t,0,inf) don't you understand?

Czardas
Retired Moderator

Founded: Feb 25, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Czardas » Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:17 am

Different kinds of stupid: a math teacher who once took points off a homework assignment because I had put down the answer to 7 - (-4) as 11. He said it was 3. I imagine he had misread the problem, though. Then there was an English teacher with the attitude of "there is only one correct way to interpret this text, and it's mine." Any interpretations that differed from hers (which were often from a fundamentalist Christan viewpoint) were wrong and would receive poor grades. (She also had a tendency to round down the grades of students she didn't like, such as me, but that veers into different territory.) Later on, I had a composition teacher who informed me that the music I wrote was worthless rubbish (although in fancier words). He was emulating his old music teacher, it turned out, who'd done exactly the same thing (to the point of tearing up manuscripts if they displeased him), but still, not exactly the best teaching strategy.

And of course there were teachers who told me that people are pleasant, nice, or trustworthy, or teachers who told me that everyone's opinion is equally valuable and worthy of consideration, and the like. But considering those statements "stupid" would probably send me careening into Internet Tough Guy territory. <.<
30 | she/her | USA | ✡︎ | ☭ | ♫

I have devised a truly marvelous signature, which this textblock is too small to contain

Uawc
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 24, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Uawc » Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:19 am

Anything and everything related to politics.
Pro-democracy, pro-NATO, anti-authoritarian, anti-extremism.
Ex-leftist and ex-Muslim.

I stand with Ukraine and Israel.

Unilisia
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Unilisia » Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:21 am

Riveara wrote:Nobody hates America

WOW. Since when ?

:eyebrow: :palm:
I am the mighty Uni.

Tiami wrote:I bow before the mighty Uni.

Lackadaisical2 wrote:If it shocked Uni, I know I don't want to read it.
You win.

Kylarnatia wrote:Steep hill + wheelchair + my lap - I think we know where that goes ;)

Katganistan wrote:That is fucking stupid.

L Ron Cupboard wrote:He appears to be propelling himself out of the flames with explosive diarrhea while his mother does jazz hands.

Mike the Progressive wrote:Because women are gods, men are pigs, and we, the males, deserve to all be castrated.

Neo Arcad wrote:Uni doesn't sleep. She waits.

Lunatic Goofballs wrote:Collector: "Why are these coins all sticky?"

Kleggus
Envoy

Founded: Jan 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Kleggus » Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:26 am

My teacher trys to tell me that the first nations never fought eachother, ever!
Then on the next page we read about a war the cree and blood tribes fought...

Karsol
Senator

Founded: Jan 13, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Karsol » Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:27 am

That the electron rings of an atom were only comprised 8 electrons every ring after the first two electron ring.

I after doing my A-levels I knew this was false.
01010000 01100101 01101110 01101001 01110011 00100001 00100001 00100001
Ronald Reagan: "Well, what do you believe in? Do you want to abolish the rich?"
Olof Palme, the Prime Minister of Sweden: "No, I want to abolish the poor."

Your political compass
Economic Left/Right: -7.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.54

Rejistania
Senator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Rejistania » Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:27 am

UnhealthyTruthseeker wrote:I was told that everyone's opinion is equally valid and that all opinions matter.

My German teacher did that as well. Then gave people bad marks who disagreed with him. :roll:

And we had religious education in school, so I got fed a lot of crap. It helped me becoming an atheist though...
Rejis sjiki, linux sjiki, alari sjiki, korona sjiki!
Forever united, forever free, forever in justice, forever prospering!

"Tekneluru mi'aru mi aji, il'sidekhir'ra mi, lajistas. Mi'ki'vasu kynha'het kijitax." Hank͜hila Sede, first lentine (translation: A dream is only a dream until it is reached. After that, it becomes something trivial)

Headlines from the Na~ovi Nanti: Hetkali election ended in no candidate over 2% hurdle - Syku I Jai fired as coach of Aetaila Seli, youth coach Hea I Juien takes over reins of club - Rising number of fairy penguins in Sumumusumu and neighboring islands

This person is pro-EU and proud of it! They are also a Eurofederalist and want the Federated States of Europe!

