NATION

PASSWORD

Meanwhile, in South Korea...

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Arumdaum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 21, 2009
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Arumdaum » Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:56 pm

Quokkastan wrote:
Daburuetchi wrote:If for one welcome Korean Rasputin...

Rasp-unni?

god i hate romanization of korean lol
LITERALLY UNLIKE ANY OTHER RP REGION & DON'T REPORT THIS SIG
█████████████████▌TIANDI ____________██____██
_______███▌MAP _______________██_____██_████████
█████████████████▌WIKI _______██______██___██____██
_______████ DISCORD ________██████___██____██______█

____████__████ SIGNUP _________██___████___██____
__████_______████_____________██______██__________██
████____________████_______█████████___███████████

Danceria
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 13, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Danceria » Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:56 pm

Am the spooks
One true Patron Saint of Sinners and Satire
It is my sole purpose in life to offend you and get you to think about your convictions due to this
“You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.” - Sir Winston Churchill, Prime Minister of Great Britain.
Obligatory Quotes below
“Love looks not with the eyes, but with the mind; and therefore is winged Cupid painted blind.” - William Shakespeare.

“Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.” - Mark Twain

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock.” - Thomas Jefferson

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress, and grows brave by reflection.” - Thomas Paine
-{(~CO-FOUNDER OF NS AXIS POWERS~)}-

Quokkastan
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 21, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Quokkastan » Sat Nov 12, 2016 1:00 pm

Arumdaum wrote:
Quokkastan wrote:Rasp-unni?

god i hate romanization of korean lol

I'd have done it in Hangul if I'd thought anyone could read it.

Or had a Hangul keyboard.

Or knowledge of how to write Hangul.
Give us this day our daily thread.
And forgive us our flames, as we forgive those who flame against us.
And lead us not into trolling, but deliver us from spambots.
For thine is the website, and the novels, and the glory. Forever and ever.
In Violent's name we pray. Submit.

Danceria
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 13, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Danceria » Sat Nov 12, 2016 1:02 pm

Quokkastan wrote:
Arumdaum wrote:god i hate romanization of korean lol

According to Google: It's 라스푸틴 or laseuputin.
One true Patron Saint of Sinners and Satire
It is my sole purpose in life to offend you and get you to think about your convictions due to this
“You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.” - Sir Winston Churchill, Prime Minister of Great Britain.
Obligatory Quotes below
“Love looks not with the eyes, but with the mind; and therefore is winged Cupid painted blind.” - William Shakespeare.

“Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.” - Mark Twain

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock.” - Thomas Jefferson

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress, and grows brave by reflection.” - Thomas Paine
-{(~CO-FOUNDER OF NS AXIS POWERS~)}-

Arumdaum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Arumdaum » Sat Nov 12, 2016 1:04 pm

Quokkastan wrote:

No, it's just that spelling is so unstandardized when you romanize Korean lol

the u in unni is more the "uh" in "up" rather than the "oo" sound in Rasputin

Quokkastan
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Quokkastan » Sat Nov 12, 2016 1:05 pm

Danceria wrote:
Quokkastan wrote:I'd have done it in Hangul if I'd thought anyone could read it.

Yes but that ignores my clever (by a certain definition of "clever") use of Korean honorifics.

This is already fairly off-topic. Let's not digress further.

Shaman. Now, when they say "Shaman" what are they talking about here? Is she a Tengriist or something?
Last edited by Quokkastan on Sat Nov 12, 2016 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Arumdaum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Arumdaum » Sat Nov 12, 2016 1:07 pm

Danceria wrote:
Quokkastan wrote:I'd have done it in Hangul if I'd thought anyone could read it.

no it's raseuputin

ㄹ is only L when it's on the bottom or follows a ㄹ on the bottom

Arumdaum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Arumdaum » Sat Nov 12, 2016 1:11 pm

Quokkastan wrote:
Danceria wrote:According to Google: It's 라스푸틴 or laseuputin.

Yes but that ignores my clever (by a certain definition of "clever") use of Korean honorifics.

Shaman. Now, when they say "Shaman" what are they talking about here? Is she a Tengriist or something?

The word "shaman" is actually a loanword from Tungusic languages, possibly Manchu (where the word for shaman is actually shaman, but other Tungusic languages have this too).

Korea's traditional religion is shamanism (though later heavily infused with foreign religions such as Buddhism). Shinto was also historically just shamanism, now with a fancy name attached to the specific variety present in Japan. Shamanism is somewhat of a commonality in Northeast Asia; the word itself is borrowed from a Northeast Asian language.

