NATION

PASSWORD

To Fellow Liberals That Want to Move to Canada- Don't

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Austerain
Bureaucrat

Founded: Oct 16, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

To Fellow Liberals That Want to Move to Canada- Don't

Postby Austerain » Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:40 pm

Since the result of the election, I have noticed that many of my fellow liberals and Democrats have been talking about leaving for Canada or other progressive countries. I think it's preposterous.

I understand that many of you are very saddened and disappointed in the result of the election- that someone with a demeanor like Trump was elected and that these attacks inspired by him have taken place. But this is what we must do:

1) Recognize that yes Trump will be our President. That does not mean that we support what he has said or stood by. The #NotMyPresident hashtag reflects the many protests against Obama 8 years ago, although with different circumstantial reasoning.

2) Stand by our principles and oppose Trump if he undermines the rights of minorities, women, immigrants, and disabled Americans.

3) Reform our party to reflect not only progressive values, but policies by which working class rural voters AND urban voters can stand by. Weed out the corruption.

I think it is disgraceful, selfish, and lazy to leave the country because things look bleak. We live in a democratic republic, and free thought and different views are essential in its functioning. Our Constitution is framed to not only protect the rights and liberties of the majority factions, but the minority factions as well. As such, we must take advantage of it and fight hard to change our country. This is the most patriotic thing we can do. If we truly love our great nation, we will continue the struggle.

Nothing will ever change if all of us leave, and running away from our problems will not fix anything.

If we leave to our "safe spaces" in progressive countries or try to secede (ah-hem Calexit), this only confirms the caricature that conservatives accuse us with- crybaby liberals running away to safe spaces. Prove them wrong by standing your ground and fighting for what you believe in through peaceful process (i.e. no violence).

“We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than that which divides us”. -Jo Cox

"When they go low, we go high" -Michelle Obama

I understand that you're afraid and upset. I am too. For the first time on the morning of November 9th, I woke up feeling as if I lost a family member and shed a couple tears for our country. But we must live with it and carry on. We should be even more motivated and inspired to reform within ourselves and fight on.

I always tell people that they always like to complain about the state of the country, but they don’t like to do anything to change it. I believe this is something that both conservatives and liberals can agree on. :hug:

I'm sorry to the moderators if this is an inappropriate area for a rant, but I feel it needed to be said. Rant is over.
Pierce
Deputy Chief of State of Europeia
2 term Vice President of Europeia

I didnt vote for Trump
Envoy

Founded: Nov 11, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby I didnt vote for Trump » Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:48 pm

But do we really have an obligation to do what's right for our country? Does that take precedent over doing what's right for ourselves?

FelrikTheDeleted
Powerbroker

Founded: Aug 27, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby FelrikTheDeleted » Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:50 pm

I didnt vote for Trump wrote:But do we really have an obligation to do what's right for our country? Does that take precedent over doing what's right for ourselves?

A country consist of millions of people (usually) and institutions that keep everything working well, it would take priority over an individual.

Austerain
Bureaucrat

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Austerain » Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:52 pm

I would find that incredibly selfish if we didn't take up the initiative to do what's right. Civil rights leaders could have easily left the country or accepted their place in society back then over being jailed for it, but they chose to promote change out of civic duty. Why leave one of the most powerful nations on earth to people like this? Why accept defeat and let them win by crawling away?

Leaving won't solve anything.
Pierce

I didnt vote for Trump
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby I didnt vote for Trump » Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:53 pm

FelrikTheDeleted wrote:
I didnt vote for Trump wrote:But do we really have an obligation to do what's right for our country? Does that take precedent over doing what's right for ourselves?

A country consist of millions of people (usually) and institutions that keep everything working well, it would take priority over an individual.

As an individual, why should I align my priorities with millions of people and institutions when I have the choice to look after myself first and foremost?

I doubt many, if any, will leave the US because of Trump's presidency yet if they want to leave, let them go.

