NATION

PASSWORD

Classical music - is it too sophisticated for this era?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Kaidou
Senator

Founded: Aug 03, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Kaidou » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:20 pm

Corrian wrote:
Wallenburg wrote:You must not know many people who like classical music. I've been playing classical music for 9 years now, and that's not even remotely close to the average listener's viewpoint. Hell, the most avid classical music fans--classical musicians--tend to love jazz, rock, and all sorts of other music as well.

Classical music purists are really just too stuck on a single genre, and compensate for their total lack of understanding of other genres by pretending that those genres aren't worth listening to at all.

Well, to be more specific, any time I see smugness about one genre, it's classical music fans.

Have you, by any chance, encountered the koreaboo squads?

They'll swarm you and tear you apart the moment you insinuate that EXO autotunes their music.

Lavochkin
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Lavochkin » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:29 pm

Kaidou wrote:
Corrian wrote:Well, to be more specific, any time I see smugness about one genre, it's classical music fans.

They'll swarm you and tear you apart the moment you insinuate that EXO autotunes their music.

Any genre/artist has their own swarm of idiots who would tear you apart as soon as you insult one of their music. It's part of society's growing trend of "suppressing harmful speech".
✫ The Federated States of Lavochkin ✫
✪ Федеративные Штаты Лавочкина ✪
⚜ De av forent stater av Lavochkin ⚜
Из пепла, к звездам
Из пепла, к звездам

Fra asken, til stjernene
Fra asken, til stjernene

Delegate for The Empire of Oppression (62nd largest region and growing!)

We pray for those who have lost a member or a loved one during the tragedies of 2016/2017

Skappola
Minister

Founded: May 12, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Skappola » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:30 pm

I wonder if Gerschwin falls under OP's defintion of complex and sophisticated music.
Political Compass: Economic: 1.63 Social: -6.72
Political Ideology: Neoliberal Civil Libertarian
I Enjoy: Blues, Paradox Games and Sci-fi

Kaidou
Senator

Founded: Aug 03, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Kaidou » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:32 pm

Lavochkin wrote:
Kaidou wrote:

Any genre/artist has their own swarm of idiots who would tear you apart as soon as you insult one of their music. It's part of society's growing trend of "suppressing harmful speech".

Sadly, that's very much true.

Corrian
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 19, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Corrian » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:44 pm

Northwest Slobovia wrote:Fine: lyrics in the vernacular. :P Relatively few Americans speak Latin, Italian, French, or German -- the most common languages of "classical" music -- or enjoy listening to songs they don't understand.

Man, people are boring. Foreign music is great :P. Honestly half the time I prefer NOT to know what the hell is being said. Probably for the better.

Kaidou wrote:Have you, by any chance, encountered the koreaboo squads?

I've seen my fair share of annoying fans everywhere.

Black metal fans that hate anything that isn't the "Darkest of dark recorded on a microwave"

Screaming fangirls for anything like One Direction who tend to be unbearable people.

Progressive rock fans who, like classical fans in some cases, seem to think all progressive rock is good because "being technical automatically makes it good"

Fans of bands that seem to think their bands can do no wrong even when they clearly have gone to shit, and like everything by them solely because it's them (This one annoys me because I listen to things on an album by album basis, no matter what it is, even if its a band I generally love. I can expect good from a band, but doesn't mean I'll like it because it's them)

Ect, ect, ect.
My Last.FM and RYM

Look on the bright side, one day you'll be dead~Street Sects

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Cannot think of a name » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:47 pm

Corrian wrote:By the way, if anyone actually wants to have some modern classical stuff shared, I am open to give recommendations.

Soooo many.

But first, what do you like now? Because modern composition is a pretty broad term just like the colloquial 'Classical' is a pretty broad term that covers harpsichord sonatas and 100 piece romantic orchestras. Short playful pieces and long complicated ones.

Going back to my ramble, you learn to listen to music, so finding something in what you already like to form a bridge to the whole new thing you're going to listen to.

Although it's not a minimalist my list won't be as long...for some reason I wound up really into minimalists. Couldn't really tell you why.
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

Corrian
Khan of Spam

New York Times Democracy

Postby Corrian » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:50 pm

Cannot think of a name wrote:
Corrian wrote:By the way, if anyone actually wants to have some modern classical stuff shared, I am open to give recommendations.

