NATION

PASSWORD

"Political Correctness" Hypocrisy

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Shofercia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 22, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Shofercia » Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:24 pm

Unpredictable Galaxy wrote:The US Presidential Election has been a battle for "non-political correctness" on the Republican side, regardless of Donald Trump. What is frustrating to me, as someone on the left, is that this "non-political correctness" is being used to to be offensive and derogatory towards groups they dislike. If the left calls them out on it (like they have for Trump repeatedly), they deflect it by saying "telling it like it is" or "that's the state we're in." However, if the left were to use the same offensive and derogatory language towards things they hated, the left would be ridiculed for being rude and offensive and thus be discredited.

How could you even argue that something is "politically correct?" Is attacking those you dislike in an rude manner a good thing on the right because it's "not politically correct?" And why is it that if the left attempts what the right do, they get sandblasted and are discredited?

I bring this up because, as someone who is on the left, if I were to attack a Republican for their views (and admittedly, I have), I'm labeled as rude and offensive on the right, while someone could do the same to me and wouldn't be argued with about being rude and offensive. It is wrong to have outbursts and to attack anybody based on any of their beliefs, yes, and I'm not attempting to justify my wrongdoings of attacking people; this is more of a realization of learning from my mistakes and it feels frustrating.

What is everyone else's thoughts? Is there a hypocritical bias in the right when it comes to who uses "non-political correctness?" And how would you define "political correctness?" I'd like to have more viewpoints because I feel conflicted on how I'm supposed to view this, to be honest.

If the left was going to be discredited for being rude and offensive, that would've happened a long, long, long time ago:

"Secretary Clinton, say something nice about Donald Trump..."
"yeah, fuck that, I'm going to say something nice about the five people that are not Donald Trump!"

"Mr. Trump, say something nice about Secretary Clinton..."
"yeah, fuck that, she's just really tenacious in her stupidity and corruption, but she's tenacious, that's nice, right?"

Have you seen how rude Jon Oliver gets to people not born in the US when talking about their countries? The left is rude and not politically correct either. Saying otherwise is a myth. Political correctness isn't something that applies to politics, it's something that applies to the workplace, where it's considered ok to punish someone for not being politically correct. But if you're working in politics, ironically, let your mouth run wild and you'll be fine. You might even be a presidential candidate.
Come, learn about Russian Culture! Bring Vodka and Ushanka. Interested in Slavic Culture? Fill this out.
Stonk Power! (North) Kosovo is (a de facto part of) Serbia and Crimea is (a de facto part of) Russia
I used pronouns until the mods made using wrong pronouns warnable, so I use names instead; if you see malice there, that's entirely on you, and if pronouns are no longer warnable, I'll go back to using them

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jun 21, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:14 pm

Shofercia wrote:
Unpredictable Galaxy wrote:The US Presidential Election has been a battle for "non-political correctness" on the Republican side, regardless of Donald Trump. What is frustrating to me, as someone on the left, is that this "non-political correctness" is being used to to be offensive and derogatory towards groups they dislike. If the left calls them out on it (like they have for Trump repeatedly), they deflect it by saying "telling it like it is" or "that's the state we're in." However, if the left were to use the same offensive and derogatory language towards things they hated, the left would be ridiculed for being rude and offensive and thus be discredited.

How could you even argue that something is "politically correct?" Is attacking those you dislike in an rude manner a good thing on the right because it's "not politically correct?" And why is it that if the left attempts what the right do, they get sandblasted and are discredited?

I bring this up because, as someone who is on the left, if I were to attack a Republican for their views (and admittedly, I have), I'm labeled as rude and offensive on the right, while someone could do the same to me and wouldn't be argued with about being rude and offensive. It is wrong to have outbursts and to attack anybody based on any of their beliefs, yes, and I'm not attempting to justify my wrongdoings of attacking people; this is more of a realization of learning from my mistakes and it feels frustrating.

