NATION

PASSWORD

Fidel Castro Dead at Age 90

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Seraven
Senator

Founded: Jun 10, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Seraven » Sat Nov 26, 2016 5:46 pm

Sanctissima wrote:
Bakery Hill wrote:This is a massive understatement. The US actively trained and financed right wing paramilitaries, death squads and military juntas across the continent, they brought down multiple elected governments and invaded multiple nations. You'd be hard pressed to find a dictator in Latin America the yanks didn't support.

Ah, Operation Condor, back when the CIA had its shit in order. Those were the days...

And now they don't?
Copper can change as its quality went down.
Gold can't change, for its quality never went down.
The Alma Mater wrote:
Seraven wrote:I know right! Whites enslaved the natives, they killed them, they converted them forcibly, they acted like a better human beings than the Muslims.

An excellent example of why allowing unrestricted immigration of people with a very different culture might not be the best idea ever :P

Seraven
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Seraven » Sat Nov 26, 2016 5:47 pm

Great Kauthar wrote:Time for regime change, the Cuban government won't survive without Castro. Bay of Pigs 2.0 hype...

Almost irrelevant right now. Communism is hardly a danger thing now. And Cuba is not really of a threat to USA.
The Alma Mater wrote:
Seraven wrote:I know right! Whites enslaved the natives, they killed them, they converted them forcibly, they acted like a better human beings than the Muslims.

An excellent example of why allowing unrestricted immigration of people with a very different culture might not be the best idea ever :P

The Great Devourer of All
Minister

Founded: Dec 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby The Great Devourer of All » Sat Nov 26, 2016 5:50 pm

>Conspiracy theorists start thinking he's dead
>Lives to 90 to fuck with them

A true thug, RIP.
Last edited by the Devourer 9.98 billion years ago

Pro: Jellyfish

Anti: Heretics

Yymea wrote:We would definitely be scared of what is probably the most scary nation on NS :p

Multiversal Venn-Copard wrote:Actually fairly threatening by our standards. And this time we really mean "threatening". As in, "we'll actually need to escalate significantly to match their fleets."

Valkalan wrote:10/10 Profoundly evil. Some nations conqueror others for wealth and prestige, but the Devourer consumes civilization like a cancer consuming an unfortunate host.

The Speaker wrote:Intemperate in the sea from the roof, and leg All night, and he knows lots of reads from the unseen good old man of the mountain-DESTRUCTION

Herargon
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 21, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Herargon » Sat Nov 26, 2016 5:57 pm

Baltenstein wrote:So passes the last historic leader of the Cold War era.

Has Venezuela accused US death ray machines of being responsible yet?

... You forgot Mikhail Gorbachev.
Pro: tolerance, individualism, technocratism, democratism, freedom, freedom of speech and moderate religious expression, the ban on hate speech, constitutional monarchism, the Rhine model
Against: intolerance, radicalism, strong discrimination, populism, fascism, nazism, communism, totalitarianism, authoritarianism, absolutarianism, fundamentalism, strong religious expression, strong nationalism, police states

If you like philosophy, then here you can see what your own philosophical alignements are.

Ifreann wrote:That would certainly save the local regiment of American troops the trouble of plugging your head in ye olde shittere.
How scifi alliances actually work.

Organized States
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 26, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Organized States » Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:19 pm

Herargon wrote:

and H.W.
Thank God for OS!- Deian
"In the old days, the navigators used magic to make themselves strong, but now, nothing; they just pray. Before they leave and at sea, they pray. But I, I make myself strong by thinking—just by thinking! I make myself strong because I despise cowardice. Too many men are afraid of the sea. But I am a navigator."-Mau Piailug
"I regret that I have only one life to give to my island." -Ricardo Bordallo, 2nd Governor of Guam
"Both are voyages of exploration. Hōkūle‘a is in the past, Columbia is in the future." -Colonel Charles L. Veach, USAF, Astronaut and Navigation Enthusiast

Pacific Islander-American (proud member of the 0.5%), Officer to be

Herargon
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Herargon » Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:22 pm

Organized States wrote:
Herargon wrote:

and H.W.

... H.W. who? The Bush?
Pro: tolerance, individualism, technocratism, democratism, freedom, freedom of speech and moderate religious expression, the ban on hate speech, constitutional monarchism, the Rhine model
Against: intolerance, radicalism, strong discrimination, populism, fascism, nazism, communism, totalitarianism, authoritarianism, absolutarianism, fundamentalism, strong religious expression, strong nationalism, police states

If you like philosophy, then here you can see what your own philosophical alignements are.

