NATION

PASSWORD

Should the US switch to popular vote vs. electoral college?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Should the U.S. switch to the popular vote and abandon the electoral college?

Yes
40%
No
42%
I don't care, I'm Canadian.
4%
The U.S. is too much of a burden on the world, make America British again.
15%

Total votes : 980

Libertypendence Park
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 01, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Libertypendence Park » Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:33 am

Calladan wrote:
WhatsamattaU wrote:One of the purposes of the Electoral College is to thwart highly populous states from riding roughshod over smaller states. In the event that no candidate reaches the required states, the election is turned over to the House of Representatives.

Erm - how? Surely if you based it on the popular vote - as in how many votes each candidate got, then it wouldn't matter on the size of the state, because the vote of every single citizen, no matter where they lived, would matter equally.

And surely the Electoral College does the opposite of what you are saying. In that (in this election) the vote of someone in California counted for more than 11 times as much as the vote for someone in Idaho. Which - for a country that prides itself on democracy, and a country that was apparently founded with the words "ALL MEN ARE CREATED EQUAL" is a tad hypocritical and somewhat full of bollocks, if you ask me.

America's political system goes to obscene lengths to protect its minorities, and rightly so.
Guilaza wrote:
Lincolnopolis wrote:We could finally have a television channel covering Disability issues and finally have a growing number of people with disabilities that own and run companies. Finally, I wouldn't have to hear the rude and offensive things from non-disabled people. Yeah, I'd be glad to not have to deal with you.

I have aspergers...

#tolerance

The Serbian Empire
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Serbian Empire » Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:42 am

I believe it should be handled on the Congressional district popular vote level with the 2 senators going for the state's overall popular vote winner.

Libertypendence Park wrote:
The Corparation wrote:Don't kid yourself, with our current luck it's going to be 8.

Who'd the Dems need to nominate in 2020 to ensure a Trump re-election?

It's obvious... Hillary Clinton, Rod Blagojevich, Kwame Kilpatrick, and so on... In other words, anyone with a horrid scandal in their past.
LOVEWHOYOUARE~ WOMAN
Level 12 Myrmidon, Level ⑨ Tsundere, Level ✿ Hold My Flower
Bad Idea Purveyor
8 Values: https://8values.github.io/results.html?e=56.1&d=70.2&g=86.5&s=91.9
Political Compass: Economic -10.00 Authoritarian: -9.13
TG for Facebook if you want to friend me
Marissa, Goddess of Stratospheric Reach
preferred pronouns: Female ones
Primarily lesbian, but pansexual in nature

The East Marches
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 14, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby The East Marches » Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:43 am

The Serbian Empire wrote:I believe it should be handled on the Congressional district popular vote level with the 2 senators going for the state's overall popular vote winner.

It's obvious... Hillary Clinton, Rod Blagojevich, Kwame Kilpatrick, and so on... In other words, anyone with a horrid scandal in their past.

I had a chuckle at the Rod Blagojevich reference. He may have to be the candidate for 2024, he will still be in jail in 2020.
Conserative Morality wrote:Move to a real state bud instead of a third-world country that inexplicably votes in American elections.

Novus America wrote:But yes, I would say the mere existence of Illinois proves this is hell. Chicago the 9th circle.

The Serbian Empire
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby The Serbian Empire » Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:44 am

The East Marches wrote:
The Serbian Empire wrote:I believe it should be handled on the Congressional district popular vote level with the 2 senators going for the state's overall popular vote winner.

I had a chuckle at the Rod Blagojevich reference. He may have to be the candidate for 2024, he will still be in jail in 2020.

Kwame Kilpatrick on the other hand.
LOVEWHOYOUARE~ WOMAN
Bad Idea Purveyor

Arumdaum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 21, 2009
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Arumdaum » Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:47 am

The electoral college does not favor places like CA. At all. In fact, CA is much less represented due to being both a large state (bc regardless it'll always have two senators) and a safe state.
LITERALLY UNLIKE ANY OTHER RP REGION & DON'T REPORT THIS SIG
█████████████████▌TIANDI ____________██____██
_______███▌MAP _______________██_____██_████████
█████████████████▌WIKI _______██______██___██____██
_______████ DISCORD ________██████___██____██______█

____████__████ SIGNUP _________██___████___██____
__████_______████_____________██______██__________██
████____________████_______█████████___███████████

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:51 am

Let's just go with Kanye West or Paris Hilton.