What is everyone else's thoughts? Is there a hypocritical bias in the right when it comes to who uses "non-political correctness?" And how would you define "political correctness?" I'd like to have more viewpoints because I feel conflicted on how I'm supposed to view this, to be honest.

If the left was going to be discredited for being rude and offensive, that would've happened a long, long, long time ago:

"yeah, fuck that, I'm going to say something nice about the five people that are not Donald Trump!"

"yeah, fuck that, she's just really tenacious in her stupidity and corruption, but she's tenacious, that's nice, right?"

Have you seen how rude Jon Oliver gets to people not born in the US when talking about their countries? The left is rude and not politically correct either. Saying otherwise is a myth. Political correctness isn't something that applies to politics, it's something that applies to the workplace, where it's considered ok to punish someone for not being politically correct. But if you're working in politics, ironically, let your mouth run wild and you'll be fine. You might even be a presidential candidate.

*** Warned For All X Are Y Trolling ***

Ashlak
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 29, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Ashlak » Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:23 pm

"Political correctness", in my view, is less what you think, and more about how you react to other people's thoughts.

A far left communist who genuinely believes in free speech ain't PC, a far right conservative who demands censorship is PC.
I am a girl of the transgender variety

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 15, 2014
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:21 pm

Trump is on the right side.

The doctrine of Political Correctness has been wielded by the Democrats and their allies for far too long. Its about time people spoke the truth.

I'm hoping for a Trump victory.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:22 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:Trump is on the right side.

The doctrine of Political Correctness has been wielded by the Democrats and their allies for far too long. Its about time people spoke the truth.

Because what we need to do is find someone who repeatedly abuses positions of authority for personal gain to the detriment of the people who gave him that authority, and make him president.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

Founded: Oct 01, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:23 pm

So why is Trump so interested in suppressing the "truth" when it comes to people talking about him?
If you want to call me by a nickname, call me Gon...or NS Batman.
Mod stuff: One Stop Rules Shop | Reppy's Sig Workshop | Getting Help Request
Just A Little though

Norstal
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 07, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:26 pm

Shofercia wrote:

You know Jon Oliver is a humorist right? This is a false equivalence.

Also you just reiterated his point, so I'm not sure what your argument is. I mean that is his point, that a certain presidential candidate from the right can run wild and not face any consequences (within their party), while the other candidate have to be really careful.
Toronto Sun wrote:Best poster ever. ★★★★★

New York Times wrote:No one can beat him in debates. 5/5.

IGN wrote:Literally the best game I've ever played. 10/10

NSG Public wrote:What a fucking douchebag.

Supreme Chairman for Life of the Itty Bitty Kitty Committee

Crockerland
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 15, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Crockerland » Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:30 pm

Galloism wrote:

Because what we need to do is find someone who repeatedly abuses positions of authority for personal gain to the detriment of the people who gave him that authority, and make him president.

Given the alternative, yes, we do.
Free Taiwan, Hong Kong, and Tibet.
Gay not Queer / Why Abortion is Genocide / End Gay Erasure
PROUD SUPPORTER OF:
National Liberalism, Nuclear & Geothermal Power, GMOs, Vaccines, Biodiesel, LGBTIA equality, Universal Healthcare, Universal Basic Income, Constitutional Carry, Emotional Support Twinks, Right to Life

Arumbia67
Diplomat

Founded: May 20, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Arumbia67 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:31 pm

Gauthier wrote:The side howling about political correctness the most is also the one most easily triggered and demanding safe spaces when Hillary accurately calls out part of their base as deplorable.

Trump has infected the Republican Party with projectionitis.

Yeah It's Republicans that scream about been triggered because someone's name was written on the sidewalk, or blocked all the exits at an event, and threatened to attack anyone who tried to leave because they didn't like the guest speaker. Oh wait.
When people say Bernie Sanders could win the presidency- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_n5E7feJHw0
"Patriotism means supporting your country all the time, and your Government when it deserves it"-Mark Twain

Master Shake
Minister

Founded: May 15, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Master Shake » Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:33 pm

I never thought I would ever agree with you, but here we are.
Only one Hungary. Only one Homeland!

