NATION

PASSWORD

Fidel Castro Dead at Age 90

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Dahon
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 11, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Dahon » Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:02 pm

Meh, the cheering Cubans in Florida disagree.

A significant number of them had parents and grandparents who at the very least were Batista supporters. I'm a democrat, but given the bullshit Batista fed every Cuban who wasn't in the take before Castro took power, I'm not surprised most people in Cuba things other than the trappings of a democracy much-abused between the Platt Amendment and Batista.
Authoritarianism kills all. Never forget that.

-5.5/-7.44

al-Ibramiyah (inactive; under research)
Moscareinas (inactive)
Trumpisslavia (inactive)
Dahon the Alternative (inactive; under research)
Our Heavenly Dwarf (Forum 7)

Kravanica
Senator

Founded: Aug 07, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Kravanica » Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:03 pm

Pope Joan wrote:Cuba is better without the criminal Battista crowd, just as Miami is the worse for receiving them.

Where is this meme coming from that Cubans in Miami are Batista supporters?
The Kravanican Realm (PMT)
I support Thermonuclear Warfare. Do you?
My nation does not represent my RL views

American and Jewish
Conservatarian with various "right-wing" leanings

Wisgothistan
Bureaucrat

Founded: Sep 25, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Wisgothistan » Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:04 pm

I mean, I'm a leftist so I kind of miss him, but on the other hand he was a communist despot. I do have to applaud 2016 for doing what the CIA could not (after 638 tries!)

Dahon
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Dahon » Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:07 pm

Kravanica wrote:
Pope Joan wrote:Cuba is better without the criminal Battista crowd, just as Miami is the worse for receiving them.

Parents, grandparents, kith and kin. Obviously getting reared in two different places under two wrestling ideologies would fuck history real fierce. So let's put it this way: just as Castro's Cuba wasn't all good, Batista's Cuba was way worse.

-5.5/-7.44

Moscareinas (inactive)
Trumpisslavia (inactive)

Pope Joan
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Pope Joan » Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:08 pm

Kravanica wrote:

So let's deport those criminals, just like Trump wants to do with Mexicans. http://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/Near ... 72542.html
"Life is difficult".

-M. Scott Peck

Jamzmania
Senator

Founded: Dec 01, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Jamzmania » Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:10 pm

Dahon wrote:
Kravanica wrote:Where is this meme coming from that Cubans in Miami are Batista supporters?

Parents, grandparents, kith and kin. Obviously getting reared in two different places under two wrestling ideologies would fuck history real fierce. So let's put it this way: just as Castro's Cuba wasn't all good, Batista's Cuba was way worse.

That's not an answer to the question, it's just an assumption that Cubans in Florida are Batista supporters or descendants of Batista supporters.

Many, if not most, of the Cubans in America, and Florida in specific, are refugees or descendants of refugees who fled persecution in Cuba under Castro's dictatorship.
The Alexanderians wrote:"Fear no man or woman,
No matter what their size.
Call upon me,
And I will equalize."

-Engraved on the side of my M1911 .45

United Capitalist America
Political Columnist

Founded: Nov 21, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby United Capitalist America » Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:13 pm

You know the illuminati Jewish bankers control the world when people actually mourn the "death" of the Jewish Cuban state

HMS Swiftsure
Attaché

Founded: Nov 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby HMS Swiftsure » Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:25 pm

Dead or not, I cannot bring myself to show sympathy for this man. Doing so would be quite dishonest and insincere of me.

Anyway, I do not care if Fidel Castro "saved his country" from the "Western imperialists". Regardless of what Fulgencio Batista did, nothing justifies fear-mongering as a basis for committing atrocities against the people. Two wrongs do not make a right, mate.
HMS SWIFTSURE (S126)
NationStates' resident Cold War era nuclear fleet attack submarine since 1973.
Founder of the Mighty Machines region.
Displacement: 4900 t
Length: 82.9 m
Speed: 20 knots
Crew: 116
Armament: 5 torpedo tubes
My identity is a submarine. Deal with it.

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ethel mermania » Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:31 pm

New Axiom wrote:
Jamzmania wrote:The guy was a brutal dictator, and all of this crap in the media about how he was a legendary warrior against evil needs to stop. His history should not be whitewashed.

Could've been worse.

Could have been raining.
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Dahon
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Dahon » Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:33 pm

The Intergalactic Russian Empire wrote:Man, not even Castro could survive 2016.

Better pack it in before Trump moves in and ends it all, yo.

-5.5/-7.44

Moscareinas (inactive)
Trumpisslavia (inactive)

Dahon
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Dahon » Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:34 pm

Ethel mermania wrote:
New Axiom wrote:
Could've been worse.

Could have been raining.

Could've sworn Batista was shit. Must be this year sweeping up for the age of Trump, the shortest age of all --

-5.5/-7.44

Moscareinas (inactive)
Trumpisslavia (inactive)

Uxupox
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 13, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Uxupox » Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:56 pm

Dahon wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:Could have been raining.

Could've sworn Batista was shit. Must be this year sweeping up for the age of Trump, the shortest age of all --

Batista was shit and Castro was shit. Both were horrible human beings.
Economic Left/Right: 0.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.00

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ethel mermania » Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:59 pm

Dahon wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:Could have been raining.

he was, but say what you will, his gambling tables were honest.
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Founded: Mar 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:36 pm

Uxupox wrote:
Dahon wrote:

^ This.

While Batista was an asshole, Castro, while giving Cuba back to Cubans, wasn't exactly an angel either.

He simply was more justified to outsiders after the U.S.'s 10th assassination attempt.
Soldati senza confini: Better than an iPod in shuffle more with 20,000 songs.
Tekania wrote:Welcome to NSG, where informed opinions get to bump-heads with ignorant ideology under the pretense of an equal footing.