Ifreann wrote:That would certainly save the local regiment of American troops the trouble of plugging your head in ye olde shittere.

The Jahistic Unified Republic
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 28, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Jahistic Unified Republic » Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:23 pm

Herargon wrote:

The last successful revolutionary leader is still an accomplishment.

Unless I'm missing someone.

<Koyro> (Democratic Koyro) NSG senate is a glaring example of why no one in NSG should ever have a position of authority
The Emerald Dawn wrote:"Considering Officer Krupke was patently idiotic to charge these young men in the first place, we're dropping the charges in the interest of not wasting any more of the Judiciary's time with farcical charges brought by officers who require more training on basic legal principles."

Baseball is Best Sport. Life long StL Fan.

Seraven
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Seraven » Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:24 pm

The Jahistic Unified Republic wrote:
Herargon wrote:

The last successful revolutionary leader is still an accomplishment.

Unless I'm missing someone.

Depends on who you ask. Gorbachev is either a revolutionary, or a traitor.

I don't know which one I should side for.
The Alma Mater wrote:

Organized States
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 26, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Organized States » Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:25 pm

Herargon wrote:
Organized States wrote:and H.W.

... H.W. who? The Bush?

Yep.
Thank God for OS!- Deian
"In the old days, the navigators used magic to make themselves strong, but now, nothing; they just pray. Before they leave and at sea, they pray. But I, I make myself strong by thinking—just by thinking! I make myself strong because I despise cowardice. Too many men are afraid of the sea. But I am a navigator."-Mau Piailug
"I regret that I have only one life to give to my island." -Ricardo Bordallo, 2nd Governor of Guam
"Both are voyages of exploration. Hōkūle‘a is in the past, Columbia is in the future." -Colonel Charles L. Veach, USAF, Astronaut and Navigation Enthusiast

Pacific Islander-American (proud member of the 0.5%), Officer to be

Herargon
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Herargon » Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:32 pm

Organized States wrote:
Herargon wrote:
... H.W. who? The Bush?

Yep.

Fair enough then.

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:50 pm

Seraven wrote:
Great Kauthar wrote:Time for regime change, the Cuban government won't survive without Castro. Bay of Pigs 2.0 hype...

Almost irrelevant right now. Communism is hardly a danger thing now. And Cuba is not really of a threat to USA.

They just need to return the stuff they stole from Americans and we can start trading with them again.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:51 pm

Castro did what the CIA never could.
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

Greater Orensta
Minister

Founded: Jul 28, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater Orensta » Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:54 pm

he was old enough to be classified as a mineral, all i have to say.
R.I.P
~Kurt, Layne, Scott, Chris~

Kergstan
Diplomat

Founded: May 09, 2014
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kergstan » Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:10 pm

He was a great man and icon of the hope of lower classes worldwide.
His constant fight against american imperialism to defend the dignity and sovereignty of that little Island 200 kms from the pigs, how can someone not admire him?

You can say everything about him but he's not making people die because of lack of money for medecines or from hunger, he is giving work to everyone, good quality education, participative politics just to tell something that USA lags behind them terribly.

Cetacea
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 27, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Cetacea » Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:13 pm

greed and death wrote:
Seraven wrote:

They just need to return the stuff they stole from Americans and we can start trading with them again.

I thought that had already been done, the US just needs to give the Guantanamo resort back and also address its terrible human rights record. As Castro said about the USA “We find it inconceivable that a government does not defend and secure the right to healthcare, equal pay and the rights of children. We oppose political double standards in the approach to human rights.”

MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Dec 05, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:14 pm

Conserative Morality wrote:Castro did what the CIA never could.

Keep control of Cuba. :p

Nazeroth
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 16, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Nazeroth » Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:37 pm

Kergstan wrote:He was a great man and icon of the hope of lower classes worldwide.
His constant fight against american imperialism to defend the dignity and sovereignty of that little Island 200 kms from the pigs, how can someone not admire him?

You can say everything about him but he's not making people die because of lack of money for medecines or from hunger, he is giving work to everyone, good quality education, participative politics just to tell something that USA lags behind them terribly.