Soooo many.

But first, what do you like now? Because modern composition is a pretty broad term just like the colloquial 'Classical' is a pretty broad term that covers harpsichord sonatas and 100 piece romantic orchestras. Short playful pieces and long complicated ones.

Going back to my ramble, you learn to listen to music, so finding something in what you already like to form a bridge to the whole new thing you're going to listen to.

Although it's not a minimalist my list won't be as long...for some reason I wound up really into minimalists. Couldn't really tell you why.

Everything.

No, really, I listen to a bit of everything. Well, that probably IS a stretch, but I honestly don't care what it is. I deliberately try to expand my horizons.
My Last.FM and RYM

The Conez Imperium
Minister

Founded: Nov 23, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Conez Imperium » Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:02 pm

The 19th Century wrote:Dear Conez Imperium,

Let me see if I understand your position correctly: Our social views are all ignorant and primitive because we're just not enlightened like modern people, but somehow as soon as the discussion turns to music instead of politics or social norms, we're oh-so-much smarter and more sophisticated than anyone alive today?

I'm afraid the logic escapes me.

I am, nonetheless, your humble and obedient servant,
The 19th Century

Whilst it may have been interpreted that I have become elitism and criticsed other music for not having the depth of classical music, I am not making that point. I am simply saying in today fast society, it is too difficult to enjoy classical music.

Classical music has never been too difficult and complex for everyone to enjoy and this has been proven false by history. In the 19th century, classical music was the norm and if a peasant/worker could enjoy classical music, then every in society can.
Salut tout le monde, c'est moi !

The Conez Imperium
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Conez Imperium » Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:22 pm

I feel like the majority of people did not read my thread but instead assumed I am elitest. Ergo, all classical music is best and I am a snob that deserves to be shamed upon. I shall re-word what my OP is and show what the problem is.

That classical music takes too much time to listen to and therefore enjoy in todays society. Todays society has had no prior experience with classical music. Modern society is now more faced paced than ever before where previous forms of entertainment/news are condensed into shorter time frames in order to attract our attention. I don't make the argument, classical music is too intelligent or difficult for the masses as that is disproved by history but that classical music is simply too difficult to be enjoyed in this era.

I think if difficult to enjoy would have been a better title than sophisticated.

Seriously??? Are you addressing my thread or attacking me on a belief I am a classical music snob? Perhaps you are trying to answer my third question but I get the impression you are not.

Cannot think of a name wrote:Lets also allow for the people who don't give a shit. It is a perfectly valid way to interact with music. They aren't less or unsophisticated or any other smug ass bullshit, they are people who expend their energies in different directions who use music at best as a distraction. T'ain't nuthin' wrong with that.

Conserative Morality wrote:Classical music isn't sophisticated. It's insultingly simple and repetitive. Go for Baroque or broke.

Len Hyet wrote:It's music. Who the fuck cares how sophisticated it is? If you like it, listen to it. Music should not be about (and I wish I could make the claim it has never been about) proving a level of intelligence over your contemporaries. Music is about uplifting the soul, about providing a counterpart to emotions that we lack the language to express.

Stop making everything into a pissing contest.

Allet Klar Chefs wrote:I'm sure people more stupid than they thought they were complained about ~simpletons' music~ in the 19th century, too. Get over yourself.

Genivaria wrote:So people who don't care for Classical are just too dull to understand it?
Well isn't that condescending and arrogant, and that's coming from someone who loves some Tchaikovsky.

Wallenburg wrote:Of course not. I love listening to classical music because it has a wealth of great music to draw from. It's often creative and extremely moving. To pretend that it's "too sophisticated" for today is absurd. Tell me, is the theme to Star Wars too sophisticated?

Merizoc wrote:Too difficult for the modern era? You'll have to explain. Difficult to write? Difficult to play? Difficult to listen to? (what) Difficult to understand"? I don't think any of those statements are true.

All I'm getting from the OP is a strong sense of smugness over his music tastes, of all things.

