NATION

PASSWORD

Is homophobia linked to religion?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Alexanderians
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 03, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Alexanderians » Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:13 am

Fascist Russian Empire wrote:Joseph Stalin and Mao Zedong both made homosexuality a criminal offense, when it had previously been made legal in both Russia (under Lenin) and China (under the Kuomintang). Both of them were militant atheists who attacked religion to no end. Stalin outlawed homosexuality because he thought it would raise birth rates, thus giving the Soviet Union an advantage over the rest of the world. Mao outlawed homosexuality purely because he thought it was a sign of capitalist decadence, because it had been made legal by the Kuomintang.

Atheists are completely capable of hating homosexuality for petty, ridiculous reasons.

Religion is a contributor to anti-homosexual sentiment (Islam, especially, is probably the biggest contributor to anti-homosexual violence in history, with Judaism being another big contributor), but the fact of the matter is that people are going to find excuses to hate groups of people regardless of religious affiliation or lack-thereof. There is not an exclusive link between religion and anti-homosexual sentiment, especially when you consider the fact that Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay, and Colombia, all of which are extremely religious countries, have all made same-sex marriage legal, whereas largely atheist countries like China and North Korea still have no recognition of homosexual unions.

Religious people are completely capable of accepting homosexuality, and irreligious people are completely capable of violently opposing homosexuality.

To be fair the idea that it was western decadence was common among soviet elites too.
Galloism wrote:Or we can go with feminism doesn't exist. We all imagined it. Collectively.
You can't fight the friction
Women belong in the kitchen
Men belong in the kitchen
Everyone belongs in the kitchen
Kitchen has food
I have brought dishonor to my gaming clan
Achesia wrote:Threads like this is why I need to stop coming to NSG....

Marethian Lupanar of Teladre wrote:A bright and cheerful mountain village of chapel-goers~

The Archregimancy wrote:
Hagia Sophia is best church.

Major-Tom wrote:Why am I full of apathy?

I'm just here to be the peanut gallery
уσυ нανєи'т gσт тнє fυℓℓ єffє¢т

Habna
Bureaucrat

Founded: Nov 05, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Habna » Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:22 pm

Benuty wrote:
Habna wrote:
Well that's because the soviets used violence and violence is not the answer,
To irradiate religion we must raise our children to be educated scientific and rational with proper funding.

Irradiate?

You want to expose religious people to radiation?

Do you want to end up on a war crimes tribunal? Because that is how you end up on a war crimes tribunal.

Oh shit! I mean iradicate

Previous

Return to General