NATION

PASSWORD

"Political Correctness" Hypocrisy

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Unpredictable Galaxy
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Feb 16, 2016
Ex-Nation

"Political Correctness" Hypocrisy

Postby Unpredictable Galaxy » Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:20 am

The US Presidential Election has been a battle for "non-political correctness" on the Republican side, regardless of Donald Trump. What is frustrating to me, as someone on the left, is that this "non-political correctness" is being used to to be offensive and derogatory towards groups they dislike. If the left calls them out on it (like they have for Trump repeatedly), they deflect it by saying "telling it like it is" or "that's the state we're in." However, if the left were to use the same offensive and derogatory language towards things they hated, the left would be ridiculed for being rude and offensive and thus be discredited.

How could you even argue that something is "politically correct?" Is attacking those you dislike in an rude manner a good thing on the right because it's "not politically correct?" And why is it that if the left attempts what the right do, they get sandblasted and are discredited?

I bring this up because, as someone who is on the left, if I were to attack a Republican for their views (and admittedly, I have), I'm labeled as rude and offensive on the right, while someone could do the same to me and wouldn't be argued with about being rude and offensive. It is wrong to have outbursts and to attack anybody based on any of their beliefs, yes, and I'm not attempting to justify my wrongdoings of attacking people; this is more of a realization of learning from my mistakes and it feels frustrating.

What is everyone else's thoughts? Is there a hypocritical bias in the right when it comes to who uses "non-political correctness?" And how would you define "political correctness?" I'd like to have more viewpoints because I feel conflicted on how I'm supposed to view this, to be honest.
Want to know just what is going on with our nation? Check out our delightful FactBook!

Proud Bernie Sanders and Hillary Clinton supporter.

REPEAL THE SECOND AMENDMENT!

Gauthier
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:23 am

The side howling about political correctness the most is also the one most easily triggered and demanding safe spaces when Hillary accurately calls out part of their base as deplorable.

Trump has infected the Republican Party with projectionitis.
Crimes committed by Muslims will be a pan-Islamic plot and proof of Islam's inherent evil. On the other hand crimes committed by non-Muslims will merely be the acts of loners who do not represent their belief system at all.
The probability of one's participation in homosexual acts is directly proportional to one's public disdain and disgust for homosexuals.
If a political figure makes an accusation of wrongdoing without evidence, odds are probable that the accuser or an associate thereof has in fact committed the very same act, possibly to a worse degree.
Where is your God-Emperor now?

Unpredictable Galaxy
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Unpredictable Galaxy » Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:28 am

Gauthier wrote:The side howling about political correctness the most is also the one most easily triggered and demanding safe spaces when Hillary accurately calls out part of their base as deplorable.

Yes, this is exactly how I feel. It's infuriating and impossible for those on the right to understand their wrongdoings in some circumstances, i.e. Benghazi and E-Mail hearings.
Want to know just what is going on with our nation? Check out our delightful FactBook!

The United Colonies of Earth
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 01, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The United Colonies of Earth » Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:52 am

Gauthier wrote:The side howling about political correctness the most is also the one most easily triggered and demanding safe spaces when Hillary accurately calls out part of their base as deplorable.

Better start eating dem freedom fries for MURICA mister! :p
The United Colonies of Earth exists:
to bring about the settlement of all planets not yet inhabited by a sapient species within this Galaxy and Universe by the Human Race, or all members of the species Homo sapiens;
to ensure the observation and protection of the rights of all human beings;
to defend humankind from invasion, catastrophe, fraud and violence;
to represent the interests of humankind to the other governments of the Galaxy;
to facilitate the perpetuation of the unity of human civilization and infrastructure between otherwise self-governing colonies;
and to promote technological advancement and scientific discovery for the perpetuation and expansion of the unity and empowerment of all human beings.
E Stēllīs Lībertās

The Hoosier Alliance
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 17, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby The Hoosier Alliance » Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:56 am

