NATION

PASSWORD

Christian Discussion Thread VIII: Augustine's Revenge.

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

What is your denomination?

Roman Catholic
36%
Eastern Orthodox
9%
Non-Chalcedonian (Oriental Orthodox, Church of the East, etc.)
1%
Anglican/Episcopalian
5%
Lutheran or Reformed (including Calvinist, Presbyterian, etc.)
12%
Methodist
4%
Baptist
9%
Other Evangelical Protestant (Pentecostal, Charismatic, etc.)
7%
Restorationist (LDS Movement, Jehovah's Witness, etc.)
3%
Other Christian
14%

Total votes : 745

Tarsonis Survivors
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 03, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Tarsonis Survivors » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:49 am

The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp wrote:
Samkheidzo wrote:Hey! I guess I should introduce myself, maybe? I don't know what the protocol is.

I'm an (Eastern) Orthodox Christian, and I am really interested in the topic of religion/theology. I used to use NationStates years ago but forgot all about it. Decided to come back and saw this thread, it caught my eye as one of my interests. I'm looking forward to discussing more with people here!

Welcome to the thread!

Be careful, this place has arguments that are longer than some of the worst fanfics I have ever read.

Not that often, only when egregious heresy shows up.

Dylar
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 07, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Dylar » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:50 am

Tarsonis Survivors wrote:
The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp wrote:Welcome to the thread!

Be careful, this place has arguments that are longer than some of the worst fanfics I have ever read.

Which happens like once every month, or two months...
St. Albert the Great wrote:"Natural science does not consist in ratifying what others have said, but in seeking the causes of phenomena."
Franko Tildon wrote:Fire washes the skin off the bone and the sin off the soul. It cleans away the dirt. And my momma didn't raise herself no dirty boy.

Pro: Life, Catholic, religious freedom, guns
Against: gun control, abortion, militant atheism
Interests: Video Games, Military History, Catholic theology, Sci-Fi, and Table-Top Miniatures games
Favorite music genres: Metal, Drinking songs, Polka, Military Marches, Hardbass, and Movie/Video Game soundtracks

Shazbotdom
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 28, 2004
Anarchy

Postby Shazbotdom » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:47 am

Keshetar wrote:Here is one of my scathing about Christianity

I have been told the idea that things in society have got so evil and dark today that the world is going to end. I'm also told that God is punishing us (or at least America) for turning against him and he won't turn back to protecting us unless all of us submit to him. I'm extremely frustrated at God and Christianity, especially the very devout people. I wish more known or well-meaning Christians would actually not ignore me or say something that was pre-programmed like a robot to me when I tell them my own personal beliefs about God, sexuality, Heaven, etc. I wish they can acknowledge that I have a sensitive heart-but no, as long as God is and never changes and is absolute about everything, I don't want to come back to that guy after I chose to turn my back on him.

He doesn't even care if something that was totally not "normal" and universally catastrophic would happen. We are not protected from things like North Korea and their ever increasingly threatening missiles. I can't say with any confidence that anything bad like that won't ever happen in my lifetime.

I know we do have free will he gave us, but it's not the point. By now, I think I wish God didn't exist. I am always shamed by everyone and the church itself to submit to him.

Placeholder for my $0.02
ShazWeb || IIWiki || Discord: shazbertbot || 1 x NFL Picks League Champion (2021)
CosmoCast || SISA || CCD || CrawDaddy || SCIA || COPEC || Boudreaux's || CLS || SNC || ShazAir || BHC || TWO
NHL: NYR (114) 0 - 0 WSH (91) | COL (105) 0 - 0 WPG (110) | VGK (96) 0 - 0 DAL (113)
NBA: Pelicans (6) 49-33 || NCAA MBB: Tulane 20-16 | LSU 22-15 || NCAA WSB: LSU 33-8

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:55 pm

Tarsonis Survivors wrote:
The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp wrote:Welcome to the thread!

Or the rare Catholic-Orthodox fight.

We should have another one of those sometime.
Traditionalist Catholic, Constitutional Monarchist, Habsburg Nostalgic, Distributist, Disillusioned Millennial.

