NATION

PASSWORD

Christian Discussion Thread VIII: Augustine's Revenge.

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

What is your denomination?

Roman Catholic
36%
Eastern Orthodox
9%
Non-Chalcedonian (Oriental Orthodox, Church of the East, etc.)
1%
Anglican/Episcopalian
5%
Lutheran or Reformed (including Calvinist, Presbyterian, etc.)
12%
Methodist
4%
Baptist
9%
Other Evangelical Protestant (Pentecostal, Charismatic, etc.)
7%
Restorationist (LDS Movement, Jehovah's Witness, etc.)
3%
Other Christian
14%

Total votes : 745

Maineiacs
Negotiator

Founded: May 26, 2005
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Maineiacs » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:42 am

Tarsonis Survivors wrote:http://www.ncregister.com/blog/astagnaro/34-common-errors-about-the-spanish-inquisition

Worth a read.

I'm inclined to agree with what several people said in the comments section of that article: it would have been nice if he had provided sources for his claims. What the article said may well be true, but it was written in a style that basically sounds like "NUH-UH! You're a liar!"
Economic:-8.12 Social:-7.59 Moral Rules:5 Moral Order:-5
Muravyets: Maineiacs, you are brilliant, too! I stand in delighted awe.
Sane Outcasts:When your best case scenario is five kilometers of nuclear contamination, you know someone fucked up.
Geniasis: Christian values are incompatible with Conservative ideals. I cannot both follow the teachings of Christ and be a Republican. Therefore, I choose to not be a Republican.
Galloism: If someone will build a wall around Donald Trump, I'll pay for it.
Bottle tells it like it is
add 6,928 to post count

Tarsonis Survivors
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 03, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Tarsonis Survivors » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:05 am

Maineiacs wrote:
Tarsonis Survivors wrote:http://www.ncregister.com/blog/astagnaro/34-common-errors-about-the-spanish-inquisition

Worth a read.

I'm inclined to agree with what several people said in the comments section of that article: it would have been nice if he had provided sources for his claims. What the article said may well be true, but it was written in a style that basically sounds like "NUH-UH! You're a liar!"

Well it is a blog, and yes it's very biased. I'm thinking of writing a book a number of l engrained misconceptions, might add this to the list.

Hakons
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 14, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Hakons » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:08 pm

Lady Scylla wrote:
Hakons wrote:
I was thinking more of a class that was about a single religion. It would actually go deep into the history and theology of the religion, so the general populous could actually know what their religion is. What would be difficult would be determining how many of these classes would be offered, considering there are a large number of religions. One solution could be making classes for the top five religions in the local area, or something along those lines.

So a question I want to ask then: Would you have an issue then if the Christian Class had the least amount of attendance?

I wouldn't have an issue with that. I'd love it if classes were just offered. It could also allow people to learn more about religions they are unfamiliar with.

Salus Maior wrote:
Soldati Senza Confini wrote:
Ignoring what literally everyone in the ancient world thought about the matter is not a protestant attitude.

It's certainly convenient for them though.

Infant baptism for the last two thousand years? What? Noo, that doesn't matter. Adult baptism is the real Christian way.

Christians believing in the Real Presence in the Eucharist for thousands of years? Which is wine and bread? Pffft, nah it's just a symbol! And crackers and grape juice is the right way to do it.

Really, once you start ignoring the history you veer off pretty far from what Christians actually believed.

Come on now, many Protestants still have many Church traditions. Baptism and communion are both sacraments in the Methodist Church. We are baptized as infants and our pastors say "here is Christ's body, broken for you" and "here is Christ's blood, shed for you," at communion. Anglicans and Lutherans have even more traditions.
“All elements of the national life must be made to drink in the Life which proceedeth from Him: legislation, political institutions, education, marriage and family life, capital and labour.” —Pope Leo XIII

Nordengrund
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 20, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Nordengrund » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:14 pm

Hakons wrote:
Lady Scylla wrote:
So a question I want to ask then: Would you have an issue then if the Christian Class had the least amount of attendance?

I wouldn't have an issue with that. I'd love it if classes were just offered. It could also allow people to learn more about religions they are unfamiliar with.

Salus Maior wrote:

Infant baptism for the last two thousand years? What? Noo, that doesn't matter. Adult baptism is the real Christian way.

Christians believing in the Real Presence in the Eucharist for thousands of years? Which is wine and bread? Pffft, nah it's just a symbol! And crackers and grape juice is the right way to do it.

Really, once you start ignoring the history you veer off pretty far from what Christians actually believed.

Come on now, many Protestants still have many Church traditions. Baptism and communion are both sacraments in the Methodist Church. We are baptized as infants and our pastors say "here is Christ's body, broken for you" and "here is Christ's blood, shed for you," at communion. Anglicans and Lutherans have even more traditions.