Maichuko
Ambassador

Founded: May 02, 2015
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Maichuko » Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:53 pm

I don't have the money to leave so I'm staying. I don't think Trump can fuck up California too bad.
Long Live the Emperor of all Maichukoans! May he live 100 years!
(V)(;,,;)(V) woop woop woop woop

FelrikTheDeleted
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby FelrikTheDeleted » Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:55 pm

I didnt vote for Trump wrote:
FelrikTheDeleted wrote:

As an individual, why should I align my priorities with millions of people and institutions when I have the choice to look after myself first and foremost?

I doubt many, if any, will leave the US because of Trump's presidency yet if they want to leave, let them go.

Those people and institutions offer much to the individual, things that otherwise, someone on their lonesome would find near to impossible to obtain.
Last edited by FelrikTheDeleted on Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I didnt vote for Trump
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby I didnt vote for Trump » Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:55 pm

Austerain wrote:I would find that incredibly selfish if we didn't take up the initiative to do what's right. Civil rights leaders could have easily left the country or accepted their place in society back then over being jailed for it, but they chose to promote change out of civic duty. Why leave one of the most powerful nations on earth to people like this? Why accept defeat and let them win by crawling away?

Leaving won't solve anything.

So aside from announcing your intentions to stay and help and denigrating others who would sooner leave, what is your current plan of action for promoting change?

Jochizyd Republic
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 07, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Jochizyd Republic » Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:56 pm

How about you just don't have your opinions because they made all of this possible?
Last edited by Jochizyd Republic on Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Sons and Daughters of Jochi Ride Out Again!
For The Khan! For The State! For Faith and For Heritage!
Muslim and Tengrist Clerical Fascist State. Not my rl views.

Just Call Me Joch.
Jochistan reincarnated. Destroyed for my sins at 9300+ Posts.
See Space, You Cowboy

Neanderthaland
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 10, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Neanderthaland » Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:56 pm

It's cold there.

Move to New Zealand.
Ug make fire. Mod ban Ug.

I didnt vote for Trump
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby I didnt vote for Trump » Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:57 pm

FelrikTheDeleted wrote:
I didnt vote for Trump wrote:As an individual, why should I align my priorities with millions of people and institutions when I have the choice to look after myself first and foremost?

Those people and institutions offer much to the individual, thing that someone on their lonesome would find near to impossible to obtain.

Good thing that those who leave won't be on their lonesome, they'll be in another country with other people and institutions.

Considering how alienated many Americans should rightly feel at the moment after the most divisive President in memorable history has been elected, I really cannot blame anybody for wanting to move to a community where they feel they'll better accepted.

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:57 pm

We all ready have a Trump megathread so this is spam viewtopic.php?f=20&t=394626
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Daburuetchi
Minister

Founded: Sep 14, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Daburuetchi » Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:57 pm

We've hit peak self-satire with the OP.

FelrikTheDeleted
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby FelrikTheDeleted » Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:57 pm

Neanderthaland wrote:It's cold there.

Move to New Zealand.

It's still cold in New Zealand. Do yourselves a favour and move to Australia.

Neanderthaland
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Neanderthaland » Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:57 pm

Jochizyd Republic wrote:How about you just don't have your opinions because they made all of this possible?

He says, flying the bust of the man who sunk Persia.

Moukere
Attaché

Founded: Mar 18, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Moukere » Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:58 pm

Neanderthaland wrote:It's cold there.

Move to New Zealand.

No, we don't want you here

FelrikTheDeleted
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby FelrikTheDeleted » Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:01 pm

I didnt vote for Trump wrote:
FelrikTheDeleted wrote:
Those people and institutions offer much to the individual, thing that someone on their lonesome would find near to impossible to obtain.

Good thing that those who leave won't be on their lonesome, they'll be in another country with other people and institutions.

Considering how alienated many Americans should rightly feel at the moment after the most divisive President in memorable history has been elected, I really cannot blame anybody for wanting to move to a community where they feel they'll better accepted.

