NATION

PASSWORD

"Violence to Protest Against Trump a Logical Response"

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Karjin
Spokesperson

Founded: Nov 10, 2015
Ex-Nation

"Violence to Protest Against Trump a Logical Response"

Postby Karjin » Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:23 pm

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/10316186

"In the face of media, politicians, and GOP primary voters normalizing Trump as a presidential candidate—whatever your personal beliefs regarding violent resistance—there’s an inherent value in forestalling Trump’s normalization. Violent resistance accomplishes this. In spite of this, such resistance is apparently more offensive and unacceptable to societal norms and liberal sensibilities than the nastiness being resisted in the first place."

The title and article speak clearly enough about the authors intent following the results of the election. What are NS' thoughts on this? Is he right, or overreacting?
Last edited by Karjin on Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The duty of the People is to be proud of their country. The duty of the Government is to ensure that their pride is well founded.

My mailbox is always open to TG's.

I'm trying to be less partisan in serious posts. Please let me know if I'm not doing a good job of that.

INTP-A/Analyst/Confident Individualist
Compass: https://puu.sh/sbzUM.png
Leanings: https://puu.sh/sbz6O.png
Military Quiz: http://puu.sh/sdEsb.png
Political Personality Test: http://puu.sh/sdEME.png http://puu.sh/sdEN6.png
Now in ridiculously high resolution!
Also flies! Special thanks to Casmaru!

The Conez Imperium
Minister

Founded: Nov 23, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Conez Imperium » Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:30 pm

A murky issue as both sides have their justifications.

Huffington argues that violent resistance is the best way to forestall the normalisation of Trump's values (racism, misogyny, xenophobia), whilst on the other hand, violent resistance is generally harmful to society.

I do not think a newspaper arguing for violence as a logical response is going to promote long term benefits. The most interesting argument I found whilst reading is this, I think it shows both sides of the issue even though Huffington uses it as a final argument.

Some people have the privilege to consider the implications of Trump's rise in the abstract and negotiate which means are necessary. That's not true for everyone. And when those who hold that privilege dismiss the potential validity or logic of violent resistance, it's effectively an effort to dictate the rules under which oppressed peoples respond to existential threats, and to silence forms of resistance disagreeable to privileged sensibilities. Don't be that liberal.
Last edited by The Conez Imperium on Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Salut tout le monde, c'est moi !

Sharania
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 11, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Sharania » Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:46 pm

For all of you who are ready to say "Nay!" to such suggestion - a couple of pics, please.

One:

Two:

Go ahead - go ahead and tell these people while looking in their eyes that their struggle for Democracy was "wrong".

Now go and look into a mirror.
Time for justice.
Veteran of the Resistance.

BLM
Pigs are treyf

Purpelia
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:56 pm

If you believe in democracy at all than you have to accept the fact that some times you lose. End of story.

Raising a violent revolt just because the person you supported lost is contrary to the basic principals upon which a modern republic is founded.
Last edited by Purpelia on Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.

The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:57 pm

Purpelia wrote:If you believe in democracy at all than you have to accept the fact that some times you lose. End of story.

Raising a violent revolt just because the person you supported lost is contrary to the basic principals upon which a modern republic is founded.

And when you still lose despite receiving more votes from the people? Doesn't seem all that democratic to me.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Sharania
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Sharania » Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:59 pm

Purpelia wrote:If you believe in democracy at all than you have to accept the fact that some times you lose. End of story.

Will you tell that, "end of story", etc, etc, to the people of Ukraine in 2004? Will you?
Time for justice.

BLM
Pigs are treyf

Daburuetchi
Minister

Founded: Sep 14, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Daburuetchi » Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:59 pm

Material conditions are not right please try again later. Seriously I don't wanna give Trump the excuse to clamp down yet.
Last edited by Daburuetchi on Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bhikkustan
Minister

Founded: Oct 12, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Bhikkustan » Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:01 pm

Arise! Ye workers from your slumbers!
Arise! Ye prisoners of want!
Sunni Muslim ۞ Shafi'i Fiqh ۞ Ashari Aqidah ۞ Wasatiyyah
illegible nutrition enthousiast - nomadism or barbarism
Crimea is Russia Ukraine Tatar
~ Free East Turkistan and Palestine ~

Purpelia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:02 pm

Vassenor wrote:

And when you still lose despite receiving more votes from the people? Doesn't seem all that democratic to me.