There are high church Baptists, but they are a pretty rare breed.
1 John 1:9

Hakons
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 14, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Hakons » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:16 pm

Salus Maior wrote:
I've pretty much left behind the original argument tbh. So I'll concede that to you.

SIDS is also a thing. Cancer is a thing. Freak accidents are a thing. Honestly, it's mind boggling to me that you're so blase about this.

And again, dying young has nothing to do with infant baptism.

Why? Because death is not an issue to me?

Like I said, I'd be more worried if this was 1000 years ago. Not today.

The only practical reason I see behind baptizing a child when they're an infant is to wash away their sins in case they die when they're young they at least die with a clean slate, and even you have implied this in your answer to me. I don't find that answer satisfactory to baptize a child in this day and age.

Tradition? Sure, that is a strong motivator in the church to do a lot of things. However, the reasoning to me seems... off. It's definitely not something I'd see in a child and think "they might die tomorrow and they are born with sin, so might as well wipe the slate clean". I just don't see it as needed because I think children are clean slates prior to the fact, so they are innocent by default, in my opinion, because they simply don't know right from wrong, so they cannot be sinners or judged in the same way as an adult who has cognition and a conscience is.

Baptism is very important and should be done fairly early. It is the entrance into the Church and is the baptism of the Holy Spirit.
Last edited by Hakons on Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“All elements of the national life must be made to drink in the Life which proceedeth from Him: legislation, political institutions, education, marriage and family life, capital and labour.” —Pope Leo XIII

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 09, 2014
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Luminesa » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:19 pm

Salus Maior wrote:
I've pretty much left behind the original argument tbh. So I'll concede that to you.

SIDS is also a thing. Cancer is a thing. Freak accidents are a thing. Honestly, it's mind boggling to me that you're so blase about this.

And again, dying young has nothing to do with infant baptism.

Why? Because death is not an issue to me?

Like I said, I'd be more worried if this was 1000 years ago. Not today.

The only practical reason I see behind baptizing a child when they're an infant is to wash away their sins in case they die when they're young they at least die with a clean slate, and even you have implied this in your answer to me. I don't find that answer satisfactory to baptize a child in this day and age.

Tradition? Sure, that is a strong motivator in the church to do a lot of things. However, the reasoning to me seems... off. It's definitely not something I'd see in a child and think "they might die tomorrow and they are born with sin, so might as well wipe the slate clean". I just don't see it as needed because I think children are clean slates prior to the fact, so they are innocent by default, in my opinion, because they simply don't know right from wrong, so they cannot be sinners or judged in the same way as an adult who has cognition and a conscience is.

Well, the sacrament is administered so early not only because hey, if you were like me and my sisters and born a preemie, your odds might be against you, but also because of its relationship with "birth" in the Church. Baptism is a symbol of having your baby become one with the life of God and the life of the Church. It's a rebirth in Christ. Thus, doing so is good because it helps one (if they proceed with the Sacrament in the right mindset) to also better understand the life of the Church and the spiritual life of the little child they're baptizing.
Catholic, pro-life, and proud of it. I prefer my debates on religion, politics, and sports with some coffee and a little Aquinas and G.K. CHESTERTON here and there. :3
Unofficial #1 fan of the Who Dat Nation.
"I'm just a singer of simple songs, I'm not a real political man. I watch CNN, but I'm not sure I can tell you the difference in Iraq and Iran. But I know Jesus, and I talk to God, and I remember this from when I was young:
faith, hope and love are some good things He gave us...
and the greatest is love."
-Alan Jackson
Help the Ukrainian people, here's some sources!
Help bring home First Nation girls! Now with more ways to help!
Jesus loves all of His children in Eastern Europe - pray for peace.
Pray for Ukraine, Wear Sunflowers In Your Hair

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:37 pm

Hakons wrote:
Salus Maior wrote:

I wasn't really referring to Protestants like yourself that try to keep close to historic Christian practice and belief. I do really appreciate that when I see it, but it's getting rarer and rarer (which is why your faith as an individual I find comforting and inspiring).

The problem with Protestantism as a whole is that it's severely inconsistent when it comes to beliefs, traditions, and the basic foundations of Christian doctrine.

Of course I understand that Protestantism is not a monolith and never was, but even within single denominations like Anglicanism you can have severe differences in belief, like denial of the virgin birth, the resurrection, and the nature of God as a being himself with no consequence. You can basically not be a Christian at all yet still be a member of the church...Hell, you can even be a Bishop and yet deny everything held to be true in Christianity since the foundations of the Church by Christ Himself.

While I'm less familiar with Methodism, I've seen similar problems arising there as well.

I've honestly lost faith in Protestantism as a vessel that maintains and propagates Christian truth.
Last edited by Salus Maior on Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Traditionalist Catholic, Constitutional Monarchist, Habsburg Nostalgic, Distributist, Disillusioned Millennial.