"In any case we clearly see....That some opportune remedy must be found quickly for the misery and wretchedness pressing so unjustly on the majority of the working class...it has come to pass that working men have been surrendered, isolated and helpless, to the hardheartedness of employers and the greed of unchecked competition." -Pope Leo XIII, Rerum Novarum

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Founded: Sep 12, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:57 pm

Storhjaltland wrote:
The Parkus Empire wrote:Saying someone sins is condemning them.

Yes it is.

And so f*cking what? Is pronouncing someone guilty of sin a crime? No, it is our duty to reveal sinners and help them redeem themselves through love, understanding and compassion. Shutting out the sins of others and doing nothing to help them is lazy and goes against the lessons of the New Testament.

Calling a non-Christian a sinner isn't helping them redeem themselves at all, and you're deluding yourself if you think going around to pluck the motes out of the eyes of others is your "duty". "Sinner" is the worse possible condemnation you can make of someone--calling them a clumsy idiot, or ugly or even a racial slur pales in comparison to that, because God does not hold any of those things to be bad or wrong.
American Orthodox: one, holy, catholic, and apostolic church.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist
♂Copy and paste this in your sig if you passed biology and know men and women aren't the same.♀

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:00 pm

The Parkus Empire wrote:
Storhjaltland wrote:Yes it is.

And so f*cking what? Is pronouncing someone guilty of sin a crime? No, it is our duty to reveal sinners and help them redeem themselves through love, understanding and compassion. Shutting out the sins of others and doing nothing to help them is lazy and goes against the lessons of the New Testament.

Calling a non-Christian a sinner isn't helping them redeem themselves at all, and you're deluding yourself if you think going around to pluck the motes out of the eyes of others is your "duty". "Sinner" is the worse possible condemnation you can make of someone--calling them a clumsy idiot, or ugly or even a racial slur pales in comparison to that, because God does not hold any of those things to be bad or wrong.

Literally everyone is a sinner so calling someone a sinner would just be a statement of a fact. All people are in sin, which is why we need Christ.
Traditionalist Catholic, Constitutional Monarchist, Habsburg Nostalgic, Distributist, Disillusioned Millennial.

"In any case we clearly see....That some opportune remedy must be found quickly for the misery and wretchedness pressing so unjustly on the majority of the working class...it has come to pass that working men have been surrendered, isolated and helpless, to the hardheartedness of employers and the greed of unchecked competition." -Pope Leo XIII, Rerum Novarum

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:00 pm

NewLakotah wrote:
The Parkus Empire wrote: It's a breach of Christian morality to evaluate non-Christians by Christian morality.

Now I agree that non-Christians won't hold to the same morality standards as we Christians do, however, that being said, it is our goal to be a Light to the darkness of the world around us. It is not hateful to point out and guide non-Christians towards right, when the path they are on leads to eternal hell. When you love someone, you are going to be there to ensure that they are going along the right path. This goes for non-Christians as well. We are not told to be judgmental or act as any type of authority, but instead let God judge Righteously. However, we do have his Word to go by, and therefore can help guide people along, through love and compassion, towards the Truth.

Being a light to the darkness is being an pristine example and not judging others. It isn't going around correcting people who don't even believe in God. If someone is a Christian, yes it is your duty to correct them if they start to stray considerably, and you are not even to eat with self-identified Christians who disregard Christian morality. But if someone is not a Christian, you have absolutely no business pointing out their nakedness like Ham does with his father, Noah.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist
♂Copy and paste this in your sig if you passed biology and know men and women aren't the same.♀

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:00 pm

Lady Scylla wrote:
Hakons wrote:
There is only one morality. We shouldn't judge and condemn people, but we must say what is sinful.

Or just keep it to yourself.

Nope.

Dylar
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Dylar » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:01 pm

The Parkus Empire wrote:
Storhjaltland wrote:Yes it is.

You...do know that the Catholic Church, and virtually every other Christian denomination all teach that everyone on this planet, from the pope to the layman, is a sinner, right?
St. Albert the Great wrote:"Natural science does not consist in ratifying what others have said, but in seeking the causes of phenomena."
Franko Tildon wrote:Fire washes the skin off the bone and the sin off the soul. It cleans away the dirt. And my momma didn't raise herself no dirty boy.