The right doesn't like real political correctness. Not calling Islamic terror Islamic, SJWs crying things are offensive, or people saying that if you don't like Hillary you are sexist. Politically correct means you go out of your way to not offend people even if it is true, such as shutting down anyone who questions the BLM movement or Islam.
Last edited by The Hoosier Alliance on Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery
- Thomas Jefferson
What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms
- Thomas Jefferson
Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it
-Mark Twain
They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety
- Benjamin Franklin
To disarm the people is the most effectual way to enslave them
-George Mason
I ask who are the militia? They consist now of the whole people.
-George Mason

AtlantisB
Attaché

Founded: Oct 11, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby AtlantisB » Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:01 pm

Hear I see why I should swear eternal hostility against Unpredictable Galaxy, an all-out Communist in "progressive" disguise. If he supports Red Bern and the Hillwitch he is a sordid traitor and rotten enemy of America, period, and he proves that by seeking to repeal the Second Amendment at a time when America requires an armed populace to rise in armed revolt.

By the way, I loathe both Adolf Hitler Trump and Bill's whore. I support the Libertarian Gary Johnson as America's only chance and the only President for the Founders' America.

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

Founded: Oct 01, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:05 pm

The Hoosier Alliance wrote:The right doesn't like real political correctness. Not calling Islamic terror Islamic, SJWs crying things are offensive, or people saying that if you don't like Hillary you are sexist. Politically correct means you go out of your way to not offend people even if it is true, such as shutting down anyone who questions the BLM movement or Islam.

So why the outcry from Trump supporters when Hillary called Trump supporters "deplorable"
If you want to call me by a nickname, call me Gon...or NS Batman.
Mod stuff: One Stop Rules Shop | Reppy's Sig Workshop | Getting Help Request
Just A Little though

The Holy Empire of the Spaghetti Monster
Minister

Founded: Nov 24, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby The Holy Empire of the Spaghetti Monster » Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:05 pm

AtlantisB wrote:Hear I see why I should swear eternal hostility against Unpredictable Galaxy, an all-out Communist in "progressive" disguise. If he supports Red Bern and the Hillwitch he is a sordid traitor and rotten enemy of America, period, and he proves that by seeking to repeal the Second Amendment at a time when America requires an armed populace to rise in armed revolt.

By the way, I loathe both Adolf Hitler Trump and Bill's whore. I support the Libertarian Gary Johnson as America's only chance and the only President for the Founders' America.

...Raptor Jesus Christ, man.
WE ARE NOT SAPIENT SPAGHETTI

Do not mistake me for a contributor to your political threads. I have come solely to mock.
Tsaraine wrote:Nazis aren't known for their smarts. You don't adhere to an ideology that got flattened under a T-34 in 1945 if you're full of sparks and opportunities in life.
Caelestiam wrote:...wait,
Are we seriously in a dick measuring contest over who has the right to declare law by virtue of the most innocent dead?
Sounds horrible and insensitive.
Proceed.
Ethel mermania wrote:
The Emerald Dawn wrote:One does not simply own one's own body. Not when the GOP can shove its trunk up inside you.

It will be yuge, and you will like it.

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

Founded: Oct 01, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:06 pm

AtlantisB wrote:Hear I see why I should swear eternal hostility against Unpredictable Galaxy, an all-out Communist in "progressive" disguise. If he supports Red Bern and the Hillwitch he is a sordid traitor and rotten enemy of America, period, and he proves that by seeking to repeal the Second Amendment at a time when America requires an armed populace to rise in armed revolt.

Political nicknaming as you did here is not permitted on this site. Please learn the rules. Oh also...mind defining communism.
Last edited by Neutraligon on Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.
If you want to call me by a nickname, call me Gon...or NS Batman.
Mod stuff: One Stop Rules Shop | Reppy's Sig Workshop | Getting Help Request
Just A Little though

Trumpostan
Minister

Founded: Sep 12, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Trumpostan » Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:11 pm

Unpredictable Galaxy wrote:The US Presidential Election has been a battle for "non-political correctness" on the Republican side, regardless of Donald Trump. What is frustrating to me, as someone on the left, is that this "non-political correctness" is being used to to be offensive and derogatory towards groups they dislike. If the left calls them out on it (like they have for Trump repeatedly), they deflect it by saying "telling it like it is" or "that's the state we're in." However, if the left were to use the same offensive and derogatory language towards things they hated, the left would be ridiculed for being rude and offensive and thus be discredited.