Because at this point, what the hell?
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Ebliania
Minister

Founded: Apr 17, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Ebliania » Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:51 am

Well of course. I'm fucking butthurt.

Grand Britannia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 15, 2012
Capitalizt

Postby Grand Britannia » Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:53 am

Lmao I fucking called it that this would happen.
ଘ( ˘ ᵕ˘)つ----x .*・。゚・ᵕ

The Serbian Empire
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby The Serbian Empire » Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:53 am

Galloism wrote:

Let's just go with Kanye West or Paris Hilton.

Because at this point, what the hell?

Personally, I think Kanye or Paris would be more popular.
LOVEWHOYOUARE~ WOMAN
Bad Idea Purveyor

Timmy City
Minister

Founded: Feb 16, 2012
New York Times Democracy

Postby Timmy City » Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:59 am

They need to nominate someone like Cory Booker.
Hurricane Matthew 2016!

Arumdaum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 21, 2009
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Arumdaum » Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:08 pm

Timmy City wrote:

They need to nominate someone like Cory Booker.

Oh god fucking no that'd just be a repeat of this fucking election
LITERALLY UNLIKE ANY OTHER RP REGION & DON'T REPORT THIS SIG
█████████████████▌TIANDI ____________██____██
_______███▌MAP _______________██_____██_████████
█████████████████▌WIKI _______██______██___██____██
_______████ DISCORD ________██████___██____██______█

____████__████ SIGNUP _________██___████___██____
__████_______████_____________██______██__________██
████____________████_______█████████___███████████

New haven america
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby New haven america » Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:09 pm

Yes.
Human of the male variety
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Conservative Values
Envoy

Founded: Mar 29, 2013
Right-wing Utopia

Postby Conservative Values » Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:10 pm

Just to point out: It is impossible to know if Trump or Clinton would have won in a popular vote system as we don't know how many people in dark red or blue states didn't go to the polls because there wasn't a single competive race by a large margin.

If we were in a different system people would have acted differently and the results would also be different.

Arlenton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 16, 2012
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Arlenton » Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:11 pm

Don't see any reason why they would. The EC is doing it's job quite well.

New haven america
Post Czar

Postby New haven america » Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:12 pm

Murovanka wrote:
Taitung Pinyin wrote:From the current vote tallies, it seems Clinton got more of the popular vote than Trump did. This makes her the 5th candidate in U.S. history to win the popular vote but lose the electoral college. The electoral college is old and is undemocratic in my view, it favours larger states like FL, TX, and CA over smaller states like Utah, Montana, etc. I believe the U.S. should switch to a popular vote mechanism for deciding future presidential elections. It is more democratic and fair.
What do you guys think?

Don't fix something that ain't broke.

Yes it is.

If you looked at the current election, when Hillary conceded she was winning the popular vote, as did All Gore in 2000. The Electoral College has allowed inept dumbasses to beat the popular vote about 5 times now.That''s not a good democratic system.
Last edited by New haven america on Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Stormaen
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 15, 2010
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Stormaen » Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:13 pm

I've suggested the same compromise, but as others have pointed out: if you're reforming the electoral college to reflect popular vote, why not just change it to a popular vote election.
Falklands Forever! “Malvinas” Never!
Free West Papua

Arlenton
Postmaster-General

Postby Arlenton » Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:13 pm

New haven america wrote:
Murovanka wrote:
Don't fix something that ain't broke.

Yes it is.

If you looked at the current election, when Hillary conceded she was winning the popular vote, as did All Gore in 2000. The Electoral College has allowed inept dumbasses to beat the popular vote about 5 times now.That''s not a good day system.

It's not broke, it's doing what it was made to do just fine.