People don't really see shamanism as much of a "legitimate religion," though; it's not organized and doesn't have any holy texts or anything. Park Chung-hee cracked down heavily on it (though tbh so did the Joseon dynasty, but then again they suppressed all religions) and promoted Buddhism and Christianity, which were considered more "legitimate" (imo this was mostly done for recognition as a "civilized nation" or sth by the West).
Last edited by Arumdaum on Sat Nov 12, 2016 1:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Police state of France
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Police state of France » Sat Nov 12, 2016 1:13 pm

Remove the cultist heretic.

bushdid9/11bushdid9/11bushdid9/11

Alternate history where France became a martial law state because of a right-left civil war. ALSO, ISIS never succeeded because of harsh laws, immigration policy and curfews. Also no problems with Russia because it didn't adopt Hollande policies.
98% of all Internet users would cry if Facebook broke down. If you are part of that 2% who simply would sit back and laugh, copy and paste this into your sig.

Nirvash Type TheEND
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 19, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Nirvash Type TheEND » Sat Nov 12, 2016 1:16 pm

I wonder how often Hye attends spirit cookings.
Unreachable.

Quokkastan
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Quokkastan » Sat Nov 12, 2016 1:16 pm

Arumdaum wrote:
Quokkastan wrote:Yes but that ignores my clever (by a certain definition of "clever") use of Korean honorifics.

The word "shaman" is actually a loanword from Tungusic languages, possibly Manchu (where the word for shaman is actually shaman, but other Tungusic languages have this too).

Korea's traditional religion is shamanism. Shinto was also historically just shamanism, now with a fancy name attached to the specific variety present in Japan. Shamanism is somewhat of a commonality in Northeast Asia; the word itself is borrowed from a Northeast Asian language.

I see.

When I was in the Sakha Republic the word very specifically referred to Tengriists. I assumed that traditional Korean practices would have their own word associated with them. Thanks for the clarification.

Keuliseu
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 04, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Keuliseu » Sat Nov 12, 2016 1:18 pm

Quokkastan wrote:

I'd understand, I was going to do my NS nation name in Hangul but I didn't, don't even know if it'd let me

Sanctissima
Powerbroker

Founded: Jul 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Sanctissima » Sat Nov 12, 2016 1:18 pm

Quokkastan wrote:
Danceria wrote:According to Google: It's 라스푸틴 or laseuputin.

It's... complicated.

Her father, Choi Tae-min, was a Buddhist convert to Catholicism who declared himself a future Buddha and founded a Buddhist-Catholic syncretic cult called the Church of Eternity. He eventually became a very close associate of the current president's father Park Chung-hee, who was president at the time, by claiming that he could communicate with his recently assassinated wife. After Park Chung-hee was himself assassinated, Choi Tae-min was basically Park Geun-hye's (the current president and daughter of Park Chung-hee) mentor. He died in 1994, leaving his daughter Choi Soon-sil, the current shaman in question, as the new cult leader.

It reads a bit like a shitty anime manga, I know. All we're missing is for either the shaman or president to be yandere, and for there to be a secret lesbian relationship between the two.

Arumdaum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Arumdaum » Sat Nov 12, 2016 1:19 pm

Quokkastan wrote:
Arumdaum wrote:The word "shaman" is actually a loanword from Tungusic languages, possibly Manchu (where the word for shaman is actually shaman, but other Tungusic languages have this too).

Korea's traditional religion is shamanism. Shinto was also historically just shamanism, now with a fancy name attached to the specific variety present in Japan. Shamanism is somewhat of a commonality in Northeast Asia; the word itself is borrowed from a Northeast Asian language.

I see.

When I was in the Sakha Republic the word very specifically referred to Tengriists. I assumed that traditional Korean practices would have their own word associated with them. Thanks for the clarification.

There are some words for the variety specific to Korea, such as mugyo (Muism), sindo (Sinism, shindo), sindogyo, gosindo, and pungwoldo, but people also just call it shamanism in English.
Last edited by Arumdaum on Sat Nov 12, 2016 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Quokkastan
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Quokkastan » Sat Nov 12, 2016 1:24 pm

Sanctissima wrote:
Quokkastan wrote:Yes but that ignores my clever (by a certain definition of "clever") use of Korean honorifics.

It's... complicated.

Her father, Choi Tae-min, was a Buddhist convert to Catholicism who declared himself a future Buddha and founded a Buddhist-Catholic syncretic cult called the Church of Eternity. He eventually became a very close associate of the current president's father Park Chung-hee, who was president at the time, by claiming that he could communicate with his recently assassinated wife. After Park Chung-hee was himself assassinated, Choi Tae-min was basically Park Geun-hye's (the current president and daughter of Park Chung-hee) mentor. He died in 1994, leaving his daughter Choi Soon-sil, the current shaman in question, as the new cult leader.

It reads a bit like a shitty anime manga, I know. All we're missing is for either the shaman or president to be yandere, and for there to be a secret lesbian relationship between the two.

The investigation is still ongoing. Let's not rule anything out.

Shamhnan Insir
Minister

Founded: Jul 08, 2013
Father Knows Best State

Postby Shamhnan Insir » Sat Nov 12, 2016 1:27 pm

They were/are friends.

