NATION

PASSWORD

* NSG PEACE PRIZE 2016 (Seventh Edition) *

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

User avatar
Socialist Nordia
Senator
 
Posts: 4275
Founded: Jun 03, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Socialist Nordia » Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:37 pm

Great Kauthar wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:Putin? For a peace prize?! Besides Duterte has already been nominated

Unlikely someone else will support Putin, so I support the nomination of Duterte.

What has he done to deserve an NS peace prize?
Last edited by Socialist Nordia on Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Internationalist Progressive Anarcho-Communist
I guess I'm a girl now.
Science > Your Beliefs
Trump did 11/9, never forget
Free Catalonia
My Political Test Results
A democratic socialist nation located on a small island in the Pacific. We are heavily urbanised, besides our thriving national parks. Our culture is influenced by both Scandinavia and China.
Our Embassy Program

User avatar
Outer Sparta
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 13977
Founded: Dec 26, 2014
Democratic Socialists

Postby Outer Sparta » Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:39 pm

Outer Sparta wrote:
Napkiraly wrote:I second this nomination.

Thirded.

OK, since Colombia's peace has failed, I'll cancel this nomination.
I don't stand with Ukraine. I don't stand with Russia. I don't stand with the US, NATO, or EU. I stand with the innocent civilians being caught in the crossfire while the politicians, the media, and weapons manufacturers continue to stoke division and conflict in their geopolitical chess games and treat the people of Ukraine as mere pawns. Zelensky is a corrupt, opportunist oligarchic politician who is not fit to lead Ukraine through anything and wants to inflate his own ego and offshore accounts.

User avatar
Washington Resistance Army
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 52116
Founded: Aug 08, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby Washington Resistance Army » Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:43 pm

Socialist Nordia wrote:
Great Kauthar wrote:Unlikely someone else will support Putin, so I support the nomination of Duterte.

What has he done to deserve an NS peace prize?


Be an authoritarian fucknut who sponsors extrajudicial killings, duh.
Socialist, Pagan, Gun Manufacturer

User avatar
New Dukaine
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1002
Founded: Feb 16, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby New Dukaine » Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:45 pm

I will nominate Justin Trudeau because he is the only world leader that hasn't made their country fall into chaos.

Also, he is a really, really good leader, and has lead Canada really well so far. I personally wish he was our president in the US, but that's not the point. He is also the son of one of the best prime ministers of Canada, Pierre Trudeau. He has influential and widely accepted beliefs. I think he is fit to receive a nomination.
Last edited by New Dukaine on Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Liberal Socialist leaning Democracy of New Dukaine

Former Grey Warden
For RP, New Dukaine is a Modern-Tech nation.
PLEASE, CALL ME NuDu
Participated: Baptism of fire 62, World Cup 75, Australian Football Cup 1
Hosted: Australian Football Cup 1
Ambassador to all branches of the WA is Pama Umoja.
Proud author of GA Resolution 376, Pesticide Regulations

User avatar
Outer Sparta
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 13977
Founded: Dec 26, 2014
Democratic Socialists

Postby Outer Sparta » Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:56 pm

New Dukaine wrote:I will nominate Justin Trudeau because he is the only world leader that hasn't made their country fall into chaos.

Also, he is a really, really good leader, and has lead Canada really well so far. I personally wish he was our president in the US, but that's not the point. He is also the son of one of the best prime ministers of Canada, Pierre Trudeau. He has influential and widely accepted beliefs. I think he is fit to receive a nomination.

Since I have an available nomination, I'll second this.
I don't stand with Ukraine. I don't stand with Russia. I don't stand with the US, NATO, or EU. I stand with the innocent civilians being caught in the crossfire while the politicians, the media, and weapons manufacturers continue to stoke division and conflict in their geopolitical chess games and treat the people of Ukraine as mere pawns. Zelensky is a corrupt, opportunist oligarchic politician who is not fit to lead Ukraine through anything and wants to inflate his own ego and offshore accounts.

User avatar
Neutraligon
Game Moderator
 
Posts: 39320
Founded: Oct 01, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:11 pm

Dread Lady Nathicana wrote:It's a sad sort of situation when you have a hard time thinking of organizations who are actually actively, and legitimately, working towards peace out there in the world. We have a number of groups loudly protesting, or flag-waving, or shouting about this, that, or the other problem, but I wouldn't quite categorize their efforts as either peaceful, or encouraging peace. Some have been mentioned here already, others have not.