So you can be a ruthless dictator as long as it's "anti-American Imperialism TM"

Yes, he was a terrible leader whom kept his people in a time capsule for his tyranny. Teaching people to read and write dosn't excuse brutally slaughtering those who stand against you and causing your population to flee in terror to America.
Comically Evil Member of the Anti-Democracy League
Government: Tyrannical Feudal Despotism
"Crush your enemies, see them driven before you..."
"The meek will inherit nothing..."
"Behold and despair fools"
"We will sail to a billion worlds...we will sail until every light has been extinguished"

Dahon
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 11, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Dahon » Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:43 pm

Conserative Morality wrote:Castro did what the CIA never could.

"Self-termination, suckers!"
Authoritarianism kills all. Never forget that.

-5.5/-7.44

al-Ibramiyah (inactive; under research)
Moscareinas (inactive)
Trumpisslavia (inactive)
Dahon the Alternative (inactive; under research)
Our Heavenly Dwarf (Forum 7)

Jamzmania
Senator

Founded: Dec 01, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Jamzmania » Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:50 pm

Kergstan wrote:He was a great man and icon of the hope of lower classes worldwide.

Even if all of what you say is true (which I doubt), at least in the USA political opponents are not silenced by firing squad.
The Alexanderians wrote:"Fear no man or woman,
No matter what their size.
Call upon me,
And I will equalize."

-Engraved on the side of my M1911 .45

Dahon
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 11, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Dahon » Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:51 pm

Nazeroth wrote:

So you can be a ruthless dictator as long as it's "anti-American Imperialism TM"

Yes, he was a terrible leader whom kept his people in a time capsule for his tyranny. Teaching people to read and write dosn't excuse brutally slaughtering those who stand against you and causing your population to flee in terror to America.

Teaching people that their skin color is a fucking irrelevance -- teaching people that their health is precious -- teaching people how to read and write -- yes, those are valuable things.

Now for someone who doesn't dick them over for sport or in the service of an outmoded ideology. They've gotten far too many of those over the past hundred and more years since they gave Weyler and the Spaniards the boot, as a citizen of a former colony I can only say good luck to them.

Whatever good luck means in the age of Trump, that is.
Authoritarianism kills all. Never forget that.

-5.5/-7.44

al-Ibramiyah (inactive; under research)
Moscareinas (inactive)
Trumpisslavia (inactive)
Dahon the Alternative (inactive; under research)
Our Heavenly Dwarf (Forum 7)

The Princes of the Universe
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby The Princes of the Universe » Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:52 pm

My condolences to his family. That's all I'm going to say on the matter.
Pro dolorosa Eius passione, miserere nobis et totius mundi.

In nomine Patris et Filii et Spiritus Sancti.
Domine Iesu Christe, Fili Dei, miserere mei, peccatoris.

Nazeroth
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 16, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Nazeroth » Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:52 pm

Dahon wrote:
Nazeroth wrote:

Teaching people that their skin color is a fucking irrelevance -- teaching people that their health is precious -- teaching people how to read and write -- yes, those are valuable things.

Now for someone who doesn't dick them over for sport or in the service of an outmoded ideology. They've gotten far too many of those over the past hundred and more years since they gave Weyler and the Spaniards the boot, as a citizen of a former colony I can only say good luck to them.

Whatever good luck means in the age of Trump, that is.

Meh, the cheering Cubans in Florida disagree.
Comically Evil Member of the Anti-Democracy League
Government: Tyrannical Feudal Despotism
"Crush your enemies, see them driven before you..."
"The meek will inherit nothing..."
"Behold and despair fools"
"We will sail to a billion worlds...we will sail until every light has been extinguished"

Pope Joan
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Pope Joan » Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:53 pm

Cuba is better without the criminal Battista crowd, just as Miami is the worse for receiving them.
"Life is difficult".

-M. Scott Peck

Pope Joan
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Pope Joan » Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:54 pm

Jamzmania wrote:

Even if all of what you say is true (which I doubt), at least in the USA political opponents are not silenced by firing squad.

I guess we settle for water cannon and tear gas? How admirable.
"Life is difficult".

-M. Scott Peck

Jamzmania
Senator

Founded: Dec 01, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Jamzmania » Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:00 pm

Pope Joan wrote:
Jamzmania wrote:Even if all of what you say is true (which I doubt), at least in the USA political opponents are not silenced by firing squad.

I guess we settle for water cannon and tear gas? How admirable.

Despite your ridiculous implication, I shall simply repeat: at least in the USA political opponents are not silenced by firing squad.
The Alexanderians wrote:"Fear no man or woman,
No matter what their size.
Call upon me,
And I will equalize."

-Engraved on the side of my M1911 .45

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General