NATION

PASSWORD

Christian Discussion Thread VIII: Augustine's Revenge.

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

What is your denomination?

Roman Catholic
36%
Eastern Orthodox
9%
Non-Chalcedonian (Oriental Orthodox, Church of the East, etc.)
1%
Anglican/Episcopalian
5%
Lutheran or Reformed (including Calvinist, Presbyterian, etc.)
12%
Methodist
4%
Baptist
9%
Other Evangelical Protestant (Pentecostal, Charismatic, etc.)
7%
Restorationist (LDS Movement, Jehovah's Witness, etc.)
3%
Other Christian
14%

Total votes : 745

Serrus
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 06, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Serrus » Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:21 pm

The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp wrote:My dog is being put down today

There's no sympathy crying emote. Argh! :hug:
Katganistan wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:maybe japan wanted the zombie attack.

Possible. Zombies are cool now.

Eastern Raarothorgren wrote:News websites are good and reasonable soruces of information or they would not be on the internet if they were saying things that were incorrect.

This is why rules exist, kids!
Keshiland wrote:I am yes arguing that the 1st 4 are not binding to the states and yes I know that in most Republican states they would ban the freedom of religion and the freedom of essembally but I don't live there and I hate guns!

The Huskar Social Union wrote:
You glorifted ducking wanabe sea pheasant

Platapusses are not rel

The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 18, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp » Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:38 pm

Serrus wrote:

There's no sympathy crying emote. Argh! :hug:

:hug: Thank you.

He is in a better place now

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:14 pm

The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp wrote:
Pasong Tirad wrote:I'd like to believe you'll see him again, God willing!

the pope agrees

Probably because he's such a St.Francis of Assisi fan :P (That's where he got his Pope name from.)
Traditionalist Catholic, Constitutional Monarchist, Habsburg Nostalgic, Distributist, Disillusioned Millennial.

"In any case we clearly see....That some opportune remedy must be found quickly for the misery and wretchedness pressing so unjustly on the majority of the working class...it has come to pass that working men have been surrendered, isolated and helpless, to the hardheartedness of employers and the greed of unchecked competition." -Pope Leo XIII, Rerum Novarum

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:48 am

Jehovah's Witness at the door
I miss the way Lil Pup barked at people who ran the doorbell....

New Dutch Colonies
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Aug 17, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby New Dutch Colonies » Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:11 pm

Shit happens son.
Work the ground and keep it in order ||| 3%
Dutch/Afrikaner, Constitutionalist/Patriot/Minarchist, non-baptized Christian (to be baptized).
I sexually identify as a close air support aircraft. Please refer to me as brrrrt.
Ave Nex Alea

Keshetar
Attaché

Founded: Nov 06, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Keshetar » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:47 pm

Here is one of my scathing about Christianity

I have been told the idea that things in society have got so evil and dark today that the world is going to end. I'm also told that God is punishing us (or at least America) for turning against him and he won't turn back to protecting us unless all of us submit to him. I'm extremely frustrated at God and Christianity, especially the very devout people. I wish more known or well-meaning Christians would actually not ignore me or say something that was pre-programmed like a robot to me when I tell them my own personal beliefs about God, sexuality, Heaven, etc. I wish they can acknowledge that I have a sensitive heart-but no, as long as God is and never changes and is absolute about everything, I don't want to come back to that guy after I chose to turn my back on him.

He doesn't even care if something that was totally not "normal" and universally catastrophic would happen. We are not protected from things like North Korea and their ever increasingly threatening missiles. I can't say with any confidence that anything bad like that won't ever happen in my lifetime.

I know we do have free will he gave us, but it's not the point. By now, I think I wish God didn't exist. I am always shamed by everyone and the church itself to submit to him.

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:50 pm

New Dutch Colonies wrote:

Shit happens son.

Yeah, but it sucks.

Tarsonis Survivors
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 03, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Tarsonis Survivors » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:54 pm

Keshetar wrote:Here is one of my scathing about Christianity

I have been told the idea that things in society have got so evil and dark today that the world is going to end. I'm also told that God is punishing us (or at least America) for turning against him and he won't turn back to protecting us unless all of us submit to him. I'm extremely frustrated at God and Christianity, especially the very devout people. I wish more known or well-meaning Christians would actually not ignore me or say something that was pre-programmed like a robot to me when I tell them my own personal beliefs about God, sexuality, Heaven, etc. I wish they can acknowledge that I have a sensitive heart-but no, as long as God is and never changes and is absolute about everything, I don't want to come back to that guy after I chose to turn my back on him.