I cannot, for reasons I would hope might be obvious, list any American political personages. Those operating under the delusion that anything most of these people are doing is for the greater good, for selfless reasons, or for any actual peace, may need to re-examine things minus the rose-colored glasses. (That's just an opinion, mind you. Not pointing fingers at anyone in particular.)

Doctors Without Borders continues to be an organization that does what it can to help those least able to help themselves, and usually, the least responsible for the horrible things going on in the worst areas of the world - the innocent bystanders, the civilians who don't know where to turn, what to do, and who are caught between two or more warring factions, and invariably, being the ones paying the ultimate price for it. That said, they've been nominated and won already.

Perhaps a spin on that, then -the doctors, nurses, and others who are working in the underground hospitals and other such places in Aleppo, primarily, and other targeted cities this past year. The people who have been attempting, without sufficient water, power, tools, medicine, without sanitary conditions, and under threat of, or actual bombardment, still valiantly attempting to do what they can to save lives.

The people doing brain surgery on blood-soaked floors in the middle of recovery rooms because there is no other option. The people working feverishly to remove ball bearings from the spines, brains, livers, and other parts of children who have been hit by cluster bombs with the markings of supposedly 'civilized' countries on them (yes, that would be Russia). The people who have no time to clean the mess up in between operations because of the constant flow of humanity into these often dimly-lit, maze-like structures, sometimes as the buildings collapse around them.

The people showing a sense of humanity in a place where that word seems to have lost meaning in all the pointless politically-driven bloodshed.

I figure that'd be my nomination this year. It's the best I can think of. It may not be actively encouraging peace, but it's bringing what peace they can to those who are suffering from a severe lack of it.


I second this nomination.
If you want to call me by a nickname, call me Gon...or NS Batman.
Mod stuff: One Stop Rules Shop | Reppy's Sig Workshop | Getting Help Request
Just A Little though

User avatar
Eol Sha
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 14708
Founded: Aug 12, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Eol Sha » Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:24 pm

Neutraligon wrote:
Dread Lady Nathicana wrote:It's a sad sort of situation when you have a hard time thinking of organizations who are actually actively, and legitimately, working towards peace out there in the world. We have a number of groups loudly protesting, or flag-waving, or shouting about this, that, or the other problem, but I wouldn't quite categorize their efforts as either peaceful, or encouraging peace. Some have been mentioned here already, others have not.

I cannot, for reasons I would hope might be obvious, list any American political personages. Those operating under the delusion that anything most of these people are doing is for the greater good, for selfless reasons, or for any actual peace, may need to re-examine things minus the rose-colored glasses. (That's just an opinion, mind you. Not pointing fingers at anyone in particular.)

Doctors Without Borders continues to be an organization that does what it can to help those least able to help themselves, and usually, the least responsible for the horrible things going on in the worst areas of the world - the innocent bystanders, the civilians who don't know where to turn, what to do, and who are caught between two or more warring factions, and invariably, being the ones paying the ultimate price for it. That said, they've been nominated and won already.

Perhaps a spin on that, then -the doctors, nurses, and others who are working in the underground hospitals and other such places in Aleppo, primarily, and other targeted cities this past year. The people who have been attempting, without sufficient water, power, tools, medicine, without sanitary conditions, and under threat of, or actual bombardment, still valiantly attempting to do what they can to save lives.

The people doing brain surgery on blood-soaked floors in the middle of recovery rooms because there is no other option. The people working feverishly to remove ball bearings from the spines, brains, livers, and other parts of children who have been hit by cluster bombs with the markings of supposedly 'civilized' countries on them (yes, that would be Russia). The people who have no time to clean the mess up in between operations because of the constant flow of humanity into these often dimly-lit, maze-like structures, sometimes as the buildings collapse around them.

The people showing a sense of humanity in a place where that word seems to have lost meaning in all the pointless politically-driven bloodshed.

I figure that'd be my nomination this year. It's the best I can think of. It may not be actively encouraging peace, but it's bringing what peace they can to those who are suffering from a severe lack of it.


I second this nomination.