Economic Left/Right: -2.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.15

I hate you all equally

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Founded: Mar 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:33 pm

Arumbia67 wrote:
Gauthier wrote:The side howling about political correctness the most is also the one most easily triggered and demanding safe spaces when Hillary accurately calls out part of their base as deplorable.

Trump has infected the Republican Party with projectionitis.

Yeah It's Republicans that scream about been triggered because someone's name was written on the sidewalk, or blocked all the exits at an event, and threatened to attack anyone who tried to leave because they didn't like the guest speaker. Oh wait.

You mean the same type of people who go and try to show up at a Mosque with guns just to be outgunned and then moan about the people who outgunned them? Or the people that got pissy because their event got cancelled? Or those who go "don't criticize the president! That's un-American and I won't stand for un-American traitors!"

Oh wait, I wasn't supposed to say that. Oops.
Last edited by Soldati Senza Confini on Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Soldati senza confini: Better than an iPod in shuffle more with 20,000 songs.
Tekania wrote:Welcome to NSG, where informed opinions get to bump-heads with ignorant ideology under the pretense of an equal footing.

"When it’s a choice of putting food on the table, or thinking about your morals, it’s easier to say you’d think about your morals, but only if you’ve never faced that decision." - Anastasia Richardson

Current Goal: Flesh out nation factbook.

Arumbia67
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Arumbia67 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:33 pm

Ashlak wrote:"Political correctness", in my view, is less what you think, and more about how you react to other people's thoughts.

A far left communist who genuinely believes in free speech ain't PC, a far right conservative who demands censorship is PC.

Generally neither believe in free speech, they'll just cry about it whenever someone they agree with get's criticized. Kap anybody?
When people say Bernie Sanders could win the presidency- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_n5E7feJHw0
"Patriotism means supporting your country all the time, and your Government when it deserves it"-Mark Twain

Arumbia67
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Arumbia67 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:39 pm

Soldati Senza Confini wrote:
Arumbia67 wrote:Yeah It's Republicans that scream about been triggered because someone's name was written on the sidewalk, or blocked all the exits at an event, and threatened to attack anyone who tried to leave because they didn't like the guest speaker. Oh wait.

You mean the same type of people who go and try to show up at a Mosque with guns just to be outgunned and then moan about the people who outgunned them?

Did they actually threaten violence, or just show up? Also let me know when Conservative college students start screaming that the phrase "you guys" is a micro aggression. Or throw tantrums and claim that costumes put them into physical pain. Speaking of that video, I'm impressed how calm the university president remained. I would of been pretty intimated to be surrounded by a crowd like that, especially if one was inches from my face half screaming at me.

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Founded: Mar 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:43 pm

Arumbia67 wrote:
You mean the same type of people who go and try to show up at a Mosque with guns just to be outgunned and then moan about the people who outgunned them?

Did they actually threaten violence, or just show up? Also let me know when Conservative college students start screaming that the phrase "you guys" is a micro aggression. Or throw tantrums and claim that costumes put them into physical pain. Speaking of that video, I'm impressed how calm the university president remained. I would of been pretty intimated to be surrounded by a crowd like that, especially if one was inches from my face half screaming at me.

What do you think?

And for the record, let me know when Liberals get offended by the word "fuck" being pronounced in public. Or throw tantrums and claim that criticism is just stifling their freedom of speech. Or claim that banning them from Twitter is abridging their freedom of speech.

For every example of Liberals making complaints about trivial matters, there are similar examples of Conservatives whining about trivial matters. One side goes "look! I am so offended by this!" and the other side goes "Oh yea! I think your example is shit, but let me find a shittier example, and whine about it because I think they're wrong!"

What am I getting at? That both sides have their idiots who are hypersensitive idiots. It's not just liberals who are guilty of it.
Last edited by Soldati Senza Confini on Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Soldati senza confini: Better than an iPod in shuffle more with 20,000 songs.
Tekania wrote:Welcome to NSG, where informed opinions get to bump-heads with ignorant ideology under the pretense of an equal footing.