If you feel the system is deficient by all means work to change it for next time. But you can not go and retroactively declare it bad because you lost. Once you do that you open up the door to every following election being settled the same way.

You americans of all people should know this. That is how your civil war started!
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.

The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

Dooom35796821595
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 11, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby Dooom35796821595 » Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:03 pm

There was a similar divide when Obama was elected in 2008. Any call for violence is immature and uncalled for.
When life gives you lemons, you BURN THEIR HOUSE DOWN!
Anything can be justified if it is cool. If at first you don't succeed, destroy all in your way.
"Your methods are stupid! Your progress has been stupid! Your intelligence is stupid! For the sake of the mission, you must be terminated!”

Sharania
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Sharania » Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:03 pm

Daburuetchi wrote:Seriously I don't wanna give Trump the excuse to clamp down yet.

1) He is not a president. Yet

2) Where is your courage? Where is your civic consciousness?
Time for justice.

BLM
Pigs are treyf

Rhomaia
Minister

Founded: Sep 14, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Rhomaia » Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:04 pm

Vassenor wrote:

Republic, I'm afraid, is the key word in that sentence. The United States is not a true democracy, but a federal republic, and as such it's leaders are not decided by popular vote alone. The electoral college, which in itself is an establishment representative of the will of the voters, gave it's votes to Trump. There is little more to be said.

Mascargo
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Mascargo » Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:05 pm

There doesn’t need to be a violent protest against Trump. In democracy, you lose sometimes, or you win sometimes, and you have to deal with the outcome. Instead of calling for outright violence, they should be taking the next four years to figure out how to make their candidates and party/platform more appealing. Just as Trump's campaign was considered as grassroots to some, maybe it would benefit the Democrats to follow a similar approach.

Sharania
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Sharania » Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:07 pm

Purpelia wrote:If you feel the system is deficient by all means work to change it for next time. But you can not go and retroactively declare it bad because you lost. Once you do that you open up the door to every following election being settled the same way.

You americans of all people should know this. That is how your civil war started!

1) Sometimes it's the only way to have things done. Like declare Independence and fight for it, not "working within a system".

2) Are you against people rising up against tyrants and despots of the world?
Time for justice.

BLM
Pigs are treyf

The Liberated Territories
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 03, 2013
Capitalizt

Postby The Liberated Territories » Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:08 pm

Violence is only "logical" for beasts, not for humans with the capacity for reason.

Mascargo wrote:There doesn’t need to be a violent protest against Trump. In democracy, you lose sometimes, or you win sometimes, and you have to deal with the outcome. Instead of calling for outright violence, they should be taking the next four years to figure out how to make their candidates and party/platform more appealing. Just as Trump's campaign was considered as grassroots to some, maybe it would benefit the Democrats to follow a similar approach.

Well said.
Left Wing Market Anarchism

Yes, I am back(ish)

Purpelia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:08 pm

Sharania wrote:
Purpelia wrote:If you feel the system is deficient by all means work to change it for next time. But you can not go and retroactively declare it bad because you lost. Once you do that you open up the door to every following election being settled the same way.

1) Sometimes it's the only way to have things done. Like declare Independence and fight for it, not "working within a system".

That's what the South said.

Orostan
Negotiator

Founded: May 02, 2016
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Orostan » Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:09 pm

Bhikkustan wrote:Arise! Ye workers from your slumbers!

this
“It is difficult for me to imagine what “personal liberty” is enjoyed by an unemployed hungry person. True freedom can only be where there is no exploitation and oppression of one person by another; where there is not unemployment, and where a person is not living in fear of losing his job, his home and his bread. Only in such a society personal and any other freedom can exist for real and not on paper.” -J. V. STALIN
Ernest Hemingway wrote:Anyone who loves freedom owes such a debt to the Red Army that it can never be repaid.

Napoleon Bonaparte wrote:“To understand the man you have to know what was happening in the world when he was twenty.”

Cicero wrote:"In times of war, the laws fall silent"

#FreeNSGRojava
Z

Sharania
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Sharania » Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:11 pm

Purpelia wrote:
Sharania wrote:

That's what the South said.

1) That what USA said. But this is apparently is meaningless to you.

2) I take it as "yes".
Time for justice.