Didn't Doctors without Borders win last year? Pretty sure that makes them ineligible for the prize this year.
You'd better believe I'm a bitter Bernie Sanders supporter. The Dems fucked up and fucked up hard. Hopefully they'll learn that neoliberalism and maintaining the status quo isn't the way to win this election or any other one. I doubt they will, though.

"What's the number one method of achieving civil rights in America? Don't scare the white folks." ~ Eol Sha

Praise be to C-SPAN - Democrats Should Listen to Sanders - How I Voted on November 8, 2016 - Trump's Foreign Policy: Do Stupid Shit - Trump's Clock is Ticking

User avatar
MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 23694
Founded: Dec 05, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:28 pm

New Dukaine wrote:I will nominate Justin Trudeau because he is the only world leader that hasn't made their country fall into chaos.

Also, he is a really, really good leader, and has lead Canada really well so far. I personally wish he was our president in the US, but that's not the point. He is also the son of one of the best prime ministers of Canada, Pierre Trudeau. He has influential and widely accepted beliefs. I think he is fit to receive a nomination.

What on earth has he done to promote peace? Selling weapons to the Saudis isn't exactly the mark of a peacemaker.

User avatar
Thermodolia
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 73243
Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Thermodolia » Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:29 pm

Eol Sha wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:
I second this nomination.

Didn't Doctors without Borders win last year? Pretty sure that makes them ineligible for the prize this year.

Yup, you where right
Male, State Socialist, Cultural Nationalist, Welfare Chauvinist lives somewhere in AZ I'm GAY! Disabled US Military Veteran
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
>Xovland: I keep getting ads for printer ink. Sometimes, when you get that feeling down there, you have to look at some steamy printer pictures.
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

User avatar
Thermodolia
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 73243
Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Thermodolia » Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:31 pm

Merizoc wrote:
New Dukaine wrote:I will nominate Justin Trudeau because he is the only world leader that hasn't made their country fall into chaos.

Also, he is a really, really good leader, and has lead Canada really well so far. I personally wish he was our president in the US, but that's not the point. He is also the son of one of the best prime ministers of Canada, Pierre Trudeau. He has influential and widely accepted beliefs. I think he is fit to receive a nomination.

What on earth has he done to promote peace? Selling weapons to the Saudis isn't exactly the mark of a peacemaker.

Obama got a peace prize.
Male, State Socialist, Cultural Nationalist, Welfare Chauvinist lives somewhere in AZ I'm GAY! Disabled US Military Veteran
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
>Xovland: I keep getting ads for printer ink. Sometimes, when you get that feeling down there, you have to look at some steamy printer pictures.
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

User avatar
MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 23694
Founded: Dec 05, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:32 pm

Thermodolia wrote:
Merizoc wrote:What on earth has he done to promote peace? Selling weapons to the Saudis isn't exactly the mark of a peacemaker.

Obama got a peace prize.

Yeah and pretty much everyone agrees that was a total sham.

User avatar
Thermodolia
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 73243
Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Thermodolia » Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:35 pm

Merizoc wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:Obama got a peace prize.

Yeah and pretty much everyone agrees that was a total sham.

Just saying that there has been a precedent
Male, State Socialist, Cultural Nationalist, Welfare Chauvinist lives somewhere in AZ I'm GAY! Disabled US Military Veteran
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
>Xovland: I keep getting ads for printer ink. Sometimes, when you get that feeling down there, you have to look at some steamy printer pictures.
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

User avatar
Geilinor
Post Czar
 
Posts: 41328
Founded: Feb 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:42 pm

Merizoc wrote:
New Dukaine wrote:I will nominate Justin Trudeau because he is the only world leader that hasn't made their country fall into chaos.

Also, he is a really, really good leader, and has lead Canada really well so far. I personally wish he was our president in the US, but that's not the point. He is also the son of one of the best prime ministers of Canada, Pierre Trudeau. He has influential and widely accepted beliefs. I think he is fit to receive a nomination.

What on earth has he done to promote peace? Selling weapons to the Saudis isn't exactly the mark of a peacemaker.

