NATION

PASSWORD

How does gay marriage undermine straight marriage?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

User avatar
Gauthier
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 52887
Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:19 pm

Anyone who thinks gay marriage threatens heterosexual marriages is probably scared of finding out they're gay themselves.
Crimes committed by Muslims will be a pan-Islamic plot and proof of Islam's inherent evil. On the other hand crimes committed by non-Muslims will merely be the acts of loners who do not represent their belief system at all.
The probability of one's participation in homosexual acts is directly proportional to one's public disdain and disgust for homosexuals.
If a political figure makes an accusation of wrongdoing without evidence, odds are probable that the accuser or an associate thereof has in fact committed the very same act, possibly to a worse degree.
Where is your God-Emperor now?

User avatar
Tekania
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 21356
Founded: May 26, 2004
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tekania » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:21 pm

Gauthier wrote:Anyone who thinks gay marriage threatens heterosexual marriages is probably scared of finding out they're gay themselves.


This could be right...

Image
Such heroic nonsense!

User avatar
Tech-gnosis
Diplomat
 
Posts: 1000
Founded: Jul 03, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Tech-gnosis » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:55 pm

Gay marriage undermines straight marriages because gay marriages are vastly superior to straight marriages. This will cause heterosexuals to realize the mistakes they made by seeking opposite sex partners. Millions of straight couples will break up so that former straights will choose to become gay, since homosexuality is a choice. Heterosexuality and thus heterosexual marriages are fragile things and can only survive through coercion.

User avatar
Chumblywumbly
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5615
Founded: Feb 22, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Chumblywumbly » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:35 am

On the subject, woop woop to Washington DC.
I suffer, I labour, I dream, I enjoy, I think; and, in a word, when my last hour strikes, I shall have lived.

User avatar
The Parkus Empire
Post Czar
 
Posts: 43030
Founded: Sep 12, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:40 am

Tekania wrote:
DrunkenDove wrote:Where's that "evil aura" picture when you need it?


Fred Phelps is busy using it...

Image


Opps, sorry, wrong photo... You can tell it's easy to scramble the two....

Image


Image
American Orthodox: one, holy, catholic, and apostolic church.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist
♂Copy and paste this in your sig if you passed biology and know men and women aren't the same.♀

User avatar
Braaainsss
Diplomat
 
Posts: 742
Founded: Oct 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Braaainsss » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:08 am

Chumblywumbly wrote:On the subject, woop woop to Washington DC.


The Catholic Church's reaction shows how gay marriage might be construed to "undermine" straight marriage. To avoid having to give benefits to same-sex couples, they cut off marriage benefits entirely. The idea of marriage is that there is a special class of people who get extra social benefits. Broaden that class and you undermine its exclusivity. It's like how letting in black people undermined country clubs.

User avatar
Bottle
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 14985
Founded: Dec 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Bottle » Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:45 am

Equality is a slippery slope, people, and if you give it to the gays you have to give it to the polygamists and if you give it to the polygamists you have to give it to the serial dog molesters and if you give it to the serial dog molesters you have to give it to the machine fetishists and the next thing you know you're being tied up by a trio of polygamist lesbian powerbooks and you can't get out because the safety word is case sensistive!
"Until evolution happens like in pokemon I'll never accept your 'evidence'!" -Ifreann
"Well, excuuuuuuse me, feminist." -Ende

User avatar
Ermarian
Minister
 
Posts: 2771
Founded: Jan 11, 2004
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Ermarian » Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:50 am

UnhealthyTruthseeker wrote:It lets off excess gaydiation. Promiscuous single fags have higher energy. When they settle down, they lose energy. The conservation of fabulosity says that homo energy has to go somewhere, so it's let off as gaydiation. When unsuspecting Christian married people get hit by it, they suddenly want to design fashion and get fucked in the ass if male, or fuck other women in the ass and embrace radical "kill all men" feminism if female. Both genders suddenly find themselves accepting evolution and worshiping Satan as a result.


I like your style. :lol:
The Endless Empire of Ermarian | Jolt Archives | Encyclopedia Ermariana | ( -6.38 | -8.56 ) | Luna is best pony.
"Without deeper reflection one knows from daily life that one exists for other people - first of all for those upon whose smiles and well-being our own happiness is wholly dependent, and then for the many, unknown to us, to whose destinies we are bound by the ties of sympathy." -Einstein
"Is there a topic for discussion here, or did you just want to be wrong in public?" -Ifreann

User avatar
Antiacedia
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 172
Founded: Feb 14, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Antiacedia » Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:37 am

Takaram wrote:I have never heard any real explanation for why "Gay marriage will destroy traditional marriage".