"In any case we clearly see....That some opportune remedy must be found quickly for the misery and wretchedness pressing so unjustly on the majority of the working class...it has come to pass that working men have been surrendered, isolated and helpless, to the hardheartedness of employers and the greed of unchecked competition." -Pope Leo XIII, Rerum Novarum

Arcanstotska
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 19, 2016

Postby Arcanstotska » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:38 pm

Praise the Lord! For He who loves mankind shalt welcome him into Heaven!
I watched a video. A video that suggests that Jesus will return to us THIS YEAR!
Our Saviour is returning! Rejoice!
(The video actually made me cry tears of joy)
Last edited by Arcanstotska on Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yo

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Postby Luminesa » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:49 pm

Arcanstotska wrote:Praise the Lord! For He who loves mankind shalt welcome him into Heaven!
I watched a video. A video that suggests that Jesus will return to us THIS YEAR!

...Remember what the Bible says. We do not know the day nor the time. This is knowledge only known to God. We can only pray, however, and continue having a good relationship with God. That way, like the ten bridesmaids who greeted the groom readily, when he came for them, we'll be ready when Christ comes. :3
Catholic, pro-life, and proud of it. I prefer my debates on religion, politics, and sports with some coffee and a little Aquinas and G.K. CHESTERTON here and there. :3
"I'm just a singer of simple songs, I'm not a real political man. I watch CNN, but I'm not sure I can tell you the difference in Iraq and Iran. But I know Jesus, and I talk to God, and I remember this from when I was young:
-Alan Jackson

Arcanstotska
Diplomat

Postby Arcanstotska » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:56 pm

Luminesa wrote:
Arcanstotska wrote:Praise the Lord! For He who loves mankind shalt welcome him into Heaven!

...Remember what the Bible says. We do not know the day nor the time. This is knowledge only known to God. We can only pray, however, and continue having a good relationship with God. That way, like the ten bridesmaids who greeted the groom readily, when he came for them, we'll be ready when Christ comes. :3

I know. The video only made a suggestion.
For not even the Angels in Heaven know of the date and time.
Like the Bible says, only God knows.
Last edited by Arcanstotska on Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yo

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:58 pm

Arcanstotska wrote:
Luminesa wrote:...Remember what the Bible says. We do not know the day nor the time. This is knowledge only known to God. We can only pray, however, and continue having a good relationship with God. That way, like the ten bridesmaids who greeted the groom readily, when he came for them, we'll be ready when Christ comes. :3

They can't know either, though. Only God the Father knows the time.
Traditionalist Catholic, Constitutional Monarchist, Habsburg Nostalgic, Distributist, Disillusioned Millennial.

"In any case we clearly see....That some opportune remedy must be found quickly for the misery and wretchedness pressing so unjustly on the majority of the working class...it has come to pass that working men have been surrendered, isolated and helpless, to the hardheartedness of employers and the greed of unchecked competition." -Pope Leo XIII, Rerum Novarum

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Postby Luminesa » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:58 pm

Arcanstotska wrote:
Luminesa wrote:...Remember what the Bible says. We do not know the day nor the time. This is knowledge only known to God. We can only pray, however, and continue having a good relationship with God. That way, like the ten bridesmaids who greeted the groom readily, when he came for them, we'll be ready when Christ comes. :3

Ah. :3

Anyway, welcome to the CDT! Dunno if we've ever seen you before! :hug:
-Alan Jackson

Arcanstotska
Diplomat

Postby Arcanstotska » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:00 pm

Luminesa wrote:
Arcanstotska wrote:I know. The video only made a suggestion.

Nope. I've never seen your nations before. I'm so devoted to Christendom, my nation's national religion is Christianity. Man, it is so nice to be on a Christian thread. Hi! I'm the Empire of Arcanstotska!
Yo

Arcanstotska
Diplomat

Postby Arcanstotska » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:01 pm

Luminesa wrote:
Arcanstotska wrote:I know. The video only made a suggestion.

I love your flag btw
Yo

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Postby Luminesa » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:10 am

Arcanstotska wrote:
Luminesa wrote:Ah. :3

I love your flag btw

Thank you! :3
-Alan Jackson

Pasong Tirad
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 31, 2007
Democratic Socialists

Postby Pasong Tirad » Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:55 am

The Blaatschapen wrote:So Christian thread, when did you know that you were Christian? Why did you make that choice?

Both families were strict Roman Catholics. Parents were a bit more loose (and weren't around as much as I'd like) to enforce Catholic practices. Was pretty much lapsed during college and only recently starting to come back to the Church. Technically, I still haven't chosen Christianity because I'm yet to be confirmed. :p

Tarsonis Survivors
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Tarsonis Survivors » Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:18 am

Hakons wrote:
Lady Scylla wrote:

Salus Maior wrote:

To be fair, every denomination says some variance of that when they offer communion. There's a different between "sacrament" and "ritual."

