NATION

PASSWORD

Apparently You Can Apply Gender to Daily Commutes...

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Costa Fierro
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Apparently You Can Apply Gender to Daily Commutes...

Postby Costa Fierro » Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:29 am

...with less than fantastic results:

Stockholm’s ’gender-equal’ snow-clearing policy is not to blame for the traffic chaos which has engulfed the Swedish capital, the architect of the policy has claimed.

“Gender equal snow-cleaning is not to blame here,” Daniel Helldén, the city’s Green Party transport head told the Expressen newspaper, stressing that the policy, which prioritises cleaning pavements and cycle lanes over roads, did not even appear to have even been followed.

“There is a lack of gender equal snow-clearing now, according to the reports I’m getting,” he said. “It’s still difficult to walk on the pavements — and it is important that snow-clearing prioritises walkways, public transport and cycle paths.”

Stockholm’s municipal government, a coalition of the Social Democrats and the Green Party, brought in gender equal snow cleaning last year, pledging to make moving around the city on icy winter days just as safe for women as it is for men.

Men are statistically more likely to be drivers, while women are more likely to use pavements, cycle paths, and public transport.

But on Thursday and Friday, the policy came under renewed criticism after the city was thrown into chaos by the unusually heavy snow dump, with buses and trains cancelled, and major motorways blocked.

Why the actual fuck does this even exist in the first place. Are women just as threatened by walking down the street and accidentally falling over as men are in traffic accidents? Like seriously, prioritizing footpaths and bicycle lanes over roads (say goodbye to fast emergency service responses) is probably the dumbest thing I have seen committed in the name of gender equality.

So, NSG. Should the fucknuggets that implemented this policy be tarred and feathered? Or should women be free to stride down the snowy streets of Stockholm in stilettos whilst paramedics struggle to make it to a dying patient in snow-clogged streets?
"Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist." - George Carlin

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:33 am

Are we sure that this isn't the Onion?
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Herskerstad
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Herskerstad » Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:35 am

Thermodolia wrote:Are we sure that this isn't the Onion?

Sweden kind of is a civic version of the Onion.
Although the stars do not speak, even in being silent they cry out. - John Calvin

Minzerland II
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 27, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Minzerland II » Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:35 am

Wtf is 'gender equal snow-clearing'?
Previous Profile: Minzerland
Donkey Advocate & Herald of Donkeydom
St Anselm of Canterbury wrote:[…]who ever heard of anything having two mothers or two fathers? (Monologion, pg. 63)

Aethrys
Minister

Founded: Apr 14, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Aethrys » Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:36 am

At first assumed the policy was like "Male and Female residents are equally responsible for shoveling out space in front of their property".

Sounds like Stockholm needs to end this snowbound syndrome and break out the flame throwers.
"Concentration of power in a political machine is bad; and an Established Church is only a political machine; it was invented for that; it is nursed, cradled, preserved for that; it is an enemy to human liberty, and does no good which it could not better do in a split-up and scattered condition." - Mark Twain

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby USS Monitor » Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:36 am

People in Massachusetts just walk in the road if the sidewalk is impassable. Common fucking sense, people. This isn't a gender issue.

I guess they could let people drive on the sidewalk if they're going to clear that first?
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Route Fourteen
Secretary

Founded: Oct 28, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Route Fourteen » Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:36 am

At this point I'm convinced that Sweden is a controlled experiment.
"We will kill in ourselves a world in order to build another, a higher one reaching to the heavens."
- Corneliu Zelea Codreanu

South Nile Republic
Civil Servant

Founded: Nov 14, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby South Nile Republic » Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:37 am

every thing is because of gender... although gender isn't real... except for when you feel it is... And thus the snow itself is being sexist. Problem solved.

Bogdanov Vishniac
Minister

Founded: May 01, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Bogdanov Vishniac » Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:37 am

I really tried very hard to give a shit about this, but I just can't. Looks like just a usual snowstorm ploughing fuckup that got international attention because it has the word gender in the story as a hook for internet anti-sjw warriors.
Last edited by Bogdanov Vishniac on Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Natapoc
Post Marshal

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Natapoc » Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:38 am

Sounds like a good policy to me. As the official in your op clearly stated, this policy did not cause the snow problems.
Last edited by Natapoc on Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Did you see a ghost?

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

Founded: Oct 01, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:39 am

Natapoc wrote:Sounds like a good policy to me. As the official in your op clearly stated, this policy did cause the snow problems.

I assume you meant to include a not in there. As to the policy, while I understand public transport I am not so sure I understand the others being prioritized. I mean, I would think ensuring emergency vehicles can get around quickly would be the highest priority.
Last edited by Neutraligon on Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you want to call me by a nickname, call me Gon...or NS Batman.
Mod stuff: One Stop Rules Shop | Reppy's Sig Workshop | Getting Help Request
Just A Little though

ChicagoBoys
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 28, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby ChicagoBoys » Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:40 am

Ridiculous. Buy a shovel and clean your own footpath. Why should a government employed MAN have to clean it for you? It's sickening how sexist Sweden is.