Therefore, I must assume that the only logical solution is that the argument is false.


I've never heard any real explanation either, but that doesn't mean I can assume there is no logic. I'm looking for the explanation, and when someone posts saying there is none or just insults the opposing view, I'm less likely to get that explanation.

Dyakovo wrote:Happy now?
disclaimer: I don't believe the clap trap I posted, it is from this link.


I'm still concerned that this link doesn't explicate. If it doesn't go into the theory too much I tend to think it can't be representative, in the same sense that you can't take most of what msnbc says as the liberal stance because they have too heavy a bias. This is a lot like taking the Fox news statement as the conservative stance. If you take the pundits' word for things everyone ends up looking like an idiot.

Plus it doesn't help that the one piece of evidence that he sights, the change in marriage-age, is dismissable if you so much as read the rest of the sentence.

I also feel compelled to point out that the author's summation said the number of marriages went down, but the actual refernce said the average age of those getting married went up. So was the first one right or the second one? It didn't sound like they thought those details weren't the same. Not exactly great reporting if the author can't even summerize their article correctly.

There's a line in that DC artical that reads, "Catholic Charities of the Archdiocese of Washington on Tuesday limited employee health care benefits to avoid coverage of same-sex couples." Rather alarming really. They are so dead-set against gay marriage they're willing to hurt straight people. It doesn't really address finding out what the theory they're advocating is, but it's worth mentioning.
When children are taught to read, some fight it. They argue it's stupid, and that they'll never need to use it. In the end, if they learn to read with faccility, they'll agree that it vastly improves their lives. They can't really judge the value of it until they've learned to do it. And the ones that still can't do it well continue to insist they don't need it. The same can be said, on all counts, for philosophy.

User avatar
The_pantless_hero
Senator
 
Posts: 4302
Founded: Mar 19, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby The_pantless_hero » Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:42 am

Because gay marriage can only occur by sacrificing a member of the same sex that is in a heterosexual marriage.
Bottle wrote:Equality is a slippery slope, people, and if you give it to the gays you have to give it to the polygamists and if you give it to the polygamists you have to give it to the serial dog molesters and if you give it to the serial dog molesters you have to give it to the machine fetishists and the next thing you know you're being tied up by a trio of polygamist lesbian powerbooks and you can't get out because the safety word is case sensistive!

Doing what we must because we can

User avatar
Jello Biafra
Negotiator
 
Posts: 6288
Founded: Antiquity
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Jello Biafra » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:07 am

Everybody knows that the only reason heterosexuality exists is because marriage is a social institution exclusively for one man and one woman. Without heterosexual-only marriage, there'd be no heterosexual consummation of the marriage, no babies, and ultimately, no human race.

User avatar
Tekania
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 21356
Founded: May 26, 2004
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tekania » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:13 am

Jello Biafra wrote:Everybody knows that the only reason heterosexuality exists is because marriage is a social institution exclusively for one man and one woman. Without heterosexual-only marriage, there'd be no heterosexual consummation of the marriage, no babies, and ultimately, no human race.


:nods:

Yes, because clearly, without any doubt and proven by repeated research and testing (The same extensive research and testing done to prove that married homosexual couples can't be good parents)... If we were to allow homosexuals to marry, then only homosexuals would marry... There would no longer be any children and the human race would become extinct... Clearly we must stop this from happening...
Such heroic nonsense!

User avatar
Unchecked Expansion
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5599
Founded: May 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Unchecked Expansion » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:30 am

Bottle wrote:Equality is a slippery slope, people, and if you give it to the gays you have to give it to the polygamists and if you give it to the polygamists you have to give it to the serial dog molesters and if you give it to the serial dog molesters you have to give it to the machine fetishists and the next thing you know you're being tied up by a trio of polygamist lesbian powerbooks and you can't get out because the safety word is case sensistive!

Counter argument: http://www.smbc-comics.com/index.php?db=comics&id=1748#comic
Gotta love slippery slopes. They help me work on my skiing technique

User avatar
Flameswroth
Senator
 
Posts: 4773
Founded: Sep 05, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Flameswroth » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:44 am

Czardas wrote:Why should we bail out climate change with billions of dollars, when lesbians are starving in the streets because they can't afford an abortion?

Reagan Clone wrote:What you are proposing is glorifying God by loving, respecting, or at least tolerating, his other creations.

