NATION

PASSWORD

UK Politics Thread 18-inch Mark VI: Witty Title Forthcoming

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Hydesland
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 28, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Hydesland » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:15 pm

HMS Queen Elizabeth wrote:
Hydesland wrote:
I thought you were saying no party was offering "true" right wing foreign policy any more, now you're saying it's what Obama did? Make your mind up please.

Obama's policy is to let them all kill each other, not let the unimportant ones kill each other while taking the oil. Obama's policy isn't pro-American, it's just a repudiation of his predecessor's policy. Still, no one cares how many Iraqi babies it murdered - or at the very least no one blames their death on Obama.

Okay now I'm getting confused. When you say "let them kill each other", let who kill who? It sounded like the policy you were proposing was to deliberately invade a country, take their oil, "cut off" (blockade? ignore? what?) non oil producing regions, and deliberately have these regions collapse into some horrible civil war where everyone kills each other and not give a shit. Is that what you're talking about?

Major-Tom
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 09, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Major-Tom » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:16 pm

Setgavarius
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 21, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Setgavarius » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:21 pm

Major-Tom wrote:http://www.electograph.com/2017/02/united-kingdom-great-britain-february.html

44% for Tories.

UKIP got slightly bigger too. I assume this means the tories get 500 seats in 2020?
The Planetary Administration of Setgavarius,
The World of Snark

Core Colony of The United Colonies of Earth.

HMS Queen Elizabeth
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 06, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby HMS Queen Elizabeth » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:22 pm

Hydesland wrote:
HMS Queen Elizabeth wrote:Obama's policy is to let them all kill each other, not let the unimportant ones kill each other while taking the oil. Obama's policy isn't pro-American, it's just a repudiation of his predecessor's policy. Still, no one cares how many Iraqi babies it murdered - or at the very least no one blames their death on Obama.

Okay now I'm getting confused. When you say "let them kill each other", let who kill who? It sounded like the policy you were proposing was to deliberately invade a country, take their oil, "cut off" (blockade? ignore? what?) non oil producing regions, and deliberately have these regions collapse into some horrible civil war where everyone kills each other and not give a shit. Is that what you're talking about?

I mean just take no interest and let it happen.

Maybe it wouldn't happen. Great. But you'll note it's happening now.
Crown the King with Might!
Let the King be strong,
Hating guile and wrong,
He that scorneth pride.
Fearing truth and right,
Feareth nought beside;

Hydesland
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Hydesland » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:24 pm

Hydesland wrote:

I mean just take no interest and let it happen.

But it's one thing to happen, and another to have it happen deliberately and not care - it's possible Obama did not care and let it happen deliberately, but that would be a conspiracy theory.

HMS Queen Elizabeth
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby HMS Queen Elizabeth » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:27 pm

Hydesland wrote:
HMS Queen Elizabeth wrote:I mean just take no interest and let it happen.

But it's one thing to happen, and another to have it happen deliberately and not care - it's possible Obama did not care and let it happen deliberately, but that would be a conspiracy theory.

Obama deliberately let it happen and doesn't seem to care, and certainly no one who cares blames Obama for it.
Let the King be strong,
Hating guile and wrong,
He that scorneth pride.
Fearing truth and right,
Feareth nought beside;

Hydesland
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Hydesland » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:32 pm

Hydesland wrote:

Obama deliberately let it happen and doesn't seem to care, and certainly no one who cares blames Obama for it.

Funny how you assume a conspiracy for Obama, but meanwhile Bush and republicans were completely sincere in claiming it was a humanitarian mission. Credulity stretching to the max right now. :roll:

HMS Queen Elizabeth
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby HMS Queen Elizabeth » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:36 pm

Hydesland wrote:
HMS Queen Elizabeth wrote:Obama deliberately let it happen and doesn't seem to care, and certainly no one who cares blames Obama for it.

Funny how you assume a conspiracy for Obama, but meanwhile Bush and republicans were completely sincere in claiming it was a humanitarian mission. Credulity stretching to the max right now. :roll:

What conspiracy? I've not disputed Bush caused massive damage; I've disputed that he was trying to steal oil mostly on grounds of absolutely zero evidence that any oil was stolen. I'm sure Obama also thought what he was doing is right.
Let the King be strong,
Hating guile and wrong,
He that scorneth pride.
Fearing truth and right,
Feareth nought beside;

Elmstead
Spokesperson

Founded: Feb 04, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Elmstead » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:40 pm

Setgavarius wrote:
Major-Tom wrote:http://www.electograph.com/2017/02/united-kingdom-great-britain-february.html

44% for Tories.

