NATION

PASSWORD

Wine, Beer and Spirits: Discussion and Chat

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Achesia
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 26, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Achesia » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:03 pm

Florida has a great brewery scene, several noteable ones in my home town.

Costa Fierro
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Fierro » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:12 pm

Hobbeebia wrote:
Costa Fierro wrote:
I'm not into the brewery scene, largely because there's only one brewery where I live. Their beer isn't bad but I prefer more mainstream beers. Just used to the taste.

If you ever decide to get into the Brewery scene save some money and go to Bamberg, Germany and follow the Brewery Trail.

No thanks. I can just drive for 20 minutes and find myself among numerous wineries. Two hours further and I can get pissed, haute couture.
"Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist." - George Carlin

Hobbeebia
Ambassador

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Hobbeebia » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:14 pm

Got some names? I'll be heading back to Florida soon and I will probably make my way over and try them.
No Sig installed please insert boot media and press any key to continue

Hobbeebia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Hobbeebia » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:15 pm

I'm going to take a gander and say your near the Napa Valley area then :)

Costa Fierro
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Fierro » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:26 pm

Hobbeebia wrote:I'm going to take a gander and say your near the Napa Valley area then :)

Nope. I live in New Zealand. The region where I live and the neighboring region are one of the best wine producing areas in the country and wineries and vineyards here have won numerous international awards.
"Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist." - George Carlin

Hobbeebia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Hobbeebia » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:38 pm

I've heard and tried a few from New Zealand, though the vineyard names escape me at the moment. I was thinking about going sometime in the next 5 years to go on a vineyard tour there. Never know, I might walk right passed you and we would never know hahaha

Achesia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Achesia » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:41 pm

Hobbeebia wrote:Got some names? I'll be heading back to Florida soon and I will probably make my way over and try them.

Playalinda brewing company is the best in Brevard County, idk what part of Florida you will be in.

Hobbeebia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Hobbeebia » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:42 pm

Not to far away actually.

I'm heading to Plant city for business and I have family in the Orlampa area.

Achesia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Achesia » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:45 pm

Hobbeebia wrote:Not to far away actually.

I'm heading to Plant city for business and I have family in the Orlampa area.

Hmm Plant City is pretty far. Thats like Pan Handle.

Hobbeebia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Hobbeebia » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:51 pm

No its not lol Plant city is not to far from Kissimee... My main stay will be in Haine City in Polk county
Last edited by Hobbeebia on Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Achesia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Achesia » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:52 pm

Hobbeebia wrote:No its not lol Plant city is not to far from Kissimee

haha, I'm prob thinking Lake City. Honestly once you cross west of Orlando I am not familiar, though Ive lived east coast all my life.

Aclion
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Aclion » Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:04 pm

My state has loads of wineries and stuff and a good home-brewing community.
I'm mostly a wine, mead or rum person. Sometimes sake or cider if the mood takes me.

Raven corps wrote:Beer will forever reign in my book. Although I do like a good Methaglin mead if done properly.

Nice to see mead getting some love.
A popular Government, without popular information, or the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy; or, perhaps both. - James Madison.

Hobbeebia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Hobbeebia » Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:05 pm

Here is a question for anyone who know anything about brewing beer.

What are some of your preferred Hops alternatives? Or Have you ever thought about anything that could replace hops within a beer?

I always though coffee was pretty decent of a bittering agent myself, and I think it works best with a Porter.

Achesia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Achesia » Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:08 pm

Hobbeebia wrote:Here is a question for anyone who know anything about brewing beer.

What are some of your preferred Hops alternatives? Or Have you ever thought about anything that could replace hops within a beer?

I always though coffee was pretty decent of a bittering agent myself, and I think it works best with a Porter.

Ah this is a talent I wish I had :/ Though now days there are so many home brewing kits out there. When I worked at Target this time of year is when those home brewing kits would be on an end cap somewhere. Obviously a popular holiday gift....

Yes that is what I want for xmas if anyone is wondering.

Hobbeebia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Hobbeebia » Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:11 pm

Aclion wrote:My state has loads of wineries and stuff and a good home-brewing community.
I'm mostly a wine, mead or rum person. Sometimes sake or cider if the mood takes me.

Raven corps wrote:Beer will forever reign in my book. Although I do like a good Methaglin mead if done properly.

Nice to see mead getting some love.

I have a batch of homemade mead still in their carboys and I got about 1 more month before its time to rack. I really excited to get a glimpse of the taste then. There is a local Viking club in Houston that has some small batch meadmakers that make an amazing raspberry Melomel.

Oddly enough my experience with sake is very limited, so I am still learning its in's and outs.

Hobbeebia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Hobbeebia » Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:12 pm

Achesia wrote:
Hobbeebia wrote:Here is a question for anyone who know anything about brewing beer.