Well, there's settling refugees. Not many real candidates for the prize this year, though.
Last edited by Geilinor on Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Member of the Free Democratic Party. Not left. Not right. Forward.
Economic Left/Right: -1.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.41

User avatar
Praeotoria
Lobbyist
 
Posts: 25
Founded: Sep 27, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Praeotoria » Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:45 pm

Has Malala, the child from Pakistan been proposed yet?
Last edited by Praeotoria on Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Geilinor
Post Czar
 
Posts: 41328
Founded: Feb 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:46 pm

Praeotoria wrote:Has Malala, the child from Pakistan been proposed yet?

She's won before so is ineligible.
Member of the Free Democratic Party. Not left. Not right. Forward.
Economic Left/Right: -1.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.41

User avatar
Neutraligon
Game Moderator
 
Posts: 39320
Founded: Oct 01, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:49 pm

Eol Sha wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:
I second this nomination.

Didn't Doctors without Borders win last year? Pretty sure that makes them ineligible for the prize this year.

This was not a nomination for Doctors without Borders.
If you want to call me by a nickname, call me Gon...or NS Batman.
Mod stuff: One Stop Rules Shop | Reppy's Sig Workshop | Getting Help Request
Just A Little though

User avatar
Eol Sha
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 14708
Founded: Aug 12, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Eol Sha » Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:55 pm

Neutraligon wrote:
Eol Sha wrote:Didn't Doctors without Borders win last year? Pretty sure that makes them ineligible for the prize this year.

This was not a nomination for Doctors without Borders.

My apologies. I skimmed.
You'd better believe I'm a bitter Bernie Sanders supporter. The Dems fucked up and fucked up hard. Hopefully they'll learn that neoliberalism and maintaining the status quo isn't the way to win this election or any other one. I doubt they will, though.

"What's the number one method of achieving civil rights in America? Don't scare the white folks." ~ Eol Sha

Praise be to C-SPAN - Democrats Should Listen to Sanders - How I Voted on November 8, 2016 - Trump's Foreign Policy: Do Stupid Shit - Trump's Clock is Ticking

User avatar
Shrillland
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 19589
Founded: Apr 12, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Shrillland » Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:32 pm

Geilinor wrote:
Wolfmanne2 wrote:Also Santos great nominee lol.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2016/10/c ... 14696.html

Damn.


In regards to what Uribe said, he doesn't seem to understand that there has to be at least some form of forbearance involved when making peace in a civil war. But the agreement has failed, so I'll withdraw my nomination.
How America Came to This, by Kowani: Racialised Politics, Ideological Media Gaslighting, and What It All Means For The Future
Plebiscite Plaza 2022
Here's my Takes on LatAm Votes!
In 1963, Doctor Who taught us all we need to know about politics when a cave woman said, "Old men see no further than tomorrow's meat".

User avatar
The Conez Imperium
Minister
 
Posts: 3053
Founded: Nov 23, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Conez Imperium » Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:00 pm

Shofercia wrote:
The Conez Imperium wrote:
I'm pretty certain that they are able to do "something useful" because they have the firepower to do so.

Hmm. I don't support this nomination as giving a peace prize to Kurds is rather generalistic. What are we defining as kurds? The ethnicity? The government (if they have one)? The army soldiers who defended Kobane? This nomination seems like a sympathy vote rather than actual recognition for "the extraordinary contribution given to the cause of human rights and/or peace".

Moreover, if we are arguing about the line of the "Kurds" giving women equality, then what makes their action particularly commendable compared to other organisations that advocate for equality?


That they're actually doing it in a war torn part of the Middle East. As for a specific organization, how about the armed forces branch of the Kurds that defended Kobane?


If we are giving soldiers a peace prize does that not seem rather odd? A military organisation receiving a peace prize? I understand that force was the only way to deter the barbaric ISIS and protect the people of Kobane but to give a peace prize to a military organisation is counter-intuitive. Especially considering that we our current understanding of a "peace prize" from Nobel's own work. Unless this Kurdish paramilitary has done something else to promote human rights other than using force, this nomination is frankly in my opinion silly.

According to Nobel's will, the Peace Prize shall be awarded to the person who in the preceding year "shall have done the most or the best work for fraternity between nations, for the abolition or reduction of standing armies and for the holding and promotion of peace congresses."
Salut tout le monde, c'est moi !

User avatar
The Conez Imperium
Minister
 
Posts: 3053
Founded: Nov 23, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Conez Imperium » Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:03 pm

Merizoc wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:Obama got a peace prize.