UKIP got slightly bigger too. I assume this means the tories get 500 seats in 2020?

I actually ran those numbers through a simulator earlier, and here are the figures we get using the 2018 boundaries.

CON: 367 (+47) - Majority of 134
LAB: 159 (-43)
UKIP: 0 (-1)
LD: 5 (+0)
GRN: 0 (+0)
SNP: 51 (-1)
PC: 1 (-2)
OTH: 17 (+0)
Kingdom of Elmstead

Population: 32 Million
Monarch: Edward VI
Prime Minister: Thomas Harper
Total Military Size: 92,000

Info On Me: I'm a Conservative Party supporting Briton, who is a self-declared Thatcherite and social conservative who is pro-Brexit and pro-Trump.

Hydesland
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Hydesland » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:41 pm

Hydesland wrote:

What conspiracy?

That Obama could foresee the rise of ISIS, and let it happen because he didn't care. It's much more likely that things like this are impossibly hard to predict, and Obama did not foresee such a thing.

HMS Queen Elizabeth
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby HMS Queen Elizabeth » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:43 pm

Hydesland wrote:
HMS Queen Elizabeth wrote:What conspiracy?

That Obama could foresee the rise of ISIS, and let it happen because he didn't care. It's much more likely that things like this are impossibly hard to predict, and Obama did not foresee such a thing.

I could certainly bloody well post-see it. Still did nothing.
Let the King be strong,
Hating guile and wrong,
He that scorneth pride.
Fearing truth and right,
Feareth nought beside;

Souseiseki
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 12, 2012
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Souseiseki » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:44 pm

Hydesland wrote:

it's likely that he knew such a thing was likely to happen, in part because it was already well on its way to happening, but his hands were tied politically, diplomatically and practically as to how much he could really do to stop it. the big fuck ups (with the forseeable consequence of ethnic violence and a new paramilitary force formed of discontent baathists) had already been done in a decisively non-defuckable way.
Last edited by Souseiseki on Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ask moderation about reading serious moderation candidates TGs without telling them about it until afterwards and/or apparently refusing to confirm/deny the exact timeline of TG reading ~~~ i hope you never sent any of the recent mods or the ones that got really close anything personal!

signature edit: confirmation has been received. they will explicitly do it before and without asking. they can look at TGs basically whenever they want so please keep this in mind when nominating people for moderator or TGing good posters/anyone!
T <---- THE INFAMOUS T

HMS Queen Elizabeth
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby HMS Queen Elizabeth » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:44 pm

Anyway what's foresight got to do with it. I never said Bush foresaw the Iraq disaster. I said he sleepwalked into it because of his naive leftist ideology. Maybe Obama did too.
Let the King be strong,
Hating guile and wrong,
He that scorneth pride.
Fearing truth and right,
Feareth nought beside;

Mostrov
Minister

Founded: Aug 06, 2009
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Mostrov » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:47 pm

Hydesland wrote:

In fairness, this is exactly what he did in pulling out of Iraq and in his and the foreign departments support of the Arab Spring. The Taliban in Afghanistan and Libya; both of these are places where his policy has had the benefit of hindsight and yet has created a tremendous mess, the latter creating another province for Islamic State.
Last edited by Mostrov on Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Dooom35796821595
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 11, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby Dooom35796821595 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:49 pm

Hydesland wrote:

It's not that hard to predict, just look at history. America supports and trains the mujahideen, which the nation become the Taliban and Al-Qaeda. The lesson? Stop messing around in the Middle East, either do it properly through to the end, or GTFO.
When life gives you lemons, you BURN THEIR HOUSE DOWN!
Anything can be justified if it is cool. If at first you don't succeed, destroy all in your way.
"Your methods are stupid! Your progress has been stupid! Your intelligence is stupid! For the sake of the mission, you must be terminated!”