Ah this is a talent I wish I had :/ Though now days there are so many home brewing kits out there. When I worked at Target this time of year is when those home brewing kits would be on an end cap somewhere. Obviously a popular holiday gift....

Those endcap start up kits is how I got into all this hahaha.

Once you start you wont be able to stop. As soon as your first, self-made brew hits your lips and you realize it tastes pretty decent you'll be hooked.

Achesia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Achesia » Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:25 pm

Hobbeebia wrote:
Achesia wrote:

Those endcap start up kits is how I got into all this hahaha.

Once you start you wont be able to stop. As soon as your first, self-made brew hits your lips and you realize it tastes pretty decent you'll be hooked.

Yeah I figured it was something like that, because I knew to have your own brewery there had to have been more to it than what they sell at Target.

Aclion
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Aclion » Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:27 pm

Hobbeebia wrote:I have a batch of homemade mead still in their carboys and I got about 1 more month before its time to rack. I really excited to get a glimpse of the taste then. There is a local Viking club in Houston that has some small batch meadmakers that make an amazing raspberry Melomel.

Oddly enough my experience with sake is very limited, so I am still learning its in's and outs.

Yay! That first taste is always the most fun part. Is this your first brew?

Achesia wrote:Ah this is a talent I wish I had :/ Though now days there are so many home brewing kits out there. When I worked at Target this time of year is when those home brewing kits would be on an end cap somewhere. Obviously a popular holiday gift....

I can't speak for beers which are a bit more involved. But i've had a very easy time with wine and mead. It's very straight forward so long as you can follow step by step instructions and be anal about hygiene.

I've had some very good homebrewed stouts made with cocoa. Coffe is nice too
caveat: I'm not a fan of beer generally so your mileage may vary. Though I think it might just be IPAs i don't like.

I should probobly learn more about beer, but i'm loath to since i've only got so much booze time/money and there's so much I've not touched.
A popular Government, without popular information, or the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy; or, perhaps both. - James Madison.

Hobbeebia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Hobbeebia » Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:30 pm

if I focused on productivity I could push out about 150 bottles a month. My set up isn't all that great either.

I have about 200$ in equipment thus far but a lot of it is multi-purpose and I've used it in other beverage related ventures so it help ease the buyers remorse. LOL

Achesia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Achesia » Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:30 pm

Hobbeebia wrote:if I focused on productivity I could push out about 150 bottles a month. My set up isn't all that great either.

I have about 200$ in equipment thus far but a lot of it is multi-purpose and I've used it in other beverage related ventures so it help ease the buyers remorse. LOL

Just get a tap?

Hobbeebia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Hobbeebia » Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:34 pm

Aclion wrote:
Hobbeebia wrote:I have a batch of homemade mead still in their carboys and I got about 1 more month before its time to rack. I really excited to get a glimpse of the taste then. There is a local Viking club in Houston that has some small batch meadmakers that make an amazing raspberry Melomel.

Yay! That first taste is always the most fun part. Is this your first brew?

Nah, This is going to be my 10th batch with this current setup.

Achesia wrote:Ah this is a talent I wish I had :/ Though now days there are so many home brewing kits out there. When I worked at Target this time of year is when those home brewing kits would be on an end cap somewhere. Obviously a popular holiday gift....

I can't speak for beers which are a bit more involved. But i've had a very easy time with wine and mead. It's very straight forward so long as you can follow step by step instructions and be anal about hygiene.

I have a batch of mead in a carboys right now. I really can't wait to get it racked.

I've had some very good homebrewed stouts made with cocoa. Coffe is nice too
caveat: I'm not a fan of beer generally so your mileage may vary. Though I think it might just be IPAs i don't like.

I should probobly learn more about beer, but i'm loath to since i've only got so much booze time/money and there's so much I've not touched.

I found you can join with some friends and divide the cost up it really helps ease the financial burden a lot.

Hobbeebia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Hobbeebia » Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:35 pm

Achesia wrote:
Hobbeebia wrote:if I focused on productivity I could push out about 150 bottles a month. My set up isn't all that great either.

Just get a tap?

I dont have a Keg filler... thats a bit pricey at the moment lol

Achesia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Achesia » Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:38 pm

Hobbeebia wrote:
Achesia wrote:
Just get a tap?

I dont have a Keg filler... thats a bit pricey at the moment lol

I dont know if it is a mental thing, but draft beer is so much better than... like everything.

Hobbeebia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Hobbeebia » Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:39 pm

it is...

The keg offers all of the preservation of a can butt the flavor protection of a bottle, it makes no sense but thats the true lol.

Achesia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Achesia » Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:47 pm

Hobbeebia wrote:it is...

The keg offers all of the preservation of a can butt the flavor protection of a bottle, it makes no sense but thats the true lol.

Tho I feel joints really price for the draft.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General