Apparently friendship is magic.

However magic is heresy, so to the flames with them both!
Call me Sham

-"Governments may think and say as they like, but force cannot be eliminated, and it is the only real and unanswerable power. We are told that the pen is mightier than the sword, but I know which of these weapons I would choose." Sir Adrian Paul Ghislain Carton de Wiart VC, KBE, CB, CMG, DSO.

Nationalism is an infantile disease, it is the measles of humanity.
Darwinish Brentsylvania wrote:Shamhnan Insir started this wonderful tranquility, ALL PRAISE THE SHEPHERD KING

James_xenoland
Diplomat

Founded: May 31, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby James_xenoland » Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:50 pm

Sanctissima wrote:

It's... complicated.

............................Wow! I don't think i have the words... :blink:
Last edited by James_xenoland on Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
One either fights for something, or falls for nothing.
One either stands for something, or falls for anything.

---
"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."

---
Rikese wrote:From a 14 year old saying that children should vote, to a wankfest about whether or not God exists. Good job, you have all achieved new benchmarks in stupidity.

Nusaresa
Minister

Founded: Aug 13, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Nusaresa » Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:43 am

Doesn't President Park have a ~5% approval rating?
The Republic of Nusaresa

A Southeast Asian getaway with long unbroken beaches, many historical sites, and a world class quality of life. Enjoy a pleasant dinner at the many restaurants, snorkeling at the pristine lagoon, or discover the Nusarese heritage through a tour of the country.

Nusaresa welcomes you.
Jochizyd Republic wrote:Death by honorable child soldier is less humiliating than death by Antifa activist.

confirmed yandere bishounen
Climate Change needs to stop being a partisan issue

Gauthier
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Sun Nov 13, 2016 2:08 am

Kravanica wrote:They're this upset because their President had an unofficial advisor?

More like a Rasputina.
Crimes committed by Muslims will be a pan-Islamic plot and proof of Islam's inherent evil. On the other hand crimes committed by non-Muslims will merely be the acts of loners who do not represent their belief system at all.
The probability of one's participation in homosexual acts is directly proportional to one's public disdain and disgust for homosexuals.
If a political figure makes an accusation of wrongdoing without evidence, odds are probable that the accuser or an associate thereof has in fact committed the very same act, possibly to a worse degree.
Where is your God-Emperor now?

Gauthier
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Sun Nov 13, 2016 2:10 am

Sanctissima wrote:

It's... complicated.

And someone to dig around in the cult and find some Lovecraftian shit.
Crimes committed by Muslims will be a pan-Islamic plot and proof of Islam's inherent evil. On the other hand crimes committed by non-Muslims will merely be the acts of loners who do not represent their belief system at all.
The probability of one's participation in homosexual acts is directly proportional to one's public disdain and disgust for homosexuals.
If a political figure makes an accusation of wrongdoing without evidence, odds are probable that the accuser or an associate thereof has in fact committed the very same act, possibly to a worse degree.

Shamhnan Insir
Minister

Founded: Jul 08, 2013
Father Knows Best State

Postby Shamhnan Insir » Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:40 am

Protests enter the fourth week.

And Park continues to claim she will not move from her position, only appearing on television to "apologise"
Call me Sham

-"Governments may think and say as they like, but force cannot be eliminated, and it is the only real and unanswerable power. We are told that the pen is mightier than the sword, but I know which of these weapons I would choose." Sir Adrian Paul Ghislain Carton de Wiart VC, KBE, CB, CMG, DSO.

Nationalism is an infantile disease, it is the measles of humanity.
Darwinish Brentsylvania wrote:Shamhnan Insir started this wonderful tranquility, ALL PRAISE THE SHEPHERD KING

Gauthier
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:49 am

Shamhnan Insir wrote:Protests enter the fourth week.

And Park continues to claim she will not move from her position, only appearing on television to "apologise"

Question is, is she holding ground because she wants to, or because she was "advised" to?

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:59 am

Gauthier wrote:
Shamhnan Insir wrote:Protests enter the fourth week.

Question is, is she holding ground because she wants to, or because she was "advised" to?

Power corrupts and all that
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Gauthier
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:00 am

Thermodolia wrote:
Gauthier wrote:

Power corrupts and all that

The only thing worse than being corrupt is being well intentioned but easily played by the corrupt.

Hurdergaryp
Post Czar

Founded: Jul 10, 2016
Democratic Socialists

Postby Hurdergaryp » Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:02 am

Valaran wrote:
Uxupox wrote:I think it was always been like that. The current President was the daughter of the dictator that led South Korea for around 18 years.

The resentment of this perceived system is relatively recent, though no less intense for all that.

Apparently it takes a while for the South Korean public to work up a collective anger, but once they get there...

“Everything under heaven is in utter chaos; the situation is excellent.”
Mao Zedong

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General