NATION

PASSWORD

Superstitions and legends.

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

JuNii
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 22, 2004
Ex-Nation

Re: Superstitions and legends.

Postby JuNii » Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:57 am

there's a cave in Maui where, on nights of the full moon, the lake in the cave turns red. Legends talk of young lovers who met at the cave for a tryst. however, one day, the Alii's guards found them and they were put to death. (she was to be the Alii's bride)

and yes, at times, the waters do turn red. Due to the red shrimp that spawn there.
:blink:
Last edited by JuNii on Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
on the other hand... I have another set of fingers.

Unscramble these words...1) PNEIS. 2)HTIELR 3) NGGERI 4) BUTTSXE
1) SPINE. 2) LITHER 3)GINGER 4)SUBTEXT

Brutanion
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 11, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Brutanion » Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:18 am

I was required by a Polish girl I knew to enter her flat first on the New Year because a man must enter a house first or it is bad luck.
I also soaked her on May Day, which is supposed to be lucky (one of those May Day fertility rituals).

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Founded: Feb 10, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:35 am

Kelewann wrote:There are so many snow legends lol, like throwing ice at a tree to make it snow, putting ice in the toilet, spoon under the pillow of the bed.

Spoon under the pillow? That one's new to me.

Is it true the Irish never let the fire of the peat stove die? And that if one does that, the life of the house leaves?
Slava Ukraini
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

Kelewann
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 08, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Kelewann » Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:11 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Kelewann wrote:There are so many snow legends lol, like throwing ice at a tree to make it snow, putting ice in the toilet, spoon under the pillow of the bed.

Spoon under the pillow? That one's new to me.

Is it true the Irish never let the fire of the peat stove die? And that if one does that, the life of the house leaves?

I am not sure about both on those sorry :(....but about the snow thing, your also supposed to wear your cloths when you go to bed backwards
"I come in peace. I didnt bring artillery. But im pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, i'll kill you all" - Marine General James Mattis to Iraqi Leaders
DEFCON
[1] [2] [3] [4] [5]
reason: At peace

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:44 pm

Kelewann wrote:I am not sure about both on those sorry :(....but about the snow thing, your also supposed to wear your cloths when you go to bed backwards

No worries. I guess the Irish have tons of legends and superstitions and you just can't know them all. ;)
Slava Ukraini
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs

No Names Left Damn It
Minister

Founded: Oct 27, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby No Names Left Damn It » Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:51 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:No worries. I guess the Irish have tons of legends and superstitions and you just can't know them all. ;)

Celtic people seem to be the most spiritual and superstitious in Europe. Wonder why.
Original join date March 25th 2008, bitches!
Economic Left/Right: 1.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.12

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:52 pm

No Names Left Damn It wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:No worries. I guess the Irish have tons of legends and superstitions and you just can't know them all. ;)

Celtic people seem to be the most spiritual and superstitious in Europe. Wonder why.

Tell me about it. Asturias has Celtic influence. We're highly superstitious.
Slava Ukraini

Kelewann
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Kelewann » Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:56 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Kelewann wrote:I am not sure about both on those sorry :(....but about the snow thing, your also supposed to wear your cloths when you go to bed backwards

No worries. I guess the Irish have tons of legends and superstitions and you just can't know them all. ;)

... I tried to look it up but couldnt find anything :(...only something about a book. I did find this though http://www.luminarium.org/mythology/ireland/ :)
Last edited by Kelewann on Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I come in peace. I didnt bring artillery. But im pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, i'll kill you all" - Marine General James Mattis to Iraqi Leaders
DEFCON
[1] [2] [3] [4] [5]

No Names Left Damn It
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby No Names Left Damn It » Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:58 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:Tell me about it. Asturias has Celtic influence. We're highly superstitious.

I noticed when I was there a few years ago. There were bagpipes, and what looked like traditional Scottish outfits. I was bastante confused at first. Wasn't sure if I was in the right country.

Brutanion
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Brutanion » Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:58 pm

I'd suggest because Roman power didn't destroy their priesthood.

Most of the Celtic traditions had this process:
Celtic Priests
Killed off/Romanised
Roman priests
Christianised
Christianity

Local belief/superstitions/folk tales was lost into Roman mythology and then Christianity fairly quickly.

Irish had this:
Celtic Priests
Meet the Romans, have a chat, stay in contact but don't form an official relationship
Time passes
Christians come
Christianity

Local belief is by now too far entrenched; the more mutable ancient national ideals have become too solid to be easily lost.

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:59 pm

Kelewann wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

... I tried to look it up but couldnt find anything :(...only something about a book. I did find this though http://www.luminarium.org/mythology/ireland/

Oh man, thank you! :) It has tons of links on information I will really look into. Irish and Celtic lore in general, including music and literature is something I absolutely adore. I remember those 2 weeks I spent in Co. Donegal, Anagaire town. I want to go back! :blush:
Slava Ukraini

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:01 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:Tell me about it. Asturias has Celtic influence. We're highly superstitious.

I noticed when I was there a few years ago. There were bagpipes, and what looked like traditional Scottish outfits. I was bastante confused at first. Wasn't sure if I was in the right country.

Ah, the ''gaiterus''. I miss them. This year I was away from the San Mateu festival. :(
Slava Ukraini

No Names Left Damn It
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby No Names Left Damn It » Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:04 pm

Brutanion wrote:I'd suggest because Roman power didn't destroy their priesthood.

You what? The Druid religious equivalent of Rome or Mecca or Jerusalem or wherever was destroyed by the Romans and the Druids massacred in 58 AD, or somewhere round then.

Kelewann
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Kelewann » Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:05 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
No Names Left Damn It wrote:Tell me about it. Asturias has Celtic influence. We're highly superstitious.

lol
DEFCON
[1] [2] [3] [4] [5]

Brutanion
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Brutanion » Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:08 pm

Brutanion wrote:I'd suggest because Roman power didn't destroy their priesthood.