Impireacht wrote:Anyways, no, it's not too "sophisticated", there are recent bands that have crafted songs that were just as advanced. I can play a lot of classical songs myself, and do, but I still wouldn't be able to play Genesis' "A Trick of the Tail" without devoting many, many months to it, and that's progressive rock from the 70s. I too think that modern pop music is unintelligent, and often with little or very shallow meaning, but that doesn't mean that everyone that does enjoy it is unintelligent, or that they don't like your preferred genre because "their minds are too weak to comprehend it."

Corrian wrote:What's with classical music fans and being pretentious about their music being "too complex" for the masses and "You just can't understand it"?. It's really kind of annoying.

Look, I like a ton of complex music, and I get annoyed that everyone just likes watered down pop music as well, but this whole idea of us just not "understanding it" is really annoying. In recent memory, I've never been able to really get into most classical music, besides some modern things really, and it has jack shit to do with not "understanding it". Because I like plenty of complex music that I guarantee many of the arrogant classical music fans wouldn't be able to "understand" or "get" either. I just find it fucking boring.

Tayner wrote:
Wallenburg wrote:You must not know many people who like classical music. I've been playing classical music for 9 years now, and that's not even remotely close to the average listener's viewpoint. Hell, the most avid classical music fans--classical musicians--tend to love jazz, rock, and all sorts of other music as well.

Classical music purists are really just too stuck on a single genre, and compensate for their total lack of understanding of other genres by pretending that those genres aren't worth listening to at all.

This is very true.

1) Do I listen to other genres of music? Yes
2) Do I think other types of music are inferior? No
3) Does this make me a snob? I hope not.

Stagnant Axon Terminal wrote:*gag *
Music is music is music. It follows trends and consumer demands. There is no "This music is better than that music because reasons." Music is literally just sounds that certain people enjoy created by instruments for enjoyment. You don't get to call yourself more "sophisticated" for listening to a 20 minute piano-flute duet written in 1791.

So after reading that wall of text what was the question? In today fast society, it is too difficult to enjoy classical music. Discuss.
Last edited by The Conez Imperium on Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:25 pm, edited 4 times in total.

The Conez Imperium
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Conez Imperium » Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:30 pm

Rhodevus wrote:classical music is great to listen to, but it is in no way more sophisticated than today's music. The sophisticated music we listen to is like the 'greatest hits of the 1400s' (arbitrary date). Anything crappy, we don't listen to and we forget it existed, So of course we think music back then was all very good/sophisticated. Because that is what is remembered. Now look at today. There are plenty of crappy songs, but in the future, many will be forgotten and no longer played. The really good songs will be remembered and will be thought of the classics of our time. Just like classic rock we listen to now is generally considered the best songs of the 60s-80s, and not so much any of the trash songs, which everybody forgets were a thing as well.

I also love classical music and it is great to study to

That is an interesting point you raise in that some other songs can be just as complex and naunced as classical music. The question that strikes me is why people can understand more musical depth in back in black but when hearing a Chopin waltz "minute" it sounds like piano to them? Both have good melodies/riffs.

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:31 pm

Corrian wrote:
Cannot think of a name wrote:Soooo many.

Everything.

No, really, I listen to a bit of everything. Well, that probably IS a stretch, but I honestly don't care what it is. I deliberately try to expand my horizons.

Here's the thing...everyone thinks that.

And they're not lying. Not really. But they're also not seeing the thread in their music tastes. Genre is only a road sign but it's not the map. This is why you don't put in 'rock' or 'bluegrass' in Pandora but a sample of the shit you like. Not that an algorithm is perfect or that I'd run an algorithm, but that's the idea.

I used to do this all the time. Back in my record store days I took that collection of prog rockers and punks and goths and ravers and I had them all listening to jazz and classical works they wouldn't have considered by recognizing elements in the things they like and finding them something familiar in a genre or artist they hadn't originally considered. By the time record stores stopped being a thing (well, ours) they were all fans. Which unfortunately meant I started having to fight for promos, but that's a different story.
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:34 pm

The Conez Imperium wrote:I feel like the majority of people did not read my thread but instead assumed I am elitest. Ergo, all classical music is best and I am a snob that deserves to be shamed upon. I shall re-word what my OP is and show what the problem is.