"When it’s a choice of putting food on the table, or thinking about your morals, it’s easier to say you’d think about your morals, but only if you’ve never faced that decision." - Anastasia Richardson

Current Goal: Flesh out nation factbook.

Twilight Imperium
Minister

Founded: May 19, 2013

Postby Twilight Imperium » Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:48 pm

Norstal wrote:Also you just reiterated his point, so I'm not sure what your argument is. I mean that is his point, that a certain presidential candidate from the right can run wild and not face any consequences (within their party), while the other candidate have to be really careful.

What are they supposed to do to him though? Make him not the candidate anymore? They tried that. Too much of their base is really keen on what he's selling, and they can't oust him without losing them.

Arumbia67
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Arumbia67 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:48 pm

Arumbia67 wrote:Did they actually threaten violence, or just show up? Also let me know when Conservative college students start screaming that the phrase "you guys" is a micro aggression. Or throw tantrums and claim that costumes put them into physical pain. Speaking of that video, I'm impressed how calm the university president remained. I would of been pretty intimated to be surrounded by a crowd like that, especially if one was inches from my face half screaming at me.

What do you think?

And for the record, let me know when Liberals get offended by the word "fuck" being pronounced in public. Or throw tantrums and claim that criticism is just stifling their freedom of speech. Or claim that banning them from Twitter is abridging their freedom of speech.

For every example of Liberals making complaints about trivial matters, there are similar examples of Conservatives whining about trivial matters.
Last edited by Arumbia67 on Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Transoxthraxia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 19, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Transoxthraxia » Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:50 pm

political correctness perpetuates racism. If you have to ask why, you're a part of the problem. GG.

[/thread]
Where must we go, we who wander this wasteland, in search for our better selves?
In Egypt's sandy silence, all alone,
Stands a gigantic Leg, which far off throws
The only shadow that the Desert knows:—
"I am great OZYMANDIAS," saith the stone,
"The King of Kings; this mighty City shows
"The wonders of my hand." The City's gone,
Nought but the Leg remaining to disclose
The site of this forgotten Babylon.

We wonder, and some Hunter may express
Wonder like ours, when thro' the wilderness
Where London stood, holding the Wolf in chace,
He meets some fragment huge, and stops to guess
What powerful but unrecorded race
Once dwelt in that annihilated place.
The Nuclear Fist wrote:Transoxthraxia confirmed for shit taste

Arumbia67
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Arumbia67 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:50 pm

Arumbia67 wrote:
What do you think?

For every example of Liberals making complaints about trivial matters, there are similar examples of Conservatives whining about trivial matters.

That's pretty much been the entire argument during the Kapernick fiasco. Either that or if you disagree with him It's because you're a racist and don't care about the murder of Black civilians. Funny how many of them weren't so concerned about free speech when Tebow was expressing his views on the field. In fact, many of them same people threw a huge hissy fit when a Muslim player was flagged under the rule they insisted on. Open mouth insert foot. But yeah both are pretty bad about it.
Last edited by Arumbia67 on Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Twilight Imperium
Minister

Postby Twilight Imperium » Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:03 am

Transoxthraxia wrote:political correctness perpetuates racism. If you have to ask why, you're a part of the problem. GG.

[/thread]

why

Senkaku
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 01, 2012
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Senkaku » Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:08 am

Soldati Senza Confini wrote:That both sides have their idiots who are hypersensitive idiots. It's not just liberals who are guilty of it.

Hypersensitive idiots, like gravitational fields, are present everywhere in the universe.
Biden-Santos Thought cadre

Shofercia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 22, 2008

Postby Shofercia » Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:04 am

Norstal wrote:
Shofercia wrote:

You know Jon Oliver is a humorist right? This is a false equivalence.

Also you just reiterated his point, so I'm not sure what your argument is. I mean that is his point, that a certain presidential candidate from the right can run wild and not face any consequences (within their party), while the other candidate have to be really careful.