The catechism describes sacraments as "1131 The sacraments are efficacious signs of grace, instituted by Christ and entrusted to the Church, by which divine life is dispensed to us. the visible rites by which the sacraments are celebrated signify and make present the graces proper to each sacrament. They bear fruit in those who receive them with the required dispositions."

Only a few high church protestant denominations deliver, and have faith in the Eucharist in any manner reflective of this definition. Most do not.

Nordengrund
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 20, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Nordengrund » Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:44 am

The Blaatschapen wrote:So Christian thread, when did you know that you were Christian? Why did you make that choice?

I was raised Southern Baptist, but for me faith was (and still is) an on-off thing. I don't think I was truly saved until I was 18 when I had backslidden greatly, very apathetic towards people and their problems, and I was borderline deist. I picked up the Bible again after going so long without reading it, and I felt that God was convicting me and telling me I should change.

I also had some experiences with the 7th Day Adventist folks, and I found a lot of their beliefs to make sense and to be consistent.
1 John 1:9

Tarsonis Survivors
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Tarsonis Survivors » Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:26 am

Nordengrund wrote:

I was raised Southern Baptist, but for me faith was (and still is) an on-off thing. I don't think I was truly saved until I was 18 when I had backslidden greatly, very apathetic towards people and their problems, and I was borderline deist. I picked up the Bible again after going so long without reading it, and I felt that God was convicting me and telling me I should change.

I also had some experiences with the[u] 7th Day Adventist folks, and I found a lot of their beliefs to make sense and to be consistent.[/u]

I must highly warn you against this. I don't know if you were here for a particular 7DA on this thread, but that denomination lends itself to utterly nonsensical practices, like over literalism, and even believing in modern day prophets. Consistency is not the earmark for truth that you might think it is.

Pasong Tirad
Postmaster-General

Democratic Socialists

Postby Pasong Tirad » Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:32 am

Tarsonis Survivors wrote:
Nordengrund wrote:

I also had some experiences with the[u] 7th Day Adventist folks, and I found a lot of their beliefs to make sense and to be consistent.[/u]

I must highly warn you against this. I don't know if you were here for a particular 7DA on this thread, but that denomination lends itself to utterly nonsensical practices, like over literalism, and even believing in modern day prophets. Consistency is not the earmark for truth that you might think it is.

Do you want the actual truth? It's here.

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Postby Luminesa » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:33 am

Pasong Tirad wrote:

Both families were strict Roman Catholics. Parents were a bit more loose (and weren't around as much as I'd like) to enforce Catholic practices. Was pretty much lapsed during college and only recently starting to come back to the Church. Technically, I still haven't chosen Christianity because I'm yet to be confirmed. :p

Boi.

TIME TO GET YOU CONFIRMED.

*Gentle push toward your parish church.*

:3
-Alan Jackson

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 23, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:43 am

Salus Maior wrote:
Ignoring what literally everyone in the ancient world thought about the matter is not a protestant attitude.

Was infant the baptism the norm for the last two thousands years ? Only a few centuries ago kids below the age of 5 did not even get a name because it was unlikely they survived...
Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
- Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

Lady Scylla
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 22, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Lady Scylla » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:46 am

Hakons wrote:
Lady Scylla wrote:

Good answer. I wanted to see if you were being genuinely honest in wanting people to explore their options, or if you were solely trying to force people into taking Christian classes.

Pasong Tirad
Postmaster-General

Democratic Socialists

Postby Pasong Tirad » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:49 am

The Alma Mater wrote:
Salus Maior wrote:

Was infant the baptism the norm for the last two thousands years ? Only a few centuries ago kids below the age of 5 did not even get a name because it was unlikely they survived...

Easy enough to Google.

Menassa
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Menassa » Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:37 am

Arcanstotska wrote:
Luminesa wrote:Ah. :3

Nope. I've never seen your nations before. I'm so devoted to Christendom, my nation's national religion is Christianity. Man, it is so nice to be on a Christian thread. Hi! I'm the Empire of Arcanstotska!

Just a bit of a heads up, on this forum we don't necessarily represent how we want our nations to be run. This is more about who we are as people and less so the nationstates side of things. :)
Remember what Amalek did to you on your journey --- Do not Forget!
Their hollow inheritance.
This is my god and I shall exalt him
Jewish Discussion Thread בְּ
"A missionary uses the Bible like a drunk uses a lamppost, not so much for illumination, but for support"
"Imagine of a bunch of Zulu tribesmen told Congress how to read the Constitution, that's how it feels to a Jew when you tell us how to read our bible"
"God said: you must teach, as I taught, without a fee."
"Against your will you are formed, against your will you are born, against your will you live, against your will you die, and against your will you are destined to give a judgement and accounting before the king, king of all kings..."

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General