Yeah and pretty much everyone agrees that was a total sham.


Yes, that was a rather weird prize. But in more recent years after he received the Nobel peace prize, Obama has done much admirable work in Iran and her nuclear diplomacy.

Perhaps after the Iran deal, Obama's peace prize would be less bizarre.
Salut tout le monde, c'est moi !

User avatar
Zudril
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 177
Founded: Sep 17, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Zudril » Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:31 pm

Great Kauthar wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:Putin? For a peace prize?! Besides Duterte has already been nominated

Unlikely someone else will support Putin, so I support the nomination of Duterte.

The dude has literally started mass murders. He has done the exact opposite of peace.
Cynic

User avatar
Wolfmanne2
Senator
 
Posts: 3762
Founded: Sep 02, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Wolfmanne2 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:14 pm

New Dukaine wrote:I will nominate Justin Trudeau because he is the only world leader that hasn't made their country fall into chaos.

Also, he is a really, really good leader, and has lead Canada really well so far. I personally wish he was our president in the US, but that's not the point. He is also the son of one of the best prime ministers of Canada, Pierre Trudeau. He has influential and widely accepted beliefs. I think he is fit to receive a nomination.

I wish I could give a -1 nomination. Of all the people Trudeau doesn't deserve it and is a terrible President anyway. His only plus is that he can win elections and seem popular whilst selling the Saudis weapons, so good on him.
ESFP
United in Labour! Jezbollah and Saint Tony together!


Mad hatters in jeans wrote:Yeah precipitating on everyone doesn't go down well usually. You seem patient enough to chat to us, i'm willing to count that as nice.

User avatar
Philjia
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 11360
Founded: Sep 15, 2014
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Philjia » Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:57 pm

Risottia wrote:
Philjia wrote:Is it me or are most of the nominations shite?

Then make one you like.


I did, for AllTrials on page one. Nobody else seemed interested. I could switch it to Cochrane, but I don't think it would help.
JG Ballard wrote:I want to rub the human race in its own vomit, and force it to look in the mirror.

⚧ Trans rights. ⚧
Pragmatic ethical utopian socialist, IE I'm for whatever kind of socialism is the most moral and practical. Pro LGBT rights and gay marriage, pro gay adoption, generally internationalist, ambivalent on the EU, atheist, pro free speech and expression, pro legalisation of prostitution and soft drugs, and pro choice. Anti authoritarian, anti Marxist. White cishet male.

User avatar
Bakery Hill
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 11973
Founded: Jul 03, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Bakery Hill » Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:27 am

The Conez Imperium wrote:
Shofercia wrote:
That they're actually doing it in a war torn part of the Middle East. As for a specific organization, how about the armed forces branch of the Kurds that defended Kobane?


If we are giving soldiers a peace prize does that not seem rather odd? A military organisation receiving a peace prize? I understand that force was the only way to deter the barbaric ISIS and protect the people of Kobane but to give a peace prize to a military organisation is counter-intuitive. Especially considering that we our current understanding of a "peace prize" from Nobel's own work. Unless this Kurdish paramilitary has done something else to promote human rights other than using force, this nomination is frankly in my opinion silly.

According to Nobel's will, the Peace Prize shall be awarded to the person who in the preceding year "shall have done the most or the best work for fraternity between nations, for the abolition or reduction of standing armies and for the holding and promotion of peace congresses."

Well I did make a reply to you that addresses that haha
Founder of the Committee for Proletarian Morality - Winner of Best Communist Award 2018 - Godfather of NSG Syndicalism

User avatar
The Conez Imperium
Minister
 
Posts: 3053
Founded: Nov 23, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Conez Imperium » Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:32 am

Bakery Hill wrote:
The Conez Imperium wrote:Moreover, if we are arguing about the line of the "Kurds" giving women equality, then what makes their action particularly commendable compared to other organisations that advocate for equality?

Because they're doing very radically progressive and effective things in one of the most violent and reactionary regions in the world at the moment.


Oh okay, fair enough.
Salut tout le monde, c'est moi !

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot], Mountains and Volcanoes, The Holy Therns, The Lone Alliance, Tillania, Torisakia, Ulajhan, Washington Resistance Army

Advertisement

Remove ads