Interests: Video Games, Military History, Catholic theology, Sci-Fi, and Table-Top Miniatures games
Favorite music genres: Metal, Drinking songs, Polka, Military Marches, Hardbass, and Movie/Video Game soundtracks

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:03 pm

Salus Maior wrote:
The Parkus Empire wrote:Calling a non-Christian a sinner isn't helping them redeem themselves at all, and you're deluding yourself if you think going around to pluck the motes out of the eyes of others is your "duty". "Sinner" is the worse possible condemnation you can make of someone--calling them a clumsy idiot, or ugly or even a racial slur pales in comparison to that, because God does not hold any of those things to be bad or wrong.

Literally everyone is a sinner so calling someone a sinner would just be a statement of a fact. All people are in sin, which is why we need Christ.

Whether or not it is a statement of fact that someone has a mote in their eye has zero to do with whether or not it is your business to point it out. I seriously doubt you can even keep track of your own sins and make a perfect account of them, and you dare to start making an accounting of the sins of non-Christians? How can you seriously claim remorse while doing this?
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:06 pm

Dylar wrote:
The Parkus Empire wrote:Calling a non-Christian a sinner isn't helping them redeem themselves at all, and you're deluding yourself if you think going around to pluck the motes out of the eyes of others is your "duty". "Sinner" is the worse possible condemnation you can make of someone--calling them a clumsy idiot, or ugly or even a racial slur pales in comparison to that, because God does not hold any of those things to be bad or wrong.

You...do know that the Catholic Church, and virtually every other Christian denomination all teach that everyone on this planet, from the pope to the layman, is a sinner, right?

Yes, and? How does everyone having a mote in their eye make it your business to call them out on it? I was baptized Orthodox Catholic last month, and what I was taught is that you are to presume everyone except for you is going to heaven, and to worry about your own repentance. An ounce of fixing your own soul is worth seventy tons of talking the ears off others in bringing people to Christianity.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist

Dylar
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Dylar » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:06 pm

The Parkus Empire wrote:
Salus Maior wrote:

Whether or not it is a statement of fact that someone has a mote in their eye has zero to do with whether or not it is your business to point it out. I seriously doubt you can even keep track of your own sins and make a perfect account of them, and you dare to start making an accounting of the sins of non-Christians? How can you seriously claim remorse while doing this?

You see, when you go to a confessional, the first thing you do before you enter is to examine your conscience. "What did I do wrong in the x amount of time since my last confession?" and because nobody can remember every single sin that they committed when they enter the confessional, the penitent usually says the sins he can remember and then finishes with a "and all the sins that I cannot remember."

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:07 pm

The Parkus Empire wrote:
Salus Maior wrote:

I fully accept my sins, and that I'm a sinner and I'm never going to be perfect. Anyway, I would only mention if something was sinful if they asked me or it was relevant, like if they were trying to be a better Christian (although there's much better people to ask than me). I don't 'keep track' of what other people do.

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:08 pm

Dylar wrote:
The Parkus Empire wrote:Whether or not it is a statement of fact that someone has a mote in their eye has zero to do with whether or not it is your business to point it out. I seriously doubt you can even keep track of your own sins and make a perfect account of them, and you dare to start making an accounting of the sins of non-Christians? How can you seriously claim remorse while doing this?

You see, when you go to a confessional, the first thing you do before you enter is to examine your conscience. "What did I do wrong in the x amount of time since my last confession?" and because nobody can remember every single sin that they committed when they enter the confessional, the penitent usually says the sins he can remember and then finishes with a "and all the sins that I cannot remember."

I write my down, personally.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:09 pm

Salus Maior wrote:
The Parkus Empire wrote:Whether or not it is a statement of fact that someone has a mote in their eye has zero to do with whether or not it is your business to point it out. I seriously doubt you can even keep track of your own sins and make a perfect account of them, and you dare to start making an accounting of the sins of non-Christians? How can you seriously claim remorse while doing this?

I fully accept my sins, and that I'm a sinner and I'm never going to be perfect. Anyway, I would only mention if something was sinful if they asked me or it was relevant, like if they were trying to be a better Christian (although there's much better people to ask than me). I don't 'keep track' of what other people do.

This obviously has zero to do with non-Christians, which is what we're discussing here.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist

Dylar
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Dylar » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:09 pm

The Parkus Empire wrote:
Dylar wrote:You...do know that the Catholic Church, and virtually every other Christian denomination all teach that everyone on this planet, from the pope to the layman, is a sinner, right?