That classical music takes too much time to listen to and therefore enjoy in todays society. Todays society has had no prior experience with classical music. Modern society is now more faced paced than ever before where previous forms of entertainment/news are condensed into shorter time frames in order to attract our attention. I don't make the argument, classical music is too intelligent or difficult for the masses as that is disproved by history but that classical music is simply too difficult to be enjoyed in this era.

I think if difficult to enjoy would have been a better title than sophisticated.

Seriously??? Are you addressing my thread or attacking me on a belief I am a classical music snob? Perhaps you are trying to answer my third question but I get the impression you are not.

Cannot think of a name wrote:Lets also allow for the people who don't give a shit. It is a perfectly valid way to interact with music. They aren't less or unsophisticated or any other smug ass bullshit, they are people who expend their energies in different directions who use music at best as a distraction. T'ain't nuthin' wrong with that.

Conserative Morality wrote:Classical music isn't sophisticated. It's insultingly simple and repetitive. Go for Baroque or broke.

Len Hyet wrote:It's music. Who the fuck cares how sophisticated it is? If you like it, listen to it. Music should not be about (and I wish I could make the claim it has never been about) proving a level of intelligence over your contemporaries. Music is about uplifting the soul, about providing a counterpart to emotions that we lack the language to express.

Stop making everything into a pissing contest.

Allet Klar Chefs wrote:I'm sure people more stupid than they thought they were complained about ~simpletons' music~ in the 19th century, too. Get over yourself.

Genivaria wrote:So people who don't care for Classical are just too dull to understand it?
Well isn't that condescending and arrogant, and that's coming from someone who loves some Tchaikovsky.

Wallenburg wrote:Of course not. I love listening to classical music because it has a wealth of great music to draw from. It's often creative and extremely moving. To pretend that it's "too sophisticated" for today is absurd. Tell me, is the theme to Star Wars too sophisticated?

Merizoc wrote:Too difficult for the modern era? You'll have to explain. Difficult to write? Difficult to play? Difficult to listen to? (what) Difficult to understand"? I don't think any of those statements are true.

All I'm getting from the OP is a strong sense of smugness over his music tastes, of all things.

Impireacht wrote:Anyways, no, it's not too "sophisticated", there are recent bands that have crafted songs that were just as advanced. I can play a lot of classical songs myself, and do, but I still wouldn't be able to play Genesis' "A Trick of the Tail" without devoting many, many months to it, and that's progressive rock from the 70s. I too think that modern pop music is unintelligent, and often with little or very shallow meaning, but that doesn't mean that everyone that does enjoy it is unintelligent, or that they don't like your preferred genre because "their minds are too weak to comprehend it."

Corrian wrote:What's with classical music fans and being pretentious about their music being "too complex" for the masses and "You just can't understand it"?. It's really kind of annoying.

Look, I like a ton of complex music, and I get annoyed that everyone just likes watered down pop music as well, but this whole idea of us just not "understanding it" is really annoying. In recent memory, I've never been able to really get into most classical music, besides some modern things really, and it has jack shit to do with not "understanding it". Because I like plenty of complex music that I guarantee many of the arrogant classical music fans wouldn't be able to "understand" or "get" either. I just find it fucking boring.

Tayner wrote:This is very true.

1) Do I listen to other genres of music? Yes
2) Do I think other types of music are inferior? No
3) Does this make me a snob? I hope not.

So after reading that wall of text what was the question? In today fast society, it is too difficult to enjoy classical music. Discuss.

The question carries an implied premise that's visible from space. That's why you're getting shit.

Wallenburg
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 30, 2015
Democratic Socialists

Postby Wallenburg » Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:36 pm

The Conez Imperium wrote:That is an interesting point you raise in that some other songs can be just as complex and naunced as classical music. The question that strikes me is why people can understand more musical depth in back in black but when hearing a Chopin waltz "minute" it sounds like piano to them? Both have good melodies/riffs.

If a Chopin minute doesn't sound like a piano to someone, either the piano is fucked up, or their ears are. :p

In all seriousness, it's mostly a preference for genre. I don't care for dubstep, and I'd rather listen to a squeaky clarinet than some two-bit country singer. For some people, they just don't like classical, and so when they hear it, they don't bother to listen past the instrumentation.
While she had no regrets about throwing the lever to douse her husband's mistress in molten gold, Blanche did feel a pang of conscience for the innocent bystanders whose proximity had caused them to suffer gilt by association.