He doesn't even care if something that was totally not "normal" and universally catastrophic would happen. We are not protected from things like North Korea and their ever increasingly threatening missiles. I can't say with any confidence that anything bad like that won't ever happen in my lifetime.

I know we do have free will he gave us, but it's not the point. By now, I think I wish God didn't exist. I am always shamed by everyone and the church itself to submit to him.

I wouldn't exactly call that a "scathing" rant about Christianity. I get your frustrations but this has less to do with Christendom as a whole and more whoever you've been talking to. Christianity isn't a monolith.

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Founded: Mar 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:57 pm

I have to ask, which denomination does your church and community belong to?
Soldati senza confini: Better than an iPod in shuffle more with 20,000 songs.
Tekania wrote:Welcome to NSG, where informed opinions get to bump-heads with ignorant ideology under the pretense of an equal footing.

"When it’s a choice of putting food on the table, or thinking about your morals, it’s easier to say you’d think about your morals, but only if you’ve never faced that decision." - Anastasia Richardson

Current Goal: Flesh out nation factbook.

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:03 pm

:(
You have my secular comfort.
The Blaatschapen should resign

Neanderthaland
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 10, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Neanderthaland » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:06 pm

I'm very sorry.
Ug make fire. Mod ban Ug.

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:06 pm

The Blaatschapen wrote:

:(
You have my secular comfort.

Thank you. :hug:

Neanderthaland wrote:

I'm very sorry.

And thank you. :hug:

Thank you everyone for the comfort you have given me.
Last edited by The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp on Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Keshetar
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Keshetar » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:16 pm

Tarsonis Survivors wrote:

I wouldn't exactly call that a "scathing" rant about Christianity. I get your frustrations but this has less to do with Christendom as a whole and more whoever you've been talking to. Christianity isn't a monolith.

I guess "scathing" wasn't technically the right word in the context, but my point is that Christians across denominations support various doctrines that are universally common or very similar.

Anyway, you know what my real personal version of Heaven will be? Growing up in the USA when there was less dysfunction when my parents and grandparents were alive or growing up, when SJWs, anti-man/feminists, radicalism, and more plausible nuclear threats or other "end of the world" (like EMP or anything else) scenarios than during the cold war years didn't exist or weren't in completely full force and we lived in a more homogeneous society with good jobs and families, it was also when technology advanced, but not as much to the point where we can't keep up with it. I was only alive for 25 years today, and the first half I was younger and didn't take advantage of the better times people had in the "real" world. It sucks so bad sometimes.

I don't really know if there is anyone else around my own age or any significant group of them who agrees with my concerns or outlook.

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Founded: Mar 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:24 pm

Keshetar wrote:

I guess "scathing" wasn't technically the right word in the context, but my point is that Christians across denominations support various doctrines that are universally common or very similar.

Anyway, you know what my real personal version of Heaven will be? Growing up in the USA when there was less dysfunction when my parents and grandparents were alive or growing up, when SJWs, anti-man/feminists, radicalism, and more plausible nuclear threats or other "end of the world" (like EMP or anything else) scenarios than during the cold war years didn't exist or weren't in completely full force and we lived in a more homogeneous society with good jobs and families, it was also when technology advanced, but not as much to the point where we can't keep up with it. I was only alive for 25 years today, and the first half I was younger and didn't take advantage of the better times people had in the "real" world. It sucks so bad sometimes.

I don't really know if there is anyone else around my own age or any significant group of them who agrees with my concerns or outlook.

I'm 28, and I think you're overestimating several of these issues and their impact. And no, not really, Christians even across denominations don't agree with various doctrines even when they may seem universally common.
Soldati senza confini: Better than an iPod in shuffle more with 20,000 songs.
Tekania wrote:Welcome to NSG, where informed opinions get to bump-heads with ignorant ideology under the pretense of an equal footing.

"When it’s a choice of putting food on the table, or thinking about your morals, it’s easier to say you’d think about your morals, but only if you’ve never faced that decision." - Anastasia Richardson

Current Goal: Flesh out nation factbook.

Narland
Minister

Founded: Apr 19, 2013
Anarchy

Postby Narland » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:27 pm

My condolences to you and your family. You will be in my prayers. :(

Tarsonis Survivors
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Tarsonis Survivors » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:37 pm

Keshetar wrote:

I don't see what the current dysfunction of American Socio-politics, has to do with God.