"When it’s a choice of putting food on the table, or thinking about your morals, it’s easier to say you’d think about your morals, but only if you’ve never faced that decision." - Anastasia Richardson

Current Goal: Flesh out nation factbook.

Arumbia67
Diplomat

Founded: May 20, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Arumbia67 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:13 am

Why do so many on the left idolize him? He did some of the exact same things they're insisting Trump will. Rehab camps for LGBT people? Check. Forbidding freedom of expression/ speech? Check. Imprisoning people who criticize him? Major check.
When people say Bernie Sanders could win the presidency- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_n5E7feJHw0
"Patriotism means supporting your country all the time, and your Government when it deserves it"-Mark Twain

Arumbia67
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Arumbia67 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:14 am

Soldati Senza Confini wrote:
Uxupox wrote:

^ This.

While Batista was an asshole, Castro, while giving Cuba back to Cubans, wasn't exactly an angel either.

He simply was more justified to outsiders after the U.S.'s 10th assassination attempt.

I might be wrong, but I'm quite sure that under Batista it was legal to leave the country. And wouldn't lead to your family being tortured.
When people say Bernie Sanders could win the presidency- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_n5E7feJHw0
"Patriotism means supporting your country all the time, and your Government when it deserves it"-Mark Twain

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:53 am

HMS Swiftsure wrote:Dead or not, I cannot bring myself to show sympathy for this man. Doing so would be quite dishonest and insincere of me.

Anyway, I do not care if Fidel Castro "saved his country" from the "Western imperialists". Regardless of what Fulgencio Batista did, nothing justifies fear-mongering as a basis for committing atrocities against the people. Two wrongs do not make a right, mate.

Add a good helping of mental gymnastics and those two wrongs because 6 rights
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:55 am

Arumbia67 wrote:Why do so many on the left idolize him? He did some of the exact same things they're insisting Trump will. Rehab camps for LGBT people? Check. Forbidding freedom of expression/ speech? Check. Imprisoning people who criticize him? Major check.

He stood up to the USA, remember the US is always evil; he "helped" his people and he gave them "free stuff"; and he was a communist
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

The Game Grumps
Civilian

Founded: Nov 25, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby The Game Grumps » Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:58 am

Christmas isn't here and Santa already gave that dirty commie his present

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jun 21, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:03 am

United Capitalist America wrote:You know the illuminati Jewish bankers control the world when people actually mourn the "death" of the Jewish Cuban state

Take a *** One Week Ban *** for now while we discuss whether it's worth keeping you around at all.

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jun 21, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:05 am

The Game Grumps wrote:Christmas isn't here and Santa already gave that dirty commie his present

*** Warned For Trolling ***

Bhikkustan
Minister

Founded: Oct 12, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Bhikkustan » Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:17 am

Arumbia67 wrote:Why do so many on the left idolize him? He did some of the exact same things they're insisting Trump will. Rehab camps for LGBT people? Check. Forbidding freedom of expression/ speech? Check. Imprisoning people who criticize him? Major check.

On the lgbt thing he realised his mistake and tried to apologise. I don't really condone the other two, but he did it to protect from American backed terrorists.
Arumbia67 wrote:
Soldati Senza Confini wrote:
^ This.

I might be wrong, but I'm quite sure that under Batista it was legal to leave the country. And wouldn't lead to your family being tortured.

Also, it's legal to leave Cuba now...
Sunni Muslim ۞ Shafi'i Fiqh ۞ Ashari Aqidah ۞ Wasatiyyah
illegible nutrition enthousiast - nomadism or barbarism
Crimea is Russia Ukraine Tatar
~ Free East Turkistan and Palestine ~

Arumbia67
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Arumbia67 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:34 am

Bhikkustan wrote:

On the lgbt thing he realised his mistake and tried to apologise. I don't really condone the other two, but he did it to protect from American backed terrorists.
Arumbia67 wrote:I might be wrong, but I'm quite sure that under Batista it was legal to leave the country. And wouldn't lead to your family being tortured.

Also, it's legal to leave Cuba now...

So did George Wallace and Robert Byrd. But I doubt the average black person would want to hold hands with them and sing Kumbaya (if they were alive). Also yeah, they lifted the travel ban a while back. I'll admit when I'm wrong.

Kyrusia
Retired Moderator

Founded: Nov 12, 2007
Capitalizt

Postby Kyrusia » Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:45 am

Yumyumsuppertime wrote:
United Capitalist America wrote:You know the illuminati Jewish bankers control the world when people actually mourn the "death" of the Jewish Cuban state

Take a *** One Week Ban *** for now while we discuss whether it's worth keeping you around at all.

United Capitalist America: Considering the preponderance of your posts thus far appear to be trolling, let's upgrade that to a *** DEAT ***. I suggest you read the rules before you contribute further and, take note, honest-held beliefs do not excuse trolling.
Last edited by Kyrusia on Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
[KYRU]
old. roleplayer. the goat your parents warned you about.

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jun 14, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Ostroeuropa » Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:37 am

Only reason the media is even considering being nuanced about this is because Obama lifted the embargo and consequently they don't want to bolster Trumps popularity by talking about a murdering psycho and how Obama was buddies with his regime.

If the sanction were still in place, there would be much more negative tone and coverage of Castro.
Ostro.MOV

There is an out of control trolley speeding towards Jeremy Bentham, who is tied to the track. You can pull the lever to cause the trolley to switch tracks, but on the other track is Immanuel Kant. Bentham is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Critique of Pure Reason. Kant is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Principles of Moral Legislation. Both men are shouting at you that they have recently started to reconsider their ethical stances.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General