I live in California. You know how many ads I get that are very rude, on both sides of the spectrum? The Democrat candidate lost my vote for running an ad that said "Trump bad, Republicans bad, Trump Republican", even though the Republican he was running against had nothing to do with Trump. Actually I was going to vote for the Republican guy anyways, cause the Democratic candidate wanted to mess with property taxes. Not smart. Oh, and I liked the Republican guy's stance on various issues. Anyways, as far as presidential candidates go, they're both being incredibly rude to one another another. So no, it's not reiterating the OPs point. As far as Oliver's concerned, I like a humorist who doesn't pander to Netflix. If I want extreme, yet humorous, liberal bias, there's Bill Maher.

Soldati Senza Confini wrote:And for the record, let me know when Liberals get offended by the word "fuck" being pronounced in public. Or throw tantrums and claim that criticism is just stifling their freedom of speech. Or claim that banning them from Twitter is abridging their freedom of speech.

For every example of Liberals making complaints about trivial matters, there are similar examples of Conservatives whining about trivial matters. One side goes "look! I am so offended by this!" and the other side goes "Oh yea! I think your example is shit, but let me find a shittier example, and whine about it because I think they're wrong!"

What am I getting at? That both sides have their idiots who are hypersensitive idiots. It's not just liberals who are guilty of it.

See, now there's a post that I complete agree with :hug:
Come, learn about Russian Culture! Bring Vodka and Ushanka. Interested in Slavic Culture? Fill this out.
Stonk Power! (North) Kosovo is (a de facto part of) Serbia and Crimea is (a de facto part of) Russia
I used pronouns until the mods made using wrong pronouns warnable, so I use names instead; if you see malice there, that's entirely on you, and if pronouns are no longer warnable, I'll go back to using them

Razgriskm
Envoy

Founded: Apr 06, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Razgriskm » Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:32 am

Maybe conservatives wouldn't be up in arms in your country if university in California didn't offer "Black only" dorms or if racist was used as some sort of banner and the actual meaning being forgotten to the ages past when people owned a dictionary at home.

Norstal
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 07, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:01 am

Twilight Imperium wrote:
Norstal wrote:Also you just reiterated his point, so I'm not sure what your argument is. I mean that is his point, that a certain presidential candidate from the right can run wild and not face any consequences (within their party), while the other candidate have to be really careful.

What are they supposed to do to him though? Make him not the candidate anymore? They tried that. Too much of their base is really keen on what he's selling, and they can't oust him without losing them.

They could start by not being so damn hyperbolic in their media as if it's the end of the world every time. Or is that still too much to ask?
Toronto Sun wrote:Best poster ever. ★★★★★

New York Times wrote:No one can beat him in debates. 5/5.

IGN wrote:Literally the best game I've ever played. 10/10

NSG Public wrote:What a fucking douchebag.

Supreme Chairman for Life of the Itty Bitty Kitty Committee

The Confederacy of Nationalism
Minister

Founded: Sep 05, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Confederacy of Nationalism » Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:09 am

Neutraligon wrote:
The Hoosier Alliance wrote:The right doesn't like real political correctness. Not calling Islamic terror Islamic, SJWs crying things are offensive, or people saying that if you don't like Hillary you are sexist. Politically correct means you go out of your way to not offend people even if it is true, such as shutting down anyone who questions the BLM movement or Islam.

So why the outcry from Trump supporters when Hillary called Trump supporters "deplorable"

Because insulting voters is political suicide, I find it hard to believe you couldn't figure that out yourself.
Keep right -->
Don't give in to degeneracy,

My honor, my dignity, my pride above my life. No regrets.
American Ultranationalist
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" - Voltaire / "If you want to shine like the sun, first you have to burn like it!" - Adolf Hitler
Resident Social Darwinist

Twilight Imperium
Minister

Postby Twilight Imperium » Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:34 am

Norstal wrote:
Twilight Imperium wrote:

They could start by not being so damn hyperbolic in their media as if it's the end of the world every time. Or is that still too much to ask?

Apparently so :meh:

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General