King of Snark, Real Piece of Work, Metabolizer of Oxygen, Old Man from The East Pacific, by the Malevolence of Her Infinite Terribleness Catherine Gratwick the Sole and True Claimant to the Bears Armed Vacancy, Protector of the Realm

The Conez Imperium
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Conez Imperium » Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:36 pm

I like the music in star wars. It fits perfectly with the adventure, hero narrative saving the galaxy.

I think that your comment illuminates another side to why classical music is not enjoyed in todays society. Because it lacks context. I think everyone loves star wars main theme, or the theme of darth vader as they can associate it to the feelings they see in the star wars movie.

But in classical music? It's a shame that they don't teach context. On the other hand, why can people listen to starships which probably has no meaning other than it was intended to be a fun song but can't listen to an equivalent fun and meaningless song in classical music?

Wallenburg
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 30, 2015
Democratic Socialists

Postby Wallenburg » Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:41 pm

The Conez Imperium wrote:

I like the music in star wars. It fits perfectly with the adventure, hero narrative saving the galaxy.

I think that your comment illuminates another side to why classical music is not enjoyed in todays society. Because it lacks context. I think everyone loves star wars main theme, or the theme of darth vader as they can associate it to the feelings they see in the star wars movie. But in classical music? It's a shame that they don't teach context.

Well, after a few centuries, if a piece of music did have any significant context, it often falls victim to time. I mean, any classical music listener knows the story behind the 1812 Overture or Holst's Planets, but less famous pieces with less context will lose that sort of depth.
On the other hand, why can people listen to starships which probably has no meaning other than it was intended to be a fun song but can't listen to an equivalent fun and meaningless song in classical music?

I certainly do. Again, classical music just isn't everyone's cup of tea.
While she had no regrets about throwing the lever to douse her husband's mistress in molten gold, Blanche did feel a pang of conscience for the innocent bystanders whose proximity had caused them to suffer gilt by association.

King of Snark, Real Piece of Work, Metabolizer of Oxygen, Old Man from The East Pacific, by the Malevolence of Her Infinite Terribleness Catherine Gratwick the Sole and True Claimant to the Bears Armed Vacancy, Protector of the Realm

Cill Airne
Post Marshal

Founded: Jul 28, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Cill Airne » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:33 pm

Music of the common practice period (from the 1500's onward, including Classical Music, which is from about 1750 to 1820) is about all I listen too - from Choral music like Thomas Tallis' Lamentations of Jeremiah and Vaughan Williams' The Song of the Tree of Life to classical pieces like Edvard Grieg's Peer Gynt Suite No.1 and Georges Bizet's Prelude from L'Arlesienne Suite No. 1 to contemporary classical pieces such as John Luther Adams' Inuksuit and Saed Haddad's Que la lumière soit. I will admit, however, the Baroque period (1600 to 1750) is my favourite period of music out of the common practice period. Music such as Jean-Féry Rebel's Le Cahos, Arcangelo Corelli's Allegro Pastorale and George Frideric Handel's La Réjouissance all came out of this period.

Now, in regards to the OP's claims that the music is too long, too sophisticated for today's listener's, I would have to disagree. Widening the scope to all common practice period music (since, typically, people mean common practice when they say classical and not just the period of 1750-1820) you have to take into account that it was never the "common" form of music that was "popular". It was, ultimately, the music of concert halls and venues, the music of those who could afford to listen to it, with a few rare exceptions (there was a Russian Nobleman in the 19th century whom I can't remember who had a concert hall built to put on concerts for everyone, not just Russia's elite as he felt music should be enjoyed by all). The vast majority of people were listening to what would have been at the time the "pop music" of the day - what we'd now call traditional folk songs. I would argue more people listen to common practice music today than during these periods because it is more readily available. All I have to do is go to the music app on my phone. A century or more ago I would have had to wait for a concert to be put on, pay and listen just that one evening - or if I was wealthy enough, put on a private concert in my own home.

Ultimately, however, while I find it pleasing, other's don't. To me "pop music" is absolutely ghastly today, but my brother-in-law loves it. Do you know how he describes my music? Absolutely ghastly. So, while more people do listen to common practice pieces today than historically likely, more people also know that they do not like it and choose not listen to it. Music tastes vary, and that's okay. That is an absolutely beautiful and integral part of music.