Cabra West
Senator

Founded: Jan 15, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Cabra West » Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:28 am

One of our teachers told us that humans need meat for a balanced diet...
"I was walking along the bank of a stream when I saw a mother otter with her cubs. A very endearing sight, and as I watched, the mother otter dived into the water and came up with a plump salmon, which she subdued and dragged on to a half-submerged log. As she ate it, while of course it was still alive, the body split and I remember to this day the sweet pinkness of its roes as they spilled out, much to the delight of the baby otters who scrambled over themselves to feed on the delicacy. One of nature’s wonders: mother and children dining upon mother and children. And that’s when I first learned about evil. It is built in to the very nature of the universe. If there is any kind of supreme being, I told myself, it is up to all of us to become his moral superior."

Lord Vetinari

Cabra West
Senator

Founded: Jan 15, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Cabra West » Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:31 am

The Adrian Empire wrote:I'll hazard a guess...
Vancouver or it's boroughs?

Either way.
Both are fairly poor theories,
Not that I like racism, multiculturalism, however doesn't to me do any better
Liberalism, well, just no

Right... so you don't want people to live separately, but you don't want them living together either?
"I was walking along the bank of a stream when I saw a mother otter with her cubs. A very endearing sight, and as I watched, the mother otter dived into the water and came up with a plump salmon, which she subdued and dragged on to a half-submerged log. As she ate it, while of course it was still alive, the body split and I remember to this day the sweet pinkness of its roes as they spilled out, much to the delight of the baby otters who scrambled over themselves to feed on the delicacy. One of nature’s wonders: mother and children dining upon mother and children. And that’s when I first learned about evil. It is built in to the very nature of the universe. If there is any kind of supreme being, I told myself, it is up to all of us to become his moral superior."

Lord Vetinari

Grandais
Minister

Founded: Jan 06, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Grandais » Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:37 am

Karsol wrote:That the electron rings of an atom were only comprised 8 electrons every ring after the first two electron ring.

I after doing my A-levels I knew this was false.

The thing with high-school chemistry is that classes retcon the previous years. In other words, they teach you false information in the early years because they reckoned you couldn't understand it then.

In year 7, atoms have 2 electrons in the first shell and 8 in every one afterward.
In year 8, they have 2 electrons in the first shell, 8 in the second, and it goes up from there (don't quite remember the exact numbers)
In year 12, each pair of electrons is in an 'orbital', and each shell is divided into up to four subshells with differing numbers of electrons.

There's other stuff I don't remember but it's weird like that. It was easier when people thought atoms were the smallest particles! :lol2:
DEFCON 5 [4] 3 2 1
Grandais News|Factbook|Embassies

Grandais
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Grandais » Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:51 am

Parivrtta Niraamaya wrote:My science teacher, just today, promised to show us pictures of aborted babies to show us how horrible abortion is.

Hmm, wouldn't the school not allow that?

Parivrtta Niraamaya wrote:He also hates pre-marital sex ("don't understand marriage"), any birth control but 'rhythm' or whatever that is and a bunch of other things.

Rhythm method is when you use a calendar to determine when someone has their period and not have sex on those days.
It's pretty inaccurate.
Last edited by Grandais on Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
DEFCON 5 [4] 3 2 1

UnhealthyTruthseeker
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby UnhealthyTruthseeker » Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:56 am

Grandais wrote:The thing with high-school chemistry is that classes retcon the previous years. In other words, they teach you false information in the early years because they reckoned you couldn't understand it then.

In year 7, atoms have 2 electrons in the first shell and 8 in every one afterward.
In year 8, they have 2 electrons in the first shell, 8 in the second, and it goes up from there (don't quite remember the exact numbers)
In year 12, each pair of electrons is in an 'orbital', and each shell is divided into up to four subshells with differing numbers of electrons.

There's other stuff I don't remember but it's weird like that. It was easier when people thought atoms were the smallest particles! :lol2:

After that, electrons in an atom have four quantum numbers corresponding to four different sets of eigenvalues for solutions of the Dirac equation.

The principle quantum number n. It can be any integer strictly greater than 0.

The orbital angular momentum quantum number l. "l" can be any integer from 0 to n-1, where n is the particular principle quantum number.