How could you even argue that something is "politically correct?" Is attacking those you dislike in an rude manner a good thing on the right because it's "not politically correct?" And why is it that if the left attempts what the right do, they get sandblasted and are discredited?

I bring this up because, as someone who is on the left, if I were to attack a Republican for their views (and admittedly, I have), I'm labeled as rude and offensive on the right, while someone could do the same to me and wouldn't be argued with about being rude and offensive. It is wrong to have outbursts and to attack anybody based on any of their beliefs, yes, and I'm not attempting to justify my wrongdoings of attacking people; this is more of a realization of learning from my mistakes and it feels frustrating.

What is everyone else's thoughts? Is there a hypocritical bias in the right when it comes to who uses "non-political correctness?" And how would you define "political correctness?" I'd like to have more viewpoints because I feel conflicted on how I'm supposed to view this, to be honest.

The hypocrisy is staggeringly YUUGE. It makes me think IOKIYAR is really a thing. Wanting to attack Bill Clinton for things they claim happened in the 1980s and 90s is perfectly OK, but Trump who likely has been far worse in terms of adultery and abuse (trial pending in december) should not be questioned about stuff that happened 11-12 years ago.

It was the same thinking behind GOP outrage at Dems suggesting the disappearance of millions of e-mails between 2004 and 2007 should be investigated, deploringly declaring that such partisan attacks on a president when we are at "war" was unpatriotic. Those mails were deleted by Karl Rove and co to destroy evidence that might have been used to shed light on the war crimes W and Cheney. And look what happens now with Hillary's e-mails.

Reagan treasonously undercuts Carter in 1980 (as did Nixon to LBJ in 1968): no problemo. But what if they ever found out that Obama told Iraq to hold out for a better deal under him? They'd still be talking about treason today.

The GOP demonstrates the bully mentality, they can dish it out (claiming that criticism is "political correctness") but they can't take it, then they go crying to their corporate or media friends claiming that the nasty liberal media is persecuting them.
I do not support Donald J. Trump
Inverted Flag Law: US Code Title 4 Section 8 Paragraph (a): The flag should never be displayed with the union down, except as a signal of dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life or property.
The United States of America has been in a state of dire distress since November 8, 2016. Flying the flag upside down is not only our right, it is our duty!
Make Maine Massachusetts again!

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Founded: Mar 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:30 pm

I have to agree that the right does have some degree of hypocrisy among its members.

While I think the term "political correctness" is silly (because, really, all it means is "don't be a dick" and having manners), many on the right tend to cry about the same things they do to their political opponents.

But then that's politics for you.
Soldati senza confini: Better than an iPod in shuffle more with 20,000 songs.
Tekania wrote:Welcome to NSG, where informed opinions get to bump-heads with ignorant ideology under the pretense of an equal footing.

"When it’s a choice of putting food on the table, or thinking about your morals, it’s easier to say you’d think about your morals, but only if you’ve never faced that decision." - Anastasia Richardson

Current Goal: Flesh out nation factbook.

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jun 21, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:42 pm

*** Warned For Flaming And Political Nicknaming ***. The rules apply to you. Read them.

The Serbian Empire
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Serbian Empire » Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:48 pm

Neutraligon wrote:
The Hoosier Alliance wrote:The right doesn't like real political correctness. Not calling Islamic terror Islamic, SJWs crying things are offensive, or people saying that if you don't like Hillary you are sexist. Politically correct means you go out of your way to not offend people even if it is true, such as shutting down anyone who questions the BLM movement or Islam.

So why the outcry from Trump supporters when Hillary called Trump supporters "deplorable"

Because people who cast the stones oft live in glass houses?
LOVEWHOYOUARE~ WOMAN
Level 12 Myrmidon, Level ⑨ Tsundere, Level ✿ Hold My Flower
Bad Idea Purveyor
8 Values: https://8values.github.io/results.html?e=56.1&d=70.2&g=86.5&s=91.9
Political Compass: Economic -10.00 Authoritarian: -9.13
TG for Facebook if you want to friend me
Marissa, Goddess of Stratospheric Reach
preferred pronouns: Female ones
Primarily lesbian, but pansexual in nature

Trumpostan
Minister

Founded: Sep 12, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Trumpostan » Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:52 pm

The Founders' America is an America with slavery, and only white male landowners can vote. As George Carlin once said, they founders were a bunch of slaveholders who wanted to be free, they were stunningly arrogant.