BLM
Pigs are treyf

Redsection
Minister

Founded: Jan 03, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Redsection » Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:11 pm

Bah , if you lefties rise up so will the righties . For example the moment any communists try anything ...libertarian , and fascist paramilitary groups will respond. A revolution in a modern united states would be bad for everyone.
[*]National Syndicalist
[*]Soon to join the American Blackshirt Party
[*]Majority European, Native American ancestry, latino heritage
[*]Anti: Globalism , Communism , Nazism, Satanism
[*]Pro: Fascism, Guns Rights, Militias

Daburuetchi
Minister

Founded: Sep 14, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Daburuetchi » Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:14 pm

Sharania wrote:
Daburuetchi wrote:Seriously I don't wanna give Trump the excuse to clamp down yet.

1) He is not a president. Yet

2) Where is your courage? Where is your civic consciousness?

Lol. I'm a communist. I want workers revolution not random acts of violence.

Flarbinia
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 29, 2012
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Flarbinia » Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:15 pm

Rhomaia wrote:
Vassenor wrote:

Republic, I'm afraid, is the key word in that sentence. The United States is not a true democracy, but a federal republic, and as such it's leaders are not decided by popular vote alone. The electoral college, which in itself is an establishment representative of the will of the voters, gave it's votes to Trump. There is little more to be said.

Trump won fair and square. People need to face the fact that you can win the popular vote and still lose the election.
Last edited by Flarbinia on Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

San Poland
Lobbyist

Founded: Mar 28, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby San Poland » Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:16 pm

Sharania wrote:

No, people should rise up against tyrants or if their rights are being taken away. However, Trump won. I am not a Trump supporter, and as disappointed as I am about the outcomes of the whole election, we should not condone people violently protesting against this, or protesting at all. This is how democracy works. The people have chosen Trump, and we need to accept that.

Bhikkustan
Minister

Founded: Oct 12, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Bhikkustan » Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:16 pm

Redsection wrote:

Bah , if you lefties rise up so will the righties . For example the moment any communists try anything ...libertarian , and fascist paramilitary groups will respond. A revolution in a modern united states would be bad for everyone.

We can beat them
Sunni Muslim ۞ Shafi'i Fiqh ۞ Ashari Aqidah ۞ Wasatiyyah
illegible nutrition enthousiast - nomadism or barbarism
Crimea is Russia Ukraine Tatar
~ Free East Turkistan and Palestine ~

Free Missouri
Minister

Founded: Dec 28, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Free Missouri » Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:17 pm

Vassenor wrote:

Ever heard of a Tyranny of the Majority? our system was specifically designed to prevent a Tyranny of the majority taking place. Hence why Hillary lost despite having the popular vote.
Military Whitelist
[spoiler=Isidewith score]http://www.isidewith.com/elections/2016-presidential/933358212
Merry Christmas, Frohe Weihnachten, Zalig Kerstfeest, শুভ বড়দিন, Feliz Navidad, and to all a blessed new year.

“Too much capitalism does not mean too many capitalists, but too few capitalists.”The Uses of Diversity, 1921, GK Chesterton

The Romulan Republic
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby The Romulan Republic » Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:17 pm

Karjin wrote:http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/10316186

"In the face of media, politicians, and GOP primary voters normalizing Trump as a presidential candidate—whatever your personal beliefs regarding violent resistance—there’s an inherent value in forestalling Trump’s normalization. Violent resistance accomplishes this. In spite of this, such resistance is apparently more offensive and unacceptable to societal norms and liberal sensibilities than the nastiness being resisted in the first place."

The title and article speak clearly enough about the authors intent following the results of the election. What are NS' thoughts on this? Is he right, or overreacting?

I despise Trump, and will support almost any legal means of blocking his agenda and removing him from office, but I find the decision of some on the Left to engage in and advocate violence despicable. We do not need two tea parties, one on the Left and one on the Right. We do not need bodies in the streets.
"Our progress in degeneracy appears to me to be pretty rapid. As a nation, we began by declaring that "all men are created equal." We now practically read it "all men are created equal, except negroes" When the Know-Nothings get control, it will read "all men are created equal, except negroes, and foreigners, and Catholics." When it comes to this I should prefer emigrating to some country where they make no pretence of loving liberty -- to Russia, for instance, where despotism can be taken pure, and without the base alloy of hypocracy." - President Abraham Lincoln.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General