Now, in regards to your note, "Note: I understand that classical music is just a collection of musical eras like romantic, baroque, classical." This is not quite correct either - classical music refers to the music of 1750-1820ish. However, what most people mean by classical music is the common practice period, which includes periods such as the romantic, baroque, classical, contemporary classical, etc.
Anglican
Avid reader

To dare is to lose one’s footing momentarily. Not to dare is to lose oneself.

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:44 pm

Cill Airne wrote:
Now, in regards to your note, "Note: I understand that classical music is just a collection of musical eras like romantic, baroque, classical." This is not quite correct either - classical music refers to the music of 1750-1820ish. However, what most people mean by classical music is the common practice period, which includes periods such as the romantic, baroque, classical, contemporary classical, etc.

It was only a matter of time...

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Founded: Mar 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:48 pm

To be fair, I go out of my way to find baroque music, either modern or one of the classics.

I really hate Beethoven and much of his slower music.

Then again, I don't really like sluggish music period. Brings a drag to my day.
Last edited by Soldati Senza Confini on Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Soldati senza confini: Better than an iPod in shuffle more with 20,000 songs.
Tekania wrote:Welcome to NSG, where informed opinions get to bump-heads with ignorant ideology under the pretense of an equal footing.

"When it’s a choice of putting food on the table, or thinking about your morals, it’s easier to say you’d think about your morals, but only if you’ve never faced that decision." - Anastasia Richardson

Current Goal: Flesh out nation factbook.

Cill Airne
Post Marshal

Founded: Jul 28, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Cill Airne » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:49 pm

Cannot think of a name wrote:
Cill Airne wrote:

It was only a matter of time...

Until? :eyebrow:
Anglican
Avid reader

To dare is to lose one’s footing momentarily. Not to dare is to lose oneself.

Solborg
Lobbyist

Founded: Oct 19, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Solborg » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:52 pm

The Conez Imperium wrote:The question I pose to you is that, do you listen to classical music? Not a once in a while listen to Moonlight sonata but a serious attempt?

If so, why did you listen to classical music?

Yes. I play the piano and I tend to enjoy more romantic era music, especially Chopin. Specifically for the piano, I don't really like pieces that are super dramatic and just contain so many notes that you wouldn't be able to tell if one was missed. I like listening to it because it is easier to concentrate on work while listening, and I just prefer the sort of feelings from classical music over modern music. I can't really explain specifically since it's mostly just a matter of preference.
Founder and Delegate of Norden

Political Compass: (-0.5, -4)

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:56 pm

Solborg wrote:
The Conez Imperium wrote:The question I pose to you is that, do you listen to classical music? Not a once in a while listen to Moonlight sonata but a serious attempt?

If so, why did you listen to classical music?

Yes. I play the piano and I tend to enjoy more romantic era music, especially Chopin. Specifically for the piano, I don't really like pieces that are super dramatic and just contain so many notes that you wouldn't be able to tell if one was missed. I like listening to it because it is easier to concentrate on work while listening, and I just prefer the sort of feelings from classical music over modern music. I can't really explain specifically since it's mostly just a matter of preference.

I grew up with electronica because my mom loved it so much, so for the most part the switch from modern to classical had to go through a lot of listening classical tunes.

I feel comfortable with music with a normal or upbeat tempo, or with a lot of notes to fill in the spaces. Slow tempos are, to me, a bore.

What's the point of this? I think most of our musical preferences is learned since childhood. If you grow up with slow music, it actually is soothing for you or intellectually engaging, the opposite being true of course. Doesn't really matter the era or the style of music presented, but rather, we learn how to associate certain beats to certain moods.
Last edited by Soldati Senza Confini on Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Tekania wrote:Welcome to NSG, where informed opinions get to bump-heads with ignorant ideology under the pretense of an equal footing.

"When it’s a choice of putting food on the table, or thinking about your morals, it’s easier to say you’d think about your morals, but only if you’ve never faced that decision." - Anastasia Richardson

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:10 pm

San Jose Guayabal wrote:Pardon my typoes, I'm not a native English speaker.