The magnetic quantum number m, which represents the projection of the total angular momentum onto an imposed axis. It can have any integer value from -l to l.

The spin quantum number, which is very strange and sort of represents the intrinsic angular momentum of a particle. It can only ever have two values, +1/2 or -1/2.

Because electrons must obey the Pauli exclusion principle, no two electrons can have the same set of quantum numbers.

Thus, we see that 2 electrons fit in the n = 1 shell, 8 fit into the n = 2 shell, 18 into the n = 3 shell, etc.

The s, p, d, f, and so on orbitals that you get come from different values of l. When l = 0, you get s. l = 1 gets you p, and so on.

Strictly speaking, even this is technically wrong for all atoms other than Hydrogen. However, it's pretty close to what's actually going on. It turns out that, due to the fun issue with 3 or more body problems, we can't get an actual closed-form solution for the exact wave-functions for electrons in non-hydrogenic atoms. (A hydrogenic atom is an atom with one electron.)

Blob-land
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 03, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Blob-land » Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:57 am

UnhealthyTruthseeker wrote:I was told that everyone's opinion is equally valid and that all opinions matter.

Lies!

This may not be teachers, but...a girl in my class (while studying WW2 in 5th grade) asked "Who's Hitler?" and "What's a bomber?" my friend's jaws fell to the floor, and nearly got a detention for laughing.
RESIST HUMANITY

Myplaceyo wrote:
Blob-land wrote:
Myplaceyo wrote:Remember the Titans...I cry like a man at the end of that one. You know: Man movie crying...where you silently tear up so when your girlfriend goes "are you crying?" you can go "fuck no...now get back in the kitchen!"

AND MAKE ME MY SAMMICH, DAMMIT!

It's like "My pants are on...you're not bringing me food...so why are you even here?"

Stephanie Meyer, war criminal, mauler of Literature, destroyer of hopes and dreams for a better world~The Rich Port

Rejistania
Senator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Rejistania » Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:58 am

Parivrtta Niraamaya wrote:Oh, and I almost forgot; this was what was at the end of our birth control lecture:

Abstinence is the only 100% birth control method.

It didn't help Mary ;)
Last edited by Rejistania on Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rejis sjiki, linux sjiki, alari sjiki, korona sjiki!
Forever united, forever free, forever in justice, forever prospering!

"Tekneluru mi'aru mi aji, il'sidekhir'ra mi, lajistas. Mi'ki'vasu kynha'het kijitax." Hank͜hila Sede, first lentine (translation: A dream is only a dream until it is reached. After that, it becomes something trivial)

Headlines from the Na~ovi Nanti: Hetkali election ended in no candidate over 2% hurdle - Syku I Jai fired as coach of Aetaila Seli, youth coach Hea I Juien takes over reins of club - Rising number of fairy penguins in Sumumusumu and neighboring islands

This person is pro-EU and proud of it! They are also a Eurofederalist and want the Federated States of Europe!

Grandais
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Grandais » Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:05 am

Blob-land wrote:

Lies!

This may not be teachers, but...a girl in my class (while studying WW2 in 5th grade) asked "Who's Hitler?" and "What's a bomber?" my friend's jaws fell to the floor, and nearly got a detention for laughing.

:/

UnhealthyTruthseeker wrote:
Grandais wrote:The thing with high-school chemistry is that classes retcon the previous years. In other words, they teach you false information in the early years because they reckoned you couldn't understand it then.

After that, electrons in an atom have four quantum numbers corresponding to four different sets of eigenvalues for solutions of the Dirac equation.

The principle quantum number n. It can be any integer strictly greater than 0.

The orbital angular momentum quantum number l. "l" can be any integer from 0 to n-1, where n is the particular principle quantum number.

The magnetic quantum number m, which represents the projection of the total angular momentum onto an imposed axis. It can have any integer value from -l to l.

The spin quantum number, which is very strange and sort of represents the intrinsic angular momentum of a particle. It can only ever have two values, +1/2 or -1/2.

Because electrons must obey the Pauli exclusion principle, no two electrons can have the same set of quantum numbers.