That is the gayest fucking shit I've ever heard, and I had Barry Manilow perform at the White House in '82.



User avatar
Neesika
Minister
 
Posts: 2569
Founded: Aug 26, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Neesika » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:15 am

Parthenon wrote:The same way that cubic zerconia undermines a diamond.

I'm sorry, what?

You claim to be in law school, so I'm going to expect a better argument out of you than a flip one sentence reply.

You are aware that diamonds are no less valuable for there being cubic zirconium, are you not?
"Look, Ann Coulter explained it one time. Jesus came to perfect the Jews so they could become Christians and be saved. If they stay Jews, they are rejecting God and the opportunity to eat bacon dipped in mayo and served on the tits of a woman who doesn't complain at restaruants." - RepentNowOrPayLater

User avatar
The_pantless_hero
Senator
 
Posts: 4302
Founded: Mar 19, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby The_pantless_hero » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:19 am

Neesika wrote:
Parthenon wrote:The same way that cubic zerconia undermines a diamond.

I'm sorry, what?

You claim to be in law school, so I'm going to expect a better argument out of you than a flip one sentence reply.

You are aware that diamonds are no less valuable for there being cubic zirconium, are you not?

It is pretty hard to devalue something that is only valuable because of collusion, monopoly, and marketing.
Bottle wrote:Equality is a slippery slope, people, and if you give it to the gays you have to give it to the polygamists and if you give it to the polygamists you have to give it to the serial dog molesters and if you give it to the serial dog molesters you have to give it to the machine fetishists and the next thing you know you're being tied up by a trio of polygamist lesbian powerbooks and you can't get out because the safety word is case sensistive!

Doing what we must because we can

User avatar
Neesika
Minister
 
Posts: 2569
Founded: Aug 26, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Neesika » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:19 am

UnhealthyTruthseeker wrote:It lets off excess gaydiation. Promiscuous single fags have higher energy. When they settle down, they lose energy. The conservation of fabulosity says that homo energy has to go somewhere, so it's let off as gaydiation. When unsuspecting Christian married people get hit by it, they suddenly want to design fashion and get fucked in the ass if male, or fuck other women in the ass and embrace radical "kill all men" feminism if female. Both genders suddenly find themselves accepting evolution and worshiping Satan as a result.


UnhealthyTruthseeker wrote:
Tekania wrote:Well, if they are so worried about it, why don't they simply start carrying around gayger-counters....


Because teh ghey will be everywhere and there will be no way to avoid the gaydiation. It'll put the Cher in Chernobyl.



These are quite possibly the most wonderful posts ever made.
Last edited by Neesika on Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Look, Ann Coulter explained it one time. Jesus came to perfect the Jews so they could become Christians and be saved. If they stay Jews, they are rejecting God and the opportunity to eat bacon dipped in mayo and served on the tits of a woman who doesn't complain at restaruants." - RepentNowOrPayLater

User avatar
Neesika
Minister
 
Posts: 2569
Founded: Aug 26, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Neesika » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:20 am

The Corparation wrote:
UnhealthyTruthseeker wrote:It lets off excess gaydiation. Promiscuous single fags have higher energy. When they settle down, they lose energy. The conservation of fabulosity says that homo energy has to go somewhere, so it's let off as gaydiation. When unsuspecting Christian married people get hit by it, they suddenly want to design fashion and get fucked in the ass if male, or fuck other women in the ass and embrace radical "kill all men" feminism if female. Both genders suddenly find themselves accepting evolution and worshiping Satan as a result.

If this isn't a sarcastic comment, which I belive it is, then show how gay people cause Married people to become gay.

This is a good example of the dropping IQ level of posters on NSG.
"Look, Ann Coulter explained it one time. Jesus came to perfect the Jews so they could become Christians and be saved. If they stay Jews, they are rejecting God and the opportunity to eat bacon dipped in mayo and served on the tits of a woman who doesn't complain at restaruants." - RepentNowOrPayLater

User avatar
Neesika
Minister
 
Posts: 2569
Founded: Aug 26, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Neesika » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:23 am

F-Carthage IV wrote:I'm not religious (although I suppose I am, what with pascal's wager and all), and I don't feel comfortable with Gay Marriage. Of course, I think it is dangerous for governments to say "You can't get married because marriage is between a man and woman because God says so"... So, I have mixed feelings. I suppose the government shouldn't outlaw it, but I would feel a bit more comfortable if they came up with another word for it, with the exact same rights as a married straight couple. I think "marriage" is man and woman. I don't know why, maybe I'm just a blind traditionalist, but hey, traditions are good things (unless they are malicious) which is why gay people should be able to get "Larried". :kiss:


:rofl: I'm here all week!