You what? The Druid religious equivalent of Rome or Mecca or Jerusalem or wherever was destroyed by the Romans and the Druids massacred in 58 AD, or somewhere round then.

But not in Ireland.
Hence their pre-Roman culture survived.
The Druids (from what we actually know about them that isn't based on Roman bogeymen) weren't the sole priests, nor were they universal anyway.

No Names Left Damn It
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby No Names Left Damn It » Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:13 pm

Brutanion wrote:But not in Ireland.
The Druids (from what we actually know about them that isn't based on Roman bogeymen) weren't the sole priests, nor were they universal anyway.

Right, but the Welsh are all superstitious and shit, and their religious leaders were slaughtered by the Romans, and then the populace was converted to Christianity.

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 11, 2004
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:17 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:NNLDI, take it to Moderation. I wouldn't mind those posts been cropped from this thread. I am really really trying to keep it ON TOPIC. ;)

He isn't flaming or trolling, so what need would I have to take it to moderation? I will not stand for being lied about, particularly about such a serious issue.

In order for something to be a 'lie', it has to be untrue.

If you don't want people to tell you you're being some kind of bigot, don't be a bigot.
I identify as
a problem

Brutanion
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Brutanion » Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:21 pm

Brutanion wrote:But not in Ireland.

Right, but the Welsh are all superstitious and shit, and their religious leaders were slaughtered by the Romans, and then the populace was converted to Christianity.

That only suggests that Romanisation doesn't kill off all traditions (assuming said traditions or mindset to be pre-Roman). This is clearly true as many traditions remain.
However, the apparent magnitude of superstition in Ireland suggests that their deviant history from the European norm has had some effect. Consider the tribes of Africa, or the Indian civilisation, or Japan. All these are on a par in superstitions and legends with Ireland and also never met the Romans. As such, it seems that Roman pragmatism has an obvious effect on local culture.

No Names Left Damn It
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby No Names Left Damn It » Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:22 pm

Grave_n_idle wrote:In order for something to be a 'lie', it has to be untrue.

If you don't want people to tell you you're being some kind of bigot, don't be a bigot.

You also implied I was a "racist asshole". I'm not. That was a lie.

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:23 pm

Grave_n_idle wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:NNLDI, take it to Moderation. I wouldn't mind those posts been cropped from this thread. I am really really trying to keep it ON TOPIC. ;)

He isn't flaming or trolling, so what need would I have to take it to moderation? I will not stand for being lied about, particularly about such a serious issue.

Gravy-san, onegai shimasu. Don't add more wood to the fire. If you two have something to complain about, once again, take it to Moderation or TG each other.
Slava Ukraini

No Names Left Damn It
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby No Names Left Damn It » Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:23 pm

Brutanion wrote:That only suggests that Romanisation doesn't kill off all traditions (assuming said traditions or mindset to be pre-Roman). This is clearly true as many traditions remain.
However, the apparent magnitude of superstition in Ireland suggests that their deviant history from the European norm has had some effect. Consider the tribes of Africa, or the Indian civilisation, or Japan. All these are on a par in superstitions and legends with Ireland and also never met the Romans. As such, it seems that Roman pragmatism has an obvious effect on local culture.

But again, as I said, the Welsh are superstitious as well, and were conquered by the Romans.

Kelewann
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Kelewann » Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:24 pm

a supersition is about the number of pages are in this thread :) the lucky or unlucky 13
DEFCON
[1] [2] [3] [4] [5]

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 11, 2004
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:27 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Grave_n_idle wrote:
No Names Left Damn It wrote:He isn't flaming or trolling, so what need would I have to take it to moderation? I will not stand for being lied about, particularly about such a serious issue.

Gravy-san, onegai shimasu. Don't add more wood to the fire. If you two have something to complain about, once again, take it to Moderation or TG each other.

I ignored most of it, Nana-chan. I've been leaving the thread alone, since then.

But then NNLDI decided to claim I was lying. Apparently he thinks that his earlier posts will mysteriously disappear or something. I don't care to listen to his constant whining about how his racism against Muslims isn't racism because although he hates all of them, he doesn't do it on a race by race basis. I don't want to hear him whining about how his racist jokes against the Welsh are okay because he's got Welsh ancestors. I really have no interest.

I find the topic of superstition and legend interesting, but I find NNLDI's behaviour tedious and offensive. At the moment, unfortunately - that's winning.
I identify as
a problem

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:28 pm

Grave_n_idle wrote:I ignored most of it, Nana-chan. I've been leaving the thread alone, since then.

But then NNLDI decided to claim I was lying. Apparently he thinks that his earlier posts will mysteriously disappear or something. I don't care to listen to his constant whining about how his racism against Muslims isn't racism because although he hates all of them, he doesn't do it on a race by race basis. I don't want to hear him whining about how his racist jokes against the Welsh are okay because he's got Welsh ancestors. I really have no interest.

I find the topic of superstition and legend interesting, but I find NNLDI's behaviour tedious and offensive. At the moment, unfortunately - that's winning.

I understand both points, GnI. All I'm asking is that if you need to say something to each other, do so where it pertains to.
Slava Ukraini

Brutanion
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Brutanion » Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:30 pm

Brutanion wrote:That only suggests that Romanisation doesn't kill off all traditions (assuming said traditions or mindset to be pre-Roman). This is clearly true as many traditions remain.

But again, as I said, the Welsh are superstitious as well, and were conquered by the Romans.

But they are less superstitious than the Irish from what I understand of them.
Although Wales wasn't as Romanised as South East England by a long way. The villas in Wales were very poor in comparison.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General