To start with, I like classical music and I've heard it usually since I was a child but stopped to listen it since four or five years ago, it's something that I want to recover since my taste for "modern pop music" is decreasing back to levels that I showed when I was eight years old.

What do I think about people who likes classical music? I respect them, since they are usually people that has a good analythical capacity, knows how to interpretate reality and is usually a greatly informed person.

I like classical music, but I would never touch some of the stuff that passes as "classical" for normal listening, especially for study music.

My library is overwhelmingly punk rock, electronica, classic rock, rap, jazz, hip hop, contemporary guitar/violin/piano, "world", acid house, and other types of "acid" music in general, and videogame soundtracks for that purpose, and a lot of lounge and elevator music for easy listening/relaxation/night music.

I have a lick or two of classical music, but they're not particularly common in my library, and they're only for that particular indulgence when I want to listen something different.

I also don't think classical music has anything to do with "good analytical capacity", given that music that triggers you to focus might not be the same as others, and in fact if we saw our library preferences I'm pretty sure they aren't even among two people.
Last edited by Soldati Senza Confini on Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:14 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Corrian
Khan of Spam

New York Times Democracy

Postby Corrian » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:23 pm

I wasn't attacking, I was observing in general what I have seen.

Cannot think of a name wrote:Here's the thing...everyone thinks that.

And they're not lying. Not really. But they're also not seeing the thread in their music tastes. Genre is only a road sign but it's not the map. This is why you don't put in 'rock' or 'bluegrass' in Pandora but a sample of the shit you like. Not that an algorithm is perfect or that I'd run an algorithm, but that's the idea.

I used to do this all the time. Back in my record store days I took that collection of prog rockers and punks and goths and ravers and I had them all listening to jazz and classical works they wouldn't have considered by recognizing elements in the things they like and finding them something familiar in a genre or artist they hadn't originally considered. By the time record stores stopped being a thing (well, ours) they were all fans. Which unfortunately meant I started having to fight for promos, but that's a different story.

I do listen to quite a lot, though. It's not even thinking it, I literally have a huge variety on my Spotify.
My Last.FM and RYM

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:32 pm

Corrian wrote:I wasn't attacking, I was observing in general what I have seen.

Cannot think of a name wrote:Here's the thing...everyone thinks that.

I do listen to quite a lot, though. It's not even thinking it, I literally have a huge variety on my Spotify.

I have to ask, is there anything about your library that seems like it is a common theme across your genres?

The Grim Reaper
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 08, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Grim Reaper » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:50 pm

I'm generally considered reasonably well-positioned as a classical fan. I played classical bass for five years with the Simandl method, to a concerto-level of technique. I listen regularly to 103.5, Melbourne's classical music statiion. I've arranged part of Schindler's List for double bass, I've played to Muse on double bass, I've accompanied Lord of the Dance on double bass, I've played the melody to the opening theme of Undertale on piano, I sat in on my school choir's rehearsal of Baba Yetu.

Classical arrangement, polyphony, melody and harmony, are not dead arts. I did my time as a church sound engineer, and I can assure you that it is not music's fault that music producers can't be fucked using what musicians are giving them - even pop musicians.

We live in a fast-paced modern world, one that has three to four minutes to spend on one thing or another. This isn't the 16th century where we spend two hours listening to a symphony with friends, clapping at will. No! This is the 20th century, where you shut up and let classical musicians remind you they're better than you, (thanks to elitist bullshit running entirely contrary to the works of the great composers)!

The renaissance of classical music shall come when it is not classic anymore. When we can have themes like Baba Yetu and Schindler's List that are accompanied by emotion, rather than elitism. Because someday, Tchaikovsky will be more than something to have in the background again.

Can you really blame people for not listening to something they're told they aren't worthy to talk about?

Classical music can be relevant - it must be, if it is to survive as an artform. Good art does not rely on simple virtuosity - otherwise, flight of the bumblebee would be all the rage. It must speak to the heart, and classical music used to, until it was co-opted by people who wanted to use it as a handbag instead of as music.
Last edited by The Grim Reaper on Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If I can't play bass, I don't want to be part of your revolution.
Melbourne, Australia

A & Ω

Is "not a blood diamond" a high enough bar for a wedding ring? Artificial gemstones are better-looking, more ethical, and made out of PURE SCIENCE™.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General