No thank you.
I do not support Donald J. Trump
Inverted Flag Law: US Code Title 4 Section 8 Paragraph (a): The flag should never be displayed with the union down, except as a signal of dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life or property.
The United States of America has been in a state of dire distress since November 8, 2016. Flying the flag upside down is not only our right, it is our duty!
Make Maine Massachusetts again!

Gate 49
Political Columnist

Founded: Sep 16, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Gate 49 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:02 pm

It's absolutely hypocritical. Political correctness is really just basic respect and decency, to insult someone and then call them out when they respond in kind under the guise of "telling it like it is" is simply circular reasoning.

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:03 pm

Why do I feel that we have had this conversation before?
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Unpredictable Galaxy
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Unpredictable Galaxy » Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:04 pm

Dakini
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Dakini » Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:06 pm

Soldati Senza Confini wrote:I have to agree that the right does have some degree of hypocrisy among its members.

While I think the term "political correctness" is silly (because, really, all it means is "don't be a dick" and having manners), many on the right tend to cry about the same things they do to their political opponents.

But then that's politics for you.

It's funny. My parents will whinge about political correctness, but as soon as I drop an f-bomb in their presence, they're super pissed that I would use such language.

Grenartia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 14, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:08 pm

Actually, political correctness is a myth created by the right-wing to shut down discussion of things they don't like without actually addressing them. Ironically (and hypocritically), creating their own brand of what is and is not politically correct to say.
Lib-left. Antifascist, antitankie, anti-capitalist, anti-imperialist (including the imperialism of non-western countries). Christian (Unitarian Universalist). Background in physics.
Mostly a girl. She or they pronouns, please. Unrepentant transbian.
Reject tradition, embrace modernity.
People who call themselves based NEVER are.
The truth about kids transitioning.

Dakini
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Dakini » Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:08 pm

AtlantisB wrote:Bill's whore.

Woah. What in the ever-loving-fuck?

Seriously, what the fuck is wrong with you? Is every woman who has sex with a man his whore? Even if she's married to him?

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:09 pm

Complaints about 'political correctness' 90% of the time are just people crying about their uneducated and bigoted statements being debunked.

Grenartia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 14, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:11 pm

Dakini wrote:
AtlantisB wrote:Bill's whore.

Woah. What in the ever-loving-fuck?

Seriously, what the fuck is wrong with you? Is every woman who has sex with a man his whore? Even if she's married to him?

No. Only if she's a leftie. :roll:
Lib-left. Antifascist, antitankie, anti-capitalist, anti-imperialist (including the imperialism of non-western countries). Christian (Unitarian Universalist). Background in physics.
Mostly a girl. She or they pronouns, please. Unrepentant transbian.
Reject tradition, embrace modernity.
People who call themselves based NEVER are.
The truth about kids transitioning.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:19 pm

AtlantisB is not the topic.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Dakini
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Dakini » Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:21 pm

Grenartia wrote:
Dakini wrote:Woah. What in the ever-loving-fuck?

No. Only if she's a leftie. :roll:

It's just absolutely dumbfounding.

Like, even calling sex workers "whores" is crude and referring to a sex worker as "some dude's whore" is some objectifying bullshit. Calling a woman who is married to some dude his whore is just...

Words fail me.

edit: Did not see the post before this one prior to posting.
Last edited by Dakini on Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unpredictable Galaxy
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Unpredictable Galaxy » Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:26 pm

Farnhamia wrote:AtlantisB is not the topic.

Sorry! Let me divert it with a comment:

I'm actually surprised that people agree with me on this statement. And I do especially agree with this:
Soldati Senza Confini wrote:While I think the term "political correctness" is silly (because, really, all it means is "don't be a dick" and having manners),

But since "Political Correctness" is in the mill of conversations, it's best to discuss it. Even my dentist said she hates all this political correctness, and I just thought to myself "Isn't that just an excuse to be mean to people?"

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General