Good? :meh:

No? :unsure:

Fine. :mad:

They loved me in Altoona!

You don't have to live next to me, just give me my equality...

I never agreed with that line, to be honest. "Get used to me, and give me my damn equality" would have been better.
"Look, Ann Coulter explained it one time. Jesus came to perfect the Jews so they could become Christians and be saved. If they stay Jews, they are rejecting God and the opportunity to eat bacon dipped in mayo and served on the tits of a woman who doesn't complain at restaruants." - RepentNowOrPayLater

User avatar
Neesika
Minister
 
Posts: 2569
Founded: Aug 26, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Neesika » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:23 am

Parthenon wrote:
Antiacedia wrote:
Parthenon wrote:The same way that cubic zerconia undermines a diamond.

Could you go into that a little more? It's not like the market value of marriage will drop on the open market.

Cubic Zerconia tries to look like a real diamond, but really it just ends up hurting the value of real diamonds as it floods the marketplace and to the untrained eye, the flaws of zerconia appear to be the flaws of a diamond..

I hope you never try to make such an awful analogy when forming a legal argument.
"Look, Ann Coulter explained it one time. Jesus came to perfect the Jews so they could become Christians and be saved. If they stay Jews, they are rejecting God and the opportunity to eat bacon dipped in mayo and served on the tits of a woman who doesn't complain at restaruants." - RepentNowOrPayLater

User avatar
Flameswroth
Senator
 
Posts: 4773
Founded: Sep 05, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Flameswroth » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:27 am

Parthenon wrote:
Antiacedia wrote:
Parthenon wrote:The same way that cubic zerconia undermines a diamond.

Could you go into that a little more? It's not like the market value of marriage will drop on the open market.

Cubic Zerconia tries to look like a real diamond, but really it just ends up hurting the value of real diamonds as it floods the marketplace and to the untrained eye, the flaws of zerconia appear to be the flaws of a diamond..

As Nosferatu Sam Neill would say, "There will always be people willing to pay more for the real thing." :D
Czardas wrote:Why should we bail out climate change with billions of dollars, when lesbians are starving in the streets because they can't afford an abortion?

Reagan Clone wrote:What you are proposing is glorifying God by loving, respecting, or at least tolerating, his other creations.

That is the gayest fucking shit I've ever heard, and I had Barry Manilow perform at the White House in '82.



User avatar
Ifreann
Post Overlord
 
Posts: 133407
Founded: Aug 07, 2005
Democratic Socialists

Postby Ifreann » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:35 am

Flameswroth wrote:
Parthenon wrote:
Antiacedia wrote:
Parthenon wrote:The same way that cubic zerconia undermines a diamond.

Could you go into that a little more? It's not like the market value of marriage will drop on the open market.

Cubic Zerconia tries to look like a real diamond, but really it just ends up hurting the value of real diamonds as it floods the marketplace and to the untrained eye, the flaws of zerconia appear to be the flaws of a diamond..

As Nosferatu Sam Neill would say, "There will always be people willing to pay more for the real thing." :D

Next step in the protection of the sanctity of marriage: Creating a new institution that's almost exactly like marriage, but costs 500 times more and is explicitly designed only for opposite sex couples.
Mistake Not My Current State Of Joshing Gentle Banter For The Awesome And Terrible Majesty Of The Towering Seas Of Snark That Are Themselves The Mere Milquetoast Shallows Fringing My Vast Oceans Of Sarcasm
He/Him

Dangerous this Jack o' Hearts.
With his kiss
the riot
starts

User avatar
Neesika
Minister
 
Posts: 2569
Founded: Aug 26, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Neesika » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:35 am

Bottle wrote:Equality is a slippery slope, people, and if you give it to the gays you have to give it to the polygamists and if you give it to the polygamists you have to give it to the serial dog molesters and if you give it to the serial dog molesters you have to give it to the machine fetishists and the next thing you know you're being tied up by a trio of polygamist lesbian powerbooks and you can't get out because the safety word is case sensistive!

Actually this IS an argument I hear most often. Which always amuses me since the majority of polygamists out there are fundamental Christian sects.

It pains me, but it does bring up a valid point. If we recognise that it is unjust and/or unconstitutional to restrict marriage to opposite sex couples, there is a VERY good argument to be made for polygamous marriages. Which I don't really have a problem with, to be honest. There is a case on polygamy working through the upper level courts here in Canada, which may eventually hit the Supreme Court. Right now, the case is based on 'freedom of religion', which is a shame. Hopefully it will not remain so narrowly construed.