Yes, and? How does everyone having a mote in their eye make it your business to call them out on it? I was baptized Orthodox Catholic last month, and what I was taught is that you are to presume everyone except for you is going to heaven, and to worry about your own repentance. An ounce of fixing your own soul is worth seventy tons of talking the ears off others in bringing people to Christianity.

It's our business to help them. If we know what sins someone has committed, it is our duty to help them get back on the right track. That's not "calling someone out." Calling someone out is going out on the street and yelling "Hey, this guy did x, let's condemn him!"

The United Neptumousian Empire
Minister

Founded: Dec 02, 2014
Iron Fist Socialists

Postby The United Neptumousian Empire » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:10 pm

hello fellows. remember me?

I've changed a fair bit since I last posted in this thread...
Last edited by The United Neptumousian Empire on Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Agnostic
Asexual Spectrum, Lesbian
Transgender MtF, pronouns she / her

Pro-LGBT
Pro-Left Wing
Pro-Socialism / Communism

Anti-Hate Speech
Anti-Fascist
Anti-Bigotry
Anti-Right Wing
Anti-Capitalism

Political Compass
Personality Type: INFJ
I am The Flood

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:12 pm

Dylar wrote:
The Parkus Empire wrote:Yes, and? How does everyone having a mote in their eye make it your business to call them out on it? I was baptized Orthodox Catholic last month, and what I was taught is that you are to presume everyone except for you is going to heaven, and to worry about your own repentance. An ounce of fixing your own soul is worth seventy tons of talking the ears off others in bringing people to Christianity.

It's our business to help them. If we know what sins someone has committed, it is our duty to help them get back on the right track. That's not "calling someone out." Calling someone out is going out on the street and yelling "Hey, this guy did x, let's condemn him!"

You want to help them, intoxicate them with the fragrance of your soul. Telling a non-Christian they are a sinner does not help them a whit. I in fact would worry that would make my own judgement more rigorous. According to what measure you judge others, you will be judged. I take that in frequent consideration. I do not think it will help if I point out that, "I just factually pointed out the mote in his eye, I didn't judge him for it, just factually pointed it out."
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:17 pm

Samkheidzo wrote:Hey! I guess I should introduce myself, maybe? I don't know what the protocol is.

I'm an (Eastern) Orthodox Christian, and I am really interested in the topic of religion/theology. I used to use NationStates years ago but forgot all about it. Decided to come back and saw this thread, it caught my eye as one of my interests. I'm looking forward to discussing more with people here!

Hello, hello!
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:23 pm

The United Neptumousian Empire wrote:hello fellows? remember me?

Theologically, or?
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:23 pm

The Parkus Empire wrote:You want to help them, intoxicate them with the fragrance of your soul. Telling a non-Christian they are a sinner does not help them a whit. I in fact would worry that would make my own judgement more rigorous. According to what measure you judge others, you will be judged. I take that in frequent consideration. I do not think it will help if I point out that, "I just factually pointed out the mote in his eye, I didn't judge him for it, just factually pointed it out."

That's vague.

And there's also a difference between telling someone they're in sin out of concern or as an attempt to help them, and doing so to make yourself seem like a better person. Which is what the speck/log in-the-eye parable means. As in "look at that sinner, I don't sin as much as him!".

Guelder
Envoy

Founded: May 05, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Guelder » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:25 pm

I'm not an Christian but i'm interested in the religion
The official name is Guelders so please call me Guelders.
I believe in positivity and love
I am a Conservative-Liberal
I speak Dutch and English

The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 18, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:27 pm

The United Neptumousian Empire wrote:hello fellows? remember me?

:hug:

hai

Guelder wrote:I'm not an Christian but i'm interested in the religion

Join the Catholics, we have wine and cookies.
Last edited by The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp on Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:29 pm

Guelder wrote:I'm not an Christian but i'm interested in the religion

Cool.

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:30 pm

Salus Maior wrote:That's vague.

It's a term Gogol used regarding defending the Church from attacks Jesuits were making at the time: "Only one kind of propaganda is possible for us—our own lives. We must defend our Church with our lives, for she is life; and we must proclaim her truth by the fragrance of our souls."

And there's also a difference between telling someone they're in sin out of concern or as an attempt to help them, and doing so to make yourself seem like a better person. Which is what the speck/log in-the-eye parable means. As in "look at that sinner, I don't sin as much as him!".

"Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye?"
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General