Hydesland
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Hydesland » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:04 pm

Everyone acting so smug with hindsight - at the time I honestly only recall republicans and foreign policy hawks warning about AQ in Iraq (as it was known then), but even then almost certainly only for partisan reasons - meanwhile everyone else was raging at Obama, begging him to bring the troops home, and angered he hadn't done so earlier.
Last edited by Hydesland on Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tananat
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 02, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Tananat » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:12 pm

Mostrov wrote:
Hydesland wrote:

In fairness, this is exactly what he did in pulling out of Iraq and in his milquetoast support of the Arab Spring. The Taliban in Afghanistan are another side of the same coin, as is the mess in Libya; the latter especially was something he engineered and did nothing to fix and has led to another province for Islamic State.

He was bound by an agreement Bush signed with the Iraqis to withdraw by the end of 2011. The Americans left on 18th December of that year.

Napkiraly
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Napkiraly » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:14 pm

Hydesland wrote:Everyone acting so smug with hindsight - at the time I honestly only recall republicans and foreign policy hawks warning about AQ in Iraq (as it was known then), but even then almost certainly only for partisan reasons - meanwhile everyone else was raging at Obama, begging him to bring the troops home, and angered he hadn't done so earlier.

And many of those on the right said that bringing them home prematurely would lead to disaster by creating a giant power vacuum. Same warnings being given about Afghanistan.

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:52 pm

Maaaaybe it's time to segue this stuff about whether US foreign policy precipitated the rise of ISIS into its own thread.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Hydesland
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Hydesland » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:53 pm

TBH it's a fairly slow news day UK wise.

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:56 pm

Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

The One True Benxboro Empire
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 15, 2016
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The One True Benxboro Empire » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:59 pm

This is the root of my contempt. Their language policing, of course. The shoe has only switched feet and it's on the authoritarian steamroller now.
DÉHIR ÚD GĂMATT VYRÊTT BÉNXBÒRRÔ (The One True Benxboro Empie)
DÉHIR BÉNX SĒR GAHADÁG BȲL!
(The Benx is with us!)

The peak of sexism, homophobia, transphobia, speciesism, authoritarianism, theocracy, imperial cults and religious fervor. All under the One True Emperor and the Supreme Inquisitor. Donut paradise and
Democratic East-Asia wrote:"Probably the worst place ever."

Skyhooked wrote:They are Owrellian already. Only thing, instead of screens there are preachers.

Karamiko wrote:They don't actually believe the things they say or do, they're just doing it to show how terrible theocracies are.

Trans woman with liberal characteristics
She/her

Napkiraly
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Napkiraly » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:02 pm

Daily reminder: Both sides are totally fine with language policing so long as it is not the other side doing it.

The One True Benxboro Empire
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 15, 2016
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The One True Benxboro Empire » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:03 pm

Napkiraly wrote:Daily reminder: Both sides are totally fine with language policing so long as it is not the other side doing it.

*looks up from Hypocrite '88*
That we are.
*returns to drinking*
DÉHIR ÚD GĂMATT VYRÊTT BÉNXBÒRRÔ (The One True Benxboro Empie)
DÉHIR BÉNX SĒR GAHADÁG BȲL!
(The Benx is with us!)

The peak of sexism, homophobia, transphobia, speciesism, authoritarianism, theocracy, imperial cults and religious fervor. All under the One True Emperor and the Supreme Inquisitor. Donut paradise and
Democratic East-Asia wrote:"Probably the worst place ever."

Skyhooked wrote:They are Owrellian already. Only thing, instead of screens there are preachers.

Karamiko wrote:They don't actually believe the things they say or do, they're just doing it to show how terrible theocracies are.

Trans woman with liberal characteristics
She/her

Elmstead
Spokesperson

Founded: Feb 04, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Elmstead » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:07 pm

Hydesland wrote:TBH it's a fairly slow news day UK wise.

It's been quite a busy day, really.

*We had the latest opinion poll published that would give the Tories a landslide majority of 134 in a general election.
*The Brexit bill is in the Lords and big-hitters such as Lord Hague, Lord Lawson and Lord Mandelson have all spoken - not to mention the PM took the highly unusual move of sitting in the House of Lords for the beginning of the debate.
*Latest NHS finance figures show their deficit is far more than hoped.
*MPs debating two petitions regarding Trump's state visit (one against, one for)
*Northern Ireland election campaign getting more lively.
Kingdom of Elmstead

Population: 32 Million
Monarch: Edward VI
Prime Minister: Thomas Harper
Total Military Size: 92,000

Info On Me: I'm a Conservative Party supporting Briton, who is a self-declared Thatcherite and social conservative who is pro-Brexit and pro-Trump.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General