The point is, people who bring up the slippery slope argument would have a legitimate argument if they actually understood the issues, but they would still have to explain why gay marriage or polygamy is inherently double plus ungood. Which is not somewhere most of those opposing such things are able to do. It's difficult to even get them to discuss the issue past "IZ BAAAD!", as this thread highlights well.

Fine, this is a polarising topic, and yes you will get shit on if you oppose gay marriage in certain areas, but if you really have a problem with it, fucking suck it up and explain it! If your 'problem' lacks any rational, logical, or persuasive merit, then perhaps you should look harder at it?

I'm just saying is all, Bottle, you gay hater you.

:P Fuck I wish there was a better way to segue from a direct second person 'you' to the indirect indefinite 'you'.
"Look, Ann Coulter explained it one time. Jesus came to perfect the Jews so they could become Christians and be saved. If they stay Jews, they are rejecting God and the opportunity to eat bacon dipped in mayo and served on the tits of a woman who doesn't complain at restaruants." - RepentNowOrPayLater

User avatar
Flameswroth
Senator
 
Posts: 4773
Founded: Sep 05, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Flameswroth » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:38 am

Ifreann wrote:
Flameswroth wrote:
Parthenon wrote:
Antiacedia wrote:
Parthenon wrote:The same way that cubic zerconia undermines a diamond.

Could you go into that a little more? It's not like the market value of marriage will drop on the open market.

Cubic Zerconia tries to look like a real diamond, but really it just ends up hurting the value of real diamonds as it floods the marketplace and to the untrained eye, the flaws of zerconia appear to be the flaws of a diamond..

As Nosferatu Sam Neill would say, "There will always be people willing to pay more for the real thing." :D

Next step in the protection of the sanctity of marriage: Creating a new institution that's almost exactly like marriage, but costs 500 times more and is explicitly designed only for opposite sex couples.

Hmmm....Cadillac* marriages, eh? I hope they at least give you a plaque and some sort of wallet-size certification so you can brag about it to all your friends. That'd be pretty sweet!

*I am in no way implying that the Cadillac brand is sold exclusively to heterosexuals
Czardas wrote:Why should we bail out climate change with billions of dollars, when lesbians are starving in the streets because they can't afford an abortion?

Reagan Clone wrote:What you are proposing is glorifying God by loving, respecting, or at least tolerating, his other creations.

That is the gayest fucking shit I've ever heard, and I had Barry Manilow perform at the White House in '82.



User avatar
Ifreann
Post Overlord
 
Posts: 133407
Founded: Aug 07, 2005
Democratic Socialists

Postby Ifreann » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:40 am

Flameswroth wrote:
Ifreann wrote:
Flameswroth wrote:
Parthenon wrote:
Antiacedia wrote:
Parthenon wrote:The same way that cubic zerconia undermines a diamond.

Could you go into that a little more? It's not like the market value of marriage will drop on the open market.

Cubic Zerconia tries to look like a real diamond, but really it just ends up hurting the value of real diamonds as it floods the marketplace and to the untrained eye, the flaws of zerconia appear to be the flaws of a diamond..

As Nosferatu Sam Neill would say, "There will always be people willing to pay more for the real thing." :D

Next step in the protection of the sanctity of marriage: Creating a new institution that's almost exactly like marriage, but costs 500 times more and is explicitly designed only for opposite sex couples.

Hmmm....Cadillac* marriages, eh? I hope they at least give you a plaque and some sort of wallet-size certification so you can brag about it to all your friends. That'd be pretty sweet!

*I am in no way implying that the Cadillac brand is sold exclusively to heterosexuals

Instead of wedding rings, you get solid gold wedding gloves. Jewels are optional, but encouraged.
Mistake Not My Current State Of Joshing Gentle Banter For The Awesome And Terrible Majesty Of The Towering Seas Of Snark That Are Themselves The Mere Milquetoast Shallows Fringing My Vast Oceans Of Sarcasm
He/Him

Dangerous this Jack o' Hearts.
With his kiss
the riot
starts

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bunker 51, Candanadium, Hurdergaryp, Ifreann, Kiruri, Loben The 2nd, Miami Shores, Ostroeuropa, Salandriagado, Shamhnan Insir, The States of Balloon, Totally Not OEP, Zurkerx

Advertisement

Remove ads