Keshetar
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Keshetar » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:39 pm

Soldati Senza Confini wrote:
Keshetar wrote:

I'm 28, and I think you're overestimating several of these issues and their impact. And no, not really, Christians even across denominations don't agree with various doctrines even when they may seem universally common.

Maybe I am, but it doesn't account much for that none of the churches or denominations "officially" agree (or even teach against completely). And what you said might be more true in other western countries, but is probably less true in the United States, because I was born and (mildly) proud to be here after all.

Keshetar
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Keshetar » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:42 pm

Keshetar wrote:

I don't see what the current dysfunction of American Socio-politics, has to do with God.

I don't necessarily get set on that idea. I'm just not so confident sometimes and even though I guess I call myself a quiet/casual conservative a lot, I can't be entirely doubtful that those who are suggesting these stuff are correct, especially in the last 10-20 years.

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:43 pm

Eh, I wouldn't listen to hellfire preachers like that who say "oh THIS is because of *insert political issue here* so you have to do THIS to make up for it!" They don't know God's mind, they can't speak for Him like that. They know no better than the rest of us.

Even if the entire country turned into a bunch of Bible-thumping Churchgoers tomorrow, that wouldn't stop hurricanes or natural disasters or political tenseness from happening. Christ never promised us an easy-going life, He never said that we wouldn't have adversity whether we were devout or not. In fact, He consistently said that the life of a Christian would be a difficult one. So yeah, the preachers you're talking about are out of their gourd with their preaching.
Traditionalist Catholic, Constitutional Monarchist, Habsburg Nostalgic, Distributist, Disillusioned Millennial.

"In any case we clearly see....That some opportune remedy must be found quickly for the misery and wretchedness pressing so unjustly on the majority of the working class...it has come to pass that working men have been surrendered, isolated and helpless, to the hardheartedness of employers and the greed of unchecked competition." -Pope Leo XIII, Rerum Novarum

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:52 pm

Narland wrote:

My condolences to you and your family. You will be in my prayers. :(

Thank you.

Tarsonis Survivors
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Tarsonis Survivors » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:58 pm

Keshetar wrote:

I don't necessarily get set on that idea. I'm just not so confident sometimes and even though I guess I call myself a quiet/casual conservative a lot, I can't be entirely doubtful that those who are suggesting these stuff are correct, especially in the last 10-20 years.

Again, this isn't exactly a religious issue, more a sociopolitical one. I can understand feeling uneasy about political pursuasions in the current climate. But at best all I can advise you is to compartmentalize your thought processes. Don't inherently tie your political identity to your religous one.

Maineiacs
Negotiator

Founded: May 26, 2005
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Maineiacs » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:11 pm

Keshetar wrote:

Again, this isn't exactly a religious issue, more a sociopolitical one. I can understand feeling uneasy about political pursuasions in the current climate. But at best all I can advise you is to compartmentalize your thought processes. Don't inherently tie your political identity to your religous one.

I very much agree with this sentiment. There are always going to be blind spots in any party's agenda.
Economic:-8.12 Social:-7.59 Moral Rules:5 Moral Order:-5
Muravyets: Maineiacs, you are brilliant, too! I stand in delighted awe.
Sane Outcasts:When your best case scenario is five kilometers of nuclear contamination, you know someone fucked up.
Geniasis: Christian values are incompatible with Conservative ideals. I cannot both follow the teachings of Christ and be a Republican. Therefore, I choose to not be a Republican.
Galloism: If someone will build a wall around Donald Trump, I'll pay for it.
Bottle tells it like it is
add 6,928 to post count

Keshetar
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Keshetar » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:54 pm

Keshetar wrote:

I wasn't talking about tying my political identity to my religious one. I don't really like what they have to say about a lot of things, they are most of the ones that are promoting that LGBT people should be frowned (including somewhat of a specific focus on LGBT public figures and the media/entertainment) and even promoting that God himself should eternally punish them. Even though I believe that sometimes, it's more about them saying that they believe is wrong than it is that they are actually making direct threats to LGBT groups, it's still very sick tough-talking to say this type of stuff, especially broadcast on TV as The 700 Club.

That still doesn't make me more confident in my belief that their "prophecies" are by any likelihood total BS.

Nordengrund
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 20, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Nordengrund » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:04 pm

Guys, I have a hernia. Please pray for me.
1 John 1:9

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:07 pm

Nordengrund wrote:Guys, I have a hernia. Please pray for me.

I just did. Get well soon.
Last edited by The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp on Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General