Costa Fierro
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Fierro » Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:40 am

Natapoc wrote:Sounds like a good policy to me. As the official in your op clearly stated, this policy did cause the snow problems.

So, you're saying it's a good policy because it gridlocked an entire city?
"Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist." - George Carlin

Zaurell
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 02, 2015
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Zaurell » Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:41 am

This shouldn't be about gender at all. Roads are by far a higher priority than sidewalks. One can trudge through the snow on foot but driving through it, not so much. Furthermore, I have to wonder how much time was wasted digging up statistics and putting this foolish policy into place just so that the people running Stockholm can feel like they've made a difference despite that difference being for the worse. Furthermore, to my knowledge, there is no law in Sweden preventing women from driving or riding in a car. Therefore, women would also be inconvenienced by this nonsense.
Mostly retired from NS. Telegram me if you like but response time may be extremely slow

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:41 am

Herskerstad wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:Are we sure that this isn't the Onion?

Sweden kind of is a civic version of the Onion.

Sweden we're a real life Onion!
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

HMS Swiftsure
Attaché

Founded: Nov 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby HMS Swiftsure » Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:41 am

In the future, sidewalks should have tiles with heating elements underneath them. This way we could simply melt off any snow before it has the chance to harden into ice.
Last edited by HMS Swiftsure on Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
HMS SWIFTSURE (S126)
NationStates' resident Cold War era nuclear fleet attack submarine since 1973.
Founder of the Mighty Machines region.
Displacement: 4900 t
Length: 82.9 m
Speed: 20 knots
Crew: 116
Armament: 5 torpedo tubes
My identity is a submarine. Deal with it.

Lautrec-
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Sep 01, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Lautrec- » Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:42 am

But gender doesn't exist

Jesus, Sweden is such a backwards nation
Greek, social democrat, atheist.

Political compass

Economic Left/Right: -1.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.85

General description: In short, it's a human, FTL, space-faring civilization. Think of Halo's UNSC
RP population: About 500 million, spread throughout many space colonies. Some have more, some less
Civilization index: http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic ... #p29724780

Hey Dark Souls players. Want to extinguish a bonfire? Get rid of a troublesome firekeeper? Don't hesitate to make the call. Me and my squad will take care of it in no time at the low price of a firekeeper soul.

Bogdanov Vishniac
Minister

Founded: May 01, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Bogdanov Vishniac » Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:42 am

Costa Fierro wrote:

So, you're saying it's a good policy because it gridlocked an entire city?

Point out where it was proven this policy was the reason for the gridlock and not the unusually heavy snow in the first place.

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:42 am

South Nile Republic wrote:every thing is because of gender... although gender isn't real... except for when you feel it is... And thus the snow itself is being sexist. Problem solved.

But the snow is still there
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

Founded: Oct 01, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:42 am

HMS Swiftsure wrote:In the future, sidewalks should have tiles with heating elements underneath them. This way we could simply melt off any ice or snow.

That would be incredibly expensive in terms of the cost of power to do so.
If you want to call me by a nickname, call me Gon...or NS Batman.
Mod stuff: One Stop Rules Shop | Reppy's Sig Workshop | Getting Help Request
Just A Little though

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:43 am

ChicagoBoys wrote:Ridiculous. Buy a shovel and clean your own footpath. Why should a government employed MAN have to clean it for you? It's sickening how sexist Sweden is.

Sidewalks in a downtown center are usually the governments responsibility.
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:44 am

Neutraligon wrote:
HMS Swiftsure wrote:In the future, sidewalks should have tiles with heating elements underneath them. This way we could simply melt off any ice or snow.

We'll just get the power from the side walk solar panels
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

HMS Swiftsure
Attaché

Founded: Nov 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby HMS Swiftsure » Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:45 am

Neutraligon wrote:

It would only need to raise the temperature above 0°C (freezing point of water). It's not like we want to boil the snow off. And yes, we can have sidewalks made of glass with photovoltaic cells and heating elements underneath. The sun would provide the electricity to melt the snow.
Last edited by HMS Swiftsure on Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
HMS SWIFTSURE (S126)
NationStates' resident Cold War era nuclear fleet attack submarine since 1973.
Founder of the Mighty Machines region.
Displacement: 4900 t
Length: 82.9 m
Speed: 20 knots
Crew: 116
Armament: 5 torpedo tubes
My identity is a submarine. Deal with it.

South Nile Republic
Civil Servant

Founded: Nov 14, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby South Nile Republic » Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:45 am

Thermodolia wrote:
South Nile Republic wrote:every thing is because of gender... although gender isn't real... except for when you feel it is... And thus the snow itself is being sexist. Problem solved.

But the snow is still there

Sssshhhh.... your making this too complicated.

FelrikTheDeleted
Powerbroker

Founded: Aug 27, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby FelrikTheDeleted » Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:45 am

Correct me if I'm wrong. Aren't roads supposed to take priority?
Last edited by FelrikTheDeleted on Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General