Blackwatch Federation
Secretary

Founded: Nov 12, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Blackwatch Federation » Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:14 pm

No because if we didn't have it we'd have Clinton right now. The electoral vote saved us this time.
This world is plagued with many sicknesses and moronic ideals. I will cleanse it, with fire.

New haven america
Post Czar

Postby New haven america » Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:15 pm

Arlenton wrote:
New haven america wrote:Yes it is.

If you looked at the current election, when Hillary conceded she was winning the popular vote, as did All Gore in 2000. The Electoral College has allowed inept dumbasses to beat the popular vote about 5 times now.That''s not a good day system.

It's not broke, it's doing what it was made to do just fine.

No, it's going against democracy. The popular vote is losing, that's not democratic at all.
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

United Marxist Nations
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby United Marxist Nations » Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:18 pm

The reason we have the electoral college is because we are not a union of individuals, we are a union of states. If we went by the popular vote, then the metro areas and large states could dictate to rural areas who wins. The fact is: the majority of the states would rather have Trump than Hillary, and, on the basis this country was founded, that is what matters.
The Kievan People wrote: United Marxist Nations: A prayer for every soul, a plan for every economy and a waifu for every man. Solid.

Eastern Orthodox Catechumen. Religious communitarian with Sorelian, Marxist, and Traditionalist influences. Sympathies toward Sunni Islam. All flags/avatars are chosen for aesthetic or humor purposes only
An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded.
St. John Chrysostom wrote:A comprehended God is no God.

Arlenton
Postmaster-General

Postby Arlenton » Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:21 pm

New haven america wrote:
Arlenton wrote:It's not broke, it's doing what it was made to do just fine.

No, it's going against democracy. The popular vote is losing, that's not democratic at all.

It was never meant to be that definition of "democratic". It was supposed to balance things out for the less populated states. It has done that.

WhatsamattaU
Minister

Founded: Aug 22, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby WhatsamattaU » Wed Nov 09, 2016 1:16 pm

Calladan wrote:
Erm - how? Surely if you based it on the popular vote - as in how many votes each candidate got, then it wouldn't matter on the size of the state, because the vote of every single citizen, no matter where they lived, would matter equally.

And surely the Electoral College does the opposite of what you are saying. In that (in this election) the vote of someone in California counted for more than 11 times as much as the vote for someone in Idaho. Which - for a country that prides itself on democracy, and a country that was apparently founded with the words "ALL MEN ARE CREATED EQUAL" is a tad hypocritical and somewhat full of bollocks, if you ask me.

America's political system goes to obscene lengths to protect its minorities, and rightly so.

In this case, because the Electoral College also give each state two electors, simply because they are states, as well as elections based on population, it enabled a group of smart states better footing against more populous states.

America is not a direct democracy, but a democratic Republic.

Considering how much of my opinion in an overwhelmingly unbalanced party state, my vote didn't make that much difference.

Finally, do you believe minorities only have rights based on ethnicity, or can a group of people with minority views also be deserving of protections?

The New Peoples of the Nile
Lobbyist

Founded: Aug 21, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby The New Peoples of the Nile » Wed Nov 09, 2016 1:20 pm

Let's remember why we have an electoral college. A.) So little states have a say in the election of the presidency. B.) Because it's a stable vote that takes less time to produce final results. C.) To prevent a tyranny of the majority situation.

WhatsamattaU
Minister

Founded: Aug 22, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby WhatsamattaU » Wed Nov 09, 2016 1:28 pm

The New Peoples of the Nile wrote:Let's remember why we have an electoral college. A.) So little states have a say in the election of the presidency. B.) Because it's a stable vote that takes less time to produce final results. C.) To prevent a tyranny of the majority situation.

Well Said !

Russian Fedration
Bureaucrat

Founded: Feb 08, 2013
Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Russian Fedration » Wed Nov 09, 2016 1:30 pm

Yes. It would be a Accurate Reflection of the Peoples will
Premier of the Galactic Federation of Freeborn Peoples Planets- Konstantin Vanzin
Nations Fall, When Workers Stall
We Use a Mix of NS and Non-NS Stats

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General