They won't be on their lonesome, if they were to leave the country, you are correct. However, the question was whether they have an obligation to do what is right for their country. Yes they do because the lives of millions and the institutions that keep the country standing are ultimately more important than the individual and their needs.
Last edited by FelrikTheDeleted on Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Luziyca
Post Czar

Founded: Nov 13, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Luziyca » Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:01 pm

As a white Canadian, if you are a Muslim, a minority, or part of the LGBT community, I won't mind having you guys come here if things go south and you get persecuted by the American government for who you are. But if you are not at risk for persecution by the government, you don't need our protection.
|||The Kingdom of Rwizikuru|||
Your feeble attempts to change the very nature of how time itself has been organized by mankind shall fall on barren ground and bear no fruit
WikiFacebookKylaris: the best region for eight years runningAbout meYouTubePolitical compass

Jochizyd Republic
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 07, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Jochizyd Republic » Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:02 pm

Neanderthaland wrote:
Jochizyd Republic wrote:How about you just don't have your opinions because they made all of this possible?

He says, flying the bust of the man who sunk Persia.

Timur did literally nothing wrong.
The Sons and Daughters of Jochi Ride Out Again!
For The Khan! For The State! For Faith and For Heritage!
Muslim and Tengrist Clerical Fascist State. Not my rl views.

Just Call Me Joch.
Jochistan reincarnated. Destroyed for my sins at 9300+ Posts.
See Space, You Cowboy

Daburuetchi
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Daburuetchi » Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:02 pm

Luziyca wrote:As a white Canadian, if you are a Muslim, a minority, or part of the LGBT community, I won't mind having you guys come here if things go south and you get persecuted by the American government for who you are. But if you are not at risk for persecution by the government, you don't need our protection.

Our massive incarceration rate and poverty statistics would like to have a word with you...

Austerain
Bureaucrat

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Austerain » Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:02 pm

Austerain wrote:3) Reform our party to reflect not only progressive values, but policies by which working class rural voters AND urban voters can stand by. Weed out the corruption.

We need to mobilize and unite during the next four years rather than mobilizing only for elections. Become active in our communities and promote social justice. As I said above, we need to reform the party to overhaul the corruption to restore trust in the party and work for policy to restore trust in the government. Invalidate the myths and misinformation. Defend the rights and liberties of minorities without alienating people. Reach out to more people in the working class rather than corporate welfare and the government cozying up to corporations as many on both sides have.

There is so much more than what I've said, but it would take an entire essay to detail why and what should change.
Pierce

FelrikTheDeleted
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby FelrikTheDeleted » Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:03 pm

Luziyca wrote:As a white Canadian, if you are a Muslim, a minority, or part of the LGBT community, I won't mind having you guys come here if things go south and you get persecuted by the American government for who you are. But if you are not at risk for persecution by the government, you don't need our protection.

They really don't need to go anywhere, to persecute them would to commit political and social suicide.

Daburuetchi
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Daburuetchi » Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:04 pm

Austerain wrote:
Austerain wrote:3) Reform our party to reflect not only progressive values, but policies by which working class rural voters AND urban voters can stand by. Weed out the corruption.

We need to mobilize and unite during the next four years rather than mobilizing only for elections. Become active in our communities and promote social justice. As I said above, we need to reform the party to overhaul the corruption to restore trust in the party and work for policy to restore trust in the government. Invalidate the myths and misinformation. Defend the rights and liberties of minorities without alienating people. Reach out to more people in the working class rather than corporate welfare and the government cozying up to corporations as many on both sides have.

There is so much more than what I've said, but it would take an entire essay to detail why and what should change.

Glory to the Sanderista Liberation Front. In all seriousness this is the liberal panacea to everything. Democracy and capitalism are incompatible

Neanderthaland
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Neanderthaland » Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:04 pm

Jochizyd Republic wrote:
Neanderthaland wrote:He says, flying the bust of the man who sunk Persia.

Timur did literally nothing wrong.

He so badly damaged Persian infrastructure that the region was unable to effectively export power past his death into modernity.

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:04 pm

Daburuetchi wrote:

Our massive incarceration rate and poverty statistics would like to have a word with you...

Canada has a high incarceration rate? Oh that's rich!
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General