Thus, we see that 2 electrons fit in the n = 1 shell, 8 fit into the n = 2 shell, 18 into the n = 3 shell, etc.

The s, p, d, f, and so on orbitals that you get come from different values of l. When l = 0, you get s. l = 1 gets you p, and so on.

Strictly speaking, even this is technically wrong for all atoms other than Hydrogen. However, it's pretty close to what's actually going on. It turns out that, due to the fun issue with 3 or more body problems, we can't get an actual closed-form solution for the exact wave-functions for electrons in non-hydrogenic atoms. (A hydrogenic atom is an atom with one electron.)

My brain!
DEFCON 5 [4] 3 2 1

Antilon
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 11, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Antilon » Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:43 am

"It's okay for people to vote for Palin because she has nice-looking glasses." (Oct., 2008)

Blitzkrenia
Minister

Founded: Sep 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Blitzkrenia » Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:44 am

A teacher once told me I'd amount to great things.

Unless the definition of "great things" is sitting in front of a ancient laptop while wearing the same clothes for 3 days, that was a lie,
Last edited by Blitzkrenia on Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Seriousness is the only refuge of the shallow." -Oscar Wilde

You-Gi-Owe
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 26, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby You-Gi-Owe » Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:45 am

Jingoist Hippostan wrote:In high school, my Advanced Placement US Government teacher told me that the United States was a Christian nation. When I pointed out that many of the founding fathers were atheists or deists, she told me that Deism was a sect of Christianity.

So, share the stupid shit you've been told by teachers over your life.

Your teacher was 50% right.

America IS a Christian nation, founded upon Judeo-Christian principles and mostly populated by Christians of different denominations, which happens to have a secular/non-religious government.

The "deism" thing is kind of silly.

In your opinion, though, how many founding fathers were there and what percentage of that number meets the requirements for "many"? In your opinion, does many equal single digits, double digits....
“Man, I'm so hip I won't even eat a square meal!”
"We've always been at war with Eastasia." 1984, George Orwell
Tyrion: "Those are brave men knocking at our door. Let's go kill them!"
“I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents.” ~ James Madison quotes

UnhealthyTruthseeker
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby UnhealthyTruthseeker » Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:51 am

You-Gi-Owe wrote:Your teacher was 50% right.

America IS a Christian nation, founded upon Judeo-Christian principles and mostly populated by Christians of different denominations, which happens to have a secular/non-religious government.

In your opinion, though, how many founding fathers were there and what percentage of that number meets the requirements for "many"? In your opinion, does many equal single digits, double digits....

I hear this claim all the time. When I actually bother to ask what Judeo-Christian principles America was founded on, I get nothing but dead silence.

Birch Hollow
Lobbyist

Founded: Feb 14, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Birch Hollow » Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:56 am

My Advanced Placement Junior English teacher was racist and used the N word all the time. She was also drunk all day.
Don't take yourself so seriously, no one else does!

Northern Rangeria
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Dec 19, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Rangeria » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:00 am

Not actually a teacher, but a pro bono lecturer doing a course on Léann Dúchais, or Heritage Studies, when I spent a year abroad in Ireland. He insisted that the image of a dragon in Celtic mythology and others was because of some sort of genetic memory, passed on from the time of dinosaurs. Apparently the sight of dinosaurs was so awe-inducing that our rodent-like ancestors actually passed on the memory genetically, all the way down to mankind.

He was a little loopy, this lecturer...

Bafuria
Senator

Founded: Dec 07, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Bafuria » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:04 am

My history teacher told us that Alfred Nobel invented the atomic bomb.
Economic 3.1, Social -4.1

Tekania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 26, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Tekania » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:05 am

UnhealthyTruthseeker wrote:
You-Gi-Owe wrote:Your teacher was 50% right.

I hear this claim all the time. When I actually bother to ask what Judeo-Christian principles America was founded on, I get nothing but dead silence.

You know, things like not murdering other people, not lying, not stealing... Because clearly as one can tell from history people who identify themselves as "Christian" never engage in those sorts of activities... It should also be apparent from the fact that it is illegal to work on Sundays anywhere in the US, and baptism is mandatory for all citizens...
Such heroic nonsense!

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General